Ravana feels distressed in hearing the news of his son's death. He gets enraged and after deeply pondering over, decides to kill Seetha, who was the root of all this trouble. Ravana with a sword in his hand, sallies forth towards Ashoka garden to make a short work of Seetha. Seetha observes Ravana rushing towards her and laments that after killing Rama and Lakshmana, he is coming to her place to kill her. Beholding the lamentation of Seetha, Suparshva, a good and upright minister of Ravana advises Ravana to desist from that dastardly act and to divert his anger towards Rama in battle. Ravana accepts the advice of his minister and returns to his assembly-hall.
ततः पौलस्त्य सचिवाः श्रुत्वा चेन्द्रजितं हतम् |
आचचक्षुरभिज्ञाय दशग्रीवाय सव्यथाः || ९२-६-१
1. shrutvaa = hearing; indrajitaH vadham = of Indrajit's killing; paulastya sachivaaH = Ravana's counsellors; tataH = then; satvaraaH = hurriedly; abhijJNaaya = ascertained the news; aachachakShuH = reported the matter; dashagrivaaya = to Ravana.
Hearing of Indrajit's killing and having ascertained the news, Ravana's counsellors reported the matter hurriedly to Ravana.
युद्धे हतो महाराज लक्ष्मणेन तवात्मजः |
विभीषणसहायेन मिषतां नो महाद्युते || ९२-६-२
2. mahaaraaja = O monarch!; tava = your; mahaadyutiH = great majestic; aatmajaH = son; hataH = has been killed; lakShmaNena = by Lakshmana; vibhiiShaNa sahaayena = with the help of Vibhishana; naH niShataam = while we were witnessing the same; yuddhe = in the battle-field.
"O monarch! Your great majestic son has been killed by Lakshmana with the help of Vibhishana, while we were witnessing the event in the battle-field."
शूरः शूरेण संगम्य संयुगेष्वपराजितः |
लक्ष्णनेन हतः शूरः पुत्रस्ते विबुधेन्द्रजित् || ९२-६-३
गतः स परमान् लोकान् शरैः संताप्य् लक्ष्मणम् |
3. te shuuraH putraH = your valiant son; aparaajitaH = who was unbeatable; samyugeShu = in combats; shuuraH = that hero; vibudhendrajit = who conquered Indra the lord of celestials; samgamya = having collided; shureNa lakShmaNena = with valiant Lakshmana; hataH = has been killed; samtaapya = tormenting; lakShmaNam = Lakshmana; sharaiH = with his arrows; saH = Indrajit; gataH = departed; paramaan lokaan = to the highest world.
"Your valiant son, who was unbeatable in combats and that hero who conquered Indra the lord of celestials, having collided with valiant Lakshmana, has been killed. Having tormented Lakshmana with his arrows, Indrajit departed to the highest world."
स तं प्रतिभयं श्रुत्वा वधं पुत्रस्य दारुणम् || ९२-६-४
घोरमिन्द्रजितः सङ्ख्ये कश्मलं प्राविशन्महत् |
4. shrutvaa = hearing; tam = that; (news of); pratibhayam = formidable; daaruNam = harsh; ghoram = and indrajitaH = of his son; Indrajit; samkhye = in battle; saH = Ravana; praavishat = gave way; mahat kashmalam = to a protracted swoon.
Hearing that news of formidable, harsh and terrific death of Indrajit his son in battle, Ravana gave way to a protracted swoon.
उपलभ्य चिरात्संज्ञां राजा राक्षसपुङ्गवः || ९२-६-५
पुत्रशोकाकुलो दीनो विललापाकुलेन्द्रियः |
5. upalabhya = regaining; samjJNaam = his consciousness; chiraat = after a long time; raajaa = the king; raakShasapungavaH = Ravana; vilalaapa = lamented; putrashokaakulaH = confounded as he was with sorrow of his son's death; diinaH = became depressed; aakulendriyaH = and confused in mind.
Regaining his consciousness after a long time, the king Ravana, confounded as he was with sorrow on account of his son's death and with his mind confused, lamented as follows depressed as he was.
हा राक्षसचमूमुख्य मम वत्स महारथ || ९२-६-६
जित्वेन्द्रं कथमद्य त्वं लक्ष्मणस्य वशं गतः |
6. haa = alas!; raakShasachamuumukhya = O chief of the army of demons!; mama vatsa = O my child!; mahaabala = O the mighty one!; katham = how; tvam = were you; jitvaa = who; having conquered; indram = Indra; adya = now; lakShmaNasya vasham gataH = subjected to the will of Lakshmana?
"Alas! My child, the chief of the army of demons, having extraordinary might! Having conquered Indra, how have you been subjected to the power of Lakshmana now?"
ननु त्वमिषुभिः क्रुद्धो भिन्द्याः कालान्तकावपि || ९२-६-७
मन्दरस्यापि शृङ्गाणि किं पुनर्लक्ष्मणं रणे |
7. nana = certainly; kruddhaH = when enraged; tvam bhindyaa = you would pierce; iSubhiH = with your arrows; yudhi = in battle; kaalaantakau api = even the all-destroying time in the form of Yama the lord of Death; shR^iNyapi = even the peaks; mandarasya = of Mount Mandara; lakShmaNam kim punaH = what to tell about Lakshmana?
"Certainly, when enraged, you would pierce with your arrows in battle, even the all-destroying time in the form of Yama the Lord of Death and even the peaks of Mount Mandara. What to tell about Lakshmana?"
