Hearing the news of Kumbhakarna having been killed by Rama, Ravana laments in various ways, thinking that he has virtually lost his right arm. Ravana initially faints on hearing the shocking news. On regaining consciousness, Ravana again wonders how the invincible Kumbhakarna was slain in battle. He feels sorry for not having listened to the sagacious advice of Vibhishana in the past.
कुम्भकर्णम् हतम् दृष्ट्वा राघवेण महात्मना |
राक्षसा राक्षस इन्द्राय रावणाय न्यवेदयन् || ६-६८-१
1. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; kumbhakarNam = that Kumbhakarna; hatam = was killed; mahaatmanaa raaghaveNa = by the great souled Rama; raakSasaaH = the demons; nyavedayan = reported (the matter); raakSasendraaya raavaNaaya = to Ravana; the king of demons.
Seeing that the great-souled Rama killed Kumbhakarna, the demons reported the matter to Ravana, the king of demons (as follows):
राजन् स कालसंकाशः संयुक्तः कालकर्मणा |
विद्राव्य वानरीम् सेनाम् भक्षयित्वा च वानरान् || ६-६८-२
2. raajan = O king!; saH = that Kumbhakarna; kaalasamkaashaH = looking like Yama the god of death; vidraavya = driving away; senaam = the army; vaanariim = of monkeys; bhakSayitvaa = and devouring; vaanaraan = (some) monkeys; samyuktaH = met with; kaalakarMaNaa = death; the time's act.
"O king! That Kumbhakarna, looking like Yama the god of death, driving away the army of monkeys and devouring some monkeys, met with death, the time's act."
प्रतिपित्वा मुहूर्तं तु प्रशान्तो रामतेजसा |
कायेनार्धप्रविष्टेन समुद्रं भीमदर्शनम् || ६-६८-३
निकृत्तनासाकर्णेन विक्षरद्रुधिरेण च|
रुद्ध्वा द्वारं शरीरेण लङ्कायाः पर्वतोपमः || ६-६८-४
कुम्भकर्णस्तव भ्राता काकुत्थ्सशरपीडितः |
लगण्डभूतो विकृतो दावदग्ध इव द्रुमः || ६-६८-५
3; 4; 5. pratapitvaa = showing his prowess; muhuurtam = for a moment; kumbhakarNah = Kumbhakarna; tava = your; bhraataa = brother; prashaantaH = was extinguished; raama tejasaa = by the fiery energy of Rama; kaakutthsashara piiDitaH = Injured by Rama's arrows; parvatopamaH = Kumbhakarna who was looking like a mountain; vikR^itaH lagaN^DabhuutaH = became an ugly mass; shariireNa = with his body; vikSaradrudhireNa cha = discharging blood; nikR^itta naasakarNena = as the nose and ears were cut off; drumaH iva = resembling a tree; daavadagdaH = scorched by a forest-fire; kaayena = with his trunk; ardha praviSTena = half-submerged; bhiimadarshanam samudram = in a terribly looking sea; ruddhvaa = obstructing; laNkaayaaH dvaaram = the main gate of Lanka.
"Showing his prowess for a moment, Kumbhakarna your brother, was extinguished by the fiery energy of Rama. Injured by Rama's arrows, Kumbhakarna who was looking like a mountain became an ugly mass, with his body discharging blood, as his nose and ears were cut off, resembling a tree scorched by a forest-fire, with his trunk half-submerged in a terribly looking sea and obstructing the main gate of Lanka."
श्रुत्वा विनिहतम् सम्ख्ये कुम्भ कर्णम् महा बलम् |
रावणः शोक सम्तप्तो मुमोह च पपात च || ६-६८-६
6. shrutvaa = hearing; mahaabalam kumbhakarNam = (that) the mighty Kumbhakarna; vinihatam = was killed; samkhye = in battle; raavaNaH = Ravana; shoka samtaptaH = was tormented with grief; mumohacha = fainted; papaata cha = and fell too.
Hearing that the mighty Kumbhakarna was killed in battle, Ravana was tormented with grief and fell down, fainted.
