Ravana feels distressed in hearing the news of his son's death. He gets enraged and after deeply pondering over, decides to kill Seetha, who was the root of all this trouble. Ravana with a sword in his hand, sallies forth towards Ashoka garden to make a short work of Seetha. Seetha observes Ravana rushing towards her and laments that after killing Rama and Lakshmana, he is coming to her place to kill her. Beholding the lamentation of Seetha, Suparshva, a good and upright minister of Ravana advises Ravana to desist from that dastardly act and to divert his anger towards Rama in battle. Ravana accepts the advice of his minister and returns to his assembly-hall.
tataH paulastya sachivaaH shrutvaa chendrajitaM hatam |
aachachakShurabhiGYaaya dashagriivaaya savyathaaH || 92-6-1
1. shrutvaa = hearing; indrajitaH vadham = of Indrajit's killing; paulastya sachivaaH = Ravana's counsellors; tataH = then; satvaraaH = hurriedly; abhijJNaaya = ascertained the news; aachachakShuH = reported the matter; dashagrivaaya = to Ravana.
Hearing of Indrajit's killing and having ascertained the news, Ravana's counsellors reported the matter hurriedly to Ravana.
yuddhe hato mahaaraaja lakShmaNena tavaatmajaH |
vibhiiShaNasahaayena miShataaM no mahaadyute || 92-6-2
2. mahaaraaja = O monarch!; tava = your; mahaadyutiH = great majestic; aatmajaH = son; hataH = has been killed; lakShmaNena = by Lakshmana; vibhiiShaNa sahaayena = with the help of Vibhishana; naH niShataam = while we were witnessing the same; yuddhe = in the battle-field.
"O monarch! Your great majestic son has been killed by Lakshmana with the help of Vibhishana, while we were witnessing the event in the battle-field."
shuuraH shUreNa saMgamya saMyugeShvaparaajitaH |
lakShNanena hataH shUraH putraste vibudhendrajit || 92-6-3
gataH sa paramaan lokaan sharaiH saMtaapy lakShmaNam |
3. te shuuraH putraH = your valiant son; aparaajitaH = who was unbeatable; samyugeShu = in combats; shuuraH = that hero; vibudhendrajit = who conquered Indra the lord of celestials; samgamya = having collided; shureNa lakShmaNena = with valiant Lakshmana; hataH = has been killed; samtaapya = tormenting; lakShmaNam = Lakshmana; sharaiH = with his arrows; saH = Indrajit; gataH = departed; paramaan lokaan = to the highest world.
"Your valiant son, who was unbeatable in combats and that hero who conquered Indra the lord of celestials, having collided with valiant Lakshmana, has been killed. Having tormented Lakshmana with his arrows, Indrajit departed to the highest world."
sa taM pratibhayaM shrutvaa vadhaM putrasya daaruNam || 92-6-4
ghoramindrajitaH sa~Nkhye kashmalaM praavishanmahat |
4. shrutvaa = hearing; tam = that; (news of); pratibhayam = formidable; daaruNam = harsh; ghoram = and indrajitaH = of his son; Indrajit; samkhye = in battle; saH = Ravana; praavishat = gave way; mahat kashmalam = to a protracted swoon.
Hearing that news of formidable, harsh and terrific death of Indrajit his son in battle, Ravana gave way to a protracted swoon.
upalabhya chiraatsaMGYaaM raajaa raakShasapu~NgavaH || 92-6-5
putrashokaakulo dIno vilalaapaakulendriyaH |
5. upalabhya = regaining; samjJNaam = his consciousness; chiraat = after a long time; raajaa = the king; raakShasapungavaH = Ravana; vilalaapa = lamented; putrashokaakulaH = confounded as he was with sorrow of his son's death; diinaH = became depressed; aakulendriyaH = and confused in mind.
Regaining his consciousness after a long time, the king Ravana, confounded as he was with sorrow on account of his son's death and with his mind confused, lamented as follows depressed as he was.
haa raakShasachamUmukhya mama vatsa mahaaratha || 92-6-6
jitvendraM kathamadya tvaM lakShmaNasya vashaM gataH |
6. haa = alas!; raakShasachamuumukhya = O chief of the army of demons!; mama vatsa = O my child!; mahaabala = O the mighty one!; katham = how; tvam = were you; jitvaa = who; having conquered; indram = Indra; adya = now; lakShmaNasya vasham gataH = subjected to the will of Lakshmana?
"Alas! My child, the chief of the army of demons, having extraordinary might! Having conquered Indra, how have you been subjected to the power of Lakshmana now?"
nanu tvamiShubhiH kruddho bhindyaaH kaalaantakaavapi || 92-6-7
mandarasyaapi shR^i~NgaaNi kiM punarlakShmaNaM raNe |
7. nana = certainly; kruddhaH = when enraged; tvam bhindyaa = you would pierce; iSubhiH = with your arrows; yudhi = in battle; kaalaantakau api = even the all-destroying time in the form of Yama the lord of Death; shR^iNyapi = even the peaks; mandarasya = of Mount Mandara; lakShmaNam kim punaH = what to tell about Lakshmana?
