Seeing Atikaya, the colossal demon, coming towards him on a chariot, Rama asks Vibhishana who he is Vibhishana introduces Atikaya, as being a son of Ravana and Dhanyamali (another consort of Ravana). When some commanders of monkeys try to attack Atikaya, he chops off trees and crags hurled at him. Without fighting further with the monkeys, Atikaya, moves forward to Rama and challenges him for a fight. Then Lakshmana with his bow and arrows begins to fight with Atikaya. By a sharp arrow struck by Atikaya in Lakshmana's chest, Lakshmana is enraged and releases an arrow employed with a missile of fire and Atikaya attacks it with an arrow employed with a solar missile. On the advice the wind-god appeared before him, Lakshmana finally hurls an arrow employed with a missile of Brahma and chips off the head of Atikaya.
स्वबलम् व्यथितम् दृष्ट्वा तुमुलं लोमहर्षणम् |
भ्रातॄंश्च निहतान्दृष्ट्वा शक्रतुल्यपराक्रमान् || ६-७१-१
पितृव्यौ चापि सन्दृश्य समरे संनिषूदितौ |
युद्धोन्मत्तम् च मत्तम् च भ्रातरौ राक्षसर्षभौ || ६-७१-२
चुकोप च महातेजा ब्रह्मदत्तवरो युधि |
अतिकायोऽद्रिसङ्काशो देवदानवदर्पहा || ६-७१-३
1; 2; 3. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; svabalam = his own army; tumulam = making a tumultuous sound; romaharShaNam = with excessive fear; vyathitam = seeing; dR^iShTvaa = seeing; bhraatR^iin = his brothers; shakratulya paraakramaan = having a prowess equal to that of Indra the lord of celestials; nihataan = having been killed; atikaayaH = Atikaya; mahaatejaaH = of great splendour; brahmadattavaraH = having boons bestowed by Brahma the lord of creation; adrisamkaashaH = having appearance of a mountain; devadaanavadarpahaa = and who removed the pride of celestials and ogres; yudhi = in battle; samdR^ishya = and seeing; pitR^ivyau = his paternal uncles; bhraatarau = and his brothers; raakShasa shreShTau = the foremost of demons; yudhhaumattamcha = and Yuddhaumatta; mattam cha = and Matta; samnipaatitau = having been fallen down; chukopacha = was enraged.
Seeing his own army making a tumultuous sound tottering with excessive fear, seeing his brothers having a prowess equal to that of Indra the lord of celestials having been killed, and seeing his paternal uncles as also Yuddhonmatta and Matta (Mahodara and Mahaparshva) his brothers and the foremost of demons having been fallen down, Atikaya of great splendour, having boons bestowed by Brahma the lord of creation, having appearance of a mountain and who removed the pride of celestials and ogres, was enraged.
स भास्करसहस्रस्य सङ्घातमिव भास्वरम् |
रथमास्थाय शक्रारिरभिदुद्राव वानरान् || ६-७१-४
4. saH = that Atikaya; shakraariH = the enemy of Indra the lord of celestials; aaruhya = mounting; ratham = a chariot; bhaasvaram = shining; bhaaskara sahasrasya samghaatamiva = like a cluster of thousand suns; abhidudraava = ran; vaanaraan = towards the monkeys.
That Atikaya, the enemy of Indra the lord of celestials, mounting a chariot shining like a cluster of thousand suns, ran towards the monkeys.
स विस्फार्य तदा चापम् किरीटी मृष्टकुण्डलः |
नाम संश्रावयामास ननाद च महास्वनम् || ६-७१-५
5. saH = He; kiriTii = wearing a crown; mR^iShTakuNDalaH = and well-cleansed ear-rings; visphaarya = drawing; chaapam = his bow; naama samshraavayaamaasa = making his name loudly heard; nanaada cha = roared; mahaasvanam = with a big noise.
Wearing a crown and well-cleansed ear-rings as also drawing his bow, he roared with a big noise, making his name loudly heard.
तेन सिम्हप्रणादेन नामविश्रावणेन च |
ज्याशब्देन च भीमेन त्रासयामास वानरान् || ६-७१-६
6. tena simhapraNaadena = by that lion-like roar; naama vishraavaNena = making his name loudly heard; bhiimena jyaashabdena cha = and by that terrific sound of the bow-string; traasayaamaasa = it created terror; vaanaraan = to the monkeys.
By that lion-like roar, making his name loudly heard and by that terrific sound of the bow-string, it created terror to the monkeys.
ते दृष्ट्वा देहमाहात्म्यम् कुम्भकर्णोऽयमुत्थितः |
भयार्ता वानराः सर्वे संश्रयन्ते परस्परम् || ६-७१-७
7. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; dehamaahaatmyam = the bulkiness of his body; sarve = all; te vaanaraaH = those monkeys; kumbhakarNaH utthitaH = thinking that Kumbhakarna woke up (again); samshrayante = took refuge; parasparam = with each other; bhayaartaaH = afflicted as they were; with fear.
Seeing the bulkiness of his body, all the monkeys, thinking that Kumbhakarna woke up again, took refuge with each other, afflicted as they were, with fear.
ते तस्य रूपमालोक्य यथा विष्णोस्त्रिविक्रमे |
भयाद्वानरयोधास्ते विद्रवन्ति ततस्ततः || ६-७१-८
8. aalokya = seeing; tasya ruupam = his form; viShNoH iva = looking like Vishnu; trivikrame = who strided over the three worlds in three steps; te = those; te = renowned; vaanarayodhaaH = monkey-warriors; bhayaat = with fear; vidravanti = ran away; tatstataH = hither and thither.
Seeing his form appearing like Vishnu who strided over the three worlds in three steps, the those renowned monkey-warriors with fear, ran away hither and thither.
तेऽतिकायम् समासाद्य वानरा मूढचेतसः |
शरण्यम् शरणम् जग्मुर्लक्ष्मणाग्रजमाहवे || ६-७१-९
9. atikaaya samaasaadya = (when) Atikaya was to be attacked; vaanaraaH = the monkeys; muuDhachetasaH = were bewildered in mind; sharaNam jagmuH = and sought refuge; lakSmaNaagrajam = with Rama; aahave = in battle; sharaNyam = who affords protection.
When Atikaya was to be attacked, the monkeys were bewildered in mind and sought in the battle, a refuge with Rama, who affords protection.
ततोऽतिकायम् काकुत्स्थो रथस्थं पर्वतोपमम् |
ददर्श धन्विनम् दूराद्गर्जन्तं कालमेघवत् || ६-७१-१०
10. tataH = then; kaakutthsaH = Rama; dadarsha = saw; duuraat = from a distance; parvatopamam = who resembled a mountain; rathastham = stationed in a chariot; garjantam = and rumbling; kaala meghavat = like a cloud; appearing at the time of universal dissolution.
Then, Rama saw from a distance, Atikaya, who resembled a mountain in size, stationed in a chariot, armed with a bow and rumbling like a cloud appearing at the time of universal dissolution.
स तम् दृष्ट्वा महाकायम् राघवस्तु सुविस्मितः |
वानरान्सान्त्वयित्वा च विभीषणमुवाच ह || ६-७१-११
11. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; tam = that Atikaya; mahaakaayam = having a colossal body; saH = that; raaghavastu = Rama for his part; suvismitaH = was quite surprised; saantvayitavaa cha = and consoling; vaanaraan = the monkeys; uvaacha ha = spoke; vibhiiShaNam = to Vibhishana (as follows):
Seeing that Atikaya, having a colossal body, Rama for his part was quite surprised and after consoling the monkeys, spoke to Vibhishana (as follows):
कोऽसौ पर्वतसङ्काशो धनुष्मान्हरिलोचनः |
युक्ते हयसहस्रेण विशाले स्यन्दने स्थितः || ६-७१-१२
12. kaH = who; asau = is he; parvatasamkaashaH = resembling a mountain (in size); dhanuShmaan = armed with a bow; harilochanaH = brown-eyed; sthitaH = and seated; vishaale syandane = in a spacious chariot; yukte = yoked; haya sahasreNa = with a thousand horses?
"Who is he, resembling a mountain in size, armed with a bow, brown-eyed and seated in a spacious chariot yoked with a thousand horses?"
य एष निशितैः शूलैः सुतीक्ष्णैः प्रासतोमरैः |
अर्चिष्मद्भिर्वृतो भाति भूतैरिव महेश्वरः || ६-७१-१३
13. yaH eShaH = who; archiShmadbhiH = with resplendent; nishitaiH = and sharp; shuulaiH = spikes; sutiikShNaiH = with very sharply; praasa tomaraiH = barbed javelins and lances; bhaati = and shining; maheshvaraH iva = like lord Shiva; bhuutaiH vR^itaH = surrounded by genii.
He is shining like Lord Shiva surrounded by genii, with resplendent and sharp spikes, with very sharply barbed javelins and lances.
कालजिह्वाप्रकाशाभिर्य एषोऽभिविराजते |
आवृतो रथशक्तीभिर्विद्युद्भिरिव तोयदः || ६-७१-१४
14. yaH eShaH = who; abhiviraajate = is shining; toyadaH iva = like a cloud; vidyudbhiH = with lightings; aavR^itaH = and moving round; rathashaktiibhiH = with staffs which support the banners of the war-chariot; kaala jihvaa prakaashaabhiH = with appearances of tongues of the time-spirit.
"He is shining like a lightening cloud and moving round with staffs which support the banners of the war-chariot, appearing like tongues of the Time-Sprit."
