On beholding the sight of female-demons, afflicted with grief in the houses of Lanka, Ravana is very much enraged and orders his generals to tell their armies to set out for the battle immediately. Ravana promises them to take revenge by killing Rama and Lakshmana as also monkey-chiefs in the battle. Accompanied by several demon-warriors, Ravana marched to the battle-field, where Rama and Lakshmana are while Ravana is sallying forth for the battle, he sees several bad omens presaging his death. On hearing the noise of the demons entering the battle-field, the army of monkeys return to the battle. A tumultuous fight ensues, between the monkeys and the demons. Ravana fights fiercely with monkeys.
आर्तानान् राक्षसीनान् तु लङ्कायां वै कुले कुले
रावणः करुणन् शब्दं शुश्राव परिवेदितम् || ६-९५-१
1. raavaNaH = Ravana; shushraava = heard; karuNam = the mournful; paridevitam = and plaintive; shabdam = cry; aartaanaam = of the afflicted; raakShasiinaam = femal-demons; kule kule = in every house; laN^kaayaam = at Lanaka.
Ravana for his part heard the mournful and plaintive cry of the afflicted female-demons in every house at Lanka.
स तु दीर्घन् विनिश्वस्य मुहूर्तन् ध्यानमास्थितः |
बभूव परमक्रुद्धो रावणो भीमदर्शनः || ६-९५-२
2. viniHshvasya = sighing; diirgham = for a long time; aasthitaH = and remaining engrossed; dhyaanam = in reflection; muhuurtam = for a while; saH raavaNaH = that Ravana; paramakruddhaH = was very much enraged; babhuuva = and assumed; bhiimadarshanaH = a frightful appearance.
Sighing for a long time and remaining engrossed in reflection for a while, that Ravana was very much enraged and assumed a frightful appearance.
सन्दश्य दशनैरोष्ठन् क्रोधसन्रक्तलोचनः |
राक्षसैरपि दुर्दर्शः कालाग्निरिव मूर्छितः || ६-९५-३
3. samdashya = nipping; oShTham = his lips; dashanaiH = with his teeth; krodhasamraktalochanaH = his eyes becoming blood-red with anger; durdarshaH = his sight becoming difficult to endure; raakShasairapi = even for demons; (Ravana) muurchhitaH kaalagniriva = looked like the augmented fire of dissolution.
Nipping his lips with his teeth, his eyes becoming blood-red with anger, and his sight becoming difficult to endure even for the demons, Ravana looked like the augmented fire of dissolution.
उवाच च समीपस्थान्राक्षसान्राक्षसेश्वरः |
भयाव्यक्तकथान्स्तत्र निर्दहन्निव चक्षुषा || ६-९५-४
महोदरं महापार्श्वन् विरूपाक्षन् च राक्षसं |
शीघ्रन् वदत सैन्यानि निर्यातेति ममाज्ञया || ६-९५-५
4; 5. raakShaseshvaraH = Ravana; krodhaavyakta kathaH = in words indistinct with anger; nirdahanniva = as though consuming them; chakShuShaa = with his glance; uvaacha = ordered; raakShasaan = the demons; tatra samiipasthaan = standing there near him; mahodara = viz. Mahodara; mahaapaarshva = Mahaparshva; viruupaakSham = and Virupaksha; raakShasam = the demon; (as follows); vadata = tell; sainyaani = the armies; iti = (asking them); niryaata = to start;shiighra = immediately; mama anjJNayaa = as per my command.
Ravana, in words indistinct with anger as though consuming them with his glance, ordered the demons, standing there near him, viz. Mahodara, Mahaparshva and Virupaksha, the demon (as follows): "Tell the armies asking them to start immediately, as per my command."
तस्य तद्वचनन् श्रुत्वा राक्षसास्ते भयार्दिताः |
चोदयामासुरव्यग्रान्राक्षसान्स्तान्नृपाज्ञया || ६-९५-६
6. shrutvaa = hearing; tasya tat vachanam = that command of Ravana; te raakShasaaH = those demons; bhayaarditaaH = were tormented with fear; chodayamaasa = and enjoined; taan avyagraan raakShasaan = those demons who felt unagitated; nR^ipaajJNayaa = in accordance with the orders of the king.
