As per Ravana's command, his army marches forward to the battle-field, so as to fight fiercely with Rama and his army with their weapon. When the demons attack the monkeys with their various weapons fiercely, they seek refuge in Rama. Rama destroys the troops of demons in the battle-field swiftly.
स प्रविश्य सभान् राजा दीनः परमदुःखितः |
निषसादासने मुख्ये सिन्हः क्रुद्ध इव श्वसन् || ९३-६-१
1. saH raajaa = that king; diinaH = who was dejected; parama duHkhitaH = and very much distressed; sabhaam pravishya = having entered the assembly-hall; niShasaada = sat; mukhya aasane = on his pre-eminent seat; shvasan = snorting; simhaH iva = like a lion.
That king, who was dejected and very much distressed, having entered the ssembly-hall, sat on his pre-eminent seat, snorting like a lion.
अब्रवीच्च तदा सर्वान्बलमुख्यान्महाबलः |
रावणः प्रांजलीन्वाक्यं पुत्रव्यसनकर्शितः || ९३-६-२
2. saH mahaabalaH raavaNaH = that mighty Ravana; putra vyasana karshitaH = who was emaciated with is son's death; praajJNaliH = having joined both his palms in salutation; abraviichcha = spoke; vaakyam = the following words; taan sarvaan = to all those; balamukhyaan = chiefs of his army.
That mighty Ravana, who was emaciated for his son's death, having joined both his palms in salutation, spoke the following words all those chiefs of army:
सर्वे भवन्तः सर्वेण हस्त्यश्वेन समावृताः |
निर्यान्तु रथसंघैश्च पादातैश्चोपशोभिताः || ९३-६-३
3. samaavR^itaaH = surrounded by; sarvaNa = all; hastyashvena = the elephants and horses; upashobhitaaH = as also graced with; ratha samghaishcha = columns of chariots; paadataishcha = and foot-soldiers; sarve bhavantaH = all of you; niryaantu = march forward.
"Surrounded by the entire elephants and horses, as also graced with columns of chariots and foot-soldiers, all of you march forward."
एकन् रामं परिक्षिप्य समरे हन्तुमर्हथ |
प्रहृष्टा शरवर्षेण प्रावृट्काल इवाम्बुदाः || ९३-६-४
4. pariShipya = encircling; raamam = Rama; ekam = alone; arhatha = you ought; hantum = to kill (him); varShantaH = by showering; shara varShaaNi = streams of arrows; ambudaaH iva = even as clouds; (pour showers) praavR^iTkaale = during the rainy season.
"Encircling Rama alone, you have to kill him, by showering streams of arrows upon him, even as clouds pour showers during the rainy season."
अथ वाहन् शरैर्तीष्क्णैर्भिन्नगात्रं महारणे |
भवद्भिः श्वो निहन्तास्मि रामन् लोकस्य पश्यतः || ९३-६-५
5. bhinna gaatram = once his limbs are torn; bharadbhiH = by you; tiiikShNaiH sharaiH = with your sharp arrows; mahaahave = in the great battle; aham = I; nihantaasmi = shall kill; raamam = Rama; lokasya = while the world; pashyaataH = is witnessing it; shvaH = tomorrow.
"Or I shall kill Rama, while the world is witnessing it tomorrow, once his limbs are torn by you with your sharp arrows in the great battle."
इत्येवन् राक्षसेन्द्रस्य वाक्यमादाय राक्षसाः |
निर्ययुस्ते रथैः शीघ्रं नागानीकैश्च सन्वृताः || ९३-६-६
6. aadaaya = having grasped; etat = these; vaakyam = words; raakShasendrasya = of Ravana; te raakShasaaH = those demons; niryayuH = sallied forth; samyutaaH = along with; naanaaniikaishcha = the various kinds of armies; shiighraiH rathaiH = and speedy chariots.
Having heard those words of Ravana, those demons sallied forth for the battle, along with various kinds of armies and speedy chariots.
