Fight again ensues between monkeys and demons, when Makaraksha enters the battle-field. The monkeys get frightened of Makaraksha's arrows and begin to run away. Rama comes in and intercepts the demons with his hail of arrows. Makaraksha challenges Rama to fight with him. Rama tears off the arrows hurled by Makaraksha and Makaraksha broke the arrows released by Rama. Finally, Rama breaks the chariot and its horses of his chariot, stands on the ground, takes a splendorous spike in his hand to fight and hurls it on Rama. Rama chops it off with his four arrows. When Makaraksha rushes towards Rama to fight with his fist, Rama hurls a mystic missile from his bow and kills him on the spot. The demons get frightened and run away to Lanaka.
निर्गतं मकराक्षं ते दृष्ट्वा वानरपुंगवाः |
आप्लुत्य सहसा सर्वे योद्धुकामा व्यवस्थ्ताः || ६-७९-१
1. dR^iShTvaa = on seeing; makaraakSham = Makaraksha; nirgatam = having come forth; sarve = all; te = those; vaanarapuN^gavaaH = chiefs of the monkeys; sahasaa aaplutya = having jumped up at once; avasthitaaH = took their positions; yoddhu kaamaaH = with intent to give fight.
On seeing Markaraksha come out, all those chiefs of monkeys, leaping all at once, took their positions, with intent to give fight.
ततः प्रवृत्तं सुमहत्तद्युद्धं रोमहर्षणम् |
निशाचरैः प्लवंगानां देवानां दानवैरिव || ६-७९-२
2. tataH = thereafter; tat = that; sumahat = very great; yuddham = battle; pravR^ittam = occurred; plavaN^gaanaam = between monkeys; nishaacharaiH = and demons; romaharShaNam = which caused the hair to bristle; devaanaam iva = as between celestials; danavaiH = and demons.
Thereafter, a very great battle ensued between monkeys and demons, which caused one's hair to bristle, like the encounter between celestials and demons.
वृक्षशूलनिपातैश्च गदापरिघपातनैः |
अन्योन्यं मर्दयन्ति स्म तदा कपिनिशाचराः || ६-७९-३
3. kapinishaacharaaH = the monkeys and the demons; tadaa = then; vR^ikSha shuulanipaataiH cha = by hurling trees and spikes; gadaaparigha paatanaiH = and by throwing maces and clubs; mardayantisma = began to crush; anyonyam = each other.
The monkeys and demons then, by hurling trees and spikes and by throwing maces and clubs, began to crush each other.
शक्तिखड्गगदाकुनैस्तोमरैश्च निशाचराः |
पट्टिशैर्भिन्दिपालैश्च बाणपातैः समन्ततः || ६-७९-४
पाशमुद्गरदण्डैश्च निर्गातैश्चापरैस्तथा |
कदनं कपिसिम्हानाम् चक्रुस्ते रजनीचराः || ६-७९-५
4; 5. te nishaacharaaH = those demons; rajaniicharaaH = who were prowlers of might; kadanam chakruH = made a slaughter; kapisimhaanaam = of the lions among the monkeys; shaktikhaDgagadaakunaiH = by means of their javelins; swords; maces; spears; tomaraishcha = and lances; paTTishaiH = sharp-edged spears; bhindipaalaishcha = Bhindipalas (slings for throwing stones); baaNapaataiH = throws of arrows; paashamudgaradaN^DaiH cha = nooses; mallets and staffs; nirghaataiH = missiles; tathaa = and; anyaishcha = other weapons; samantataH = on all sides.
Those demons, who were prowlers of might, made a slaughter of the lions among the monkeys, by means of their javelins, swords, maces, spears, lances, sharp edged spears, Bhindipalas (slings for throwing stones), nooses, mallets, staffs, missiles and other weapons and by throwing arrows on all sides.
बाणौघैरर्दिताश्चापि खरपुत्रेण वानराः |
संभ्रान्तमनसः सर्वे दुद्रुवुर्भयपीडिताः || ६-७९-६
6. arditaaH = tormented; baaNanghaiH = with a multitude of arrows; kharaputreNa = by Makaraksha; sarve = all; vaanaraaH = the monkeys; sambhraanta manasaH = were bewildered in mind; bhayapiiDitaaH = agonized with fear; dudruvuH = and ran away.
Tormented by Makaraksha with a multitude of arrows, all the monkeys were bewildered in mind, agonized with fear and ran away.