Hearing that command of Ravana, those demons were tormented with fear and enjoined those armies of demons, who felt unagitated, in accordance with the orders of the king.
ते तु सर्वे तथेत्युक्त्वा राक्षसा भीमदर्शनाः |
कृतस्वस्त्ययनाः सर्वे रावणाभिमुखा ययुः || ६-९५-७
7. uktvaa = saying; tatheti = 'so it be'; sarve = all; te = those; raakShasaaH = demons; bhiimadarshanaaH = of terrible aspect; svastyanaaH = asking for a blessing of the Almighty for averting evil; te sarve = all of them; yayuH = sallied forth; raNaabhimukhaaH = with their faces turned towards the battle-field.
Saying, 'so it be', all those demons of terrible aspect, praying for the blessing of the Almighty for averting evil, sallied forth, with their faces turned towards the battle-field.
प्रतिपूज्य यथान्यायन् रावणन् ते महारथाः |
तस्थुः प्रांजलयः सर्वे भर्तुर्विजयकांक्षिणः || ६-९५-८
8. pratipunjya = paying reverence to; raavaNam = Ravana; yathaanyaayam = according to rules of propriety; sarve te mahaarathaaH = all those demons; the great car-warriors; vijayakaaNkShiNaH = wishing victory; bhartuH = of their lord; tasthu = stood; praajJNalayaH = with joined palms.
Paying reverence to Ravana according to the rules of propriety, all those great car-warriors stood with joined palms, wishing victory to their lord.
अथोवाच प्रहस्यैतान्रावणः क्रोधमूर्छितः |
महोदरमहापार्श्वौ विरूपाक्षन् च राक्षसं || ६-९५-९
9. prahasya = laughing heartily; raavaNaH = Ravana; tataH = then; krodhamuurchhitaH = stupefied with anger; uvaacha = spoke; etaan = to those demons; mahodara mahaapaarshvau = Mahodara; Mahaparshva; virupaakShaM cha = and Virupaksha; raakShasam = the demon.
Laughing heartily, Ravana then, stupefied as he was with anger, spoke to those demons viz. Mahodara, Mahaparshva and Virupaksha, the demons as follows:
अद्य बाणैर्धनुर्मुक्तैर्युगान्तादित्यसंनिभैः |
राघवन् लक्ष्मणन् चैव नेष्यामि यमसाधनम् || ६-९५-१०
10. adya = today; neShyaami = I will send; raaghavam = Rama; lakShmaNamchaiva = and Lakshmana; yamasaadanam = to the abode of Death; baaNaiH = with my arrows; yugaantaaditya samnibhaiH = looking similar to the sun at the time of dissolution of the universe.
"Today, I will send Rama and Lakshmana to the abode of Death, with my arrows looking similar to the sun at the time of dissolution of the Universe."
खरस्य कुम्भकर्णस्य प्रहस्तेन्द्रजितोस्तथा |
करिष्यामि प्रतीकारमद्य शत्रुवधादहम् || ६-९५-११
11. shatruvadhaat = by killing the enemies; adya = now; aham = I; kariShyaami = will take; pratiikaaram = vengeance; kharasya = for Khara; KumbhakarNasya = Kumbhakarna; tathaa = and; prahastendrajito = Prahasta and Indrajit.
"By killing the enemies now, I will take vengeance for Khara, Kumbhakarna, Prahasta and Indrajit."
नैवान्तरिक्षं न दिशो न नद्यो नापि सागरः |
प्रकाशत्वन् गमिष्यामि मद्बाणजलदावृताः || ६-९५-१२
12. antarikSham = the sky; madbaaNajaladaa vR^itaaH = overcast by my arrows; looking like clouds; na = will not (obtain); prakaashatvam = clarity; na = neither; dishaH = the quarters; na = nor; dyauH = the heaven; na = nor; saaaraaH api = the seas; gamiShyanti = will come to view.
