Rama, travelling in the aerial car towards Ayodhya, lands at the hermitage of Bharadwaja the sage. When Rama enquires of Bhardwaja about the welfare of Ayodhya-City, Bharata and his mothers. Bharadwaja informs Rama about their welfare. Further, the sage informs that by virtue of his asceticism, he could know everything about the exploits of Rama from the day he left Ayodhya, till he destroyed Ravana. Then, Rama seeks a boon from Bharadwaja, asking him to make the trees on the route to Ayodhya, to bear fruit in the off-season for which the sage grants the boon. Thereupon, the troops of monkeys feasted on those fruits at will.
पूर्णे चतुर्दशे वर्षे पञ्चम्यां लक्ष्मणाग्रजः |
भरद्वाजाश्रमं प्राप्य ववन्दे नियतो मुनिम् || ६-१२४-१
1. chatrudashe varShe puurNe = after completion of fourteen years (of his exile); paN^chamyaam = and on the fifth day (the bright half) of the lunar month of Ashvayuja (roughly corresponding to the month of september); lakShmaNaagrajaH = Rama; niyataH = who was disciplined even now; raapya = having reached; bharadvaajaashramam = the hermitage of the sage; Bharadwaja; vavande = offered his salutation; (to the sage).
After completion of fourteen years of his exile and on the fifth day of the bright half of the lunar month of Ashvayuja (roughly corresponding to the month of September), Rama, who was disciplined even now, reaching the hermitage of the sage Bharadwaja, offered his salutation to the sage.
सोऽपृच्छदभिवाद्यैनं भरद्वाजं तपोधनम् |
शृणोषि कच्चिद्भगवन् सुभिक्षानामयं पुरे || ६-१२४-२
कच्चित्स युक्तो भरतो जीवन्त्यपि च मातरः |
2. abhivaadya = having offered his obeisance; bharadvaajam = to the sage; Bharadwaja; enam tapodhanam = who was rich in this asceticism; saH = Rama; apR^ichchhat = enquired; bhagaran = O venerable one!; shR^iNoShi kachchit = have you heard; pure = of Ayodhya city; subhikShaanaamayam = having an abundance of food and free from disease?; saH bharataH kachchit = is that Bharata; yuktaH = attentive (in his rule)?; maataraH mama jiivanti = I hope my mothers are (still) alive.
Having offered his obeisance to Bharadwaja, who was rich in asceticism, Rama enquired (of him): "Have you heard, O venerable one, of Ayodhya City having an abundance of food and free from disease? Is that Bharata attentive in his rule? I hope my mothers are still alive."
एवमुक्तस्तु रामेण भरद्वाजो महामुनिः || ६-१२४-३
प्रत्युवाच रघुश्रेष्ठं स्मितपूर्वं प्रहृष्टवत् |
3. evam = thus; uktaH = spoken; raameNa = by Rama; bharadvaajaH = Bharadwaja; mahaamuniH = the great sage; prahR^iShTavat = quite rejoiced as he was; pratyuvaacha = replied; smitapuurvam = with a smile; raghushreShTham = to Rama (as follows):
Hearing the words of Rama, Bharadwaja the great sage, quite rejoiced as he was, smilingly replied to Rama (as follows):
पङ्कदिग्धस्तु भरतो जटिलस्त्वां प्रतीक्षते || ६-१२४-४
पादुके ते पुरस्कृत्य सर्वं च कुशलं गृहे |
4. bharataH = Bharata; paN^kadigdhaH tu = mud-smeared as he is (throwing the burden and blame ie. mud on himself); jaTilaH = with his hari twisted together; puraskR^itya = and keeping in front; te paaduke = your wooden sandals; pratiikShate = is looking forward; tvaam = for you; sarvam cha = all are; kshalam = safe; gR^ihe = at your home and in the city.
"Bharata, with his mud-smeared limbs 9throwing the burden and blame ie. mud and with matted locks, as also placing your wooden-sandals before him, is looking forward for your arrival. All are safe at your home and in the city."