"Certainly, when enraged, you would pierce with your arrows in battle, even the all-destroying time in the form of Yama the Lord of Death and even the peaks of Mount Mandara. What to tell about Lakshmana?"
adya vaivasvato raajaa bhUyo bahumato mama || 92-6-8
yenaadya tvaM mahaabaaho saMyuktaH kaaladharmaNaa |
8. mahaabaaho = O the long armed one! bhuuyaH bahumataH = highly esteemed mama = to me; raajaa = is king Yama; vaivasvataH = son of sun-god; yena = by whom; tvam = you; samyuktaH = have been subjected to; kaaladharmaNaa = the ravages of time; adya = today.
"O the long armed one! Highly esteemed to me is the king Yama, son of sun-god, by whom you have been subjected to the ravages of time today."
eSha panthaaH suyodhaanaaM sarvaamaragaNeShvapi || 92-6-9
yaH kR^ite hanyate bhartuH sa pumaan svargamR^ichchhati |
9. eShaH = this; panthaaH = is the path; snyodhaanaam = for great warriors; sarvaamaragaNeShvapi = even among all the celestial hosts; saH pumaan = that male offspring; hanyate = who is killed; bhartuH kR^ite = for the cause of his lord; R^ichchhati = obtains; svargam = heaven.
"This is the path for great warriors even among all the celestial hosts. That male offspring who is killed for the cause of his lord, obtains heaven."
adya devagaNaaH sarve lokapaalaastatharShayaH || 92-6-10
hatamindrajitaM dR^iShTvaa sukhaM svapsyanti nirbhayaaH |
10. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; indrajitam = Indrajit; hatam = having been killed; samasta = all; devagaNaaH = the hosts of celestials; lokapaalaaH = the guardians of the world; maharShayaH = the great sages; adya = can now; svapsyanti = sleep; adya = can now; sukham = comfortably; nirbhayaaH = and peacefully.
"Seeing Indrajit having been killed, all the hosts of celestials, the guardians of the world and the great sages now can sleep comfortably and peacefully."
adya lokaastrayaH kR^itsnaaH pR^ithivI cha sakaananaa || 92-6-11
ekenendrajitaa hInaa shUNyeva pratibhaati me |
11. hiinaa = bereft; indrajitaa = of Indrajit; ekena = alone; kR^itsnaa = the entire; pR^ithivii = earth; sakaananaa = with its forests; pratibhaati = appear; shuunyena = to be wholly alone; me = to me; trayaH lokaaH = may; even the three worlds!
"Bereft of Indrajit alone, the entire earth with its forest appear to be wholly alone to me. Nay, even the three worlds!"
adya nairR^itakanyaayaaM shroShyaamyantaHpure ravam || 92-6-12
kareNusa~Nghasya yathaa ninaadaM girigahvare |
12. adya = now; shruShyaami = I shall hear; ravam = the hue and cry; nairR^ita antaHpuram = in the gynaecium; ninaadam yathaa = even as one would hear the roar; kareNu samghasya = of a troop of female-elephants; girigahvare = in a mountain cave.
"Now, I shall hear the hue and cry of the demon-maidens in the gynaecium, even as one would hear the roar of a troop of female-elephants in a mountain cave."
yauvaraajyaM cha la~NkaaM cha rakShaaMsi cha parantapa || 92-6-13
maataraM maaM cha bhaaryaaM cha kva gato.asi vihaaya naH |
13. paramtapa = O destroyer of enemies! kva = where; gataH api = did you go; vihaaya = leaving; yauva raajyam cha = your right of succession to our kingdom; laN^kaamcha = Lanka; rakShaamsi cha = the demons; maataram = your mother; maamcha = myself; bhaaryaamcha = your wives; naH = and all of us.
"O destroyer of enemies! Where did you go leaving the rank of Prince Regent as also Lanka, the demons, your mother and myself, your wives and all of us."
mama naama tvayaa vIra gatasya yamasaadanam || 92-6-14
pretakaaryaaNi kaaryaaNi viparIte hi vartase |
14. viira = O hero!; preta kaaryaaNi maama = the obsequial; rights in my honour; ma magatasya yamasaadanam = consequent upon my death; kaaryaaNi = are to be done; tvayaa = by you; vipariite vartase hi = you are indeed in a reverse path.
"O hero! The obsequies rights in my honour ought to have been done by you, consequent upon my death in future. You are, however, following a reverse path."
sa tvaM jIvati sugrIve lakShmaNe cha raaghave || 92-6-15
mama shalyamanuddhR^itya kva gato.asi vihaaya naH |
15. sugriive = while Sugreeva; lakShmaNena = Lakshmana; raaghave = and Rama; jiivate = are still alive; saH tvam = you as such; annddhR^itya = without taking away; mama shalyam = my tormentation; kva = where; gataH = have you gone; vihaaya = deserting; naH = us?
"Deserting us without taking away my tormentation, while Sugreeva, lakshmana and Rama are still alive, where have you gone?"
evamaadivilaapaartaM raavaNaM raakShasaadhipam || 92-6-16
aavivesha mahaankopaH putravyasanasambhavaH |
16. mahaan = a huge; kopaH = rage; aavivesha = enveloped; raavaNam = Ravana; raakShasaadhipam = the king of demons; putravyasana sambhavaH = born of his son's death; evamaadivilaapaartam = while he was feeling distressed through grief as aforesaid.
