Sumantra was unable to console Kausalya, who lied on the floor due to her extreme grief over her separation from Rama, even though he tries to avert her grief by telling her that Rama can reside in the forest delightfully, by warding off his agony.
tato nikumbho rabhasaḥ sūrya śatrur mahābalaḥ |
suptaghno yajña kopaḥ ca mahāpārśvo mahāuaraḥ || 6-9-1
agni ketuḥ ca durdharṣo raśmi ketuḥ ca rākṣasaḥ |
indrajic ca mahātejā balavān rāvaṇa ātmajaḥ || 6-9-2
prahasto atha virūpa akṣo vajra damṣṭro mahābalaḥ |
dhūmra akṣaḥ ca atikāyaḥ ca durmukhaḥ caiva rākṣasaḥ || 6-9-3
parighān paṭṭasān prāsān śakti śūla paraśvadhān |
cāpāni ca sabāṇāni khaḍgāmḥ ca vipulān śitān || 6-9-4
pragṛhya parama kruddhāḥ samutpatya ca rākṣasāḥ |
abruvan rāvaṇam sarve pradīptā iva tejasā || 6-9-5
1-5. tataH = then; nikumbhaH = Nikumbha; rabhasaH = Rabhasa; mahaabalaH = exceedingly strong; suurya shatruH = Suryasatru; suptaghnaH = Suptaghna; yaGYa kopaH = Yajnakopa; mahaapaarsva mahodarau = Mahaparsva and Mahodara; durdharshhaH = the unconquerable raakSasaaH = demons; agniketuH ca = Agniketu and; rashmiketuH ca = Rasmiketu; tataH = then; balavaan = pweful; mahaatejaa = and endowed with great energy; raavaNaatmajaH = son of Ravana; indrajichya = Indrajit; athaH = and; prahasthaH = Prahasta; viruupaakSaH; Virupaksha; mahaabalaH = the extraordinarily strong; vajradamSTraH = Vajradamstra; dhuumraakSashcha = Dhumraksha; atikaayashcha = Atikaya; raakSasaH = and the demon; durmukhashchaiva = named Durmukha; pragR^ihya = carrying; pathishaan = iron clubs; parighaan = sharp-edged spears; shuulaan = spikes; praasaan = darts; shaktiparashvathaan = javelins and axes; chaapaani = bows; sabaaNaani = with excellent arrows; khadgaamshcha = and swords; vipulaambubhaan = shining like a vast expanse of water; sarve = who were all; parama kruddhaaH = extremely enraged; pradiiptaaH iva = flaming as it were; tejasaaH = with glory; raakSasaaH = (those)demons; samutpatya = rose up abruvan = (and) spoke; raavaNam = to Ravana (as follows).
Then, Nikumbha, Rabhasa, the exceedingly strong Surya satru, Suptaghna, Yaj~akopa, Mahaparsva and Mahodara, the unconquerable demons Agniketu and Rasmiketu, then the powerful son of Ravana named Indrajit endowed with great energy, Prahasta and Virupaksha, Vajradamstra who was extraordinarily strong, Dhumarksha and Atikaya and the demon by name Durmukha, carrying iron clubs, sharp-edged spears, spikes, darts, javelins and axes, bows with excellent arrows and swords shining like a vast expanse of water, and who were all extremely enraged, and flaming as it were with glory, those demons rose up and spoke to Ravana (as follows).
adya rāmam vadhiṣyāmaḥ sugrīvam ca salakṣmaṇam |
kṛpaṇam ca hanūmantam laṃkā yena pradharṣitā || 6-9-6
6. adya = now itself; vadhiSyaamaH = we shall kill; raamam = Rama; sahalakSmaNam = along with Lakshmana; sugriivam ca = and Sugreeva; kR^ipaNam = and the pitiable; hanuumantam = Hanuma; yena = by whom; la.nkaa = Lanka; pradharSitaa = was attacked.
"Now itself, we shall kill Rama along with Lakshmana and Sugreeva as well as the pitiable Hanuma by whom Lanka was attacked."
tān gṛhīta āyudhān sarvān vārayitvā vibhīṣaṇaḥ |
abravīt prānjalir vākyam punaḥ pratyupaveśya tān || 6-9-7
7. vibhiiSaNaH = Vibhishana; vaarayitvaa = restraining; taan sarvaan = all those; gR^ihiita aayudhaan = who were made to seize weapons; pratyupaveshya = were made to sit again; abraviit = and spoke; vaakyam = (these) words; praanjaliH = with joined palms.
Vibhishana (Ravana's youngest half-brother) restraining all those who were made to seize weapons, were made to sit again by saluting them with joined palms and spoke as follows:
api upāyais tribhis tāta yo arthaḥ prāptum na śakyate |
tasya vikrama kālāṃs tān yuktān āhur manīṣiṇaḥ || 6-9-8
8. taata = dear brother; yaH = which; arthaH = act; na shakyate = cannot; praaptum = be accomplished; tribhiH = by three; upaayais api = strategies too; tasya = that act; aahuH = is said; yuktaan = to be suitable; nikramakaalaan = occasion for displaying prowess maniiSiNaH = by wise men.