धनूंसि चास्य सज्यानि हेमपृष्ठानि सर्वशः |
शोभयन्ति रथश्रेष्ठम् शक्रपातमिवाम्बरम् || ६-७१-१५
15. dhanuumShicha = bows; sajjaani = adhered; hema pR^iShThaani = with golden backs; asya ratha shreSTham = in his excellent chariot; shobhayanti = are shining; sarvashaH = on all sides; shakra chaapam iva = like a rainbow; ambaram = in the sky.
"Bows adhered with golden backs in his excellent chariot are shining on all sides like a rainbow in the sky."
य एष रक्षः शार्दूलो रणभूमिम् विराजयन् |
अभ्येति रथिनाम् श्रेष्ठो रथेनादित्यतेजसा || ६-७१-१६
ध्वजशृङ्गप्रतिष्ठेन राहुणाभिविराजते |
सूर्यरश्मिप्रभैर्बाणैर्दिशो दश विराजयन् || ६-७१-१७
16; 17. yaH = which; rakShashshaarduulaH = excellent of demons; shreShThaH = the eminent; rathinaam = of charioteers; viraajayan raNa bhuumin = making the battle-field to shine; abhyeti = coming; rathena = in a chariot; aaditye varchasaa = with splendour of the sun; baaNaiH = and with arrows; suurya rashmi prabhaiH = having gleams of sunbeams; viraajayan = shining; dashadishaH = in ten directions; abhiviraajate = embellishing a brilliance; raahuNaa = by an emblem of Rahu; dhvajashR^iNga pratiShThena = installed on the point of his standard.
"That warrior of demons, the eminent of charioteers, making the battle-front to shine, is coming in a chariot with the splendour of the sun, with arrows having gleams of sun-beams, shining in ten directions and embellishing brilliance by an emblem of Rahu installed on the point of his standard."
त्रिणतं मेघनिर्ह्रादम् हेमपृष्ठमलङ्कृतम् |
शतक्रतुधनुःप्रख्यम् धनुश्चास्य विराजते || ६-७१-१८
18. asya = his; dhanuH = bow; trinatam = triply curved; hema pR^iShTham = golden backed; alamkR^itam = and decorated; megha samnaadam = having a rumbling sound of the cloud; viraajate = is shining; shatakratudhanuH prakhyam = like a rainbow.
"His triply curved, golden backed and decorated bow, having a rumbling sound of the cloud, is shining like a rain-bow."
सध्वजः सपताकश्च सानुकर्षो महारथः |
चतुःसादिसमायुक्तो मेघस्तनितनिस्वनः || ६-७१-१९
19. mahaarathaH = his large chariot; sadhvajaH = with its flag; sapataakashcha = and emblem; saanukarShaH = with its axle-tree at the bottom; meghastamita niH svanaH = having the sound of a cloud's lightning; chatussaadisamaayuktaH = consists of four charioteers.
"His large chariot, with its flag and emblem, with its axle-tree at the bottom, and having the sound of a cloud's lightning, consists of four charioteers."
विंशतिर्दश चाष्टौ च तूणीररथमास्थिताः |
कार्मुकाणि च भीमानि ज्याश्च काञ्चनपिङ्गलाः || ६-७१-२०
20. vimshati = twenty; tuuNyaH = quivers; dashacha = ten; bhiimaani = terrific; kaarmukaaNi cha = bows; aShTou cha = and eight; jyaashcha = bow-strings; kaaN^chana piN^gaLaaH = golden and reddish brown in colour; aasthitaaH = are abiding; asya ratham = in his chariot.
Twenty quivers, ten terrific bows and eight bow-strings, golden and reddish brown in colour, are abiding in his chariot."
द्वौ च खड्गौ रथगतौ पार्श्वस्थौ पार्श्वशोभिनौ |
चतुर्हस्तत्सरुचितौ व्यक्तहस्तदशायतौ || ६-७१-२१
21. rathagatau = on that chariot are hanging; dvau = two; khaDgau cha = swords; vyakta hastadashaayatau = clearly measuring ten cubits in length; chaturhastatsaruchitou = shone upon by hilts measuring four cubits; pradiiptau = are casting their splendour; paarshvashobhitau = on his two sides.
"On that chariot are hanging two swords, clearly measuring ten cubits in length and provided with measuring four cubits, casting their splendour on his two sides."
रक्तकण्ठगुणो धीरो महापर्वतसंनिभः |
कालः कालमहावक्त्रो मेघस्थ इव भास्करः || ६-७१-२२
22. dhiiraH = this brave warrior; rakta kaNTha guNaH = with a red garland adorning his neck; mahaaparvata sannibhaH = resembling a large mountain; kaalaH = black in colour; kaala mahaavaktraH = having a mouth as large as Death; bhaaskaraH iva = looks like the sun; meghasthaH = veiled by a cloud.
"This brave warrior, with a red garland adorning his neck, resembling a large mountain black in colour and having a month as large as Death, looks like the sun veiled by a cloud."
काञ्चनाङ्गदनद्धाभ्यां भुजाभ्यामेष शोभते |
शृङ्गाभ्यामिव तुङ्गाभ्याम् हिमवान्पर्वतोत्तमः || ६-७१-२३
23. bhujjaabhyaam = with his arms; kaaN^chanaaN^gada naddhaabhyaam = adorned with gold armlets; eShaH = he; shobhate = shines; himavaan iva = like the Himalaya parvatottamaH = the highest mountain; tuN^gaabhyaam shR^iN^gaabhyaam = with its two lofty peaks.
"With his arms adorned with gold armlets, he shines like the Himalaya, the highest mountain with its two lofty peaks."
कुण्डलाभ्याम् तु यस्यैतद्भाति वक्त्रम् शुभेक्षणम् |
पुनर्वस्वन्तरगतं पूर्णबिम्बमिवैन्दवम् || ६-७१-२४
24. subhiiShaNam = his awfully dreadful; vaktram = face; ubhaabhyaam = wit two; kuN^Dalaabhyaam = ear-rings; bhaati = is shining; paripuurNaH nishaakaraH = like a full moon; punarvasvantaragataH = appearing between the two stars constituting the constellation; Punarvasu.
"His awfully dreadful face, with two ear-rings, is shining like a full moon appearing between the two stars constituting the constellation, Punnarvasu."
आचक्ष्व मे महाबाहो त्वमेनम् राक्षसोत्तमम् |
यम् दृष्ट्वा वानराः सर्वे भयार्ता विद्रूता दिशः || ६-७१-२५
25. mahaabaaho = O the long armed!; dR^iShTvaa = by seeing; yam = whom; sarve = all; vaanaraaH = the monkeys; bhayaartaaH = afflicted with fear; vidrutaaH = ran away; dishaH = in different direction; tvam = you; aachakShva = tell; me = me; enam raakShasottamam = about this foremost of demons.
"O the long armed! Tell me who this foremost of demons is! On seeing him all the monkeys, afflicted with fear, are running away in different directions."
स पृष्ठो राजपुत्रेण रामेणामिततेजसा |
आचचक्षे महातेजा राघवाय विभीषणः || ६-७१-२६
26. pR^iShTaH = questioned (thus); raameNa = by Rama; raja putreNa = the prince; amita tejasaa = having an unlimited splendour; saH = that; vibhiiShaNaH = Vibhishana; maahaatejaaH = of great splendour; aachakShe = replied; raaghavaaya = to Rama (as follows):
Thus asked by Rama, the prince having an unlimited splendour, that Vibhishana of great brilliance, replied to Rama as follows:
दशग्रीवो महातेजा राजा वैश्रवणानुजः |
भीमकर्मा महोत्साहो रावणो राक्षसाधिपः || ६-७१-२७
27. raajaa = the king; raavaNaH = Ravana; dashagriivaH = the ten-necked; mahaatejaaH = having great brilliance; vaishraavaNaanujaH = the brother of Kumbera the lord of wealth; bhiima karma = doing terrific deeds; mahotsaahaaH = having great power; raakShaseshvaraH = is the lord of demons.
"The ten-necked king Ravana, having great brilliance, the brother of Kubera the lord of wealth, doing terrific deeds and possessing a great power, is the lord of demons."
तस्यासीद्वीर्यवान्पुत्रो रावणप्रतिमो रणे |
वृद्धसेवी श्रुतधरः सर्वास्त्रविदुषाम् वरः || ६-७१-२८
28. tasya = to him; aasiit = there is; putraH = a son; viiryavaan = who is valiant; raavaNapratimaH = equal to Ravana; raNe = in combat; vR^iddha sevii = who serves elders; varaH = excellent; shrutidharaH = among those holding that which is heard; sarvaastra viduShaam = and who is skilled in the use of weaponry.
"To him, there is a valiant son, equal to Ravana in combat, who serves elders, holding that which is heard from them and skilled in the use of weaponry."
अश्वपृष्ठे रथे नागे खड्गे धनुषि कर्षणे |
भेदे सान्त्वे च दाने च नये मन्त्रे च संमतः || ६-७१-२९
29. sammataH = (He) is respected; mantre cha = for his counsel; ashvapR^iShThe = for his rides on a horse-back; naaga pR^iShThe = and an elephant-back; khaDge dhanuShi karShaNe = for his drawing out of sword and bow; bhede saantvecha daanecha = for his strategy of winning over to his side by sowing dissention; negotiation naye = and for his steering capacity of an army.
"He is respected for his counsel, for his rides on the backs of horses and elephants, for his drawing out of the sword and the bow, for his strategy winning over to his side by sowing dissention negotiation and bribery and for his steering capacity of an army.
