Book VI : Yuddha Kanda - Book Of War
Rama, Sugreeva, Hanuman and others assemble to take counsel together, upon reaching the precinets of Lanks. While they were delibrating on the ways and means for the success of their mission, Vibhishana informs that he has sent his counsellors as spies to gather information about the enemy's plans and that they returned after gathering the required news about Ravana's arrangements at the four gates of theity. After hearing Vibhishana's information, Rama orders Nila, Angada Hanuman and others to storm the four gates and decides to stay on Suvela mountain with his army.
nara v˜nara r˜jau tau sa ca v˜yu suta× kapi× |
j˜mbav˜n ®kÿa r˜jas× ca r˜kÿasas× ca vibhŸÿaõa× || 6-37-1
angado v˜li putras× ca saumitri× þarabha× kapi× |
suÿeõa× saha d˜y˜do maindo dvividaeva ca || 6-37-2
gajo gava akÿo kumudo nalo atha panasas tath˜ |
amitra viÿayam pr˜pt˜× samavet˜× samarthayan || 6-37-3
1, 2, 3. (Meanwhile); naravaanara raajanau= Rama, the king of men and Sugreeva the sovereign of monkeys; saH kapiH= that Hanuman; vaayusutaH= the son of the wind; jaambavaan= Jambavan; R^ikSaraajaH= the king of the bears; vibhiiSaNaH= Vibhishana; raakSasaH= the demon; aN^gadaH= Angada; vaaliputraH= the son of Vali; saumitriH= lakshmana; sharabhaH kapiH= the Ape Sharabha; suSeNaH= Sushena; saha daayadaH= along with his kin's folk; maindaH= Mainda; dvivida evacha= Dvivida; gajaH= Gaja; atha= and; gavaakSaH= Gavaksha; kumudaH= Kumuda; tathaa= and; nalaH= Nala; atha= and; panasaH= Panasa; praaptaaH= (all) having reached; anitraviSayam= the enemy's territory; samavetaaH= assembled; samarthayan= for deliberation.
Meanwhile, Rama the king of men and Sugreeva the Sovereign of monkeys, Hanuman the son of the wind, Jambavan the king of the Bears, Vibhishana the demon, Angada the son of Vali, Lakshmana, Sushena along with his kinsfolk, Mainda, Dvivida, Gaja, Gavaksha, Kumuda, Nala and Panasa, all having reached the enemy's territory, assembled to take counsel together.
iyam s˜ lakÿyate lank˜ purŸ r˜vaõa p˜lit˜ |
s˜sura uraga gandharvair amarair api durjay˜ || 6-37-4
4. lakshhate= observe; iyam= this; saa= that very; laN^kaapurii= City of Lanka; raavaNapaalitaa= ruled by Ravana; durjayaa= impregnable; amarairapi= even to celestials; saasuraH= and the demons together; uraga gandharvaiH= or the uragas (the serpant-demons) and Gandharvas (Celestials musicians)
"Observe this city of Lanka, ruled by Ravana, impregnable both to celestials and the demons together, or the uragas (the serpent-demons) and Gandharvas (celestial musicians)."
k˜rya siddhim puras krtya mantrayadhvam vinirõaye |
nityam samnihito hy atra r˜vaõo r˜kÿasa adhipa× || 6-37-5
5. raavaNaH= Ravana; raakSasaadhipaH= the Lord of Demons; nityam= always; samnihitaH hi= indeed stays; atra= there; mantrayadhvam= think; vinirNaye= of determining our duty; puraskR^itya= with regard to; kaarya siddhim= the success of our expedition.
"Ravana, the lord of demons always stays in the City. Think of the ways and means for the success of our expedition."
tath˜ teÿu bruv˜õeÿu r˜vaõa avarajo abravŸt |
v˜kyam agr˜mya padavat puÿkala artham vibhŸÿaõa× || 6-37-6
6. atha= then; (while); teSu= they; bruvaaNeSu= were talking thus; vibhiiSaNaH= Vibhishana; raavaNaavarajaH= the younger brother of Ravana; abraviit= spoke; (the following); puSkalaartham= meaningful; agraamyapadavat= and polished; vaakyam= words.