A huge rage enveloped Ravana, the king of demons, born of his son's death, while he was feeling distressed through grief as aforesaid.
prakR^ityaa kopanaM hyenaM putrasya punaraadhayaH || 92-6-17
diiptaM saMdiipayaamaasurgharme.arkamiva rashmayaH |
17. aathayaH = the anguishes; putrasya = of his son's death; samdiipayaamaasuH = flared up; punaH = further; evam = for him; prakR^ityaa = who by nature; kopanam = was wrathful; rashmayaH iva = as rays of the sun; (flare up) diiptam arkam = the blazing sun; gharme = in summer.
The anguishes occasioned by the death of his son, flared up further for him, who by his very nature, was wrathful, as rays of the sun flare up the blazing sun in summer.
lalaaTe bhukuTiibhishcha saMgataabhirvyarochata || 92-6-18
yagaante sahanaktrastu mahormibhirivodadhiH |
18. vyarochata = he shone; udadhiH iva = like an ocean; mahormiH = with giant waves; sahanakraiH = and crocodiles; yugaanti = at the time of dissolution of the world; bhrukuTiibhiH = with his eye-brows; samgataabhiH = joined together; lalaaTe = on his forehead.
With his eye brows joined together on his forehead, he shone brightly like an ocean, at the time of the dissolution of the world, with crocodiles and giant waves.
kopaadvijR^imbhamaaNasya vaktradvyaktamiva jvalan || 92-6-19
utpapaata sadhuumaagnirvR^itrasya vadanaadiva |
19. vijR^imbhamaaNasya = while he was yawning; kopaat = with anger; sadhuumaagniH = a fire with smoke; utpapaata = broke out; iva = as through; vyaktam = clearly; jvalan = burning; vaktraat = from his mouth; vadanaadiva = as it did from the month; vR^itrasya = of Vritra (in the former days).
While he was yawning with anger; a fire with smoke, as though clearly burning, broke out from his mouth, as it did from the month of Vritra (in the former days).
sa putravadhasaMtaptaH shuuraH krodhavashaM gataH || 92-6-20
samiikShya raavaNo buddhyaa vaidehyaa rochayadvadham |
20. saH = that; shuuraH = valiant; raavaNaH = Ravana; putra vadha samtaptaH = afflicted with the grief of his son's killing; krodhavasham gataH = got wrapped up in wrath; samiikShya buddhyaa = pondering with his mind; rochayat = craved; vadham = for the killing; vaidehyaaH = of Seetha.
Afflicted with the grief of his son's killing, that valiant Ravana got wrapped up in wrath and pondering with his mind, craved for the killing of Seetha.
tasya prakR^ityaa rakte cha rakte krodhaagninaapi cha || 92-6-21
raavaNasya mahaaghore diipte netre babhuuvatuH |
21. mahaaghore = the dreadful; netre = eyes; rakte = which were red in colour; prakR^itye = by their nature; rakte = and red; krodhaagninaapi = even by the fire of wrath; tasya raavaNasya = of that Ravana; babhuuvatuH = were found; kiipte = to be glittering.
The dreadful eyes of that Ravana, which were red in colour by their very nature and were red even by the fire of his wrath, looked glittering.
ghoraM prakR^ityaa rUpaM tattasya krodhaagnimUrchhitam || 92-6-22
babhUva rUpaM rudrasya kruddhasyeva duraasadam |
22. tat prakR^ityaa ghoram ruupam = that naturally terrific form; tasya = of his; krodhaagni muurchhitam = filled with the fire of his wrath; babhuuva = became; duraasadam = difficult to be approached; kruddhasya rudrasya iva = like the form of enraged Rudra the god of destruction.
That naturally terrific form of Ravana, filled with the fire of his wrath, became difficult to be approached, like the form of enraged Rudra the god of destruction.
tasya kruddhasya netraabhyaaM praapatannasrabindavaH || 92-6-23
dIptaabhyaamiva dIpaabhyaaM saarchiShaH snehabindavaH |
23. ashru bindavaH = drops of tears; praapatan = fell down; tasya kruddhasya netraabhyaam = from his enraged eyes; snehabindavaH = as drops of oil; saarchiShaH = with flames; (fall down); diiptaabhyaam = from blazing; diipaabhyaam = lamps.
Drops of tears fell down from his enraged eyes, as drops of oil with flames fall down from blazing lamps.
dantaanvidashatastasya shrUyate dashanasvanaH || 92-6-24
yantrasyaaveShTyamaanasya mahato daanavairiva |
24. tasya dashanasvanaH = the sound of his teeth; vidashataH dantaan = produced from the friction of his teeth as he ground them; shruuyate = like the noise of a large machine; aakR^iShyamaaNasya = being dragged; daanavaiH = by demons.
The sound of his teeth, produced from the friction of his teeth as he ground them, were heard like the noise of a large machine being bragged by the demons.
kaalaagniriva saMkruddho yaaM yaaM dishamavaikShata || 92-6-25
tasyaaM tasyaaM bhayatrastaa raakShasaaH saMnililyire |
25. bhayatrastaaH = trembling with fear; raakShasaaH = the demons; samvililyire = hid themselves; yaam yaam disham = in whichever quarter; avaikShata = to which he directed his look; samkruddhaH = enraged as he was; kaalaagniriva = like the fire of universal dissolution.
