Sumantra was unable to console Kausalya, who lied on the floor due to her extreme grief over her separation from Rama, even though he tries to avert her grief by telling her that Rama can reside in the forest delightfully, by warding off his agony.
ततो निकुम्भो रभसः सूर्य शत्रुर् महाबलः |
सुप्तघ्नो यज्ञ कोपः च महापार्श्वो महाउअरः || ६-९-१
अग्नि केतुः च दुर्धर्षो रश्मि केतुः च राक्षसः |
इन्द्रजिच् च महातेजा बलवान् रावण आत्मजः || ६-९-२
प्रहस्तो अथ विरूप अक्षो वज्र दम्ष्ट्रो महाबलः |
धूम्र अक्षः च अतिकायः च दुर्मुखः चैव राक्षसः || ६-९-३
परिघान् पट्टसान् प्रासान् शक्ति शूल परश्वधान् |
चापानि च सबाणानि खड्गामः च विपुलान् शितान् || ६-९-४
प्रगृह्य परम क्रुद्धाः समुत्पत्य च राक्षसाः |
अब्रुवन् रावणम् सर्वे प्रदीप्ता इव तेजसा || ६-९-५
1-5. tataH = then; nikumbhaH = Nikumbha; rabhasaH = Rabhasa; mahaabalaH = exceedingly strong; suurya shatruH = Suryasatru; suptaghnaH = Suptaghna; yaGYa kopaH = Yajnakopa; mahaapaarsva mahodarau = Mahaparsva and Mahodara; durdharshhaH = the unconquerable raakSasaaH = demons; agniketuH ca = Agniketu and; rashmiketuH ca = Rasmiketu; tataH = then; balavaan = pweful; mahaatejaa = and endowed with great energy; raavaNaatmajaH = son of Ravana; indrajichya = Indrajit; athaH = and; prahasthaH = Prahasta; viruupaakSaH; Virupaksha; mahaabalaH = the extraordinarily strong; vajradamSTraH = Vajradamstra; dhuumraakSashcha = Dhumraksha; atikaayashcha = Atikaya; raakSasaH = and the demon; durmukhashchaiva = named Durmukha; pragR^ihya = carrying; pathishaan = iron clubs; parighaan = sharp-edged spears; shuulaan = spikes; praasaan = darts; shaktiparashvathaan = javelins and axes; chaapaani = bows; sabaaNaani = with excellent arrows; khadgaamshcha = and swords; vipulaambubhaan = shining like a vast expanse of water; sarve = who were all; parama kruddhaaH = extremely enraged; pradiiptaaH iva = flaming as it were; tejasaaH = with glory; raakSasaaH = (those)demons; samutpatya = rose up abruvan = (and) spoke; raavaNam = to Ravana (as follows).
Then, Nikumbha, Rabhasa, the exceedingly strong Surya satru, Suptaghna, Yaj~akopa, Mahaparsva and Mahodara, the unconquerable demons Agniketu and Rasmiketu, then the powerful son of Ravana named Indrajit endowed with great energy, Prahasta and Virupaksha, Vajradamstra who was extraordinarily strong, Dhumarksha and Atikaya and the demon by name Durmukha, carrying iron clubs, sharp-edged spears, spikes, darts, javelins and axes, bows with excellent arrows and swords shining like a vast expanse of water, and who were all extremely enraged, and flaming as it were with glory, those demons rose up and spoke to Ravana (as follows).
अद्य रामम् वधिष्यामः सुग्रीवम् च सलक्ष्मणम् |
कृपणम् च हनूमन्तम् लंका येन प्रधर्षिता || ६-९-६
6. adya = now itself; vadhiSyaamaH = we shall kill; raamam = Rama; sahalakSmaNam = along with Lakshmana; sugriivam ca = and Sugreeva; kR^ipaNam = and the pitiable; hanuumantam = Hanuma; yena = by whom; la.nkaa = Lanka; pradharSitaa = was attacked.
"Now itself, we shall kill Rama along with Lakshmana and Sugreeva as well as the pitiable Hanuma by whom Lanka was attacked."
तान् गृहीत आयुधान् सर्वान् वारयित्वा विभीषणः |
अब्रवीत् प्रान्जलिर् वाक्यम् पुनः प्रत्युपवेश्य तान् || ६-९-७
7. vibhiiSaNaH = Vibhishana; vaarayitvaa = restraining; taan sarvaan = all those; gR^ihiita aayudhaan = who were made to seize weapons; pratyupaveshya = were made to sit again; abraviit = and spoke; vaakyam = (these) words; praanjaliH = with joined palms.
Vibhishana (Ravana's youngest half-brother) restraining all those who were made to seize weapons, were made to sit again by saluting them with joined palms and spoke as follows:
अपि उपायैस् त्रिभिस् तात यो अर्थः प्राप्तुम् न शक्यते |
तस्य विक्रम कालांस् तान् युक्तान् आहुर् मनीषिणः || ६-९-८
8. taata = dear brother; yaH = which; arthaH = act; na shakyate = cannot; praaptum = be accomplished; tribhiH = by three; upaayais api = strategies too; tasya = that act; aahuH = is said; yuktaan = to be suitable; nikramakaalaan = occasion for displaying prowess maniiSiNaH = by wise men.
