Placing an illusory live image of Seetha in his chariot, Indrajit along with his army enters the battle-field. Hanuma with his army of monkeys march in front to face Indrajit in battle. While Hanuma and his army are watching, Indrajit pulls Seetha by her hair and unsheathed his sword. Indrajit kills the illusory living image of Seetha, with his sharp sword.
विज्ञाय तु मनस्तस्य राघवस्य महात्मनः |
संनिवृत्याहवात्तस्मात्प्रविवेश पुरं ततः || २-८१-१
1. viJNaaya = knowing; manaH = the mind; tasya mahaatmanaH raaghavasya = of that great-souled Rama; saH = Indrajit; tataH = then; nivR^itya = turning away from; tasmaat aahavaat = that battle; praviesha = entered; puram = the city.
Guessing the mind of that great-souled Rama, Indrajit turning away from that battle, entered the City.
सोऽनुस्मृत्य वधं तेषां राक्षसानां तरस्विनाम् |
क्रोधताम्रेक्षणः शूरो निर्जगाम महाद्युतिः || २-८१-२
2. atha = thereafter; saH shuuraH = that valiant; raavaNiH = Indrajit; anusmR^itya = recalling; vadham = the killing; teShaam = of those; tarasvinaam = energetic; raakShasaanaam = demons (like Kumbhakarna and others); nirjagaama = sallied forth (for the fight); krodhataamrekShaNaH = with red-hot eyes in anger.
Then, recalling the killing of those energetic demons like Kumbhakarna and others, that valiant Indrajit sallied forth (for the fight) with red-hot eyes in anger.
स पश्चिमेन द्वारेण निर्ययौ राक्षसैर्वृतः |
इन्द्रजित्तु महावीर्यः पौलस्त्यो देवकण्टकः || २-८१-३
3. saH indrajit = that Indrajit; sumahaaviiryaH = of very great prowess; devakaN^TakaH = the adversary of gods; poulastyaH = and who was born in Pulastya-dynasty; vR^itaH = surrouded; raakShasaiH = by demons; niryayau = came forth; pashchimena dvareNa = from the western gate.
That Indrajit, of very great prowess, the adversary of gods and who was born in Sage Pulstya's dynasty, accompanied by an army of demons, came forth from the western gate.
इन्द्रजित्तु ततो दृष्ट्वा भ्रातरौ रामलक्ष्मणौ |
रणायाभ्युद्यतौ वीरौ मायां प्रादुष्करोत्तदा || २-८१-४
4. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; viirau bhraatarau = the two valiant brothers; raamalakShmaNau = Rama and lakshmana; abhyudyatau = who were prepared; raNaaya = for the battle; indrajit tu = Indrajit for his part; tadaa = then; praaduShkarot = demonstrated; maayaam = his conjuring tricks.
Seeing the two valiant brothers, Rama and Lakshamana, who were prepared for the encounter, Indrajit for his part, then started to demonstrate his conjuring tricks.
इन्द्रजित्तु रथे स्थाप्य सूतां मायामयीं तदा |
बलेन महतावृत्य तस्या वधमरोचयत् || २-८१-५
5. sthaapya = placing; maayaamayiim siitaam = an illusory image of Seetha; rathe = on his chariot; indrajit tu = Indrajit for his part; mahataa = and a huge; balena aavR^itya = army surrounding it; tadaa = then; aarochayat = intended; tasyaaH vadham = to kill her.
Placing an illusory image of Seetha on his chariot and a large army surrounding the chariot, Indrajit intended to kill her.
मोहनार्थं तु सर्वेषां बुद्धिं कृत्वा सुदुर्मतिः |
हन्तुं सीतां व्यवसितो वानराभिमुखो ययौ || २-८१-६
6. sudurmatiH = the exceedingly evil-minded Indrajit; buddhim kR^itvaa = making up his mind; sarveShaam mohanaartham = to purposefully confuse all; vyavasitaH = by playing a trick; hantum = to kill; siitaam = Seetha; yayau = sallied forth; vaanaraabhimukhaH = in the direction of the monkeys.
Making up his mind to purposefully confuse all, by playing a trick to kill Seetha's illusory image, the exceedingly evil-minded Indrajit sallied forth towards the direction of the monkeys.
तं दृष्ट्वा त्वभिनिर्यान्तं नगर्याः काननौकसः |
उत्पेतुरभिसङ्क्रुद्धाः शिलाहस्ता युयुत्सवः || २-८१-७
7. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; tam = him; abhiniryaantam = coming forth towards their direction; sarve te = all those; kaananaukasaH = monkeys; abhisamkruddhaaH = were enraged; utpetuH = bounced towards him; shilaahastaaH = with rocks in their hands; yuyutsavaH = and with an intent to fight.