"The sky overcast by my arrows, like clouds, will not be distinctly seen. Neither the quarters, nor the heaven, nor the seas will come to view."
अद्य वानरयूथानान् तानि यूथानि भागशः |
धनुःसमुद्रादुद्भूतैर्मथिष्यामि शरोर्मिभिः || ६-९५-१३
13. patattriNaa sharajaalena = with a multitude of plumed arrows; dhanuShaa = joined with my bow; bhaagashaH = by turns; vadhiShyaami = I will kill; yuuthaani = troops; vaanaramukhyaanaam = monkey-chiefs; adya = today.
"With a multitude of plumed arrows joined with my bow, I will kill, by turns, the troops of monkey-chiefs today."
अद्य वानरसैन्यानि रथेन पवनौजसा |
धनुःसमुद्रादुद्भूतैर्मथिष्यामि शरोर्मिभिः || ६-९५-१४
14. rathena = by mounting on a chariot; pavanaujasaa = with a speed equal to the wind; mathiShyaami = I will crush; adya = today; vaanara sainyaani = the armies of monkeys; sharormiH = with waves of arrows; udbhuutaiH = born; dhanuH samudraat = out of the ocean of my bow.
"By mounting on a chariot, having a speed equal to that of wind, I will destroy today the armies of monkeys, with waves of arrows arising out of the ocean of my bow.
व्याकोशपद्मचक्राणि पद्मकेसरवर्चसाम् |
अद्य यूथतटाकानि गजवत्प्रमथाम्यहम् || ६-९५-१५
15. gajavat = like an elephant; adya = today; aham = I; pramathaami = will destroy; yuutha taTaakaani = ponds in the form of troops of monkeys; padmakesara varchasaam = shining like the filaments of louts; vyaakoshapadmavaktraaNi = with their faces resembling full-blown lotuses.
"Like an elephant, today I will destroy ponds in the form of troops of monkeys shining like the filaments of lotus, with their faces resembling full-blown lotuses."
सशरैरद्य वदनैः संख्ये वानरयूथपाः |
मण्डयिष्यन्ति वसुधान् सनालैरिव पंकलैः || ६-९५-१६
16. vadanaiH = with their faces; sasharaiH = transfixed with arrows; vaanarayuuthapaaH = the monkey-leaders; samkhye = lying on the battle-field; adya = today; maN^DayiShyanti = will adorn; vasudhaam = the earth; paN^kajairiva = as with lotuses; sanaalaiH = together with the stalks.
"With their faces transfixed with arrows, the monkey-leaders, lying on the battle-field today will adorn the earth as with lotuses together with the stalks."
अद्य युद्धप्रचण्डानान् हरीणान् द्रुमयोधिनाम् |
मुक्तेनैकेषुणा युद्धे भेत्स्यामि च शतंशतम् || ६-९५-१७
17. ekeShaNaa = with each arrow; muktena = released; yuddhe = in battle; adya = today; bhetsyaami = I sall tear; shatam shatam = one hundred full; hariiNaam = of monkeys; yuuthaprachaNDaanaam = the most furious of their troop; drumayodhinaam = fighting with trees.
"With each arrow released in battle today, I shall tear one hundred full of monkeys, the most furious of their troop, fighting with trees."
हतो भर्ता हतो भ्राता यासान् च तनया हताः |
वधेनाद्य रिपोस्तासान् कर्मोम्यस्रप्रमार्जनम् || ६-९५-१८
18. vadhena = by killing; ripoH = of the enemy; adya = today; ashrupramaarjanam karomi = I shall wipe off the tears; teShaam = of those; yeShaam = whose; bhraataa = brother; hataH = was killed; yeShaam = and whose; tanayaH = son; hataH = was killed.
"By killing the enemy today, I shall wipe off the tears of those demons, who lost their brothers and sons."
