The female-demons lament over the death of their husbands and kinsfolk in battle. They further rebuke Surpanakha, for being the prime cause to bring Seetha to Lanka forcibly by Ravana and for all the combat occurring with Rama thereafter. The female-demons feel sad that Ravana did not heed to the appropriate advice given by Vibhishana. They further lament on perceiving bad omens and predict the annihilation of Ravana. They recollect an instance of celestials praying for Shiva and getting a boon that a woman (Seetha) will be born to cause the destruction of demons.
तानि नागसहस्राणि सारोहाणान् च वाजिनाम् |
रथानान् चाग्निवर्णानान् सध्वजानां सहस्रशः || ९४-६-१
राक्षसानान् सहस्राणि गदापरिघयोधिनाम् |
कांचनध्वजचित्राणान् शूराणान् कामरूपिणाम् || ९४-६-२
निहतानि शरैस्तीक्ष्णैस्तप्तकांचनभूषणैः |
रावणेन प्रयुक्तानि रामेणाक्लिष्टकर्मणा || ९४-६-३
1; 2; 3. raameNa = by Rama; akliShTakarmaNaa = who was unweary in action; sharaiH = with his arrows; diiptaiH = which were shining; taptakaaN^chana bhuuShaNaiH = and adorned with pure gold; hataani = were killed; taani naaga sahasraaNi = those thousand = of elephants; prayuktaani = sent; raavaNena = by Ravana; vaajinaam = thousand = of horses; shuuraaNaam = the valiant; raakShasaanaam = demons; kaamaruupiNaam = who can change their form at will; saarohaaNi = mounted on sahasrashaH rathaanaam = thousands of chariots; sadhvajaanaam = with their flag-staffs; agnivarNaanaam = and having the colour of fire; gada parighayodhinaam = fighting with maces and iron rods; kaaN^chana dhvaja chitraaNaam = ad conspicuous with their golden banners.
Rama, who was unweary in action, with his shining arrows adorned with pure gold, killed those thousands of elephants dispatched by Ravana, thousands of horses, valiant demons who can change their form at will mounted on thousands of chariots with their flag-staffs, having the colour of fire, fighting with maces and iron rods and conspicuous with their golden banners.
दृष्ट्वा श्रुत्वा च सम्भ्रान्ता हतशेषा निशाचराः |
राक्षस्यश्च समागम्य दीनाश्चिन्तापरिप्लुताः || ९४-६-४
विधवा हतपुत्राश्च क्रोशन्त्यो हतबान्धवाः |
राक्षस्यः सह संगम्य दुःखार्ताः पर्यदेवयन् || ९४-६-५
4; 5. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; shrutvaa cha = and hearing; (about the killing of demons); hatasheShaaH = the surviving; nishaacharaaH = demons; sambhraantaaH = were frightened; diinaaH = looked sad; chintaapariplutaaH = and overwhelmed with anxiety; samaagamya = on meeting; raakShasiiH = their wives; paryadevayan = wailed; vidhavaaH = the female-demons; who lost their husbands; hata putraashcha = who lost their sons; hatabaandhavaaH cha = and who lost their kinsfolk; saha samgamya = meeting together; duHkhaartaaH = were stricken as they were with sorrow; kroshantyaH = wailed (as follows):
Seeing and hearing about the killing of the demons, the surviving demons well frightened, looked sad and were overwhelmed with anxiety. They wailed when they met their wives. All female-demons who lost their husbands, sons and kinsfolk met at one place, stricken as they were with sorrow, wailed as follows:
कथन् शूर्पणखा वृद्धा कराला निर्णतोदरी |
आससाद वने रामन् कन्दर्पमिव रूपिणम् || ९४-६-६
6. katham = how did; vR^iddhaaH = the old; karaalaa = and ugly; shuurpaNakhaa = Surpanakha; nirNatodarii = of sunken belly; aasasaada = approach; vane = in the forest; raamam = Rama; kandarpasama ruupiNam = who is charming like the god of love?
"How did the old and ugly Surpanakha, of sunken belly, approach, in the forest, Rama who is charming like the god of love?"
सुकुमारं महासत्त्वन् सर्वभूतहिते रतम् |
तन् दृष्ट्वा लोकवध्या सा हीनरूपा प्रकामिता || ९४-६-७
7. katham = how; dR^iShTvaa = on seeing; tam = that Rama; sukumaaram = of tender youth; mahaasattvam = endowed with extra ordinary strength; sarva bhuuta hite rataaH = and devoted to the welfare of all created beings; saa hiina ruupaa = that ugly woman; lokanindyaaH = who deserved to be condemned by people; prakaamitaa = was stung with excessive lust?