"Dear brother! That act which cannot be accomplished by three well-known strategies (viz . conciliation, gift and sowing dissention) , is only then to be accomplished by exhibiting prowess, as stated by wise men."
pramatteṣv abhiyukteṣu daivena prahateṣu ca |
vikramās tāta sidhyanti parīkṣya vidhinā kṛtāḥ || 6-9-9
9. taata = Oh ; brother; pramatteSu = in respect of indifferent people; abhiyukteShu = in those who have been attacked by an enemy; prahateSu ca = in those who were struck down; daivena = by fate; vikramaaH = the gallantries; kR^itaH = performed; vidhinaa = according to precept; pariikSya = after being examined carefully; sidhyanti = succeed.
"The gallantries performed according to the prescribed precept, after being tested, O dear brother, only succeed against those who are indifferent, who have been already attacked by an enemy or who stand struck down by fate."
apramattam katham tam tu vijigīṣum bale sthitam |
jita roṣam durādharṣam pradharṣayitum iccatha || 6-9-10
10. katham = how; icchatha = do you wish; dharSayitum = to attack; tam = that famous; tam = Rama; apramattam = who is attentive; vijigiiSum = who has subdued his anger; duraadharSam = and who is difficult to be conquered.
"How do you wish to attack that famous Rama, who is always attentive, who has a will to conquer, who is established in strength, who has subdued his anger and who is difficult to be conquered."
samudram langhayitvā tu ghoram nada nadī patim |
kṛtam hanumatā karma duṣkaram tarkayeta kaḥ || 6-9-11
11. kaH = who; vidyaat = can know; tarkayeta vaa = or even imagine; loke = in the world; hanumataH = Hanuma's; gatim = speed; langhayitvaa = in crossing; ghoram = the formidable; samudram = ocean; nada nadii patim = the lord of streams and rivers?
"Who can conceive or even imagine in this world, that Hanuma's speed in crossing the formidable ocean, which is the lord of streams and rivers?"
balāni aparimeyāni vīryāṇi ca niśā carāḥ |
pareṣām sahasā avajñā na kartavyā kathaṃcana || 6-9-12
12. nishaacaraaH = O; demons; balaani = the strength; viiryaaNi ca = and the abilities; pareSaam = of the enemies; aparimeyaani = are difficult to be measured; na kartavyaa = they cannot be treated; avajJNyaa = with contempt; sahasaa = hastily; kathamcana = by any means.
"O, demons! The strength and the abilities of the enemies are difficult to be measured. They cannot be treated with contempt hastily by any means."
kim ca rākṣasa rājasya rāmeṇa apakṛtam purā |
ājahāra jana sthānād yasya bhāryām yaśasvinaḥ || 6-9-13
13. kim = what; apakR^itam = offence (was done); puraa = earlier; raakSasaraajasya = to the king of demons; yashashvinaH = by the illustrious; raameNa = Rama; yasya = whose; bhaaryaam = wife; aajahaara = (he) bore away; janasthaanaat = firm janasthana?"
"What offence was done earlier to the king of demons by the illustrious Rama, whose wife that he bore away from Janasthana?"
kharo yadi ativṛttas tu rāmeṇa nihato raṇe |
avaśyam prāṇinām prāṇā rakṣitavyā yathā balam || 6-9-14
14. kharaH = Khara; ativR^ittaH = who has gone beyond his limits; nihataH yadi = was of course killed; raameNa = by Rama; raNe = in an encounter; praaNaaH = lives; avashyam = certainly; rakSitavyaaH = are to be protected; yathaa balam = according to one's own strength; praaNinaam = by living beings."
"Khara, who has gone beyond limits, was of course killed by Rama in an encounter. Lives are certainly to be protected, according to one's own strength, by living beings."
etan nimittam vaidehī bhayam naḥ sumahad bhavet |
āhṛtā sā parityājyā kalaha arthe kRte na kim || 6-9-15
15. etan nimittam = for this reason; sumahat = a very great; vaidehii bhayam = danger because of Seetha; bhavet = will occur; naH = to us; saa = she; aahR^itaa = who was brought; parityaajyaa = is to be given up; kim = what is the use; kR^ite na = in doing anything; kalaha arthe = with an animosity as an end?.
"For this reason, a very great danger because of Seetha will occur to us. She, who was brought here, is to be given away. What is the use in doing anything, with an animosity as an end?"
na naḥ kṣamam vīryavatā tena dharma anuvartinā |
vairam nirarthakam kartum dīyatām asya maithilī || 6-9-16
16. na naH kSamam = It is not appropriate; kartum = to make; vairam = enmity; nirarthakam = uselessly; tena = with Rama; viiryavataa = who is valiant; dharma anuvartinaa = and who follows; righteousness = maithilii = (let) Seetha; diiyataam = be given away; asya = to him.
