Ravana enters the battle-field and with his mystic missile, frightens several monkeys and destroys them. Rama and Lakshmana come and attack Ravana. Then, Rama and Ravana fight each other with various kinds of arrows. When the missile employed by Ravana is struck down by Rama, all the monkeys shout loudly with a rejoice.
महोदरमहापार्श्वौ हतौ दृष्ट्वा तु राक्षसौ |
तस्मिंश्च निहते वीरे विरूपाक्षे महाबले || ६-९९-१
आविवेश महान्क्रोधो रावणन् तु महामृधे |
सूतन् सञ्चोदयामास वाक्यन् चेदमुवाच ह || ६-९९-२
1; 2. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; mahodara mahaapaarshvau = Mahodara and Mahaparshva; raakShasau = the demons; hatau = having been killed; tasmin viire = and that valiant; mahaabale = as also the mighty; viruupaaShe = Virupaksha; nihate = killed; mahaamR^idhe = in that great battle; mahaan krodhaH = a tremendous anger; aavivesha = took possession; raavaNam = of Ravana; aavivesha = took possession; raavaNam = of Ravana; samchodayaamaasa = (He) urged; suutam = on his charioteer; uvaacha ha = and addressed; idam vaakyam = the following words:
Seeing Mahodara and Mahaparshva the demons having been killed, and that valiant and mighty Virupaksha struck down in that great battle, a tremendous anger took possession of Ravana. He urged on his charioteer and addressed to him the following words:
निहतानाममात्यानान् रुद्धस्य नगरस्य च |
दुःखमेषोअपनेष्यामि हत्वा तौ रामलक्ष्मणौ || ६-९९-३
3. apaneShyaamyeva surely; I will remove; duHkham = the sorrow; (caused to me); nihataanaam amaatyaanaam = on account of the ministers who have been killed; ruddhasya nagarasyacha = and the city which has been laid seize to (by the monkeys); hatvaa = killing; tau = those two princes; raama lakShmanau = Rama and Lakshmana.
"Killing those two princes, Rama and Lakshmana, I will remove surely the sorrow caused to me on account of the ministers who have been killed and the city which has been laid siege to (by the monkeys)."
रामवृक्षन् रणे हन्मि सीतापुष्पफलप्रदम् |
प्रशाखा यस्य सुग्रीवो जाम्बवान्कुमुदो नलः || ६-९९-४
स दिशो दश घोषेण रथस्यातिरथो महान् |
नादयन्प्रययौ तूर्णन् राघवन् चाभ्यवर्तत || ६-९९-५
4; 5. raNe = in the battle; hanmi = I will cut down; raama vR^ikSham = the tree in the shape of Rama; siitaapuShpaphalapradam = which is going to yield fruit through its flower in the form of Seetha; yasya prashaakhaaH = whose principal branches are; sugriivaH = Sugreeva; jaambavaan = Jambavan; kumudaH = Kumuda; nalaH = Nala; dvividai shchaiva = Dvivida; maindashcha = Mainda; aN^gadaH = Angada; gandhamaaanaH = Gandhamadana; hanumaamshcha = Hanuma; suSheNashcha = Sushena; sarve hariyuuthapaashcha = and all the chiefs of monkey-warriors.
"In the battle, I will cut down the tree in the shape of Rama, which is going to yield fruit through its flower in the form of Seetha, whose principal branches are Sugreeva, Jambavan, Kumuda, Nala, Dvivida, Mainda, Angada, Gandhamadana, Hanuma, Sushena and all the chiefs of monkey-warriors."
पूरिता तेन शब्देन सनदीगिरिकानना |
सञ्चचाल मही सर्वा सवराहमृगद्विपा || ६-९९-६
6. saH = Ravana; mahaan atirathaH = the mighty and the surpassing chariot-warrior; prayayau = wnet; tuurNam = quickly; naadayan = making a noise; dasha dishaH = in all the ten drections; ghoSheNa = raaghavam abhyadhaavata = rushing towards Rama.
Ravana, the mighty and the surpassing Chariot-Warrior, went quickly, making a noise in all the ten directions, with the sound of the chariot, rushing towards Rama.