परिघान् पट्टिशांश्चैव शरखड्गपरश्वधान् |
शरीरान्तकरान् सर्वे चिक्षिपुर्वानरान् प्रति || ९३-६-७
वानराश्च द्रुमान् शैलान् राक्षसान् प्रति चिक्षिपुः |
7. sarve = all those demons; chikShipuH = hurled; parighaan = iron clubs; paTTishaamshchaiva = sharp-edged pikes; sharakhaDga parashvadhaan = arrows; swords and axes; shariiraantakaan = capable of destroying the life; vaanaraashcha = the monkeys too; chikShipaH = hurled; drumaan = trees; shailaan = and mountains; raakShasaan prati = towards the demons.
All those demons hurled iron clubs, sharp-edged spikes, arrows, swords and axes capable of destroying the life. The monkeys too hurled trees and mountains towards the demons.
स संग्रामो महाभीमः सूर्यस्योदयनं प्रति || ९३-६-८
रक्षसान् वानराणान् च तुमुलः समपद्यत |
8. suuryasya udayanam prati = towards sun-rise; saH mahaabhiimaH = that very terrific; samgraamaH = battle; samapadyata = became; tumulaH = tumultuous; rakShasaam vaanaraaNaam cha = between demons and monkeys.
Towards sun-rise, that very terrific battle became tumultuous between demons and monkeys.
ते गदाभिर्विचित्राभिः प्रासैः खड्गैः परश्वधैः || ९३-६-९
अन्योन्यन् समरे जघ्नुस्तदा वानरराक्षसाः |
9. te = those; vaanara raakShasaaH = monkeys and demons; tadaa = then; jaghnuH = struck; anyonyam = each other; chitraabhiH = with multi-coloured; gadaabhiH = maces; praasaiH = darts; khaDgaiH = swords; parashvadhaiH = and axes; samare = in the battle.
Those monkeys and demons then began to strike each other with multi-coloured maces, darts, swords and axes in the battle.
एवं प्रवृते संग्रामे ह्यदुभुतं सुमहद्रजः || ९३-६-१०
रक्षसां वानराणां च शान्तं शोणितविस्रवैः |
10. samgraame evam pravR^itte = while the battle was thus in progress; adbhutam = surprisingly; sumahat = enormous; rajaH = dust; shaantam = was actually settled down; shoNita visravaiH = by the streams of blood; rakShasaam vaanaraamcha = proceeding from the demons and monkeys.
While the battle was thus in progress, the surprisingly enormous dust was actually settled down by the streams of blood, proceeding from the demons and mokeys.
मातंगरथकूलस्य वाजिमत्स्या ध्वजद्रुमाः || ९३-६-११
शरीरसंघाटवहाः प्रसस्रुः शोणितापगाः |
11. shoNitaapagaaH = rivers of blood; maataN^garatha kuulaaH = with elephants and chariots as their river-banks; vaajimatsyaaH = with horses as their fish; dhvajadrumaaH = with flag-staffs as trees; prasasruH = gushed forth; shariira samghaaTavahaaH = carrying dead bodies as logs of wood.
With elephants and chariots as their river-banks, with horses as their fish and with flag-staffs as trees, rivers of blood gushed forth, carrying dead
ततस्ते वानराः सर्वे शोणितौघपरिप्लुताः || ९३-६-१२
ध्वजवर्मरथानश्वान्नानाप्रहरणानि च |
आप्लुत्याप्लुत्य समरे वानरेन्द्रा बभंजिरे || ९३-६-१३
12; 13. tataH = then; sarve = all; te = those; vaanaraaH = monkeys; shoNitangha pariplutaaH = were drenched with streams of blood; aaplutya aaplutya = leaping and bouncing; samare = on the battle-field; vaanarendraaH = the monkey-chiefs; babhaN^jare = broke off; dhvaja varma rathaan = flag = staff; srmours; chariots; ashvaan = horses; naanaapraharaaNicha = and various kinds of weapons.
Then, all those monkeys were drenched in streams of blood. Leaping and bouncing on the battle-field, the monkey-chiefs broke off flag-staffs, armours, chariots, horses and various kinds of weapons.