अद्य वैवस्वतो राजा भूयो बहुमतो मम || ९२-६-८
येनाद्य त्वं महाबाहो संयुक्तः कालधर्मणा |
8. mahaabaaho = O the long armed one! bhuuyaH bahumataH = highly esteemed mama = to me; raajaa = is king Yama; vaivasvataH = son of sun-god; yena = by whom; tvam = you; samyuktaH = have been subjected to; kaaladharmaNaa = the ravages of time; adya = today.
"O the long armed one! Highly esteemed to me is the king Yama, son of sun-god, by whom you have been subjected to the ravages of time today."
एष पन्थाः सुयोधानां सर्वामरगणेष्वपि || ९२-६-९
यः कृते हन्यते भर्तुः स पुमान् स्वर्गमृच्छति |
9. eShaH = this; panthaaH = is the path; snyodhaanaam = for great warriors; sarvaamaragaNeShvapi = even among all the celestial hosts; saH pumaan = that male offspring; hanyate = who is killed; bhartuH kR^ite = for the cause of his lord; R^ichchhati = obtains; svargam = heaven.
"This is the path for great warriors even among all the celestial hosts. That male offspring who is killed for the cause of his lord, obtains heaven."
अद्य देवगणाः सर्वे लोकपालास्तथर्षयः || ९२-६-१०
हतमिन्द्रजितं दृष्ट्वा सुखं स्वप्स्यन्ति निर्भयाः |
10. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; indrajitam = Indrajit; hatam = having been killed; samasta = all; devagaNaaH = the hosts of celestials; lokapaalaaH = the guardians of the world; maharShayaH = the great sages; adya = can now; svapsyanti = sleep; adya = can now; sukham = comfortably; nirbhayaaH = and peacefully.
"Seeing Indrajit having been killed, all the hosts of celestials, the guardians of the world and the great sages now can sleep comfortably and peacefully."
अद्य लोकास्त्रयः कृत्स्नाः पृथिवी च सकानना || ९२-६-११
एकेनेन्द्रजिता हीना शूण्येव प्रतिभाति मे |
11. hiinaa = bereft; indrajitaa = of Indrajit; ekena = alone; kR^itsnaa = the entire; pR^ithivii = earth; sakaananaa = with its forests; pratibhaati = appear; shuunyena = to be wholly alone; me = to me; trayaH lokaaH = may; even the three worlds!
"Bereft of Indrajit alone, the entire earth with its forest appear to be wholly alone to me. Nay, even the three worlds!"
अद्य नैरृतकन्यायां श्रोष्याम्यन्तःपुरे रवम् || ९२-६-१२
करेणुसङ्घस्य यथा निनादं गिरिगह्वरे |
12. adya = now; shruShyaami = I shall hear; ravam = the hue and cry; nairR^ita antaHpuram = in the gynaecium; ninaadam yathaa = even as one would hear the roar; kareNu samghasya = of a troop of female-elephants; girigahvare = in a mountain cave.
"Now, I shall hear the hue and cry of the demon-maidens in the gynaecium, even as one would hear the roar of a troop of female-elephants in a mountain cave."
यौवराज्यं च लङ्कां च रक्षांसि च परन्तप || ९२-६-१३
मातरं मां च भार्यां च क्व गतोऽसि विहाय नः |
13. paramtapa = O destroyer of enemies! kva = where; gataH api = did you go; vihaaya = leaving; yauva raajyam cha = your right of succession to our kingdom; laN^kaamcha = Lanka; rakShaamsi cha = the demons; maataram = your mother; maamcha = myself; bhaaryaamcha = your wives; naH = and all of us.
"O destroyer of enemies! Where did you go leaving the rank of Prince Regent as also Lanka, the demons, your mother and myself, your wives and all of us."
मम नाम त्वया वीर गतस्य यमसादनम् || ९२-६-१४
प्रेतकार्याणि कार्याणि विपरीते हि वर्तसे |
14. viira = O hero!; preta kaaryaaNi maama = the obsequial; rights in my honour; ma magatasya yamasaadanam = consequent upon my death; kaaryaaNi = are to be done; tvayaa = by you; vipariite vartase hi = you are indeed in a reverse path.
"O hero! The obsequies rights in my honour ought to have been done by you, consequent upon my death in future. You are, however, following a reverse path."
स त्वं जीवति सुग्रीवे लक्ष्मणे च राघवे || ९२-६-१५
मम शल्यमनुद्धृत्य क्व गतोऽसि विहाय नः |
15. sugriive = while Sugreeva; lakShmaNena = Lakshmana; raaghave = and Rama; jiivate = are still alive; saH tvam = you as such; annddhR^itya = without taking away; mama shalyam = my tormentation; kva = where; gataH = have you gone; vihaaya = deserting; naH = us?
"Deserting us without taking away my tormentation, while Sugreeva, lakshmana and Rama are still alive, where have you gone?"
एवमादिविलापार्तं रावणं राक्षसाधिपम् || ९२-६-१६
आविवेश महान्कोपः पुत्रव्यसनसम्भवः |
16. mahaan = a huge; kopaH = rage; aavivesha = enveloped; raavaNam = Ravana; raakShasaadhipam = the king of demons; putravyasana sambhavaH = born of his son's death; evamaadivilaapaartam = while he was feeling distressed through grief as aforesaid.
A huge rage enveloped Ravana, the king of demons, born of his son's death, while he was feeling distressed through grief as aforesaid.
