Mahodara, Trishira and Devantaka start attacking Angada. When Angada attacks them with trees, they chop off the trees and break away the rocks hurled at them. With a blow of Angada's palm, Devantakas's elephant falls down dead. Seeing Angada being surrounded by three valiant demons, Hanuma and Neela arrive there. With a blow of Hanuma's fist, Devantaka dies. Trishira and Mahodara attack Neela with their arrows. Mahodara dies in the hands of Neela. Meanwhile, Hanuma and Trisira fight at each other. Hanuma finally kills Trishira, by chopping off his three heads by Trishira's sword itself. Then, Mahaparshva, the demon comes to the battle field and attacks Rishabha, the monkey-warrior. By banging Mahaparshva's mace on Mahaparshva Rishabha kills him.
नरान्तकम् हतम् दृष्ट्वा चुक्रुशुर् नैरृतर्षभाः।
देवान्तकः त्रिमूर्धा च पौलस्त्यः च महोदरः॥ ६-७०-०१
1. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; naraantakam = Narantaka; hatam = dying; devaantakaH = Devantaka; trimuurdhaacha = Trishira; mahodaraah cha = and Mahodara; paulastyaH = the son of Pulastya; nairR^itarShabhaaH = the foremost of demons; chukrushuH = wept.
Seeing Narantaka dying, Devantaka, Trishira and Mahodara the son of Pulastya the foremost of demons, wept.
आरूढो मेघ सम्काशम् वारण इन्द्रम् महा उदरः |
वालि पुत्रम् महा वीर्यम् अभिदुद्राव वीर्यवान् || ६-७०-०२
2. aaruuDha = mounting; vaaraNendram = and excellent elephant; meghasamkaasham = resembling a cloud; mahodaraH = Mahodara; vegavaan = having a abhidudraava = attacked; vaaliputram = Angada; mahaaviiryam = of great energy.
Mounting an excellent elephant, resembling a cloud, Mahodara hurrily attacked Angada of great energy.
भ्रातृ व्यसन सम्तप्तस् तदा देव अन्तको बली |
आदाय परिघम् दीप्तम् अन्गदम् समभिद्रवत् || ६-७०-०३
3. balii = the strong; devaantakaH = Devantaka; bhraatR^ivyansasantaptaH = tormented over his brother's calamity; tadaa = then; samabhidravat = ran towards; aN^gadam = Angada; aadaaya = seizing; gharam parigham = a terrific iron rod.
The strong Devantaka, tormented at his brother's calamity, then taking a terrific iron rod, ran towards Angada.
रथम् आदित्य सम्काशम् युक्तम् परम वाजिभिः |
आस्थाय त्रिशिरा वीरो वालि पुत्रम् अथ अभ्ययात् || ६-७०-०४
4. atha = thereupon; viiraH = the valiant trishiraaH = Trishira; aasthaaya = mounting; ratham = a chariot; aaditya samkaasham = resembling the sun; yuktam = and yoked; parama vaajibhiH = with excellent horses; abhyagaat = went towards; vaaliputram = Angada.
Thereupon, the valiant Trishira, mounting a chariot resembling the sun and yoked with excellent horses, marched towards Angada.
स त्रिभिर् देव दर्पघ्नैर् नैरृत इन्द्रैर् अभिद्रुतः |
वृक्षम् उत्पाटयाम् आस महा विटपम् अन्गदः || ६-७०-०५
5. saH = that; aN^gadaH = Angada; abhidrutaH = being attacked; tribhiH raakShasendraiH = by the three chief demons; devaradarpaghnaiH = who smashed the pride of celestials; utpaaTayaamaasa = uplifted; vR^ikSham = a tree; mahaaviTapam = with large boughs.
That Angada, being attacked by the three chief demons, who were capable of smashing the pride of celestials, uplifted a tree with its large boughs.
देव अन्तकाय तम् वीरसःचिक्षेप सहसा अन्गदः |
महा वृक्षम् महा शाखम् शक्रो दीप्तम् इव अशनिम् || ६-७०-०६
6. viiraH = the valiant; aN^gadaH = Angada; chikShepa = hurled; tam = that; mahaavR^ikSham = large tree; mahaashaakham = with big branches; sahasaa = quickly; devaantakaaya = on Devantaka; shakraH iva = as Indra the lord of celestials (hurls); diiptaam = a blazing; ashanim = thunderbolt.
The valiant Angada hurled that large tree with big branches quickly on Devantaka as Indra the lord of celestials would a blazing thunderbolt.
त्रिशिरास् तम् प्रचिच्चेद शरैर् आशी विष उपमैः |
स वृक्षम् कृत्तम् आलोक्य;उत्पपात ततो अन्गदः || ६-७०-०७
7. trishiraaH = Trishira; prachichheda = chopped off; tam = that tree; sharaiH = with arrows; aashiiviShopamaiH = resembling serpents; aalokya = seeing; vR^ikSham = the tree; kR^ittam = chopped off; saH aN^gadaH = that Angada; tadaa = then; utpapaata = sprang up on.
Trishira chopped off that tree with arrows looking like serpents. Seeing the tree chopped off, that Angada then sprang up.
स ववर्ष ततो वृक्षान् शिलासःच कपि कुन्जरः |
तान् प्रचिच्चेद सम्क्रुद्धस् त्रिशिरा निशितैःशरैः || ६-७०-०८
8. tataH = thereupon; saH = that; kapikuN^jaraH = foremost of monkeys; vavarSha = streamed forth; vR^ikShaan = trees; shilaashcha = and rocks; samkruddhaH = the enraged; trishiraH = Trishira; taan prachichchheda = chopped them off; nishitaiH sharaiH = with sharp arrows.