While they were talking thus, Vibhishana the younger brother of Ravana spoke the following meaningful and polished words:
anala× þarabhas× caiva samp˜ti× praghasas tath˜ |
gatv˜ lank˜m mama am˜ty˜× purŸm punar iha ˜gat˜× || 6-37-7
7. mama= My; amatyaaH= counsellors; (named) analaH= Anala; panasashchaiva= and Panasa; sampaatiH= Sampati; tathaa= and; pramatiH= Pramati; gataa= went; laN^kaampuriim= to the City of Lanka; punaH aagataaaH= and returned; iha= here.
"My counsellors named Anala, Panasa, Sampati and Pramati went to the City of Lanka and returned here."
bh¨tv˜ þakunaya× sarve praviÿ÷˜s× ca ripor balam |
vidh˜nam vihitam yac ca tad drÿ÷v˜ samupasthit˜× || 6-37-8
8. bhuutvaa= by transforming into; shakunayaH= birds; sarve= all of them; praviSTaaH= entered; rupoH= the enemy's balam= army; samupasthitaaH= (they) came; dR^iSTvaa= after observing; yat= which; tat= that; vidhaanam= arrangement; vihitam= was done.
"Assuming the form of birds, all the four entered that enemy's citadel and observed the measures taken by Ravana closely."
samvidh˜nam yath˜ ˜hus te r˜vaõasya dur˜tmana× |
r˜ma tad bruvata× sarvam yath˜tathyena me þ®õu || 6-37-9
9. raama= O, Rama! shruNu= hear; me= from me; bruvataH= telling; sarvam= all; yathaatathyena= the exact position; yathaa= as; te= they; aahuH= informed; samvidhaanam= about the arrangement; raavaNasya= of Ravana; duraatmanaH= the evil-minded.
"O, Rama! I give a detailed report as it was given to me of the defence-arrangements made by tha evil-minded Ravana, hear me."
p¨rvam prahasta× sabalo dv˜ram ˜s˜dya tiÿ÷hati |
dakÿiõam ca mah˜ vŸryau mah˜ p˜rþva mah˜ udarau || 6-37-10
10. prahastaH= Prahasta; prabalaH= of great strenght; tiSThati= is standing; aasaadya= accussed; puurvam dvaaram= to the eastern gate; mahaa paarshva mahodarau= Mahaparshva and Mahodara; mahaaviiryau= of mighty prowess; ( are at); dakSiNamcha= the southern gate.
"The very strong Prashata is standing near the eastern gate. Mahaparshva and Mahodara of mighty prowess are at the southern gate."
indrajit paþcima dv˜ram r˜kÿasair bahubhir v®ta× |
pa÷÷asa asi dhanuÿmadbhi× þ¨la mudgara p˜õibhi× || 6-37-11
n˜n˜ praharaõai× þ¨rair ˜v®to r˜vaõa ˜tmaja× |
11. indrajit= Indrajit; raavaNaatmajaH= the son of Ravana; vR^itaH= along with; bahubhiH= many; raakSasaiH= demons; pattishaasidhanuSmadbhiH= harpoon, swords, bows; shuula mudgaraH= spears and hammers; aavR^itaH= and along with; bhuuraiH= warriors; naanaapraharaNaiH= furnished with weapons of many kinds; pashchimam dvaaram= is at the western gate.
"Indragit, the son of Ravana is at the western gate along with many demons armed with harpoons, swords, bows, spears and hammers together with warriors furnished with weapons of various kinds."
r˜kÿas˜n˜m sahasrais tu bahubhi× þastra p˜õibhi× || 6-37-12
yukta× parama samvigno r˜kÿasair bahubhir vrta× |
uttaram nagara dv˜ram r˜vaõa× svayam ˜sthita× || 6-37-13
12, 13. paramasamvigraH= a prey to great anxiety; raavaNaH= Ravana; mantravit= knower of magical formulas; svayam= is himself; aasthitaH= stationed; uttaram nagaradvaaram= at the northern gate; yuktaH= along with; raakSasaiH= thousands; shatra paaNibhiH= holding lances in their hand.