तान् दृष्ट्वा राक्षसाः सर्वे द्रवमाणान् वनौकसः |
नेदुस्ते सिंहवद्दृप्ता राक्षसा जितकाशिनः || ६-७९-७
7.dR^iShTvaa = on seeing; taan = those; vanaukasaH = monkeys; dravamaaNaam = fleeing; sarve = all; raakShasaaH = the demons; dR^iptaaH = who were arrogant; simhavat = like lions; neduH = roared; jitakaashinaH = assuming a triumplant feeling.
On seeing those monkeys fleeing, all the arrogant demons roared like lions, assuming a triumphant feeling.
विद्रवत्सु तदा तेषे वानरेषु समन्ततः |
रामस्तान्वारमायास शरवर्षेण राक्षसान् || ६-७९-८
8. teShu vaanareShu = (while) those monkeys; vidravatsu = were fleeing; samantataH = on all sides; raamaH = Rama; tadaa = then; vaarayaamaasa = obstructed; taan = those; raakShasaan = demons; sharavarSheNa = with a shower of arrows.
While those monkeys were fleeing on all sides, Rama then, with a shower of arrows, intercepted those demons on that occasion.
वारितान् राक्षसान् दृष्ट्वा मकराक्षो निशाचरः |
कोपानलसमाविष्टो वचनं चेदमब्रवीत् || ६-७९-९
9. dR^iShTvaa = seeing raakShasaan = the demons; vaaritaan = being intercepted; makaraakShaH = Makaraksha; nishaacharaH = the demon moving about by night; kopaanala samaaviShTaH = engrossed in a fire of anger; abraviit = spoke; idam vachanamcha = the following words.
Seeing Rama thus interrupting the demons, Makaraksha, the demon, engrossed in a fire of anger, spoke the following words:
तिष्ठ राम मया सार्थं द्वन्द्वयुद्धं भविष्यति |
त्याजयुष्यामि ते प्राणान् धनुर्मुक्तैः शितैः शरैः || ६-७९-१०
10. tiShTa = pause; raama = O Rama; bhaviShyati = there will be; dvandvayuddham = a dual; mayaa saardham = with me; tyaajayiShyaami te praaNaan = I will make your lives to quit; shitaiH sharaiH = by the sharp arrows; dhanurmuktaiH = discharged from my bow.
"Pause, O Rama! You will have a dual with me. I will make your life to quit, by the sharp arrows discharged from my bow."
यत्तदा दण्डकारण्ये पितरं हतवान्मम |
तदग्रतः स्वकर्मस्थं दृष्ट्वा रोषोऽभिवर्धते || ६-७९-११
11. yat = for which reason; hatavaan = you killed; mama pitaram = my father; daN^DakaaraNya = in the forest of Dandaka; tadaa = at that itme; tat = for that reason; roShaH = my anger; abhivardhate = is getting augmented; dR^iShTvaa = in seeing; agrataH svakarmastham = you in front engaged in such nefarious acts.
"Since you killed my father on that day in Dandaka forest, my anger is still growing violent, when I think of you engaged in such nefarious acts".
दह्यन्ते भृशमङ्गानि दुरात्मन्मम राघव |
यन्मयासि न दृष्टस्त्वं तस्मिन् काले महावने || ६-७९-१२
12. duraatman = O evil minded; raagava = Rama!; yat = since; tvam = you; nadR^iShTaH asi = were not being seen; tasmin kaale = from that time; mayaa = by me; mahaa vane = in that huge forest; mama = my; aN^gaani = limbs; bhR^isham = were very much; dahyante = being fumed.
"O evil minded Rama! Since you were not being seen by me from that time in that large forest, my limbs were getting very much fumed."
दिष्ट्यासि दर्मनं राम मम त्वं प्राप्तवानिह |
कांक्षितोऽसि क्षुधार्तस्य सिम्हस्येवेतरो मृगः || ६-७९-१३
13. diShTyaa = by a good fortune; tvam = you; praaptavaan = got; mama darshanam = my sight; iha = here; raama = O Rama!; kaankShitaH asi = you are being sought; kShudhaavtasya simhasya iva = as a lion in hunger; itaraH mR^igaH iva = (seeks) other animal (to eat).
"By a good fortune, you came into my sight here, O Rama! You are being sought by me, as a lion in hunger seeks other animal to eat."
अद्य मद्बाणवेगेन प्रेतराड्विषयं गतः |
ये त्वया निहताः शूराः सह तैश्च वसिष्यसि || ६-७९-१४
14. adya = now; madbaaNa vegena = by the flight of my arrows; gataH tvayaa = (you) having gone; pretaraaDviShayam = to the world of Death; vasiShyasicha = you will reside; taiH shuuraaH saha = with those warriors; ye = who; nihataaH = were killed; tvayaa = by you (earlier).
