Lakshmana and Vibhishana approach Rama and inform him that Indrajit's head has been chopped off. Rama was delighted with the news and applauds Lakshmana, by embracing him. Rama gets Lakshmana and others treated by Sushena. After the medical treatment by Suhena, Lakshmana becomes sound, active and full of joy.
रुधिरक्लिन्नगात्रस्तु लक्ष्मणः शुभलक्षणः |
बभूव हृष्टस्तं हत्वा शक्रजेतारमाहवे || ९१-६-१
1. lakShmaNaH = Lakshmana; shubhalakShaNaH = endowed with auspicious body marks; rudhiraklinnagaatraH = and with his limbs drenched in blood; hatvaa = having killed; tam = that; shakrajetaaram = Indrajit; aahave = in the combat; babhuuva = felt; hR^iShTaH = rejoiced.
Lakshmana, endowed with auspicious bodily marks, whose limbs were drenched in blood, felt rejoiced on having killed Indrajit in combat.
ततः स जाम्बवन्तं च हनूमन्तं च वीर्यवान् |
संनिवर्त्य महातेजास्तांश्च सर्वान्वनौकसः || ९१-६-२
आजगाम ततः शीघ्रं यत्र सुग्रीवराघवौ |
विभीषणमवष्टभ्य हनूमन्तं च लक्ष्मणः || ९१-६-३
2; 3. samnipatya = having offered his salutation; jaambavantam = to Jambavan; hanuumantashcha = Hanuma; sarvaan taan = and all those; vanaukasaH = monkeys; saH viiryavaan = that valiant; lakShmaNaH = Lakshmana; mahaatejaaH = of great brilliance; tataH = from there; aajagaama = came; tataH = then; shiighram = quickly; yatra sugriiva raaghavau = to the place where Sugreeva and Rama were there; avaShTabhya = leaning himself upon; vibhiiShaNan hanuumantam cha = Vibhishana and Hanuma.
Having offered salutation to Jambavan, Hanuma and all those monkeys, that valiant Lakshmana of great brilliance then quickly came from there to the place where Sugreeva and Rama were there, by leaning himself upon vibhishana and Hanuma.
ततो राममभिक्रम्य सौमित्रिरभिवाद्य च |
तस्थौ भ्रातृसमीपस्थः शक्रस्येन्द्रानुजो यथा || ९१-६-४
4. abhivaadya cha = having offered his salutation; abhikramya = and approaching; raamam = Rama; tasthau = (he) stood; bhraatru samiipasthaH = in the vicinity of his brother; indra anujoyathaa = even as Lord Vamana (the younger brothre of Indra); shakrasya = (would stand beside) Indra.
Having offered his salutation and approached Rama, Lakshmana stood beside his brother, even as Lord Vamana (the younger brother of Indra) would stand beside Indra the lord of celestials.
निष्ठनन्निव चागत्य राघवाय महात्मने |
आचचक्षे तदा वीरो घोरमिन्द्रजितो वधम् || ९१-६-५
5. tadaa = then; viiraH = the valiant Lakshmana; aagatya = arriving at; mahaatmane raaghavaaya = the great souled Rama; aachachakShe = told (him); niShTananniva = in a mumering tone; ghoram vadham = about the terrible destroyal; indrajitaH = of Indrajit.
Then, the valiant Lakshmana, arriving at the great-souled Rama, told him in a murmering tone (as he was feeling tiresome) about the terrific destroyal of Indrajit.
रावणस्तु शिरश्छिन्नं लक्ष्मणेन महात्मना |
न्यवेदयत रामाय तदा हृष्टो विभीषणः || ९१-६-६
6. tadaa = then; hR^iShTaH = the rejoiced; vibhiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; nyavedayata = informed (in a clear tone); raamaaya = to Rama; raavaNeH shiraH = (that) Indrajit's head; chhinnam = had been chopped off; mahaatmanaa lakShmaNena = by the great-souled Lakshamna.
Then, the rejoiced Vibhishana informed (in a clear tone) to Rama that Indrajit's head had been chopped off by the great-souled Lakshaman.
श्रुत्वैव तु महावीर्यो लक्ष्मणेनेन्द्रजिद्वधम् |
प्रहर्षमतुलं लेभे वाक्यं चेदमुवाच ह || ९१-६-७
7. shrutvaiva tu = just on hearing; indrajidvadham = about the killing of Indrajit; lakSmaNena = by Lakshmana; mahaaviiryaH = Rama of great prowess; lebhe = obtained; atulam = immeasurable; praharSham = joy; uvaacha ha = and spoke; idam vaakyam cha = the follwing words:
Just on hearing the news about the killing of Indrajit by Lakshmana, Rama of great prowess obtained immesurable joy and spoke the following words
साधु लक्ष्मण तुष्टोऽस्मि कर्म चासुकरं कृतम् |
रावणेर्हि विनाशेन जितमित्युपधारय || ९१-६-८
8. lakShmaNa = O Lakshmana!; saadhu = well done!; tuShTaH asmi = I feel gratified; asukaram karma = an ardous act; kR^itam = has been done; upadhaaraya = consider it; jitam iti = as our victory; raavaNeH vinaashena = through the destroyal of Indrajit.