Trembling with fear, the demons hid themselves, in whichever quarter to which he directed his look, enraged as he was, like the fire of universal dissolution.
tamantakamiva kruddhaM charaacharachikhaadiShum || 92-6-26
vIkShamaaNaM dishaH sarvaa raakShasaa nopachakramuH |
26. raakShasaaH = Demons; nopachakramuH = could not go towards; tam = Ravana; viikShamaaNam = who was looking at; sarvaaH = all (the four); dishah = quarters; kruddham antakamiva = like the enraged Yama the god of Death; charaachara chikhaadiShum = who wants to devour mobile and immobile creatures.
Demons could not go towards Ravana, who was looking at all the four quarters, like the enraged Yama the god of Death, who wants to devour both the mobile and the immobile creatures.
tataH paramasaMkruddho raavaNo raakShasaadhipaH || 92-6-27
abravIdrakShasaaM madhye saMstambhayiShuraahave |
27. samstabhayiShuH = desirous of posting; rakShasaam = the demons; aahave = to the field of battle; raavaNaH = Ravana; raakShasaadhipaH = the king of demons; parama samkruddhaH = who was very much enraged; tataH = then; abraviit = spoke (as follows); madhye = in their midst.
Desirous of posting the demons to the battle-field, Ravana the king of demons, who was very much enraged, then spoke as follows, in their midst:
mayaa varShasahasraaNi charitvaa paramaM tapaH || 92-6-28
teShu teShvavakaasheShu svayambhUH paritoShitaH |
28. svayambhuuH = Brahma the lord of creation; paritoShitaH = was gratified; mayaa = by me; charitvaa = by performing; paramam tapaH = a stupendous austerity; varSha sahasraaNi for thousands of years; teSu teShu avakaasheShu = at the conclusion of those austerities.
"Brahma the lord of creation was gratified by me, by performing a stupendous austerity for thousands of years, at the conclusion of those austerities."
tasyaiva tapaso vyuShTyaa prasaadaachcha svayambhuvaH || 92-6-29
naasurebhyo na devebhyo bhayaM mama kadaa chana |
29. vyuShTyaa = as a consequence; tasya tapasaH eva = of that austerity alone; prasaadascha = and by the grace; svayambhuvaH = of Brahma the lord of creation; na kadaachana = there was never; bhyam = a fear; mama = for me; asurebhyaH = either from the demons; devebhyaH = or from the celestials.
"As a consequence of that austerity alone and by the grace of Brahma the lord of creation, there was never a fear for me either from the demons or from the celestials."
kavachaM brahmadattaM me yadaadityasamaprabham || 92-6-30
devaasuravimardeShu na bhinnaM vajrashaktibhiH |
30. devaasura vimardeShu = in the battles between the celestials and demons; yat kavacham = whatever armour was there; aaditya sama prabham = which was as brilliant as the sun; brahma dattam = gifted by Brahma the lord of creation; me = to me; na bhinnam = was not mutilated; vajramuShTibhiH = by thunderbolt in their fists."
"In the course of combats with the gods and demons, the armour gifted to me by Brahma, the lord of creation, which is as brilliant as the sun, could not be mutilated by those who held the thunderbolt in their fists."
tena maamadya saMyuktaM rathasthamiha saMyuge || 92-6-31
pratIyaatko.adya maamaajau saakShaadapi purandaraH |
31. kaH = who; pratiiyaat = will attack; maam = me; adya = now; rathastham = seated in the chariot; samyuktam tena = and wearing that armour; iha samyuge = in this battle-field; saakShaat purandaraH api = nay; even Indra himself; adya = now; aajau = in combat?
"Who will, be it Indra himself, dare to attack me on the battle-field now, when mounted on chariot on this field of battle, and duly wearing the aforesaid armour?"
yattadaabhiprasannena sasharaM kaarmukaM mahat || 92-6-32
devaasuravimardeShu mama dattaM svayambhuvaa |
adya tUryashatairbhImaM dhanurutthaapyataaM mama || 92-6-33
raamalakShmaNayoreva vadhaaya paramaahave |
32; 33. tadaa = at that time; atiprasannena = by the very gracious; svayambhuvaa = Brahma the lord of creation; yat mahat kaarmukam = which large bow; sasharam = along with arrows; dattam = was given; mama = to me; devaasura vimardeShu = in the combat between gods and demons; adya = today; utthaapyataam = it can be taken out; tuuryashataiH = with a band of musical instruments; vadhaayaiva = for the purpose of killing; raamalakShmaNayoH = Rama and Lakshmana; paramaahave = in the great battle.
"Let that large bow of mine, which was given at that time to me along with arrows by the gracious Brahma the lord of creation, on the occasion of my combat between gods and demons, be taken out today to the accompaniment of a band of musical instruments, for the purpose of killing Rama and Lakshmana in the great battle."
sa putravadhasantaptaH shUraH krodhavashaM gataH || 92-6-34
samIkShya raavaNo buddhyaa sItaaM hantuM vyavasyata |
34. saH = that; kruuraH = cruel; raavaNaH = Ravana; putra vadha samtaptaH = afflicted with grief at the killing of his son; krodha vasham gataH = was subjected to anger; samiikShya = and deeply pondering; buddhyaa = with his mind; vyavasyata = decided; hantum = to kill; siitaam = Seetha.
