All the demons of King Ravana present there namely Prahasta, Durmukha, Vajradamshtra, Nikumbha and Vajrahanu, eulogising their strengths, assure the king that they can individually kill Rama and his army within no time.
tato nīla ambuda nibhaḥ prahasto nāma rākṣasaḥ |
abravīt prāñjalir vākyam śūraḥ senā patistadā || 6-8-1
1. tataH = thereafter; shuuraH = a valiant; raakSasaH = demon; prahasto naama = named prahasta; senaapatiH = the commander-in-chief; niila ambuda prakhyaH = appearing like a dark cloud; praaJNjaliH = joined his palms in salutation; abraviit = and spoke; tadaa = then; vaakyam = (the following) words.
A valiant demon by name Prahasta, the commander-in-chief, appearing like a dark cloud, joined his palms in salutation and spoke these words.
deva dānava gandharvāḥ piśācapatagauragāḥ |
na tvām dharṣayitum śaktāḥ kim punar vānarā raṇe || 6-8-2
2. sarve = all; deva daanava gandharvaaH = gods; demons; Gandharvas; pishraacha pata goragaaH = devils; birds and serpents; shakyaaH = can be dharSayitum = attacked; raNe = in battle; kim punaH = why to talk about; maanavau = two human beings?
"All gods, demons, gandharvas, devils, birds and serpents can be attacked by you in battle. Why to talk about two human beings?"
sarve pramattā viśvastā vancitāḥ sma hanūmatā |
na hi me jīvato gaccej jīvan sa vana gocaraḥ || 6-8-3
3. sarve = all of us; vishvastaaH = in good faith; pramattaaH = but with negligence; vaNchitaasmi = were cheated; hanumataa = by Hanuma; saH = that; vanagocharaH = monkey; nagachhet hi = cannot indeed go; jiivan = alive; me = (while) I; jiivitaH = an alive.
"All of us, in good faith but with negligence, were cheated by Hanuma. That monkey cannot go alive, while I am alive."
sarvām sāgara paryantām saśaila vana kānanām |
karomi avānarām bhūmim ājñāpayatu mām bhavān || 6-8-4
4. karomi = I shall make; sarvaam = the entire; bhuumim = earth; saagara paryantaam = extending upto the ocean; sashaila vana kaananaam = along with mountains forests and woods; avaanaraam = bereft of monkeys; bhavaan = you; aaGYaapayatu = command; maam = me.
"I shall make the entire earth extending upto the ocean, along with mountains forests and woods, bereft of monkeys. You command me."
rakṣām caiva vidhāsyāmi vānarād rajanī cara |
na āgamiṣyati te duhkham kiṃcid ātma aparādhajam || 6-8-5
5. rajanii cara = Oh; Ravana; vidhaasyaami = I shall arrange; rakSaam caiva = for defence also; vaanaraad = from the monkey; na kimchit = not a little; duHkham = trouble; aagamishhyati = will come; te = to you; aatma aparaadhajam = on account of your guilt (abduction of Seetha).
"Oh, Ravana! I shall arrange for your defence from that monkey. Not a little trouble will come to you on account of your guilt (abduction of Seetha)."
abravīttam susamkruddho durmukho nāma rākṣasaḥ |
idam na kṣamaṇīyam hi sarveṣām naḥ pradharṣaṇam || 6-8-6
6. raakSasaH = a demon; durmukho naama = by name Durmukha; susamkruddhaH = being seriously enraged; abraviit = spoke; tam = to him; idam = this; pradharSaNam = molestation; sarveSaam = to all; naH = of us; na kSamaNiiyam hi = is indeed not to be tolerated.
A demon by name Durmukha, being seriously enraged, spoke to him as follows: "This humiliation meted out to us by that monkey is indeed not to be tolerated."
ayam paribhavo bhūyaḥ purasya antaḥ purasya ca |
śrīmato rākṣasa indrasya vānara indra pradharṣaṇam || 6-8-7
7. ayam = this; paribhavaH = insult; purasya = to Lanka City; antaH purasya ca = and the palaces; vaanarendra pradharSaNam = and the attack by Sugreeva; the king of monkeys; shriimataH = of the glorious; raakshasendrasya = king of demons; bhuuyaH = is still (outrageous).
"This insult to the city of Lanka and the palaces together with attack by Sugreeva on the glorious Ravana are still outrageous."
asmin muhūrte hatvā eko nivartiṣyāmi vānarān |
praviṣṭān sāgaram bhīmam ambaram vā rasā talam || 6-8-8
8. gatvaa = proceeding; asmin; = at this; muhuurte = moment; ekaH = alone; nivartiSyaami = I shall destroy; vaanaraan = the monkeys; praviSTaan = who entered; saagaram = either into the ocean; bhiimam rasaa talam = or into the terrific subterranean region under the earth; ambaram vaa = or into the sky.