Thereupon, that foremost of monkeys streamed forth trees and rocks. The enraged Trishara chopped them off with his sharp arrows.
परिघ अग्रेण तान् वृक्षान् बभन्ज च सुर अन्तकः |
त्रिशिरासःच अन्गदम् वीरम् अभिदुद्राव सायकैः || ६-७०-०९
9. saH mahodaraH = that Mahodara; babhaN^ja = broke; taan = those; vR^ikShaan = trees; parighaagreNa = with the tip of his club; trishiraaH cha = Trishira too; saayakaiH = with his arrows; abhidudraava = attacked; viiram = the valiant; aN^gadam = Angada.
That Mahodra broke those trees with the tip of his club. Trishira too with his arrows attacked the valiant Angada.
गजेन समभिद्रुत्य वालि पुत्रम् महा उदरः |
जघान उरसि सम्क्रुद्धस् तोमरैर् वज्र सम्निभैः || ६-७०-१०
10. gajena = with an elephant; samabhidrutya = marching ahead quickly; vaaliputram = towards Angada; mahodaraH = Mahodara; samkruddhaH = enraged; jaghaana = struck; urasi = on his chest; tomaraiH = with javelins; vajra samnibhaiH = looking like thunderbolts.
Marching ahead quickly towards Angada on an elephant, the enraged Mahodara struck on his chest with javelins looking like thunderbolts.
देव अन्तकसःच सम्क्रुद्धःपरिघेण तदा अन्गदम् |
उपगम्य अभिहत्य आशु व्यपचक्राम वेगवान् || ६-७०-११
11. tadaa = then; samkruddhaH = the enraged; devaantakaH = Devantaka; vegavaan = having a swiftness; upagamya = approaching; aN^gadam = Angada; abhihatya = and striking; aashu = quickly; parigheNa = with a club; vyapachakraama = went off to a distance.
Then, the enraged Devantaka with a speed, approached Angada, struck him quickly with a club and went off to a distance.
स त्रिभिर् नैरृत श्रेष्ठैर् युगपत् समभिद्रुतः |
न विव्यथे महा तेजा वालि पुत्रःप्रतापवान् || ६-७०-१२
12. abhidrutaH = (Eventhough) attacked; yugapat = at the same time; tribhiH nairR^ita shreShThaiH = by the three foremost of demons; saH vaaliputraH = that Angada; mahaatejaaH = of great splendour; prataapavaan = having prowess; na vivyathe = was unalarmed.
Eventhough attacked at the same time by those three foremost of demons, that Angada of great prowess and splendour, did not get alarmed.
स वेगवान् महावेगम् कृत्वा परमदुर्जयः |
तलेन भृशम् उत्पत्य जघान अस्य महा गजम् || ६-७०-१३
13. saH = Angada; vegavaan = with a speed; parama durjayaH = and very much unconquerable; mahaavegam = acting; with a great swiftness; samabhidrutya = attacking well; jaghaana = struck; asya mahaagajam = his large elephant; talena = with his palm.
The speedy and quite unconquerable Angada, acting with a great swiftness and attacking well, struck Devantaka's elephant with his palm.
तस्य तेन प्रहारेण नागराजस्य सम्युगे |
पेततुर् लोचने तस्य विननाद स वारणः || ६-७०-१४
14. tena tasya prahaareNa = by that blow of Angada; samyuge = in battle; tasya naagaraajasya nayane = the eyes of that royal elephant; petatuH = fell down; saH = that; kuN^jaraH = elephant; vinanaasha = died.
By that blow of Angada in battle, the eyes of that royal elephant fell down and that elephant died.
विषाणम् च अस्य निष्कृष्य वालि पुत्रो महा बलः |
देव अन्तकम् अभिद्रुत्य ताडयाम् आस सम्युगे || ६-७०- १५
15. niShkR^iShya = pulling out; viShaaNam = a tusk; asya = of this elephant; samyuge = in battle; mahaabalaH = the mighty; vaaliputraH = Angada; abhidrutya = running quickly; devaantakam = towards Devantaka; taaDayaamaasa = struck him.
Pulling out a tusk of that elephant in battle, the mighty Angada ran towards Devantaka quickly and struck him.
स विह्वलित सर्व अन्गो वात उद्धत;इव द्रुमः |
लाक्षा रस सवर्णम् च सुस्राव रुधिरम् मुखात् || ६-७०-१६
16. saH = that Devantaka; tejasvii = with vigour; vihvalaH = swayed to and fro; drumaH iva = like a tree; vaatoddhuutaH = tossed up by wind; susraava = and emitted; mahat = a lot; rudhiram = of blood; laakShaarasa savarNam = with the colour of a lacquer.
That energetic Devantaka swayed to and fro in disorder, like a tree being tossed up by the wind and emitted plenty of blood with the colour of a lacquer.
अथ आश्वास्य महा तेजाःकृच्च्राद् देव अन्तको बली |
आविध्य परिघम् घोरम् आजघान तदा अन्गदम् || ६-७०-१७
17. atha = thereafter; balii = the strong; devaantakaH = Devantaka; mahaatejaaH = of great splendour; aashvasya = recovering his breath; kR^ichchhraat = with difficulty; tadaa = then; aajaghaana = struck; aN^gadam = Angada; vegaat = violently; aavidhya = by firmly holding; parigham = an iron rod.
Thereafter, the strong Devantaka of great splendour, recovering his breath with a great difficulty, then struck Angada violently, by firmly holding an iron rod.