Seeing him coming forth towards their direction, all those monkeys were enraged and bounced towards him, with rocks in their hands and with an intent to fight.
हनूमान्पुरतस्तेषां जगाम कपिकुञ्जरः |
प्रगृह्य सुमहच्छृङ्गं पर्वतस्य दुरासदम् || २-८१-८
8. hanuumaan = Hanuma; kapikuN^jaraH = the foremost among the monkeys; pragR^ihya = taking; sumahat = a very large; parvatasya shR^iNgam = mountain-peak; suduraasadam = which was dangerous to be reached by others; jagaama = went; purataH teShshaam = in front of them.
Hanuma, the foremost among the monkeys, taking hold of a very large mountain-peak, which was difficult to be reached by others, marched in front.
स ददर्श हतानन्दां सीताम् इन्द्रजितो रथे |
एकवेणीधरां दीनामुपवासकृशाननाम् || २-८१-९
परिक्लिष्टैकवसनाममृजां राघवप्रियाम् |
रजोमलाभ्यामालिप्तैः सर्वगात्रैर्वरस्त्रियम् || २-८१-१०
9. saH = that Hanuma; dadarsha = saw; siitaam = Seetha; raaghava priyaam = the wife of Rama; vara striyam = the best among women; hataanandaam = bereft of joy; eka veNiidharaam = wearing only a single braid of hair; diinaam = looking miserable; upavaasakR^ishaananaam = with her face emaciated due to fasting; parikliShTaika vasanaam = wearing a single worn-out clothing; amR^ijaam = unadorned; sarvagaatraiH = and with all her limbs; aaliptaiH = covered; rajomalaabhyaam = with dust and dirt; indrajitaH = in Indrajit's rahte = chariot.
That Hanuma saw Seetha, the wife of Rama, the best among women, bereft of joy, wearing only a single braid of hair, looking miserable, with her face emaciated due to fasting, dressed in a single worn-out clothing, unadorned and with all her limbs covered with dust and dirt; in the chaiot of Indrajit.
तां निरीक्ष्य मुहूर्तं तु मैथिलीम् अध्यवस्य च |
बाष्पपर्याकुलमुखो हनूमान्व्यथितोऽभवत् || २-८१-११
11. niriikShya = on seeing; taam = her; muhuurtam = for a moment; adhyavasya cha = (Hanuma) ascertained her; maithiliim = as Seetha; babhuuva (viShaNNaH) = and became dejected; saa = that; janakaatmajaa = Seetha; achiradR^iShTaa his = was indeed seen not long ago; tena = by him.
On seeing her for a moment, Hanuma ascertained her as Seetha and became dejected. That Seetha was indeed seen by him, not long ago.
अब्रवीत्तां तु शोकार्तां निरानन्दां तपस्विनाम् |
दृष्ट्वा रथे स्तितां सीतां राक्षसेन्द्रसुताश्रिताम् || २-८१-१२
किं समर्थितमस्येति चिन्तयन्स महाकपिः |
सह तैर्वानरश्रेष्ठैरभ्यधावत रावणिम् || २-८१-१३
12; 13. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; taam = her; shokaartaam = stricken with grief; niraandaam = bereft of joy; tapasviniim = looking distressed; diinaam = and miserable; raakShasendrasutashritaam = sitting beside Indrajit; mahaakapiH = Hanuma; abraviit = wondered; kim samarthitam iti = as to what his intention might be; chintayan = thus thinking; taiH vaanarashreShThaiH saha = (he) along with those leaders of monkeys; abhyadaavata = rushed; raavaNim = towards Indrajit.
Seeing her stricken with grief bereft of joy, looking distreseed, miserable and sitting under the sway of Indrajit, Hanuma wondered as to what his intention might be. Thus thinking, he along with those leaders of mnkeys, rushed towards Indrajit.
तद्वानरबलं दृष्ट्वा रावणिः क्रोधमूर्छितः |
कृत्वा विशोकं निस्त्रिंशं मूर्ध्नि सीतां परामृशत् || २-८१-१४
14. dR^iShTvaa = beholding; tat vaanarabalam = that army of monkeys; raavaNiH = Indrajit; krodha muurchhitaH = was excited with anger; kR^itvaa = and making; nistrimsham = his sword; vikosham = sheathless; aakarShayat = and pulled; siitaam = Seetha; muurdhni = (by the hair) on her head.
Beholding that army of monkeys, Indrajit was excited with anger, pulled Seetha by the hair on her head and unsheathed his sword.
