Kumbhakarna enters the abode of Ravana and sees his worried brother sitting in Pushpaka, a self-moving aerial car. Kumbhakarna asks Ravana about the nature of work to be done by him and whether he has to kill anyone. Ravana replies that Rama has come with troops of monkeys including Sugreeva, after crossing the ocean by a bridge, to wage a battle Ravana requests Kumbhakarna to show his terrible prowess in killing all the adversaries in battle.
स तु राक्षसशार्दूलो निद्रामदसमाकुलः |
राजमार्गम् श्रिया जुष्टम् ययौ विपुलविक्रमः || ६-६२-१
1. saH = that; raakSasashaarduulaH = foremost among demons; vipula vikramaH = of extensive prowess; nidraamada samaakulaH = but filled with an intoxicating drowsiness; yayau = marched along; raajamaargam = the king's high way; shriyaajuSTam- full of royal dignity.
That Kumbhakarna of great prowess and the foremost, having full of intoxicating drowsiness, marched along the king's highway, full of royal dignity.
राक्षसानाम् सहस्रैश्च वृतः परमदुर्जयः |
गृहेभ्यः पुष्पवर्षेण कीर्यमाणस्तदा ययौ || ६-६२-२
2. tadaa = then; parama durjayaH = that Kumbhakarna; who was very difficult to be conquered; vR^itaH = surrounded; sahasraiH raakSasaanaam = by thousands of demons; yayau = marched ahead; kiiryamaaNaH puSpavarSeNa = strewn with a shower of flowers; gR^ihebhyaH = from houses (liming the way).
Then, that Kumbhakarna, who was very difficult to be conquered, accompanied by thousands of demons, sallied forth, covered with a shower of flowers from the houses (lining the way).
स हेमजालविततम् भानुभास्वरदर्शनम् |
ददर्श विपुलम् रम्यम् राक्षसेन्द्रनिवेशनम् || ६-६२-३
3. saH = he; dadarsha = saw; raakSasendra niveshanam = Ravana's abode; hema jaalavitatam = covered with golden grilled windows; vipulam = spacious; ramyam = beautiful; bhaanubhaasvara danshanam = with appearance of a shining sun.
He saw Ravana's abode, covered with golden grilled windows, spacious and looking beautiful, like a shining sun.
स तत्तदा सूर्य इवाभ्रजालम् |
प्रविश्य रक्षोधिपतेर्निवेशनम् |
ददर्श दूरेऽग्रजमासनस्थम् |
स्वयंभुवम् शक्र इवासनस्थम् || ६-६२-४
4. pravishya = entering; rakSodhi pateH niveshanam = Ravana's palace; suuryaH iva = like the sun (entering); abhrajaalam = a mass of clouds; saH = he; tadaa = then; dadarsha = saw; agrajam = his brother; aasanastham = sitting on a throne; duure = from a distance; shakraH iva = as Indra (saw); svayambhuvam = Brahma; aasanaastham = perched on his seat.
Entering Ravana's palace, like the sun entering a mass of clouds, Kumbhakarna then saw from of distance his brother seated on a throne, as Indra saw Brahma perched on his seat.
भ्रातुः स भवनं गच्छन् रक्षोगणसमन्वितः |
कुम्भकर्णः पदन्यासैरकम्पयत् मेदिनीम् || ६-६२-५
5. gachchhan = going; bhraatruh bhavanam = to his brother's palace; saH kumbhakarNaH = that Kumbhakarna; rakSogaNasamanvitaH = accompanied by troops of demons; mediniim akampayata = caused the earth of shake; padanyaasaiH = with his stamping strides.
While going to his brother's palace, that Kumbhakarna, accompanied by troops of demons, caused the earth to shake with his stamping strides.