तामसन् सुमहाघोरन् चकारास्त्रं सुदारुणम् |
निर्ददाह कपीन्सर्वान्स्ते प्रपेतुः समन्ततः || ६-९९-७
7. puuritaa = filled; tena shabdena = with that sound; sarvaa mahii = the entire earth; sanadiigirikaananaa = with its rivers; mountains and forests; trasta simhamR^igadvijaa = having frightened lions; antelopes and birds; samchachaala = was trembled.
Filled with that sound, the entire earth, with its rivers, mountains and forests, trembled, throwing lions, antelopes and birds, into fright.
तान्यनीकान्यनेकानि रावणस्य शरोत्तमैः |
दृष्ट्वा भग्नानि शतशो राघवः पर्यवस्थितः || ६-९९-८
8. chakaara = he employed; sumahaaghoram = very highly terrific; sudaaruNam = and exceedingly frightful; astram = mystic missile; taamasam = called Tamasa; nirdadaaha = which began to consume; sarvaan kapiin = all the monkeys; te = they; prapetuH = fell down; samantataH = on all sides.
He employed very highly terrific and exceedingly frightful mystic missile called Tamasa, which began to consume all the monkeys, who started falling down on all sides.
उत्पपात रजो भूमौ तैर्भग्नै संप्रधावितैः |
न हि तत्सहितुं शेकुर्ब्रह्मणा निर्मितं स्वयम् || ६-९९-९
9. raja = dust; utpapaata = began to fly up; bhuumau = from the earth; taiH bhagnaiH = while those frustrated monkeys; sampradhaavitaiH = were fleeing away; na shekuH hi = as they could no longer indeed; sahitum = bear; tat = that missile; nirmitam = built; brahmaNaa = by Brahma; svayam = himself.
Dust began to fly up from the earth, while those frustrated monkeys were fleeing away for they could no longer bear that missile built by Brahma himself.
तान्यनीकान्यनेकानि रावणस्य शरोत्तमैः |
दृषःट्वा भग्नानि शतशो राघवः पर्यवस्थितः || ६-९९-१०
10. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; taani = those; shatashaH = hundreds; anekaani = of many; aniikaani = armies; bhagnaani = shattered; sharottamaiH = by excellent arrows; raavaNasya = of Ravana; raaghavah = Rama; paryavasthitaH = stood ready for the battle.
Seeing those hundreds of many of his armies shattered by excellent arrows of Ravana, Rama took his stand, ready for the battle.
ततो राक्षसशार्दूलो विद्राव्य हरिवाहिनीम् |
स ददर्श ततो रामन् तिष्ठन्तमपराजितम् || ६-९९-११
लक्ष्मणेन सह भ्रात्रा विष्णुना वासवन् यथा |
आलिखन्तमिवाकाशमवष्टभ्य महद्धनुः || ६-९९-१२
पद्मपत्रविशालाक्षन् दीर्घबाहुमरिन्दमम् |
11; 12. tataH = then; saH = Ravana; raakShasa shaarduulaH = the foremost among the demons; vidraavya = having driven away; harivaahiniim = the army of monkeys; tataH = thereupon; dadarsha = saw; raamam = Rama; lakShmaNena saha = along with Lakshmana; bhraatraa = his brother; vaasavam yathaa = as Indra the lord of celestials; viShNunaa = (is seen) with Vishnu; the supreme lord unconquerable; padmapatravishaalaakSham = having wide eyes like lotus-petals; diirghabaahum = long arms; (Rama); arimdamam = the annihilator of enemies; tiShThantam = stood; avaShTabhya = holding up his great bow; aalikhantam iva = as though scraping; aakaasham = the sky.
Having driven away the army of monkeys, Ravana the foremost among the demons then saw Rama, the annihilator of his enemies, who was endowed with long arms and eyes as wide as lotus petals standing unconquered with his brother Lakshmana-like Indra the lord of celestials is seen with Vishnu, the supreme lord of preservation-holding up his great bow as though scraping the sky.
