Led by Hanuma, the monkeys fight with the demons in battle with trees and rocks. On seeing his army seriously hurt, Indrajit releases a number of arrows and kills some monkeys. Hanuma destroys some terrible demons with trees and rocks. Later, Hanuma along with his army returns to the presence of Rama. Indrajit pours oblations into the sacred fire at the santuary of Nikumbhila.
श्रुत्वा तं भीमनिर्ह्रादं शक्राशनिसमस्वनम् |
वीक्षमाणा दिशः सर्वा दुद्रुवुर्वानरर्षभाः || ६-८२-१
1. shrutvaa = hearing; bhiimanirhraadam = that terrific roar; shakraashanisamasvanam = equal to the sound of Indra's thunderbolt; vaanaraaH = the monkeys; viikShamaaNaaH = looking (hither and thither); dudruvuH = ran away; bhR^isham = very much; sarvaaH dishaH = towards all directions.
Hearing that terrific roar, similar to the sound of Indra's thunderbolt, the monkeys looking hither and thither, ran away in all directions.
तानुवाच ततः सर्वान्हनूमान्मारुतात्मजः |
विषण्णवदनान्दीनांस्त्रस्तान्विद्रवतः पृथक् || ६-८२-२
2. tataH = then; hanumaan = Hanuma; maarutaatmajaH = the son of wind-god; uvaacha = spoke; taan sarvaan = to all those monkeys; vidravat = who were running away; pR^ithak = widely apart; viShaNNavadanaan = looking dejected; diinaan = miserable; traptaan = and frightened.
Then, Hanuma the son of wind-god spoke (as follows) to all those monkeys, who were running away widely apart, looking dejected, miserable and frightened.
कस्माद्विषण्णवदना विद्रवध्वं प्लवङ्गमाः |
त्यक्तयुद्धसमुत्साहाः शूरत्वं क्व नु वो गतम् || ६-८२-३
3. plavaN^gamaaH = O monkeys!; kasmaat = why; vidravadhvam = are you running away; viShaNNavadanaaH = looking dejected; tyakta yuddha samutsaahaaH = and leaving your zeal to fight?; kva = where; vaH shuuratram = has your valour; gatam = gone?
"O, monkeys! Why are you running away, looking dejected and leaving your zeal to fight? Where has your valour gone?"
पृष्ठतोऽनुव्रजध्वं मामग्रतो यान्तमाहवे |
शूरैरभिजनोपेतैरयुक्तं हि निवर्तितुम् || ६-८२-४
4. anuvrajadhvam = come along closely; pR^iShThataH = behind; maam = me; yaantam = while I am marching ahead; agrataH = in front; aahave = in the battle; shuuraiH = for the valiant; abhijanopetaiH = who have betaken themselves in a good family; ayuktam hi = it is indeed not proper; nivartitum = to shrink back.
"Come along closely behind me, while I am marching ahead in the battle. For the valiant who are born in a good family, it is not indeed proper to shrink back from the battle."
एवमुक्ताः सुसङ्क्रुद्धा वायुपुत्रेण धीमता |
शैलशृङ्गान्द्रुमांश्चैव जगृहुर्हृष्टमानसाः || ६-८२-५
5. evam = thus; uktaaH = spoken; dhiimataa vaayuputreNa = by the wise Hanuma; hR^iShTa maanasaaH = the monkeys in a cheerful mood; jagR^ihuH = took hold; shailashR^iN^gaan = of mountain-peaks; drumaan chaiva = and trees; snsamkruddhaaH = in a great fury together.
Hearing the words of that wise Hanuma, the monkeys in a cheerful mood, took hold of mountain-peaks and trees in a great fury.
अभिपेतुश्च गर्जन्तो राक्षसान्वानरर्षभाः |
परिवार्य हनूमन्तमन्वयुश्च महाहवे || ६-८२-६
6. vaanara rShabhaaH = the foremost of monkeys; garjantaH = while roaring; abhipetuH = rushed towards; raakShasaan = the demons; anvayuH = they followed; parivaarya = by surrounding; hanuumantam = Hanuma; mahaahave = in that great battle.
The foremost of monkeys, while roaring, rushed towards the demons. They followed him, by surrounding Hanuma on all sides, in that great battle.
स तैर्वानरमुख्यैस्तु हनूमान्सर्वतो वृतः |
हुताशन इवार्चिष्मानदहच्छत्रुवाहिनीम् || ६-८२-७
7. saH hanumaan = that Hanuma; vR^itaH = being surrounded; sarvataH = on all sides; taiH vaanaramukhyaiH = by those monkey-chiefs; adahat = scorched; shatruvaahinim = that army of adversaries; archiShmaan hutaashanaH iva = like a flaming fire.