केशान्कर्णललाटांश्च नासिकाश्च प्लवंगमाः |
रक्षसान् दशनैस्तीक्ष्णैर्नखैश्चापि व्यकर्तयन् || ९३-६-१४
14. plavangamaaH = the monkeys; tiikShaNaiH dashanaiH = with their sharp teeth; nakhaishchaapi = and even nails; vyakartayan = tore off; keshaan = the hair; karNa lalaaTaamshcha = ears eye-brows; naasikaashchaapi = and noses; rakShasaan = of demons.
With their sharp teeth and nails, the monkeys tore off the hair, ears, eye-brows and noses of the demons.
एकैकन् राक्षसं संख्ये शतं वानरपुंगवाः |
अभ्यधावन्त फलिनन् वृक्षं शकुनयो यथा || ९३-६-१५
15. shatam = A hundred; vaanara pungavaaH = monkey-chiefs; abhyadhaavanta = rushed towards; ekaikam = each single; raakShasam = demon; samkhye = in battle; shakunayo yathaa = even as birds; (would rush towards); vR^ikSham = a tree; phalinam = laden with fruits.
A hundred monkey-chiefs rushed towards each single demon in the battle, even as birds would rush towards a tree laden with fruits.
तथा गदाभिर्गुर्वीभिः प्रासैः खड्गैः परश्वधैः |
निर्जघ्नुर्वानरान्घोरान्राक्षसाः पर्वतोपमाः || ९३-६-१६
16. tadaa = then; raakShasaaH = the demons; parvatopamaaH = resembling mountains in size; nirjaghnuH = struck down; ghoraan = the terrific; vaanaraan = monkeys; gurviibhiH gadaabhiH = with large maces; praasaiH = darts; khaDgaiH = swords; parashvadhaiH = and axes.
Then, the demons resembling mountain in size, struck down the terrific monkeys with large maces, darts, swords and axes.
राक्षसैर्वध्यमानानान् वानराणां महाचमूः |
शरण्यन् शरणं याता रामन् दशरथात्मजम् || ९३-६-१७
17. mahaachamuuH = the huge army of monkeys; vadhyamaanaanaam = being struck down; raakShasaiH = by the demons; yaataa = sought; sharaNam = refuge; raamam = in Rama; dasharathaatmajam = the son of Dasaratha; sharaNyam = who affords protection.
The huge army of monkeys, being struck down by the demons, sought refuge in Rama, the son of Dasaratha, who affords protection.
ततो रामो महातेजा धनुरादाय वीर्यवान् |
प्रविश्य राक्षसन् सैन्यं शरवर्षं ववर्ष ह || ९३-६-१८
18. tataH = thereupon; raamaH = Rama; mahaatejaaH = of great splendour; viiryavaan = and prowess; aadaaya = taking up; dhanuH = his bow; pravishya = and entering; sainyam = the army; raakShasam = of demons; vavarShaha = streamed forth; shara varSham = showers of arrows.
Thereupon, Rama of great splendour and prowess, taking up his bow and entering the army of demons, streamed forth showers of arrows.
प्रविष्टन् तु तदा रामं मेघाः सूर्यमिवाम्बरे |
नाभिजग्मुर्महाघोरं निर्दहन्तन् शराग्निना || ९३-६-१९
19. mahaaghoraaH = the highly terrific demons; naadhijagmuH = dared not approach; raamam = Rama; praviShTam tu = having entered their ranks; nirdahantam = was scarching them; sharaagninaa = with the flame of his arrows; meghaaH iva = even as clouds; suuryam = (would not approach) the sun; ambare = in the sky.
Those highly terrific demons dared not approach Rama, having entered their ranks, was scorching them with the flame of his arrows, even as clouds would not approach the scorching sun in the sky.
कृतान्येव सुघोराणि रामेण रजनीचराः |
रणे रामस्य ददृशुः कर्माण्यसुकराणि च || ९३-६-२०
20. te = those; rajaniicharaaH = demons; dadR^ishuH = saw; raamasya = Rama's karmaNyeva = deeds only; sughoraaNi = which were the most terrible; kR^itaani = destruction; raameNa = by Rama; raNe = in the battle field; asukaraaNi kR^itaani = which were difficult to perform for others.