पितृव्यम् निहतम् श्रुत्वा देव अन्तक नर अन्तकौ |
त्रिशिरासः च अतिकायसः च रुरुदुः शोक पीडिताः || ६-६८-७
7. shrutvaa = hearing; pitR^ivyam = (that) his paternal uncle; nihatam = was killed; devaantakanaraantakau = Devantaka; Narantaka; trishiraaH = Trishira; atikaayashcha = and Atikaya; shokapiiDitaaH = were afflicted with sorrow; ruruduH = and wept.
Hearing that his paternal uncle was killed; Devantaka, Narantaka, Trishira and Atikaya were afflicted with sorrow and wept.
भ्रातरम् निहतम् श्रुत्वा रामेण अक्लिष्ट कर्मणा |
महा उदर महा पार्श्वौ शोक आक्रान्तौ बभूवतुः || ६-६८-८
8. shrutvaa = hearing; bhraataran = that their brother; nihatam = was killed; raameNa = by Rama; akliSTakarmaNaa = who was unwary in his actions; mahodara mahaapaarshvo = Mahodara and Mahaparshva (step-brothers of Kumbhakarna); babhuuvatuH = became; shokaakraantau = were overcome with grief.
Hearing that Kumbhakarna, their brother was killed by Rama, who was unwary in his actions, Mahodara and Mahaparshva (step-brothers of Kumbhakarna) were overcome with grief.
ततः कृच्च्रात् समासाद्य सम्ज्ञाम् राक्षस पुम्गवः |
कुम्भ कर्ण वधाद् दीनो विललाप स रावणः || ६-६८-९
9. tataH = then; samaasaadya = recovering; samJNaam = his consciousness; kR^ichchhaat = with difficulty; diinaH = distressed; kumbhakarNa vadhaat = for the killing of Kumbhakarna; aakulendriyaH = and perplexed in mind; raakSasapuNgavaH = Ravana; the best of demons; vilalaapa = lamented.
Then, recovering his consciousness with difficulty, distressed as he was for the killing of Kumbhakarna and perplexed in mind, Ravana the foremost of demons, lamented (as follows):
हा वीर रिपु दर्पघ्न कुम्भ कर्ण महा बल |
शत्रु सैन्यम् प्रताप्य एकः क्व माम् सम्त्यज्य गच्चसि || ६-६८-१०
10. haa = alas!; viira = O hero; ripudarpaghna = destroying the pride of enemies!; mahaabala kumbhakarNa = O mighty Kumbhakarna! maam vihaaya = leaving me behind; tvam = you; yattaH asi = have gone; daivaat = by divine will; yama saadanam = to the abode of Yama the lord of death.
"Alas! O hero, destroying the pride of enemies! O mighty Kumbhakarna! Leaving me behind, you have gone by divine will to the abode of Yama the lord of death."
मम शल्यमनुद्धृत्य बान्धवानाम् महाबल |
शत्रुसैन्यम् प्रताप्यैकः क्व माम् सम्त्यज्य गच्छसि || ६-६८-११
11. mahaabala = O mighty Kumbhakarna!; kva = where; gachchhasi = are you going; maam samtyajya = leaving me behind; prataapya = after having tormented; shatru sainyam = the army of adversaries; anuddhR^itya = and without taking away; baandhavaanaam shalyam = the thorn of grief of relatives; mama = and of mine.
"O mighty Kumbhakarna! Where are you going alone, leaving me behind, after having tormented the army of enemies and without taking away the thorn of grief from relatives and me."
इदानीम् खल्व् अहम् न अस्मि यस्य मे पतितो भुजः |
दक्षिणो यम् समाश्रित्य न बिभेमि सुर असुरान् || ६-६८-१२
12. medakSiNaH bhujaH = my right hand; yam = which; samaashritya = by taking refuge; yasyame = by me; na bibhemi = I am not in fear; suraasuraat = of celestials and ogres; patitaH = has fallen down; aham = I as such; idaaniim = now; naasmikhalu = am not indeed there (living).
"Indeed I shall no longer live now, that this right hand of mine, taking refuge on when I had no fear of celestials and ogres, has fallen down."
