Ravana returns to Lanka and asks some demons to go to the abode of sleeping Kumbhakarna, to wake him up and request him to come to him. The slumbering Kumbhakarna is roused by the demons under orders of their king. Kumbhakarna, giant in form, sets out on the high way to see Ravana and the monkeys get alarmed to see the giant demon.
स प्रविश्य पुरीम् लङ्काम् रामबाणभयार्दितः |
भग्नदर्पस्तदा राजा बभूव व्यथितेन्द्रियः || ६-६०-१
1. tadaa = then; saH = that; raajaa = King of Demons; pravishya = after entering; laN^kaam puriim = the city of Lanka; raama baaNabhayaarditaH = afflicted with the fear of Rama's arrows; bhagnadarpaH = his pride humbled; babhuuva = became; vyathi tendriyaH = troubled in his senses.
Returning to the City of Lanka, Ravana the King of Demons was afflicted with the fear of Rama's arrows, his pride was humbled and his senses troubled.
मातङ्ग इव सिम्हेन गरुडेनेव पन्नगः |
अभिभूतोऽभवद्राजा राघवेण महात्मना || ६-६०-२
2. raajaa = that King; abhavat = was; abhibhuutaH = overcome; mahaatmanaa = by the high-souled; raaghaveNa = Rama; maataN^gaH iva = like an elephant; simhena = by a lion; pannagaH iva = or like a serpent; garuDena = by an eagle.
The king was overcome by the high-souled Rama, like an elephant is by a lion or a serpent by an eagle.
ब्रह्मदण्डप्रतीकानाम् विद्युच्चलितवर्चसाम् |
स्मतन् राघवबाणानाम् विव्यथे राक्षसेश्वरः || ६-६०-३
3. raakSaseshvaraH = the lord of Demons; vivyathe = was maddened; smaran = in recollecting; raaghava baaNaanaam = Rama's arrows; brahma daN^Dapratiikaanaam = resembling the Rod of Brahma the Lord of creation; vidyuchchalita varchasaam = and possessed of the splendour of lightning.
The Lord of Demons was maddened in recollecting Rama's arrows resembling the Rod of Brahma the Lord of creation and possessed of the splendour of lightning.
स काञ्चनमयम् दिव्यमाश्रित्य परमासनम् |
विप्रेक्षमाणो रक्षांसि रावणो वाक्यमब्रवीत् || ६-६०-४
4. aashritya = resting on; paramaasanam = an excellen throne; kaaN^chanamayan = made of gold; divyam = and charming; raavaNaH = Ravana; viprekSamaaNaH = looking; rakSaamsi = at the demons; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = (the following) words.
Resting on an excellent and charming throne made of gold, Ravana looked at the demons and spoke the following words:
सर्वम् तत्खलु मे मोघम् यत्तप्तम् परमम् तपः |
यत्समानो महेन्द्रेण मानुषेण विनिर्जितः || ६-६०-५
5. tat sarvam = all that; paramam = great; tapaH = penance; yat = which; taptam = was performed; me = by me; mogham khalu = was indeed in vain; yat = for; mahendreNa samaanaH = I who am equal to Mahendra the Lord of celestials; vinirjitaH = have been defeated; maanuSeNa = by a mere man!.
"All that great penance performed by me became a waste indeed, for, I who am equal to Mahendra the Lord of Celestials have been defeated by a mere man!"
इदम् तद्ब्रह्मणो घोरम् वाक्यम् मामभ्युपस्थितम् |
मानुषेभ्यो विजानीहि भयम् त्वमिति तत्तथा || ६-६०-६
6. idam = these; ghoram = terrible; vaakyam = words; brahmaNaH = of Brahma the Lord of creation; iti = saying that; tvam = you; vijaaniihi = know; bhayam = of the threat; maanuSebhyaH = from men; upasthitam = appear (true); maam = to me; tat = that ; tathaa = is so.
"The terrible words of Brahma the Lord of Creation saying, 'You know of the threat from men' appear true. That is so."