"Now, by the flight of my arrows, you will go to the world of Death and reside there with those warriors, who were killed by you earlier."
बहुनात्र किमुक्तेन शृणु राम वचो मम |
पश्यन्तु सकला लोकास्त्वां मां चैव रणाजिरे || ६-७९-१५
15. raama = O Rama!; kim = what is the use; uktena = by telling; bahunaa = too much; atra = on this topic?; shruNu = hear; mama = my; vachaH = words; sakalaaH = all; lokaaH = the worlds; pashyantu = will look at; tvaam = you; maam chaiva = and me; raNaajire = in the battle-front.
"O Rama! What is the use, by telling too much on this topic? Hear my words. All the worlds will look at you and me, in this battle-front."
अस्त्रैर्वा गदया वापि बाहुभ्यां वा रणाजिरे |
अभ्यस्तं येन वा राम वर्ततां तेन वा मृधम् || ६-७९-१६
16. raama = O Rama!; mR^idham = the battle; vartataam = will go on; raNaajire = in the battle-field; astrairvaa = either with the weapons; gadayaachaapi = or with a mace; baahubhyaam = or our arms; yena tena vaa = or by those means; abhyastam = learnt (by you).
"O Rama! The battle will proceed in the battle-field, either with the weapons, or with a mace or by our arms or by any other means as learnt by you."
मकराक्षवचः श्रुत्वा रामो दशरथात्मजः |
अब्रवीत्प्रहसम् वाक्यमुत्तरोत्तरवादिनम् || ६-७९-१७
17. shrutvaa = hearing; makarakshavachaH = the words of Makaraksha; raamaH = Rama; dasharathaatmajah = the son of Dasaratha; prahasan = laughingly; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = the following worlds; uttarottaravaadinam = to him who was talking further and further (without interruption).
Hearing the words of Makaraksha, Rama the son of Dasaratha laughingly spoke the following words to him, who was still talking further and further (without interruption).
कत्थसे किं वृथा रक्षो बहून्यसदृशानि ते |
न रणे शक्यते जेतुं विना युद्धेन वाग्बलात् || ६-७९-१८
18. rakShaH = O; demon!; kim katthase = why are you boasting yourself; bahuuni asadR^ishaani = with so many unworthy words; vR^ithaa = in vain?; yuddhena vinaa = without fighting; raNe = in the battle-field; nashakyam = it is not possible; te = for you; jetum = to attain victory; vaagbalaat = with the strength of a mere speech.
"O demon! Why are you boasting yourself with so many unworthy words, in vain? Without fighting in the battle-field, it is well nigh impossible for you to attain victory with the strength of a mere speech."
चतुर्दश सहस्राणि रक्षसां त्वत्पिता च यः |
त्रिशिरा दूषणश्चापि दण्डके निहता मया || ६-७९-१९
19. chaturdasha = fourteen; sahasraaNi = thousand; rakShasaam = demons; (Khara); yaH = who; tvatpitaa = was your father; trishiraaH = Trishira; duuShaNashchaapi = and even Dushana; nihataaH = were killed; mayaa = by me; daN^Dake = in Dandaka-forest.
"I killed fourteen thousand demons along with Khara your father, Trishira and even Dushana in Dandaka forest."
स्वाशिताश्चापि मांसेन गृध्रगोमायुवायसाः |
भविष्यन्त्यद्य वै पाप तीक्षणतुण्डनखाङ्कुराः || ६-७९-२०
20. paapa = O sinful one!; adya = today; gR^idhragomaayuvaayasaaH = vultures; jackals and crows; tiikShNatuN^Dana khaaN^kuraaH = with their sharp beaks and goad-like claws; bhaviShyanti = will be; svaashitaaH = satiated; maamsena = with your flesh.
"O sinful one! Today, vultures jackals and crows with their sharp beaks and goad-like claws will be satiated with your flesh."
राघवेणैवमुक्तस्तु मकराक्षो महाबलः |
बाणौघानमुचत्तस्मै राघवाय रणाजिरे || ६-७९-२१
21. evam = thus; uktaH = spoken; raaghaveNa = by Rama; mahaabalaH = the mighty; makaraakShaH = Makaraksha; amuchat = discharged; baaNaugham = a multitude of arrows; tasmaiH raaghavaaya = on that Rama; raNaajire = in the battle field.
