Vibhishana comes to Lakshmana and beholds Rama having fallen into a swoon and lying in the lap of Lakshmana. Lakshmana informs Vibhishana that on hearing the words of Hanuma saying that Seetha was killed by Indrajit, Rama fell into a swoon. Telling Rama the secret of conjuring trick practiced by Indrajit in killing an illusory image of Seetha, Vibhishana assures him of Seetha being still alive and urges him to send Lakshmana with an army to the sanctuary of Nikumbhila.
राममाश्वासयाने तु लक्ष्मणे भ्रातृवत्सले |
निक्षिप्य गुल्मान्स्वस्थाने तत्रागच्छद्विभीषणः || ६-८४-१
1. lakShmaNe = (While) Lakshmana; bhraatR^ivatsale = who was fond of his brother; aashvaasamaane = was consoling; raamam = Rama; vibhiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; nikShipya = keeping; gulmaan = the division of his army; svasthaane = in their respective positions; aagachchhat = arrived; tatra = there.
While Lakshmana, who was so fond of his brother, was consoling Rama, Vibhishana, keeping the troops of simian army in their respective positions, arrived there.
नानाप्रहरणैर्वीरैश्चतुर्भिः सचिवैर्वृतः |
नीलाञ्जनचयाकारैर्मातङ्गैरिव यूथपः || ६-८४-२
सोऽभिगम्य महात्मानं राघवं शोकलालसं |
वानरांश्चैव ददृशे बाष्पपर्याकुलेक्षणान् || ६-८४-३
2; 3. saH = that Vibhishana; abhivR^itaH = surround; chaturbhiH viiraiH = by four warriors; naanaapraharaNaiH = wielding many types of weapons; yuuthapaiH = who were chiefs of troops; niilaaNjana chaakaaraiH = who looked like heaps of black collyrium; maataN^gaiH iva = and who were appearing like elephants; abhigamya = approaching; mahaatmaanam = the great souled; raaghavam = Lakshmana; shokalaalasam = who was totally absorbed in sorrow; dadR^ishe = saw; vaanaraamshchaapi = even the monkeys; baaShpaparyaakulekShaNaan = having their eyes filled with tears.
That Vibhishana, surrounded by four warriors, wielding many types of weapons, and who were chiefs of troops, looking like heaps of black collyrium and who were appearing like elephants, approached Lakshmana who was totally engrossed in sorrow and saw the monkeys also, whose eyes were filled with tears.
राघवं च महात्मानमिक्ष्वाकुकुलनन्दनम् |
ददर्श मोहमापन्नं लक्ष्मणस्याङ्कमाश्रितम् || ६-८४-४
4. dadarsha cha = (Vibhishana) also saw; mahaatmaanam = the great souled Rama; ikShvaakukulanandanam = the delight of Ikshvaku dynasty; moham aapannam = fallen into a swoon; aashritam = and resting on; aN^kam = the lap; lakShmaNasya = of Lakshmana.
Vibhishana also saw the great-souled Rama, the delight of Inkshvaku dynasty fallen into a swoon and resting on the lap of Lakshmana.
व्रीडितं शोकसन्तप्तं दृष्ट्वा रामं विभीषणः |
अन्तर्दुःखेन दीनात्मा किमेतदिति सोऽब्रवीत् || ६-८४-५
5. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; vriiDitam = the embarrassed; raamam = Rama; shokasantaptam = tormented with grief; saH vibhiiShaNaH = that Vibhishana; diinaatmaa = distressed in spirits; duHkhena = with agony; antaH = inside; abraviit = asked him; kim etat iti = "What is this?"
On seeing the embarrassed Rama, tormented with grief, that Vibhishana, distressed as he was in spirits, with agony inside, asked him, "What is this?"