"Dear brother! That act which cannot be accomplished by three well-known strategies (viz . conciliation, gift and sowing dissention) , is only then to be accomplished by exhibiting prowess, as stated by wise men."
प्रमत्तेष्व् अभियुक्तेषु दैवेन प्रहतेषु च |
विक्रमास् तात सिध्यन्ति परीक्ष्य विधिना कृताः || ६-९-९
9. taata = Oh ; brother; pramatteSu = in respect of indifferent people; abhiyukteShu = in those who have been attacked by an enemy; prahateSu ca = in those who were struck down; daivena = by fate; vikramaaH = the gallantries; kR^itaH = performed; vidhinaa = according to precept; pariikSya = after being examined carefully; sidhyanti = succeed.
"The gallantries performed according to the prescribed precept, after being tested, O dear brother, only succeed against those who are indifferent, who have been already attacked by an enemy or who stand struck down by fate."
अप्रमत्तम् कथम् तम् तु विजिगीषुम् बले स्थितम् |
जित रोषम् दुराधर्षम् प्रधर्षयितुम् इच्चथ || ६-९-१०
10. katham = how; icchatha = do you wish; dharSayitum = to attack; tam = that famous; tam = Rama; apramattam = who is attentive; vijigiiSum = who has subdued his anger; duraadharSam = and who is difficult to be conquered.
"How do you wish to attack that famous Rama, who is always attentive, who has a will to conquer, who is established in strength, who has subdued his anger and who is difficult to be conquered."
समुद्रम् लन्घयित्वा तु घोरम् नद नदी पतिम् |
कृतम् हनुमता कर्म दुष्करम् तर्कयेत कः || ६-९-११
11. kaH = who; vidyaat = can know; tarkayeta vaa = or even imagine; loke = in the world; hanumataH = Hanuma's; gatim = speed; langhayitvaa = in crossing; ghoram = the formidable; samudram = ocean; nada nadii patim = the lord of streams and rivers?
"Who can conceive or even imagine in this world, that Hanuma's speed in crossing the formidable ocean, which is the lord of streams and rivers?"
बलानि अपरिमेयानि वीर्याणि च निशा चराः |
परेषाम् सहसा अवज्ञा न कर्तव्या कथंचन || ६-९-१२
12. nishaacaraaH = O; demons; balaani = the strength; viiryaaNi ca = and the abilities; pareSaam = of the enemies; aparimeyaani = are difficult to be measured; na kartavyaa = they cannot be treated; avajJNyaa = with contempt; sahasaa = hastily; kathamcana = by any means.
"O, demons! The strength and the abilities of the enemies are difficult to be measured. They cannot be treated with contempt hastily by any means."
किम् च राक्षस राजस्य रामेण अपकृतम् पुरा |
आजहार जन स्थानाद् यस्य भार्याम् यशस्विनः || ६-९-१३
13. kim = what; apakR^itam = offence (was done); puraa = earlier; raakSasaraajasya = to the king of demons; yashashvinaH = by the illustrious; raameNa = Rama; yasya = whose; bhaaryaam = wife; aajahaara = (he) bore away; janasthaanaat = firm janasthana?"
"What offence was done earlier to the king of demons by the illustrious Rama, whose wife that he bore away from Janasthana?"
खरो यदि अतिवृत्तस् तु रामेण निहतो रणे |
अवश्यम् प्राणिनाम् प्राणा रक्षितव्या यथा बलम् || ६-९-१४
14. kharaH = Khara; ativR^ittaH = who has gone beyond his limits; nihataH yadi = was of course killed; raameNa = by Rama; raNe = in an encounter; praaNaaH = lives; avashyam = certainly; rakSitavyaaH = are to be protected; yathaa balam = according to one's own strength; praaNinaam = by living beings."
"Khara, who has gone beyond limits, was of course killed by Rama in an encounter. Lives are certainly to be protected, according to one's own strength, by living beings."
एतन् निमित्तम् वैदेही भयम् नः सुमहद् भवेत् |
आहृता सा परित्याज्या कलह अर्थे क्ऱ्ते न किम् || ६-९-१५
15. etan nimittam = for this reason; sumahat = a very great; vaidehii bhayam = danger because of Seetha; bhavet = will occur; naH = to us; saa = she; aahR^itaa = who was brought; parityaajyaa = is to be given up; kim = what is the use; kR^ite na = in doing anything; kalaha arthe = with an animosity as an end?.
"For this reason, a very great danger because of Seetha will occur to us. She, who was brought here, is to be given away. What is the use in doing anything, with an animosity as an end?"
न नः क्षमम् वीर्यवता तेन धर्म अनुवर्तिना |
वैरम् निरर्थकम् कर्तुम् दीयताम् अस्य मैथिली || ६-९-१६
16. na naH kSamam = It is not appropriate; kartum = to make; vairam = enmity; nirarthakam = uselessly; tena = with Rama; viiryavataa = who is valiant; dharma anuvartinaa = and who follows; righteousness = maithilii = (let) Seetha; diiyataam = be given away; asya = to him.