Those demons saw the most terrible deeds only of Rama, when they were actually performed by him in the battle-field, which were difficult to perform for others.
चालयन्तं महानीकन् विधमन्तं महारथान् |
ददृशुस्ते न वै रामन् वातं वनगतं यथा || ९३-६-२१
21. te = those demons; na dadR^ishaH = could not actually see; raamam = Rama; chaalayantam = while he was shaking; mahaa sainyam = their huge army; vidhamantam = and blowing away; mahaarathaan = great chariots; vaatam yathaa = any more than a gale of wind; vanagatam = in a forest.
Those demons could not actually see Rama, whle he was shaking their huge army and blowing away their great chariots, any more than one could see a gale of wind in a forest.
छिन्नं भिन्नन् शरैर्दग्धं प्रभग्नं शस्त्रपीडितम् |
बलन् रामेण ददृशुर्न रमं शीघ्रकारिणम् || ९३-६-२२
22. dadR^ishaH = (They) saw; balam = the army; chhinnam = torn; bhinnam = and pierced; sharaiH = with arrows; dagdham = scorched; prabhinnam = broken down; shastra piiDitam = and tormented with missiles; (They) na = could not (see); raamam = Rama; shiighra kaariNam = who was doing hs martial operations swiftly.
They saw the army torn and pierced with arrows, as also scorched, broken down and tormented with missiles. They could not see Rama, who was so swift in his martial art.
प्रहरन्तन् शरीरेषु न ते पश्यन्ति राभवम् |
इन्द्रियार्थेषु तिष्ठन्तं भूतात्मानमिव प्रजाः || ९३-६-२३
23. te = they; na pashyanti = could not behold; raaghavam = Rama; praharantam = hitting; shariireShu = their bodies; prajaaH iva = even as created being; (are not able to see); bhuutaatmaanam = their individual souls; tiShThantam = residing; indriyaartheShu = in the objects of their senses.
The demons could not behold Rama hitting their bodies, even as created beings are not able to see their individual souls resting in their sense-objects.
एष हन्ति गजानीकमेष हन्ति महारथान् |
एष हन्ति शरैस्तीक्ष्णैः पदातीन्वाजिभिः सह || ९३-६-२४
इति ते राक्षसाः सर्वे रामस्य सदृशान्रणे |
अन्योन्यकुपिता जघ्नुः सादृश्याद्राघवस्य तु || ९३-६-२५
24; 25. eShaH = "Here is; (Rama; hanti = killing; gajaaniikam = the army of elephants; eShaH = here is Rama; hanti = destroying; mahaarathaan = great chariot-warriors; eShaH = here is Rama; hanti = killing; padaatiin = foot-soldiers; vaajibhiH saha = along with horses; tiikShNaiH sharaiH = with sharp arrows:" iti = saying so; sare te raakShasaaH = all those demons; jaghnuH = struck; anyonyam = one another; kupitaaH = with anger; raNe = in the batlle-field; sadR^ishaan = who were in similarity; raamasya = of Rama; saadR^ishyaat = because of their resemblance with Rama.
"Here is Rama, killing the army of elephants. Here is Rama, destroying great chariot-warriors. Here is Rama, killing foot-soldiers along with horses with his sharp arrows". Saying so, all those demons struck one another with rage in the battle-field those who were in similarity of appearance to Rama.
स ते ददृशिरे रामन् दहन्तमरिवाहिनीम् |
मोहिताः परमास्त्रेण गान्धर्वेण महात्मना || ९३-६-२६
26. mohitaaH = having been thrown into confusion; gandharveNa paramastreNa = by the great Gandharva missile; mahaatmanaa = employed by the great souled Rama; te = those demons; na dadR^ishire = were not able to see; raama = Rama; dhantamapi = even when he was scorching; vaahiniim = their army.
Having been thrown into confusion by the great mystic missile presided over by the Gandharvas, the celestial musicians; presided over by the Gandharvas, the celestial musicians; those demons were unable to see Rama, even when he was scorching away their army.