कथम् एवम् विधो वीरो देव दानव दर्पहा |
काल अग्नि प्रतिमो हि अद्य राघवेण रणे हतः || ६-६८-१३
13. katham = how; evam vidhaH = such; viiraH = a hero; devadaanava darpahaa = who destroyed the pride of celestials and demons; kaalaagni pratimaH = as also who was an image of fire that was to destroy the world; hataH = was killed; raaghaveNa = by Rama; raNe = in battle; adya = today?
"How such a hero, who destroyed the pride of celestials and demons, as also who was an image of fire that was to destroy the world, was killed by Rama today in battle?"
यस्य ते वज्र निष्पेषो न कुर्याद् व्यसनम् सदा |
स कथम् राम बाण आर्तः प्रसुप्तो असि मही तले || ६-६८-१४
14. te = to you; yasya = to whom; vajraniSpeSaH = (even a) clash by a thunder-bolt; na kuryaat sadaa = could not ever cause; vyasanam = a fall; katham = how; saH = you as such; prasuptaH asi = could fall insensibly mahii tale = on the earth's surface; raama baaNaartaH = having been afflicted Rama's arrows?
"Having been afflicted by Rama's arrows, how are you, whom not even a clash of a thunder-bolt ever caused any fall, falling now insensibly on the earth's surface?"
एते देव गणाः सार्धम् ऋषिभिर् गगने स्थिताः |
निहतम् त्वाम् रणे दृष्ट्वा निनदन्ति प्रहर्षिताः || ६-६८-१५
15. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; tvaam = you; nihatam = killed; raNe = in battle; ete = these; devagaNaaH = troops of celestials; R^iSibhiH saardham = along with sages; sthitaaH = standing; gagane = in the sky; ninadanti = are shouting; praharSitaaH = rejoiced.
"Seeing you killed in battle, these troops of celestials and sages, standing in the sky, are shouting with rejoice."
ध्रुवम् अद्य एव सम्हृष्टा लब्ध लक्ष्याः प्लवम् गमाः |
आरोक्ष्यन्ति इह दुर्गाणि लन्का द्वाराणि सर्वशः || ६-६८-१६
16. dhruvam = It is certain (that); plavangamaaH = the monkeys; labdha lakSyaaH = having achieved their purpose; samhR^iSTaaH = will be rejoiced; adyaiva = and now itself; aarokSyanti = will ascend; durgaaNi = the inaccessible; laN^kaadvaaraaNi = door-ways of Lanka; iha = here; sarvashaH = from all sides.
"It is doubly sure that the monkeys, having achieved their purpose, will be rejoiced and now itself will ascend the inaccessible door-ways of Lanka here from all sides."
राज्येन न अस्ति मे कार्यम् किम् करिष्यामि सीतया |
कुम्भ कर्ण विहीनस्य जीविते न अस्ति मे रतिः || ६-६८-१७
17. me = to me; naasti = there is nothing; kaaryam = to be done; raajyena = with a kingdom; kim kariSyaami = what shall I do; siitaayaa = with Seetha?; me = to me; kumbhakarNa hiinasya = bereft of Kumbhakarna; naasti = there is no; matiH = intention; jiivite = to live.
"I have nothing to do with a kingdom and what shall I do with Seetha? I have no intention to live, bereft of Kumbhakarna."
यदि अहम् भ्रातृ हन्तारम् न हन्मि युधि राघवम् |
ननु मे मरणम् श्रेयो न च इदम् व्यर्थ जीवितम् || ६-६८-१८
18. aham = na hanmiyadi = If I cannot kill; raaghavam = Rama; bhraatR^ihantaaram = who killed my brother; yudhi = in battle; maraNam = death; shreyaH nanu = is indeed better; me = for me; idam = this; vyarthajiivitam = useless life; na = is not (preferable).
"If I cannot kill Rama, who killed my brother, in battle, I would indeed prefer death, but in no case this useless life which has no meaning."