परिघ अभिहतसःच अपि वानर इन्द्र आत्मजस् तदा |
जानुभ्याम् पतितो भूमौ पुनर् एव उत्पपात ह || ६-७०-१८
18. tadaa = then; vaanarendraatmajaH = Angada the son of king Vali; parighaabhihataH = struck by the iron rod; patitaH = fell down; jaanubhyaam = on his knees; bhuumau = on the earth; punareva = but again; utpapaataha = jumped up.
Then, Angada the son of king Vali, struck by the iron rod, fell down on his knees on the earth, but again jumped up.
तमुत्पतन्तम् त्रिशिरास् त्रिभिर् आशी विष उपमैः |
घोरैर् हरि पतेःपुत्रम् ललाटे अभिजघान ह || ६-७०-१९
19. trishiraaH = Trishira; abhijaghaanaha = struck; ghoraiH tribhiH baaNaiH = with his three terrific arrows; ajahmagaiH = which were straight-going; lalaaTe = on the forehead; tam utpatantam = of the rising Angada; haripateH putram = the son of Vali.
While Angada, the son of Vali was jumping up, Trishira struck him with three terrific and straight-going arrows on his forehead.
ततो अन्गदम् परिक्षिप्तम् त्रिभिर् नैरृत पुम्गवैः |
हनूमान् अपि विज्नाय नीलसःच अपि प्रतस्थतुः || ६-७०-२०
20. viJ^Naaya = Noticing; aN^gadam = Angada; parikShiptam = being surrounded; tribhiH nairR^itapuNgavaiH = by three demon warriors; hanuman = Hanuma; niilashchaapi = and Neela; tataH = then; atha = moreover; pratasthatuH = went on march.
Noticing Angada being surrounded by the three demon-warriors, Hanuma and Neela went there.
ततसःचिक्षेप शैल अग्रम् नीलस् त्रिशिरसे तदा |
तद् रावण सुतो धीमान् बिभेद निशितैःशरैः || ६-७०-२१
21. tataH = thereupon; niilaH = Neela; tadaa = then; chikShepa = hurled; shailaagram = a mountain-peak; trishirase = on Trishira; dhiimaan = the intelligent; raavaNasutaH = Trishira the son of Ravana; bibheda = broke; tat = it; nishitaiH sharaiH = with his sharp arrows.
Thereupon, Neela then hurled a mountain-peak on Trishira. The intelligent Trishira the son of Ravana broke it by using his sharp arrows.
तद् बाण शत निर्भिन्नम् विदारित शिला तलम् |
सविस्फुलिन्गम् सज्वालम् निपपात गिरेःशिरः || ६-७०-२२
22. tat = that; gireH shiraH = mountain-peak; baaNa shatanirbhinnam = broken into pieces by a multitude of arrows; vidaarita shilaatalam = with its rocks split up; nipapaata = fell down; savishphuliN^gam = with sparks of fire; sajvaalam = and flames.
That mountain-peak, broken into pieces by a multitude of arrows, with its split up rocks, fell down with sparks of fire and flames.
स विजृम्भितम् आलोक्य हर्षाद् देव अन्तकस् तदा |
परिघेण अभिदुद्राव मारुत आत्मजम् आहवे || ६-७०-२३
23. aalokya = seeing; maarutaatmajam = Hanuma; vijR^imbhitam = rushing; harShaat = with joy; aahave = in battle; saH balii = that strong; devaantakaH = Devantaka; abhidudraava = ran towards him; parigheNa = with his iron rod.
Seeing Hanuma rushing with enthusiasm in the battle-front, that strong Devantaka ran towards him with his iron rod.
तम् आपतन्तम् उत्पत्य हनूमान् मारुत आत्मजः |
आजघान तदा मूर्ध्नि वज्र वेगेन मुष्टिना || ६-७०-२४
24. tadaa = then; hanuman = Hanuma; kapikuN^jaraH = the foremost of monkeys; utpatya = jumping up; aajaghaana = struck; muurdhni = on the head; tam = of that Devantaka; aapatantam = rushing on hism; muShTina = with his fist; vajrakalpena = equal to a thunder-bolt.
Then, Hanuma the foremost of monkeys, while jumping up, struck on the head of Devantaka rushing upon him with his fist equal to a thunder-bolt.
शिरसि प्राहरद्वीरस्तदा वायुसुतो बली |
नादेनाकम्पयच्चैव राक्षसान् स महाकै || ६-७०-२५
25. tadaa = then; viiraH = the valiant; balii = and strong; vaayusutaH = Hanuma; praaharat = struck (him); shirasi = on his head; saH = that; mahaakapiH = great ape; raakShasaan akampayachhaiva = made the demons shake; naadena = by the sound.
Then, the valiant and the strong Hanuma struck him on his head. That great ape made the demons shake with the sound.
स मुष्टि निष्पिष्ट विकीर्ण मूर्धा |
निर्वान्त दन्त अक्षि विलम्बि जिह्वः |
देव अन्तको राक्षस राज सूनुर् |
गत असुर् उर्व्याम् सहसा पपात || ६-७०-२६
26. saH = that; devaantakaH = Devantaka; raakShasaraaja suunuH = the son of Ravana; muShTiniShpiShTa vibhinnamuurdhaa = with his head crushed and broken by the blow of the fist; niryaanta dantaakShivilambijihvaH = with his teeth and eyes coming out and with his tonguew hanging down; sahasaa = swiftly; papaata = fell down; gataasuH = dead; urvyaam = on the earth.
That Devantaka, the son of Ravana, with his head crushed and broken by the blow of the fist, with his teeth and eyes coming out and with his tongue hanging down, swiftly fell down dead on the earth.