"A prey to great anxiety, Ravana knower of magical formulas, is himself stationed at the northern gate, along with several thousands of demons holding lances in their hand."
vir¨pa akÿas tu mahat˜ þ¨la khaýga dhanuÿmat˜ |
balena r˜kÿasai× s˜rdham madhyamam gulmam ˜sthita× || 6-37-14
14. viruupakSastu= as for virupaksha; mahataa balena= with a nighty army; shuula khedga dhanuSmataa= armed with spears, clubs and bows; raakSasaiH saardham= along with demons; aashritaH= occupies; madhyamam gulamam= the center of the fort.
"As for Virupaksha he with mighty army carrying spears, clubs and bows along with other demons, occupies the center of the fort."
et˜n evam vidh˜n gulm˜ml lank˜y˜m samudŸkÿya te |
m˜mak˜× saciv˜× sarve þŸghram punar iha ˜gat˜× || 6-37-15
15. sarve= all; te mantriNaH= those counsellors; maamakaraH= of mine; samudiikSya= observed; etaan= these; gulmaan= arranged in this manner; laN^kaayaam= in Lanka; punaH aagataaH= and returned; iha= here; shiighram= quickly.
"All these counsellors of mine watched those groups of troops arranged in Lanka in this manner and immediately returned here."
gaj˜n˜m ca sahasram ca rath˜n˜m ayutam pure |
hay˜n˜m ayute dve ca s˜gra ko÷Ÿ ca rakÿas˜m || 6-37-16
vikr˜nt˜ balavantas× ca samyugeÿv ˜tat˜yina× |
iÿ÷˜ r˜kÿasa r˜jasya nityam ete niþ˜ car˜× || 6-37-17
16, 17. dashasaahasaram= ten thousand; gajaanaam= elephants; tathaa= and; ayutam= ten thousand; ruthaanaam= chariots; dve ayutam= twenty thousand; hayaanaam= cavalry; saagraa= a little more than; koTishcha= crore; rakSasaam= foot soldiers; balavantashcha= who are strong; vikraantaaH= intrepid; aatataayinaH= in battle; nityam= have even been; raakSasa raajasya= of their sovereign's; iSTaaH= favourites.
"The elephants and chariots number some ten thousand each, the cavalry twenty thousand and there are more than a crore foot soldiers. These strong and intrepid demons endeavouring to kill someone in battle have ever been their sovereign's favourites."
eka ekasya atra yuddha arthe r˜kÿasasya viþ˜m pate |
pariv˜ra× sahasr˜õ˜m sahasram upatiÿ÷hate || 6-37-18
18. vishaampate= O, king! atra= in these demons; ekasya= for each; raakSasya= demon; parivaaraH= a retime; sahasraaNaam sahasram= of ten lacs; upatiSThate= is near at land.
"O, Rama! In these demons, a retinue of ten lacs each is near at hand for each demon."
et˜m prav®ttim lank˜y˜m mantri proktam vibhŸÿaõa× |
r˜mam kamala patra akÿam idam uttaram abravŸt || 6-37-19
19. mahaabaahuH= the mighty-armed; vibhiiSaNaH= Vibhishana; aadarshayat= showed; taan= those; raakSasaan= demons (his counsellors); uktvaa= after speaking; itaam= this; pravR^ittim= news; laN^kaayaam= in Lanka; evam= thus; mantriproktaam= spoken by his counsellors.