ततो रामो महातेजाः सौमित्रिसहितो बली || ६-९९-१३
वानरांश्च रणे भग्नानापतन्तन् च रावणम् |
समीक्ष्य राघवो हृष्टो मध्ये जग्राह कार्मुकम् || ६-९९-१४
13; 14. tataH = then; balii = the mighty; raamaH = Rama; mahaatejaaH = of great splendour; raaghavaH = who was born in Raghu dynasty; saumitra sahitaH = along with Lakshmana; samiikShya = seeing; bhagnaan = the disappointed; vaanaraan cha = monkeys; raavaNam = and Ravana; aapatantam = whow as advancing quickly towards him; hR^iShTaH = was pleased; jagraaha = and seized; kaarmukam = his bow; madhye = at the middle.
Seeing the disappointed monkeys and Ravana advancing, the mighty Rama who was endowed with a great splendour and accompanied by Lakshmana who were born in Raghu dynasty, then pleasingly seized his bow at the middle.
विस्फारयितुमारेभे ततः स धनुरुत्तमम् |
महावेगं महानादं निर्भिन्दन्निव मेदिनीम् || ६-९९-१५
15. tataH = thereupon; saH = Rama; aarebhe = began; visphaarayitum = t stretch; uttamam dhanuH = his excellent bow; mahaavegam = which was endowed with a great force; mahaa naadam = and sonorous; nirbhinnanniva = as though breaking asunder; mediniim = the earth.
Thereupon, Rama began to stretch his excellent bow, which was endowed with great force and sonorous, as though he was breaking the earth asunder.
रावणस्य च बाणौघै रामविस्फारितेन च |
शब्देन राक्षसास्तेन पेतुश्च शतशस्तदा || ६-९९-१६
16. tadaa = then; tena shabdena = due to that sound; raavaNasya baaNaughaiH = produced by the streams of arrows of Ravana; raama visphaaritena = and due to the stretching activity of Rama's bow; te raakShasaaH = those demons; petuH cha = fell down; shatashaH = in their hundreds.
Then, due to that buzzing sound produced by the streams of Ravana's arrows as also by the twang of Rama's bow, those demons fell down in their hundreds.
तयोः शरपथं प्राप्य रावणो राजपुत्रयोः |
स बभूव यथा राहुः समीपे शशिसूर्ययोः || ६-९९-१७
17. saH raavaNaH = that Ravana; praapya = coming within; raajaputrayoH sharapatham = the range of the arrow-shots of Rama and Lakshmana; babhau = shone; raahuH yathaa = like Rahu (the demon who is supposed to seize the sun and the moon) samiipe = standing in the vicinity; shashisuuryayau = of the moona and the sun.
That Ravana, coming within the range of arrow-shots of Rama and Lakshmana, resembled Rahu (the demon who is supposed to seize the sun and the moon), standing in the vicinity of the moon and the sun.
तमिच्छन्प्रथमन् योद्धुं लक्ष्मणो निशितैः शरैः |
मुमोच धनुरायम्य शरानग्निशिखोपमान् || ६-९९-१८
18. ichchhan = wishing; yoddhum = to fight; tam = him; nishitaiH sharaiH = with his sharp arrows; prathamam = at the earliest; lakShmaNaH = Lakshmana; aayamya = stretching; dhanuH = his bow; mumocha = released; sharaan = his arrows; agnishikhopamaan = which were like flames of fire.
Wishing to fight him with his sharp arrows at the earliest, Lakshmana stretching his bow, released his arrows which were like flames of fire.
तान्मुक्तमात्रानाकाशे लक्ष्मणेन धनुष्मता |
बाणान्बाणैर्महातेजा रावणः प्रत्यवारयत् || ६-९९-१९
19. raavaNaH = Ravana; mahaatejaaH = of extraordinary energy; pratyavaarayan = prevented; taan = those; baaNaan = arrows; muktamaatraan = the moment they were released; lakShmaNena = by Lakshmana; baaNaiH = with his arrows; aakaashe = in the sky itself.
Ravana of extra ordinary energy prevented those arrows, the moment they were released by Lakshmana, with his arrows, in the sky itself.