अवध्यत्वम् मया प्राप्तम् मानुषेभ्यो न याचितम् || ६-६०-७
7. praaptam = (The boon) was obtained; mayaa = by me; avadhyatvam = for not to be slain; devadaanava gandharvaiH = by celestials; titans or celestials musicians; yakSaraaSasa pannagaiH = or sam-divine beings or demons or serpent-demons; nayaachitam = but not asked; maanuSebhyaH = from men.
"I sought immunity from death at the hands of celestials, titans or celestials musicians, or semi divine beings or demons or serpent-demons, but f man I made no mention."
विदितम् मानुषम् मन्ये रामं दशरथात्मजम् |
इक्ष्वाकुकुलजातेन अनर्ण्येन यत् पुरा || ६-६०-८
उत्पत्स्यति हि मद्वंशे पुरुषो राक्षसाधम |
यस्त्वाम् सपुत्रम् सामात्यम् सबलम् साश्वसारथिम् || ६-६०-९
निहनिष्यति सम्ग्रामे त्वाम् कुलाधम दुर्मते |
8; 9. raamam = Rama; dasharathaatmajam = the son of Dasaratha; maanuSam = is the man; manyee = I think; yat = of whom; puraa = formerly; anaraNyena = Anaranya; ikSvaakukula jaatena = born of Ikshvaku dynasty; viditam = made me to understand; (staying); raakSasaadhama = O; the worst of demons; kulaadhama = and worst of your race!; durmate = O; the wretched one! madvamshe = In my race; utpatsyatihi = will be born; puruSaH = a man; yaH = who; nihaniSyati = will slay; tvaam = you; samgraame = in battle; saputram = with your sons; saamaatyam = ministers; sabalam = army; saashvasaarathim = horses and charioteer.
"Rama the son of Dasaratha is the man I think of whom Anaranya born of Ikshvaku dynasty formerly spoke, saying: 'O, the worst of demons, the worst of your race and the wretched one! In my race will be born a man who will slay you in battle with your sons, ministers, army, horses and charioteer."
शप्तोऽहम् वेदवत्या च यदा सा धर्षिता पुरा || ६-६०-१०
सेयम् सीता महाभागा जाता जनकनन्दिनी |
10. aham = I; shaptaH = was cursed; vedavatyaa = by Vedavati; yadaa = when; saa = she; dharSitaa = was humiliated; puraa = before; saa = that; iyam = same Vedavati; jaataa = is born; siitaa = as Seetha; mahaabhaagaa = the highly fortunate one; janakanandinii = and the daughter of Janaka.
"Further, I was formerly cursed by Vedavati when she was humiliated by me. The same Vedavati is born as the highly fortunate Seetha the daughter of Janaka."
उमा नन्दीश्वरश्चापि रम्भा वरुणकन्यका || ६-६०-११
यथोक्तास्तन्मया प्राप्तम् न मिध्या ऋषिभाषितम् |
11. yathaa = how; umaa = parvati the consort of Shiva; nandiishvarashchaapi = lord Nandi the attendant of Shiva; rambhaa = Rambha wife of Nala-Kubara; varuNakanyakaa = Varuna's daughter; uktaaH = told; tat = that; praaptam = has been obtained; mayaa = by me; R^iSibhaaSitam = the words uttered by sages; na = are not; mithyam = untrue.
"What was predicted by Parvati the consort of Shiva, Nandishvara the attendant of Shiva, Rambha the wife of Nalakubara and Punjikasthala the daughter of Varunda has come to pass! The words of the sages never prove false."
एतदेवाभ्युपागम्य यत्नम् कर्तुमहार्हथ || ६-६०-१२
राक्षसाश्चापि तिष्ठन्तु चर्यागोपुरमूर्धसु |
12. etat eva = on account of all this; abhyupaagamya = and admitting it; arhathaa = effort; iha = in this matter; raakSasaashchaapi = (Let) the demons; tiSThantu = be stationed; charyaagopura muurdhasu = on the summit of Charya Mountian.
"On account of all this and admitting it, you should exert yourselves to the uttermost. Let the demons go to the summit of Charya Mountain."