यस्य बाहुम् समाश्रित्य लङ्का भवति निर्भया |
तनयम् धान्यमालिन्या अतिकायमिमम् विदुः || ६-७१-३०
30. samaashritya = resting; yasya baahum = on whose arm; laN^kaa = Lanka; bhavati nirbhayaa = is feeling fearless; viduH = (they) know; imam = him; atikaayam = as Atikaya; tanayam = the son; dhaanyamaalinyaaH = of Dhanyamali.
"He is Atikaya, the son of Dhanyamali. Lanka is feeling fearless, by resting on his arm."
एतेनाराधितो ब्रह्मा तपसा भावितात्मना |
अस्त्राणि चाप्यवाप्तानि रिपवश्च पराजिताः || ६-७१-३१
31. etena = by him; bhaavitaatmanaa = who purified his soul by meditating on the universal soul; aaraadhitaH = was worshipped; brahmaa = Brahma the lord of creation; astraaNicha = and the missiles too; avaaptaani = obtained; ripavashcha = and enemies; paraajitaaH = conquered.
"He, who purified his soul by meditating on the universal soul, worshipped Brahma the lord of creation, obtained missiles too and conquered the enemies.
सुरासुरैरवध्यत्वम् दत्तमस्मै स्वयम्भुवा |
एतच्च कवचम् दिव्यम् रथश्चैषोऽर्कभास्करः || ६-७१-३२
32. svayambhuvaa = by Brahma; asmai dattam = to him was given (a boon); avadhyatvam = of not being killed; suraasuraiH = by celestials and demons; (and also); etat = this; divyam = wonderful; kavacham cha = armour; rathashcha = and the chariot; ravibhaasvaraH = shining like the sun.
"Brahma, the lord of creation, granted a boon, exempting him from death at the hands of celestials and demons as also this wonderful armour and the chariot shining like the sun."
एतेन शतशो देवा दानवाश्च पराजिताः |
रक्षितानि च रक्षामि यक्षाश्चापि निषूदिताः || ६-७१-३३
33. etena = by him; devaaH = celestials; daanavaashcha = and ogres; paraajitaaH = were conquered; shatashaH = hundreds of times; yakShaashcha api = even Yakshas the super natural beings; niShuuditaaH = were destroyed; rakShaamsi = the demons; rakShitaani = were defended.
"He conquered the celestials and the ogres several times, destroyed Yakshas the supernatural beings and defended the demons."
वज्रम् विष्टम्भितं येन बाणैरिन्द्रस्य धीमतः |
पाशः सलिलराजस्य युद्धे प्रतिहतस्तथा || ६-७१-३४
एषोऽतिकायो बलवान् राक्षसानामथर्षभः |
स रावणस्य सुतो धीमान् देवदनव दर्पहा || ६-७१-३५
34; 35. yena = by whom; baaNaiH = with his arrows; yuddhe = in battle; vajram = the thunderbolt; dhiimataH indrashcha = of the intelligent Indra; viShTambhitam = was paralyzed; tathaa = and; paashaH = the noose; salilaraajasya = of Varuna; the lord of waters; pratihataH = was struck down; eShaH = he as such; atikaayaH = is Atikaya; balavaan = a strong demon; atha = and; R^iShabhaH = the foremost; raakShasaanaam = among demons; saH = He; dhiimaan = the wise demon; raavaNa sutaH = is the son of Ravana; devadaanava darpahaa = who took off the pride from celestials and ogres.
"He is Atikaya, who paralyzed the thunderbolt of the intelligent Indra with his arrows. He struck down the noose of Varuna, the seizer of transgressors. This wise Ravana's son, who is strong and the foremost of demons took off the pride of celestials and ogres."
तदस्मिन् क्रियताम् यत्नः क्षिप्रं पुरुषपुङ्गव |
पुरा वानरसैन्यानि क्षयं नयति सायकैः || ६-७१-३६
36. puruShapuN^gava = O Rama; the foremost of men!; tat = therefore; yatnaH = let the effort; kriyataam = be made; kShipram = quickly; asmin = in his case; puraanayati = (otherwise) he will shortly bring in.
"O Rama, the foremost of men! Therefore let the effort to destroy him be made quickly. Otherwise shortly, he will bring in destruction for our army of monkeys, with his arrows."
ततोऽतिकायो बलवान्प्रविश्य हरिवाहिनीम् |
विस्फारयामास धनुर्ननाद च पुनः पुनः || ६-७१-३७
37. pravishya = entering; harivaahiniim = the army of monkeys; balavaan = the strong; atikaayaH = Atikaya; tataH = then; visphaaryaamaasa = stretched; dhanuH = his bow; nanaada cha = and roared; punaH punaH = again and again.
Entering the army of monkeys, the strong Atikaya then stretched his bow and roared again and again.
तं भीमवपुषम् दृष्ट्वा रथस्थम् रथिनां वरम् |
अभिपेतुर्महात्मानो ये प्रधानाः ये वनौकसः || ६-७१-३८
38. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; tam = him; bhiimavapuSham = with a terrific body; rathastham = seated in the chariot; varam = and excellent; rathinaam = among the charioteers; vanaukasaH = were chiefs; mahaatmanaH = and powerful; abhipetuH = rushed towards him.
Seeing him with a terrific body, seated in the chariot, as the excellent one among the charioteers, powerful chiefs of monkeys rushed towards him.
कुमुदो द्विविदो मैन्दो नीलः शरभ एव च |
पादपैर्गिरिशृङ्गैश् च युगपत्समभिद्रवन् || ६-७१-३९
39. paadapaiH = with trees; girishR^iN^gaiH = and with mountain-peaks; kumudaH = Kumuda; dvividaH = Dvivida; maindaH = Mainda; niilaH = Nila; sharbhaH eva cha = and Sharabha; samabhidravan = ran (to attack him); yugavata = at once.
Taking trees and mountain peaks, Kumuda, Dvivida, Mainda, Nila and Sharabha marched forwards quickly to attack him at once.
तेषाम् वृक्षांश्च शैलांश्च शरैः काञ्चनभूषणैः |
अतिकायो महातेजाश्चिच्छेदास्त्रविदाम् वरः || ६-७१-४०
40. atikaayaH = Atikaya; mahaatejaaH = of great splendour; astavidaam varaH = the foremost among those skilled in weaponry; chichchheda = chopped off; teShaam = their; vR^ikShaam = trees; shailaam cha = and crags; sharaiH = with his arrows; kanaka bhuuShaNaiH = decked with gold.
Atikaya of great splendour, the foremost among those skilled in weaponry, chopped off their trees and crags with his arrows decked with gold.
तांश्चैव सरान्स हरीञ्शरैः सर्वायसैर्बली |
विव्याधाभिमुखः सङ्ख्ये भीमकायो निशाचरः || ६-७१-४१
41. saH = he; balii = the strong; vishaaradaH = the skilled; bhiimakaayaH = with a terrific body; vivyaadha = struck; sarvaan = all; taan = those; hariin = monkeys; abhimukhaan = facing in front of him; samkhye = in battle; sharaiH = with arrows; sarvaayasaiH = fully made of iron.
That strong and skilled Atikaya with a terrific body, struck all those monkeys, facing in front of him in battle with arrows fully made of iron.
तेऽर्दिता बाणबर्षेण भिन्नगात्राः प्लवङ्गमाः |
न शेकुरतिकायस्य प्रतिकर्तुं महारणे || ६-७१-४२
42. te paraajitaaH = those overthrown monkeys; arditaaH = injured; baaNa varSeNa = by the shower of arrows; atikaayasya = of Atikaya; bhinnagaatraaH = with their blown out bodies; mahaahave = in that great battle; na shekuH = were unable; pratikartum = to retaliate (on him).
Those overthrown monkeys, injured with their blown out bodies, by the shower of Atikaya's arrows in that great battle, were unable to retaliate on him.
तत्सैन्यम् हरिवीराणाम् त्रासयामास राक्षसः |
मृगयूथमिव क्रुद्धो हरिर्यौवनमास्थितः || ६-७१-४३
43. raakShasaH = that demon; yauvanadarpitaH = who was arrogant of his youth; traasayaamaasa = frightened; tat = that; sainyam = army; hariviiraaNaam = of monkey-warriors; kruddhaH hariH = as an enraged lion (frightens) mR^igayuuthamiva = a herd of deers.
That demon, who was arrogant of his youth, frightened that army of monkey-warriors, as an enraged lion frightens a herd of deers.
स राषसेन्द्रो हरिसैन्यमध्ये |
नायुध्यमानं निजघान कम् चित् |
उपेत्य रामम् सधनुः कलापी |
सगर्वितम् वाक्यमिदं बभाषे || ६-७१-४४
44. saH = that; raakShasendraH = chief of demons; na nijaghaana = did not strike; kamchit = whomsoever; hariyuuthamadhye = of the monkey-warriors; ayudhyamaanam = who could not fight; saH = that Atikaya; sadhanuH kalaapii = with his bow and quiver of arrows; utpatya = going up quickly; raamam = towards Rama; babhaaShe = spoke; idam = these; garvitam vaakyam = haughty (to him) words.
That chief of demons did not strike whomsoever of the monkey-warriors who were unable to fight. That Atikaya, with his bow and quiver of arrows, going up quickly towards Rama, spoke haughty words (to him) as follows:
रथे स्थितोऽहम् शरचापपाणि |
न प्राकृतम् कं चन योधयामि |
यस्यास्ति शक्तिर्व्यवसाय युक्ता |
ददातुं मे क्षिप्रमिहाद्य युद्धम् || ६-७१-४५
45. aham = I; sthitaH = am seated; rathe = in the chariot; shara chaapapaaNiH = with arrows and bow in my hand; na yodhayaami = I would not give battle; kamchana praakR^itam = with any common warrior; yasya asti = he who has; shaktiH = ability; vyavasaaya yuktaH = and energy; dadaatu = can give; yuddham = a fight; adya = now; iha = here; me = to me; shiighram = quickly.