That Hanuma, being surrounded by those monkey-chiefs on all sides, began to consume that army of adversaries as a flaming fire.
स राक्षसानां कदनं चकार सुमहाकपिः |
वृतो वानरसैन्येन कालान्तकयमोपमः || ६-८२-८
8. saH mahaakapiH = that Hanuma; vR^itaH = accompanied; vaanara sainyena = by his army of monkeys; chakre = brought about; kadanam = the destroyal; raakShasaanaam = of demons; kaalaantaka yamopamaH = like Yama the lord of death does at the time of universal dissolution.
That Hanuma, accompanied by his army of monkeys, brought about the destruction of demons, as Yama the lord of death does at the time of universal dissolution.
स तु शोकेन चाविष्टः क्रोधेन च महाकपिः |
हनूमान्रावणि रथे महतीं पातयच्छिलाम् || ६-८२-९
9. saH hanumaan = that Hanuma; mahaa kapiH = the great monkey; mahaa shokena = with inordinate grief; aaviShTaH = and filled with; kopena cha = rage; paatayat = threw; mahatiim = a large; shilaam = rock; raavaNii rate = on Indrajit's chariot.
Filled with inordinate grief and rage, that Hanuma the monkey-chief, threw a large rock on Indrajit's chariot.
तामापतन्तीं दृष्ट्वैव रथः सारथिना तदा |
विधेयाश्व समायुक्तः सुदूरमपवाहितः || ६-८२-१०
10. tadaa = then; dR^iShTvaiva = on seeing; taam = that rock; aapatantiim = rushing upon; rathaH = that chariot; vidheyaashva samaayuktaH = yoked to obedient horses; apavaahitaH = was carried off; vidduram = to a far distance.
On seeing that rock rushing towards them, the obedient horses, yoked to that chariot, carried the chariot off to a far-distance.
तमिन्द्रजितमप्राप्य रथथं सहसारथिम् |
विवेश धरणीं भित्त्वा सा शिलाव्यर्थमुद्यता || ६-८२-११
11. saa shilaa = that rock; udyataa = stretched out; vyartham = in vain; apraapya = without reaching; tam indrajitam = that Indrajit; saha saarathim = along with his charioteer; rathastham = sitting in the chariot; vivesha = penetrated dharaNiim = the ground; bhittvaa = splitting itself into bits.
That rock employed in vain, without reaching that Indrajit and his charioteer sitting in the chariot, split itself into fragments and penetrated the ground.
पतितायां शिलायां तु रक्षसां व्यथिता चमूः |
निपतन्त्या च शिलया राक्षसा मथिता भृशम् || ६-८२-१२
12. shilayaa = by the rock; nipatntyaa = falling down; raakShasaaH = the demons; bhR^isham mathitaaH = were very much bruised; chamuuH = the army; raakShasaam = of demons; vyathitaa = was perturbed; nipatantyaa shilayaa = over the rock thus falling.
The demons were very much bruised by the falling fragments of the rock. That army of demons was perturbed over the rock thus falling upon them.
तमभ्यधावञ्शतशो नदन्तः काननौकसः |
ते द्रुमांश्च महाकाया गिरिशृङ्गाणि चोद्यताः || ६-८२-१३
13. te vanaukasaH = those monkeys; shatashaH = in hundreds; mahaakaayaaH = with collossal bodies; udyataaH = lifting up; drumaamshcha = trees; girishR^iN^gaashcha = and mountain-peaks; nadantaH = and roaring; abhyadhaavan = rushed headlong; tam = towards that Indrajit.
Hundreds of monkeys with their colossal bodies, lifting up trees and mountain-peaks, rushed roaring towards Indrajit.
चिक्षिपुर्द्विषतां मध्ये वानरा भीमविक्रमाः |
पृक्षशैलमहावर्षं विसृजन्तः प्लवङ्गमाः || ६-८२-१४
शत्रूणां कदनं चक्रुर्नेदुश्च विविधैः स्वनैः |
14. vaanaraaH = those monkeys; bhiima vikramaaH = of terrible prowess; kShipanti = threw trees and mountain-peaks; indrajitam = towards Indrajit; samkhye = in battle; visR^ijantaH = while shooting; vR^ikShashaila mahaavarSham = a great deluge of trees and rocks; plavaNgamaaH = the monkeys; chakruH = caused; kadanam = destruction; shatruuNaam = their enemies; nedushcha = and roared; vividhaiH svanaiH = in various high tones.
Those monkeys of terrible prowess, threw trees and mountain-peaks towards Indrajit in battle. While shooting a large deluge of trees and rocks, the monkeys caused destruction of their enemies. They roared in various high tones.