प्रकृत्या कोपनं ह्येनं पुत्रस्य पुनराधयः || ९२-६-१७
दीप्तं संदीपयामासुर्घर्मेऽर्कमिव रश्मयः |
17. aathayaH = the anguishes; putrasya = of his son's death; samdiipayaamaasuH = flared up; punaH = further; evam = for him; prakR^ityaa = who by nature; kopanam = was wrathful; rashmayaH iva = as rays of the sun; (flare up) diiptam arkam = the blazing sun; gharme = in summer.
The anguishes occasioned by the death of his son, flared up further for him, who by his very nature, was wrathful, as rays of the sun flare up the blazing sun in summer.
ललाटे भुकुटीभिश्च संगताभिर्व्यरोचत || ९२-६-१८
यगान्ते सहनक्त्रस्तु महोर्मिभिरिवोदधिः |
18. vyarochata = he shone; udadhiH iva = like an ocean; mahormiH = with giant waves; sahanakraiH = and crocodiles; yugaanti = at the time of dissolution of the world; bhrukuTiibhiH = with his eye-brows; samgataabhiH = joined together; lalaaTe = on his forehead.
With his eye brows joined together on his forehead, he shone brightly like an ocean, at the time of the dissolution of the world, with crocodiles and giant waves.
कोपाद्विजृम्भमाणस्य वक्त्रद्व्यक्तमिव ज्वलन् || ९२-६-१९
उत्पपात सधूमाग्निर्वृत्रस्य वदनादिव |
19. vijR^imbhamaaNasya = while he was yawning; kopaat = with anger; sadhuumaagniH = a fire with smoke; utpapaata = broke out; iva = as through; vyaktam = clearly; jvalan = burning; vaktraat = from his mouth; vadanaadiva = as it did from the month; vR^itrasya = of Vritra (in the former days).
While he was yawning with anger; a fire with smoke, as though clearly burning, broke out from his mouth, as it did from the month of Vritra (in the former days).
स पुत्रवधसंतप्तः शूरः क्रोधवशं गतः || ९२-६-२०
समीक्ष्य रावणो बुद्ध्या वैदेह्या रोचयद्वधम् |
20. saH = that; shuuraH = valiant; raavaNaH = Ravana; putra vadha samtaptaH = afflicted with the grief of his son's killing; krodhavasham gataH = got wrapped up in wrath; samiikShya buddhyaa = pondering with his mind; rochayat = craved; vadham = for the killing; vaidehyaaH = of Seetha.
Afflicted with the grief of his son's killing, that valiant Ravana got wrapped up in wrath and pondering with his mind, craved for the killing of Seetha.
तस्य प्रकृत्या रक्ते च रक्ते क्रोधाग्निनापि च || ९२-६-२१
रावणस्य महाघोरे दीप्ते नेत्रे बभूवतुः |
21. mahaaghore = the dreadful; netre = eyes; rakte = which were red in colour; prakR^itye = by their nature; rakte = and red; krodhaagninaapi = even by the fire of wrath; tasya raavaNasya = of that Ravana; babhuuvatuH = were found; kiipte = to be glittering.
The dreadful eyes of that Ravana, which were red in colour by their very nature and were red even by the fire of his wrath, looked glittering.
घोरं प्रकृत्या रूपं तत्तस्य क्रोधाग्निमूर्छितम् || ९२-६-२२
बभूव रूपं रुद्रस्य क्रुद्धस्येव दुरासदम् |
22. tat prakR^ityaa ghoram ruupam = that naturally terrific form; tasya = of his; krodhaagni muurchhitam = filled with the fire of his wrath; babhuuva = became; duraasadam = difficult to be approached; kruddhasya rudrasya iva = like the form of enraged Rudra the god of destruction.
That naturally terrific form of Ravana, filled with the fire of his wrath, became difficult to be approached, like the form of enraged Rudra the god of destruction.
तस्य क्रुद्धस्य नेत्राभ्यां प्रापतन्नस्रबिन्दवः || ९२-६-२३
दीप्ताभ्यामिव दीपाभ्यां सार्चिषः स्नेहबिन्दवः |
23. ashru bindavaH = drops of tears; praapatan = fell down; tasya kruddhasya netraabhyaam = from his enraged eyes; snehabindavaH = as drops of oil; saarchiShaH = with flames; (fall down); diiptaabhyaam = from blazing; diipaabhyaam = lamps.
Drops of tears fell down from his enraged eyes, as drops of oil with flames fall down from blazing lamps.
दन्तान्विदशतस्तस्य श्रूयते दशनस्वनः || ९२-६-२४
यन्त्रस्यावेष्ट्यमानस्य महतो दानवैरिव |
24. tasya dashanasvanaH = the sound of his teeth; vidashataH dantaan = produced from the friction of his teeth as he ground them; shruuyate = like the noise of a large machine; aakR^iShyamaaNasya = being dragged; daanavaiH = by demons.
The sound of his teeth, produced from the friction of his teeth as he ground them, were heard like the noise of a large machine being bragged by the demons.
कालाग्निरिव संक्रुद्धो यां यां दिशमवैक्षत || ९२-६-२५
तस्यां तस्यां भयत्रस्ता राक्षसाः संनिलिल्यिरे |
25. bhayatrastaaH = trembling with fear; raakShasaaH = the demons; samvililyire = hid themselves; yaam yaam disham = in whichever quarter; avaikShata = to which he directed his look; samkruddhaH = enraged as he was; kaalaagniriva = like the fire of universal dissolution.
Trembling with fear, the demons hid themselves, in whichever quarter to which he directed his look, enraged as he was, like the fire of universal dissolution.