एकमेकेन बाणेन त्रिभिस्त्रीन्दशभिर्दश |
लक्ष्मणस्य प्रचिच्छेद दर्शयन्पाणिलाघवम् || ६-९९-२०
20. darshayan = showing; paaNilaaghavam = the dexterity of his hand; (Ravana) prachichchheda = split; baaNena = the arrows; lakShmaNasya = of Lakshmana; ekam ekena = one with one; tribhiH triin = three with three; dashabhiH dasha = and ten with ten arrows.
Showing the dexterity of his hand, Ravana split the arrows of Lakshmana one with one, three with three and ten with ten arrows.
अभ्यतिक्रम्य सौमित्रिन् रावणः समितिञ्जयः |
आससाद ततो रामन् स्थितं शैलमिवाचलम् || ६-९९-२१
21. abhyati kramya = Over-passing; saumitrim = Lakshmana; raavaNaH = Ravana; samitimjayaH = the victorious in battle; aasasaada = approached; raamam = Rama; sthitam = who stood; raNe = in the battle-field; aparam shailam iva = like another mountain.
Overpassing Lakshmana, Ravana the victorious in battle, approached Rama, who stood like another mountain, in the battle-field.
स सङ्ख्ये राममासाद्य क्रोधसन्रक्तलोचनः |
व्यसृजच्छरवर्णानि रावणो राघवोपरि || ६-९९-२२
22. saH raavaNaH = that Ravana; raakShaseshvaraH = the lord of demons; krodha samrakta lochanaH = having red-blood eyes in samaasaadya = approaching; raaghavam = Rama; vyasR^ijat = released; sharavarShaaNi = streams of arrows.
Having approached Rama, Ravana the lord of demons, having his eyes turning red-blood through anger, released streams of arrows upon him.
शरधारास्ततो रामो रावणस्य धनुश्च्युताः |
दृष्ट्वैवापतिताः शीघ्रं भल्लाञ्जग्राह सत्वरम् || ६-९९-२३
23. dR^iShTvaiva = just on seeing; shara dhaaraaH = streams of arrows; aapatitaaH = coming forth; dhanushchyutaaH = loosed from the bow; raavaNasya = of Ravana; raamaH = Rama; tataH = thereupon; shiighram = quickly; jagraaha = seized hold; bhallaan = of 'Bhalla* arrows; satvaram = in haste.
Just on seeing streams of arrows coming forth, loosed from Ravana's bow, Rama thereupon quickly seized hold of 'Bhalla'* arrows in haste.
Bhalla - A variety of arrows with a crescent - shaped head.
ताञ्शरौघान्स्ततो भल्लैस्तीक्ष्णैश्चिच्छेद राघवः |
दीप्यमानान्महावेगान्क्रुद्धानाशीविषानिव || ६-९९-२४
24. tataH = then; raaghavaH = Rama; chichheda = tore off; taan sharoughaan = that multitude of arrows; diipyamaanam = which were blazing; mahaaghoraan = and looking very terrific; kruddhaan aashiiviShaaviva = like enraged serpents; tiikShNaiH bhallaiH = with his sharp "Bhalla' arrows.
Then, Rama tore off that multitude of arrows, which were blazing and looking very terrific like enraged serpents, with his sharp Bhalla - arrows.
राघवो रावणन् तूर्णन् रावणो राघवं तथा |
अन्योन्यन् विविधैस्तीक्ष्णैः शरैरभिववर्षतुः || ६-९९-२५
25. raaraaghavo raavaNam = Rama on Ravana; raavaNam raaghavam tathaa = and Ravana on Rama; tuurNam = quickly; vavarShatuH = showered; anyonyam = each other; tiikShNaiH shara varShaiH = with streams of sharp-pointed arrows; vividhaiH = of various kinds.
Rama on Ravana and Ravana on Rama, quickly showered each other with streams of sharp-pointed arrows of various kinds.