सोऽभिगम्य गृहम् भ्रातुः कक्ष्यामभिविगाह्य च |
ददर्शोद्विग्नमासीनम् विमाने पुष्पके गुरुम् || ६-६२-६
6. abhigamya = reaching; bhraatuH gR^iham = his brother's house; abhivigaahyacha = and entering; kakSyaam = the inner apartment; saH = he; dadarsha = saw; udvignam gurum = his worried brother; aasiinam = sitting; puSpaka vimaane = in Pushapaka; a self-moving aerial car.
Reaching his brother's house and entering the inner apartment, Kumbhakarna saw his worried brother sitting in Pushpaka, a self-moving aerial car.
अथ दृष्ट्वा दशग्रीवः कुम्भकर्णमुपस्थितम् |
तूर्णमुत्थाय सम्हृष्टः सम्निकर्षमुपानयत् || ६-६२-७
7. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; kumbhakarNam = Kumbhakarna; upasthitam = who arrived; dashagriivaH = Ravana; atha = then; tuurNam = soon; utthaaya = rose up; samhR^iSTaH = delighted; upaanayat = and brought (him); samiikarSam = to his vicinity.
On seeing Kumbhakarna who arrived there, Ravana then quickly rose up from his seat, delighted and brought him nearer to his side.
अथासीनस्य पर्यङ्के कुम्भकर्णो महाबलः |
भ्रातुर्ववन्दे चरणौ किम् कृत्यमिति चाब्रवीत् || ६-६२-८
8. atha = then; mahaabalaH = the mighty; kumbhakarNaH = Kumbhakarna; vavan de = offered salutation; charaNau = to the feet; bhraatuH = of his brother; aasiinasya = sitting; paryaNke = on a sofa; abraviit = and spoke; iti cha = saying; kim kR^ityan = "What is the work?"
Then, the mighty Kumbhakarna having offered salutation to the feet of his brother sitting on a sofa, asked him, "What is to be done?"
उत्पत्य चैनम् मुदितो रावणः परिषस्वजे |
स भ्रात्रा सम्परिष्वक्तो यथावच्छाभिनन्दितः || ६-६२-९
कुम्भकर्णः शुभं दिव्यम् प्रतिपेदे वरासनम् |
9. raavanaH = Ravana; utpatya = rising up (from his seat); pariSasvaje = embraced; enam = him; saH kimbhakarNaH = that Kumbhakarna; yathaavat pariSvaktaH = who was duly embraced; abhinanditaH = and made happy; bhraataa = by his brother; pratipede = reached; shubham = an auspicious; divyam = charming; varaaasanam = and excellent seat.
Rising up from his seat, Ravana embraced him. That Kumbhakarna, who was thus embraced and made happy by his brother, occupied an auspicious, charming and excellent seat.
स तदासनमाश्रित्य कुम्भकर्णो महाबलः || ६-६२-१०
सम्रक्तनयनः क्रोधाद्रवणम् वाक्यमब्रवीत् |
10. aashritya = resting on; tat = that; aasanam = seat; saH = that; mahaabalaH = mighty; kumbhakarNaH = Kumbhakarna; samrakta nayanaH = with blood-shot eyes; krodhaat = in anger; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = (the folowoing0 words; raavaNam = to Ravana.
Resting on that seat, the mighty Kumbhakarna, with his blood-shot eyes in anger, spoke to Ravana as follows:
किम्मर्थमहमादृत्य त्वया राजन् प्रबोधितः || ६-६२-११
शस कस्माद्भयम् तेऽत्र को वा प्रेतो भविष्यति |
11. raajan = O king!; kimartham = for what purpose; aham = I; prabodhitaH = have been woken up; tvayaa = by you; aadR^itya = with effort?; shamsa = tell me; kasmaat = from whom; bhayam = is the danger; te = for you; atra = here?; kovaa = or who; bhaviSyati = will be; pretaH = a dead person?
"O king! For what purpose have I been woken up by you, with effort? Tell me from whom is the danger for you here and who is to be killed."
