Book VI : Yuddha Kanda - Book Of War
Akampana enters the battle-field and assails the monkeys with his bow and arrows. Then, Hanuman comes to the rescue of the monkeys. A great fight ensued between Akampana and Hanuman. Hanuman strikes the head of Akampana with a huge tree and Akampana dies. All the demons take to their heels and return to Lanka.
tad dåñövä sumahat karma kåtam vänara sattamaiù |
krodham ähärayäm äsa yudhi tévram akampanaù || 6-56-1
1. dR^iSTvaa= seeing; tat= that; sumahat= very great; karma= exploit; kR^itam= done; vaanara sattamaiH= by the chiefs of monkeys; yudhi= in the battle; akampanaH= Akampana; aahaarayaamaasa= was seized; tiivram= a fierce; krodham= anger.
Seeing that very great exploit executed by the chiefs of monkeys in the battle, Akampana was seized with a fierce anger.
krodha mürcita rüpas tu dhnuvan parama kärmukam |
dåñövä tu karma çatrüëäm särathim väkyam abravét || 6-56-2
2. dR^iSTvaa= witnessing; karma= the work; shatruuNaam= of the enemies; krodha muurchhitaruupaH= appearing fully of fierce anger; dhunvan= and moving; parama kaarmukam= his great bow; abraviit= spoke; vaakyam= the following words; saarathim= to his charioteer.
Witnessing that work of the enemies, his features were distorted by anger and brandishing his powerful bow, Akampana addressed his charioteer in these words.
tatra eva tävat tvaritam ratham präpaya särathe |
ete atra bahavo ghnanti subahün räkñasän raëe || 6-56-3
3. saarathi= O, charioteer!; ete balinaH= these strong monkeys; ghnanti= are killing; subahuun= innumerable; raakSasaan= demons; raNe= in the battle; praapaya= get; ratham= the chariot; tatraiva= just there; tvaritaH= soon.
"Drive the chariot quickly to that place, for, those monkeys are killing innumerable demons on the battle field."
ete atra balavanto hi bhéma käyäç ca vänaräù |
druma çaila praharaëäs tiñöhanti pramukhe mama || 6-56-4
4. ete= these; vaanaraaH= monkeys; balavantaH= who are strong; bhiimakopaashcha= with terrific anger; druma shaila praharaNaaH= with trees and rocks as their weapons; tiSThanti= are standing; mama= in my; pramukhe= front; atra= here.
"Those arrogant monkeys of terrific ferocity, armed with trees and rocks, dare to affront me here."
etän nihantum iccämi samara çläghino hy aham |
etaiù pramathitam sarvam dåçyate räkñasam balam || 6-56-5
5.aham ichchhami= I wish; nihantum= to kill; etaan= these monkeys; samarashlaaghinaH= who are praising themselves in battle; sarvam= all; balam= the army; rakSasaaam= of demons; dR^ishyate= who are seen; pramathitam= to be crushed; etaiH= by them.
"I wish to kill those andicious monkeys, who are seen herassing all the army of demons."
tataù prajavita açvena rathena rathinäm varaù |
harén abhyahanat krodhät çara jälair akampanaù || 6-56-6
6. tataH= thereafter; rathena= in his chariot; prachalitaashvena= drawn by fast-moving horses; akampanaH= Akampana; varaH= the most skillful; rathinaam= of chariot-warriors; sharajaalaiH= with a hail of darts; abhyapatat= assailed hariin= the monkeys; duuraat= from a distance.
Thereafter, in his chariot, drawn by fast-moving horses, Akampana the most skillful of chariot-warriors, with a hail of darts, assailed the monkeys from a distance.
na sthätum vänaräh çekuh kim punar yoddhum ähave |
akampana çarair bhagnäh sarvaeva pradudruvuù || 6-56-7
7. vaanaraaH= the monkeys; na shekuH= were no longer able; sthaatum= to maintain their formation; aahave= in the battle; kim punaH= how much less; yuddhum= to fight; sarve eva= all of them; bhagnaaH= were crushed; akampana sharaiH= under the shafts of Akampana; abhidudruvuH= and took to their heels.
The monkeys were no longer able to maintain their formation, much less fight in the battle. all of them were crushed under the shifts of Akampana and took to their heels.
tän måtyu vaçam äpannän akampana vaçam gatän |
samékñya hanumän jnätén upatasthe mahä balaù || 6-56-8
8. samiikSya= seeing; taan= those; jJNaatiin= companions; aapannaan= getting; mR6ityu vasham= under the sway of death; akampana sharaanugaan= pursued by Akampana's darts; mahaabalaH= the mighty; hanumaan= Hanuman; upatasthe= went to their rescue.