विभीषण मुखं दृष्ट्वा सुग्रीवं तांश्च वानरान् |
उवाच लक्ष्मणो वाक्यमिदं बाष्पपरिप्लुतः || ६-८४-६
6. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; viibhiishaNamukham = Vibhishana's face; sugriivam = Sugreeva; taan vaanaraamshcha = and those mokeys; lakShmaNaH = Lakshmana; baaShpa pariplutaH = with tears pouring down; uvaacha = spoke; idam = thse words; mandaartham = with splendid meaning.
Fixing his gaze on Vibhishana's face and looking at Sugreeva and those monkeys, Lakshmana with tears pouring down, spoke the following words, with a splendid meaning:
हतामिन्द्रजिता सीतामिह श्रुत्वैव राघवः |
हनूमद्वचनात्सौम्य ततो मोहमुपागतः || ६-८४-७
7. saumya = O gentle Sir!; shrutvaiva = just after hearing; hanumadvachanaat = from the words of Hanuma; iti = that; siitaa = Seetha; hataa = was killed; indrajitaa = by Indrajit; raaghavah = Rama; tataH = then; upaagataH = entered into; moham = a swoon.
"O gentle Sir! Just on hearing through the words of Hanuma, saying that Seetha was killed by Indrajit, Rama entered into a swoon."
कथयन्तं तु सौमित्रिं संनिवार्य विभीषणः |
पुष्कलार्थमिदं वाक्यं विसंज्ञं राममब्रवीत् || ६-८४-८
8. samnivaarya = Intercepting; saumitram = Lakshmana; kathayantam = who was thus narrating; vibhiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; abraviit = spoke; idam = the following; puShkalaartham = amply meaningful; vaakyam = words; raamam = to Rama; visamJNjam = who was unconscious.
Intercepting the narrating Lakshmana in the middle, Vibhishana spoke the following amply meaningful words to Rama, who was in an unconscious state.
मनुजेन्द्रार्तरूपेण यदुक्तस्त्वं हनूमता |
तदयुक्तमहं मन्ये सागरस्येव शोषणम् || ६-८४-९
9. aham = I; manye = think; yat tat = that which; tvam = you; uktaH = have been told; hanuumataa = by Hanuma; aartaruupeNa = with a sorrowful temper; manujendra = Oruler of men; ayuktam = is absurd; shoShaNam iva = as the drying up; saagarasya = of the sea.
"I hold that which you have been told by Hanuma with a sorrowful temper, O ruler of men, to be absurd as the drying up of the sea."
अभिप्रायं तु जानामि रावणस्य दुरात्मनः |
सीतां प्रति महाबाहो न च घातं करिष्यति || ६-८४-१०
10. mahaabaaho = O; the long-armed!; jaanaami = I know; abhipraayam = the design; duraatmanaH raavaNasya = of the evil-mined Ravana; siitaam prati = towards Seetha; na kariShyati = He would never do; ghaatam = the killing (of Seetha).
"O the long armed! I know the design of the evil-minded Ravana towards Seetha. He would never do the killing of Seetha."
याच्यमानः सुबहुशो मया हितचिकीर्षुणा |
वैदेहीमुत्सृजस्वेति न च तत्कृतवान्वचः || ६-८४-११
11. yaachyamaanaH = eventhough begged; mayaa = by me; hitachikiirShuNaa = the well-wisher; subahushaH = several times; utsR^ijasva iti = to give up; vaidehiim = Seetha; na kR^itavaan = he did not heed; tat vachaH = that advice.
"Eventhough begged by me, the well-wisher, several times to give up Seetha, he did not heed that advice."
नैव साम्ना न भेदेन न दानेन कुतो युधा |
सा द्रष्टुमपि शक्येत नैव चान्येन केन चित् || ६-८४-१२
12. na shakyeta = It is neither possible; draShTum api = even to see; saa = her; saamnaa = by conciliation; na daanena = nor by bestowing gifts; na bhedena = nor by sowing dissention; kutaH = how is it possible; yudhaa = by a war?; naiva = It is not possible; anyena kenachit = by any other strategy.
"It is neither possible even to see her by recourse to conciliation nor by bestowing gifts nor by sowing dissention. How is it possible then by a war? By any other strategy, it is impossible."
