Ravana orders Makaraksha to proceed to the battle-field with an army and to kill Rama, Lakshmana and the monkeys. Makaraksha, surrounded by his army of demons, set out for the encounter. Makaraksha's whip and flag staff fall down all of a sudden, by the will of providence and a dust-storm ensued. Ignoring those portents, Makaraskha's army march forward in the battle-field, to reach Rama and Lakshmana.
निकुम्भं निहतं श्रुत्वा कुम्भम् च विनिपातितम् |
रावणः परमामर्षी प्रजज्वालानलो यथा || ६-७८-१
1. shrutvaa = hearing; nikumbham = Nikumbha; nihatam = was killed; kumbham cha = and Kumbha also; vinipaatitam = was lost; raavaNaH = Ravana; paramaamarShii = was very much enraged; prajajvaala = fiercely analoyathaa = like fire.
On hearing of Nikumbha and Kumbha having been killed, Ravana was very much flared up like fire.
नैरृतः क्रोधशोकाभ्यां द्वाभ्यां तु परिमूर्चितः |
खरपुत्र विशालाक्षं मकराक्षमचोदयत् || ६-७८-२
2. parimuurchchhitaH = pervaded with; dvaabhyaam krodha shokaabhyaam = both anger and sorrow; nairR^itaH = Ravana; achodayat = impelled; vishaalaakSham = the wide-eyed; makaraakSham = Makaraksha; kharaputram = the son of Khara (as follows):
Engulfed with both anger and sorrow, Ravana ordered the wide-eyed Makaraksha, the son of Khara (as follows):
गच्छ पुत्र मयाज्ञप्तो बलेनाभिसमन्वितः |
राघवं लक्ष्मणम् चैव जहि तौ सवनौकसौ || ६-७८-३
3. aaJNaptaH = commanded; mayaa = by me; abhisamanvitaH = and accompanied; balena = by an army; gachchha = go; putra = my son; jahi = and kill; tau = those; raaghavam = Rama; lakShmaNam chaiva = and even Lakshmana; savanaukasau = together with the monkeys.
"I am commanding you! Accompanied by an army, go my son! Kill Rama, Lakshmana and the monkeys."
तावणस्य वचः श्रुत्वा शूरमानी खरात्मजः |
बाढमित्यब्रवीद्धृष्टो मकराक्षो निशाचारम् || ६-७८-४
4. shrutvaa = hearing; raavaNasya vachah = Ravana's words; makaraakShaH = Makaraksha; kharaatmajaH = the son of Khara; shuuramaanii = thinking himself as a hero; hR^iShTaH = was please; abraviit = and spoke; nishaacharam = to Ravana; baaDham iti = that (he would do it) certainly.
Hearing Ravana's words, Makaraksha, the son of Khara, thinking himself as a hero, was rejoiced and assured Ravana that he would do it certainly as commanded.
सोऽभिवाद्य दशग्रीवं कृत्वा चापि प्रदक्षिणम् |
निर्जगाम गृहाच्छुभ्राद्रावणस्याज्ञया बली || ६-७८-५
5. abhivaadya = having respectfully saluted; pradakShiNam kR^itvaa chaapi = even by performing circumambulation; balii = the mighty; saH = Makaraksha; aaJNayaa dashagriivam = by the orders of Ravana; nirjagaama = came forth; shubhraat gR^ihaat = from the shining palace (of Ravana).
Having respectfully saluted, even by performing circumambulation, the mighty Makaraksha, by the orders of Ravana, came forth from these shining palace of Ravana.
समीपस्थं बलाध्यक्षं खरपुत्रोऽब्रवीद्वचः |
रथमानीयतां तूर्णम् सैन्यं त्वानीयतां त्वरात् || ६-७८-६
6. kharaputraH = Makaraksha the son of Khara; abraviit = spoke; vachaH = the following words; balaadhyakSham = to the commander of an army; samiipastham = who was in the vicinity (as follows); ratham aaniiyataam = let a chariot be brought; tuurNam = quickly; sainyam = and the army; aaniiyataam = be arranged; tvaraat = swiftly.
Makaraksha the son of Khara asked the commander of an army who was in the vicinity to bring a chariot and the army swiftly.
तस्य तद्वचनम् श्रुत्वा बलाध्यक्षो निशाचरः |
स्यन्दनं च बलं चैव समीपं प्रत्यपादयत् || ६-७८-७
7. shrutvaa = hearing; tasya tadvachanam = his words; nishaacharaH = a demons; balaadhyakShaH = being the commander of an army; pratyapaadayat = brought; syandavamcha = the chariot; balamchaiva = and the army; samiipam = to his proximity.