त्वां पुरा चीरवसनं प्रविशन्तं महावनम् || ६-१२४-५
स्त्रीतृतीयं च्युतं राज्याद्धर्मकामं च केवलम् |
पदातिं त्यक्तसर्वस्वं पितृनिर्देशकारिणम् || ६-१२४-६
सर्वभोगैः परित्यक्तं स्वर्गच्युतम्वामरम् |
दृष्ट्वा तु करुणा पूर्वं ममासीत्समितिंजय || ६-१२४-७
कैकेयीवचने युक्तं वन्यमूलफलाशिनम् |
5-7. samitimjaya = O Rama; the victorious in battles!; puraa = formerly; dR^iShTvaa = on seeing; tvaam = you; pravishantam = penetrating deeply; mahaavanam = into the great forest; padaatim = on foot; kevalam dharmakaamam cha = with the sole intention of practicing virtue; chiiravasanam = clad in pieces of bark; chyutam = going away; raajyaat = from the sovereignty; sarvabhogaiH paritaktam = deprived of all enjoyments; amaram iva = like an immortal; svarga chyutam = fallen from heaven; tyakta sarvasvam = having renounced all your possession; striitR^itiiyam = with your spouse (Seetha) as the third (of your party besides Lakshmana and yourself); pitR^inirdeshakaariNam = resolved in carrying out the behest of your father; kaikeyii vachane yuktam = and intent on implementing the pledge given (by your father) to Kaikeyi; vanyamuula phalaashinam = and living; on wild roots and fruits; mama aashiit karuNaa = pity arose in me; puurvam = earlier.
"O Rama, the victorious in battles! Formerly, on seeing you penetrating deeply into the great forest on foot, with the sole intention of practicing virtue, clad in pieces of bark, going away from sovereignty, deprived of all enjoyments, like an immortal fallen from heaven, having renounced all your possession, with your spouse (Seetha) as the third (of your party besides Lakshmana and yourself), resolved in carrying out the behest of your father and intent on implementing the pledge given (by your father) to Kaikeyi and living on wild roots and fruits, pity arose in me earlier."
सांप्रतम् तु समृद्धार्थं समित्रगणबान्धवम् || ६-१२४-८
समीक्ष्य विजितारिं च ममाभूत्प्रीतिरुत्तमा |
8. sampratamtu = but now; uttamaa priitiH = a great delight; abhuut = occurred; mama = to me; samiikShya = on seeing; samR^iddhaartham = you; having fulfilled your purpose; vijitaarim = that you have conquered your enemies; samitragaNa baandhavam = and are accompanied by your host of friends and relatives.
"But now, a great delight occurred to me, on seeing you, having fulfilled your purpose, that you have conquered your enemies and are accompanied by your host of friends and relatives."
सर्वं च सुखकुःखं ते विदितं ममम् राघव |
यत्त्वया विपुलं प्राप्तं जनस्थाननिवासिना || ६-१२४-९
9. sarvam viditam = it is completely known; mama = to me; te = of you; janasthaana nivaasinaa = having resided in Janasthana forest; praaptam = and having to; yat vipulam = that abundant; sukha duHkham = joy and sorrow; tvayaa = by you; raaghava = o Rama!
"That joy and sorrow experienced by you in abundance while residing in Janasthana-forest in completely known to me, O Rama!"
ब्राह्मणार्थे नियुक्तस्य रक्षतः सर्वतापसान् |
रावणेन हृता भार्या बभूवेयमनिन्दिता || ६-१२४-१०
10. rakShataH = (While) you were protecting; sarvataapasaan = all the ascetics; niyuktasya = who prayed; braahmaNaarthe = for safe guarding the interest of Brahmanas; aninditaa iyam = this irreproachible wife of yours; babhuuva hR^itaa = was taken away; raavaNena = by Ravana.
"While you were busy in protecting all the ascetics who prayed you for safeguarding the interests of Brahmanas, this irreproachable wife of yours was taken away by Ravana."