"O Lakshmana! Well done! I feel gratified. An ardous act has been done. Consider it as our victory, through the destroyal of Indrajit.
स तं शिरस्युपाघ्राय लक्ष्मणं कीर्तिवर्धनम् |
लज्जमानं बलात्स्नेहादङ्कमारोप्य वीर्यवान् || ९१-६-९
उपवेश्य तमुत्सङ्गे परिष्वज्यावपीडितम् |
भ्रातरं लक्ष्मणं स्निग्धं पुनः पुनरुदैक्षत || ९१-६-१०
9; 10. upaaghraaya = smelling; shirasi = the head; tam lakSmaNam = of that Lakshmana; kiirti vardhanam = who had augmented his fame; lajjamaanam = and yet who was feeling abashed (to hear himself being praised); balaat = forcibly; aaropya = drawing him; aN^kam = to his lap; upaveshya = and placing; tam bhraataram lakShmaNam = that Lakshmana his younger brother; utsaN^ge = in his lap; snehaat = with affection; avapiiDitam = wounded as he was; saH viiryavaan = that valiant Rama; pariShvajya = having embraced him; udaikShata = tenderly gazed upon him; snigdham = affectionately; punaH punaH = again and again.
Smelling the head of that Lakshmana, who had augmented his fame and yet who was feeling abashed (to hear himself being praised), forcibly drawing him to his lap and placing that Lakshmana his younger brother in his lap with affection, wounded as he was, that valiant Rama, having embraced him, tenderly gazed upon him affectionately again and again.
शल्यसंपीडितं शस्तं निःश्वसन्तं तु लक्ष्मणम् |
रामस्तु दुःखसंतप्तं तं तु निःश्वासपीडितम् || ९१-६-११
मूर्ध्नि चैनमुपाघ्राय भूयः संस्पृश्य च त्वरन् |
उवाच लक्ष्मणं वाक्यमाश्वास्य पुरुषर्षभः || ९१-६-१२
11; 12. upaaghraaya = smelling; bhuuyaH = once more; muurdhni = the head of; tam = that; lakShmaNam = Lakshmana; shalya sampiiDitam = who was feeling tormented by the arrows that had penetrated into his body; shastam = who had been wounded; niH shvasantam = who was breathing hard; lakShmaNam = who was endowed with auspicious characterestics; duHkhasamtaptam = was afflicted with agony; niHshvaasa piiDitam = and was feeling pained at the time of respiration; tvaran = and hurriedly; samspR^ishya = stroking him; aashvaasya = and restoring im to confidence; raamaH = Rama; puruSharShabhaH = the foremost among men; uvaacha = spoke; vaakyam = (the following) words:
Smelling once more the head of that Lakshmana, who was feeling tormented by the arrows that had penetrted into his body, who had been wounded, who was breathing heard, who was endowed with auspicious characterestics, was afflicted with agony and was feeling paine dat the time of respiration, and hurriedly stroking him as well as restoring confidence in him, Rama the foremost among men spoke the following words:
कृतं परमकल्याणं कर्म दुष्करकारिणा |
अद्य मन्ये हते पुत्रे रावणम् निहतं युधि || ९१-६-१३
13. parama kaLyaaNam karma = an extremely noble act; kR^itam = was done; duShkarma karmaNaa = by you; a doer of difficult things; adya = now; putre = that his son; hate = having been killied; manye = I account; raavaNam = Ravana; nihatam = to have been killed; yudhi = in battle.
"An extremely noble act was performed by you, a doer of difficult things. Now, that his son having been killed, I account Ravana to have been killed in battle."
अद्याहं विजया शत्रौ हते तस्मिन् दुरात्मनि |
रावणस्य नृशंसस्य दिष्ट्या वीर त्वया रणे || ९१-६-१४
चिन्नो हि दक्षिणो बाहुः स हि तस्य व्यपाश्रयः |
विभीषणहनूमद्भ्यां कृतं कर्म महद्रणे || ९१-६-१५
14; 15. tasmin = as that; duraatmani = evil-minded; shatrau = enemy; hate = has been killed; aham = I; vijayii = (become) victorious; viira = O valiant Lakshmana!; diShTyaa = fortunately; dakShiNaH = the right; baahuh = hand; nR^ishamsasya raavaNasya = of the cruel Ravana; chhinnohi = indeed has beenchopped off; tvayaa = by you; tasya = to that Ravana; saH = Indrajit; vyapaashrayaH hi = is indeed the support; mahat raNe = in that great battle; mahat karma = a great feat; kR^itam = was performed; vibhiiShaNa hanudbhyaam = by Vibhishana and Hanuma.