"It is not appropriate to make enmity uselessly with Rama, who is valiant and who follows righteousness. Let Seetha be given away to him."
yāvan sagajām sāśvām bahu ratna samākulām |
purīm dārayate bāṇair dīyatām asya maithilī || 6-9-17
17. yaavan = before; puriim = the city of Lanka; sagajaam = along with elephants; saashvaam = with horses; bahu ratna samaakulaam = and filled with many riches; daarayate = are shattered; maithilii = (let) Seetha; diiyataam = be given away; asya = to him.
Before the City of Lanka with its elephants, horses and many riches are shattered by arrows, let Seetha be given away to him."
yāvat sughorā mahatī durdharṣā hari vāhinī |
na avaskandati no laṃkām tāvat sītā pradīyatām || 6-9-18
18. na yaavat taavat = not so long as; mahatii = the huge; harivaahinii = army of monkeys; sughoraa = which is very dangerous; durdharSaa = and unconquerable; naavaskandati = attacks; naH = our; la.nkaam = Lanka; siitaa = (let) Seetha; pradiiyataam = be given away.
"Not so long as the huge army of monkeys which is very dangerous and unconquerable attacks our Lanka, let Seetha be given away."
vinaśyedd hi purī laṃkā śūrāḥ sarve ca ākṣasāḥ |
rāmasya dayitā patnī na svayam yadi dīyate || 6-9-19
19. dayitaa = (If) the beloved; patnii = wife; raamasya = of Rama; na diiyate yadi = is not given away; svayam = of your own accord; la.nkaa purii = the City of Lanka; vinshyet hi = will indeed; perish; sarve = all; shuuraaH = the valiant; raakSasaashca = demons too(will perish).
"If the beloved wife of Rama is not given away of your own accord, the city of Lanka will indeed perish. All our valiant demons too will Perish."
prasādaye tvām bandhutvāt kuruṣva vacanam mama |
hitam pathyam tv aham brūmi dīyatām asya maithilī || 6-9-20
20. prasaadaye = I am propitiating; tvaam = you; bandhutvaat = because of my relationship; kuruSva = act on; mama = my; vachanam = words; aham = I; bruumi = am telling; hitam = the beneficial; tvaham tu = and the truthful (word); maithilii = (let) Seetha; diiyataam = be given away; asya = to him.
"I am propitiating you because of my relationship. Act on my words. I am telling you beneficial as well as truthful word. Let Seetha be given away to him."
purā śarat sūrya marīcci samnibhān |
nava agra punkhān sudṛḍhān nṛpa ātmajaḥ |
sṛjati amoghān viśikhān vadhāya te |
pradīyatām dāśarathāya maithilī || 6-9-21
21. puraa = before; nR^ipa aatmajaH = Rama the prince; sR^ijati = discharges; te vadhaaya te = for your destruction; sudR^iDhaan = very strong; vishikhaan = arrows; sharat suurya mariicci samnibhaan = equal to the rays of autumnal sun; nava agra punkhaan- provided with new heads and shafts; amoghaan = which are unfailing; maithilii = (let) Seetha; pradiiyataam = be given away; daasharathaaya = to Rama.
"Before Rama the prince discharges for your destruction, very strong and unfailing arrows equal to the rays of autumnal sun and provided with new heads and shafts, let Seetha be given away to Rama."
tyajasva kopam sukha dharma nāśanam |
bhajasva dharmam rati kīrti vardhanam |
prasīda jīvema saputra bāndhavāḥ |
pradīyatām dāśarathāya maithilī || 6-9-22
22. tyaja = abandon; aashu = soon; kopam = anger; sukha dharma naashanam = which destroys; happiness and piety; bhajasva = resort to; dharmam = righteousness; rati kiirti vardhanam = which augments joy and fame; prasiida = become placid; jiivema = we shall live; saputra baandhavaaH = with our sons and relatives; maithilii = (let) Seetha; pradiiyataam = be given away; daasharathaaya = to Rama.
"Abandon soon your anger, which destroys happiness and piety. Resort to righteousness, which augments joy and fame. Become placid so that we may live with our sons and relatives. Let Seetha be given away to Rama."
vibhīṣaṇavacaḥ śrutvā rāvaṇo rākṣaseśvaraḥ |
visarjayitvā tān sarvān praiveśa svakam gṛham || 6-9-23
23. shrutvaa = having; vibhiiSaNaH vachaH = Vibhishana's words; raavaNaH = Ravana; raakSaseshvaraH = the king of demons; visarjayitvaa = left; sarvaan = all; taan = of them; pravivesha = and entered; svakam = his own; gR^iham = house.
After hearing Vibhishana's words, Ravana the king of demons left all of them and entered his own palace.
- - - -
ityārṣe śrīmadrāmayaṇe ādikāvye yuddhakāṇḍe navamaḥ sargaḥ
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© June 2003, K. M. K. Murthy
What the world says about
who and verse
Secure SFTP (SSH) on the planet Go FTP FREE Program