Seeing those companions, getting under the sway of death pursued by Akampana's darts, the mighty Hanuman went to their rescue.
tam mahä plavagam dåñövä sarve plavaga yüthapäù |
sametya samare véräh sahitäh paryavärayan || 6-56-9
9. dR^iSTvaa= seeing; tam= him; mahaa plavagam= the giant monkey; sarve= all; te= those; viiraaH= valiant; plavagarSabhaaH= and best of the monkeys; hahitaaH= together; sametya= approached; paryavaarayan= and surrounded him.
Seeing Hanuman their great leader, all those valiant and the best of the monkeys together rallied and grouped themselves boldly round him.
vyavasthitam hanümantam te dåñövä hari yüthapäù |
babhüvur balavanto hi balavantam upäçritäù || 6-56-10
10. dR^iSTvaa= observing; hanuumantam= Hanuman; vyavasthitam= standing comageously; te= those; plavagarSabhaH= excellent monkeys; upaashritaaH= took shelter; balavantam= in his powerfulness; babhuuvuH= and became; balavantaH hi= indeed powerful.
Observing Hanuman's courage, those excellent monkeys took shelter in his powerfulness and became powerfulness and became powerful indeed.
akampanas tu çaila äbham hanümantam avasthitam |
mahä indraiva dhäräbhih çarair abhivavarña ha || 6-56-11
11. akampastu= Akampana; mahendraH iva= like Mahendra, the lord of celestials; abhivavarSaha= assailed; dharaabhiH= a hail; sharaiaH= of arrows; hanuumantam= on Hanuman; avasthitam= who remained as firm; shailaabham= as a rock.
Akampana, like Mahendra the Lord of celestials, assailed a hail of arrows on Hanuman, who remained as firm as a rock.
acintayitvä bäëa oghän çarére patitän çitän |
akampana vadha arthäya mano dadhre mahä balaù || 6-56-12
12. achintayitvaa= heedless; baaNaughaan= of the flood of weapons; patitaan= that fell; shariire= upon his body; mahaabalaH= the mighty; kapiH= Hanuman; manaH dadhre= resolved in his mind; akampanavadhaarthaaya= to slay Akampana.
Heedless of the flood of weapons that fell upon his body, the mighty Hanuman resolved in his mind to slay Akampana.
sa prahasya mahä tejä hanümän märuta ätmajaù |
abhidudräva tad rakñah kampayann iva mediném || 6-56-13
13. prahasya= laughing heartily; saH= that; hanumaan= Hanuma; mahaatejaaH= of great splendour; maarutaatmajaH= and thes on of Maruta the wind-god; abhirudraava= leapt; tat raakSaH= on that demon; mediniim= causing the earth; kampayanniva= to shake as it were.
Laughing heartily , that Hanuman, the son of Maruta the wind-god and possessing a great splendour, leapt on the demon, causing the earth to shake as it were.
tasya abhinardamänasya dépyamänasya tejasä |
babhüva rüpam durdharñam déptasya iva vibhävasoù || 6-56-14
14. diipta maanasya= while burning; tejasaa= with energy; nardamaanasya= and emitting yells; tasya= his; ruupam= form; babhuuva= became; durdharSam= difficult to overpower; diiptasya vibhaavasoH iva= like a blazing fire; atha= thereafter.
As he roared burning with energy, the form of Hanuman became difficult to overpower, like a blazing fire.
ätmänam tv apraharaëam jnätvä krodha samanvitaù |
çailam utpäöayäm äsa vegena hari pumgavaù || 6-56-15
15. jJNaatvaa= knowing; aatmaanam= himself; a praharaNam= to be bereft of any weapon; haripuN^gavaH= Hanuman the excellent monkey; krodha saman votaH= with anger; utpaaTayaamaasa= uplifted; shailam= a mountian; vegena= quickly.
Knowing himself to be bereft of any weapon, Hanuman the excellent monkey, with a rage, uplifted a mountain quickly.
tam gåhétvä mahä çailam päëinä ekena märutiù |
vinadya sumahä nädam bhrämayäm äsa véryavän || 6-56-16
16. saH= that; viiryavaan= valiant; maarutiH= Hanuman; gR^ihiitvaa= seizing; sumahaashailam= very great mountain; ekena paaNinaa= with one hand; vinadye mahaanaadam= letting up a roar; bhraamayaamaasa= began to spin it rapidly.