चेरतुश्च चिरन् चित्रं मण्डलन् सव्यदक्षिणम् |
बाणवेगान्समुदीक्ष्य समरेष्वपराजितौ || ६-९९-२६
26. samutkShiptau = pushing back; anyonyam = each other; baaNavegaat = with the velocity of their arrows; aparaajitau = and remaining undefeated (the two warriors); chakratuH = described; maN^Dalam = circles; chitram = of different kinds; chiram = for a long time; savya dakShiNam = from left to right.
Pushing back each other with the velocity of their arrows and remaining undefeated, the two warriors described circles of different kinds each moving from left to right, for a long time.
तयोर्भूतानि वित्रेषुर्युगपत्सम्प्रयुध्यतोः |
रौद्रयोः सायकमुचोर्यमान्तकनिकाशयोः || ६-९९-२७
27. bhuutaani = created beings; vitresuH = were frightened; tayoH = even as both the warriors; raudrayoH = who looked terrific; saaakamuehoH = who were releasing arrows; yamaantaka nikaashayoH = and who resembled the god of retribution and the god of death respectively; yugapat = all at once; samprayudhyatoH = were fighting.
Created beings were frightened, even as both the terrific warriors were fighting all at once, releasing their arrows at each other, thus resembling the god of retribution and the god of Death respectively.
सन्ततन् विविधैर्बाणैर्बभूव गगनन् तदा |
घनैरिवातपापाये विद्युन्मालासमाकुलैः || ६-९९-२८
28. gaganam = the sky; tadaa = then; babhuuva = became; satatam = dense; baaNaiH = with arrows; vividhaiH = of various kinds; iva = (even as it is covered); aatapaapaaye = at the end of the monsoon; ghanaiH = with clouds; vidyunmaalaa samaakulaiH = crowded with crowns of lightning.
The sky at that time became dense with arrows of various kinds, even as it is covered, at the end of the monsoon, with clouds crowded with crowns of lightning.
गवाक्षितमिवाकाशं बभूव शूरवृष्टिभिः |
महावेगैः सुतीक्ष्णाग्रैर्गृध्रपत्रैः सुवाजितैः || ६-९९-२९
29. aakaasham = the sky; babhuuva gavaakShitamiva = was studded as with eye-holes; sharavR^iShTibhiH = by showers of arrows; suvaajitaiH = of high velocity; sutiikShNaagraiH = which were extremely sharp pointed; gR^idhra patraiH = and adorned with plumes of vultures; mahaavegaiH = (and were loosed) with high speed.
The sky was studded as with eye-holes, by showers of arrows of high velocity, which were extremely sharp-pointed and adorned with plumes of vultures and were loosed with high speed.
शरान्धकारन् तौ भीमं चक्रतुः परमं तदा |
गतेअस्तन् तपने चापि महामेघाविवोत्थितौ || ६-९९-३०
30. tadaa = then; chakratuH = they made; prathamam = initially; aakaasham = the sky; sharaandhakaaram = even after the sun-set; (they made it dark) utthitau mahaameghaaviva = like two huge clouds risen.
They initially made the sky dark with arrows. Even after the sun-set, they made it dark, like two huge clouds risen in it.
अनासाद्यमचिन्त्यन् च वृत्रवासवयोरिव || ६-९९-३१
31. mahat = a great; yuddham = combat; abhuut = ensued; tayoH = between both of them; anyonya vadha kaaN^kShiNoH = who were willing to kill each other; achintyamcha = (that battle) was unimaginable; anaasaasaadyam = and unapproachable; vR^itravaasavayoriva = like the duel that took place between Vritra the demon and Indra the lord of celestials.
A great combat ensued between both of them, who were willing to kill each other. That battle was unimaginable and unapproachable, like the duel that took place between Vritra the demon and Indra the lord of celestials.
उभौ हि परमेष्वासावुभौ शस्त्रविशारदौ |
उभौ चास्त्रविदां मुख्यावुभौ युद्धे विचेरतुः || ६-९९-३२
32. ubhau = both the warriors; parameShvaasau = were excellent archers; ubhau = both; yuddha vishaaradau = were skilled in war-fare; ubhau = both; mukhyau = wee eminently; astravidaam = skilled in the use of missiles; ubhau = both; vicheratuH = moved unhindered; yuddhe = in the battle-field.