"I am seated in the chariot with arrows and a bow in my hand. I would not give battle with any common warrior. He who has ability and energy can give his fight to me now and here quickly."
तत्तस्य वाक्यं ब्रुवतो निशम्य |
चुकोप सौमित्रिरमित्रहन्ता |
अमृष्यमाणश्च समुत्पपात |
जग्राह चापम् च ततः स्मयित्वा || ६-७१-४६
46. nishamya = hearing; tasya tat vaakyam = those of his words thus spoken; saumitriH = Lakshmana; amitrahantaa = the annihilator of enemies; chukopa = was enraged; tataH = then; smayitvaa = smiling; amR^iShyamaaNaH = and unable to bear his words; samutpapaata = rose up quickly; jagraaha = and took up; chaapam = his bow.
Hearing his words, Lakshmana the annihilator of enemies was enraged. Then, unable to bear his words and smiling, he rose up quickly and took up his bow.
क्रुद्धः सौमित्रिरुत्पत्य तूणादाक्षिप्य सायकम् |
पुरस्तादतिकायस्य विचकर्ष महद्धनुः || ६-७१-४७
47. kruddhaH = the enraged; saumitriH = Lakshmana; utpatya = coming forward quickly; aakShipya = and taking off; saayakam = an arrow; tuuNaat = from the quiver; an arrow; chakarSha = pulled out; mahat = his great; dhanuH = bow; parastaat = in front; atikaayasya = of Atikaya.
The enraged Lakshmana, coming forward quickly and taking off an arrow from his quiver pulled out his great bow in front of Atikaya.
पूरयन्स महीम् शैलानाकाशं सागरम् दिशः |
ज्याशब्दो लक्ष्मणस्योग्रस्त्रासयन्रजनीचरान् || ६-७१-४८
48. saH = that; jyaashabdaH = twang of the bow; lakShmaNasya = of Lakshmna; puurayan = filling; sarvaam = the entire; mahiim = earth; aakaasham = sky; saagaram = ocean; dishaH = and quarters; ugraH = was angry; traasayan = frightening; rajanii charaan = the demons.
That twang of the bow of Lakshmana, filling the entire quarters, earth, sky and the ocean, was angry, frightening the demons.
सौमित्रेश्चापनिर्घोषम् श्रुत्वा प्रतिभयम् तदा |
विसिष्मिये महातेजा राक्षसेन्द्रात्मजो बली || ६-७१-४९
49. shrutvaa = hearing; saumitreH chaapanirghoSham = the twang of Lakshmana's bow; pratibhayam = which was terrible; balii = the strong; raakShasendraatmajaH = Atikaya; mahaatejaH = of great splendour; tadaa = then; visiShmiye = was surprised.
Hearing the terrific twang of Lakshmana's bow, the strong Atikaya of great splendour, was surprised.
तदातिकायः कुपितो दृष्ट्वा लक्ष्मणमुत्थितम् |
आदाय निशितं बाणमिदम् वचनमब्रवीत् || ६-७१-५०
50. dR^iShvaa = seeing; lakShmaNam = Lakshmana; utthitam = coming forth (for battle); atikaayaH = Atikaya; tadaa = then; kupitaH = was enraged; aadaaya = and taking; nishitam baaNam = a sharp arrow; abraviit = spoke; idam vachanam = the following words.
Seeing Lakshmana standing in front of him for the battle, Atikaya then was enraged and taking a sharp arrow, spoke the following words:
बालस्त्वमसि सौमित्रे विक्रमेष्वविचक्षणः |
गच्छ किम् कालसदृशं माम् योधयितुमिच्छसि || ६-७१-५१
51. saumitre = O Lakshmana; tvam asi = you are; avichakShaNaH = ignorant; vikrameShu = of a fight; baalaH = you are a minor; gachchha = go away; kim = why; ichchhasi = do you wish; yodhayitum = to fight; maam = with me; kaala samkaasham = who is like Yama the Lord of Death.
"O Lakshmana! You are still a boy. You are ignorant of a fight. Why do you wish to fight with me, who is like Yama the Lord of Death? Go away."
न हि मद्बाहुसृष्टानामस्त्राणाम् हिमवानपि |
सोढुमुत्सहते वेगमन्तरिक्षमथो मही || ६-७१-५२
52. vegam = to the speed; baaNaanaam = of arrows; madbaahusR^iShTaanaam = discharged by my arms; himavaanapi = even the Himalaya mountains; na utsahate hi = would not be able; soDhum = to endure; antarikSham atho mahii = nor the sky nor the earth.
"Even the Himalayan Mountains or the sky or the earth would be unable to endure the speed of arrows released by my arms."
सुखप्रसुप्तम् कालाग्निं प्रबोधयितुमिच्छसि |
न्यस्य चापं निवर्तस्व मा प्राणाञ्जहि मद्गतः || ६-७१-५३
53. ichhasi = you wish; vibodhayitum = to arouse; kaalaagnim = a fire that is to destroy the world; sukhaprasuptam = which is sleeping happily; nivartasya = go back; nyasya = keeping; chaapam = your bow; maajahi = do not kill; praaNaan = your lives; madgataH = having approached me with hostile intentions.
"You wish to arouse a fire of dissolution, when it is sleeping happily. Placing your bow here, go back. Do not lose your life, by fighting against me."
अथ वा त्वं प्रतिष्टब्धो न निवर्तितुमिच्छसि |
तिष्ठ प्राणान्परित्यज्य गमिष्यसि यमक्षयम् || ६-७१-५४
54. tvam na ichhasi = If you do not wish; nivartitum = to go back; athavaa = rather; pratistabdhaH = with obstinance; tiShTha = stay back; parityajya = abandoning; praaNaan = your lives; gamiShyasi = you will go; yamakShayam = to the abode of Yama.
"If you do not go back, with an obstinance, then you rather stay back. Abandoning your lives, you will reach the abode of Yama."
पश्य मे निशितान् बाणान रिदर्पनिषूदनान् |
ईश्वरायुधसङ्काशांस्तप्तकाञ्चनभूषणान् || ६-७१-५५
55. pashya = see; nishitaan baaNaan = my sharp arrows; tapta kaaNchana bhuuShaNaan = decked with pure gold; me ripudarpa niShuudanaan = which can remove the pride of my enemies; iishvaraayudha samkaashaan = which are like the weapons of Ishvara the lord destruction.
"See my sharp arrows decked with pure gold, which can remove the pride of my enemies and which are like the weapons of Ishvara the lord of destruction."
एष ते सर्पसङ्काशो बाणः पास्यति शोणितम् |
मृगराज इव क्रुद्धो नागराजस्य शोणितम् || ६-७१-५६
56. eShaH baaNaH = this arrow; sarpasamkaashaH = looking like a serpent; pasyati = will drink; te shoNitam = your blood; mR^igaraajaajaH iva = like a lion; naagaraajasya shoNitam = (drinking) the blood of an elephant; ityevam uktvaa = thus speaking; samkruddhaH = Atikaya was enraged; samdadhe = and fixed; sharam = an arrow; dhanuShi = on his bow.
"This arrow looking like a serpent will drink your blood as a lion drinks the blood of an elephant. "Thus speaking, Atikaya was enraged and fixed an arrow on his bow.
श्रुत्वातिकायस्य वचः सरोषं |
सगर्वितम् सम्यति राजपुत्रः |
स सञ्चुकोपातिबलो मस्वी |
उवाच वाक्यम् च ततो महार्थम् || ६-७१-५७
57. shrutvaa = hearing; vachaH = the words; atikaayasya = of Atikaya; saroSham = filled with anger; sagarvitam = and arrogance; samyati = in battle; raajaputraH = Lakshmana; samchukopa = was enraged; tataH = thereafter; saH = that Lakshmana; atibalaH = with great strength; manasvii = wisdom; bR^ihachchhriiH = and great glory; uvaacha cha = spoke also; vaakyam = (the following) words:
Hearing the words of Atikaya, filled with anger and arrogance in that battle-field, Lakshmana was enraged. Thereafter, that Lakshmana, having a great strength wisdom and great glory, also spoke as follows:
न वाक्यमात्रेण भवान्प्रधानो |
न कत्थनात्सत्पुरुषा भवन्ति |
मयि स्थिते धन्विनि बाणपाणौ |
विदर्शयस्वात्मबलम् दुरात्मन् || ६-७१-५८
58. duraatman = O the evil minded one!; vaakyamaatrena = just by mere words; bhavaan = you; na = cannot be; pradhaanaH = a very important person; katthanaat = by of boasting themselves; na bhavanti = people cannot become; satpuruShaaH = good persons; nidarshayatva = you show; aatmabalam = your strength; mayi = in me; sthite = who is standing; baaNa paaNau = with an arrow in hand; dhanvini = and wielding a bow.
"O the evil-minded! Just by uttering mere words, you cannot by a very important person. People cannot become good persons, just by boasting of themselves. You rather show your strength in me, who is standing with an arrow in hand and wielding a bow."
कर्मणा सूचयात्मानं न विकत्थितुमर्हसि |
पौरुषेण तु यो युक्तः स तु शूर इति स्मृतः || ६-७१-५९
59. suuchaya = reveal; aatmaanam = yourself; karmaNaa = by your deeds; na arhasi = you do not deserve; vikatthitum = to boast of yourself; yaH = whoever; yuktaH pauruSheNa = is with a valour; saH = he alone; smR^itaH = is declared; shuuraH iti = as a warrior.