"As that evil-minded enenmy has been killed, I become victorious. O valiant Lakshmana! Fortunately, you indeed severed the right hand of the cruel Ravana. Indrajit is indeed the support for that Ravana. Vibhishana and Hanuma too performed a great feat in the great battle."
अहोरात्रैस्त्रिभिर्वीरः कथंचिद्विनिपातितः |
निरमित्रः कृतोऽस्म्यद्य निर्यास्यति हि रावणः || ९१-६-१६
बलव्यूहेन महता श्रुत्वा पुत्रं निपातितम् |
16. tribhiH ahoraatraiH = in the course of three days and nights; viiraH = the valiant Indrajit; vinipaatitaH = was felled down; katham chit = somehow; adya = now; kR^itaH asmi = I have been made; niramitraH = free from enemies; shrutvaa = hearing; puNam = his son; nipaatitam = having been felled down; niryaasyati hi = Ravana will indeed come forth; mahataa = with a great; balavyuuhena = and powerful battle-array.
"In the course of three days and nights, the valiant Indrajit was felled down somehow. Now, I have been made free of enemies. Hearing of his son having been struck down, Ravana will indeed come forth with a great and powerful battle-array."
तं पुत्रवधसन्तप्तं निर्यान्तं राक्षसाधिपम् || ९१-६-१७
बलेनावृत्य महता निहनिष्यामि दुर्जयम् |
17. aavR^itya = by encircling; tam raakShasaadhipam = that Ravana; durjayam = who is difficult to be conquered; mahataa balena = with a great army; nihaniShyaami = I will kill him; niryaantam = who is coming forth; putravadha santaptam = feeling distressed of his son's killing.
"By encircling that Ravana, who is difficult to be conquered, with a great army, I will kill him, who is coming forth with a feeling of distress for the death of his son."
त्वया लक्ष्मण नाथेन सीता च पृथिवी च मे || ९१-६-१८
न दुष्प्रापा हते त्वद्य शक्रजेतरि चाहवे |
18. lakShmaNa = O Lakshmana!; tasmin shakrajetari = as that Indrajit; hate = has been killed; aahave = in battle; tvayaa = by you; naathena = who are my protector; na siitaacha pR^ithiviicha = neither Seetha nor this earth; duShpraapaa = is hard to attain.
"O Lakshmana! As that Indrajit has been killed in battle by you, who are my protector, neither Seetha nor this entire earth is hard to attain."
स तं भ्रातरमाश्वास्य पारिष्वज्य च राघवः || ९१-६-१९
रामः सुषेणं मुदितः समाभाष्येदमब्रवीत् |
19. aarhvaasya = consoling; tam bhraataram = that younger brother; pariShvajya cha = and having embraced him; saH raamaH = that Rama; raaghavaH = who was born in Raghu dynasty; muditaH = was delighted; samaabhaaShya = and calling; suSheNam = Seshena; abraviit = spoke; idam = the following words:
Having thus consoled Lakshmana and having embraced him, that Rama who was born in Raghu-dynansty, was duly delighted and by calling Sushena, spoke to him the following words:
सशल्योऽयं महाप्राज्ञः सौमित्रिर्मित्रवत्सलः || ९१-६-२०
यथा भवति सुस्वस्थस्तथा त्वं समुपाचर |
20. tvam = you; samupaachara = attend upon; mitravatsalaH = who is fond of friends; sashalyaH = and who is wounded; yathaa tathaa = so that; bhavati = he will become; susvasthaH = perfectly well; mahaapraajJNaH = O highly intelligent one!.
"O highly intelligent one! You attend upon this wounded Lakshmana, who is fond of frinds, so that he will become perfectly well in health."
विशल्यः क्रियतां क्षिप्रं सौमित्रिः सविभीषणः || ९१-६-२१
कृष वानरसैन्यानां शूराणां द्रुमयोधिनाम् |
ये चान्येऽत्र च युध्यन्तः सशल्या व्रणिनस्तथा || ९१-६-२२
तेऽपि सर्वे प्रयत्नेन क्रियन्तां सुखिनस्त्वया |
21; 22. lakShmaNaH = (Let) Lakshmana; savibhiiShaNaH = along with Vibhishana; kShipram kriyataam = be qickly made; vishalyaH = free of pain caused by the arrows that have penetrated into their body; te anye sarve. api = let all other too; R^ikShavaanara sainyaanaam shuuraaNaam = among the gallant bear and monkey-warrior; drumayodhinaam = fighting with trees; yacha yudhyanti = who have gought on the battle-field; atra = here; sa shalyaaH tathaa vraNinaH = and stand pierced with arrows and wunded; sukhinaH kriyantaam = be healed; tathaa = in the same way; prayatnena = with great care.