तं स्त्रियं पश्यतां तेषां ताडयामास रावणिः |
क्रोशन्तीं राम रामेति मायया योजितां रथे || २-८१-१५
15. teShaam pashyataam = while those monkeys were seeing; raakShasaH = the demon; taaDayaamaasa = began to strike; taam striyam = that woman; yojitaam = who was placed; rathe = in the chariot; maayayaa = by the dint of his conjuring trick; kroshantiim = and was crying; raama raameti = "Rama! Rama!".
While those monkeys were seeing, demon began to strike that woman who was placed in the chariot by the dint of his conjuring trick and who was crying "Rama! Rama!"
गृहीतमूर्धजां दृष्ट्वा हनूमान्दैन्यमागतः |
दुःखजं वारिनेत्राभ्यामुत्सृजन्मारुतात्मजः || २-८१-१६
16. dR^iShTvaa = on seeing; gR^ihiita muurdhajaam = her seized by the hair (by Indrajit); hanuumaan = Hanuma; maarutaatmajaH = the son of wind-god; dainyam aagataH = was confounded with misery; utsR^ijat = and shed; vaari = tears; netraabhyaam = from his eyes; duHkhajam = in agony.
On seeing her seized by the hair Hanuma the son of wind-god was confounded with affliction and shed tears, in agony from his eyes.
ताम् दृष्ट्वा चारुसर्वाङ्गीं रामस्य महिषीं प्रियाम् |
अब्रवीत्परुषं वाक्यं क्रोधाद्रक्षोधिपात्मजम् || २-८१-१७
17. dR^iShTvaa = on seeing; taam = her; priyaam = the beloved; mahiShiim = wife; raamasya = of Rama; chaaru sarvaaN^giim = with all her charming limbs; krodhaat = (Hanuma) angrily; abraviit = addressed; paruSham vaakyam = the following harsh words; raakShodhipaatmajam = to Indrajit.
On seeing Seetha with all her charming limbs, the beloved wife of Rama, Hanuma angrily addressed the foolowing harsh words to Indrajit:
दुरात्मन्नात्मनाशाय केशपक्षे परामृशः |
ब्रह्मर्षीणां कुले जातो राक्षसीं योनिमाश्रितः || २-८१-१८
18. duraatman = O; evil-minded one!; jaataH = born; brahmarShiiNaam kule = in a dynasty of Brahmanical sages; aashritaH yonim = but belonging to the race; raakShasiim = of demons; paraamR^ishaH = you touched; keshapakShe = a lock of her hair; aatmanaashaaya = for your own ruin.
"O evil minded one! Born in a dynasty of Brahmanical sages, but belonging to demoniacal race, you touched a lock of her hair, for your hair, for your own ruin."
धिक्त्वां पापसमाचारं यस्य ते मतिरीदृशी |
नृशंसानार्य दुर्वृत्त क्षुद्र पापपराक्रम || २-८१-१९
अनार्यस्येदृशं कर्म घृणा ते नास्ति निर्घृण |
19. nR^ishamsa = O cruel one!; anaarya = O vulgar one!; durvR^itta = O mean fellow!; kShudra = O wicked demon!; paapaparaakrama = having sinful prowess!; nirghR^iNa = O pitiless one!; tvaam dhik = woe be to you; paapa samaacharam = of sinful conduct!; yasya iidR^ishii = in whom such; matiH = a resolve; te = of you; iidR^isham karma = such an act; anaaryasya = is worthy of a barbarian; gR^iNaaa te naasti = there is no pity in you!.
"O cruel, vulgar and mean fellow! O wicked demon of sinful prowess! O pitiless fellow! Woe be to you, of sinful conduct, in whom such a resolve has taken place. Such an act is worthy of a barbarian. There is no pity in you."
च्युता गृहाच्च राज्याच्च रामहस्ताच्च मैथिली || २-८१-२०
किं तवैषापराद्धा हि यदेनां हिंसि निर्दय |
20. nirdaya = O pitiless one!; maithilii = Seetha; chyutaa = came away; gR^ihaachcha = from her house; raajyaachcha = from her kingdom; raama hastaachcha = and from the protection of Rama; hamsi yat enaam = you are killing her; kim aparaaddhaahi = what wrong; eShaa = has Seetha; tava = (done) to you?
"O pitiless one! Seetha came away from her house, from her kingdom and from her huband's (Rama's) protection. What wrong has Seetha done to you, that you are killing her?"
सीतां च हत्वा न चिरं जीविष्यसि कथं चन || २-८१-२१
वधार्हकर्मणानेन मम हस्तगतो ह्यसि |
21. hatvaa = by killing; siitaam = Seetha; na jiiviShyasi = you will not survive; chiram = for long; kathamchana = in any way; vadhaarha = O demon; deserving of death!; tena karmeNa = by your act; mama hastagataH asi hi = you indeed fell into my hands.