That valiant Hanuman, seizing a very great mountain with one hand and letting up a roar, began to spin it rapidly.
tatas tam abhidudräva räkñasa indram akampanam |
yathä hi namucim samkhye vajreëa iva puram daraù || 6-56-17
17. tataH= thereafter; puraa iva= as formerly; samkhye= in an encounter; purandaraH= Indra the Lord of celestials; vajreNa= (hurled) his thunderbolt; namuchimiva= at Namuchi; (Hanuman); abhirudraava= rushed; tam akampanam= towards that Akampana.
Thereafter, as formerly in an encounter Indra the Lord of celestials hurled his thunderbolt at Namuchi, Hanuman rushed towards Akampana.
akampanas tu tad dåñövä giri çångam samudyatam |
düräd eva mahä bäëair ardha candrair vyadärayat || 6-56-18
18. dR^iSTvaa= beholding; samudyatam= uplifted; girishR^iN^gam= mountain-peak; akampanstu= Akampana on his part; adaarayat= shattered it;duuraadeva= even from a distance; mahaa baaNaiH= by mighty arrows; ardhachandraiH= each having the shape of a crescent.
Beholding that crag flying towards him, Akampana shattered it even from a distance by means of his great crescent-shaped arrows.
tat parvata agram äkäçe rakño bäëa vidäritam |
vikérëam patitam dåñövä hanümän krodha mürcitaù || 6-56-19
19. dR^iSTvaa= seeing; tam= that; parvataagram= rocky peak; rakSobaaNa vidaaritam= shattered by the demon's arrows; patitam= and falling; vikiirNam= in pieces; aakaashee= in the sky; hanumaan= Hanuman; krodha muurchhitaH= became mad with anger.
Seeing that rocky peak shatterd in the air by the demon's arrows and falling in pieces, Hanuman became mad with anger.
so açva karëam samäsädya roña darpa anvito hariù |
türëam utpäöayäm äsa mahä girim iva uccritam || 6-56-20
20. samaasaadya= approaching; ashvakarNam= an Ashvakarna tree; mahaagirimiva= as large as a mountain; roSadarpaanvitaH= in the transport of rage that possessed him; saH= that; hariH= Hanuman; utpaaTayaamaasa= uprooted it; tuurNam= speedily.
Approaching an Ashwakarna tree as large as a mountain, in the transport of rage that possessed him, that Hanuman uprooted it speedily.
tam gåhétvä mahä skandham so açva karëam mahä dyutiù |
pragåhya parayä prétyä bhrämayämäsa bhütale || 6-56-21
21. saH= that Hanuman; mahaadutiH= of great strength; gR^ihiitvaa= taking hold; tam ashvakarNam= of that Ashwakarna tree; mahaa skandam= with large branches; pragR^ihya= and tightly holding it; parayaa priityaa= with grea delight; bhraamayaamaasa= spinned it; bhuutale= on the ground.
Taking hold of that Ashvakarna tree with large branches, in his great strength, Hanuman with immense delight spinned it, while standing on the ground.
pradhävann uru vegena prabhanjams tarasä drumän |
hanümän parama kruddhaç caraëair därayat kñitim || 6-56-22
22. paramakR^iddhaH= the highly enraged; hanumaan= hanuman; pradhaavan= began to run; uruvegena= with great strides; babhaN^jaH= breaking down; drumaan= the trees; tarasaa= by his strength; daarayan= and tearing up; mahiim= the earth; charaNaiH= with his feet.
Then, the highly enraged Hanuman began to run with great strides, breaking down the trees by his strength and tearing up the earth with his feet.
gajämsù ca sagaja ärohän sarathän rathinas tathä |
jaghäna hanumän dhémän räkñasämç ca padätikän || 6-56-23
23. hanumaan= Hanuman; jaghaana= struck down; gajaamshcha= elephants; sagajaarohaan= as also who rode upon them; rathinaH= and charioteers; sarathaan= with their chariots; bhiimaan= and the terrific; padaatigaan= infantry; raakSasaan= of demons.
Hanuman struck down elephants as also who rode upon them and charioteers with their chariots and the terrific infantry of demons.
tam antakam iva kruddham samare präëa häriëam |
hanümantam abhiprekñya räkñasä vipradudruvuù || 6-56-24
24. abhiprekSya= seeing; tam hanuumantam= that Hanuman; antakmiva= like unto Yama the Destroyer of Vital breaths; kruddham= full of wrath; sadrumam= aimed with a tree; praNahaariNam= and taking off lives; raakSasaaH= the demons; vipradudruvuH= took to flight.