तस्मिन् हते राक्षस योध मुख्ये |
महा बले सम्यति देव शत्रौ |
क्रुद्धस् त्रिमूर्धा निशित अग्रम् उग्रम् |
ववर्ष नील उरसि बाण वर्षम् || ६-७०-२७
27. tasmin = he; mahaablae raakShasayuudhamukhye = the mighty chief of demon-warriors; devashatrau = and the enemy of celestials; hate = being killed; samyati = in battle; kruddhaH = the enraged; trimuurdhaa = Trishira; vavarSha = showered; ugram = a terrible; nishitaagram baaNa varSham = rain of sharp-pointed arrows; niilorasi = on Neela's chest.
When that Devantaka the mighty chief of demon-warriors and the enemy of celestials was killed in battle, the enraged Trishira showered a terrible rain of sharp-pointed arrows on Neela's chest.
महोदरस्तु सम्क्रुद्धः कुञ्जरं पर्वतोपमम् |
भूयः समधिरुह्यशु मन्दरं रश्मिमानिव || ६-७०-२८
ततो बाणमयं वर्षं नीलस्योपर्यपातयत् |
गिरौ वर्षं तडिच्चक्रम् स गर्जन्निव तोयदः || ६-७०-२९
28; 29. samadhiruhya = mounting; bhuuyaH = again; kuN^jaram = an elephant; parvatopamam = resembling a mountain; rashmimaan iva = like the sun; mandaram = ascending Mount Mandara; saH samkruddhaH mahodarastu = that enraged Mahodara on his part; a paatayat = arrows to fall; aashu = quickly; niilasya upari = on Neela; garjan toyadaH iva = like a rubling cloud; varSham = (showers) rain; taDichchakram = with circle of lightning; girau = on a mountain.
Again mounting an elephant resembling a mountain, as the sun mounting Mandara Mountain, that enraged Mahodara on his part, caused rain of arrows to fall quickly on Neela, like rumbling cloud with a circle of lightning, showers rain on a mountain.
ततः शरौघैरभिवर्ष्यमाणो |
विभिन्न गात्रःकपि सैन्य पालः |
नीलो बभूव अथ विसृष्ट गात्रो |
विष्टम्भितस् तेन महा बलेन || ६-७०-३०
30. tataH = thereupon; abhivR^iShyamaaNaH sharaughaiH = by the rain of a multitude of arrows; gaatraH = the body; niilaH = of Neela; kapisainya paalaH = the commander of the army of monkeys; babhuuva vibhinna = became blown up; atha = and then; visR^iShTagaatraH = with his loosened limbs; viShTambhitaH = paralyzed; mahaabalena tena = by the mighty Mahodara.
Thereupon, by the rain of a multitude of arrows, the body of Neela the commander of the army of monkeys became blown up. Thus the mighty Mahodara then made his loosened limbs paralyzed.
ततस् तु नीलःप्रतिलभ्य सम्ज्नाम् |
शैलम् समुत्पाट्य सवृक्ष षण्डम् |
ततःसमुत्पत्य भृश उग्र वेगो |
महा उदरम् तेन जघान मूर्ध्नि || ६-७०-३१
31. tataH = thereupon; pratilabdhasamJNaH = after obtaining consciousness; niilaH tu = Neela; samutpaaTya = uplifting; shailam = a mountain; savR^ikShakhaN^Dam = consisting of a number of trees; tataH = then; samutpatya = jumping up mahogravegaH = with a great speed; jaghaana = struck; tena = with it; muurdhni = on the head; mahodaram = of Mahodara.
After regaining consciousness, Neela uplifted a mountain consisting of a number of trees and then jumping up with a great speed, struck with it on the head of Mahodara.
ततः स शैल अभिनिपात भग्नो |
महा उदरस् तेन सह द्विपेन |
विपोथितो भूमि तले गत असुः |
पपात वर्ज अभिहतो यथा अद्रिः || ६-७०-३२
32. saH mahodaraH = that Mahodara; tataH = then; shaila nipaata bhagnaH = shattered by the fall of the mountain; vipothitaH = and crushed; tena mahaadvipena = by that large elephant too; gataasuH = lost his life; papaata = and fell down; bhuumitale = on the earth's surface; adriH yathaa = like a mountain; vajraabhihataH = struck by a thunderbolt.
That Mahodara, then shattered by the fall of that mountain and crushed by that large elephant too, lost his life and fell down on the earth like a mountain struck by a thunderbolt.
पितृव्यम् निहतम् दृष्ट्वा त्रिशिरासःचापम् आददे |
हनूमन्तम् च सम्क्रुद्धो विव्याध निशितैःशरैः || ६-७०-३३
33. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; pitR^ivyam = Mahodara; his young paternal uncle; nihatam = killed; trishiraaH = Trishira; samkruddhaH = was enraged aadade = seized hold of; chaapam = his bow; vivyaadha = and struck; hanuumantam = Hanuma; nishitaiH = with sharp; sharaiH = arrows.
Seeing Mahodara his young paternal uncle killed. Trishira was enraged seized hold of his bow and struck Hanuma with sharp arrows.
स वायुसूनुः कुपितश्चिक्षेप शिखरं गिरेः |
त्रिशिरास्तच्छरैस्तीक्ष्णैर्बिभेद बहुधा बली || ६-७०-३४
34. saH kupitaH vaayu suunuH = (while) that enraged Hanuma; chikShepa = hurled; gireH shikharam = a mountain peak; balii = the strong; trishiraaH = Trishira; bibheda = broke (it); bahudhaa = into many pieces; tiikShNaiH sharaiH = with his sharp arrows.
While that enraged Hanuma hurled a mountain-peak, the strong Trishira broke it into several pieces with his sharp arrows.