The mighty armed Vibhishana showed those counsellors to Rama after reporting the aforesaid news pertaining to Lanka, thus informed by his counsellors.
laðk˜y˜m sacivai× r˜m˜ya pratyavedayat |
r˜maÕ kamalapatr˜kÿamidamuttaramabravŸt || 6-37-20
r˜vaõ˜varaja× þrŸm˜n r˜mapriyacikŸrÿay˜ |
20. sachivaiH= the counsellors; pratyavedayat= confirmed; sarvam= all that was known; laN^kaayaam= regarding Lanks; (thereafter); shromaan= the illustrious; raavaNaavarajaH= Vibhishana raama priya chikiirSayaa= in his desire to please Rama; abraviit= addressed; kamalapatraakSam= that lotus-eyed; raamam= Rama; uttaram= further; idam= with these words.
The counsellors of Vibhishana themselves confirmed all that was known regarding Lanka. Thereafter, the illustrious Vibhishana, in his desire to please Rama, addressed that lotus-eyed one, further with the following words:
kuberam tu yad˜ r˜ma r˜vaõa× pratyayudhyata || 6-37-21
ÿaÿ÷i× þata sahasr˜õi tad˜ niry˜nti r˜kÿas˜× |
par˜krameõa vŸryeõa tejas˜ sattva gaurav˜t || 6-37-22
sad®þ˜ yo atra darpeõa r˜vaõasya dur˜tmana× |
21, 22. raama= O, Rama!; yadaa= when; raavaNaH= Ravana; kuberam pratyayudhyata= attacked Kubera in battle; SaSTiH= sixty shatasahasraaaNi= lacs of raakSasaam= demons; niryaanti= sallied forth; tadaa= then(with him); sadR^ishaa= (all of them) were similar; raavaNasya= to Ravana; duraatmanaH= the evil minded; paraakramaNa= in prowess; viiryeNa= in strength; tejasaa= in splendour; stattvagouravaat= because of angmented courage; darpNa= and a pride; atra= there.
"O, Rama! When Ravana attacked Kubera in battle, sixty lacs of demons sallied forth with him. All of them were akin to the evil-minded Ravana in prowess, in strength, in courage and in pride."
atra manyur na kartavyo roÿaye tv˜m na bhŸÿaye || 6-37-23
samartho hy asi vŸryeõa sur˜õ˜m api nigrahe |
23. manyuH= Indignation; na kartavyaH= is not required; atra= in this matter; tvaam roSaye= I am making you irritated; na bhiiSaye= and not terrifying; asihi= you are indeed; samarthaH= capable; nigrahe.api= of even overpowering; suraaNaam= the celestials; viiryeNa= by your valour.
"Indignation need not be resorted to (by you) based on this report. I am not terrifying you, bt only arousing your wrath. You are indeed capable of overpowering even celestials by your valour."
tad bhav˜ms× catur angeõa balena mahat˜ v®ta× || 6-37-24
vy¨hya idam v˜nara anŸkam nirmathiÿyasi r˜vaõam |
24. tat= for this reason; vyuuhya vaanaraaniikam= having set out these monkey forces in battle-array; bhavam= you; nirmathiSyati= shall destroy; raavaNam= Ravana; idam= (with) this; vaanaraaniikam= army of monkeys; charaNgeNa balena= composed of four division; vR^itam= which surround you.
"Having set out these monkey-forces in battle-array, you shall destryoy Ravana with this great army of monkeys, composed of four divisions, which surround you."
r˜vaõa avaraje v˜kyam evam bruvati r˜ghava× || 6-37-25
þatr¨õ˜m pratigh˜ta artham idam vacanam abravŸt |
25. raavaNaavaraje= Vibhishana; bruvatisati= having spoken; vaakyam= words; evam= thus; raaghavaH= Rama; abraviit= gave; idam= the following; vachanam= orders; pratighaataartham= for the attack; shatruuNaam= of the adversaries.
Vibhishana having spoken thus Rama gave the following orders for the attack of the adversaries.
p¨rva dv˜re tu lank˜y˜ nŸlo v˜nara pumgava× || 6-37-26
prahastam pratiyoddh˜ sy˜d v˜narair bahubhir v®ta× |
26. puurva dvaare= at the eastern gate; laN^kaayaaH= of Lanka; niilaH= Nila; vaanarapuNgavaH= that lion among monkeys; syaat= for his part; vR^itaH= surrounded; bahubhiH= by many; vaanaraiH= monkeys; prahasta pratiyoddhaa= should attack Prahasta.
