Having been informed that Atikaya, Dhumraksha, Akampana, Prahasta, Kumbhakarna and other mighty demons are killed in battle, Ravana felt anxious. He is surprised as to how Rama and Lakshmana got released from the bind of arrows, made by Indrajit, his son earlier. He feels that no demon is capable of defeating Rama, Lakshmana, Sugreeva and Vibhishana. He enjoins demons to protect the City of Lanka and even Ashoka garden, where Seetha has been kept in capture. He asks the army not to be indifferent to the movements of the monkey-warriors. After issuing the necessary instruction to his army, he enters deep into his palace and remains boarding over the loss of Atikaya, his son.
अतिकायं हतं श्रुत्वा लक्ष्मणेन महात्मना |
उद्वेगमगमद्राजा वचनम् चेदमब्रवीत् || ६-७१-१
1. shrutvaa = hearing; atkaayam = Atikaya; hatam = killed; mahaatmanaa lakShmaNena = in the hands of the high souled Lakshmana; raajaa = the king; agamat = got; udvegam = an anxiety; abraviit = and spoke; idam = these; vachanam = words:
Hearing Atikaya having been killed in the hands of the great-souled Lakshmana, Ravana was worried and spoke as follows:
धूम्राक्षः परमामर्षी सर्वशस्त्रभृतां वरः |
अकम्पनः प्रहस्तश्च कुम्भकर्णस्त्तथैव च || ६-७१-२
एते महाबला वीरा राक्षसा युद्धकाङिक्षणः |
जेतारः परसैन्यानां परैर्नित्यापराजिताः || ६-७१-३
ससैन्यास्ते हता वीरा रामेणाक्लिष्टकर्मणा |
राक्षसाः सुमहाकाया नानाशस्त्रविशारदाः || ६-७१-४
अन्ये च बहवः शूरा महात्मानो निपातिताः |
2; 3; 4. dhuumraakShaH = Dhumraksha; akampanaH = Akampana; paramaamarShii = greatly impatient; sarvashastrabhR^itaam varaH = excellent among all the wielders of weapons; prahastashcha = Prahasta; tathaivacha = and; kumbhakarNaH = Kumbhakarna; mahaabalaaH = the mighty; viiraaH = and valiant; raakShasaaH = demons; yuddhakaaNkShiNaH = longing for battle; jetaaraH = who conquer; parasainyaanaam = the army of adversaries; nityaaparaajitaaH = never conquered; pariah = by enemies; te viiraaH = those warriors; sasainyaaH = along with their armies; hataaH = were killed; raameNa = by Rama; akliShTa bahavaH = many; karmaaNaam = unwearied in action; bahavaH = many; anye = other; mahaatmanaH = mighty; shuuraaH = warriors; sumahaakaayaaH = with colossal bodies; naanaashastravishaaradaaH = skilled in various kinds of weaponry; vinipaatitaaH = were struck down.
"Dhumraksha, who was greatly impatient Akampana who was excellent among all wielders of weapons, Prahasta and Kumbhakarna were killed by Rama, who was unwearied in battle. The mighty and valiant demons longing for battle, who conquer the adversaries, who was never defeated in battle by the enemies they along with their enemies were killed. Many other mighty warriors.
प्रख्यातबलवीर्येण पुत्रेणेन्द्रजिता मम || ६-७१-५
तौ भ्रातरौ तदा बद्धौ घोरैर्दत्तवरैः शरैः |
5. tadaa = that day; mama patreNa indrajitaa = by Indrajit; my son; prakhyaata bala viiryeNa = having renowned strength and prowess; tau = those two; bhraatrau = brothers; baddhau = were bound; ghoraiH sharaiH = by terrific arrows; dattavaraiH = on which boons had been conferred.
"That day, Indrajit, my son, whose strength and prowess are renowned, bound both Rama and Lakshmana, the brothers with terrific arrows, on which boons had been conferred."