तद्व्यर्थम् शिखरं दृष्ट्वा द्रुमवर्षं तदा कपिः |
विससर्ज रणे तस्मिन् रावणस्य सुतं प्रति || ६-७०-३५
35. dR^iShTvaa = seeing; tat = that; shikharam = mountain-peak; vyartham = becoming useless; kapiH = Hanuma; tadaa = then; visasajja = released; druma varSham = a shower of trees; raavanasya sutam prati = towards Trishira; tasmin raNe = in that battle.
Seeing that mountain-peak becoming useless, Hanuma then hurled a volley of trees towards Trishira in that battle-field.
तमापतन्तमाकाशे द्रुमवर्षं प्रतापवान् |
त्रिशिरा निशितैर्बाणैश्चिच्छेद च ननाद च || ६-७०-३६
36. prataapavaan = the valiant; trishiraaH = Trishira; chichheda = chopped off; tam = that; druma varSham = volley of trees; patantam = descending on him; nishitaiH baaNaiH = with sharp arrows; aakaashe = in the sky (itself); nanaada cha = and roared aloud.
The valiant Trishira chopped off that volley of trees descending on him, with his sharp arrows in the sky itself and roared aloud.
हनूमांस् तु समुत्पत्य हयांस् त्रिशिरसस् तदा |
विददार नखैःक्रुद्धो गज इन्द्रम् मृग राड् इव || ६-७०-३७
37. tadaa = then; kruddhaH = the enraged; hanuman tu = Hanuma on his part; samutpatya = bouncing up; vidadaara = tore asunder; trishirasah = Trishira's; hayam = horse; mR^igaraaT iva = as a lion (tears asunder); naagendram iva = a large elephant; nakhaiH = with nails.
Then, the enraged Hanuma on his part, bouncing up, tore asunder with his nails, Trishira's horse, as a lion tears asunder a large elephant.
अथ शक्तिम् समादाय काल रात्रिम् इव अन्तकः |
चिक्षेप अनिल पुत्राय त्रिशिरा रावण आत्मजः || ६-७०-३८
38. atha = thereupon; trishiraaH = Trishira; raavaNaatmajaH = the son of Ravana; samaasaadya = seizing hold of; shaktim = a spear; antakaH iva = as Yama the lord of death; kaala raatrim = gets hold of a night of all-destroying time; chikShepa = and hurled it; anilaputraaya = on Hanuma.
Thereupon, Trishira the son of Ravana seizing hold of a spear, as Yama the lord of death takes in his service Kalaratri, a night of all-destroying time, hurled it on Hanuma.
दिवि क्षिप्ताम् इव उल्काम् ताम् शक्तिम् क्षिप्ताम् असम्गताम् |
गृहीत्वा हरि शार्दूलो बभन्ज च ननाद च || ६-७०-३९
39. gR^ihiitvaa = seizing hold; taamshaktim = of that spear; ulkaalaniiva = like a meteor; kShiptaam = moving speedily; divaH = in the sky; asamgataam = even without descending on him; harishreshThaH = Hanuma the foremost of monkeys; babhaN^ja cha = broke it; nanaada cha = and roared too.
Capturing that spear coming like a meteor in the sky, Hanuma the foremost of monkeys broke it, even without its descending on him and roared too.
ताम् दृष्ट्वा घोर सम्काशाम् शक्तिम् भग्नाम् हनूमता |
प्रहृष्टा वानर गणा विनेदुर् जलदा;इव || ६-७०-४०
40. dR^iShTva = seeing; taam shaktim = that spear; ghora samkaasham = with a terrific form; bhagnaam = broken up; hanuumataaH = by Hanuma; vaanaragaNaaH = the monkey-troops; prahR^iShTaaH = were very much delighted; vineduH = and roared aloud; jaladaaH yathaa = like rumbling clouds.
Seeing that spear of a terrific form broken up by Hanuma, the monkey-troops were very much delighted and roared aloud like rumbling clouds.
ततःखड्गम् समुद्यम्य त्रिशिरा राक्षस उत्तमः |
निचखान तदा रोषाद् वानर इन्द्रस्य वक्षसि || ६-७०-४१
41. tataH = thereupon; samudyamya = lifting up; khaDgam = a sword; trishiraaH = Trishira; raakShasottamaiH = the foremost of demons; tadaa = then; nichakhaana = dug; khaDgam = the sword; vakShaasi = into the breast; vaanarendrasya = of Hanuma.
Thereupon, lifting up a sword, Trishira the foremost of demons them dug it into Hanuma's breast.
खड्ग प्रहार अभिहतो हनूमान् मारुत आत्मजः |
आजघान त्रिमूर्धानम् तलेन उरसि वीर्यवान् || ६-७०-४२
42. khaDga prahaaraabhihataH = hurt by the thrust of the sword; viiryavaan = the valiant; hanuman = Hanuma; maarutaatmajah = the son of wind-god; aajaghaana = struck; trimuurdhaanam = Trishira; urasi = on his breat; talena = with his palm.
Hurt by the thrust of the sword, the valiant Hanuma the son of wind-god, struck Trishira on his breast, with his palm.
स तल भिहतस् तेन स्रस्त हस्त अम्बरो भुवि |
निपपात महा तेजास् त्रिशिरास् त्यक्त चेतनः || ६-७०-४३
43. talaabhihataH = struck by Hanuma's palm; saH trishiraaH = that Trishira; mahaatejaaH = of great splendour; nipapaata = fell down; bhuvi = on the earth; tyakta chetanaH = unconscious; srasta hastaayudhaH = with the weapons slipping from his hand.
Struck by Hanuma's palm, that Trishira of great splendour fell down unconscious on the earth with the weapons slipping from his hand.