"At the eastern gate of Lanka, Nila that lion among monkeys for his part, surrounded by many monkeys, should attack Prahasta."
angado v˜li putras tu balena mahat˜ v®ta× || 6-37-27
dakÿiõe b˜dhat˜m dv˜re mah˜ p˜rþva mah˜ udarau |
27. dakSiNa dvaare= At the southern gate; aNgadaH= Angada; vaaliputraH= the son of Vali, vR^itaH= surrounded; mahataa= by his mighty; balena= army; baadhataam= should oppose; mahaapaarshva mahodarau= Mahaparshva and Mahodara.
"At the southern gate, Angada the son of Vali, surrounded by his mighty army, should oppose Mahaparshva and Mahodara."
han¨m˜n paþcima dv˜ram nipŸýya pavana ˜tmaja× || 6-37-28
praviþatv aprameya ˜tm˜ bahubhi× kapibhir v®ta× |
28. (Let); hanumaan= Hanuman; pavanaatmajaH= the son of wind; aprameyaatmaa= (and) of inscrutable spirit; vR^itaH= surrounded; bahubhiH= by a multitude; kapibhiH= of monkeys; niSpiiDya= having crashed; pashchima dvaare= into the western gate; praveshitu= enter (the City)
"Let Hanuman that son of the Wind and of inscrutable spirit, surrounded by a multitude of monkeys, enter the City through the western gate."
daitya d˜nava samgh˜n˜m ®ÿŸõ˜m ca mah˜tman˜m || 6-37-29
viprak˜ra priya× kÿudro vara d˜na bala anvita× |
parikr˜mati ya× sarv˜ml lok˜n samt˜payan praj˜× || 6-37-30
tasya aham r˜kÿasa indrasya svayam eva vadhe dh®ta× |
uttaram nagara dv˜ram aham saumitriõ˜ saha || 6-37-31
nipŸýya abhipravekÿy˜mi sabalo yatra r˜vaõa× |
29, 30 , 31. aham= I; svayameva= am myself; dhR^itaH= determined; vadhe= to slay; tasya= that; kSudraH= mean fellow; raakSasendrasya= Ravana; yaH= who; varadaan abalaanivitaH= owing to the boon he has received; viprakaara priyaH= enjoys oppressing; daitya daanavasanghaanaam= multitudes of Daityas (giants) and daanavas (demons); mahaat manaam= as also the magnanimous; R^iSiiNaam cha= sages; parikraamati= and who ranges; lokaan= the worlds; samtaapayan= persecnting; sarvaan= all; prajaaH= being; saumitreNa saha= with the aid of Lakshaman; aham= I; nipiiDya= shall forcibly; abhipravekSyaami= enter; uttaram nagara dvaaram= the northern gate; yatra; raavaNaH= where Ravana is there; sabalaH= along with the army.
I am myself determined to slay that wicked who owing to the boon he has received, enjoys oppressing multitudes of Daityas (gaints) and Daanavas (demons), as also the magnanimous sages and who ranges the world, persenting all being. With the aid of Lakshmana, I shall forcibly enter the northern gate where Ravana is stationed along with his army."
v˜nara indras× ca balav˜n ®kÿa r˜jas× ca j˜mbav˜n || 6-37-32
r˜kÿasa indra anujas× caiva gulme bhavatu madhyame |
32. balavaan= the mighty; vaanarendrashcha= Sugreeva the king of monkeys; viiryavaan= the valiant; R^ikSaraajashcha= jambavanshchaiva= and vibhishana, the younger brother of the Lord of demons; bhavatu= be; gulme= of the army.