भ्रातरम् रावणः क्रुद्धं कुम्भकर्णमवस्थितम् || ६-६२-१२
रोषेण परिवृत्ताभ्याम् नेत्राभ्याम् वाक्यमब्रवीत् |
12. raavaNaH = Ravana; netraabhyaam = with his eyes; pari vR^ittabhyaam = rolling; roSeNa = with annoyance; abraviit = spoke; kumbhakarNam = to Kumbhakarna; bhraataram = his brother; avasthitam = who was there; kruddham = with anger.
Ravana, with his eyes rolling with annoyance, spoke to Kumbhakarna, his brother, who was there with anger (as follows):
अयम् ते सुमहन् कालः शयानस्य महाबल || ६-६२-१३
सुषुप्तस्त्वम् न जानीषे मम रामकृतम् भयम् |
13. mahaabala = O mighty Kumbhakarna!; te = for you; shayaanasya = who have slept; ayam = this; sumahaan kaalaH = is a very long time; tvam = you; suSuptaH = who were fast asleep; na jaaniiSe = do not know; bhayam = about the fear; raama kR^itam = created by Rama; mama = in me.
"O mighty Kumbhakarna! You slept for a long period. You, who were fast asleep, do not know about the fear created by Rama in me."
एष दाशरथी रामः सुग्रीवसहितो बली || ६-६२-१४
समुद्रम् लङ्घयित्वा तु कुलम् नः परिकृन्तति |
14. eSaH = this; raamaH = Rama; daasharathiH = the son of Dasaratha; balii = a strong man; sugriiva sahitaH = along with Sugreeva; laN^ghayitvaa = after crossing; samudram = the ocean; parikR^intati = is cutting short; naH kulam = our race.
"This Rama, the son of Dasaratha, a strong man along with Sugreeva, having crossed the ocean, is cutting short our race."
हन्त पश्यस्व लङ्कया वनान्युपवनानि च || ६-६२-१५
सेतुना सुखमागत्य वानरैकार्णवम् कृतम् |
15. hanta = Alas!; pashyasva = see!; aagatya = coming; sukham = happily; setunaa = by a bridge; vanaani = the forests; upavanaanicha = and groves; kR^itam = have been covered; vaanaraikaarNavam = an ocean of monkeys.
"Alas! See! Coming happily by a bridge, the forests and groves have been covered with an ocean full of monkeys."
ये राक्षसा मुख्यतमा हतास्ते वानरैर्युधि || ६-६२-१६
वानराणाम् क्षयम् युधे न पश्यामि कथंचन |
न चापि वानरा युद्धे जितपूर्वाः कदाचन || ६-६२-१७
16; 17. te = they; ye = who were; mukhyatamaaH raakSasaaH = very important demons; hataah = were killed; vaanaraiH = by the monkeys; yudhi = in battle; na pashyaami = I do not envisage; kSayam = annihilation; kathamchana = in any way; vaanaraaNaam = of monkeys; yuddhe = in battle; vaanaraaH = the monkeys; na chaapi jita puurvaaaH = were not even defeated before; kadaachana = at any time; yuddhe = in combat.
"The monkeys killed very important demons in battle. I do not envisage, in any way, the destroyable of monkeys on the battle-field. It seems the monkeys were not even defeated at any time before, in a combat."
तदेतद्भयमुत्पन्नम् त्रायस्वेह महाबल |
नाशय त्वमिमानद्य तदर्थम् बोधितो भवान् || ६-६२-१८
18. mahaabala = O mighty Kumbhakarna!; tat = such; etat = of this danger; utpannam = has arisen; traayasva = you have to help (us); iha = now; imaam naashaya = get them destroyed; adya = now; bhavaan = you; boditaH = have been woken up; tadartham = for that purpose.
"O mighty Kumbhakarna! Such a danger has arisen. You have to help us now. Get them destroyed now. You have been woken up solely for that purpose."