"How strange that on seeing that Rama of tender youth, endowed with extraordinary strength and devoted to the welfare of all created beings, that ugly woman (Surpanakha) who deserved to be condemned by the people, was stung with excessive lust?"
कथन् सर्वगुणैर्हीना गुणवन्तं महौजसं |
सुमुखन् दुर्मुखी रामं कामयामास राक्षसी || ९४-६-८
8. katham = how; durmukhii raakShasii = that ugly faced demoness; sarva guNaiH hiinaa = who is bereft of all virtues; kaamayaamaasa = dare to make love; raamam = to Rama; guNavantam = who is full of virtues; mahonjasam = endowed with great bodily strength; sumukham = and who possessed a beautiful face?
"How that ugly-faced demoness, who is bereft of all virtues, dared to make love to Rama, who is full of virtues, endowed with great bodily strength and who possessed a charming countenance?"
जनस्यास्याल्पभाग्यत्वात्पलिनी श्वेतमूर्धजा |
अकार्यमपहास्यन् च सर्वलोकविगर्हितम् || ९४-६-९
राक्षसानान् विनाशाय दूषणस्य खरस्य च |
चकाराप्रतिरूपा सा राघवस्य प्रधर्षणम् || ९४-६-१०
9; 10. alpabhaagyatvaat = because of ill luck; asya lokasya = of these people; vinaashaaya = and to the destruction; raakShasaanaam = of demons; duuShaNasya = and of Dushana; kharasya cha = and Khara; shveta muurdhajaa = the grey-haired; apratiruupaa = and disgusting woman; valinii = who had developed wrinkles; pradharShaNam chakaara = tried to be arrogant; raaghavasya = with Rama; akaaryam = a misdeed; apahaasyan = which was worth ridiculing; sarvalokagarhitam = and condemned by the whole world.
"Because of the ill-luck of these people, and to the destruction of demons and of Dushana and Khara, that grey-haired and disgusting woman, who had developed wrinkles, tried to be arrogant with Rama, misdeed which was worth ridiculing and condemned by the whole world."
तन्निमित्तमिदन् वैरं रावणेन कृतं महत् |
वधाय नीता सा सीता दशग्रीवेण रक्षसा || ९४-६-११
11. tannimittam = for the sake of that Surpanakha; idam mahat vairam = this huge enmity; kR^itam = has been built; raavaNena = by Ravana; vadhaaya = for his destruction; saa siitaa = that Seetha; aaniitaa = was brought; dashagriiveNa = by Ravana; rakShasaa = the demon.
"For the sake of that Surpanakha, Ravana built this huge enmity. For his own destruction, Ravana the demon brought that Seetha."
न च सीतान् दशग्रीवः प्राप्नोति जनकात्मजाम् |
बद्धं बलवता वैरमक्षयन् राघवेण ह || ९४-६-१२
12. dashagriivaH = Ravana; nachapraapnoti = cannot obtain; siitaam = Seetha; janakaatmajam = the daughter of Janaka; balavataa raaghaveNa = (But) with the mighty Rama; akShayam = an endless; vairam = enmity; baddham = has been built.
"Ravana cannot obtain Seetha, the daughter of Janaka, but an endless enmity has been built with the mighty Rama."
वैदेहीं प्रार्थयानन् तन् विराधं प्रेक्ष्य राक्षसं |
हतमेकेन रामेण पर्याप्तन् तन्निदर्शनम् || ९४-६-१३
13. prekShya = seeing; tat = that; nidarshanam = instance; viraadham = of Viradha; raakShasam = the demon; praarthayaanam = who was yearning for; vaidehiim = Seetha; hatam = and was killed; ekena raameNa = single-handed by Rama; paryaantam = is enough.
"Seeing that instance of Rama killing single-handedly Viradha the demon, who was yearning for Seetha, is enough indeed (to convince Ravana of Rama's strength and ability)"
चतुर्दशसहस्राणि रक्षसां भीमकर्मणाम् |
निहतानि जनस्थाने शरैरग्निशिखोपमैः || ९४-६-१४
14. janasthaane = In Janasthana; chaturdasha = fourteen; sahasraaNi = thousand; bhiimakarmaNaam rakShasaam = demons doing terrific feats; nihataani = were killed (by Rama); sharaiH = with his arrows; agnishikhopamaiH = looking like tongues of fire.