Both the warriors were excellent archers. Both were skilled in war-fare. Both were eminently skilled in the use of missiles. Both moved unhindered in the battle-field.
उभौ हि येन व्रजतस्तेन तेन शरोर्मयः |
ऊर्मयो वायुना विद्धा जग्मुः सागरयोरिव || ६-९९-३३
33. yena = in whichever course; ubhau vrajatuH = both of them went; tena tena = in that respective direction; sharormayaH = waves of arrows; jagmuH = went; uurmayaH = like waves; saagarayoH = in two oceans; vaayuviddhaaH = whipped by the wind.
In whichever course both of them went, in the same respective direction, streams of arrows went, like waves in two oceans, whipped by the wind.
ततः सन्सक्तहस्तस्तु रावणो लोकरावणः |
नाराचमालान् रामस्य ललाटे प्रत्यमुञ्चत || ६-९९-३४
34. tataH = then; raavaNaH = Ravana; samsakta hataH = having skilful hands; loka raavaNaH = and a cause for the cry of the world; pratyamuNchata = released; naaraacha maalaam = a row of steel arrows; lalaaTe = on the forehead; ramasya = of Rama.
Ravana, having skilful hands and a cause for the cry of the world, released a row of steel arrows on Rama's forehead.
रौद्रचापप्रयुक्तान् तां नीलोत्पलदलप्रभाम् |
शिरसा धारयन्रामो न व्यथां प्रत्यपद्यत || ६-९९-३५
35. raamaH = Rama; adhaarayat = bore; shirasaa = on his head; taam = that row of steel arrows; raudrachaapa prayuktaam = discharged from the terrific bow; niilotpaladala prabhaam = and having a lustre of black lotus-petals; na abhyapadyata = he did not get; vyathaam = perturbed.
Rama endured on his head, that row of steel arrows, having a lustre of black lotus-petals, discharged from the terrific bow. He did not get perturbed.
अथ मन्त्रानपि जपन्रौद्रमस्त्रमुदीरयन् |
शरान्भूयः समादाय रामः क्रोधसमन्वितः || ६-९९-३६
मुमोच च महातेजाश्चापमायम्य वीर्यवान् |
36. atha = thereupon; viiryavaan = the valiant; raamaH = Rama; mahaatejaaH = of great splendor; kroda samanvitaH = was filled with anger; abhijapan = and while reciting; mantraan = sacred incantations; udiirayan = and discharging raudram astram = a presided over by Rudra; samaadaaya = having seized hold; mumocha = and released; sharaan = arrows; bhuuyaH = again; aayanaya = having stretched; chaapam = his bow.
Thereupon, seizing hold of more arrows, reciting sacred incantations and making use of the missile presided over by Rudra and stretching his bow, the valiant Rama of great splendour was filled with anger and released those arrows.
ते महामेघसङ्काशे कवचे पतिताः शराः || ६-९९-३७
अवध्ये राक्षसेन्द्रस्य न व्यथान् जनयन्स्तदा |
37. te sharaaH = those arrows; patitaaH = which fell; avadhye kavache = on the unbreakable armour; raakShasendrasya = of Ravana; mahaameghasamkaasha = looking like a great cloud; na janayan = could not generate; vyathaam = any pain; tadaa = at that time.
Fallen on the unbreakable armour of Ravana, which looked like a large cloud, those arrows could not cause any pain to him at that time.
पुनरेवाथ तन् रामो रथस्थं राक्षसाधिपम् || ६-९९-३८
ललाटे परमास्त्रेण सर्वास्त्रकुशलोअभिनत् |
38. atha = then; raamaH = Rama; sarvaastra kushalaH = who was skilled in the use of all types of mystic missiles; abhinat = sank; lalaaTe = in the forehead; punareva = yet again; paramaastreNa = by a paramount missile; tam raakShasaadhipam = that Ravana; rathastham = seated in his chariot.