That cruel Ravana, afflicted as he was with grief at the killing of his son, was subjected to anger and deeply pondering with his mind, decided kill Seetha.
pratyavekShya tu taamraakShaH sughoro ghoradarshanaan || 92-6-35
dIno dInasvaraansarvaaMstaanuvaacha nishaacharaan |
35. pratyavekShya = looking fixedly; taamraakShaH = with blood-red eyes; sarvaan taan = on all those; nishaacharaan = demons; diinasvaraan = who were making miserable sounds; sughoraH = the very awful Ravana for his part; ghora darshanaH = who had assumed a terrible appearance; diinaH = though feeling distressed; uvaacha = spoke (to them as follows):
Looking fixedly with blood-red eyes on all those demons, who were making miserable sounds, that very awful Ravana for his part, who had assumed a terrible appearance, though feeling distressed, spoke to them as follows:
maayayaa mama vatsena vaMchanaarthaM vanaukasaam || 92-6-36
kiM chideva hataM tatra sIteyamiti darshitam |
36. vaN^chanaartham = in order to hoodwink; vanaukasaam = the monkeys; maayayaa = by conjuring tricks; kimchideva = something; hatam = was killed; tatra = there; mama vatsena = by my child; iyam = It; darshitam = was shown; siitaa iti = as Seetha.
"In order to hoodwink the monkeys, something which had been killed there, was shown, by taking recourse to conjuring tricks, as Seetha, by my child (Indrajit)"
tadidaM tathyamevaahaM kariShye priyamaatmanaH || 92-6-37
vaidehIM naashayiShyaami kShatrabandhumanuvrataam |
ityevamuktvaa sachivaankhaDgamaashu paraamR^ishat || 92-6-38
37; 38. aham = I; kariShye = shall make; tat idam = that hoax; tathyameva = into a hard reality; aatmanaH priyam = which is pleasing to me; naashayiShyaami = I shall destroy; vaidehiim = Seetha; anuvrataam = who is devoted to; kShatra bandhum = Rama; a bad warrior; ityevam = thus; uktvaa = speaking; schivaan = to his counsellors; paraamR^ishat = he drew; khaDgam = his sword; aashu = swiftly.
"I shall make that hoax into a hard reality, which is pleasing to me. I shall destroy Seetha, who is devoted to Rama, a bad warrior". Thus speaking to his counsellors, he swiftly drew his sword.
utplutya guNasampannaM vimalaambaravarchasaM |
niShpapaata sa vegena sabhaayaaH sachivairvR^itaH || 92-6-39
raavaNaH putrashokena bhR^ishamaakulachetanaH |
saMkruddhaH khaDgamaadaaya sahasaa yatra maithilI || 92-6-40
39; 40. samkR^iddhaH raavaNaH = the enraged Ravana; bhR^isham aakulachetanaH = who was very much agitated in mind; putrashokena = because of the grief for his son's death; utplatya = springing up suddenly aadaaya = and taking; khaDgam = the sword; guNasampannam = enriched with good attributes; vimalaambaravarchasam = with the dazzle of a clear sky; niShpapaata = sallied forth; sachivaiH vR^itaH = along with his ministers; vegena = swiftly; sahasaa = and quickly; sabhaayaaH = from the assembly; yatra = to the place where; maithilii = Seetha was.
The enraged Ravana, who was very much agitated in mind because of the grief for his son's death, springing up suddenly and taking his excellent sword, having the dazzle of a clear sky, sallied forth from the assembly hall along with his ministers swiftly and quickly to the place where Seetha was.
vrajantaM raakShasaM prekShya siMhanaadaM vichukrushuH |
UchushchaanyonyamaaliN^gya saMkruddhaM prekShya raakShasaaH || 92-6-41
41. prekShya = seeing; raakShasam = Ravana; vrajantam = going; (his followers); vichukrushuH = emitted; simhanaadam = a lion's roar; prekShya = seeing; samkruddham = the enraged; raakShasam = Ravana; aaliN^gya = and embracing; anyonyam = each other; (they); uuchushchaH = spoke (as follows):
Seeing Ravana going, his followers emitted a lion's roar. Seeing the enraged Ravana and embracing each other, they spoke as follows:
adyainaM taavubhau dR^iShTvaa bhraatarau pravyathiShyataH |
lokapaalaa hi chatvaaraH kruddhenaanena tarjitaaH || 92-6-42
bahavaH shatravashchaanye saMyugeShvabhipaatitaaH |
42. ubhau = both; tau = those; bhraatarau = brothers (Rama and Lakshmana); dR^iShTvaa = on seeing; enam = him; adya = now; pravyathiShyataH = will get perturbed; anena = by him; kruddhena = who was in fury; chatvaara = four; lokapaalaaH = guardians of the world; tarjitaaH hi = were indeed frightened; bahavaH = Many; anye = other; shatravashchaapi = enemies were also; abhipaatitaaH = struck down; samyugeShu = in battles.
"Both those brothers (Rama and Lakshmana), on seeing him now in fury, will get perturbed. Indeed even the four guardians of the world had been frightened by him, who was in fury. Many other enemies were also frightened by him in various battles."
triShu lokeShu ratnaani bhuN^kte chaahR^itya raavaNaH || 92-6-43
vikrame cha bale chaiva naastyasya sadR^isho bhuvi |
43. raavaNaH = Ravana; aahR^itya = having brought; ratnaani = valuable things; triShulokeSu = from the three worlds; bhuNkte cha = enjoys them; naasti = no one; bhuvi = on earth; sadR^ishaH = is equal; asya = to him; vikramecha = i prowess; balechaiva = and strength.