"Reveal yourself by your deeds. You do not deserve to boast of yourself. A person with valour alone is declared as a warrior."
सर्वायुधसमायुक्तो धन्वी त्वम् रथमास्थितः |
शरैर्वा यदि वाप्यस्त्रैर्दर्शयस्व पराक्रमम् || ६-७१-६०
60. tvam = you; aasthitaH = are seated; ratham = in a chariot; sarvaayudha samaayuktaH = with all the weapons; dhanvii = and wielding a bow; darshayasva = show; paraakramam = your prowess; sharaiH vaa = either by your arrows; yadi vaapi = or even; astraiH = by your weapons.
"You are seated in a chariot, with all the weaponry and wielding a bow. Show your prowess either by your arrows or even by your weapons."
ततः शिरस्ते निशितैः पातयिष्याम्यहम् शरैः |
मारुतः कालसम्पक्वम् वृन्तात्तालफलं यथा || ६-७१-६१
61. tataH = thereupon; nishitaiH sharaiH = with sharp arrows; aham = I; paatayiShyaami = shall strike down; te shiraH = your head; nishitaiH sharaiH = by my sharp arrows; taalaphalam yathaa = as a fruit of a fan-palm; kaala sampakvam = ripened by time; (is fallen down); maarutaH = by wind; vR^intaat = from its stalk.
"Thereupon, with sharp arrows, I shall strike down your head like a fruit of a fan-palm, ripened by its time, is fallen down from its stalk by the gust of a wind."
अद्य ते मामका बाणास्तप्तकाञ्चनभूषणाः |
पास्यन्ति रुधिरम् गात्राद्बाणशल्यान्तरोत्थितम् || ६-७१-६२
62. maamakaaH baaNaaH = (these) arrows of mine; taptakaaNchana bhuuShaNaaH = decked with pure gold; paasyanti = will drink; rudhiram = blood; baaNashalyaantarothitam te gaatraat = coming forth from the holes formed in your body by the sharp points of my arrows.
"Today, these arrows of mine decked with pure gold, will drink blood oozing forth from the holes formed in your body by the sharp points of my arrows."
बालोऽयमिति विज्ञाय न मावज्ञातुमर्हसि |
बालो वा यदि वा वृद्धो मृत्युम् जानीहि सम्युगे || ६-७१-६३
बालेन विष्णुना लोकास्त्रयः क्रान्तास्त्रिविक्रमैः |
63. viN^aaya = thinking; iti = that; ayam = he; baalaH = is a boy; na cha arhasi = you ought not; avaJNaatum = to disregard (me); baalovaa = either as a boy; vR^iddhovaa = or as an old man; jaanihi = you indeed perceive (me); samyuge = in the battle front; mR^ityum = as the god of Death; baalena viShNuunaa = by Vishnu as a boy; trayaH = the three; lokaaH = worlds; kraantaaH = were occupied; trivikramaiH = by his three strides.
"Thinking me to be a boy, you need not disregard me. Either as the boy or as the aged, you indeed know me in battle-front as the god of Death. Vishnu, as a boy occupied the three worlds just with his three strides, Didn't he?"
लक्ष्मणस्य वचः श्रुत्वा हेतुमत्परमार्थवत् || ६-७१-६४
अतिकायः प्रचुक्रोध बाणम् चोत्तममाददे |
64. shrutvaa = hearing; hetuvat = the reasonable; paramaarthavat = and highly meaningful; vachaH = words; lakShmaNasya = of Lakshmana; atikaayaH = Atikaya; prachukrodhaH = was very much enraged; aadadecha = and took out; uttamam = an excellent; baaNam = arrow.
Hearing the reasonable and highly meaningful words of Lakshmana, Atikaya was very much enraged and took out an excellent arrow.
ततो विद्याधरा भूता देवा दैत्या महर्षयः || ६-७१-६५
गुह्यकाश्च महात्मानस्तद्युद्धम् ददृशुस्तदा |
65. tataH = then; vidyaadharaaH = Vidyadharas the supernatural beings bhuutaaH = Bhutas the spirits; devaaH = the celestials; daityaaH = the demons; maharShayaH = the great sages; guhyakaaH = Guhyakas a class of demi = gods; mahaatmanaH = the great souled; dadR^ishuH = saw; tat = that; yuddham = battle.
Then, Vidyadharas the supernatural beings, Bhutas the spirits, Devas the celestials, Daityas the demons, Maharshies the great sages and Guhyakas a class of demi-gods, all the great souled ones saw that battle.
ततोऽतिकायः कुपितश्चापमारोप्य सायकम् || ६-७१-६६
लक्ष्मणस्य प्रचिक्षेप सङ्क्षिपन्निव चाम्बरम् |
66. tataH = thereafter; kupitaH = the enraged; atikaayaH = Atikaya; aaropya = stringing; saayakam = an arrow; chaapam = to his bow; prachikShepa = dispatched (the arrow); lakShmaNaaya = towards Lakshmana; ambaram samkShipan iva = as though he were shrinking up the space in between.
Thereafter, the enraged Atikaya, stringing an arrow to his bow, dispatched it towards Lakshmana, as though he were shrinking up the space in between.
तमापतन्तं निशितम् शरमाशीविषोपमम् || ६-७१-६७
अर्धचन्द्रेण चिच्छेद लक्ष्मणः परवीरहा |
67. lakShmaNaH = Lakshmana; paraviirahaa = the annihilator of enemy-warriors; chichheda = chopped off; tam = that; ashiivishopamam = serpent-like; nishitam = sharp; sharam = arrow; aapatantam = which was falling down on him; ardhachandraNa = with his crescent pointed arrow.
Lakshmana, the annihilator of enemy-warriors, chopped off that serpent-like sharp arrow, which was falling down on him, with his crescent-pointed arrow.
तं निकृत्तम् शरम् दृष्ट्वा कृत्तभोगमिवोरगम् || ६-७१-६८
अतिकायो भृशम् क्रुद्धः पञ्चबाणान्समाददे |
68. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; tam sharam = that arrow; nikR^ittam = which was chopped off; kR^itta bhogam uragam iva = as a snake's hood severed into pieces; atikaayaH = Atikaya; bhR^isham = was very much; kR^iddhaH = enraged; samaadadhe = and fitted; paN^cha = five; baaNaan = arrows (to his bow).
Seeing that arrow which was chopped off as a snake's hood severed into pieces, Atikaya was very much enraged and fitted five arrows to his bow.
ताञ्शरान्सम्प्रचिक्षेप लक्ष्मणाय निशाचरः || ६-७१-६९
तानप्राप्ताञ्शरैस्तीक्ष्णैश्चिच्छेद भरतानुजः |
69. nishaacharaH = that demon; samprachikShepa = hurled; taan sharaan = those arrows; lakShmaNaaya = towards Lakshmana; apraaptaan = even before they reached him; bharataanujaH = Lakshmana; taan chichheda = chopped them off; shitaiH baaNaiH = with his sharp arrows.
That demon hurled those arrows towards Lakshmana. Even before they reached him, Lakshmana chopped them off with his sharp arrows.
स तांश्छित्त्वा शरैस्तीक्ष्णैर्लक्ष्मणः परवीरहा || ६-७१-७०
आददे निशितं बाणम् ज्वलन्तमिव तेजसा |
70. chhitvaa = cutting off; taan = those arrows; shitaiH baaNaiH = with his sharp arrows; saH lakShmaNaH = that Lakshmana; paraviirahaa = the annihilator of enemy-warriors; aadade = took up; nishitam baaNam = a sharp arrow; jvalantamiva tejasaa = as though it was blazing with a glow.
Cutting off those arrows with his sharp arrows that Lakshmana, the destroyer of enemy-warriors, took up a sharp arrow, as though it was blazing with a glow.
तमादाय धनुः श्रेष्ठे योजयामास लक्ष्मणः || ६-७१-७१
विचकर्ष च वेगेन विससर्ज च सायकम् |
71. aadaaya = taking; tam saayakam = that arrow; lakShmaNaH = Lakshmana; yojayaamaasa = harnessed it; dhanuH shreShThe = on his excellent bow; vichakarShacha = stretched it; vegena = with force; visasarja = and discharged it.
Taking that arrow, Lakshmana harnessed it on his excellent bow, stretched it with force and released it.
पूर्णायतविसृष्टेन शरेणानत पर्वणा || ६-७१-७२
ललाटे राक्षसश्रेष्ठमाजघान स वीर्यवान् |
72. saH viiryavaan = that valiant Lakshmana; nataparvaNaa shareNa = by a flat-jointed arrow; puurNaayatavisR^iShTena = stretched and released fully; aajaghaana = struck it; lalaaTe = on the forehead; raakShasashreShTham = of that foremost of demons.
That valiant Lakshmana, by a flat-jointed arrow released fully, struck it on the forehead of that excellent demon.
स ललाटे शरो मग्नस्तस्य भीमस्य रक्षसः || ६-७१-७३
ददृशे शोणितेनाक्तः पन्नगेन्द्र इवाहवे |
73. saH sharaH = that arrow; magnaH = sunken; lalaaTe = into the forehead; tasya = of that; bhiimasya = terrible; rakShasaH = demon; aktaH = coated; shoNitena = with blood; dadR^ishe = appeared; pannagendraH iva = like a serpent-king; achare = on a mountain.
That arrow, sunken into the forehead of that terrible demon, smeared with blood, appeared like a serpent-king on a mountain.