तमन्तकमिव क्रुद्धं चराचरचिखादिषुम् || ९२-६-२६
वीक्षमाणं दिशः सर्वा राक्षसा नोपचक्रमुः |
26. raakShasaaH = Demons; nopachakramuH = could not go towards; tam = Ravana; viikShamaaNam = who was looking at; sarvaaH = all (the four); dishah = quarters; kruddham antakamiva = like the enraged Yama the god of Death; charaachara chikhaadiShum = who wants to devour mobile and immobile creatures.
Demons could not go towards Ravana, who was looking at all the four quarters, like the enraged Yama the god of Death, who wants to devour both the mobile and the immobile creatures.
ततः परमसंक्रुद्धो रावणो राक्षसाधिपः || ९२-६-२७
अब्रवीद्रक्षसां मध्ये संस्तम्भयिषुराहवे |
27. samstabhayiShuH = desirous of posting; rakShasaam = the demons; aahave = to the field of battle; raavaNaH = Ravana; raakShasaadhipaH = the king of demons; parama samkruddhaH = who was very much enraged; tataH = then; abraviit = spoke (as follows); madhye = in their midst.
Desirous of posting the demons to the battle-field, Ravana the king of demons, who was very much enraged, then spoke as follows, in their midst:
मया वर्षसहस्राणि चरित्वा परमं तपः || ९२-६-२८
तेषु तेष्ववकाशेषु स्वयम्भूः परितोषितः |
28. svayambhuuH = Brahma the lord of creation; paritoShitaH = was gratified; mayaa = by me; charitvaa = by performing; paramam tapaH = a stupendous austerity; varSha sahasraaNi for thousands of years; teSu teShu avakaasheShu = at the conclusion of those austerities.
"Brahma the lord of creation was gratified by me, by performing a stupendous austerity for thousands of years, at the conclusion of those austerities."
तस्यैव तपसो व्युष्ट्या प्रसादाच्च स्वयम्भुवः || ९२-६-२९
नासुरेभ्यो न देवेभ्यो भयं मम कदा चन |
29. vyuShTyaa = as a consequence; tasya tapasaH eva = of that austerity alone; prasaadascha = and by the grace; svayambhuvaH = of Brahma the lord of creation; na kadaachana = there was never; bhyam = a fear; mama = for me; asurebhyaH = either from the demons; devebhyaH = or from the celestials.
"As a consequence of that austerity alone and by the grace of Brahma the lord of creation, there was never a fear for me either from the demons or from the celestials."
कवचं ब्रह्मदत्तं मे यदादित्यसमप्रभम् || ९२-६-३०
देवासुरविमर्देषु न भिन्नं वज्रशक्तिभिः |
30. devaasura vimardeShu = in the battles between the celestials and demons; yat kavacham = whatever armour was there; aaditya sama prabham = which was as brilliant as the sun; brahma dattam = gifted by Brahma the lord of creation; me = to me; na bhinnam = was not mutilated; vajramuShTibhiH = by thunderbolt in their fists."
"In the course of combats with the gods and demons, the armour gifted to me by Brahma, the lord of creation, which is as brilliant as the sun, could not be mutilated by those who held the thunderbolt in their fists."
तेन मामद्य संयुक्तं रथस्थमिह संयुगे || ९२-६-३१
प्रतीयात्कोऽद्य मामाजौ साक्षादपि पुरन्दरः |
31. kaH = who; pratiiyaat = will attack; maam = me; adya = now; rathastham = seated in the chariot; samyuktam tena = and wearing that armour; iha samyuge = in this battle-field; saakShaat purandaraH api = nay; even Indra himself; adya = now; aajau = in combat?
"Who will, be it Indra himself, dare to attack me on the battle-field now, when mounted on chariot on this field of battle, and duly wearing the aforesaid armour?"
यत्तदाभिप्रसन्नेन सशरं कार्मुकं महत् || ९२-६-३२
देवासुरविमर्देषु मम दत्तं स्वयम्भुवा |
अद्य तूर्यशतैर्भीमं धनुरुत्थाप्यतां मम || ९२-६-३३
रामलक्ष्मणयोरेव वधाय परमाहवे |
32; 33. tadaa = at that time; atiprasannena = by the very gracious; svayambhuvaa = Brahma the lord of creation; yat mahat kaarmukam = which large bow; sasharam = along with arrows; dattam = was given; mama = to me; devaasura vimardeShu = in the combat between gods and demons; adya = today; utthaapyataam = it can be taken out; tuuryashataiH = with a band of musical instruments; vadhaayaiva = for the purpose of killing; raamalakShmaNayoH = Rama and Lakshmana; paramaahave = in the great battle.
"Let that large bow of mine, which was given at that time to me along with arrows by the gracious Brahma the lord of creation, on the occasion of my combat between gods and demons, be taken out today to the accompaniment of a band of musical instruments, for the purpose of killing Rama and Lakshmana in the great battle."
स पुत्रवधसन्तप्तः शूरः क्रोधवशं गतः || ९२-६-३४
समीक्ष्य रावणो बुद्ध्या सीतां हन्तुं व्यवस्यत |
34. saH = that; kruuraH = cruel; raavaNaH = Ravana; putra vadha samtaptaH = afflicted with grief at the killing of his son; krodha vasham gataH = was subjected to anger; samiikShya = and deeply pondering; buddhyaa = with his mind; vyavasyata = decided; hantum = to kill; siitaam = Seetha.