"Proceeding at this moment alone, I shall destroy those monkeys, whether they entered the ocean or the subterranean region or the sky."
tato abravīt susamkruddho vajra damṣṭro mahābalaḥ |
pragṛhya parigham ghoram māṃsa śoṇita rūpitam || 6-8-9
9. tataH = thereafter; mahaabalaH = the very strong; vajra damSTraH = Vajradamshtra; susamkruddhaH = beset with great anger; pragR^ihya = took hold of; ghoram = a terrific; parigham = iron club; maamsa shoNita ruupitam = smeared with flesh and blood; abraviit = (and) spoke (as follows).
Thereafter the very strong Vajradamshtra, beset with great anger, took hold of a terrific iron club smeared with flesh and blood and spoke (as follows):
kim no hanumatā kāryam kṛpaṇena tapasvinā |
rāme tiṣṭhati durdharṣe sugrīve saha lakṣmaṇe || 6-8-10
10. kim = what; kaaryam = work; naH = for us; hanumataa = with Hanuma; kR^ipaNena = the pitiable; tapasvinaa = and the miserable; raame = when Rama; salakSmaNe = along with Lakshmana; sugriive api = and Sugreeva; durdharSe = who are difficult to be conquered; tiSThati = exist?
"What work for us with that pitiable and miserable Hanuma, when Rama along with Lakshmana and Sugreeva who are difficult to be conquered exist?"
adya rāmam sasugrīvam parigheṇa salakṣmaṇam |
āgamiṣyāmi hatvā eko vikṣobhya hari vāhinīm || 6-8-11
11. adya = Now; ekaH = alone; hatvaa = killing; parigheNa = by this iron club; raamam = Rama; salakSmaNam = along with Lakshmana; sasugriivam = together with Sugreeva; vikSobhya = and after perturbing; harivaahiniim = the army of monkeys; aagamiSyaami = I shall come back.
"Now itself, with this iron club, killing Rama, Lakshmana and Sugreeva after perturbing the army of monkeys, I shall come back."
idam mamāparam vākyam śṛṇu rājanyadīccasi |
upāyakuśalo hyeva jayeccatrunatandritaḥ || 6-8-12
12. raajan = Oh; king; yadi icchasi = if you are willing; shR^iNu = hear; aparam = moreover; mama = my; idam vaakyam = these words; upaayakushalaH eva = one who is skilled in stratagem only; atandritaH = will be without lassitude; jayet hi = (and) can indeed defeat; shatruun = enemies.
"Oh, king! If you are willing, hear my words further. One who is skilled din a stratagem alone will be without lassitude and can indeed defeat the enemies."
kāmarūpadharāḥ śūrāḥ subhīmā bhīmadarśanāḥ |
rākṣasā vā sahasrāṇi rākṣasādhipa niścitāḥ || 6-8-13
kākutthsamupasamgamya bibhrato mānuṣam vapuḥ |
sarve hyasambhramā bhūtvā bruvantu raghusattamam || 6-8-14
13-14. raakshasaadhipa = O; king of demons! sahasraaNi = thousands of; raakSasaaH = demons; kaamaruupadharaaH = able to change their form at will; shuuraaH = courageous; subhiimaaH = appalling; bhiimadarshanaaH = terrifying to look at; nishchitaaH = and firm (in their purpose); bibhrataH = can wear; maanuSam = human; vapuH = body; upasangamya = approach; kaakutsam = Rama; asambhramaaH = without embarrassment; sarve = and all; bruvantu = speak; raghusattamam = to Rama (as follows).
O, king of demons! Thousands of demons able to change their form at will courageaous appalling terrifying to look at and firm (in their purpose) can wear human body approach Rama without embarrassment and all speak to Rama (as follows).
preṣitā bharatenaiva bhrātrā tava yavīyasā |
sa hi senām samutthāpya kṣipramevopayāsyati || 6-8-15
15. preSimtaa = we have been sent; bharatenaiva = by Bharata; tava = your; yaviiyasaa = younger; bhraatraa = brother; saH = he; samutthaapya = summoning; senaam = his forces; kshiprameva = will surely soon; upayaasyati = come here.
"We have been despatched by Bharata, your younger brother. He is summoning his forces and will surely come here soon."
tato vayamitasturṇam śūlaśaktigadādharāḥ |
cāpabāṇāsihastaśca tvaritāstatra yāmahe || 6-8-16
16. tataH = thereafter; vayam = we; turNam = quickly; shuula shaktigadaadharaaH = carrying spikes; javelins and maces; caapa baaNaasihastaashca = with arrows and swords in hand; yaamahe = will go; tatra = there; itaH = from here; tvaritaaH = soon."
"Carrying spikes, javelins and maces together with arrows and swords in hand, we will quickly go there from here soon."