"In Janasthana, Rama killed fourteen thousand demons who were doing terrific feats, with his arrows resembling tongues of fire."
खरश्च निहतः संख्ये दूषणस्त्रिशिरास्तथा |
शरैरादित्यसंकाशैः पर्याप्तन् तन्निदर्शनम् || ९४-६-१५
15. samkhye = In the battle; sharaiH = with his arrows; aaditya samkaashaiH = resembling the sun; kharashcha = Khara; nihataH = was killed; duuShaNaH = DushaNa; tathaa = and; trishiraaH = Trishira (were killed); tat = that; nidarshanam- instance; paryaaptam = is sufficient.
"In that battle, Khara, Dushana and Trishira were killed with arrows resembling the sun. That instance should have been sufficient (to open the eyes of Ravana)."
हतो योजनबाहुश्च कबन्धो रुधिराशनः |
क्रोधार्तो विनदन्सोअथ पर्याप्तन् तन्निदर्शनम् || ९४-६-१६
16. atha = further; saH abandhaH = that Kabandha; yojana baahuH = having arms with a length of eight miles each; rudhiraashanaH = with blood as his food; naadam nadan = and roaring; krodhaat = with anger; hatah = was killed; tat = that; nidarshanam = instance; paryaaptam = should have been sufficient.
"Further, that Kabandha having arms with a length of eight miles each, with blood as his food and roaring with anger was killed. That instance should have been sufficient."
जघान बलिनन् रामः सहस्रनयनात्मजम् |
बालिनं मेघसंकाशं पर्याप्तन् तन्निदर्शनम् || ९४-६-१७
17. raamaH = Rama; jaghaana = killed; balinam vaalinam = the mighty Vali; sahasra nayanaatmajam = the son of Indra the lord of celestials; megha samkaasham = and looking like the cloud; tat = that; nidarshanam = instance; paryaaptam = should have been sufficient.
"Rama killed the mighty Vali, the son of Indra the lord of celestials, looking like the black cloud. That instance should have been sufficient. (To open the eyes of Ravana)"
ऋश्यमूके वसंशैले दीनो भग्नमनोरथः |
सुग्रीवः स्थापितो राज्ये पर्याप्तन् तन्निदर्शनम् || ९४-६-१८
18. raajyam = kingdom; praapitaH = was restored; diinaH sugriivaH = to miserable Sugreeva; vasan = who was residing; R^iShyamuuke = in Mount Rishyamuka; bhagna manorathaH = living with his wishes disappointed; tat = that; midarshanam = instance; paryaaptam = should prove sufficient.
"The kingdom was restored to the miserable Sugreeva, who was residing in Mount Rishyamuka, living with his wishes disappointed. That instance should prove sufficient. (To open the eyes of Ravana)."
धर्मार्थसहितन् वाक्यं सर्वेषां रक्षसां हितम् |
युक्तन् विभीषणेनोक्तं मोहात्तस्य न रोचते || ९४-६-१९
19. yuktam vaakyam = the appropriate words; uktam = spoken; vibhiiShaNena = by Vibhishana; dharmaartha sahitam = conformable to duty and interest; hitam = as also beneficial; sarveShaam rakShasaam = to all the demons; na rochate = were not to the liking; tasya = to him; mohaat = due to ignorance.
"The appropriate advice tendered by Vibhishana which was conformable to duty and interest of Ravana as also beneficial to all the demons, was not to the liking to him, due to his ignorance."
विभीषणवचः कुर्याद्यदि स्म धनदानुजः |
श्मशानभूता दुःखार्ता नेयन् लंका पुरी भवेत् || ९४-६-२०
20. yadi = if; dhanadaanujaH = Ravana; kuryaat sma = followed; vibhiiShaNa vachah = Vibhishana's words; idam laN^kaa = this Lanka; na bhaviShyati = would not have become; shmashaana bhuutaa = a burial ground; duHkhaartaa = visited by sorrow.
"Had Ravana followed Vibhishana's advice, this Lanka would not have become a burial ground, tormented by sorrow."
कुम्भकर्णन् हतं श्रुत्वा राघवेण महाबलम् |
अतिकायं च दुर्मर्षं लक्ष्मणेन हतं तदा || ९४-६-२१
प्रियन् चेन्द्रजितं पुत्रन् रावणो नावबुध्यते |
21. raavaNaH = Ravana; na avabudhyate = is not able to understand; shrutvaa = (even after hearing that); mahaabalam = the mighty; kumbhakarNa = Kumbhakarna; hatam = was killed; tadaa = then; raaghaveNa = by Rama; durmarSham = (and) the unconquerable; atikaayam = huge-bodied; idrajitam = Indrajit; priyam putram = his beloved son; hatam = was killed; lakShmaNena = by Lakshmana.