ते तु राम सहस्राणि रणे पश्यन्ति राक्षसाः |
पुनः पश्यन्ति काकुत्स्थमेकमेव महात्मना || ९३-६-२७
27. raNe = In the battle; te raakShasaaH tu = those demons for their part; pashyanti = saw; raamasahasraaNi = thousands of Ramas; mahaavahe = in the great battle; pashchanti (they) saw; punaH = again; ekam eva = only one; kaakutstham = Rama.
Those demons for their part saw thousands of Rama's in the battle-field, while at other times, they saw only one Rama in that great battle.
भ्रमन्तीन् कांचनीं कोटिं कार्मुकस्य महात्मनः |
अलातचक्रप्रतिमान् ददृशुस्ते न राघवम् || ९३-६-२८
28. te = those demons; dadR^ishuH = saw; raama sahasraaNi = thousands of Ramas; mahaavahe = in the great battle; pashchanti = (they) saw; punaH = again; ekam eva = only one; kaakutstham = Rama.
Those demons for their part saw thousands of Ramas in the battle-field; while at other times, they saw only one Rama in that great battle.
शरीरनाभिसत्त्वार्चिः शरारं नेमिकार्मुकम् |
ज्याघोषतलनिर्घोषन् तेजोबुद्धिगुणप्रभम् || ९३-६-२९
दिव्यास्त्रगुणपर्यन्तं निघ्नन्तन् युधि राक्षसान् |
ददृशू रामचक्रन् तत्कालचक्रमिव प्रजाः || ९३-६-३०
29; 30. prajaaH = the created beings; dadR^ishuH = saw; raama chakram = that Rama in the form of a discus; nighnantam = which was killing; raakShasaan = the demons; yuddhi = on the battle-field; kaalachakram iva = like the "Wheel of Time"; shariira naabhi = which had the body for its navel; sattvaarchiH = his strength for its flame; sharaaram = the arrows for its spokes; nenikaarmukam = his bow for the felly of the wheel; jyaaghoShatalanirghoSham = the twanging of the bow-string and the clanging of the gauntlet for the sound produced by its revolution; tejobuddhiguNa prabham = his energy; intelligence and other virtues for its radiance; divyaastraguNa paryantam = and the power of his mystic missiles for its edge.
The created beings saw that Rama in the form of a discus, which was killing the demons on the battle-field, like the "Wheel of Time", for its flame, the arrows for its spokes, his bow for the felly of the wheel, the twanging of the bow-string and the clanging of the gauntlet for the sound produced for its revolution, his energy and the virtues for its radiance and the power of his mystic missiles for its edge.
अनीकन् दशसाहस्रन् रथानां वातरन्हसाम् |
अष्टादशसहस्राणि कुंजराणान् तरस्विनाम् || ९३-६-३१
चतुर्दशसहस्राणि सारोहाणान् च वाजिनाम् |
पूर्णे शतसहस्रे द्वे राक्षसानां पदातिनाम् || ९३-६-३२
दिवसस्याष्टमे भागे शरैरग्निशिखोपमैः |
हतान्येकेन रामेण रक्षसान् कामरूपिणाम् || ९३-६-३३
30; 31; 32. enema raameNa = by Rama single-handed; divasasya aShTa bhaagena = within a matter of three hours (one eighth of a day); tiikShNaiH sharaiH = with his arrows; agnishikhopamaiH = looking like flames; hataani = were killed; raakShasaam aniikam = an army of demns; kaama ruupiNaam = capable of changing their form at will; dashasahasraaM rathaanaaM = including ten thousand chariots; vaataramhasaam = possessing the swiftness of the wind; aShTaadasha tarasvinaam kuN^jaraaNaam eighteen thousand strong elephants; chaturdasha sahasraaNi = fourteen thousand; vaajinaam = horses; saarohaaNaam = with their rides; puurNe dve shata sahasre = a full two laces; demons fighting on foot.
Within a matter of three hours, with his arrows looking like tongues of flames, Rama killed an army of demons, capable of changing their form at will, including ten thousands chariots possessing the swiftness of the wind, eighteen thousand strong elephants, fourteen thousand horses with their riders and a full two lacs of demons fighting on foot.