राक्षसः प्रचकम्पे च लक्ष्मणेषु प्रकम्पितः || ६-७१-७४
रुद्रबाणहतं भीमम् यथा त्रिपुरगोपुरम् |
74. raakShasaH = the demon; lakShmaNeShu prapiiDitaH = tormented by Lakshmana's arrow; atha = then; prachakampa = trembled violently; ghoram tripuragopuram yathaa = like the terrific town-gate of Tripura City built of gold; silver and iron in the sky; air and earth by Maya for the demons; rudra baaNahatam = struck by the arrow of Shiva.
The demon, tormented by Lakshmana's arrow, then trembled violently as when the terrific town-gate of Tripura City, (built of gold, silver and iron in the sky, air and earth by Maya for the demons) was struck by Shiva's arrow.
चिन्तयामास चाश्वस्य विमृश्य च महाबलः || ६-७१-७५
साधु बाणनिपातेन श्वाघनीयोऽसि मे रिपुः |
75. mahaabalaH = that demon of great strength; aashvasya = recovering his breath; vimR^ishya = reasoningly; chintayaamaasa = reflected; saadhu = well!; baaNanipaatena = by flying down and arrow; asi = you have become; me = to me; shlaaghaniiyaH = a commendable; ripuH = enemy.
That demon of great strength, recovering his breath, reasoningly reflected as follows: "Well! By flying down an arrow, you have become a commendable enemy for me."
विचार्यैवम् विनम्यास्यं विनम्य च भुजावुभौ || ६-७१-७६
स रथोपस्थमास्थाय रथेन प्रचचार ह |
76. evam = thus; vidhaaya = speaking; saH = Atikaya; vidaarya = widely opening; aasyam = him mouth; vinamya = bending down; mahaabhujau = with his large shoulders; aasthaaya = ascended; rathopastham = the top of his chariot; prachachaaraha = roamed about hither and thither; rathena = with his chariot.
Thus speaking with his mouth wide open, Atikaya bent down with his large shoulder, ascended the top of his chariot and roamed about hither and thither by his chariot.
एकम् त्रीन्पञ्च सप्तेति सायकान्राक्षसर्षभः || ६-७१-७७
आददे सन्दधे चापि विचकर्षोत्ससर्ज च |
77. raakShasarShabhaH = that foremost of demons; aadade = took out; ekam = one; triin = three; paN^cha = five; sapteti = and seven; saayakaan = arrows; samdadhe cha api = fixing the arrows to the bow; vichakarSha = and stretching it; utsasarja cha = released (the arrows).
Atikaya, the foremost of demons, seized hold of one, three, five and seven arrows and fixed them to his bow, stretched it and released the arrows.
ते बाणाः कालसङ्काशा राक्षसेन्द्रधनुश्च्युताः || ६-७१-७८
हेमपुङ्खा रविप्रख्याश्चक्रुर्दीप्तमिवाम्बरम् |
78. te = those arrows; raakShasendradhanuH chyutaaH = released from the bow of the leader of demons; kaalasamkaashaaH = appearing as Death; hemapuN^khaaH = with golden shafts; raviprakhyaaH iva = shining like the sun; chakruH ambaram diiptam = set the sky ablaze.
Those arrows, released from the bow of Atikaya, the leader of demons, appearing as Death, with golden shafts and shining like the sun, set the sky ablaze.
ततस्तान्राक्षसोत्सृष्टाञ्शरौघान्रावणानुजः || ६-७१-७९
असम्भ्रान्तः प्रचिच्छेद निशितैर्बहुभिः शरैः |
79. tataH = thereupon; raaghavaanujaH = Lakshmana; asambhraantaH = coolly; prachichchheda = chopped off; taan = those; sharaughaan = gluts of arrows; raakShasotsR^iShTaan = released by the foremost of demons; bahubhiH nishitaiH sharaiH = by the multitude of his sharp arrows.
Thereupon, Lakshmana coolly chopped off those gluts of arrows released by that foremost of demons, by the multitude of his sharp arrows.
ताञ्शरान्युधि सम्प्रेक्ष्य निकृत्तान्रावणात्मजः || ६-७१-८०
चुकोप त्रिदशेन्द्रारिर्जग्राह निशितम् शरम् |
80. samprekShya = perceiving; taan sharaan = those arrows; nikR^ittan = being chopped off; yuddi = in battle; raavaNaatmajaH = Atikaya; tridashendraari = the enemy of Indra the lord of celestials; chukopa = was enraged; jagraaha = and took out; nishitam sharam = a sharp arrow.
That Atikaya, of great splendour, fixing that arrow to his bow and by instantly releasing it, struck the approaching Lakshmana in the middle of his chest.
स सन्धाय महातेजास्तं बाणम् सहसोत्सृजत् || ६-७१-८१
ततः सौमित्रिमायान्तमाजघान स्तनान्तरे |
81. saH = that Atikaya; mahaatejaH = of great splendour; samdhaaya = fixing; tam = that; baaNam = arrow (to his bow); sahasaa = instantly; utsR^ijat = released; tena = and by it; aajaghaana = struck; aayaantam = the approaching; saumitrim = Lakshmana; stanyaantare = in the middle of his chest.
That Atikaya, of great splendour, fixing that arrow to his bow and by instantly releasing it, struck the approaching Lakshmana in the middle of his chest.
अतिकायेन सौमित्रिस्ताडितो युधि वक्षसि || ६-७१-८२
सुस्राव रुधिरम् तीव्रं मदं मत्त इव द्विपः |
82. taaDitaH = struck; atikaayena = by Atikaya; vakShasi = in his chest; yudhi = in the battle; saumitriH = Lakshmana; susraava = oozed out; rudhiram = blood; tiivram = severely; madam iva = like the fluid exuding; mattaH dvipaH = from a rutting elephant.
Struck in battle by Atikaya in his chest, Lakshmana oozed out blood severely, like the fluid exuding from a rutting elephant.
स चकार तदात्मानम् विशल्यं सहसा विभुः || ६-७१-८३
जग्राह च शरम् तीष्णमस्त्रेणापि समादधे |
83. saH vibhuH = that powerful Lakshmana; tadaa = then; sahasaa = quickly; chakaara = made; aatmaanam = himself; vishalya = freed from the arrow-head; jagraaha = and took up; tiikShNam = a sharp; sharam = arrow; samdadhe cha = and fixed it; astreNa = with a missile.
That powerful Lakshmana, then quickly made himself freed from that arrow-head, took up a sharp arrow and fixed it with a missile.
आग्नेयेन तदास्त्रेण योजयामास सायकम् || ६-७१-८४
स जज्वाल तदा बाणो धनुश्चास्य महात्मनः |
84. tadaa = then; yojayaamaasa = (Lakshmana) employed; agneyena astreNa = the missile of fire; saayakam = on his arrow; asya mahaatmanaH baaNaH = that arrow of the great souled Lakshmana; dhanushcha = and the bow too; jajvaala = caused a flame to blaze.
When Lakshmana employed the missile of fire on his arrow, that arrow of the great souled Lakshmana and as also the bow, caused a flame to blaze.
अतिकायोऽतितेजस्वी सौरमस्त्रम् समाददे || ६-७१-८५
तेन बाणं भुजङ्गाभम् हेमपुङ्खमयोजयत् |
85. atikaayaH = Atikaya; atitejasvii = of great splendour; samaadade = took-up; sauram astram = a solar missile; ayojayat = and employed; tena = it; tam baaNam = on that arrow; hema puNkham = with a golden shaft; bhujangaabham = and looking like a serpent.
Atikaya of great splendour took up a solar missile and employed it on that arrow, having a golden shaft as also looking like a serpent.
ततस्तम् ज्वलितं घोरम् लक्ष्मणः शरमाहितम् || ६-७१-८६
अतिकायाय चिक्षेप कालदण्डमिवान्तकः |
86. lakShmaNaH = (Meanwhile) Lakshmana; chikShepa = hurled; atikaayaaya = at Atikaya; jvalitam = that blazing; ghoram = and awful; sharam = arrow; aahitam = employed; tat = with that; astram = mystic missile; antakaH = as Yama the lord of Death; (would hurl); kaala daN^Damiva = his rod of destruction.
Meanwhile, Lakshmana hurled at Atikaya, that blazing and awful arrow employed with that mystic missile as Yama the lord of Death would hurl his rod of destruction.
आग्नेयेनाभिसम्युक्तम् दृष्ट्वा बाणं निशाचरः || ६-७१-८७
उत्ससर्ज तदा बाणम् दीप्तम् सूर्यास्त्रयोजितम् |
87. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; baaNam = the arrow; agneyaastraabhisamyuktam = charged with a missile of fire nishaacharaH = the demon; tadaa = then; usasarja = released; raudram = and awful; baaNam = arrow; suuryaastra yojitam = charged with the solar missile.
Seeing that arrow charged with a mystic missile of fire, Atikaya the demon then released the awful arrow charged with the solar missile.
तावुभावम्बरे बाणावन्योन्यमभिजघ्नतुः || ६-७१-८८
तेजसा सम्प्रदीप्ताग्रौ क्रुद्धाविव भुजम् गमौ |
88. tau = those; ubhau = two; baaNau = arrows; tejasau sampradiiptaagrau = with their points blazing in splendour; abhijaghuutuH = struck; anyonyam = at each other; ambare = in the sky; kruddhau bhujangamau iva = like two enraged serpents.
Those two arrows, having their points blazed in splendour, struck at each other in the sky, like two enraged serpents.