यन्न शक्यम् सुरैः सर्वैरसुरैर्वा महाबलैः || ६-७१-६
मोक्तुम् तद् बन्धनम् घोरं यक्षगन्धर्वपन्नगैः |
तन्न जाने प्रभावैर्वा मायया मोहनेन वा || ६-७१-७
शरबन्धाद्विमुक्तौ तौ भ्रातरौ रामलक्ष्मणौ |
6; 7. tat = that; bandhanam = bondage; yat = which; na shakyam = is not possible; moktum = to be released; sarvaiH suraiH = by all the celestials; mahaabalaiH asurairvaa = or by the mighty demons; yakSha gandharva pannagaiH = or by Yakshas the supernatural beings or Gandharvas the celestials musicians or Pannagas the serpent-demons; ghoram = was terrific; raamalakShmaNau = Rama and Lakshmana; tau bhraatarau = two brothers; vimuktau = were released; sharabandhaat = from that tie of arrows; prabhaavaiH vaa = either by their power; maayayaa = or by sorcery; mohanenavaa = or by stupor; na jaane = I do not know; tat = that.
"That terrific bind of arrow cannot be released by any celestial or a mighty demon or by Yakshas the supernatural beings or Gandharvas the celestial musicians or Pannagas the serpent-demons. Rama and Lakshmana, the two brothers were released from that tie of arrows either by their power or by their sorcery or by their marvel I do not know that."
ये योधा निर्गताह् शूरा राक्षसा मम शासनात् ६-७१-८
ते सर्वे निहता युद्धे वानरैः सुमहाबलैः |
8. ye = which; shuuraaH = valiant; yodhaaH = warriors; raakShaaH = of demons; mama shaasanaat = at my command; nirgataaH = have set out; yuddhe = for battle; sarve = all of them; nihataaH = were killed; sumahaabalaiH = by highly mighty; vaanaraiH = monkeys.
"All of those valiant demon-warriors set out for battle, at my command, were killed by those exceptionally mighty monkeys."
तं न पश्याम्यहम् युद्धे यो.द्य रामं सलक्ष्मणम् ६-७१-९
नाशयेत्सबलम् वीरं ससुग्रीवविभीषणम् |
9. aham = I; na pashyaami = do not find; tam = such a person; yaH naashayet = who can destroy; viiram = the valiant Rama; sa lakShmaNam = along with Lakshmana; sasugriiva vibhiiShaNam = Sugreeva and Vibhishana; sabalam = accompanied by their army; yuddhe = in battle; adya = now.
"I do not find any demon, who can destroy the valiant Rama along with Lakshmana, Sugreeva and Vibhishana accompanied by their army in battle now."
अहो सुबलवान् रामो महदस्त्रबलम् च वै || ६-७१-१०
यस्य विक्रममासाद्य राक्षसा निधनम् गताः |
10. yasya = by which Rama's; vikramam = valour; raakShasaaH = the demons; aasaadya nidhanam gataaH = reached past destruction; raamaH = (that) Rama; aho = alas!; subalavaan = has a great strength; astra balamcha mahatvai = and indeed has an arrow of great power too.
"By Rama's valour, the demons were destroyed. Alas! How great is Rama's strength! How great is the power of his arrow!"
अप्रमत्तेश्च सर्वत्रा गुल्मै रक्ष्या पुरी त्वियम् || ६-७१-११
अशोकवनिका चैव यत्र सीताभिरक्ष्यते |
11. gulmaiH = by some regiments of army; iyam = this city; ashokaianikaachaiva = and even Ashoka garden; yatra = where; siitaa = Seetha; abhirakShyate = is being guarded; rakShyaatu = have to be protected; apramattaiH = vigilantly; sarvatra = on all sides.
"Some regiments of the army have to protect this City and even Ashoka garden where Seetha is being guarded, vigilantly on all sides."