"Ravana is not able to learn a lesson, even after hearing that the mighty Kumbhakarna was killed by Rama and that unconquerable colossal-bodied Indrajit, his beloved son was killed by Lakshmana."
मम पुत्रो मम भ्राता मम भर्ता रणे हतः || ९४-६-२२
इत्येवन् श्रूयते शब्दो राक्षसानान् कुले कुले |
22. kule kule = in every house; eShaH = this; shabdaH = sound (of weaping); raakShasiinaam = of demonesses; shruuyate = is heard; iti = saying; mama = my; putraH = son; hataH = has been killed; raNe = in battle; mama = my; bhraataa = brother; (has been killed) mama = my bhartaa = husband (has been killed).
"Ravana is not able to learn a lesson, even after hearing that the mighty Kumbhakarna was killed by Rama and that the unconquerable colossal-bodied Indrajit, his beloved son was killed by Lakshmana."
रथाश्चाश्वाश्च नागाश्च हताः शतसहस्रशः || ९४-६-२३
रणे रामेण शूरेण राक्षसाश्च पदातयः |
23. shuureNa raameNa = by the valiant Rama; raNe = in battle; rathaashcha = chariots; ashvaashcha = horses; naagaashcha = elephants; shata sahasrashaH = in hundreds and thousands; hataaH = have been killed; padaatayashchaapi = even foot-soldiers; hataaH = have been killed.
"The valiant Rama killed hundreds and thousands of chariots, horses and elephants in the battle. He killed even the foot soldiers too."
रुद्रो वा यदि वा विष्णुर्महेन्द्रो वा शतक्रतुः || ९४-६-२४
हन्ति नो रामरूपेण यदि वा स्वयमन्तकः |
24. rudrovaa = either Rudra the lord of destruction; yadi vaa = or; viShNuH = Vishnu the lord of preservation; mahendro vaa = or Indra the lord of celestials; shatakratuH = who performed one hundred ritual sacrifices; yadi vaa = or otherwise; antakaH = Yama the lord of Death; svayam = himself; raama rupeNa = in the form of Rama; hanti = is killing; naH = us.
"Rama, coming in the form of either Rudra the lord of destruction or Vishnu, the lord of preservation, or Indra the lord of celestials who performed one hundred ritual sacrifices, or otherwise Yama, the Lord of Death himself, is killing us."
हतप्रवीरा रामेण निराशा जीविते वयम् || ९४-६-२५
अपश्यन्त्यो भयस्यान्तमनाथा विलपामहे |
25. vayam = we; hata praviiraaH = with our great warriors having been killed; raameNa = by Rama; niraashaaH = with loss of hope; jiivite = in our life; apashyantyaH = without seeing; antam = an end; bhayasya = to our fear; anaathaaH = and being helpless; vilaapaamahe = are lamenting.
"As Rama killed all our great warriors, we are lamenting with a loss of hope in our lives, failing to see an end to our fear and having become helpless."
रामहस्ताद्दशग्रीवः शूरो दत्तवरो युधि || ९४-६-२६
इदं भयं महाघोरमुत्पन्नं नावबुध्यते |
26. shuuraH = the valiant; dashargriivaH = Ravana; dattamahaavaraH = having been gifted with great boons; na budhyate = is not able to understand; idam = this; mahaaghoram = greatly terrific; bhayam = calamity; samutpannam = coming forth; raamahastam = from Rama's hand.
"The valiant Ravana, having been gifted with great boons by Brahma, is not able to understand this greatly terrific calamity, coming forth from the hand of Rama."
न देवा न च गन्धर्वा न पिशाचा न राकसाः || ९४-६-२७
उपसृष्टं परित्रातुन् शक्ता रामेण सन्युगे |
27. na devaaH = neither celestials; shaktaaH = are able; traatum = to protect; tam = that Ravana; na = nor; gandharvaaH = Gandharvas the celestial musicians; na pishaachaah = nor the evil spirits; na raakShasaaH = nor the demons; (are able to protect Ravana); upasR^iShTam = who is attacked; raameNa = by Rama; samyuge = in combat.
"Neither the celestials nor Gandharvas the celestial musicians nor the evil spirits nor the demons are able to protect Ravana, who is about to attack Rama in battle."