Hearing his words, the army-commander of the demons brought the chariot and the army to his proximity.
प्रदक्षिणं रथं कृत्वा समाहूय निशाचरः |
सूतं संचोदयामास शीग्रं वै रथ मावह || ६-७८-८
8. pradakShiNam kR^itvaa = walking clockwise round; ratham = the chariot; samuuhaaya = and calling; suutam = the charioteer; nishaacharaH = Makaraksha; samchodayaamaasa = incited him; aavaha = to drive; ratham = the chariot; shiighram = quickly.
Walking clockwise round the chariot and ascending it, Makaraksha asked the charioteer to drive forward the chariot quickly to the battle-field.
अथ तान् राक्षसान् सर्वान् मकराक्षोऽब्रवीदिदम् |
यूयं सर्वे प्रयुध्यध्वं पुरस्तान्मम राक्षसाः || ६-७८-९
.9. atha = then; makarakShaH = Makaraksha; abraviit = spoke; idam = these words; sarvaan = to all; raakShasaan = demons; sarve = all; yuuyam = of you; prayudhyadhvam = begin to fight; mama purastaat = in my presence; raakShasaaH = O; demons!.
Then Makaraksha spoke the following words to those demons, "O demons! All of you begin your fight before my presence."
अहं राक्षसराजेन रावणेन महात्मना |
आज्ञ्प्तः समरे हन्तुं रावुभौ रामल्क्ष्मणौ || ६-७८-१०
10. aham = I; aJNaptaH = was commanded; mahaatmanaa raavaNena = by the mighty Ravana; raakShasa raajena = the king of demons; hantum = to kill; tau raamalakShmaNau = both Rama and Lakshmana; samara = in battle.
"The mighty Ravana, the king of demons commanded me to kill both Rama and Lakshmana in battle."
अद्य रामं वधिष्यामि लक्ष्मणम् च निशाचराः |
शाखामृगं च सुग्रीवं वानरांश्च शरोत्तमैः || ६-७८-११
11. adya = today; vadhiShyaami = I will kill; raamam = Rama; lakShmaNam cha = Lakshmana; sugriivam cha = Sugreeva; shaakhaamR^igam = the monkey; vaanaraan cha = and the (other) monkeys; sharottamaiH = with my excellent arrows; nishaacharaaH = O; demons!.
"Today, I will kill Rama, Lakshmana, Sugreeva the monkey and the other monkeys with my excellent arrows, O demons!"
अद्य शूलनिपातैश्च वानराणां महाचमूम् |
प्रदहिष्यामि संप्राप्तां शुष्केन्धनमिवानलः || ६-७८-१२
12. shuulanipaataiH = by the hurlings of spears; pradahiShyaami = I will completely destroy; mahaachamuum = the huge army; vaanaraaNaam = of monkeys; sampraaptaam = who arrived ; adya = today; analaH iva = like when the fire; shuShkendhanam = destroys dry wood.
"By hurling the spears, I will destroy completely the huge army of monkeys who arrived today to the battle-field, as the fire destroys the dry wood."
मकराक्षस्य तच्छ्रुत्वा वचनं ते निशाचराः |
सर्वे नानायुधोपेता बलवन्तः समाहिताः || ६-७८-१३
13. shrutvaa = hearing; tat vachanam = those words; makaraakShasya = of Makaraksha; sarve = all; te = those; balavantaH = strong; nishaacharaaH = demons; naanaayudhopetaaH = wielding various kinds of weapons; samaahitaaH = were steadfast (to fight).
Hearing those words of Makaraksha, all those strong demons, wielding various kinds of weapons, were steadfast to fight.
ते कामरूपिणः क्रूरा दंष्ट्रिणः पिङ्गलेक्षणाः |
मातङ्ग इव नर्दन्तो ध्वस्तकेशा भयावहाः || ६-७८-१४
परिवार्य महाकाया महाकायं खरात्मजम् |
अभिजघ्नस्ततो हृष्टाश्चलयन्तो नभस्तलम् || ६-७८-१५
14; 15. te kruuraaH = the cruel demons; kaamaruupiNah = who can change their forms at will; damShTriNaH = with their protruding tusks; piN^galekShaNaaH = with tawny coloured eyes; dhvantakeshaaH = with their disheveled hair; bhayaavahaaH = creating terror; mahaakaayaaH = with their colossal bodies; tataH = then; nardantaH = roaring; maataNgaaH iva = like elephants; parivaarya = having surrounded; mahaakaayam kharaatmajam = the huge-bodied Makaraksha; hR^iShTaaH = were overjoyed; abhijaghnuH = and marched forward; chaalayantaH = shaking; nabhastalam = the firmament.