That cruel Ravana, afflicted as he was with grief at the killing of his son, was subjected to anger and deeply pondering with his mind, decided kill Seetha.
प्रत्यवेक्ष्य तु ताम्राक्षः सुघोरो घोरदर्शनान् || ९२-६-३५
दीनो दीनस्वरान्सर्वांस्तानुवाच निशाचरान् |
35. pratyavekShya = looking fixedly; taamraakShaH = with blood-red eyes; sarvaan taan = on all those; nishaacharaan = demons; diinasvaraan = who were making miserable sounds; sughoraH = the very awful Ravana for his part; ghora darshanaH = who had assumed a terrible appearance; diinaH = though feeling distressed; uvaacha = spoke (to them as follows):
Looking fixedly with blood-red eyes on all those demons, who were making miserable sounds, that very awful Ravana for his part, who had assumed a terrible appearance, though feeling distressed, spoke to them as follows:
मायया मम वत्सेन वंचनार्थं वनौकसाम् || ९२-६-३६
किं चिदेव हतं तत्र सीतेयमिति दर्शितम् |
36. vaN^chanaartham = in order to hoodwink; vanaukasaam = the monkeys; maayayaa = by conjuring tricks; kimchideva = something; hatam = was killed; tatra = there; mama vatsena = by my child; iyam = It; darshitam = was shown; siitaa iti = as Seetha.
"In order to hoodwink the monkeys, something which had been killed there, was shown, by taking recourse to conjuring tricks, as Seetha, by my child (Indrajit)"
तदिदं तथ्यमेवाहं करिष्ये प्रियमात्मनः || ९२-६-३७
वैदेहीं नाशयिष्यामि क्षत्रबन्धुमनुव्रताम् |
इत्येवमुक्त्वा सचिवान्खड्गमाशु परामृशत् || ९२-६-३८
37; 38. aham = I; kariShye = shall make; tat idam = that hoax; tathyameva = into a hard reality; aatmanaH priyam = which is pleasing to me; naashayiShyaami = I shall destroy; vaidehiim = Seetha; anuvrataam = who is devoted to; kShatra bandhum = Rama; a bad warrior; ityevam = thus; uktvaa = speaking; schivaan = to his counsellors; paraamR^ishat = he drew; khaDgam = his sword; aashu = swiftly.
"I shall make that hoax into a hard reality, which is pleasing to me. I shall destroy Seetha, who is devoted to Rama, a bad warrior". Thus speaking to his counsellors, he swiftly drew his sword.
उत्प्लुत्य गुणसम्पन्नं विमलाम्बरवर्चसं |
निष्पपात स वेगेन सभायाः सचिवैर्वृतः || ९२-६-३९
रावणः पुत्रशोकेन भृशमाकुलचेतनः |
संक्रुद्धः खड्गमादाय सहसा यत्र मैथिली || ९२-६-४०
39; 40. samkR^iddhaH raavaNaH = the enraged Ravana; bhR^isham aakulachetanaH = who was very much agitated in mind; putrashokena = because of the grief for his son's death; utplatya = springing up suddenly aadaaya = and taking; khaDgam = the sword; guNasampannam = enriched with good attributes; vimalaambaravarchasam = with the dazzle of a clear sky; niShpapaata = sallied forth; sachivaiH vR^itaH = along with his ministers; vegena = swiftly; sahasaa = and quickly; sabhaayaaH = from the assembly; yatra = to the place where; maithilii = Seetha was.
The enraged Ravana, who was very much agitated in mind because of the grief for his son's death, springing up suddenly and taking his excellent sword, having the dazzle of a clear sky, sallied forth from the assembly hall along with his ministers swiftly and quickly to the place where Seetha was.
व्रजन्तं राक्षसं प्रेक्ष्य सिंहनादं विचुक्रुशुः |
ऊचुश्चान्योन्यमालिङ्ग्य संक्रुद्धं प्रेक्ष्य राक्षसाः || ९२-६-४१
41. prekShya = seeing; raakShasam = Ravana; vrajantam = going; (his followers); vichukrushuH = emitted; simhanaadam = a lion's roar; prekShya = seeing; samkruddham = the enraged; raakShasam = Ravana; aaliN^gya = and embracing; anyonyam = each other; (they); uuchushchaH = spoke (as follows):
Seeing Ravana going, his followers emitted a lion's roar. Seeing the enraged Ravana and embracing each other, they spoke as follows:
अद्यैनं तावुभौ दृष्ट्वा भ्रातरौ प्रव्यथिष्यतः |
लोकपाला हि चत्वारः क्रुद्धेनानेन तर्जिताः || ९२-६-४२
बहवः शत्रवश्चान्ये संयुगेष्वभिपातिताः |
42. ubhau = both; tau = those; bhraatarau = brothers (Rama and Lakshmana); dR^iShTvaa = on seeing; enam = him; adya = now; pravyathiShyataH = will get perturbed; anena = by him; kruddhena = who was in fury; chatvaara = four; lokapaalaaH = guardians of the world; tarjitaaH hi = were indeed frightened; bahavaH = Many; anye = other; shatravashchaapi = enemies were also; abhipaatitaaH = struck down; samyugeShu = in battles.
"Both those brothers (Rama and Lakshmana), on seeing him now in fury, will get perturbed. Indeed even the four guardians of the world had been frightened by him, who was in fury. Many other enemies were also frightened by him in various battles."