Rama, who was skilled in the use of all types of mystic missiles, forthwith pierced in the forehead, yet again by a paramount missile, that Ravana seated in his chariot.
ते भित्त्वा बाणरूपाणि पञ्चशीर्षा इवोरगाः || ६-९९-३९
श्वसन्तो विविशुर्भूमिन् रावणप्रतिकूलताः |
39. bhitvaa = having pierced; baaNaruupaaNi = the frames of arrows (of Ravana); te = the arrows of Rama; vivishuH = penetrated; paN^cha shiirShaa shvasantaH uragaaH iva = like five-headed hissing serpents; bhuumim = into the earth; raavaNa pratikuulitaaH = when rebuffed by Ravana.
Having pierced the frames of arrows of Ravana, Rama's arrows penetrated like five-headed hissing serpents into the earth, when rebuffed by Ravana.
निहत्य राघवस्यास्त्रन् रावणः क्रोधमूर्छितः || ६-९९-४०
आसुरन् सुमहाघोरमन्यदस्त्रं समाददे |
40. nihatya raaghavasya astram = striking down Rama's missile; saH raavaNaH = that Ravana; krodhamuurchhitaH = who was stupefied with anger; chakaara = employed; anyat sumahaaghoram = another exceedingly terrific; aasuram astram = missile presided over by demoniac forces.
Striking down Rama's missile, that Ravana, who was stupefied with anger, employed another exceedingly terrific missile presided over by demoniac forces.
सिन्हव्याघ्रमुखांश्चान्यान्कङ्ककाक मुखानपि || ६-९९-४१
गृध्रश्येनमुखांश्चापि सृगालवदनान्स्तथा |
ईहामृगमुहांश्चान्यान्व्यादितास्यान्भयावहान् || ६-९९-४२
पञ्चास्याण्ल्लेलिहानांश्च ससर्ज निशिताञ्शरान् |
41; 42. sasarja = (He) released; nishitaan = sharp; sharaan = arrows; simhavyaaghra mukhaan cha api = having the heads of lions and tigers; kaN^kakaakamukhaanapi = those of buzzards and crows; gR^idhrashyena mukhaamshchaapi = even of vultures and faloons; tathaa = and; shR^igaala vadanaan = those of jackal; iihaamR^igamukhaashchaapi = and wolves; vyaaditaasyaan = arrows with their months wide open; lehaanaamshcha = having the heads of venomous snakes; paaN^chaasyaan = with five heads; bhayaavahaan = bringing fear.
He released sharp arrows, having the heads of lions and tigers, those of buzzards and crows, even of vultures and faloons, as well as those of jackals and wolves, arrows with their mouths wide open, having the heads of venomous snakes with five heads, bringing fear.
शरान्खरमुखांश्चान्यान्वराहमुखसन्स्थितान् || ६-९९-४३
श्वानकुक्कुटवक्त्रांश्च मकराशीविषाननान् |
एतांश्चान्यांश्च मायाभिः ससर्ज निशिताञ्शरान् || ६-९९-४४
रामं प्रति महातेजाः क्रुद्धः सर्प इव श्वसन् |
43; 44. shvasan = hissing; sarpaH iva = like a serpent; kruddhaH = provoked to anger; (Ravana); mahaatejaaH = who was endowed with extraordinary energy; maayaavii = and conjuring tricks; sasarja = released; raamam prati = towards Rama; etaan = these; anyaan sharaan = and other arrows; kharamukhaan = having the heads of donkeys; varaahamukha samshritaan = those of boars; shvaana kukkuTa vaktraamshcha = dogs and cocks; makaraashiiviShaananaana = alligators and venomous snakes.
Hissing like a serpent provoked to anger Ravana who was endowed with extraordinary energy and conjuring tricks, released towards Rama these and other arrows, having the heads of donkeys, those of boars, dogs and cocks as also of alligators and venomous snakes.
आसुरेण समाविष्टः सोअस्त्रेण रघुनन्दनः || ६-९९-४५
ससर्जास्त्रं महोत्साहः पावकं पावकोपमः |
45. saH raghupuN^gavaH = that Rama; mahotsaahaH = with a great strength; paavakopamaH = and equal to god of fire; samaaviShTaH = but possessed by; aasureNa astreNa = a missile presided over by demoniac forces; sasarja = released; paavakam astram = a missile presided over by the god of fire.