Those cruel demons, who can change their forms at will, who had protruding tusks, had tawny coloured eyes, had their disheveled hair, creating terror with their colossal bodies, then marched forward like roaring elephants, shaking the firmament and surrounded the huge-bodied Makaraksha.
शङ्खभेरीसहस्राणामाहतानां समन्ततः |
क्ष्वेलितास्फोटितानां च तत्र महानभूत् || ६-७८-१६
16. tatra abhuut = there arose; aahataanaam = sounded; samantataH = on all sides; mahaan = a great; shabdaH = tumult; shaN^kha bherii sahasraaNaam = of thousands of couches and kettle-drums; kShvelitaasphoTitaanaam cha = leonine roars and clapping of arms.
There arose a great tumult sounded, on all sides, of thousands of couches and kettle-drums including leonine roars and clapping of arms.
प्रभ्रष्टोऽथ करात्तस्य प्रतोदः सारथेस्तदा |
पपात सहसा दैवाद्ध्वजस्तस्य तु रक्षसः || ६-७८-१७
17. atha = thereupon; tasya saarathaH karaat = from that charioteers hand; pratodaH = the long whip; tadaa = then; prabhraShTaH = fell down; dhvajaH = and the flag-staff; tasya rakShasaH = of that demon; sahasaa = suddenly; papaata = fell down; daivaat = by the will of the province.
The long whip then slipped down from the hands of Makaraksha's charioteer and the flag-staff of that demon also suddenly fell down by the will of the province.
तस्य ते रथसम्युक्ता हया विक्रमवर्जिताः |
चरणैराकुलैर्गत्वा दीनाः सास्रमुखा ययुः || ६-७८-१८
18. te hayaaH = those horses; tasya ratha samyuktaaH = yoked to his chariot; vikramavarjitaaH = deprived of their diversified gait; gatvaa = were walking; aakulaiH charaNaiH = with flurried feet; yuyuH = and went; dinaaH = timidly; sasrumukhaaH = with tears in their eyes.
Those horses, yoked to his chariot, deprived of their diversified gait, were walking with flurried feet and went timidly, with tears in their eyes.
प्रवाति पवनस्तस्मिन् सपांसुः खरदारुणः |
निर्याणे तस्य रौद्रस्य मकराक्षस्य दुर्मतेः || ६-७८-१९
19. tasmin niryaaNe = at the time of marching; tasya makaraakShasya = of that Makaraksha; raudrasya = of dreadful appearance; durmateH = and of bad disposition of mind; pavanaH = the wind; sapaamsuH = with dust; khara daaruNaH = which was dreadfully harsh; pravaati = blew forth.
At the time of marching of that dreadful and evil-minded Makaraksha, a harsh and fearful dust-storm blew forth.
तानि दृष्ट्वा निमित्तानि राक्षसा वीर्यवत्तमाः |
अचिन्त्य निर्गताः सर्वे यत्र तौ रामलक्ष्मणौ || ६-७८-२०
20. dR^iShTvaa = (Though) seeing; taani = all those; raakShasaaH = demons; viiryavattamaaH = of high prowess; achintya = ignoring (them); nirgataaH = set out; yatra = where; raamalakShmaNau = those Rama and Lakshmana (were there).
Though seeing those portents, all those highly valiant demons ignored them and set out to the place, where both Rama and Lakshmana were there.
अहमहमिति युद्धकौशलास्ते |
रजनिचराः परिबभ्रामुर्नदन्तः || ६-७८-२१
21. nadantaH = saying thunderously; aham aham iti = "I shall take the lead; I shall take the lead"; te rajaniicharaaH = those demons; ghanagajamahiShaaN^ga tulya varNaaH = who resembled black clouds; elephants and buffaloes in hue; gadaasi bhinnaaH asakR^it = who had been wounded with a pointed weapon more than once by maces and swords; samara mukheShu = in the battle-front; yuddha kaushalaaH = and who were skilled in martial art; paribabhramuH = moved hither and thither (in the battle-field).
Saying thunderously, "I shall take the lead", those demons who resembled black clouds, elephants and buffaloes in hue, who had been wounded pointedly more than once by maces and swords in the battle-front and who were skilled in martial art, moved hither and thither in the battle-field.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे वाल्मीकीये आदिकाव्ये युद्धकांडे अष्टसप्ततितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© July 2008, K. M. K. Murthy
Page transported by FREE Go FTP Client