त्रिषु लोकेषु रत्नानि भुङ्क्ते चाहृत्य रावणः || ९२-६-४३
विक्रमे च बले चैव नास्त्यस्य सदृशो भुवि |
43. raavaNaH = Ravana; aahR^itya = having brought; ratnaani = valuable things; triShulokeSu = from the three worlds; bhuNkte cha = enjoys them; naasti = no one; bhuvi = on earth; sadR^ishaH = is equal; asya = to him; vikramecha = i prowess; balechaiva = and strength.
"Fetching precious things existing in all the three worlds, Ravana enjoys them. No one on the earth is equal to him in strength and prowess."
तेषां संजल्पमानानामशोकवनिकां गताम् || ९२-६-४४
अभिदुद्राव वैदेहीं रावणः क्रोधमूर्छितः |
44. teShaam samjalpamaanaanaam = while the demons were thus talking; raavaNaH = Ravana; krodhamuurchhitaH = who was excited with fury; abhidudraava = rushed towards; vaidehiim = Seetha; gataam = who was present ashoka vanikaam = in the Ashoka grove.
While those demons were thus talking, Ravana who was excited with fury, rushed towards Seetha, who was present in the Ashoka grove.
वार्यमाणः सुसंक्रुद्धः सुहृद्भिर्हितबुद्धिभिः || ९२-६-४५
अभ्यधावत संक्रुद्धः खे ग्रहो रोहिणीम् इव |
45. vaarua;aaMaH = (Though) being kept back; suhR^idbhiH = by his companions hitabuddhibhiH = whose minds were set on his welfare; susamkR^iddhaH = Ravana; who was very much enraged; abhyadhaavata = rushed; samkruddhaH grahaH iva = like the enraged Mars; khe = in the sky; (would rush towards); rohiNiim = the constellation Rohini.
Though being kept back by his companions whose minds were set on his welfare, Ravana who was very much enraged, rushed like Mars, in the sky, which would rush towards the constellation, Rohini in fury.
मैथिली रक्ष्यमाणा तु राक्षसीभिरनिन्दिता || ९२-६-४६
ददर्श राक्षसं क्रुद्धं निस्त्रिंशवरधारिणम् |
46. aninditaa = the faultless; maithilii tu = Seetha for her part; rakShyamaaNaa = who was being guarded; raakShasiibhiH = by female demons; dadarsha = saw; krudham = the enraged; raakShasam = Ravana; nistrimsha vara dhaariNam = bearing an excellent sword.
The faultless Seetha for her part, who was being guarded by female demons, saw the enraged Ravana who was bearing an excellent sword.
तं निशाम्य सनिस्त्रिंशं व्यथिता जनकात्मजा || ९२-६-४७
निवार्यमाणं बहुशः सुहृद्भिरनिवर्तिनम् |
47. janakaatmajaa = Seetha; vyathitaa = was perturbed; nishaamya = in seeing; tam = him; sanistrimsham = bearing a sword; anivartanam = and who was not going back; nivaaryamaaNam = eventhough being kept back bahushaH = in many ways; suhR^idbhiH = by his friends.
Seetha was perturbed in seeing him, bearing sword and who was not going back eventhough being kept back in many ways by his friends.
सीता दुःखसमाविष्टा विलपन्तीदमब्रवीत् || ९२-६-४८
यथायं मामभिक्रुद्धः समभिद्रवति स्वयम् |
वधिष्यति सनाथां मामनाथामिव दुर्मतिः || ९२-६-४९
48; 49. siitaa = Seetha; duH khasamaaviShTaa = filled; with grief; vilapantii = while lamenting; abraviit = said to herself; idam = these words; ayam = He; durmatiH = the evl-minded; abhikruddhaH = with fury; yathaa = as; abhidravati = he is rushing; svayam himself; maam = towards me; vadhiShyati = will kill; maam = me; sanaathaam = having a husband; anaathaamiva = as if to make me husband-less.
Filled with sorrow and lamenting, Seetha said to herself as follows: "From the manner in which this fellow himself is rushing towards me in fury, I fear the evil-minded demon is going to kill me, to make me husband-less, even though I have a husband".
बहुशश्चोदयामास भर्तारं मामनुव्रताम् |
भार्या भव रमस्येति प्रत्याख्यातो ध्रुवं मया || ९२-६-५०
सोऽयं मामनुपस्थानाद् व्यक्तं नैराश्यमागतः |
क्रोधमोहसमाविष्टो व्यक्तं मां हन्तुमुद्यतः || ९२-६-५१
50; 51. maam = to me; anuvrataam = devoted as I am; bhartaaram = to my husband; chodayaamaasa = he incited; bahushaH = several times; iti = saying; mama bhaaryaa bhavasva = "By my consort!"; saH ayam = he as such; pratyaakhyaataH = was refused; mayaa = by me; dhruvam = firmly; vyaktam aagataH = having been evidently afflicted; nairaashyam = with despair; anupasthaane = on my refusing to wait upon him; udyataH = he is intent; vyaktam = surely; hantum = to kill; maam = me; krodhamohasamaaviShTaH = filled as he was with anger and infatuation.
"He incited me several times, devoted as I am to my husband, saying 'Be my consort!'. He was refused firmly by me. Having been evidently afflicted with despair on my refusing to wait upon him, he is surely intent to kill me, filled as he was with anger and infatuation."
अथ वा तौ नरव्याघ्रौ भ्रातरौ रामलक्ष्मणौ |
मन्निमित्तमनार्येण समरेऽद्य निपातितौ || ९२-६-५२
52. athavaa = otherwise; tau bhraatarau raama lakShmaNau = those brothers; Rama and Lakshmana; naravyaaghrau = the foremost of men; nipaatitau = might have been killed; adya = today; samare = in battle; mannimattam = because of me; anaaryeNa = by that vulgar demon.