Let Lakshmana along with Vibhishana be quickly made free from pain caused by the arrows that have penetrated into their body. Let all others too among the gallant bear and monkey-warriors fighting with trees who have fought on the battle-field here and stand pierced with arrows and owunded, be healed in the same way with great care."
एवमुक्तः स रामेण महात्मा हरियूथपः || ९१-६-२३
लक्ष्मणाय ददौ नस्तः सुषेणः परमौषधम् |
23. evam uktaH = thus commanded; raameNa = by Rama; saH mahaatmaH = that great souled; suSheNaH = Sushena; hariyuuthapaH = the monkey-cheif; dadau = gave; paramauShadham = an excellent medicine; nastaH = through nose; lakShmaNaaya = to Lakshmana.
As commanded by Rama, the great-souled Sushena, the monkey-cheif gave an excellent medicine through nose to Lakshmana.
स तस्य गन्धमाघ्राय विशल्यः समपद्यत || ९१-६-२४
तदा निर्वेदनश्चैव संरूढव्रण एव च |
24. aaghraaya = inhaling; tasya gandham = the odour of that herb; saH = Lakshmana; samapadyata = became; vishalyaH = healed of the arrow-wounds; nirvedanashchaiva = free from pains; samruuDha vraNa eva cha = and his wounds got completely cured.
Inhaling the odour of that herb, Lakshmana became healed of the arrow-wounds, free from pains and his wounds got completely cured.
विभीषण मुखानां च सुहृदां राघवाज्ञया || ९१-६-२५
सर्ववानरमुख्यानां चिकित्सां स तदाकरोत् |
25. raaghavaajJNayaa = as per Rama's orders; (Sushena); tadaa = then; chikitsaamaakarot = treated; suhR^idaam = his companions; vibhiiShaNa mukhaanaam = like Vibhishana and others; sarva vaanara mukhyaanaam = ncluding all the monkey-chiefs.
As per the order of Rama, Sushena then treated his companions like Vibhishana and others including all the monkey-chiefs.
ततः प्रकृतिमापन्नो हृतशल्यो गतव्यथः || ९१-६-२६
सौमित्रिर्मुदितस्तत्र क्षणेन विगतज्वरः |
26. tataH = then; hR^ita shalyaH = with his arrow-wounds healed; gataklamaH = his tiresomeness gone; vigatajvaraH = and his feverishness cured; kShaNena = within a moment; saumitriH = Lakshaman; aapannaH = having restored; prakR^itim = his original disposition; mumude = felt joyful; tatra = there.
Then, with his arrow-wounds healed, his fatigue gone and his feverishness cured within a moment, Lakshmana having restored his original disposition, felt joyful there.
तथैव रामः प्लवगाधिपस्तदा |
विभीषणश्चर्क्षपतिश्च जाम्बवान् |
अवेक्ष्य सौमित्रिमरोगमुत्थितं |
मुदा ससैन्यः सुचिरं जहर्षिरे || ९१-६-२७
27. tadaiva = then; avekShya = seeing; saumitrim = Lakshmana; utthitam = standing up; arogam = healthy; raamaH = Rama; tathaa = and; plavangaadhipaH = Sugreeva; vibhiiShana; viiryaavaan = the valiant; R^ikShapatishcha = Jambavan; sa sainyaah = along with the army; jaharShire = were rejoiced; suchiram = for a long time.
Then, on seeing Lakshmana standing up with sound health, Rama, Sugreeva, Vibhishana and the valiant Jambavan along with the army were rejoiced for a long time.
अपूजयत्कर्म स लक्ष्मणस्य |
सुदुष्करं दाशरथिर्महात्मा |
बभूव हृष्टा युधि वानरेन्द्रो |
निशम्य तं शक्रजितं निपातितम् || ९१-६-२८
28. mahaatmaa = great-souled; saH daasharathiH = that Rama; apuujayat = praised; suduShkaram karma = the very ardous feat; lakShmaNasya = of Lakshmana; nishamya = hearing; tam shakrajitam = that Indrajit; nipaatitam = having been killed; yudhi = in battle; vaanarendraH = Sugreeva; babhuuva = became; hR^iShTaH = delighted.
That great-souled Rama apllauded the ardous feat of Lakshmana. Hearing of Indrajit having been kille din battle, Sugreeva became delighted.
- - -
इत्यार्षे श्र्रिमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे एकनवतितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© January 2009, K. M. K. Murthy