सर्वक्षपितकोशम् च स त्वमभ्युपपद्य माम् |
त्रायस्वेमाम् पुरीम् लङ्काम् बालवृद्धावशेषिताम् || ६-६२-१९
19. sah tvam = you; as such; abhyupadya = rescuing; maam = me; sarvakSapita kosham = whose treasury has become completely diminished; traayasva = protect; imaam = this; laN^kaam puriim = City of Lanka; baala vR^iddhaavasheSitaam = where the children and the aged only are left over.
"Rescuing me, whose treasury has become completely diminished, you protect this city of Lanka, where only the children and the aged are left over."
भ्रातुरर्थे महाबाहो कुरु कर्म सुदुष्करम् |
मयैवम् नोक्तपुर्वो हि कश्चिद्भ्रातः परम्तप || ६-६२-२०
20. mahaabaaho = O; the great armed Kumbhakarna!; kuru = perform; karma = the act; suduSkaram = which is very difficult to do; bhraatuH arthe = for the sake of this brother; bhraataH = O brother; paramtapa = the annihilator of enemies!; na uktapuurvaH hi = It was not indeed requested before; evam = thus; kashchit = with any one; mayaa = by me.
"O the great armed Kumbhakarna. For the sake of your brother, perform this act, which is very difficult to do. O brother, the annihilator of enemies! In this way, I did not request anyone ever before."
त्वय्यस्ति मम च स्नेहः परा सम्भावना च मे |
दैवासुरेषु युद्धेषु बहुशो राक्षसर्षभ || ६-६२-२१
त्वया देवाः प्रतिव्यूह्य निर्जिताश्चासुरा युधि |
21. mama = to me; asti = there is; snehaH = affection; tvayi = towards you; me = to me; (there is); paraa = a high; sambhaavanaacha = respect too; raakSasarSabha = O the foremost of demons!; bahushaH = for several times; prativyuuhya = attacking; devaah = the celestials; asuraaH = and demons; daivaasureSu yuddheSu = in battles between celestials and demons; nirjitaaH = (they) were defeated; tvayaa = by you; yudhi = in battle.
"I have a great respect and affection towards you. O the foremost of demons! For several times, in battles between gods and demons, you conquered the celestials and demons, after attacking them in the battle."
तदेतत्सर्वमातिष्ठ वीर्यम् भीमपराक्रम् || ६-६२-२२
न हि ते सर्वभूतेषु दृश्यते सदृशो बली |
22. bhiima paraakrama = O Kumbhakarna of terrible prowess!; tat = therefore; aatiSTha = show your superiority; etat = from this; sarvam = entire; viiryam = vigour; na balii dR^ishyate hi = no strong person is indeed seen; sadR^ishaH = who is equal; te = to you; sarva bhuuteSu = in all beings.
"O Kumbhakarna of terrible prowess! Therefore, show your entire prowess. There is indeed no one, in the entire beings, who is equal to you in strength."
कुरुष्व मे प्रियहितमेतदुत्तमम् |
यथाप्रियम् प्रियरण बान्धवप्रिय |
स्वतेजसा विधम सपत्नवाहिनीम् |
शरद्घनम् पवन इवोद्यतो महान् || ६-६२-२३
23. priyaraNa = O Kumbhakarna; delighting in war; baandhava piya = and feeling affection for relatives!; kuruSva = perform; uttamam etat = this excellent act; priyahitam = which is dear and beneficial; me = to me; yathaapriyam = as per you wish; vidhama = blow away; sapatnavaahiniim = the army of adversaries; svatejasaa = by your vital power; sharadghanam iva = as an autumnal cloud (is blown away); mahaan udyataH pavanaH = by a high-rising wind.
"O Kumbhakarna, delighting in war and feeling affection for relatives! Perform this excellent act, which is dear and beneficial to me, as per your liking. Blow away the army of adversaries by your vital power, as an autumnal cloud is blown away by a high-rising wind."
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे द्विषष्टितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© September 2006, K. M. K. Murthy