"Fetching precious things existing in all the three worlds, Ravana enjoys them. No one on the earth is equal to him in strength and prowess."
teShaaM saMjalpamaanaanaamashokavanikaaM gataam || 92-6-44
abhidudraava vaidehIM raavaNaH krodhamUrchhitaH |
44. teShaam samjalpamaanaanaam = while the demons were thus talking; raavaNaH = Ravana; krodhamuurchhitaH = who was excited with fury; abhidudraava = rushed towards; vaidehiim = Seetha; gataam = who was present ashoka vanikaam = in the Ashoka grove.
While those demons were thus talking, Ravana who was excited with fury, rushed towards Seetha, who was present in the Ashoka grove.
vaaryamaaNaH susaMkruddhaH suhR^idbhirhitabuddhibhiH || 92-6-45
abhyadhaavata saMkruddhaH khe graho rohiNIm iva |
45. vaarua;aaMaH = (Though) being kept back; suhR^idbhiH = by his companions hitabuddhibhiH = whose minds were set on his welfare; susamkR^iddhaH = Ravana; who was very much enraged; abhyadhaavata = rushed; samkruddhaH grahaH iva = like the enraged Mars; khe = in the sky; (would rush towards); rohiNiim = the constellation Rohini.
Though being kept back by his companions whose minds were set on his welfare, Ravana who was very much enraged, rushed like Mars, in the sky, which would rush towards the constellation, Rohini in fury.
maithilI rakShyamaaNaa tu raakShasIbhiraninditaa || 92-6-46
dadarsha raakShasaM kruddhaM nistriMshavaradhaariNam |
46. aninditaa = the faultless; maithilii tu = Seetha for her part; rakShyamaaNaa = who was being guarded; raakShasiibhiH = by female demons; dadarsha = saw; krudham = the enraged; raakShasam = Ravana; nistrimsha vara dhaariNam = bearing an excellent sword.
The faultless Seetha for her part, who was being guarded by female demons, saw the enraged Ravana who was bearing an excellent sword.
taM nishaamya sanistriMshaM vyathitaa janakaatmajaa || 92-6-47
nivaaryamaaNaM bahushaH suhR^idbhiranivartinam |
47. janakaatmajaa = Seetha; vyathitaa = was perturbed; nishaamya = in seeing; tam = him; sanistrimsham = bearing a sword; anivartanam = and who was not going back; nivaaryamaaNam = eventhough being kept back bahushaH = in many ways; suhR^idbhiH = by his friends.
Seetha was perturbed in seeing him, bearing sword and who was not going back eventhough being kept back in many ways by his friends.
siitaa duHkhasamaaviShTaa vilapantiidamabraviit || 92-6-48
yathaayaM maamabhikruddhaH samabhidravati svayam |
vadhiShyati sanaathaaM maamanaathaamiva durmatiH || 92-6-49
48; 49. siitaa = Seetha; duH khasamaaviShTaa = filled; with grief; vilapantii = while lamenting; abraviit = said to herself; idam = these words; ayam = He; durmatiH = the evl-minded; abhikruddhaH = with fury; yathaa = as; abhidravati = he is rushing; svayam himself; maam = towards me; vadhiShyati = will kill; maam = me; sanaathaam = having a husband; anaathaamiva = as if to make me husband-less.
Filled with sorrow and lamenting, Seetha said to herself as follows: "From the manner in which this fellow himself is rushing towards me in fury, I fear the evil-minded demon is going to kill me, to make me husband-less, even though I have a husband".
bahushashchodayaamaasa bhartaaraM maamanuvrataam |
bhaaryaa bhava ramasyeti pratyaakhyaato dhruvaM mayaa || 92-6-50
so.ayaM maamanupasthaanaad vyaktaM nairaashyamaagataH |
krodhamohasamaaviShTo vyaktaM maaM hantumudyataH || 92-6-51
50; 51. maam = to me; anuvrataam = devoted as I am; bhartaaram = to my husband; chodayaamaasa = he incited; bahushaH = several times; iti = saying; mama bhaaryaa bhavasva = "By my consort!"; saH ayam = he as such; pratyaakhyaataH = was refused; mayaa = by me; dhruvam = firmly; vyaktam aagataH = having been evidently afflicted; nairaashyam = with despair; anupasthaane = on my refusing to wait upon him; udyataH = he is intent; vyaktam = surely; hantum = to kill; maam = me; krodhamohasamaaviShTaH = filled as he was with anger and infatuation.
"He incited me several times, devoted as I am to my husband, saying 'Be my consort!'. He was refused firmly by me. Having been evidently afflicted with despair on my refusing to wait upon him, he is surely intent to kill me, filled as he was with anger and infatuation."
atha vaa tau naravyaaghrau bhraatarau raamalakShmaNau |
mannimittamanaaryeNa samare.adya nipaatitau || 92-6-52
52. athavaa = otherwise; tau bhraatarau raama lakShmaNau = those brothers; Rama and Lakshmana; naravyaaghrau = the foremost of men; nipaatitau = might have been killed; adya = today; samare = in battle; mannimattam = because of me; anaaryeNa = by that vulgar demon.