ते हताश्वा हतरथाः श्रान्ता विमथितध्वजाः |
अभिपेतुः पुरीन् लंकां हतशेषा निशाचराः || ९३-६-३४
34. te hataseShaaH nishaacharaaH = those surviving demons; hataashvaaH = with their horses killed; hata rathaaH = with chariots destroyed; shaantaaH = with slackness in spirit; vimathitadhvajaaH = with their flag-staffs broken; abhipetuh = rushed back towards; laN^kaam puriim = the city of Lanka.
Those surviving demons, with their horses killed, with their chariots destroyed, with thier flag-staffs broken and with broken spirits, rushed back towards the City of Lanka.
हतैर्गजपदात्यश्वैस्तद्बभूव रणाजिरम् |
आक्रीडभूमी क्रुद्रस्य रुद्रस्येव महात्मनः || ९३-६-३५
35. tat = that; raNaajiram = battle-field; gaja padaatyashvaiH = with elephants; foot-soldiers and horses; hataiH = killed; babhuuva = became; aakriiDabhuumiH iva = like a pleasure-grave; mahaatmanaH kruddhasya rudrasya = of the powerful and the enraged Rudra the lord of destruction.
That battle-field, with elephants, foot-soldiers and horses killed, looked like a pleasure-grave of the powerful and the enraged the lord of destruction.
ततो देवाः सगन्धर्वाः सिद्धाश्च परमर्षयः |
साधु साध्विति रामस्य तत्कर्म समपूजयन् || ९३-६-३६
36. tataH = then; devaaH = the celestials; sagandharvaaH = along with Gandharvas the celestial musicians; siddhaashcha = holy saints; paramarShayaH = and great sages; samapuujayan = acclaimend; tat karma = that feat; raamasya = of Rama = saadhu saadhu iti = saying; "well done; well done!"
Then, the celestials along with Gandharvas the celestial musicians, holy saints and great sages acclaimed that feat of Rama, saying "well done, well done!".
अब्रवीच्च तदा रामः सुग्रीवं प्रत्यनन्तरम् |
विभीषणं च धर्मात्मा हनूमन्तं च वानरम् || ९३-६-३७
जाम्बवन्तं हरिश्रेष्ठं मैन्दं द्विविदमेव च |
एतदस्त्रबलन् दिव्यं मम वा त्र्यम्बकस्य वा || ९३-६-३८
37; 38. tadaa = then; dharmaatmaa raamaH = the virtuous Rama; abraviit cha = spoke also; sugriivam = to Sugreeva; vibhiiShaNam cha = Vibhishana; hanuumantam cha = Hanuma; vaanaram = the monkey; jaambavantam = Jambavan; maindam = Mainda; harishreShTham = the foremost of monkeys; dvividameva cha = and even Dvivida; pratyanantaram = who were in close presence to him; (as follows); etat = this; divyam = wonderful; astrabalam = power of the missile; tryambakaasya = is with either the three-eyed Rudra the lord of destruction; mama vaa = or with me only.
Then, the virtuous Rama spoke also to Sugreeva, Vibhishana, Hanuma the monkey, Jambavan, Mainda the foremost of monkeys and even Dvivida, who were in close proximity to him as follows "Such wonderful power of this missile exists either with me or with the three-eyed Rudra the lord of destruction."
निहत्य तान् राक्षसवाहिनीन् तु |
रामस्तदा शक्रसमो महात्मा |
अस्त्रेषु शस्त्रेषु जितक्लमश् च |
सन्स्तूयते देवगणैः प्रहृष्टैः || ९३-६-३९
39. tadaa = then; raamaH = Rama; shakra samaH = equal to Indra the lord of celestials; mahaat maa = the great souled; jitaklamaH cha = unwearied in the use; astreShu = of weapons; shastreShu = and missiles; nihatya = having destroyed; taam = that; raakShasa vaaliniim = army of demons; samstuuyate = was applauded; prahR^iShTaiH devagaNaiH = by the rejoiced troops of celestials.
Rama, a compeer of Indra the lord of celestials, the great souled, unwearied in the use of weapons and missiles, having destroyed that army of demons, was applauded by the rejoiced troops of celestials.
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे त्रिनवतितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© February 2009, K. M. K. Murthy