मारीचदर्शनं चैव सीतोन्मथनमेव च |
कबन्धदर्शनं चैव पम्पाभिगमनं तथा || ६-१२४-११
सुग्रीवेण च ते सख्यं यथा वाली हतस्त्वया |
मार्गणं चैव वैदेह्याः कर्म वातात्मजस्य च || ६-१२४-१२
विदितायां च सीतायां नलसेतुर्यथा कृतः |
यथा चादीपिता लङ्का प्रहृष्टूररियूथपैः || ६-१२४-१३
सपुत्रबान्दवामात्यः सबलः सहावाहनः |
यथा च निहतः संख्ये रावणो बलदर्पितः || ६-१२४-१४
यथा च निहते तस्मिन् रावणे देवकण्टके |
समागमश्च त्रिदशैर्यथा दत्तश्च ते वरः || ६-१२४-१५
सर्वम् ममैतद्विदितं तपसा धर्मवत्सल |
संपतन्ति च मे शिष्याः प्रवृत्त्याख्याः पुरीमितः || ६-१२४-१६
11-16. dharmavatsala = O Rama; devoted to virtue!; maariicha darshanamchaiva = even the apearance of Mareecha; siitonmattanevacha = the abduction of Seetha (by Ravana); kabandhadarshanam chaiva = the sight of Kabandha; tathaa = and pampaabhigamanam = your arrival at the Pampa lake; te sakhyam = your alliance; sugriiveNa = with Sugreeva; yathaa = and how; vaali = Vali; hataH = was killed; tvayaa = by you; maargaNam = the search; vaidehyaam = for Seetha; yathaa = how; nala setuH = the bridge; Nalasetu; kR^itaH = was constructed (over the sea); yathaa = how; laN^kaa = the city of Lanka; aadiipitaa = was set fire; prahR^iShTaiH hariyuuthapaiH = by the rejoiced monkey-chiefs; yathaa = how; tasmin raavaNe = that Ravana; devakaNTake = who was a thorn in the side of god; bala darpitaH = and who was arrogant of his might; nihataH = was killed; samkhye = in battle; saputra baandhavaamaatyaH = with his sons; kinsfolk and ministers; sabalaH = as well as his army; saharaahanaH = together with their mounts; yathaa = how samaagamaH = yur meeting; tridashaiH = with the gods (occured); yathaa = how; varaH cha = a boon; dattashcha = was conferred; te = on you; sarvam etat = all this; viditam = is known; mayaa = to me; tapasaa = by virtue of my asceticism; me shiShaaH = my disciples; pravR^ittaakhyaaH = who were accustomed to report to me the news; sampatnti = used to go; puriim = to Ayodhya City; itaH = from here.
"O Rama, devoted to virtue! Even the appearance of Mareecha, the abduction of Seetha by Ravana, the sight of Kabandha, your arrival at the Pampa lake, your alliance with Sugreeva, how Vali was killed by you, the search-operation for Seetha, the exploit of Hanuma, the tracing of Seetha, how the bridge, Nalasetu was constructed (over the sea), how the City of Lanka was set fire by the rejoiced monkey-chiefs, how that Ravana who was the thorn in the side of gods and how was arrogant of his might, was killed in battle, with his sons kinsfolk and his ministers as the gods happened, how a boon was conferred by them on you- all this is known to me by virtue of my asceticism. My disciples, who were accustomed to report to me the news, used to go to Ayodhya-City from here."
मित्राणि धन धान्यानि प्रजानां सम्मतानिव |
जननी नन्म भूमिश्च स्वर्गादपि गरीयसी || ६-१२४-१७
17. mitraaNi = the friends; dhana dhaanyaani = the riches and the grains; sammataani = are highly honoured; iha = in this world; jananii = mother; janmabhuumishcha = and mother-land; gariiyasii = and far superior; svargaadapi = to even the heaven.
"The friends, the riches and the grains are highly honoured in this world. Mother and mother-land are far superior to even the heaven."