अद्य मद्बाणनिर्भिन्नैः प्रकीर्णैर्गतचेतनैः |
करोमि वानरैर्युद्धे यत्नावेक्ष्य तलां महीम् || ६-९५-१९
19. karomi mahiim = I shall cover the earth (so fully); yatnaavekShyatalaam = that it would be possible to see its surface only with effort; see its vaanaraiH = with the monkeys; madbaaNa nirbhinnaiH = pierced with my arrows; prastirNaiH = and lying scattered; yuddhe = in the battle-field; gatachetanaiH = and bereft of their lives; adya = today.
"With the monkeys pierced with my arrows, lying scattered in the battle-field and bereft of their lives today, I shall cover the earth so fully, that it would be possible to see its surface only with effort."
अद्य काकाश्च गृध्रा ये च मान्साशिनोअपरे |
सर्वान्स्तान्स्तर्पयिष्यामि शत्रुमान्सैः शरार्दितैः || ६-९५-२०
20. adya = today; tarpayiShyaami = I shall satiate; kaakaashcha = the crows; gR^iddhraashcha = the vultures; sarvaan taan = and all those; apare = other beings; ye = which; maamsaashinaH = eat the flesh; shatrumaamsaiH = with the flesh of enemies; sharaahataiH = struck by my arrows.
"Today, I shall satiate the crows, vultures and all those other creatures which eat the flesh, with the flesh of enemies, struck by my arrows."
कल्प्यतां मे रथशीघ्रन् क्षिप्रमानीयतां धनुः |
अनुप्रयान्तु मान् युद्धे येअवशिष्टा निशाचराः || ६-९५-२१
21. me rathaH = (Let) my chariot; kalpyataam = be arranged; shiighram = quickly; dhanuH = (Let) my bow; aaniiyataam = be brought; kShipram = swiftly; nishaasharaaH = (Let) the demons; ye = who; shiShTaaH = are remaining; atra = here; anuprayaantu = follow; maam = me; yuddhe = to the combat.
"Arrange my chariot quickly. Bring my bow swiftly. Let all the remaining demons here, follow me to the combat."
तस्य तद्वचनन् श्रुत्वा महापार्श्वोअब्रवीद्वचः |
बलाध्यक्षान्स्थितान्स्तत्र बलन् सन्त्वर्यताम् इति || ६-९५-२२
22. shrutvaa = hearing; tat vachanam = that command; tasya = of Ravana; mahaapaashvaH = Mahaparshva; abraviit = ordered; iti vachaH = the (following) words; balaadhyakShaan = to the army chiefs; sthitaan = standing; tatra = there; balam = "(Let) the army; samtvaryataam = be made ready quickly!"
Hearing that command of Ravana, Mahaparshva ordered the army-chiefs, standing there, as follows: "let the army be made ready quickly."
बलाध्यक्षास्तु सन्रब्धा राक्षसान्स्तान्गृहाद्गृहात् |
चोदयन्तः परिययुर्लङ्कान् लघुपराक्रमाः || ६-९५-२३
23. balaadhyakShastu = the army-chiefs for their part; laghuparaakramaaH = with quickly resolution; samrabdhaaH = joined hand in hand; chodayantaH = and hastened; taan = those; raakShasaan = demons; gR^ihe gR^ihe = in every house; pariyayuH = going around; laN^kaam = the City of Lanka.
Going around the city of Lanka, the army-chiefs for their part, with quick resolution, joined hand in hand and hastened the demons in every house to set out for the battle.