Seeing that Hanuman, like unto Yama the Destroyer of vital Breaths, full of wrath armed with a tree and taking off lives, the demons took of flight.
tam äpatantam samkruddham räkñasänäm bhaya ävaham |
dadarça akampano véraç cukrodha ca nanäda ca || 6-56-25
25. viiraH= the valiant; akampanaH= Akampana; dadarsha= beheld; tam= that Hanuman; samkruddham= who was enraged; aapatantam= and rushing on; bhayaavaham= sowing terror; raakSasaanaam= among his demons; chukSobha cha= was greatly perturbed; nanaada cha= and set up a mighty shout.
The valiant Akampana, beholding that Hanuman who was enraged and rushing on, sowing terror among his soldiers, was greatly perturbed and set up a mighty shout.
sa caturdaçabhir bäëaih çitair deha vidäraëaiù |
nirbibheda hanümantam mahä véryam akampanaù || 6-56-26
26. saH akampanaH= that Akampana; dasha dashabhiH= with his fourteen; nishitaiH= sharp; baaNaiH= arrows; deha daaraNaiH nirbibhedha= pierced that tore the body; mahaa viiryam= the highly valiant; hanumantam= Hanuman.
With fourteen sharp arrows that tore the flesh, that Akampana pierced the highly valiant Hanuman.
sa tathä pratividdhas tu bahvébhih çara våñöibhiù |
hanümän dadåçe vérah prarüòhaiva sänumän || 6-56-27
27. viprakiirNaH= Riddled; shita shaktibhiH= with sharp-pointed; naaraachaiH= iron shafts; saH viiraH= that warrior; hanumaan= Hanuman; dadR^ishe= appeared; saanumaaniva= like a mountain; pravuuDhaH= on which number of plants sprang up.
Riddled with sharp-pointed shafts, that warrior Hanuman appeared like a mountain on which a number of plants shooted up.
viraräja mahävéryo mahäkäyo mahäbalaù |
puñpitäçokasamkäço vidhüma iva pävakaù || 6-56-28
28. mahaabalaH= the mighy Hanuman; mahaaviiryaH= of great strength; mahaa kaayaH= with a large body; viraraaja= shone; paavakaH iva= like a fire; vidhuumaH= without smoke; puSpitaashoka samkaashaH= and resembling an Ashoka tree in flowering.
That mighty Hanuman of great strength with a large body shone like a fire without smoke and resembled a blooming Ashoka tree.
tato anyam våkñam utpäöya kåtvä vegam anuttamam |
çirasy abhijaghäna äçu räkñasa indram akampanam || 6-56-29
29. tatH= thereafter; kR^itvaa= showing; anuttamam= a great; vegam= haste; utpaaTya= in uprooting; anyam= another; vR^ikSam= tree; (Hanuman); jaghaana= struck; aashu= quickly; shirasi= on the head; akampanam= of Akampana; raakSasendram= the General of demons.
Thereafter, showing a great haste in uprooting another tree, Hanuman struck the head of Akampana the General of demons.
sa våkñeëa hatas tena sakrodhena mahätmanä |
räkñaso vänara indreëa papäta sa mamära ca || 6-56-30
30. hataH= struck; vR^ikSeNa= with a tree; tena vaanarendraNa= by that Hanuman; sakrodhena= the enraged; mahaatmanaa= and the high-souled; saH= that; raakSasaH= demon; papaata= fell down; mamaaracha= and died.
Struck with a tree by that high-souled and enraged Hanuman, that demon fell down and died.
tam dåñövä nihatam bhümau räkñasa indram akampanam |
vyathitä räkñasäh sarve kñiti kampaiva drumäù || 6-56-31
31. dR^iSTvaa= seeing; tam akampanam= that Akampana; raakSasendram= the leader of demons; bhummau= on the ground; nihatam= killed; sarve= all; raakSasaaH= the demons; vyathitaaH= were perturbed; drumaaH iva= as trees; kSitikampe= during an earth-quake.
Seeing their leader Akampana lying lifeless on earth, all the demons trembled as the trees do during an earthquake.
tyakta praharaëäh sarve räkñasäs te paräjitäù |
laìkäm abhiyayus trastä vänarais tair abhidrutäù || 6-56-32
32. sarve= all; te= those; paraajitaaH= defeated; raakSasaaH= demons; abhiyayuH= were going; laN^kaam= towards Lanka; traasaa= due to fear; tyakta praharaNaaH= abandoning their weapons; abhidrutaaH= and having been attacked; taiH vaanaraiH= by those monkeys.