"By killing Seetha, you will not survivie for long in any way. O demon, desrving of death! By your act, you indeed fell into my hands."
ये च स्त्रीघातिनां लोका लोकवध्यैश्च कुत्सिताः || २-८१-२२
इह जीवितमुत्सृज्य प्रेत्य तान्प्रतिलप्स्यसे |
22. utsR^ijya = abandoning; jiivitam = your life; iha = in this world; pretya = after death; prati lapsyase = you shall descend; ye aan lokaaH = to those worlds; striighaatinaam = which are the lot of the killers of women; kutsitaaH lika vadhyeShu = and are condemned even by thse who deserved to be killed by the peple.
"Abandoning your life in this world, you shall, after death, descend to those worlds which are the lot of the killers of women and are condemned even by those who deserved to be killed by the people."
इति ब्रुवाणो हनुमान्सायुधैर्हरिभिर्वृतः || २-८१-२३
अभ्यधावत सङ्क्रुद्धो राक्षसेन्द्रसुतं प्रति |
23. hanumaan = Hanuma; iti = thus; bruvaaNaH = speaking; vR^itaH = surrounded; haribhiH = by monkeys; saayudhaiH = with their weapons; susamkruddhaH = and very much enraged; abhyadhaavat = rushed; raakShasendrasutamprati = towards Indrajit.
Thus speaking, Hanuma surrounded as he was by monkeys with their weapons and very much enraged, rushed headlong towards Indrajit.
आपतन्तं महावीर्यं तदनीकं वनौकसाम् || २-८१-२४
रक्षसां भीमवेगानामनीकेन न्यवारयत् |
24. aniikam = the army; bhiima kopaanaam = of terrible rage; rakShasaam = of demons; nyavaarayat = intercepted tam aniikam = that army; vanaukasaam = of monkeys; mahaaviiryam = possessing a high prowess; aapatantam = and advancing towars them.
The army of demons of terrible rage intercepted that army of mokeys possessing a high prowess and advancing towards them.
स तां बाणसहस्रेण विक्षोभ्य हरिवाहिनीम् || २-८१-२५
हरिश्रेष्ठं हनूमन्तमिन्द्रजित्प्रत्युवाच ह |
25. vikShobhya = stirring up; taam hari vaahiniim = that army of monkeys; baaNa sahasreNa = with a multitude of his arrows; saH indrajit = that Indrajit; pratyuvaacha ha = replied; hanumantam = to Hanuma; harishreShTham = the foremost of monkeys (as follows).
Stirring up that army of mokeys with a multitude of his arrows, Indrajit replied to Hanuma, the foremost of mokeys as follows:
सुग्रीवस्त्वं च रामश्च यन्निमित्तमिहागताः || २-८१-२६
तां हनिष्यामि वैदेहीमद्यैव तव पश्यतः |
26. yannimittam = for whose sake; sugriivaH = Sugreeva; tvam cha = yourself; raamashcha = and Rama; aagataaH = came; iha = here; vadhiShyaami = I am going to kill; vaidehiim = Seetha; adyaiva = now itself; tava pashyataH = while you stand looking on.
"For whose sake, Sugreeva, yourself and Rama came here, I am going to kill Seetha now itself, while you stand looking on."
इमां हत्वा ततो रामं लक्ष्मणं त्वां च वानर || २-८१-२७
सुग्रीवं च वधिष्यामि तं चानार्यं विभीषणम् |
27. vaanara = O monkey!; hatvaa imaam = after killing her; vadhiShyaami = I will make a short work of; raamam = Rama; lakShmaNamcha = Lakshmana; tvaam cha = yourself too; sugriivamcha = Sugreeva; anaaryam tam vibhiiShaNam cha = and that vulgar Vibhishana; tataH = thereafter.
"O monkey! After killing her, I will make a short work of Rama, Lakshmana, yourself too, Sugreeva and that vulgar Vibhishana thereafter."
न हन्तव्याः स्त्रियश्चेति यद्ब्रवीषि प्लवङ्गम || २-८१-२८
पीडा करममित्राणां यत्स्यात्कर्तव्यमेत तत् |
28. plavamgama = O monkey!; yat = (for) what; braviiShi = you have said; iti = that; striyaH = women; na hantavyaaH = are not to be killed; (hear my reply); yat = that which; piiDaakaramsyaat = causes tormentation; amitraaNaam = to te enemies; tat = that; kartavyameva = indeed needs to be done.