ततो मुहूर्तान्निष्पेतू राक्षसा भीमविक्रमाः |
नर्दन्तो भीमवदना नानाप्रहरणैर्भुजैः || ६-९५-२४
असिभिः पट्टसैः शूलैर्गलाभिर्मुसलैर्हलैः |
शक्तिभिस्तीक्ष्णधाराभिर्महद्भिः कूटमुद्गरैः || ६-९५-२५
यष्टिभिर्विमलैश्चक्रैर्निशितैश्च परश्वधैः |
भिण्डिपालैः शतघ्नीभिरन्यैश्चापि वरायुधैः || ६-९५-२६
24-26. raakShasaaH = the demons; bhiimadarshanaaH = of terrible aspect; bhiimavadanaaH = having awful faces; tataH = then; nadantaH = roaring; bhujaiH = their arms; naanaa praharaNaiH = equipped with various weapons; ashibhiH = viz.; swords; paTTishaiH = sharp-edged darts; shuulaiH = pikes; gadaabhiH = maces; musalaiH = clubs; halaiH = plough-like weapon; tiikShadharaabhiH = sharp-edged; shaktibhiH = javelins; mahadbhiH = huge; kuuTamudgaraiH = Kutas and Mudgaras; yaShTibhiH = staffs; chakraiH = discuss; vividhaiH = of various kinds; nishitaiH = sharpened; parashvadhaiH = axes; bhindipaalaiH = slings for throwing stones; shataghniibhiH = stones or cylindrical wooden pieces with iron pikes; anyaiH = and other; varaayudhaiH = excellent weapons; niShpetuH = rushed out; muhuurtaat = within a moment.
The demons, of terrible aspect and having awful faces, then roaring, with their arms equipped with various weapons viz. swords, sharp-edged darts, pikes, maces, clubs, plough-like weapons, sharp-edged javelins, huge Kutas and Mudgara, staffs, discuses of every kind, sharpened axes, slings for throwing stones, stones or cylindrical wooden pieces with iron pikes and other excellent weapons, rushed out within a moment.
अथानयन्बलाध्यक्षाश्चत्वारो रावणाज्ञया |
आरुरोह रथन् दिव्यं दीप्यमानन् स्वतेजसा || ६-९५-२७
द्रुतन् सूतसमायुक्तं युक्ताष्टतुरगं रथम् |
27. atha = then; raavaNaajJNayaa = as per the orders of Ravana; balaadhyakShaH = the army-commander; satvaraH = hurriedly; aanayat = brought; ratham = a chariot; drutam = movin swiftly; suuta samaayuktam = along with a charioteer; yuktaaShTaturagam = and yoked with eight horses; tadaa = then; bhiimaH = the terrific Ravana; aaruroha = mounted; diiptyamaanam = that chariot shining; svatejasaa = with his own splendour.
Then, as per the orders of Ravana, the army-commander hurriedly brought a chariot, moving swiftly, along with a charioteer and yoked with eight horses. Thereupon, the awful Ravana mounted that chariot, shining with his own splendour.
ततः प्रयातः सहसा राक्षसैर्बहुभिर्वृतः || ६-९५-२८
रावणः सत्त्वगाम्भीर्याद्दारयन्निव मेदिनीम् |
28. tataH = then; vR^itaH = surrounded; bahubhiH raakShasaiH = with several demons; raavaNaH = Ravana; prayaataH = sallied forth; sahasaa = quickly; daamyanniva = as though he was cracking; mediniim = the earth; sattvagaambhiiryaat = with profundity of is strength.
Then, surrounded by several demons, Ravana sallied forth quickly, as though he was cracking the earth with a profundity of his strength.
ततश्चासीन्महानादस्तूर्याणाम् च ततस्ततः || ६-९५-२९
मृदङ्ग्गैः पटहैः शङ्खैः कलहैः सह रक्षसाम् |
29. tataH = thereupon; mahaan = a great; naadaH = noise; aasiit = emanated; tatstataH = on all sides; tuuryaaNaam = from tambours; mR^idaNgaiH = drums; paTahaiH = kettle-drums; shaN^khaiH = and couches; kalahaiH saha = along with the clamour; rakShasaam = of the demons.
Thereupon, a great noise emanated on all sides from tabors, drums, Kettle-drums and counches along with the clamour of the demons.