उत्पाताश्चापि दृश्यन्ते रावणस्य रणे रणे || ९४-६-२८
कथयिष्यन्ति रामेण रावणस्य निबर्हणम् |
28. utpaataashchaapi = even bad portents; dR^ishyante = are being seen; raNe raNe = in every combat; raavaNasya = of Ravana; kathayanti hi = they are indeed telling; nibarhaNam = the annihilation; raavaNasya = of Ravana; raameNa = by Rama.
"Bad omens are appearing for Ravana, as and when his warriors are setting out for each combat. They are indeed telling about the prospective annihilation of Ravana by Rama."
पितामहेन प्रीतेन देवदानवराक्षसैः || ९४-६-२९
रावणस्याभयन् दत्तं मानुषेभ्यो न याचितम् |
29. priitena pitaamahen = by the gratified Brahma; abhayam = a protection; dattam = was given; raavaNasya = to Ravana; deva daanava raakShasaiH = from celestials; demons and ogres; na yaachitam = not sought (protection); manuShyebhyaH = from human beings.
Brahma, the lord of creation, gratified by the austerity of Ravana, gave protection to Ravana from celestials, demons and ogres. But Ravana did not seek protection from human beings."
तदिदं मानुषान्मन्ये प्राप्तं निःसंशयं भयम् || ९४-६-३०
जीवितान्तकरन् घोरन् रक्षसां रावणस्य च |
30. rakShasaan = for the demons; raavaNasya cha = and for Ravana too; tat idam bhayam = such of this calamity; praaptam = has come; maanuSham = from humanity; jiivitaantakaram = which is causing an end to the lives; ghoram = dreadfully; manye = I think; niH samshayam = there is no doubt.
"I think that such a calamity has come from that humanity only dreadfully causing an end to the lives for the demons and for Ravana too. There is no doubt about it."
पीड्यमानास्तु बलिना वरदानेन रक्षसा || ९४-६-३१
दीप्तैस्तपोभिर्विबुधाः पितामहमपूजयन् |
31. vibudhaaH = the celestials; piiDyamaanaaH = tormented; balinaa rakShasaa = by the mighty Ravana; varadaanena = because of the bestowal of a boon on him; apuujayan = worshipped; pitaamaham = Brahma the lord of creation; diiptaiH tapobhiH = with glowing austerities.
"The celestials, tormented by the mighty Ravana, because of the misuse of the boon bestowed on him, worshipped Brahma the lord of creation with their glowing austerities."
देवतानान् हितार्थाय महात्मा वै पितामहः || ९४-६-३२
उवाच देवताः सर्वा इदन् तुष्टो महद्वचः |
32. mahaatmaa = the great-souled; pitaamahaH = Brahma; tuShTaH = duly gratified; hitaarthaya = for the benefit; devataaya = of celestials; uvaacha = spoke; idam = these; mahat = excellent; vachaH = words; sarvaaH devataaH = to all those celestials.
"The great-souled Brahma, duly gratified, spoke for the benefit of those celestials, the following words to them:
अद्य प्रभृति लोकान्स्त्रीन्सर्वे दानवराक्षसाः || ९४-६-३३
भयेन प्रावृता नित्यन् विचरिष्यन्ति शाश्वतम् |
33. aadya prabhR^iti = from today onwards; sarve = all; daanavaraakShasaaH = the ogres and demons; bhayena pravR^itaaH nityam = enveloped with fear forever; vicharinti = will be wandering; shaashvatam = always; triin lokaan = in the three worlds.
"From today onwards, all the ogres and demons, constantly enveloped with fear, will be wandering always in the three worlds."
दैवतैस्तु समागम्य सर्वैश्चेन्द्रपुरोगमैः || ९४-६-३४
वृषध्वजस्त्रिपुरहा महादेवः प्रसादितः |
34. sarvaiH daivataiH = all the celestials; samaagamya = together with; indrapurogamaiH = Indra and others; prasaaditaH = got propitiated; mahaadevaH = by shiva the lord of dissolution; vR^iSha dhvajaH = with the ensign of a bull on his flag-staff; tripurahaa = and who destroyed the three strong cities built of gold; silver andiron in the sky; air and earth for demons.
"All the celestials together with Indra and others, got propitiated by Shiva the lord of destruction, with the ensign of a bull on his flag-staff and who destroyed the three strong cities built of gold, silver and iron in the sky, air and earth for demons."