स चाप्रतिमगाम्भीर्यो देवदानवदर्पहा || ६-६०-१३
ब्रह्मशापाभिभूतस्तु कुम्भकर्णो विबोध्यताम् |
13. vibodhyataam = Awaken; saH = that; kumbhakarNaH = Kumbhakarna; apratimagaambhiiryaH = who is without equal in prowess; devadaanava darpahaa = who humbles the pride of the celestials and demons; brahma shaapaabhibhuutaH = and on whom the curse of Brahma the Lord of Creation rests.
"Awaken that kumbhakarna, who is without equal in prowess, who humbles the pride of the celestials and demons, and on whom the curse of Brahma the Lord of creation rests."
समरे जितमात्मानम् प्रहस्तम् च निषूदितम् || ६-६०-१४
ज्ञात्वा रक्षोबलम् भीममादिदेश महाबलः |
14. jJNaatvaa = having known (that); prahastam = Prahasta; niSuuditam = being slain; saH = and that king; mahaabalaH = the mighty one; aatmaanam = himself; jitam = being defeated; samare = in battle; (that king); aadidesha = issued his commands; bhiimam = to the dreadful; balam = army (saying)
Having known that Prahasta being slain and knowing himself to have been defeated in the battle, Ravana issued his commands tot he dreadful army, saying:
द्वारेषु यत्नः क्रियताम् प्राकारश्चाधिरुह्यताम् || ६-६०-१५
निद्रावशसमाविष्टः कुम्भकर्णो विबोध्यताम् |
15. kriyataam = guard; dvaareSu = the gates; yatnaH = with care; adhiruhyataam = and ascend; praakaarashcha = the ramparts; vibodhyataam = rouse; kumbhakarNaH = Kumbhakarna; nidraavasha samaaviSTaH = who is slumbering soundly.
"Guard the gates with utmost care. Man the ramparts. Rouse Kumbhakarna who is slumbering soundly."
सुखम् स्वपिति निश्चिन्तः कालोपहतचेतनः || ६-६०-१६
नव सप्त दशाष्टौ च मासान् स्वपिति राक्षसः |
16. raakSasaH = Kumbhakarna; svapiti = is sleeping; sukham = happily; kaalopahata chetanaH = his understannding vitiated by lust; nishchintaH = free from all anxieties; (the demons sleeps); nava = for mine; sapta = seven; dasha = ten; aSTaucha = or eight; maasaan = months.
"Kumbhakarna is sleeping happily, his understanding vitiated by lust and free from all anxieties. The demon sleeps for nine, seven, ten or eight months.
मन्त्रम् कृत्वा प्रसुप्तोऽयमिअस्तु नवमेऽहनि || ६-६०-१७
तम् तु बोधयत क्षिप्रम् कुम्भकर्णम् महाबलम् |
17. kR^itvaa = having me; mantram = in consultation (with me); navame = on the nineth; ahani = day; itam = before; ayam = he; prasuptaH = has since fallen asleep; bodhayata = Awaken; kshiipram = quickly; tam = that; mahaabalam = mighty; kumbhakarNam = Kumbhakarna.
"Having deliberated with me nine days ago, he has since fallen asleep. Awaken quickly that mighty Kumbhakarna."
स हि सम्ख्ये महाबाहुः ककुदम् सर्वरक्षसाम् || ६-६०-१८
वानरान् राजपुत्रौ च क्षिप्रमेव हनिष्यति |
18. saH = Kumbhakarna; kakudam = the foremost; sarvaraakSasaam = of all demons; mahaabaahuH = and the mighty armed; haniSyati = will kill kSiprameva = quickly; vaanaraan = the monkeys; raajaputraucha = and the princes; samkhye = in the battle.
"The mighty armed Kumbhakarna, the foremost of all demons will kill the monkeys and the two princes at once in the battle."
एष केतुः परं सम्ख्ये मुख्ये वै सर्वरक्षसाम् || ६-६०-१९
कुम्भकर्णः सदा शेते मूढो ग्राम्यसुखे रतः |
19. eSaH kumbhakarNaH = this Kumbhakarna; mukhyaH = the chief; sarva rakSasaam = among all the demons; param = a great; ketuH = mark; samkhye = in the battle; sadaa = is always; shete = sleeping; muuDhaaH = a stupid; rataH = being fond; graamya sukhe = of a rustic comfort.