Possessed by a missile presided over by demoniac forces, that Rama endowed with a great strength and resembling the god of fire, released a missile presided over by the god of fire.
अग्निदीप्तमुखान्बाणान्स्तथा सूर्यमुखानपि || ६-९९-४६
चन्द्रार्धचन्द्रवक्त्रांश्च धूमकेतुमुखानपि |
ग्रहनक्षत्रवर्णांश्च महोल्का मुखसन्स्थितान् || ६-९९-४७
विद्युज्जिह्वोपमांश्चान्यान्ससर्ज निशिताञ्शरान् |
46. (Rama) sasarja = employed; tatra = there; vividhaan sharaan = various kinds of arrows; agnidiipta mukhaan baaNaan = some with heads bright as fire; suurya mukhaanapi = others with heads shining like the sun; chandraardhachandra vaktraan = the moon; the crescent; dhuumaketu mukhaanapi = a comet; grahanakShatra varNaamshcha = others shining like planets; lunar mansions; maholkaamukhasamsthitaan = and a huge meteor; vidyujjihvopamaan = and some resembling flashes of lightning.
Rama employed there, various kinds of arrows, with heads bright as fire, others with heads shining like the sun, the moon, the crescent, a comet, others shining like planets, lunar mansions and a huge meteor and some arrows resembling flashes of lightning.
ते रावणशरा घोरा राघवास्त्रसमाहताः || ६-९९-४८
विलयन् जग्मुराकाशे जग्मुश्चैव सहस्रशः |
48. raaghavaastra samaahataaH = struck by the missile of Rama; te = those; ghoraaH = terrific; raavaNasharaaH = arrows of Ravana; jagmuH = got; vilayam = destroyed; aakaashe = in the sky; jagmuH = and fell; sahasrashaH = in thousands of pieces.
Struck by Rama's missile, the terrific arrows of Ravana got destroyed in the sky and fell down in thousands of pieces.
तदस्त्रं निहतन् दृष्ट्वा रामेणाक्लिष्टकर्मणा || ६-९९-४९
हृष्टा नेदुस्ततः सर्वे कपयः कामरूपिणः |
सुग्रीवाभिमुखा वीराः संपरिक्षिप्य रागवम् || ६-९९-५०
49; 50. hR^iShTaaH dR^iShTvaa = rejoiced to see; tat astram = that missile; nihatam = struck down; raameNa = by Rama; akliShTakarmaNaa = who was unweary in action; sarve viiraaH kapayaH = all the valiant monkeys; kaama ruupiNaH = who were capable of changing their form at will; tataH = then; neduH = raised a clamour; samparikShipya = encompassing; raamam = Rama; sugriivaabhi mukhaaH = facing Sugreeva.
Rejoiced to see that missile struck down by Rama, who was unweary in action, all the valiant monkeys, who were capable of changing their form at will, then encompassing Rama, raised a clamour, facing Sugreeva.
ततस्तदस्त्रं विनिहत्य राघवः |
प्रसह्य तद्रावणबाहुनिःसृतम् |
मुदान्वितो दाशरथिर्महात्मा |
विनेदुरुच्चैर्मुदिताः कपीश्वरा || ६-९९-५१
51. vinihatya = striking down; prasahya = with force; tat = that; astram = missile; tadraavaNabaahuniHsR^itam = which came forth from the hands of that Ravana; mahaatmaa = the great souled; daasharathiH = Rama; tataH = then; mudaa anvitaH = was filled with joy; muditaiH = full of joy; vineduH uchchaiH = shouted loudly.
Striking down with force that missile which came forth from Ravana's arms, the great-souled Rama, then was filled with rejoice while the chiefs of monkeys, full f joy, shouted loudly.
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे एकोनशततमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© April 2009, K. M. K. Murthy
Read more about:
arrows and rama
File copied by Go FTP FREE Software