स तस्य पततःखड्गम् समाच्चिद्य महा कपिः |
ननाद गिरि सम्काशस् त्रासयन् सर्व नैरृतान् || ६-७०-४४
44. saH mahaakapiH = that large ape; girisamkaashaH = equal to a mountain in size; aachchhidya = snatching away; tasya = his; tam patataH = that falling khaDgam = sword; nanaada = roared loudly; traasayan = frightening; sarvaraakShasaan = all the demons.
Hanuma, that large ape, equal to a mountain in size, snatching away that falling sword of Trishira, roared loudly frightening all the demons there.
अमृष्यमाणस् तम् घोषम् उत्पपात निशा चरः|
उत्पत्य च हनूमन्तम् ताडयाम् आस मुष्टिना || ६-७०-४५
45. amR^iShyamaaNaH = unable to bear; tam ghoSham = that roar; nishaacharaH = that demon; utpapaata = jumped up; utpatya = after jumping up; (he) taaDayaamaasa = struck; hanuumantam = Hanuma; muShTinaa = with his fist.
Unable to bear that roar, the demon jumped up and struck Hanuma with his fist.
तेन मुष्टि प्रहारेण संचुकोप महा कपिः |
कुपितसःच निजग्राह किरीटे राक्षस ऋषभम् || ६-७०-४६
46. mahaakapiH = Hanuma the great ape; samchukopa = was enraged; muShTi prahaareNa = by the blow of his fist; kupitaH cha = enraged as he was; nijagraaha = he seized hold of; raakShasarShabham = that foremost of demons; kiriiTe = by his head covered with diadem.
Enraged as he was by the blow of Trishiras's fist, Hanuma seized hold of Trishira the foremost of demons by his head covered by his diadem.
स तस्य शीर्षाण्य् असिना शितेन |
किरीट जुष्टानि सकुण्डलानि |
क्रुद्धःप्रचिच्चेद सुतो अनिलस्य |
त्वष्टुःसुतस्य इव शिरांसि शक्रः || ६-७०-४७
47. saH = that; kruddhaH = enraged; anilasya sutaH = Hanuma the son of wind-god; prachichchheda = chopped off; shitena asinaa = with the sharp sword; tasya shiirShaaNi = his (three) heads; kiriiTa juShTaani = furnished with diadems; sakuN^Dalaani = and ear-rings; shakraH iva = like Indra the lord of celestials (chopped off); shiraamsi = the heads; tvaShTuH sutasya = of Vishvarupa the son of Tvashta.
That enraged Hanuma the son of wind-god chopped off with that sharp sword, his three heads furnished with diadems and ear-rings, like Indra the lord of celestials chopped off the heads of Vishvarupa the son of Tvashta.
तान्यायत अक्षाण्य् अग सम्निभानि |
प्रदीप्त वैश्वानर लोचनानि |
पेतुःशिरांसि इन्द्र रिपोर् धरण्याम् |
ज्योतीम्षि मुक्तानि यथा अर्क मार्गात् || ६-७०-४८
48. taani shiraamsi = those heads; indraripoH = of Trishira the enemy of Indra; aayataakShaaNi = having longish organs of senses; aga samnibhaani = which were mountain-like; pradiipta vaishvaanara lochanaani = and having fire-like blazing eyes; petuH = fell; pR^ithivyaam = on earth; jyotiimShi yathaa = like planets and stars; muktaani = drop; arkamaargaat = from the track of the sun.
Those mountain-like heads of Trishira the enemy of Indra, having longish organs of senses and having fire-like blazing eyes, fell down on earth, as planets and stars drop from the track of the sun.
तस्मिन् हते देव रिपौ त्रिशीर्षे |
हनूमत शक्र पराक्रमेण |
नेदुःप्लवम्गाःप्रचचाल भूमी |
रक्षांस्य् अथो दुद्रुविरे समन्तात् || ६-७०-४९
हतम् त्रिशिरसम् दृष्ट्वा तथैव च महा उदरम् |
हतौ प्रेक्ष्य दुराधर्षौ देव अन्तक नर अन्तकौ || ६-७०-५०
चुकोप परम अमर्षी महा पार्श्वो महा बलः |
49; 50. dR^iSTva = seeing; Trishira = Trishira; hatam = killed; athaapi = and even; Mahodara (killed); prekShya devaantaka naraantakau = as also seeing Devantaka and Narantaka; duraadharShau = the invincible ones; hatau = killed; mattaH = Matta; raakShasa puN^gavaH = the foremost of demons; chukopa = was enraged; paramaamarShii = with indignation.
When that Trishira, the enemy of celestials, having a prowess equal to that of Indra was killed, the monkeys made a loud noise. The earth trembled. Then, the demons ran away everywhere. Seeing Trishira, Mahodara and the invincible Devantaka killed, Matta (Mahaparshva) was enraged with indignation.
जग्राह अर्चिष्मतीम् च अपि गदाम् सर्व आयसीम् शुभाम् || ६-७०-५१
हेम पट्ट परिक्षिप्ताम् मांस शोणित लेपनाम् |
विराजमानाम् वपुषा शत्रु शोणित रन्जिताम् || ६-७०-५२
तेजसा सम्प्रदीप्त अग्राम् रक्त माल्य विभूषिताम् |
ऐरावत महा पद्म सार्वभौम भय आवहाम् || ६-७०-५३
51. 52. 53. tadaa = then; jagraaha = (he) was holding; gadaam = a mace; archiShmatiim = which was resplendent; sarvaayasiim = completely made of iron; hema parikShiptaam = wound round with golden wires; maamsashoNita phenilaam = filled with a forth of flesh and blood; viraajamaanam = shining; vipulaam = large; shatrushoNita tarpitaam = satiated with the blood of advesaries; sampradiiptaagraam = the upper most part of it blazing; tejasaa = with splendour; raktamaalyavibhuuShitaam = decked with garlands of ed flowers; airaavata mahaapadma saarvabhauma bhayaavahaam = and which frightened the elephants supporting different quarters like Airavata; Mahapadma and Sarvabhauma.