"Otherwise, that vulgar demon might have killed those brothers, Rama and Lakshmana, the foremost of men, today in battle, because of me."
भैरवो हि महान्नादो राक्षसानां श्रुतो मया |
बहूनामिह हृष्टानां तथा विक्रोशतां प्रियम् || ९२-६-५३
53. iha = here; bhairavaH = a terrific; mahaan = great; naadaH = sound; babhuunaam raakShasaanaam = of many demons; (shrutaH hi = has indeed been heard; mayaa = by me); hR^iShTaanaam = who were merry; tathaa = and; vikroshataam = roaring; priyam = about a pleasant thing.
"Here, I just heard a terrific great noise of a multitude of demons, who have been jubilant and roaring about a pleasant happening."
अहो धिन्मन्निमित्तोऽयं विनाशो राजपुत्रयोः |
अथवा पुत्रशोकेन अहत्वा रामलक्ष्मणौ || ९२-६-५४
विधमिष्यति मां रौद्रो राक्षसः पापनिश्चयः |
54. aho = alas; dhik = woe is me; ayam vinaashaH = if that destruction; raajaputrayoH = of the two princes; mannimittaH = was brought about because of me; athavaa = otherwise; raudraH = the terrific; raakShasaH = demon; paapanishchayaH = with a sinful resolve; ahatvaa = having not been able to kill; raama lakShmaNau = Rama and Lakshmana; vidhamiSyati = is going to kill; maam = me; putrashokena = because of the grief over his son's death.
"Alas! Woe is me, if that destruction of the two princes was brought about because of me. Otherwise, the terrific demon of a sinful resolve, having not been able to kill Rama and Lakshmana, is going to kill, me, because of the grief over his son's death."
हनूमतो हि तद्वाक्यं न कृतं क्षुद्रया मया || ९२-६-५५
यद्यहं तस्य पृष्ठेन तदायासमनिन्दिता |
नाद्यैवमनुशोचेयं भर्तुरंकगता सती || ९२-६-५६
55; 56. tat vaalua; = those words; hanuumataH = of Hanuma; na kR^itam = were not acted upon; mayaa = by me; kShudrayaa = having a low mind; aham ayaasam yadi = If I left; tadaa = on that day; tasya pR^iShThena = on his back; anirjitaa = though not won back (by my husband); anushocheyam = I would not have grieved; adya evam = as I am doing in his manner today; bhartuH aN^kagataa satii = as I should be resting on the lap of my husband (in that case).
"Those words of Hanuma were not acted upon by me, having a low mind. If I left on that day on his back, though not won back by my husband, I would not have grieved like this today, as I should be resting on the lap of my husband (in that case)."
मन्ये तु हृदयं तस्याः कौसल्यायाः फलिष्यति |
एकपुत्रा यदा पुत्रं विनष्टं श्रोष्यते युधि || ९२-६-५७
57. yadaa shroShyate = when she hears; putram = that her son; vinaShTam = is dead; yudhi = in battle; manye = I think; hR^idayam = the heart; tasyaaH kausalyaaH = of that Kausalya; ekaputraa = who had only one son; phaliShyati = will get burst.
"I think that the heart of that Kausalya will get burst, when the lady, who had only one son, hears of her son having been killed in battle."
सा हि जन्म च बाल्यं च यौवनं च महात्मनः |
धर्मकार्याणि रूपं च रुदती संस्रमिष्यति || ९२-६-५८
58. rudatii = while lamenting; saa = she; samsmariShyati = would be recollecting; janmacha = about the birth; baalyam cha = childhood; yauvanamcha = youth; dharmakaaryaaNi = the righteous acts; ruupam cha = and the handsome form; mahaatmanaH = of the great-souled Rama.
"While lamenting, Kausalya will vividly recall about the birth, childhood, youth, the righteous acts and the handsome form of the great-souled Rama."
निराशा निहते पुत्रे दत्त्वा श्राद्धमचेतना |
अग्निमारोक्ष्यते नूनमपो वापि प्रवेक्ष्यति || ९२-६-५९
59. putre nihate = when her son is killed; (Kausalya); niraashaa = becomes despondent; achetanaa = unconscious; dattvaa = after observing; shraaddham = a ceremony in honour of her dead son; nuunam = and certainly; aavekShyate = will enter; agnim = the flame; pravekShyati vaapi = or even be drowned into; aapaH = water.
"Having observed a ceremony in honour of her deceased son and getting despondent and unconscious, Kausalya will surely enter the flame or be drowned in water."
धिगस्तु कुब्जामसतीं मन्थरां पापनिश्चयाम् |
यन्निमित्तमिदं दुःखं कौसल्या प्रतिपत्स्यते || ९२-६-६०
60. dhik astu = woe be; kubjaam = to the hunch-back; asatiim = and unfaithful; mantharaam = Manthara; paapanishchayaam = of sinful resolve; yannimittam = on whose consequence; kausalyaa = Kausalya; pratipadyate = will obtain; imam shokam = this grief.
"Woe be to the unfaithful hunch-back Manthara, of sinful resolve, on whose consequence, Kausalya will get this grief."