आगतो रक्षसां राजा चत्रचामरसंयुतः || ६-९५-३०
सीतापहारी दुर्वृत्तो ब्रह्मघ्नो देवकण्टकः |
योद्धुं रघुवरेणेति शुश्रुवे कलहध्वनिः || ६-९५-३१
30; 31. kalahadhvaniH = a clamour; shushruva = was heard; iti = saying; raakShasaam raajaa = (there comes) the ruler of demons; siitaapahaanii = the abductor of Seetha; brahmaghnah = the destroyer of Brahmanas; devakaN^akaH = the enemy of gods; durvR^ittaH = notorious for his bad conduct; chhatra chaamara samyutaH = accompanied by his canopy and pair of whisks; yoddhum = to fight; raghuvareNa = with Rama; the foremost among the Raghu dynasty.
A clamour was heard, saying "There comes the ruler of demons, the abductor of Seetha, the destroyer of Brahmanas, the enemy of gods, notorious for his bad conduct, accompanied by his canopy and pair of whisks, to fight with Rama, the foremost among the Raghu dynasty."
तेन नादेन महता पृथिवी समकम्पत |
तं शब्दं सहसा श्रुत्वा वानरा दुद्रुवुर्भयात् || ६-९५-३२
32. mahataa tena naadena = by that huge sound; pR^ithivii = the earth; samakampata = trembled; shrutvaa = hearing; tam shabdam = that sound; sahasaa = suddenly; vaanaraaH = the monkeys; dudruvuH = ran away; bhayaat = in fear.
By that huge sound, the earth trembled. Hearing that sound suddenly, the monkeys ran away in fear.
रावणस्तु महाबाहुः सचिवैः परिवारितः |
आजगाम महातेजा जयाय विजयं प्रति || ६-९५-३३
33. mahaabaahuH = the long armed; raavaNastu = Ravana for his part; mahaatejaH = with extra-ordinary energy; parivaaritaH = surrounded; sachivaiH = by his ministers; aajagaama = turned up; vijayam prati = for victory; jayaaya = in quest of victory.
The long-armed Ravana, for his part, with extra-ordinary energy, surrounded by his ministers, turned up for victory in quest of victory.
रावणेनाभ्यनुज्ञातौ महापार्श्वमहोदरौ |
विरूपाक्षश्च दुर्धर्षो रथानारुरुहुस्तदा || ६-९५-३४
34. mahaapaarshva mohodarau = Mahaparshva and Mahodara; viruupaakShashcha = as also Virupaksha; durdharShaH = who was difficult to overpower; abhyanujJNaataa = as ordered; raavaNena = by Ravana; tadaa = then; aaruruhuH = ascended; rathaan = their chariots.
Mahaparshva and Mahodara as also Virupaksha, who was difficult to overpower, as order by Ravana, then ascended their chariots.
ते तु हृष्टा विनर्दन्तो भिन्दत इव मेदिनीम् |
नादन् घोरन् विमुंचन्तो निर्ययुर्जयकांक्षिणः || ६-९५-३५
35. te raakShasaaH = those demons; vinardantaH = roaring; hR^iShTaaH = elatedly; bhindantaH iva = as though cracking; mediniim = the earth; vimuN^chantaH = and emitting; ghoram = an awful; naadam- uroar; niryayuH = sallied forth; jayakaaN^kShiNaH = longing for victory.
Those demons, roaring elatedly, as though cracking the earth, and emitting an awfull uproar, sallied forth, longing for victory.
ततो युद्धाय तेजस्वी रक्षोगणबलैर्वृतः |
निर्ययावुद्यतधनुः कालान्तकयमोमपः || ६-९५-३६
36. tataH = then; kaalaantakayamopamaH = Ravana; resembling the all-destroying time in the form of Yama; tejasvii = and a powerful demon; rakShogaNabalaiH = along with the army-troops of demons; udyatadhanuH = with his raised bow; niryayau = set out; yuddhaaya = for the battle.
Then, the powerful Ravana, resembling the all-destroying Time in the form of Yama, along with his army-troops of demons, set out for the battle with his raised bow.