"It is not appropriate to make enmity uselessly with Rama, who is valiant and who follows righteousness. Let Seetha be given away to him."
यावन् सगजाम् साश्वाम् बहु रत्न समाकुलाम् |
पुरीम् दारयते बाणैर् दीयताम् अस्य मैथिली || ६-९-१७
17. yaavan = before; puriim = the city of Lanka; sagajaam = along with elephants; saashvaam = with horses; bahu ratna samaakulaam = and filled with many riches; daarayate = are shattered; maithilii = (let) Seetha; diiyataam = be given away; asya = to him.
Before the City of Lanka with its elephants, horses and many riches are shattered by arrows, let Seetha be given away to him."
यावत् सुघोरा महती दुर्धर्षा हरि वाहिनी |
न अवस्कन्दति नो लंकाम् तावत् सीता प्रदीयताम् || ६-९-१८
18. na yaavat taavat = not so long as; mahatii = the huge; harivaahinii = army of monkeys; sughoraa = which is very dangerous; durdharSaa = and unconquerable; naavaskandati = attacks; naH = our; la.nkaam = Lanka; siitaa = (let) Seetha; pradiiyataam = be given away.
"Not so long as the huge army of monkeys which is very dangerous and unconquerable attacks our Lanka, let Seetha be given away."
विनश्येद्द् हि पुरी लंका शूराः सर्वे च आक्षसाः |
रामस्य दयिता पत्नी न स्वयम् यदि दीयते || ६-९-१९
19. dayitaa = (If) the beloved; patnii = wife; raamasya = of Rama; na diiyate yadi = is not given away; svayam = of your own accord; la.nkaa purii = the City of Lanka; vinshyet hi = will indeed; perish; sarve = all; shuuraaH = the valiant; raakSasaashca = demons too(will perish).
"If the beloved wife of Rama is not given away of your own accord, the city of Lanka will indeed perish. All our valiant demons too will Perish."
प्रसादये त्वाम् बन्धुत्वात् कुरुष्व वचनम् मम |
हितम् पथ्यम् त्व् अहम् ब्रूमि दीयताम् अस्य मैथिली || ६-९-२०
20. prasaadaye = I am propitiating; tvaam = you; bandhutvaat = because of my relationship; kuruSva = act on; mama = my; vachanam = words; aham = I; bruumi = am telling; hitam = the beneficial; tvaham tu = and the truthful (word); maithilii = (let) Seetha; diiyataam = be given away; asya = to him.
"I am propitiating you because of my relationship. Act on my words. I am telling you beneficial as well as truthful word. Let Seetha be given away to him."
पुरा शरत् सूर्य मरीच्चि सम्निभान् |
नव अग्र पुन्खान् सुदृढान् नृप आत्मजः |
सृजति अमोघान् विशिखान् वधाय ते |
प्रदीयताम् दाशरथाय मैथिली || ६-९-२१
21. puraa = before; nR^ipa aatmajaH = Rama the prince; sR^ijati = discharges; te vadhaaya te = for your destruction; sudR^iDhaan = very strong; vishikhaan = arrows; sharat suurya mariicci samnibhaan = equal to the rays of autumnal sun; nava agra punkhaan- provided with new heads and shafts; amoghaan = which are unfailing; maithilii = (let) Seetha; pradiiyataam = be given away; daasharathaaya = to Rama.
"Before Rama the prince discharges for your destruction, very strong and unfailing arrows equal to the rays of autumnal sun and provided with new heads and shafts, let Seetha be given away to Rama."
त्यजस्व कोपम् सुख धर्म नाशनम् |
भजस्व धर्मम् रति कीर्ति वर्धनम् |
प्रसीद जीवेम सपुत्र बान्धवाः |
प्रदीयताम् दाशरथाय मैथिली || ६-९-२२
22. tyaja = abandon; aashu = soon; kopam = anger; sukha dharma naashanam = which destroys; happiness and piety; bhajasva = resort to; dharmam = righteousness; rati kiirti vardhanam = which augments joy and fame; prasiida = become placid; jiivema = we shall live; saputra baandhavaaH = with our sons and relatives; maithilii = (let) Seetha; pradiiyataam = be given away; daasharathaaya = to Rama.
"Abandon soon your anger, which destroys happiness and piety. Resort to righteousness, which augments joy and fame. Become placid so that we may live with our sons and relatives. Let Seetha be given away to Rama."
विभीषणवचः श्रुत्वा रावणो राक्षसेश्वरः |
विसर्जयित्वा तान् सर्वान् प्रैवेश स्वकम् गृहम् || ६-९-२३
23. shrutvaa = having; vibhiiSaNaH vachaH = Vibhishana's words; raavaNaH = Ravana; raakSaseshvaraH = the king of demons; visarjayitvaa = left; sarvaan = all; taan = of them; pravivesha = and entered; svakam = his own; gR^iham = house.
After hearing Vibhishana's words, Ravana the king of demons left all of them and entered his own palace.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामयणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे नवमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© June 2003, K. M. K. Murthy