वानरैर्तैर्महावीर्यैर्घोररूपा निशाचराः || ६-८-१५
वीर्यादभिहता वृक्षैर्व्यवेष्टन्त रणक्षितौ |
15. abhihataaH = struck; vR^ikShaiH = with trees; viiryaat = and with prowess; taiH mahaabhiimaiH = by those highly terrible; vaanaraiH = monkeys; nishaacharaaH the demons; ghora ruupaaH = of frightful appearance; vyacheShTanta = rolled about restlessly raNakShitau = in the battle-field.
Beaten forcibly with trees, by those highly terrible monkeys, those demons of frightful appearance, rolled about restlessly in the battle-field.
स्वसैन्यमभिवीक्ष्याथ वानरार्दितमिन्द्रजित् || ६-८२-१६
प्रगृहीतायुधः क्रुद्धः परानभिमुखो ययौ |
16. abhiviikShya = on seeing; sainyam = his army; vaanaraarditam = tormented by the monkeys; saH indrajit = that Indrajit; kruddhaH = enraged; atha = thereupon; pragR^ihaayudhaH = taking hold of his weapons; yayau = sallied forth; abhimukhaH = facing towards; paraan = his enemies.
On seeing his army tormented by the monkeys, that enraged Indrajit, taking hold of his weapons, sallied forth, facing towards his enemies.
स शरौघानवसृजन्स्वसैन्येनाभिसंवृतः || ६-८२-१७
जघान कपिशार्दूलान्सुबहून्दृष्टविक्रमः |
17. saH = that Indrajit; dR^iDha vikramaH = of firm fortitude; abhisamvR^itaH svasainyena = accompanied by his army; avasR^ijan = releasing; sharaughaan = a multitude of arrows; jaghaana = killed; subahuun = very many number of; kapishaarduulaan = excellent monkeys.
That Indrajit, of firm fortitude, accompanied by his army, by releasing a multitude of arrows, killed a very many number of monkeys.
शूलैरशनिभिः खड्गैः पट्टसैः कूटमुद्गरैः || ६-८२-१८
ते चाप्यनुचरांस्तस्य वानरा जघ्नुराहवे |
18. aahave = in the battle; tasya te anucharaaH api = his followers too; jaghnuH = killed; vaanaraan = the monkeys; shuulaiH = with spikes; ashanibhiH = tips of missiles; khaDGaiH = swords; paTTishaiH = sharp-edged spears; kuuTamudgaraiH = and concealed weapons similar to mallets.
In the battle, Indrajit's soldiers too killed the monkeys with spikes tips of missiles, swords, sharp-edged spears and concealed weapons similar to mallets.
सस्कन्धविटपैः सालैः शिलाभिश्च महाबलैः || ६-८२-१९
हनूमान्कदनं चक्रे रक्षसां भीमकर्मणाम् |
19. mahaabalaH = the mighty; hanuumaan = Hanuma; kadanam chakre = played a havoc; rakShasaam = of demons; bhiimakarmaNaam = who had terrible deeds; shaalaiH = with Shala trees; suskandhaviTapaiH = distinguished by excellent trunks and branches; shilaabhishcha = as with rocks.
The mighty Hanuma played a havoc among demons of terrible deeds, with Shala trees, distinguished by excellent trunks and branches as with rocks.
स निवार्य परानीकमब्रवीत्तान्वनौकसः || ६-८२-२०
हनूमान्संनिवर्तध्वं न नः साध्यमिदं बलम् |
20. nivaarya paraaniikam = keeping the hostile army back; saH hanumaan = that Hanuma; abraviit = spoke; taan vanaukasaH = to those monkeys (as follows); samvivartadhvam = retreat!; idam = this; balam = army; na saadhyam = need not be conquered any more; naH = by us.
Keeping the hostile army back, that Hanuma spoke to those monkeys as follows: "Retreat! This army need not be conquered any more by us."
त्यक्त्वा प्राणान्विचेष्टन्तो राम प्रियचिकीर्षवः || ६-८२-२१
यन्निमित्तं हि युध्यामो हता सा जनकात्मजा |
21. yannimittam = for whose sake; yudhyaamaH = we have fought; raama priya chikiirShavaH = with a wish to do what is pleasing to Rama; vicheShTantaH = and making a special effort; tyaktvaa = risking; praaNaan = our lives; saa janakaatmajaa = that Seetha; hataa = has been killed.
"That Seetha for whose sake we have fought so far, with a wish to do what is pleasing to Rama, making a special effort to win, risking our lives has been killed."