ततः प्रजवनाश्वेन रथेन स महारथः |
द्वारेण निर्ययौ तेन यत्र तौ रामलक्ष्मणौ || ६-९५-३७
37. tataH = then; saH = that Ravana; mahaarathaH = the great chariot-warrior; rathen = by his chariot; prajavitaashvena = driven by swift horses; niryayau = sallied forth; tena dvaareNa = to the gate; yatra = where; tau = those; raamalakShmaNau = Rama and Lakshmana were there.
Then, that Ravana, the great chariot-warrior, ascending his chariot driven by swift horses, sallied forth to the gate, where Rama and Lakshmana were.
ततो नष्टप्रभः सूर्यो दिशश्च तिमिरावृताः |
द्विजाश्च नेदुर्घोराश्च संचचाल च मेदिनी || ६-९५-३८
38. tataH = then; suuryaH = the sun; naShTaprabhaH = lost its radiance; dishashcha = the quarters too; timiraavR^itaaH = were enveloped in darkness; dvijaashcha = birds; ghoraaH neduH = emitted fearful notes; mediniicha = and the earth too; samchachaala = violently trembled.
Then, the sun lost its radiance. The quarters too were enveloped in darkness. The birds emitted fearful notes. The earth too trembled violently.
ववर्ष रुधिरन् देवश्चस्खलुश्च तुरंगमाः |
ध्वजाग्रे न्यपतद्गृध्रो विनेदुश्चाशिवन् शिवाः || ६-९५-३९
39. devaH = the cloud; vavarSha = rained; rudhiram = blood; turaNgamaaH = the horses; chaShalushcha = stumbled; gR^idhraH = a vulture; nyapatat = descended; dhvajaagre = on the top of the ensign; shivaashcha = jackals; ashivaaH vineduH = emitted sinister howls.
The cloud rained blood. The horses stumbled. A vulture descended on the top of the ensign. Jackals emitted sinister howls.
नयनन् चास्फुरद्वामन् सव्यो बाहुरकम्पत |
विवर्णवदनश्चासीत्किन् चिदभ्रश्यत स्वनः || ६-९५-४०
40. vaamam = his left; nayanamcha = eye too; asphurat = throbbed; vaamaH = the left; baahuH = arm; akampata = trembled; aasiit = (He) became; vivarNavadanaH = pale-faced; svanaH = his voice; kimchit = was a little; abhrashyata = dropped.
His left eye too throbbed. His left arm trembled. He became pale-faced. His voice was a little lowered.
ततो निष्पततो युद्धे दशग्रीवस्य रक्षसः |
रणे निधनशन्सीनि रूपाण्येतानि जज्ञिरे || ६-९५-४१
41. rakShasaH dashagriivasya = when Ravana the demon; niShpatataH = was sallying forth; yuddhe = for the battle; tataH = then; etaani = these; ruupaaNi = evil images; nidhana shamsiini = predicting his death; jaN^jire = appeared; raNe = in the battle-field.
When Ravana the demon was sallying forth for the battle, the following evil phenomena, predicting his death, appeared in the battle-field.
अन्तरिक्षात्पपातोल्का निर्घातसमनिस्वना |
विनेदुरशिवन् गृध्रा वायसैरनुनादिताः || ६-९५-४२
42. ulkaa = a meteor; nirghaata samniH svanaa = with a sound similar to a thunder; papaata = fell down; antarikShaat = from the sky; ashivaaH = ill-omened; gR^idharaaH = vultures; abhimishritaaH = together; vaayasaiH = with crows; vineduH = cried out aloud.
A meteor with a sound similar to a thunder, fell down from the sky. Ill-omened vultures together with crows cried out aloud.
निर्ययौ रावणो मोहाद्वधार्थी कालचोदितः || ६-९५-४३
43. achintayan = ignoring; etaan = those; utpaataan = bad omens; samavasthitaan = which came; ghoraan = dreadfully; mohaat = due to ignorance; raavaNaH = Ravana; niryayau = marched forward; vadhaartham = for the purpose of massacre (in battle); kaala choditaH = driven as he was by fate.