ākāśe gaṇaśaḥ sthitvā hatvā tām harivāhinīm |
aśmaśastramahāvṛṣṭvā prāpayām yamakṣayam || 6-8-17
17. sthitvaa = standing; gaNashaH = as groups; aakaashe = in the sky; hatvaa = beating; taam = that; harivaahiniim = army of monkeys; ashmashastramahaavR^iSTvaa = with a mighty hail of stones and missiles; praapayaam = we should send 9them) yamakshayam = to the world of Death.
"Standing as groups in the sky and beating that army of monkeys with a mighty hail of stones and missiles, we should send them to the world of Death."
evam cedupasarpetāmanayam rāmalakṣmaṇau |
avaśyamapanītena jahatāmeva jīvitam || 6-8-18
18. raamalakshmaNau = (If) Rama and Lakshmana; upasarpetaam yadi = approach softly into our trap; evam = thus; jahataameva = they will just abandon; jiivitam = the life; avashyameva = surely; apaniitena = as they are taken away (by the trap)
"If Rama and Lakshmana thus approach softly into our trap they will surely abandon their lives as they are taken away by the trap."
kaumbhakarṇis tato vīro nikumbho nāma vīryavān |
abravīt parama kurddho rāvaṇam loka rāvaṇam || 6-8-19
19. tataH = thereafter; kumbhakarNiH = Kumbhakarna's sons; nikumbho naama = by name Nikumbha; viiraH = strong; viiryavaan = and powerful; paramakruddhaH = became very angry; abraviit = and spoke; raavaNam = to Ravana; loka raavaNam = who made people cry.
Thereafter Kumbhakarna's son, by name Nikumbha, strong and powerful, became very angry and spoke (as follows) to Ravana, who made people cry.
sarve bhavantas tiṣṭhantu mahārājena samgatāḥ |
aham eko haniṣyāmi rāghavam saha lakṣmaṇam || 6-8-20
sugrīvam sahanūmantam sarvāṃścaivātra vānarān |
20-21b. sarve = all; bhavantaH = of you; tiSThantu = stay; samgataaH = along with; mahaaraajena = the king; aham = I; ekaH = alone; haniSyaami = will kill; atra = there; raaghavam = Rama; sahalakSmaNam = along with Lakshman; sugriivam = Sugreeva; shanuumantam = along with Hanuman; sarvaan = all; vaanaraan shcaiva = the monkeys too."
All of you stay along with the king. I alone will kill there, Rama along with Lakshman, Sugreeva along with Hanuma and all the monkeys also.
tato vajrahanurnāma rākṣasaḥ parvatopamaḥ || 6-8-21
kruddhaḥ parilihan vaktram jihvayā vākyam abravīt |
21b-22a. tataH = then; raakshasaH = a demon; vajrahanurnaama = by name Vajrahanu; parvatopamaana = who was resembling a mountain; kruddhaH = becoming enraged; parilihan = licking; sR^ikkaam = the corners of his mouth; jihvayaa = with his tongue; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = those words.
Then, a demon by name Vajrahanu who was resembling a mountain, becoming enraged and licking the corners of his mouth with his tongue, spoke as follows:
svairam kurvantu kāryāṇi bhavanto vigata jvarāḥ || 6-8-22
eko aham bhakṣayiṣyāmi tān sarvān hari yūthapān |
svasthāḥ krīḍantu niścintāḥ pibantu madhu vāruṇīm || 6-8-23
22b-23. bhavantaH = you; kurvantu = do; karmaaNi = (your) occupations; svairam = freely; vigata jvaraaH = redeemed of mental pain; kriiDantu = play; svasthaaH = comfortably; pibantu = (and) drink; vaaruNiim madhu = spirituous liquor; nishcintaaH = without worry; aham = I; ekaH = alone; bhakSayiSyaami = will devour; sarvaam = the entire; harivaahiniim = army of monkeys.
"You do your occupations freely redeemed of mental pain, play comfortably and drink spirituous liquor without any worry. I alone will devour the entire army of monkeys."
aham eko haniṣyāmi sugrīvam saha lakṣmaṇam |
sa angadam ca hanūmantam rāmam ca raṇa kunjaram || 6-8-24
24. atra = at this time; aham = I; ekaH = alone; haniSyaami = will kill; sugriivam = Sugreeva; saha lakSmaNam = along with Lakshmana; hanuumantam = Hanuma; sa angadam = along with Angada; sarvaan = (and) all; vaanara amsehca = monkeys."
At this time I alone will kill Sugreeva along with Lakshmana Hanuma along with Angada and all monkeys.
- - - -
ityārṣe śrīmadrāmāyaṇe ādikāvye aṣṭamaḥ sargaḥ
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© June 2003, K. M. K. Murthy