इममर्थं हि विज्ञाप्य रामं सुग्रीवमेव च || ६-८२-२२
तौ यत्प्रतिविधास्येते तत्करिष्यामहे वयम् |
22. viJNaapya = informing; raamam = Rama; sugriivameva cha = and even Sugreeva; imam = about this; artham = matter; vayam = we; kariShyaamahe = shall do; yat tat = that which; tau = both of them; pratividhaasyete = are prepared to do in return.
"Informing Rama and even Sugreeva about this matter, we shall do that which both of them are prepared to do in return."
इत्युक्त्वा वानरश्रेष्ठो वारयन्सर्ववानरान् || ६-८२-२३
शनैः शनैरसन्त्रस्तः सबलः स न्यवर्तत |
23. iti uktvaa = thus speaking; vaarayan = and keeping back; sarva vaanaraan = all the monkeys; vaanara shreShThaH = Hanuma the chief of monkeys; asamtrastaH = with absence of fear; sabalaH = along with his army; samnyavartata = turned back; shanaiH shanaiH = slowly as slowly.
Thus speaking and keeping back all the monkeys, Hanuma the chief of monkeys, with absence of fear, along with his army, gradually turned back.
ततः प्रेक्ष्य हनूमन्तं व्रजन्तं यत्र राघवः || ६-८२-२४
स होतुकामो दुष्टात्मा गतश्चैतं निकुम्भिलाम् |
24. tataH = then; prekShya = seeing; hanuumantam = Hanuma; vrajantam = withdrawing; yatra = to the place where; raaghavaH = Rama was; duShTaatmaa = the evil-minded; saH = Indrajit; gataH = went; chaityam = to a sanctuary; nikumbhilaam = called Nikumbhila; hotu kaamaH = seeking to pour oblations into the sacred fire.
Seeing Hanuma with drawing to the place where Rama was, the evil-minded Indrajit went to a sanctuary called Nikumbhila, seeking to pour oblations into the sacred fire.
निकुम्भिलामधिष्ठाय पावकं जुहुवे न्द्रजित् || ६-८२-२५
यज्ञभूम्यां तु विधिवत्पावकस्तेन रक्षसा |
हूयमानः प्रजज्वाल होमशोणितभुक्तदा || ६-८२-२६
25; 26. adhiShThaaya = arriving at; nikumbhilaam = Nikumbhila; indrajit = Indrajit; juhaava paavakam = poured oblations into the sacred fire; tataH = thereupon; huuyamaanaH = while being propitiated; tena raakShasaa = by that demons; gattvaa = on reaching; yaJNa bhuumyaam = the sacrificial ground; paavakaH = the sacricifial fire; prajajvaala = blazed up; maamsa shoNita bhuk = on consuming the oblations of flesh and blood; tadaa = on that occasion.
Arriving at Nikumbhila, Indrajit poured oblations into the sacred fire. Thereupon, while being propitiated by that demon on reaching sacrificial ground, the sacrificial fire then blazed up on consuming the oblations of flesh and blood.
सोऽर्चिः पिनद्धो ददृशे होमशोणिततर्पितः |
सन्ध्यागत इवादित्यः स तीव्राग्निः समुत्थितः || ६-८२-२७
27. samutthitaH = swollen up; homashoNita tarpitaH = when propitiated with oblations of blood; sutivraH = the highly intense; agniH = fire; sandhyaagata aadityaH iva = like the evening sun; dadR^ishe = appeared; archiH pinaddhaH = wrapped in flames.
Swollen up when propitiated with oblations of blood, the highly intense fire, like the evening sun, appeared wrapped in flames.
अथेन्द्रजिद्राक्षसभूतये तु |
जुहाव हव्यं विधिना विधानवत् |
दृष्ट्वा व्यतिष्ठन्त च राक्षसास्ते |
महासमूहेषु नयानयज्ञाः || ६-८२-२८
28. atha = then; indrajit = Indrajit; vidhaanavit = knowing the performance of rites; raakShasabhuutaye = for the prosperity of the demons; juhaava havyam = poured oblations; vidhinaa = according to the scriptural ordinance; dR^iShTvaa = seeing this; te raakShasaaH = those demons; nayaanayaJNaaH = who knew what was prudent course and evil course in major battles; vyatiShThanta = stood firm; mahaasamuuheShu = in large poles.
Then, Indrajit, well-versed with the technique of performance of rites for the prosperity of the demons, poured oblations according to the scriptural precepts. Seeing this, those demons, who knew what was prudent and evil in major battles, stood firm in big piles (by Indrajit's side).
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे वाल्मीकीये आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे द्व्यशीतितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© October 2008, K. M. K. Murthy
Site moved by Go FTP FREE Software