"Let the mighty Sugreeva the king of monkeys, the valiant Jambavan the king of bears and Vibhishana, the younger brother of the Lord of demons occupy the central position of the army."
na ca eva m˜nuÿam r¨pam k˜ryam haribhir ˜have || 6-37-33
eÿ˜ bhavatu na× samjn˜ yuddhe asmin v˜nare bale |
33. maanuSam= Human; ruupam= form; na chaiva kaaryam= should not be assumed; haribhiH= by the monkeys; aahave= in battle; bale= in the army; vaanare= of monkeys; eSaa= this monkey-shape; bhavatu= should be; samjJNaa= a sign of recognition; naH= among us; asmin= in this; yuddhe= battle.
"Monkeys should not assume human form in the battle, for, in the army of monkeys, this monkey-shape should serve as a sign of recognition among us."
v˜nar˜eva niþcihnam sva jane asmin bhaviÿyati || 6-37-34
vayam tu m˜nuÿeõa eva sapta yotsy˜mahe par˜n |
aham eva saha bhr˜tr˜ lakÿmaõena mah˜ ojas˜ || 6-37-35
˜tman˜ pancamas× ca ayam sakh˜ mama vibhŸÿaõa× |
34, 35. asmin svajane= in our own people among us; vaanaraaH eva= the form of monkeys itself; bhaviSyati= will become; chihnam= a sign of recognition; naH= for us; sapta= seven; vayam= fo us; yotsyaamahe= will attack; paraan= the foe; maanuSeNaiva= in human form, eSaH= this; aham= I; (along with); bhraatraa= my brother; lakSmaNena= Lakshmana; mohaujasaa= who is full of valour; mama sakhaa= my friend, ayam= this; vibhiiSaNaH= Vibhishana; paN^chamaH= the fifhth; aatmanaa= with him (along with his four companions).
"Among our own people also, the form of monkeys will become a sign of recognition for us. Seven of us will attack the foe in our human form, I, my brother Lakshmana, who is full of valour, my friend Vibhishana and his four companions."
sa r˜ma× k˜rya siddhy artham evam uktv˜ vibhŸÿaõam || 6-37-36
suvela ˜rohaõe buddhim cak˜ra matim˜n matim |
ramaõŸyataram d®ÿ÷v˜ suvelasya giresta÷m || 6-37-37
36, 37. uktvaa= having said; evam= thus; vibhiiSaNam= to Vibhishana; kR^itya siddhyartham= for the success of the enterprise; saH raamaH= that Rama; matimaan prabhuH= in the role of a wise leader; chakaara= made up; buddhim= his mind; suvelaarohaNe= to ascend Mount Suvela; ramaNiiyataram= the more charming; taTam= slope; suvelasya gireH= of the Mount Suvela; dR^iSTvaa= (he) had observed.
Having said thus to Vibhishana for the success of the enterprise, Rama in the role of a wise leader, decided to stay on Mount Suvela, after observing its charming slopes.
tatas tu r˜mo mahat˜ balena |
pracc˜dya sarv˜m p®thivŸm mah˜tm˜ |
prah®ÿ÷a r¨po abhijag˜ma lank˜m |
k®tv˜ matim so ari vadhe mah˜tm˜ || 6-37-38
38. tataH= Thereafter; prachchhaadi= having covered; sarvaam pR^ithiviim= the entire field; mahataa balena= with his great army; kR^itvaa= having made up; matim= his mind; arivadhe= to slain the enemies; mahaatmaa= that high-souled; raamaH= Rama; mahaatmaa= of great courage; abhijagaama= set out; laN^kaam= for Lanka; prahR^iSTa ruupaH= with a joyous and exultant air.
Thereafter, having covered the entire filed with his great army and having made up his mind to destroy the enemies, that high-souled Rama of great courage, set out for Lanka with a joyous and exultant air.
ity˜rÿe þrŸmadr˜m˜yaõe ˜dik˜vye yuddha k˜nde saptatriÕþa× sarga×
Thus completes 37th Chapter of Yuddha Kanda of the glorious Ramayana of Valmiki, the work of a sage and the oldest epic.
© November 2004, K. M. K. Murthy