तस्य तच्छिरसा वाक्यं प्रतिगृह्य नृपात्मजः |
बाढमित्येव संहृष्टः श्रीमान्वरमयाचत || ६-१२४-१८
18. shirasaa tasya tat vaakyam pratigR^iya = bowing to the aforesaid statement of the sage with his head bent low; samhR^iShTaH = highly pleased as he was; baaDham ityeva = and saying by all means"; shriimaan = the glorious; nR^ipaatmajaH = prince (Rama); aayaachat = asked to him; varam = the following boon:
Bowing to the aforesaid statement of the sage with his head bent low, highly pleased as he was and saying, "By all means" the glorious prince (Rama) asked of him the following boon:
अकालफलिनो वृक्षाः सर्वे चापि मधुस्रवाः |
फलान्यमृतगन्धीनि बहूनि विविधानि च || ६-१२४-१९
भवन्तु मार्गे भवन्नयोध्यां प्रति गच्छतः |
19. nhagavan = O the venerable sir!; sarvechaapi vR^ikShaaH = let all the trees; maarge = on the way; gachchhataH = even as I fly; ayodhyaam prati = To Ayodhya; akaalaphalinaH = bear fruit even in the off-season; madhusravaaH = and flow with honey; bahuuni vividhaani cha phalaani = let abundant fruits of various kinds; amR^itagandhiini = and emitting the fragrance of nectar; bhavantu = appear on them.
"O venerable sir! Let all the trees on the way, even as I fly to Ayodhya, bear fruit even in the off-season and flow with honey. Let abundant fruits of various kinds, emitting the fragrance of nectar, appear on them."
तथेति च प्रतिज्ञाते वचनात्समनन्तरम् || ६-१२४-२०
अभवन्पादपास्तत्र स्वर्गपादपसंनिभाः |
20. tatheti pratiJNaate samanantaram vachanam = once the consent was given in the words "Be it so"; paadapaaH = the trees; tatra = there; abhavan = grew; svarga paadapa samnibhaaH = to be closely like the heavenly trees.
Once the consent of the sage was given in the words "be it so", the trees there grew to be closely like the heavenly trees.
निष्फलाः फलिनश्चासन्विपुष्पाः पुष्पशालिनः || ६-१२४-२१
शुष्काः समग्रपत्रास्ते नगाश्चैव मधुस्रवाः |
सर्वतो योजनास्त्रिस्रो गच्छतामभवंस्तदा || ६-१२४-२२
21-22. tadaa = then; tistraH yojanaaH = three Yojanas (twenty four miles); gachchhataam = of the direction of their travel; nagaaH = the trees; niShphalaaH = that no longer bore fruit; phalinashcha = were laden with fruit; vipuShpaaH = and those which had ceased to blossom; puShpashaalinaH = looked charming with blossom; shuShkaaH = the withered trees; samagra patraashcha = were fully clothed with foliage; abhavan madhusravaaH = and further began to flow with honey.
Then, for an extent of three Yojanas (twenty four miles) on all sides, in the direction of their travel, the trees that no longer bore fruit, were laden with fruit and those which had ceased to blossom looked charming with blossom. The withered trees were fully clothed with foliage and further began to flow with honey.
ततः प्रहृष्टाः प्लवगर्षभास्ते |
बहूनि दिव्यानि फलानि चैव |
कामादुपाश्नन्ति सहस्रशस्ते |
मुदान्विताः स्वर्गजितो मुदेव || ६-१२४-२३
23. te vaanararShabhaaH = those monkey-chiefs; prahR^iShTaaH = were highly pleased; anvitaaH = and endowed; mudena = with delight; svargajitaH = as those who had conquered the heaven; tataH = thereupon upaashnanti consumed; kaamaat = at will; sahasrashaH = thousands; bahuuni divyaani phalaani = of many of those wonderful fruits.
Highly rejoiced who had conquered the heaven, those monkey-chiefs thereupon consumed at will, thousands of many of those wonderful fruits.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायने आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे चतुर्विंशत्यधिक शततमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© October 2009, K. M. K. Murthy