Then, Mahaparshva was holding a large mace, which was resplendent, completely made of iron, wound round with golden wires, filled with a froth of flesh and blood, satiated with the blood enemies, the upper most part of which was blazing with splendour, decked with red coloured garlands and which frightened the elephants supporting the quarters like Airavata, Mahapadma and Sarvabhauma.
गदाम् आदाय सम्क्रुद्धो महा पार्श्वो महा बलः |
हरीन् समभिदुद्राव युग अन्त अग्निर् इव ज्वलन् || ६-७०-५४
54. aadaaya = taking; godaam = the mace; samkruddhaH = the enraged; mattaH = Matta; raakShasapuN^gavaH = the foremost of demons; samabhidudraava = went quickly; harrin = to the monkeys; jvalan yugaantaagniriva = like the blazing five at the end of the world.
Taking that mace, the enraged Matta, the foremost of demons, went quickly to the monkeys like the blazing fire at the end of the world.
अथ ऋषयःसमुत्पत्य वानरो रवण अनुजम् |
महा पार्श्वम् उपागम्य तस्थौ तस्य अग्रतो बली || ६-७०-५५
55. atha = then; balii = the strong; R^iShabhaH = Rishabha; vaanaraH = a monkey; utpatya = jumping up; tasthau = stood; agrataH = in front; tasya = of him; upaagamya = having approached; mattaaniikam = Mattanika; raavaNaanujam = the younger brother of Ravana.
Then, a strong monkey called Rishabha came jumping and stood in front of that Mattanika (Mahaparshva), the younger brother of Ravana.
तम् पुरस्तात् स्थितम् दृष्ट्वा वानरम् पर्वत उपमम् |
आजघान उरसि क्रुद्धो गदया वज्र कल्पया || ६-७०-५६
56. kruddhaH = enraged; dR^ishTvaa = in seeing; vaanaram = that R^ishabha; parvatopamam = looking like a mountain; sthtam = standing; purastaat = before him; ajaghaana = (Mahaparshva) struck; urasi = in his breast; gadayaa = with a mace; vajrakalpayaa = equaling a thunderbolt.
Enraged in seeing that Rishabha, looking like a mountain, standing before him, Mahaparshva struck him upon his breast with a mace equaling a thunderbolt.
स तया अभिहतस् तेन गदया वानर ऋषभः |
भिन्न वक्षाःसमाधूतःसुस्राव रुधिरम् बहु || ६-७०-५७
57. abhihataH = struck; tayaa gadayaa = by that mace; tena = by him; saH = that; vaanararShabhaH = Rishabha; the foremost of monkeys; bhinnavakShaaH = had his breast broken; samaadhuutaH = was trembled; susraava = and exuded; rudhiram = blood; bahu = profusely.
When he struck with his mace, the breast of that Rishabha the foremost of demons was broken. He then trembled and exuded blood profusely.
स सम्प्राप्य चिरात् सम्ज्नाम् ऋषभो वानर ऋषभः |
क्रुद्धो विस्फुरमाण ओष्ठो महा पार्श्वम् उदैक्षत || ६-७०-५८
58. saH R^iShabhaH = that Rishabha; vaanareshvaraH = the supreme monkey; praapya = regained; samjJNaam = his consciousness; chiraat = after a long while; kruddhaH = and enraged as he was; visphura maaNauShThaH = with his lips quivering; udaikShata = looked towards; mahaapaarshvam = Mahaparshva.
That Rishabha, the supreme monkey regained his consciousness after a long while and enraged as he was with his lips quivering, looked towards Mahaparshva.
स वेगवान् वेगवदभ्युपेत्य |
तं राक्षसम् वानरवीरमुख्य |
संवर्त्य मुष्टिम् सहसा जघान् |
बाह्वतरे शैलनिकाशरूपः || ६-७०-५९
59. vegavaan = that swift; vaanaraviira mukhyaH = Rishabha; the chief of monkey-warriors; shailanikaasharuupaH = with a mountain-like form; vegavat = speedily; abhyupetya = approaching; samvartya = and tightening; muShTim = his fist; jaghaana = struck; sahasaa = quickly; baahvantare = on the chest; tam raakShasam = of that demon.
That Rishabha, the supreme monkey regained his consciousness after a long while and enraged as he was with his lips quivering, looked towards Mahaparshva.
स कृत्तमूलः सहसेव वृषः |
क्षितौ पपात क्षतजोक्षिताङ्गह् |
ताम् चास्य घोराम् यमदण्डकल्पाम् |
गदां प्रगृह्याशु तदा ननाद || ६-७०-६०
60. kShatajokShitaaNgaH = with his body drenched in blood; saH = that Mahaparshva; papaata = fell; sahasaa = suddenly; kShitau = on the ground; vR^ikShaH iva = like a tree; kR^ittamuulaH = with its root cut off; tadaa = then; pragR^ihya = taking; aashu = quickly; asya taam gadaam = his mace; ghoraam yamadaN^Da kalpaan = which was looking like a terrific Yama's rod; nanaada = he roared loudly.
With his body drenched in blood, that Mahaparshva suddenly fell unconscious on the ground, like a tree with its root cut off. Then, taking quickly Mahaparshva's mace, which was looking like Yama's rod, he roared loudly.