All those defeated warriors, throwing their arms, escaped in the direction of Lanka, terrified, pursued by those monkeys.
te mukta keçäù sambhräntä bhagna mänäh paräjitäù |
sravat çrama jalair angaih çvasanto vipradudruvuù || 6-56-33
33. mukta keshaaH= their hair loosened; sambhraantaaH= bewildered; bhagnamaanaaH= their pride broken; paraajitaaH= by the defeated; aN^gaiH= their limbs; sravachchhramajalaiH= dripping with sweat; te= those demons; vipradudruvuH= fled; shvasantaH= blowing out their breaths.
Their hair loosened, bewildered, their pride broken by defeat, their limbs dripping with sweat, those demons fled, blowing out their breaths.
anyonyam pramamantus te viviçur nagaram bhayät |
påñöhatas te susammüòhäh prekñamäëä muhur muhuù || 6-56-34
34. sammuuDhaaH= mad; bhayaat= with fear; prekSyamaaNaaH= looking; pR^iSThataH= back; muhurmuhuH= again and again; pramathnantaH= crushing; anyonyam= each other; te= they; vivishuH= entered; nagaram= the city.
Mad with fear, looking back again and again and crushing each other in haste, they entered the city.
teñu lankäm praviñöeñu räkñaseñu mahä baläù |
sametya harayah sarve hanümantam apüjayan || 6-56-35
35. teSu raakSaseSu= (when) those demons; praviSTeSu= had entered; laNkaam= Lanka; sarve= all; mahaabalaaH= the mighty; harayaH= monkeys; sametya= approached; hanuumantam= Hanuman; apuujayan= and paid homage (to him).
When those demons had entered Lanka, all the mighty monkeys approached Hanuman and paid homage to him.
so api prahåñöas tän sarvän harén sampratyapüjayat |
hanümän sattva sampanno yathä arham anukülataù || 6-56-36
36. saH= that; hanumaanapi= Hanuman; sattva sampannaH= of noble nature; sampratya puujayat= honoured; sarvaan= all; taan= those; prahR^iSTaH= delighted; hariin= monkeys; yathaarham= in accord with their rank; anukuulataH= as per the occasion.
That Hanuman, of noble nature honoured all those delighted monkeys, in accord with their rank and the occasion.
vinedusù ca yathä präëam harayo jita käçinaù |
cakarñusù ca punas tatra sapräëän eva räkñasän || 6-56-37
37. jitakaashinaH= the triumphant; harayaH= monkeys; vineduH= shouted; yathaa praaNam= in accord with their might; punaH= and once again; chakR^iSushcha= dragged; raakSesaan= the demons; sapraaNaaneva= who were still alive; tatra= there on the battle field.
The triumphant monkeys shouted in accord with their nighty and once again dragged the demons who were still alive there on the battle-field.
sa véra çobhäm abhajan mahä kapiù |
sametya rakñämsi nihatya märutiù |
mahä asuram bhémam amitra näçanam |
yathaiva viñëur balinam camü mukhe || 6-56-38
38. saH mahaakapiH= that great monkey; maarutiH= born of Maruta; sametya= having encountered; nihatya= and killed; rakSaamsi= the demons; abhajat= enjoyed; viira shobham= the heroic lustre; viSNuryathaa= as Vishnu; (when he overcame); mahaasuram= the mighty demons; bhiimam= of terror; urubalam= of immense power; amitranaashanam= destroying his enemies; chamuumukhe= in the forefront of the battle.
That great monkey, born of Maruta having encountered and killed the demons, enjoyed the same renown as Vishnu when he overcame the mighty and terrific demon of immense power destroying his enemies in the forefront of the battle.
apüjayan deva gaëäs tadä kapim |
svayam ca rämo atibalaç ca lakñmaëah |
tathaiva sugréva mukhäh plavam gamä |
vibhéñaëaç caiva mahä balas tadä || 6-56-39
39. tadaa= then; devagaNaaH= the troops of deities; raamaH= along with Rama; svayam= himself; atibalaH= the exceedingly strong; lakSmaNaH cha= Lakshmana; tathaiva= and; sugriiva mukhaaH= Sugreeva etal; plavaNgamaaH= the monkeys; tathaa= and; mahaabalaH= the mighty; vibhiiSaNashchaiva= Vibhishana; apuujayam= paid homage; kapim= to Hanuman.
Then, the troops of deities along with Rama himself, the exceedingly strong Lakshmana, Sugreeva and other monkeys and the mighty Vibhishana paid homage to Hanuman.
ityärñe çrémadrämäyaëe ädikävye yuddhakäëòe ñaöpaïcäçaù sargaù
Thus completes 56th Chapter of Yuddha Kanda of the glorious Ramayana of Valmiki, the work of a sage and the oldest epic.
© March 2006, K. M. K. Murthy