तावन्योन्यम् विनिर्दह्य पेततुर्धरणीतले || ६-७१-८९
निरर्चिषौ भस्मकृतौ न भ्राजेते शरोत्तमौ |
तावुभरु दीप्यमानौ स्म न भ्राजेते महीतले || ६-७१-९०
89; 90. tau = those two arrows; vinirdadhya = completely burning; anyonyam = one another; petatuH = fell down; pR^ithiviitale = on the ground; sharottamau = those excellent arrows; bhasmakR^itau = both reduced to ashes; nirarchiShau = without a flame; na bhraajete = were not radiant; tau = those; ubhau = two arrows; diipyamaanau = blazing; na bhraajete = were not radiant; mahiitale = on the earth's surface.
Those two excellent arrows, eventhough they were both blazing, did not radiate any longer on the earth's surface, in that they were without a flame and had been reduced to ashes.
ततोऽतिकायः सङ्क्रुद्धस्त्वस्त्रमैषीकमुत्सृजत् |
तत्प्रचिच्छेद सौमित्रिरस्त्रमैन्द्रेण वीर्यवान् || ६-७१-९१
91. tataH = thereupon; atikaayaH = Atikaya; samkruddhaH = enraged; utsR^ijat = released; aiShiikam = an arrow made of cane; tvaaShTram = presided over by Tvashta (the architect of gods); tataH = then; viiryavaan = the valiant; saumitraiH = Lakshmana; chichheda = chopped off; astram = that missile; aindreNa = by his missile presided over by Indra the lord of celestials.
Thereupon, the enraged Atikaya released an arrow made of cane (a missile) presided over by Tvasha (the architect of gods). Then, the valiant LakShmana chopped off that missile, by his missile presided over by Indra the lord of celestials.
ऐषीकं निहतम् दृष्ट्वा कुमारो रावणात्मजः |
याम्येनास्त्रेण सङ्क्रुद्धो योजयामास सायकम् || ६-७१-९२
92. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; aiShiikam = his arrow made of cane; nihatam = struck down; kumaaraH = that young; raavaNaatmajaH = Atikaya; samkruddhaH = was quite enraged; yojayaamaasa = and fixed; saayakam = his arrow; yaamyena astreNa = with a missile presided over by Yama the lord of retribution.
Seeing his arrow made of cane struck down, that young Atikaya was quite enraged and fixed his arrow with a missile presided over by Yama the lord of retribution.
ततस्तदस्त्रम् चिक्षेप लक्ष्मणाय निशाचरः |
वायव्येन तदस्त्रम् तु निजघान स लक्ष्मणः || ६-७१-९३
93. tataH = thereupon; nishaacharaH = Atikaya; chikShepa = hurled; tat = that; astram = missile; lakShmaNaaya = on Lakshmana; saH lakShmaNaH = that Lakshmana; tat nijaghaana = struck it down; vaayuvyena astreNa = by a missile presided over by the wind-god.
Thereupon, Atikaya hurled that missile on Lakshmana. That Lakshmana struck it down by a missile presided over by the wind-god.
अथैनम् शरधाराभिर्धाराभिरिव तोयदः |
अभ्यवर्षत सङ्क्रुद्धो लक्ष्मणो रावणात्मजम् || ६-७१-९४
94. atha = then; samkruddhaH = the furious; lakShmaNaH = Lakshmana; abhyavarShata = showered forth; sharadhaaraabhiH = hails of arrows; enam raavaNaatmajam = on this Atikaya; toyadaH iva = as a cloud; dhaaraabhiH iva = showers hails of down-pour.
Then, the furious Lakshmana showered forth hails of arrows on Atikaya, as a rainy cloud showers hails of down-pour.
तेऽतिकायम् समासाद्य कवचे वज्रभूषिते |
भग्नाग्रशल्याः सहसा पेतुर्बाणा महीतले || ६-७१-९५
95. sanaasaadya = reaching; atikaayam = Atikaya; te baaNaaH = those arrows; bhagnaagra shalyaa = with the points of their shafts shattered; kavache = on the armour; vajrabhuuShite = adorned with diamonds; sahase = and instantly; petuH = fell; mahiitale = on the earth's surface.
Reaching Atikaya, those arrows with the points of their shafts shattered on his armour, adorned with diamonds and instantly fell on the earth's surface.
तान्मोघानभिसम्प्रेक्ष्य लक्ष्मणः परवीरहा |
अभ्यवर्षत बाणानाम् सहस्रेण महायशाः || ६-७१-९६
96. abhisamprekShya = seeing; taan = those arrows; moghaan = becoming unsuccessful; mahaayashaaH = the greatly famous; lakShmaNaH = Lakshmana; paraviirahaa = the annihilator of enemy-warriors; abhyavarShata = showered forth; baaNaanaam = arrows; sahasreNa = in thousand.
Seeing those arrows becoming unsuccessful, the highly famous Lakshmana the annihilator of enemy-warriors, showered forth arrows in thousands.
स वर्ष्यमाणो बाणौघैरतिकायो महाबलः |
अवध्यकवचः सङ्ख्ये राक्षसो नैव विव्यथे || ६-७१-९७
97. atikaayaH = Atikaya; saH mahaakaayaH raakShasaH = that mighty demon; vR^iShyamaaNaH = (though) deluged; baaNaughaiH = with a flood of arrows; na vivyathe = was not agitated; samkhye = in battle; avadhyakavachaH = because of the inviolability of is armour.
Atikaya, that mighty demon, though deluged with a flood of arrows, was not agitated in battle because of the inviolability of his armour.
शरं चाशीविषाकारं लक्ष्मणाय व्यपासृजत् |
स तेन विद्धः सौमित्रिर्मर्मदेशे शरेण ह || ६-७१-९८
मुहूर्तमात्रं निःसम्ज्ञो ह्यभव च्छत्रुतापनः |
98. vyapaasR^ijat = (Atikaya) released; sharam = an arrow; aashiiviShaakaaram = having a serpent-like form; lakShmaNaaya = on Lakshmana; viddhaH = struck; tena shareNa = by that arrow; marmadeshe = on his vital parts; saH saumitriH = that Lakshmana; shatrutaapanaH = the tormentator of his enemies; abhavat = became; niH samjNaH = unconscious; muhuurtamaatram = just for a moment.
Atikaya released an arrow having a serpent-like form on Lakshmana. Struck by that arrow on his vital parts, that Lakshmana, the tormentator of his enemies, felt unconscious just for a moment.
ततः सम्ज्ञामुपालभ्य चतुर्भिः सायतोत्तमैः || ६-७१-९९
निजघान हयान् संख्ये सारथिम् च महाबलः |
ध्वजस्योन्मथनम् कृत्वा शरवर्षै ररिंदमः|| ६-७१-१००
99; 100. upaalabhya = having regained; samjJNaam = his consciousness; mahaabalaH = the mighty Lakshmana; arimdamaH = the annihilator of enemies; sharavarShaiH = with his flood of arrows; unmathanam kR^itvaa = throwing down; dhvajasya = the flag-staff; nijaghaana = killed; saarathim = the charioteer; hayaan = and the horses; samkhye = in combat; chaturbhiH saayakottamaiH = with his four excellent arrows.
Having regained his consciousness, the mighty Lakshmana, the annihilator of enemies, with his flood of arrows threw down the flag-staff and killed the horses and the charioteer in combat, with his four excellent arrows.
असंभ्रान्तः स सौमित्रिस्तान् शरानभिलक्षितान् |
मुमोच लक्ष्मणो बाणान् वधार्थं तस्य रक्षसः || ६-७१-१०१
101. asambhraantaH = free from flurry; saH lakShmaNaH = that Lakshmana; saumitriH = the son of Sumitra; mumocha = released; taan sharaan = those arrows; abhilakShitaan = aiming at him; vadhaartham = for killing; tasya rakShasaH = of that demon.
Free from flurry, that Lakshmana, the son of Sumitra, released those arrows, exactly aiming at that demon, for the purpose of killing him.
न शशाक रुजम् कर्तुम् युधि तस्य नरोत्तमः |
अथैनमभ्युपागम्य वायुर्वाक्यमुवाच ह || ६-७१-१०२
102. narottamaH = Lakshmana; the best among men; na shashaaka = was not able; kartum rujam = to afflict any injury; tasya = to him; yuddhi = in battle; atha = thereupon; vaayuH = the wind-god; upaagamya = approaching; enam = him; uvaacha ha = spoke; vaakyam = (the following) words:
Lakshmana, the best among men, was not able to afflict any injury to Atikaya in battle. Then, the wind-god came to him and spoke to him as follows:
ब्रह्मदत्तवरो ह्येष अवध्य कवचावृतः |
ब्राह्मेणास्त्रेण भिन्ध्येनमेष वध्यो हि नान्यथा || ६-७१-१०३
अवध्य एष ह्यन्येषामस्त्राणाम् कवची बली |
103. eShaH = he; brahmadattavaraH = endowed with a boon by Brahma the lord of creation; avadhya kavachaavR^itaH = is cloaked with an inviolable armour; bhindi = split; enam = him; brahmeNa astreNa = with a missile of Brahama; eShaH = he; na vadhyaH = cannot be killed anyathaa = by any other way; baliiH = the mighty; eShaH = Atikaya; kavachii = with that armour; avadhyaH = cannot be destroyed; anyeShaam = by other; astraaNaam = missiles.
"He, endowed with a boon by Brahma the lord of creation, is cloaked by inviolable armour. Split him with a missile of Brahma. He cannot be killed by any other means. The mighty Atikaya, with that armour, cannot be destroyed by other missiles."