"O monkey! What you have said just now viz. that women are not to be killed, is correct. But that which causes tormentation to the enemies indeed needs to be done."
तमेवमुक्त्वा रुदतीं सीतां मायामयीं ततः || २-८१-२९
शितधारेण खड्गेन निजघानेन्द्रजित्स्वयम् |
29. evam = thus; uktvaa = having spoken; tam = to Hanuma; indrajit = Indrajit; svayam = personally; nijaghaana = killed; taam maayaamayiim siitaam = that illusory Seetha; rudatiim = who had been sobbing (all the while); shitadhaareNa = with sharp-edged; khaDgena = sword.
Having spoken thus to Hanuma, Indrajit personally killed that illusory Seetha, who ahd been sobbing all the while, with his sharp-edged sword.
यज्ञोपवीतमार्गेण छिन्ना तेन तपस्विनी || २-८१-३०
सा पृथिव्यां पृथुश्रोणी पपात प्रियदर्शना |
30. chchhinnaa = Split asunder; tena = by him; yaJNopaviita maargeNa = diagonally (as the way of wearing a sacred thread over the left shoulder and hanging down under the right by the three twice-born castes); saa tapasvinii = that miserable lady; pR^ithushreNii = of broad hips; priyadarshanaa = and pleasant to the sight; papaata = fell down; pR^ithivyaam = on the ground.
Split asunder by him diagonally, that miserable lady of broad hips and pleasant to the sight, fell down on the ground.
तामिन्द्रजित्स्त्रियं हत्वा हनूमन्तमुवाच ह || २-८१-३१
मया रामस्य पश्येमां कोपेन च निषूदिताम् |
एषा विशस्ता वैदेही निष्फलो वः परिश्रमः || २-८१-३२
31; 32. hatvaa = after killing; taam = that; striyam = woman; indrajit = Indrajit; uvaacha ha = told; hanumantam = Hanuma (as follows); pashya = see; imaam = this; raamasya priyaam = wife of Rama; shastraniShuuditaam = has been killed with a weapon; mayaa = by me; eShaa = this; vaidehii = Seetha; vishastaa = has been killed; vaH = your; parishramaH = labour; niShphalaH = is in vain.
After killing that woman, Indrajit told Hanuma as follows: "See, I killed Rama's wife with my weapon. This Seetha is dead and all your labour is in vain."
ततः खड्गेन महता हत्वा ताम् इन्द्रजित्स्वयम् |
हृष्टः स रथमास्थाय विननाद महास्वनम् || २-८१-३३
33. hatvaa = after killing; taam = her; svayam = personally; mahataakhaDgena = with a large sword; saH indrajit = that Indrajit; tataH = then; aasthaaya = sitting on; ratham = his chariot; hR^iShThaH = pleasurefully; nanaada cha = roared; mahaasvanam = with a high sound.
After killing her with a large sword personally, that Indrajit then sitting on his chariot, pleasurefully roared loudly.
वानराः शुश्रुवुः शब्दमदूरे प्रत्यवस्थिताः |
व्यादितास्यस्य नदतस्तद्दुर्गं संश्रितस्य तु || २-८१-३४
34. vaanaraaH = the monkeys; pratyavasthitaah = standing; aduure = in vicinity; shushruvuH = heard; shabdam = his roar; nadataH = even as he shouted; vyaaditaasyasya = with his mouth wide open; samshritya = while comfortably sitting; tat durgam = in that tower of the aerial chariot; which was actually difficult of access for others.
The monkeys standing in vicinity heard his roar, even as he shouted with his mouth wide open, while comfortable sitting in that tower of the aerial chriot, which was actually difficult of access for others.
तथा तु सीतां विनिहत्य दुर्मतिः |
प्रहृष्टचेताः स बभूव रावणिः |
तं हृष्टरूपं समुदीक्ष्य वानरा |
विषण्णरूपाः समभिप्रदुद्रुवुः || २-८१-३५
35. vinihatya = killing; siitaam = Seetha; tathaa = in that way; sah = that; durmatiH = evil-minded; raavaNiH = Indrajit; babhuuva = became; prahR^iShTa chetaaH = exceedingly glad; samudiikShya = seeing; tam = him; hR^iShTa ruupam = exceedinly plesed; vaanaraaH = the mokeys; viShaNNaruupaaH = looked dejected; sahasaa = and suddenly; abhidudruvuH = ran away.
After killing Seetha in that way, the evil-minded Indrajit became exceedingly glad. Seeing him exceedingly pleased, the monkeys looked dejected and suddenly ran away.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे वामीकीये आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे एकाशीतितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© October 2008, K. M. K. Murthy