Hearing Rama's words, the mighty Makaraksha discharged a multitude of arrows on that Rama in the battle-field.
रान् शरान् शरवर्षेण रामश्चिच्छेद नैअधा |
निपेतुर्भुवि ते चिन्ना रुक्मपुङ्खाः सहस्रशः || ६-७९-२२
22. raamaH = Rama; chichheda = tore; taan = those; sharaan = arrows; naikadhaa = in many ways; sharavarSheNa = by his array of arrows; te = those arrows; rukmapuNkhaaH = which were provided with golden shafts; nipetuH = fell; bhuvi = to the ground; chhinnaaH = when torn; saharashaH = in thousands.
Rama tore those arrows in many ways, by his array of arrows. Those arrows, which were provided with golden shafts, fell to the ground, when torn in thousands.
तद्युद्धमभवत्तत्र समेत्यान्योन्यमोजसा |
खरराक्षसपुत्रस्य सूनोर्दशरथस्य च || ६-७९-२३
23. tat = that; yuddham = battle; abhavat = raged; ojasaa = furiously; sametya = on their meeting; anyonyam = each other; tatra = there; khararaakShasaputrasya = between Makaraksha the son of Khara the demon; dasharathasya suunoH cha = and Rama the son of Dasaratha.
That battle raged furiously, on their meeting each other there, between Makaraksha the son of Khara the demon and Rama the son of Dasaratha.
जीमूतयोरिवाकाशे शब्दो ज्यातलयोस्तदा |
धनुर्मुक्तः स्वनोत्कृष्टः श्रूयते च रणाजिरे || ६-७९-२४
24. tadaa = then; shabdaH = the sound; dhanurmuktaH = emanated by the bows; svanotkruShTaH = with a great resonance; shruuyate cha = was heard; raNaajire = on the battle-front; jiiyuutayoriva = like the rumbling of clouds; aakaashe = in space.
Then, the sound emanated by the bows, with a great resonance, was heard on the battle-front, like the rumbling of clouds in space.
देवदानवगन्धर्वाः किम्नराश्च महोरगाः |
अन्तरिक्षगताः सर्वे द्रष्टुकामास्तदद्भुतम् || ६-७९-२५
25. draShTukaamaaH = with an intent to see; tat adbhutam = that wonderful battle; sarve = all; devadaanavagandharvaaH = the celestials; the demons; the celestial musicians; kinnaraashcha = mythical beings; mahoragaaH = and the great serpents; antarikShagataaH = arrived at the sky.
With an intent to see that wonderful battle, all the celestials, the demons, the celestial musicians kinnaras the mythical beings and Mahoragas the great serpents reached the sky.
विद्धमन्योन्यगात्रेषु द्विगुणं वर्धते बलम् |
कृतप्रतिकृतान्योन्यं कुरुतां तौ रणाजिरे || ६-७९-२६
26. anyonyagaatreShuviddham = (Through) the limbs of both were pierced by each other; balam = their strength; dviguNam vardhate = was redoubled; tau = the two warriors; kR^itapratikR^itaanyonyam = inflicted wounds on each other and returned the blows of the other; raNaajire = in the battle-front; kurutaam = and performed the combat.
Though the limbs of both were pierced by each other, their strength was redoubled. The two warriors inflicted wounds on each other, returned the blows of the other in the battle-front and continued the combat.
राममुक्तांस्तु बाणौघान् राक्षसस्त्वच्छिनद्रणे |
रक्षोमुक्तांस्तु रामो वै नैकधा प्राच्छिनच्छरैः || ६-७९-२७
27. raNe = in the battle; raakShasaH = that demon; achchhinat = broke off; baaNaughaan = the multitude of arrows; raama muktaan = discharged by Rama; raamaH = Rama; praachchhinat = snapped off; naikadhaa = in many ways; sharaiH = the arrows; rakShomuktaan = released by the demon.
In the battle, that demon broke the multitude of arrows discharged by Rama. Rama snapped off, in many ways, the arrows released by the demon.
बाणौघवितताः सर्वा दिशश्च प्रदिशस्तथा |
संचन्ना वसुधा चव समन्तान्न प्रकाशते || ६-७९-२८
28. sarvaaH = all; dishashcha = the four quarters; tathaa = and; pradishaH = the intermediate points; baaNaugha vitataaH = were diffused with a multitude of arrows; vasudhaachaiva = even the earth; samchchhannaa = was covered; samantataa = on all sides; na prakaashate = and did not become visible.