निष्क्रमो वा प्रवेशो वा ज्ञात्व्यः सर्वदैव नः || ६-७१-१२
यत्र यत्र भवेद्गुल्मस्तत्र तत्र पुनः पुनः |
12. JNaatavyaH = It should be known; naH = to us; yatra yatra = wherever; gulmaH = a regiment of army; bhavet = is there; tatra tva = in that and that place (where); niShkramovaa = persons are going out; praveshovaa = and where persons are entering; sarvadaiva = at all times; punaH punaH = again and again.
"We should know the locations of army-regiments and also the places where persons are exiting and entering at all times, again and again.
सर्वतश्चापि तिष्ठध्वम् स्वैः स्वैः परिवृता बलैः || ६-७१-१३
द्रष्टव्यम् च पदम् तेषाम् वानराणां निशाचराः |
13. nishaacharaaH = O demons!; tiShThadhvam = stay; sarvataH = on all sides; parivR^itaaH = surrounded by; svaiH svaiH balaiH = by your respective armies; padam teShaam vaanaraaNaam = the position of those monkeys; draShTavyam cha = is to be watched.
"O demons! Stay on all sides with your respective armies. The various positioning of those monkeys are to be watched."
प्रदोषे वार्धरात्रे वा प्रत्यूषे वापि सर्वशः || ६-७१-१४
नावज्ञा तत्र कर्तव्या वानरेषु कदाचन |
द्विषतां बलमुद्युक्तमापतत्किं स्थितं तथा || ६-७१-१५
14; 15. tatra vaanareShu = in the case of monkeys; avaJNaa na kartavyaa = disrespect should not be shown; kadaachana = at any time; sarvashaH = in any way; pradoShevaa = either at evening time; ardharaatrevaa = or at midnight; pratyuuShevaa = or at dawn; (You have to watch whether); dviShataam balam = the army of adversaries; udyuktam = is ready for war; aapatat = or appearing suddenly; tathaa = and ; sthitam = remaining.
"Indifference should not be shown to monkeys in any way at any time, either at evening or at midnight or at dawn. You have watch whether the army of adversaries is fervently active or advancing or staying where it was."
ततस्ते राक्षसाह् सर्वे श्रुत्वा लङ्काधिपस्य तत् |
वचनं सर्वमातिष्ठन् यथावत्तु महाबलाः || ६-७१-१६
16. shrutvaa = hearing; tat vachanam = those words; laN^kaadhipasya = of Ravana; sarve = all; te mahaabalaaH = those mighty; raakShasaaH = demons; tataH = then; yathaavattu = precisely; aatiShThan = stood by; sarvam = all that.
Hearing those words of Ravana, all the mighty demons then precisely carried it out forthwith in its totality.
स तान् सर्वान् हि संदिश्य रावणो राक्षसाधिपः |
मन्युशल्यम् वहन् दीनः प्रविवेश स्वमालयम् || ६-७१-१७
17. samdishya = instructing; taan sarvaan = all of them; saH raavaNaH = that Ravana; raakShasaadhipaH = the king of demons; vahan manyushalyam = suffering from prickly sorrow; diinaH = and depression; pravivesha = entered; svam aalayam = his house.
Having thus instructed all of them, Ravana the king of demons, suffering from prickly sorrow and depression, penetrated deeply into his palace.
ततः स संदीपितकोपपह्नि |
र्निशाचराणामधिपो महाबलः |
तदेव पुत्रव्यसनम् विचिन्तयन् |
मुहुर्मुहुश्चैव तदा व्यनिःश्वसत् || ६-७१-१८
18. samdiipita kopa vahniH = blazed as he was with a fire of anger; mahaabalaH = the mighty; adhipaH = lord; nishaacharaaNaam = of demons; tataH = then; vichintayan = thinking; tat puravyasanam eva = of that loss of his son; tadaa = then muhuH muhuH = again and again; vyaniHshvasat = sighing.
Blazed as he was with a fire of anger, Ravana the mighty lord of demons, then remained broading about the loss of his son (Atikaya) and also sighing again and again.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे द्विपप्ततितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© May 2008, K. M. K. Murthy
Read more about:
demons and verse
Page transported by FREE Go FTP