"Otherwise, that vulgar demon might have killed those brothers, Rama and Lakshmana, the foremost of men, today in battle, because of me."
bhairavo hi mahaannaado raakShasaanaaM shruto mayaa |
bahuunaamiha hR^iShTaanaaM tathaa vikroshataaM priyam || 92-6-53
53. iha = here; bhairavaH = a terrific; mahaan = great; naadaH = sound; babhuunaam raakShasaanaam = of many demons; (shrutaH hi = has indeed been heard; mayaa = by me); hR^iShTaanaam = who were merry; tathaa = and; vikroshataam = roaring; priyam = about a pleasant thing.
"Here, I just heard a terrific great noise of a multitude of demons, who have been jubilant and roaring about a pleasant happening."
aho dhinmannimitto.ayaM vinaasho raajaputrayoH |
athavaa putrashokena ahatvaa raamalakShmaNau || 92-6-54
vidhamiShyati maaM raudro raakShasaH paapanishchayaH |
54. aho = alas; dhik = woe is me; ayam vinaashaH = if that destruction; raajaputrayoH = of the two princes; mannimittaH = was brought about because of me; athavaa = otherwise; raudraH = the terrific; raakShasaH = demon; paapanishchayaH = with a sinful resolve; ahatvaa = having not been able to kill; raama lakShmaNau = Rama and Lakshmana; vidhamiSyati = is going to kill; maam = me; putrashokena = because of the grief over his son's death.
"Alas! Woe is me, if that destruction of the two princes was brought about because of me. Otherwise, the terrific demon of a sinful resolve, having not been able to kill Rama and Lakshmana, is going to kill, me, because of the grief over his son's death."
hanUmato hi tadvaakyaM na kR^itaM kShudrayaa mayaa || 92-6-55
yadyahaM tasya pR^iShThena tadaayaasamaninditaa |
naadyaivamanushocheyaM bharturaMkagataa satI || 92-6-56
55; 56. tat vaalua; = those words; hanuumataH = of Hanuma; na kR^itam = were not acted upon; mayaa = by me; kShudrayaa = having a low mind; aham ayaasam yadi = If I left; tadaa = on that day; tasya pR^iShThena = on his back; anirjitaa = though not won back (by my husband); anushocheyam = I would not have grieved; adya evam = as I am doing in his manner today; bhartuH aN^kagataa satii = as I should be resting on the lap of my husband (in that case).
"Those words of Hanuma were not acted upon by me, having a low mind. If I left on that day on his back, though not won back by my husband, I would not have grieved like this today, as I should be resting on the lap of my husband (in that case)."
manye tu hR^idayaM tasyaaH kausalyaayaaH phaliShyati |
ekaputraa yadaa putraM vinaShTaM shroShyate yudhi || 92-6-57
57. yadaa shroShyate = when she hears; putram = that her son; vinaShTam = is dead; yudhi = in battle; manye = I think; hR^idayam = the heart; tasyaaH kausalyaaH = of that Kausalya; ekaputraa = who had only one son; phaliShyati = will get burst.
"I think that the heart of that Kausalya will get burst, when the lady, who had only one son, hears of her son having been killed in battle."
saa hi janma cha baalyaM cha yauvanaM cha mahaatmanaH |
dharmakaaryaaNi rUpaM cha rudatI saMsramiShyati || 92-6-58
58. rudatii = while lamenting; saa = she; samsmariShyati = would be recollecting; janmacha = about the birth; baalyam cha = childhood; yauvanamcha = youth; dharmakaaryaaNi = the righteous acts; ruupam cha = and the handsome form; mahaatmanaH = of the great-souled Rama.
"While lamenting, Kausalya will vividly recall about the birth, childhood, youth, the righteous acts and the handsome form of the great-souled Rama."
niraashaa nihate putre dattvaa shraaddhamachetanaa |
agnimaarokShyate nUnamapo vaapi pravekShyati || 92-6-59
59. putre nihate = when her son is killed; (Kausalya); niraashaa = becomes despondent; achetanaa = unconscious; dattvaa = after observing; shraaddham = a ceremony in honour of her dead son; nuunam = and certainly; aavekShyate = will enter; agnim = the flame; pravekShyati vaapi = or even be drowned into; aapaH = water.
"Having observed a ceremony in honour of her deceased son and getting despondent and unconscious, Kausalya will surely enter the flame or be drowned in water."
dhigastu kubjaamasatIM mantharaaM paapanishchayaam |
yannimittamidaM duHkhaM kausalyaa pratipatsyate || 92-6-60
60. dhik astu = woe be; kubjaam = to the hunch-back; asatiim = and unfaithful; mantharaam = Manthara; paapanishchayaam = of sinful resolve; yannimittam = on whose consequence; kausalyaa = Kausalya; pratipadyate = will obtain; imam shokam = this grief.