All the four quarters and the intermediate points were diffused with a multitude of arrows. Even the earth was covered on all sides and did not become visible.
ततः क्रुद्धो महाबाहुर्धनुश्चिच्छेद संयुगे |
अष्टाभिरथ नाराचैः सूतं विव्याध राघवः || ६-७९-२९
29. tataH = then; mahaabaahuH = the long armed; raaghavaH = Rama; kruddhaH = enraged; samyuge = in battle; chichheda = broke up; dhanuH = the bow (of the demon); atha = thereupon; aShTaabhiH naaraachaiH = by his eight iron arrows; vivyaadha = struck; suutam = the charioteer.
Then, the long-armed Rama, full of anger in battle, broke off the bow of the demon. Thereupon, by his eight iron arrows, struck the charioteer.
भित्त्वा रथं शरै रामो हत्वा अश्वाअम[आतौअत् |
विरथो वसुधास्थः स मकराक्षो निशाचरः || ६-७९-३०
30. raamaH = Rama; bhittvaa = breaking; ratham = the chariot; sharaiH = with his arrows; hatvaa = and killing; ashvaan = the horses; apaatayat = made them to fall down; saH makaraakShaH = that Makaraksha; nishaacharaH = the demon; virathaH = bereft of his chariot; vasudhaasthaH = stood on the ground.
Rama, breaking the chariot with his arrows and killing its horses, made them to fall down dead. That Makaraksha the demon, bereft of his chariot, stood on the ground.
तत्तिष्ठद्वसुधां रक्षः शूलं जग्राह पाणिना |
त्रासनम् सर्वभूतानां युगान्ताग्निसमप्रभम् || ६-७९-३१
31. tat = that; rakShaH = demon; tiShThat vasudhaam = standing on the ground; jagraaha = took; paaNinaa = into his hand; shuulam = a spike; traasanam = which created fright; sarva bhuutaanaam = among all living beings; yugaantaagni samaprabham = and whose splendour was equal to that of fire at the end of the world.
That demon, standing on the ground, took into his hand, a spike, which created fright among all living beings and whose splendour was equal to the fire at the end of the world.
दुरवापं महच्छूलं रुद्रदत्तं भयंकरम् |
जाज्वल्यमानमाकाशे संहारास्त्रमिवापरम् || ६-७९-३२
यं दृष्ट्वा देवताः सर्वा भयार्ता विद्रुता दिशः |
32. mahat shuulam = (He took) that great spike; yam dR^iShTvaa = by seeing which; sarvaaH devataaH = all the godheads; bhayaartaaH = were afflicted with fear; vidrutaah = and fled; dishaH = to different directions; duravaapam = which was difficult to be obtained; rudradattam = which was gifted by Rudra; one of the eight forms of Shiva the lord of dissolution; bhayamkaram = which was terrible; jaajvalyamaanam = which flamed violently; aakaasho = in the sky; aparam samhaaraastram iva = like another weapon of destruction.
That great spike, which was difficult to be obtained, was gifted to him by Rudra, one of the eight forms of Shiva the Lord of Dissolution. That terrible spike, which flamed violently in the sky, looked like another new weapon of destruction of the world. On seeing it, all the godheads were afflicted with fear and fled to different quarters.
विभ्राम्य च महच्चूलं प्रज्वलन्तं निशाचरः || ६-७९-३३
स क्रोधात्प्राहिणोत्तस्मै राघवाय महात्मने |
33. vibhraamyacha = whirling; mahat = that great; shuulam = spike; prajvalantam = which was flaming; nishaacharaH = that demon; krodhaat = in rage; praahiNot = hurled it; tasmai mahaatmane raaghavaaya = against that great-souled Rama.
Brandishing that flaming great spike, that enraged demon hurled it against that great-souled rama.
तमापतन्तं ज्वलितं खरपुत्रकराच्च्युतम् || ६-७९-३४
बाणैश्चतुर्भिराकाशे शूलं च्छेद राघवः |
34. raaghavaH = Rama; chichcheda = broke; chaturbhiH baaNaiH = by his four arrows; tam shuulam = that spike; jvalitam = which was flaming; chyutam = coming forth from; kharaputrakaraat = the arm of Makaraksha; aapatntam = rushing towards him; aakaashe = in the sky.
Rama broke, by his four arrows, that flaming spike coming forth from Makaraksha's arm and rushing towards him in the sky.