मुहूर्तमासीत्स गतासुकल्पः |
प्रत्यागाअत्मा सहसा सुरारिः |
उत्पत्य संध्याभ्रसमानवर्ण |
स्तं वारिराजात्मजमाजघान || ६-७०-६१
61. saH = that Mahaparshva; aasiit = remained; gataasukalpaH = as though he was dead; muhuurtaH = for a while; utpatya = springing; sahasaa = suddenly; suraariH = that demon; samdhyaabhrasamaana varNaH = whose colour resembled an evening cloud; pratyaagataatmaa = after regaining his consciousness; aajaghaana = struck; tam = that; vaariraajaatmajam = Rishabha; the son of Varuna the lord of waters.
Mahaparshva remained as though he was dead for a while. Springing suddenly after regaining his consciousness, that demon, whose colour resembled his consciousness, that demon, whose colour resembled an evening cloud, struck that Rishabha, the son of Varuna the lord of waters.
स मूर्चितो भूमितले पपात |
मुहूर्तमुत्पत्य पुनः ससम्ज्ञः |
तामेव तस्याद्रिवराद्रिकल्पाम् |
गदाम् समाविध्य जघान सम्ख्ये || ६-७०-६२
62. saH = that Rishabha; papaata = fell; murchhitaH = unconscious; muhuurtam = for a while; bhuumitale = on the ground; utpatya = rising; sasamJNaH = after regaining consciouness; samaavidhya = and tightly holding; taam gadaameva = just that mace; tasya = of his; adrivaraadrikalpam = which was looking like a large mountain-peak; jaghaana = he banged (Mahaparshva); samkhye = in the battle.
That Rishabha fell unconscious for a while on the ground. Rising after regaining consciousness and tightly holding just the same mace, which was looking like a large mountain-peak, banged it on Mahapatra in the battle-field.
सा तस्य रौद्रा समुपेत्य देहम् |
रौद्रस्य देवाध्वरविप्रशत्रोः |
बिभेद वक्षः क्षतजम् च भूरि |
सुस्राव धात्वम्भ इवाद्रिराजः || ६-७०-६३
63. sau raudraa = that terrific mace; samupetya = reaching; deham = the body; tasya = of that Mahaparshva = roudrasya = the fierce demon; devaadhvaraviprashatro = the enemy of celestials; sacrifices and Brahmanas; bibheda = broke; vakShaH = his chest; susraava = (He) exuded; bhuuri kShatajam = copious blood; adriraajaH iva = like a supreme mountain; dhaatvambhaH = exuding; water full of minerals.
That terrific mace, reaching the body of Mahaparshva, the fierce demon, the enemy of celestials, sacrificial rites and Brahmanas, broke his chest. Mahaparshva started exuding copious blood, as a supreme mountain exudes water full of minerals.
अभिदुद्राव वेगेन गदां तस्य महात्मनः |
ताम् गृहीत्वा गदाम् भीमाम् आविध्य च पुनःपुनः || ६-७०-६४
मत्त अनीकम् महा पार्श्वम् जघान रण मूर्धनि |
64. mahaatmaa = the great-souled; saH = Rishabha; abhidudraava = quickly ran towards; gadaam = the mace; tasya mahaatmanaH = of that mighty Mahaparshva; gR^ihiivaa = seizing; taam bhiimaam gadaam = that dreadful mace; aavidhya = and striking on the floor; punaH punaH = againg and again; jaghaana = he struck; mattaniikam = Mattanika (Mahaparshva); raNamuurdhani = in the battle-front.
The great souled Rishabha quickly ran towards the mace of that mighty Mahaparshva. Seizing that dreadful mace and striking it repeatedly on the floor, he struck it on Mahaparshva in the battle-front.
स स्वया गदया भिन्नो विकीर्ण दशन ईक्षणः |
निपपात महा पार्श्वो वज्र आहत;इव अचलः || ६-७०-६५
65. bhagnaH = struck; svayaa gadayaa = by his own mace; saH mattaH = that Mahaparshva; vishiirNa dashanekShaNaH = with his teeth and eyes fallen out; nipapaata = fell down; achalaH iva = like a mountain; vajraahataH = struck by a thunderbolt.
Struck by his own mace, that Mahaparshva with his teeth and eyes fallen out, fell down like a mountain struck by a thunderbolt.
विदीर्णनयने भूमौ गतस्त्त्वे गतायुषि |
पतिते राक्षसे तस्मिन् विद्रुतं राक्षसम् बलम् || ६-७०-६६
66. tasmin raakShase = (When) that demon; gata sattve = depleted his strength; vidiirNanayane = with his eyes burst open; gataayuShi = his long life gone away; patite = and fallen; bhuumau = on the ground; raakShasam balam = the demoniac army; vidrudatam = ran away.
When that demon depleted his strength, burst open his eyes, with his long life gone away and fallen down on the ground, the army of demons ran away.
तस्मिन् हते भ्रातरि रावणस्य |
तन् नैरृतानाम् बलम् अर्णव आभम् |
त्यक्त आयुधम् केवल जीवित अर्थम् |
दुद्राव भिन्न अर्णव सम्निकाशम् || ६-७०-६७
67. tasmin = (When) that Mahaparshva; ravaNasya bhaatari = the brother of Ravana; hate = was killed; tat balam = that army; nairR^itaanaam = of demons; arNavaabham = which was as extensive as an ocean; tyaktaayudham = abandoning their weapons; dudraava = ran away; kevala jiivitaartham = just considered with their lives; bhinnaarNavasamnikaasham = like a sea which has burst its shores.
When that Mahaparshva was killed, that army of demons, which was as extensive as an ocean, abandoning their weapons in the battle-field, fled for mere lives, like a sea which has burst its shores.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे सप्ततितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© May, 2007, K.M.K.Murthy
Check here for
Secure FTPS (SSL) on the planet Go FTP FREE Software