वानरान्मोहयित्वा तु प्रतियातः स राक्षसः |
मायामयीं महाबाहो तां विद्धि जनकात्मजाम्| ६-८४-१३
13. saH raakShasaH = that Indrajit; pratiyaataH = retracted; mohayitvaa = by hoodwinking; vaanaraan = the monkeys; mahaabaaho = O long armed!; viddhi = know; taam jaanakaatmajaam = that Seetha (who was seemingly killed by him); maayaamayiim = as unreal.
"That Indrajit for his part retracted, by hoodwinking the monkeys. O the long armed! Know that Seetha (who was seemingly killed by him) as illusory."
चैत्यं निकुम्भिलां नाम यत्र होमं करिष्यति |
हुतवानुपयातो हि देवैरपि सवासवैः || ६-८४-१४
दुराधर्षो भवत्येष सङ्ग्रामे रावणात्मजः |
14. praapya = after reaching; chaityam = a sanctuary; nikumbhilaamnaama = by name; Nikumbhila; eShaH raavaNaatmajaH = this Indrajit; homam kariShyati = will pour oblations into the sacred fire; hutavaan upayaataH = on returning after pouring oblations into the sacred fire (Indrajit); bhavati duraadharShaH = will prove difficult to be overcome; samgraame = in battle; devairapi = even by celestials; sa vaasavaiH = including Indra.
"After reaching a sanctuary by name Nikumbhila, this Indrajit will pour oblations into the sacred fire. On returning after pouring oblations into the sacred fire, Indrajit will prove difficult to be overcome in battle, even by celestials including Indra."
तेन मोहयता नूनमेषा माया प्रयोजिता || ६-८४-१५
विघ्नमन्विच्छता तात वानराणां पराक्रमे |
15. nuuam = certainly; eShaa = this; maayaa = conjuring trick (in the form Seetha); prayojitaa = was exhibited; tena = by him; mohayataa = who was employing magical art; anvichchhataa = expecting; vighnam = interruption; paraakrame = by the prowess; vaanaraaNaam = of the monkeys; tatra = there.
"Certainly, this conjuring trick (in the form of killing an illusory living effigy of Seetha) was exhibited by him, who was employing his magical art, expecting interruption by the prowess of the monkeys there."
ससैन्यास्तत्र गच्छामो यावत्तन्न समाप्यते || ६-८४-१६
त्यजेमं नरशार्दूलमिथ्या सन्तापमागतम् |
सीदते हि बलं सर्वं दृष्ट्वा त्वां शोककर्शितम् || ६-८४-१७
16; 17. yaavat = before which time; tat = that act of offering oblations in the sacred fire; na samaapyate = is not completed; (within that time); gachchhaama = we shall go; tatra = there; sasainyaaH = along with an army; narashaarduula = O the foremost of men!; tyaja = give up; enam = this; mithyaa santaapam = improper grief; aagatam = has come upon (you); dR^iShTvaa = on seeing; tvaam = you; shokakarshitam = tormented by grief; sarvam = all; balam = the army; siidatehi = is indeed sinking into despondency.
"While the sacrificial performance is not ended, we shall proceed to that place, along with an army. O the foremost of men! Give up this improper grief, which has come upon you. Seeing you tormented with grief, the entire army is sinking into despondency."
इह त्वं स्वस्थ हृदयस्तिष्ठ सत्त्वसमुच्छ्रितः |
लक्ष्मणं प्रेषयास्माभिः सह सैन्यानुकर्षिभिः || ६-८४-१८
18. tvam = you; tiShTha = stay; iha = here; svasthahR^idayaH = confident at heart; sattvasamuchchhritaH = and exalted in courage; preShaya = send; lakShmaNam = Lakshmana; asmaabhiH saha = with us; sainyaanukarShibhiH = who are summoning an army.
"Very exalted as you are in courage, stay you here, confident at heart, and send Lakshmana with us, who are taking an army along with us."