Ignoring these dreadful bad omens due to his ignorance, Ravana marched forward for the purpose of the massacre in battle, driven as he was by fate.
तेषान् तु रथघोषेण राक्षसानां महात्मनाम् |
वानराणामपि चमूर्युद्धायैवाभ्यवर्तत || ६-९५-४४
44. rathaghoSheNa = (on hearing) the sound of the chariot; mahaatmanaam teShaam rakShasaanaam = of those mighty demons; chamuuH api = that army too; vaanaraaNaam = of monkeys; abhyavartata = returned; yuddhaayaiva = for the fight.
On hearing the sound of the chariot of those mighty demons, that army of monkeys too returned for the fight.
तेषान् सुतुमुलं युद्धं बभूव कपिरक्षसाम् |
अन्योन्यमाह्वयानानान् क्रुद्धानां जयमिच्छताम् || ६-९५-४५
45. tumulam = a tumultuous; yuddham = battle; babhuuva = ensued; teShaam rakShasaanaam = of those mighty demons; chamuuH api = that army too; vaanaraaNaam = of monkeys; abhyavartata = returned; yuddhaayaiva = for the fight.
A tumultuous battle ensued between those monkeys and demons, who were fond of victory and summoning each other for combat with rage.
ततः क्रुद्धो दशग्रीवः शरैः कांचनभूषणैः |
वानराणामनीकेषु चकार कदनं महत् || ६-९५-४६
46. tataH = thereupon; kruddhaH = the enraged; dashagriivaH = Ravana; sharaiH = with his arrows; kaaN^chana bhuuShaNaiH = decked with gold; chakaara = performed; mahat = a great; kadanam = combat; vanaaraaNaam aniikeShu = with the army of monkeys.
Thereupon, the enraged Ravana, with his arrows decked with that army of monkeys.
निकृत्तशिरसः के चिद्रावणेन वलीमुखाः |
केचिद्विच्छिन्नहृदयाः केचिच्छ्रोत्रविवर्जिताः || ६-९५-४७
47. kechit = some; valiimukhaaH = monkeys; nikR^itta shirasaH = had their heads cut off; raavaNena = by Ravana; kechit = some; vibhinna hR^idayaaH = had their hearts pierced; kechit = some; shrotra vivarjitaaH = were made deprived of their ears.
Some monkeys had their heads chopped off by Ravana. Some had their hearts pierced. Some were made deprived of their ears.
निरुच्छ्वासा हताः के चित्के चित्पार्श्वेषु दारिताः |
के चिद्विभिन्नशिरसः के चिच्चक्षुर्विवर्जिताः || ६-९५-४८
48. kechit = some; niruchchhvaasaaH = became breathless; hataah = and killed; kechit = some; daaritaaH = were torn; paarshveShu = in the region of the ribs; kechit = some; vibhinna shirasaH = had their heads broken; kechit = some; kR^itaaH = were made; chakShurvinaa = deprived of their eyes.
Some were struck down breathless. Some were torn in their ribs. Some had their skulls smashed. Some were deprived of their eyes.
दशाननः क्रोधविवृत्तनेत्रो यतो यतोअभ्येति रथेन संख्ये |
ततस्ततस्तस्य शरप्रवेगं सोढुं न शेकुर्हरियूथपास्ते || ६-९५-४९
49. yataH yataH = whichever side; dashaananaH = Ravana; abhyeti = was coming (in his chariot); samkhye = on the battle-field; krodha viviR^itta netraH = his eyes rolling in anger; te hariyuuthapaaH = those monkeys-warriors; tatstataH = on that side; soDhum na shekuH = could not withstand; sharapravegam = the rapidity of his arrows.
Whichever side Ravana was coming in his chariot on the battle-field, his eyes rolling in anger, those monkey-warriors, on that side, could not with stand the rapidity of his arrows.
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे पज्ञ्चनवतितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© March 2009, K. M. K. Murthy