इत्येवं मैथिलीं दृष्ट्वा विलपन्तीं तपस्विनीम् |
रोहिणीमिव चन्द्रेण विना ग्रहवशं गताम् || ९२-६-६१
एतस्मिन्नन्तरे तस्य अमात्यः शीलवान् शुचिः |
सुपार्श्वो नाम मेधावी रावणं राक्षसेश्वरम् || ९२-६-६२
निवार्यमाणं सचिवैरिदं वचनमब्रवीत् |
61; 62. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; mailthiliim = Seetha; ityevam = thus; vilapantiim = weeping; tapasviniim = miserably; rohiNiim iva = like Rohini (the deity presiding over a constellation of this name); graha vasham gatam = fallen under the sway of the planet Mars; chandreNa vinaa = when away of the moon-god (her husband); amaatyaH = a minister; supaarshvo naama = called Suparshva; shiilavaan = a good natured; shuchiH = upright; medhaavii = highly intelligent demon; nivaaryamaaNaH = eventhough restrained; sachivaiH = by other ministers; abraviit = spoke; idam vachanam = these words; raavaNam = to Ravana; rakShasaam varam = the foremost of demons.
Seeing Seetha miserably weeping in that manner like Rohini (the deity presiding over a constellation of this name), fallen under the sway of the planet Mars, when away of the moon-god (her husband), a minister called Suparshva, a good-natured, upright and highly intelligent demon, even though restrained by other ministers, spoke the following words Ravana, the foremost of demons:
कथं नाम दशग्रीव साक्षाद्वैश्रवणानुज || ९२-६-६३
हन्तुमिच्छसि वैदेहीं क्रोधाद्धर्ममपास्य हि |
63. dashagriiva = O Ravana; vaishraavaNaanuja = the younger brother of Kubera; saakShaat = himself!; katham = how; ichchhasi = do you wish; hantum = to kill; vaidehiim = Seetha; apaasya = abandoning; dharmam = your righteousness; krodhaat = in a bout of anger?
"O Ravana, the younger brother of Kubera himself! How do you wish to kill Seetha, abandoning your righteousness, in a bout of anger?"
वेद विद्याव्रत स्नातः स्वधर्मनिरतः सदा || ९२-६-६४
स्त्रियाः कस्माद्वधं वीर मन्यसे राक्षसेश्वर |
64. viira raakShaseshvara = O valiant king of demons!; kamaat = why; manyase = are you thinking;vadham = destroying; striyaH = a lady; veda vidyaavratasnaataH = ever since you completed the vow of celibacy essential for a study of the Vedic lore; tathaa = and; svakarmanirataH = were devoted to your own duty?
"O valiant king of demons! Why are you thinking of destroying a lady, ever since you completed the vow of celibacy essential for a study of the Vedic lore and were devoted to your own duty?"
मैथिलीं रूपसम्पन्नां प्रत्यवेक्षस्व पार्थिव || ९२-६-६५
तस्मिन्नेव सहास्माभी राघवे क्रोधमुत्सृज |
65. paarthiva = O king!; pratya vekShasva behold at; maithiliim = Seetha; ruua sampannaam = endowed with beauty; asmaabhiH saha = together with us; utsR^ija = release; krodham = your anger; aahave = in battle; tasminneva = on Rama alone.
"O king! Behold at Seetha, endowed, as she is, with beauty. Together with us, release your anger, in battle, on Rama alone."
अभ्युत्थानं त्वमद्यैव कृष्णपक्षचतुर्दशीम् || ९२-६-६६
कृत्वा निर्याह्यमावास्यां विजयाय बलैर्वृतः |
66. kR^itvaa = making; abhyutthaanam = yourself ready; adyaiva = today itself; kR^iShNa pakShachaturdashiim = the fourteenth day of the dark half of this month; tvam = you; vR^itaH = along with; balaiH = the armies; niryaahi = sally forth; amaavaasyaam = tomorrow; the moonless day; vijayaaya = to victory.
"Making yourself ready today itself, the fourteenth day of the dark half of this month, you along with the armies, sally forth tomorrow, the moonless day, to victory."
शूरो धीमान्रथी खड्गी रथप्रवरमास्थितः || ९२-६-६७
हत्वा दाशरथिं रामं भवान्प्राप्स्यति मैथिलीम् |
67. shuuraH = a valiant; dhiimaan = and shrewd; rathii = chariot-warrior; khaDgii = fighting with a sword; ratha pravaram aasthitaH = in the foremost of your chariots; bhavaan praapsyasi = you can get; maithiliim = Seetha; hatvaa = by killing; raamam = Rama; daasharathim = the son of Dasaratha.
"As a valiant and shrewd chariot-warrior, fighting with a sword, in the foremost of your chariots, you can fetch Seetha by killing Rama, the son of Dasaratha."
स तद्दुरात्मा सुहृदा निवेदितं |
वचः सुधर्म्यं प्रतिगृह्य रावणः |
गृहं जगामाथ ततश्च वीर्यवान् |
पुनः सभां च प्रययौ सुहृद्वृतः || ९२-६-६८
68. pratigR^iya = accepting; vachaH = that advice; sudharmyam = endowed with justice; niveditam = tendered; suhR^idaa = by a friend; duraatmaa = the evil-minded; raavaNaH = Ravana; jagaama = went; gR^iham = his palace; atha = thereafter; viiryavaan = that valiant Ravana; suhR^idvR^itaH = along with his friends; punaH = again; prayayau = went; sabhaam cha = to his assembly-hall; tataH = from there.
Accepting that advice, endowed with justice, tendered by a friend, the evil-minded Ravana went to his palace. Thereafter, that valiant Ravana, along with his friends, again went to his assembly hall from there.
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे द्विनवतितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© January 2009, K. M. K. Murthy