ततः स वायोर्वचनं निशम्य |
समाददे बाणममोघवेगं |
तद्ब्राह्ममस्त्रम् सहसा नियोज्य || ६-७१-१०४
104. tataH = then; nishamya = hearing; vachanam = the words; vaayoH = of the wind-god; saumitriH = Lakshmana; indra pratimaana viiryaH = having a prowess equal to that of Indra; niyujya = fixing; tat = that; braahmaam astram = missile presided over by Brahma; samaadadhe = directed; baaNam = the arrow; ugravegam = with a terrific force; sahasaa = quickly.
Then, hearing the words of the wind-god, Lakshmana having a prowess equal to that of Indra the lord of celestials, adjusting his arrow with a missile presided over by Vrahma, quickly directed the arrow with a terrific force.
तस्मिन्वरास्त्रे तु नियुज्यमाने |
सौमित्रिणा बाणवरे शिताग्रे |
दिशः सचन्द्रार्कमहाग्रहाश् च |
नभश्च तत्रास ररास चोर्वी || ६-७१-१०५
105. niyujyamaane = while fixing; varaastre = that excellent missile; baanavare = on that superior arrow; shitaagre = with a sharp point; saumitriNaa = by Lakshmana; dishaH cha = (all) the quarters; chandraarka mahaagrahaashcha = moon; sun and the great planets; nabhashcha = as also the sky; tatraasa = were frightened; urviicha = earth also; raaraasa = made an uproar.
While fixing that excellent missile on that superior sharp-pointed arrow by Lakshmana, all the quarters, the sun, the moon, the great planets and the sky were frightened. Earth also made an uproar.
तं ब्रह्मणोऽस्त्रेण नियुज्य चापे |
शरम् सुपुङ्खं यमदूतकल्पम् |
सौमित्रिरिन्द्रारिसुतस्य तस्य |
ससर्ज बाणम् युधि वज्रकल्पम् || ६-७१-१०६
106. niyujya = having charged; brahmaNaH astraH = the missile of Brahma; tam sharam = on that arrows; sapuN^kham = with the feathers and all; yama duutakalpam = equal to a messenger of Yama the lord of Death; chaape = over the bow; saumitriH = Lakshmana; sasarja = released; baaNam = that arrows; vajrakalpam = similar to a thunder bolt; tasya indraarisutasya = on that son of Ravana.
Having charged the missile of Brahma on that arrow with the feathers and all, equal to a messenger of Yama the lord of Death over his bow, Lakshmana released that arrow looking like a thunderbolt on Atikaya, the son of Ravana.
तम् लक्ष्मणोत्सृष्टममोघवेगं |
समापतन्तम् ज्वलनप्रकाशम् |
तदातिकायः समरे ददर्श || ६-७१-१०७
107. atikaayaH = Atikaya; dadarsha = saw; tam baaNam = that arrow; lakShmaNotskR^iShTavivR^iddha vegam = released with augmented force by Lakshmana; shvasanogravegam = moving so fastly as the wind; suparNavajrottamchitra puNkham = having beautiful wings with variegated feathers; looking like an excellent thunderbolt; samaapatantam = approaching him; samara = in battle.
Atikaya saw that arrow, released with augmented force by Lakshmana, moving so fastly as the wind, having beautiful wings with variegated feathers and looking like a thunderous thunderbolt, approaching him in battle.
तं प्रेक्षमाणः सहसातिकायो |
जघान बाणैर्निशितैरनेकैः |
स सायकस्तस्य सुपर्णवेगस् |
तदातिवेगेन जगाम पार्श्वम् || ६-७१-१०८
108. prekShyamaaNaH = seeing; tam = that arrow; atikaayaH = Atikaya; sahasaa = quickly; jaghaana = struck; anekaiH = with several; nishitaiH = sharp; baaNaiH = arrows; saH tasya saayakaH = that arrow of Lakshmana; suvarNavegaH = with a speed equal to Garuda the eagle; tathaa = thus; jagaama = reached; paarshvam = his proximity.
Seeing that arrow, Atikaya quickly struck with several sharp arrows. That Lakshmana's arrow, with a speed equal to Garuda the eagle, thus reached Atikaya's proximity.
तमागतं प्रेक्ष्य तदातिकायो बाणं प्रदीप्तान्तककालकल्पम् |
जघान शक्त्यृष्टिगदाकुठारैः शूलैर्हलैश्चाप्यविपन्नचेष्टः || ६-७१-१०९
109. prekShya = seeing; tam baaNam = that arrow; pradiiptaantakakaala kalpam = blazing and looking like Yama the lord of Death and black in colour; aagatam = approaching; atikaayaH = Atikaya; tadaa = then; jaghaana = struck it; shaktyR^iShTigadaa kuThaaraiH = with spike; spear; mace axe; sharaishchaapi = and arrows.
Seeing that blazing arrow, looking like Yama the lord of Death and black in colour, approaching him, Atikaya then struck it with spike, spear, mace, axe and arrows.
मोघानि कृत्वा स शरोऽग्निदीप्तः |
प्रसह्य तस्यैव किरीटजुष्टं |
तदातिकायस्य शिरो जहार || ६-७१-११०
110. tadaa = then; saH sharaH = that arrow; agnidiiptaH = blazing like fire; moghaani kR^itvaa taani aayudhaani = made in vain; those weapons; adbhuta vigrahaani = of wonderful form; pragR^ihya = taking; shiraH = his head; jahaara = carried it away.
Then, that arrow, blazing like fire, made in vain those weapons of wonderful form and taking Atikaya's head, carried it away.
तच्छिरः सशिरस्त्राणम् लक्ष्मणेषुप्रपीडितम् |
पपात सहसा भूमौ शृङ्गम् हिमवतो यथा || ६-७१-१११
111. tat = that; shiraH = head; sashirastraaNam = with its diadem; lakShmaNeShu pramaditam = destroyed by Lakshmana; papaata = fell down; sahasaa = quickly; bhuumau = on the ground; shR^iNgam yathaa = like a peak; himavataH = of the Himalayan mountain.
That head with its diadem, chopped off by Lakshmana, quickly fell down on the ground, like a peak of the Himalayan Mountain.
तं भूमौ पतितं दृष्ट्वा विक्षिप्ताम्बरभूषणम् |
बभूवुर्व्यथिताः सर्वे हरशेषा निशाचराः|| ६-७१-११२
112. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; tam = that Atikaya; patitam = who fell; bhuumau = on the ground; vikShiptaambara bhuuShaNam = with his clothes and ornaments scattered away; sarve = all; hataseShaaH = the surviving; nishaacharaaH = demons; babhuuvuH = became; vyathitaaH = perturbed.
Seeing Atikaya falling on the ground, with his clothes and ornaments scattered away, all the surviving demons became perturbed.
ते विषण्णमुखा दीनाः प्रहारजनितश्रमाः |
विनेदुरुच्चैर्बहवः सहसा विस्वरैः स्वरैः|| ६-७१-११३
113. bahavaH = many; te diinaaH = of those depressed demons; viShaNNa mukhaaH = dejected in countenance; prahaarajanita shramaaH = with a fatigue born of fighting; sahasaa = suddenly; vineduH = began to shout; uchchaiH = loudly; svaraiH = with their voices; visvaraiH = in discordant notes.
Many of those depressed demons, dejected as they were, showing fatigue born of fighting, in their faces, suddenly began to shout loudly, with their voices in discordant notes.
ततस्तत्परितो याता निरपेक्षा निशाचराः |
पुरीमभिमुखा भीता द्रवन्तो नायके हते || ६-७१-११४
114. naayake hate = as their leader was dead; nishaacharaaH = the demons; tataH = then; bhiitaaH = were frightened; nirapekShaaH = and being indifferent to fight; yaataaH = went; dravantaH = running away; abhimukhaaH = with their faces turned towards; tat puriim = that city; paritaH = all around.
As their leader was dead, the demons were then frightened and becoming indifferent to fight, went running away all around, with their faces turned towards that City of Lanka.
प्रहर्षयुक्ता बहवस्तु वानरा |
हते रिपौ भीमबले दुरासदे || ६-७१-११५
115. bhiima bale duraasade ripau hate = after the dangerous demon with terrific strength was killed; bahavaH = the multitude was killed; bahavaH = the multitude; vaanaraaH = of monkeys; tadaa = then; praharShayuktaaH = were endowed with a great delight; praphullapadmapratimaananaaH = with their faces; apuujayan = and worshipped; lakShmaNam = Lakshmana; iShTabhaaginam = who was blessed with the fulfillment of his desire.
When the dangerous demon with the terrific strength was killed, the multitude of monkeys then were endowed with a great delight, with their faces looking like full blown lotuses and worshipped Lakshmana who got his desire fulfilled.
अतिबल मतिकायमभ्रकल्पं |
युधि विनिपात्य स लक्ष्मणः प्रहृष्टः |
त्वरितमथ तदा स रामपार्श्वं
कपिनिवहैश्च सुपूजितो जगाम || ६-७१-११६
116. vinipaatya = throwing down; yudhi = in battle; atikaayam = that Atikaya; atibalam = who was exceedingly strong; abhrakalpam = and looking like a cloud; saH lakShmanaH = that Lakshmana; tadaa = then; prahR^iShTaH = was greatly delighted; supuujitaH = and while he was being worshipped; kapinivahaiH = by the multitude of monkeys; atha = thereupon; tvaritam = quickly; jagaama = hastened towards; raama paarshvam = the vicinity of Rama.
Throwing down in battle, that Atikaya who was exceedingly strong and looking like a cloud, Lakshmana was greatly delighted and while he was being worshipped by the multitude of monkeys, thereupon quickly hastened towards the proximity of Rama.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे एकसप्ततितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© April 2008, K. M. K. Murthy