एष तं नरशार्दूलो रावणिं निशितैः शरैः |
त्याजयिष्यति तत्कर्म ततो वध्यो भविष्यति || ६-८४-१९
19. eShaH = this Lakshmana; narashaarduulaH = the eminent prince; raavaNim tyaajayiShyati = can make Indrajit abandon; tat = that; karma = act of sacrifice; nishitaiH sharaiH = by his sharp arrows; tataH = then; bhaviShyati vadhyaH = he will be susceptible to be killed.
"This Lakshmana, the eminent prince, can make Indrajit abandon that act of sacrifice, by employing his sharp arrows. Then, he will be susceptible of being killed."
तस्यैते निशितास्तीक्ष्णाः पत्रिपत्राङ्गवाजिनः |
पतत्रिण इवासौम्याः शराः पास्यन्ति शोणितम् || ६-८४-२०
20. ete sharaaH = these arrows; nishitaaH = which are sharp; tiikShaNaaH = fiery; patripatraaN^ga vaajinaH = with a speed equal to the speed of the wings of a bird; paasyanti = can drink; tasya shoNitam = his blood; asaumyaaH patatriNaH iva = like unlovely birds.
"Lakshmana's arrows, which are sharp and fiery, with a speed equal to the wings of a bird, can drink his blood like cruel birds."
तत्सन्दिश महाबाहो लक्ष्मणं शुभलक्षणम् |
राक्षसस्य विनाशाय वज्रं वज्रधरो यथा || ६-८४-२१
21. mahaabaaho = O the long-armed one!; tat = therefore; samdisha = dispatch; lakShmaNam = Lakshmana; shubhalakShaNaH = having auspicious body-marks; vajradhvaH yathaa = as Indra the lord of celestials; vajram (employed) the thunderbolt; vinaashaaya = for the destruction; raakShasasya = of Indrajit.
"O the long-armed one! Therefore, dispatch Lakshmana having auspicious body-marks even as Indra the lord of celestials employed the thunderbolt to kill Indrajit."
मनुजवर न कालविप्रकर्षो |
रिपुनिधनं प्रति यत्क्षमोऽद्य कर्तुम् |
त्वमतिसृज रिपोर्वधाय बाणीम् |
असुरपुरोन्मथने यथा महेन्द्रः || ६-८४-२२
22. manujavara = O the best of men!; yat = for which reason; na kShamaH = it is not appropriate; kartum kaala viprakarShaH = to delay; ripunidhanam prati = the killing of the enemy; adya = at this time; (for that reason); tvam atisR^ija vaaNiim = you grant permission in your words; ripoH vadhaaya = to destroy the enemy; mahendraH yathaa = as Indra; divijaripoH madhane = (hurl his thunderbolt) to destroy the enemies of celestials.
"O the best of men! It is not appropriate to delay the killing of the enemy any further now. Therefore, grant permission to Lakshmana to destroy the enemy, as Indra would hurl his thunderbolt to destroy the enemies of celestials."
समाप्तकर्मा हि स राक्षसेन्द्रो |
भवत्यदृश्यः समरे सुरासुरैः |
युयुत्सता तेन समाप्तकर्मणा |
भवेत्सुराणामपि संशयो महान् || ६-८४-२३
23. saH raakShasaR^iShabhaH = that foremost among demons; samaapta karma = having completed the sacrifice; adR^ishyaH bhavati hi = he will indeed be invisible; suraasuraiH = to celestials and demons; samara = in battle; suraaNaamapi = even the celestials; bhavet mahaa samshayaH = feel a great doubt; tena = of him; samaaptakarmaNaa = who has completed the sacrifice; yuyutsataa = and has an intent to fight.
"If that Indrajit, the foremost of demons completes the sacrifice, he would not be visible even to the celestials and the demons in battle. If he come with a desire to fight, after ending that sacrifice, the celestials also will feel a great suspicion on their own lives."
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे चतुरशीतितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© November 2008, K. M. K. Murthy