स भिन्नो नैकधा शूलो दिव्यहाटकमण्डितः || ६-७९-३५
व्यशीर्यत महोल्केव रामबाणार्दितो भुवि |
35. saH shuulaH = that spike; divyahaaTakamaN^DitaH = adored with charming gold; bhinnaH = broken; naikadhaa = in many ways; raamabaaNaarditaH = and tormented by Rama's arrows; vyashiiryata = fell scattered; bhuvi = on the earth; maholkena = like a mighty meteor.
That spike, adored with charming gold, broken in many ways, struck by Rama's arrows, fell scattered on the earth, like a mighty meteor.
तच्छूलं निहतम् दृष्ट्वा रामेणाक्लिष्टकर्मणा || ६-७९-३६
साधुसाध्विति भूतानि व्याहरन्ति नभोगताः |
36. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; tam = that; shuulam = spike; nihatam = struck; raameNa = by Rama; akliShTakarmaNaa = who was unwearied in action; bhuutaani = the beings; nabhogataaH = standing in the air; vyaaharanti = cried; saadhu saadhu iti = saying 'excellent; excellent!'.
Seeing that spike struck by Rama, who was unwearied in action, the beings standing in the air, cried, saying 'Excellent, Excellent!'.
तं दृष्ट्वा निहतं शूलं मकराक्षो निशाचरः || ६-७९-३७
मुष्टिमुद्यम्य काकुत्थ्सं तिष्ठ तिष्ठेति चाब्रवीत् |
37. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; tam shuulam = that spike nihatam = destroyed; makaraakShaH = Makaraksha; nishaacharaH = the demon; udyamya = rising; muShTim = his fist; abraviit = called out; kakutthsam = to Rama; iti = saying; tiShTha tiShTha = "Wait; Wait!".
Seeing that spike destroyed, Makaraksha the demon, rising his fist, called out to Rama, saying "Wait, Wait!".
स तं दृष्ट्वापतन्तं तु प्रहस्य रघुनन्दनः || ६-७९-३८
पावकास्त्रं ततो रामः संदधे तु शरासने |
38. tataH = then; dR^iShTvaa = seeing; tam = him; aapatantam = rushing towards him; saH raamaH = that Rama; raghunandanaH = the delight of Raghu dynasty; prahasya = while smiling; samdadhe sharaasane = fitted to his bow; paavakaastram = a mystic missile presided over by fire.
Then, seeing Makaraksha rushing towards him, that Rama the delight of Raghu dynasty, while smiling, fitted to his bow, a mystic missile presided over by fire.
तेनास्त्रेण हतं रक्षः काकुत्स्थेन तदा रणे || ६-७९-३९
सच्छिन्नहृदयं तत्र पपात च ममार च |
39. hatam = struck; tena astreNa = by that missile; kaakutthsena = by Rama; rakShaH = the demon; tadaa = then; bhinna hR^idayam sat = with his heart split open; papaata = fell down; mamaaracha = dead; tatra = there; raNe = in the battle-field.
Struck by that missile by Rama, the demon with his heart split open, fell down dead then and there, in the battle-field.
दृष्ट्वा ते राक्षसाः सर्वे मकराक्षस्य पातनम् || ६-७९-४०
लङ्कामेव प्रधावन्त रामबाणभयार्दिताः |
40. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; paatanam = the fall; makaraakShasya = of Makaraksha; sarve = all; te raakShasaaH = those demons; raamabaaNa bhayaarditaaH = tormented by the fear of Rama's arrows; pradhaavanta = ran away; laN^kaameva = straight to Lanka.
Seeing the fall of Makaraksha, all those demons, tormented by the fear of Rama's arrows, ran away straight to Lanka.
रजनिचरं निहतम् खरात्मजं तम् |
प्रददृशुरथ देवताः प्रहृष्टा |
गिरिमिव वज्रहतं यथा विकीर्णम् || ६-७९-४१
41. prahR^iShTaaH = thrilled with delight; devataaH = the celestials; tam rajanicharam pradadR^ishuH = (watched) that demon; kharaatmajam = the son of Khara; nihatam = destroyed; dasharatha nR^ipa suunu baaNa vegaiH = by the flighs of Rama's arrows; girimiva = like a mountain; vikiirNam = shattered; vajrahatam = after struck by lightning.
Thrilled with delight, the celestials watched that demon, the son of Khara, destroyed by the flights of Rama's arrows and resembling a mountain shattered, after struck by lightning.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे वाल्मीकीये आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे नवसप्ततितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© August 2008, K. M. K. Murthy