"Woe be to the unfaithful hunch-back Manthara, of sinful resolve, on whose consequence, Kausalya will get this grief."
ityevaM maithilIM dR^iShTvaa vilapantIM tapasvinIm |
rohiNImiva chandreNa vinaa grahavashaM gataam || 92-6-61
etasminnantare tasya amaatyaH shiilavaan shuchiH |
supaarshvo naama medhaavI raavaNaM raakShaseshvaram || 92-6-62
nivaaryamaaNaM sachivairidaM vachanamabravIt |
61; 62. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; mailthiliim = Seetha; ityevam = thus; vilapantiim = weeping; tapasviniim = miserably; rohiNiim iva = like Rohini (the deity presiding over a constellation of this name); graha vasham gatam = fallen under the sway of the planet Mars; chandreNa vinaa = when away of the moon-god (her husband); amaatyaH = a minister; supaarshvo naama = called Suparshva; shiilavaan = a good natured; shuchiH = upright; medhaavii = highly intelligent demon; nivaaryamaaNaH = eventhough restrained; sachivaiH = by other ministers; abraviit = spoke; idam vachanam = these words; raavaNam = to Ravana; rakShasaam varam = the foremost of demons.
Seeing Seetha miserably weeping in that manner like Rohini (the deity presiding over a constellation of this name), fallen under the sway of the planet Mars, when away of the moon-god (her husband), a minister called Suparshva, a good-natured, upright and highly intelligent demon, even though restrained by other ministers, spoke the following words Ravana, the foremost of demons:
kathaM naama dashagrIva saakShaadvaishravaNaanuja || 92-6-63
hantumichchhasi vaidehIM krodhaaddharmamapaasya hi |
63. dashagriiva = O Ravana; vaishraavaNaanuja = the younger brother of Kubera; saakShaat = himself!; katham = how; ichchhasi = do you wish; hantum = to kill; vaidehiim = Seetha; apaasya = abandoning; dharmam = your righteousness; krodhaat = in a bout of anger?
"O Ravana, the younger brother of Kubera himself! How do you wish to kill Seetha, abandoning your righteousness, in a bout of anger?"
veda vidyaavrata snaataH svadharmanirataH sadaa || 92-6-64
striyaaH kasmaadvadhaM vIra manyase raakShaseshvara |
64. viira raakShaseshvara = O valiant king of demons!; kamaat = why; manyase = are you thinking;vadham = destroying; striyaH = a lady; veda vidyaavratasnaataH = ever since you completed the vow of celibacy essential for a study of the Vedic lore; tathaa = and; svakarmanirataH = were devoted to your own duty?
"O valiant king of demons! Why are you thinking of destroying a lady, ever since you completed the vow of celibacy essential for a study of the Vedic lore and were devoted to your own duty?"
maithilIM rUpasampannaaM pratyavekShasva paarthiva || 92-6-65
tasminneva sahaasmaabhI raaghave krodhamutsR^ija |
65. paarthiva = O king!; pratya vekShasva behold at; maithiliim = Seetha; ruua sampannaam = endowed with beauty; asmaabhiH saha = together with us; utsR^ija = release; krodham = your anger; aahave = in battle; tasminneva = on Rama alone.
"O king! Behold at Seetha, endowed, as she is, with beauty. Together with us, release your anger, in battle, on Rama alone."
abhyutthaanaM tvamadyaiva kR^iShNapakShachaturdashIm || 92-6-66
kR^itvaa niryaahyamaavaasyaaM vijayaaya balairvR^itaH |
66. kR^itvaa = making; abhyutthaanam = yourself ready; adyaiva = today itself; kR^iShNa pakShachaturdashiim = the fourteenth day of the dark half of this month; tvam = you; vR^itaH = along with; balaiH = the armies; niryaahi = sally forth; amaavaasyaam = tomorrow; the moonless day; vijayaaya = to victory.
"Making yourself ready today itself, the fourteenth day of the dark half of this month, you along with the armies, sally forth tomorrow, the moonless day, to victory."
shUro dhImaanrathI khaDgI rathapravaramaasthitaH || 92-6-67
hatvaa daasharathiM raamaM bhavaanpraapsyati maithilIm |
67. shuuraH = a valiant; dhiimaan = and shrewd; rathii = chariot-warrior; khaDgii = fighting with a sword; ratha pravaram aasthitaH = in the foremost of your chariots; bhavaan praapsyasi = you can get; maithiliim = Seetha; hatvaa = by killing; raamam = Rama; daasharathim = the son of Dasaratha.
"As a valiant and shrewd chariot-warrior, fighting with a sword, in the foremost of your chariots, you can fetch Seetha by killing Rama, the son of Dasaratha."
sa tadduraatmaa suhR^idaa niveditaM |
vachaH sudharmyaM pratigR^ihya raavaNaH |
gR^ihaM jagaamaatha tatashcha vIryavaan |
punaH sabhaaM cha prayayau suhR^idvR^itaH || 92-6-68
68. pratigR^iya = accepting; vachaH = that advice; sudharmyam = endowed with justice; niveditam = tendered; suhR^idaa = by a friend; duraatmaa = the evil-minded; raavaNaH = Ravana; jagaama = went; gR^iham = his palace; atha = thereafter; viiryavaan = that valiant Ravana; suhR^idvR^itaH = along with his friends; punaH = again; prayayau = went; sabhaam cha = to his assembly-hall; tataH = from there.
Accepting that advice, endowed with justice, tendered by a friend, the evil-minded Ravana went to his palace. Thereafter, that valiant Ravana, along with his friends, again went to his assembly hall from there.
- - -
ityaarShe shriimadraamaayaNe aadikaavye yuddhakaaNDe dvinavatitamaH sargaH
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© January 2009, K. M. K. Murthy