प्रसन्नस्तु महादेवो देवानेतद्वचोअब्रवीत् || ९४-६-३५
उत्पत्स्यति हितार्थन् वो नारी रक्षःक्षयावहा |
35. prasannaH = the gracious; mahaadevaH = Shiva; abraviit = spoke; etat vachaH = these words; devaan = to the celestials (as follows); naH hitaartham = for your benefit; naarii = a woman; utpatsyati = will be born; rakShaH kShayaavahaa = for causing destruction of the demons.
"The gracious Shiva spoke the following words to the celestials: 'For your benefit, a woman will be born, for causing destruction of the demons.'"
एषा देवैः प्रयुक्ता तु क्षुद्यथा दानवान्पुरा || ९४-६-३६
भक्षयिष्यति नः सीता राक्षसघ्नी सरावणान् |
36. eShaa siitaa = this Seetha; raakShasaghnii = the destroyer of demons; prayuktaa = employed; devaiH = by the celestials; bhakShayiShyati = will consume; naH = us; saraavaNaan = along with Ravana; kShuti yathaa = as hunger (consumed) daanavaan = the demons; puraa = earlier.
"This Seetha, the destroyer of demons, employed by the celestials, will consume us along with Ravana, as in the past hunger consumed the demons."
रावणस्यापनीतेन दुर्विनीतस्य दुर्मतेः || ९४-६-३७
अयं निष्टानको घोरः शोकेन समभिप्लुतः |
37. apaniitena = as a result of the bad behaviour; raavaNasya = of Ravana; durviniitasya = the wicked demon; durmatiH = with a bad disposition of mind; ayam = this; ghoraH = terrific; niShTaanakaH = havoc; (occured); samabhiplutaH = filled; shokena = with grief.
"As a result of the bad behaviour of Ravana, the wicked demon with an evil disposition of mind, this terrific havoc with grief occurred."
तं न पश्यामहे लोके यो नः शरणदो भवेत् || ९४-६-३८
राघवेणोपसृष्टानान् कालेनेव युगक्षये |
38. naH = to us; upasR^iShTaanaam = eclipsed; raaghaveNa = by Rama; kaalena iva = as by Death; upasR^iShTaanaam = eclipsed; yugakShaye = at the time of dissolution of the universe; na pashyaamaha = we do not see; tam = such a person; yaH = who; shaNadaH = can give protection; naH = to us; loke = in this world.
"Rama is occupying us, as the Death occupies at the time of dissolution of the universe. We do not find any one now, who can give protection to us in this world."
नास्ति नः शरणं कश्चिद्भये महति तिष्ठताम् || ९४-६-३९
दावाग्निवेष्ठितानां हि करेणूनां यथा वने |
39. kashchitnaasti = there is no any; sharaNam = refuge; naH = for us; tiShThataam = who stand; mahati = in great; bhaye = calamity; kareNuunaam hi yathaa = as indeed (there is no shelter) for female-elephants; davaagni veShTitaanaam = enveloped by a wild fire; vane = in a forest.
"There is no refuge whatsoever for us, who stand in great danger, as indeed there is no shelter for female-elephants, enveloped by a wild fire in a forest."
प्राप्तकालं कृतं तेन पौलस्त्येन महात्मना || ९४-६-४०
यत एवं भयं दृष्ठं तमेव शरणं गतः |
40. mahaatmanaa tena paulastyena = by that great-souled Vibhishana; praapta kaalam = something opportune; kR^itam = was done; yataH = by whom; evam bhayam = such a peril; dR^iShTam = is perceived; tameva = to him only; sharaNam gataH = he sought refuge.
"The great-souled Vibhishana did something opportune. He sought refuge in him alone from whom such a peril is perceived."
इतीव सर्वा रजनीचरस्त्रियः |
परस्परन् सम्परिरभ्य बाहुभिः |
विनेदुरुच्चैश्च तदा सुदारुणम् || ९४-६-४१
41. tadaa = then; sarvaaH = all; rajaniichara striyaH = the female-demons; samparirabhya = embracing; parasparam = each other; baahubhiH = in their arms; aartaaH = afflicted as they were with excessive fear; viSheduH = lamented; itiiva = in this manner; vinedushcha = and wailed; uchchaiH = loudly; sudaaruNam and very severely.
Then, all female-demons, embracing each other in their arms, afflicted as they were with grief and tormented with excessive fear, lamented thus and wept loudly and severely.
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे चतुर्नवतितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© February 2009, K. M. K. Murthy
ravana and verse
Secure FTPS and FTPS anywhere, FREE Go FTP