अद्य एव तम् गमिष्यामि देशम् यत्र अनुजो मम |
न हि भ्रातृऋन् समुत्सृज्य क्षणम् जीवितुम् उत्सहे || ६-६८-१९
19. adyaiva = now itself; gamiSyaami = I will go; tam desham = to that place; yatra = where; mama anujaH = my younger brother is there; na utsache = I do not wish; jiivitum = to live; kSaNam = even for a moment; samutsR^ijya = leaving off; bhraatR^iin = my brothers.
"Now itself, I will go to that place, where my younger brother is there. I do not wish to live even for a moment, after abandoning my brothers."
देवा हि माम् हसिष्यन्ति दृष्ट्वा पूर्व अपकारिणम् |
कथम् इन्द्रम् जयिष्यामि कुम्भ कर्ण हते त्वयि || ६-६८-२०
20. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; maam = me; puurvaapakaariNam = who did harm to them in the past; devaaH = the celestials; hasiSyanti hi = will indeed mock me; kumbhakarNa = O Kumbhakarna!; tvayi hate = now that you are ded; katham = how; jayiSyaami = can I conquer; indram = Indra the lord of celestials?
"Seeing me, who did harm to them in the past, the celestials will indeed mock me. O Kumbhakarna! Now that you are dead, how can I conquer Indra the lord of celestials?"
तद् इदम् माम् अनुप्राप्तम् विभीषण वचः शुभम् |
यद् अज्ञानान् मया तस्य न गृहीतम् महात्मनः || ६-६८-२१
21. yat = which words; tasya mahaatmanaH = of that great souled Vibhishana; na gR^ihiitam = were not accepted; mayaa = by me; aJNaanaat = due to ignorance; tat = such; idam = of these; shubham = auspicious; vibhiiSaNavachaH = words of vibhishana; anupraaptam = have come up to; maam = me.
"Those words of that great-souled Vibhishana, which I did not accept due to ignorance, have come true."
विभीषण वचो यावत् कुम्भ कर्ण प्रहस्तयोः |
विनाशो अयम् समुत्पन्नो माम् व्रीडयति दारुणः || ६-६८-२२
22. yaavat = ever since; ayam = this; daaruNaH = cruel; vinashaH = end; kumbhakarNaprahastayoH = of Kumbhakarna and Prahasta; samutpannaH = happened; (from that time); vriiDayati = it is creating a shame; maam = to me.
"Ever since this cruel end of Kumbhakarna and Prahasta has happened, I am feeling shameful."
तस्य अयम् कर्मणः प्रातो विपाको मम शोकदः |
यन् मया धार्मिकः श्रीमान् स निरस्तो विभीषणः || ६-६८-२३
23. yat = since; saH shriimaan vibhiiSaNaH = that venerable Vibhishana; dhaarmikaH = the pious brother; nirastaH = was banished; mayaa = by me; ayam vipaakaH = this bitter fruit; tasya shokadaH karmaNaH = of that painful deed (of mine); praaptaH = has come; mama = to me.
"Since that venerable Vibhishana, my pious brother was banished by me, this bitter fruit of that painful deed has come to me."
इति बहु विधम् आकुल अन्तर् आत्मा |
कृपणम् अतीव विलप्य कुम्भ कर्णम् |
न्यपतद् अथ दश आननो भृश |
स्तमनुजम् इन्द्र रिपुम् हतम् विदित्वा || ६-६८-२४
24. iti = Having htus; vilapya = lamented; atiiva kR^ipaNam = very much piteously; bahuvidham = in various ways; viditvaa = on coming to know; kumbhakarNam = (that) Kumbhakarna; tam anujam = that younger brother; indraripum = the enemy of Indra; hatam = having been killed; dashaananaH = Ravana; the ten-headed demon; aakulaantaraatmaa = whose inner feelings were agitated; nyapatat.api = even sank down; bhR^ishaartaH = extremely disturbed.
Having thus lamented very much piteously in various ways on coming to know that Kumbhakarna, his younger brother and the enemy of Indra having been killed, Ravana the ten-headed demon, whose inner feelings were agitated, even sank down, extremely disturbed.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे अष्टषष्टितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© March 2007, K. M. K. Murthy
Check here for
Fastest SFTP (SSH) on the planet Go FTP FREE