"This Kumbhakarna, the chief among all the demons and a great mark in the battle, being fond of a rustic comfort, is always sleeping stupidly."
रामेणाभिनिरस्तस्य सम्ग्रामेऽस्मिन् सुदारुणे || ६-६०-२०
भविष्यति न मे शोकः कुम्भकर्णे विबोधिते |
20. kumbhakarNe = (If) Kumbhakarna; vibodhite = is awaken; na bhaviSyati = there will be no; shokaH = grief; me = for me; abhinirastasya = who has been defeated; raameNa = by Rama; asmin = in this; sudaaruNe = highly terrific; samgraame = battle.
"If Kumbhakarna is awaken, there will be no worry for me, who stand defeated by Rama in this highly terrific battle."
किम् करिष्याम्यहम् तेन शक्रतुल्यबलेन हि || ६-६०-२१
ईदृशे व्यसने घोरे यो न साह्याय कल्पते |
21. kim = what; aham kariSyaami = will I do; tena = with him; yaH = who; shakratulya = Lord of Celestials; na kalpate = cannot; saahaayya = help; iidR^ishe = in such; ghore = a dreadful; vyasane = calamity?
"What is the use of him, who possessing a strength equal to that of Indra the Lord of celestials, cannot help me in such a dreadful catastrophe?"
ते तु तद्वचनम् श्रुत्वा राक्षसेन्द्रस्य राक्षसाः || ६-६०-२२
जग्मुः परमसम्भ्रान्ताः कुम्भकर्णनिवेशनम् |
22. shrutvaa = hearing; tat vaakyam = those words; raakSasendrasya = of Ravana the Lord of Demons; te = those; raakSasaaH = demons; parama sambhraantaaH = very briskly; jagmuH = went; kumbhakarNa niveshanam = to the abode of Kumbhakarna.
Hearing those words of Ravana, those demons very briskly went to the abode of Kumbhakarna.
ताम् प्रविश्य महाद्वाराम् सर्वतो योजनायताम् || ६-६०-२३
कुम्भक्र्णगुहाम् रम्याम् पुष्पगन्धप्रवाहिनीम् |
कुम्भकर्णस्य निःश्वासादवधूता महाबलाः || ६-६०-२४
प्रतिष्ठमानाः कृच्छ्रेण यत्ना त्प्रविविशुर्गुहाम् |
23; 24. pravishya = entering; ramyaam = the beautiful; kumbhakarNaguhaam = cave of Kumbhakarna; mahaadvaaraam = with a large door; yoganaayataam = having an area of Yojana (About 9 miles x 9 miles); sarvato = on all sides; puSpagandhapravaahiniim = bearing a floral perfume; avadhuutaaH = (thought) shaken off; kumbhakarNasya = by Kumbakarna's; niHshvaasaat = breaths; mahaabalaaH = the demons; of mighty strength; yatnaat = with exertion; pratiSThamaanaaH = remained stable; kR^ichchhreNa = with difficulty; pravivishuH = went into; guhaam = the cave.
Entering the beautiful cave of Kumbhakarna, with a large door, having an area of a Yojana on all sides and bearing a floral perfume, the demons of mighty strength, though shaken off by Kumbhakarna's breaths, remained stable forcefully with difficulty and went into the cave.
ताम् प्रविश्य गुहाम् रम्याम् रत्नकाञ्चनकुट्टिमाम् || ६-६०-२५
ददृशुर्नैरृतव्याघ्राः शयानम् भीमविक्रमम् |
25. pravishya = entering; taam = that; ramyaam = beautiful; guhaam = cave; ratna kaaNchana kuTTimaam = inlaid with diamonds and gold; nairR^ita ryaaghraaH = those tigers among demons; dadR^ishuH = saw; bhiimavikramam = Kumbhakarna of terrific prowess; shayanaam = who was sleeping.
Entering that beautiful cave inlaid with diamonds and gold, those tigers among demons beheld Kumbhakarna, of terrific prowess, who was sleeping.
ते तु तम् विकृतम् सुप्तम् विकीर्णमिव पर्वतम् || ६-६०-२६
कुम्भम् महानिद्रम् समेताः प्रत्यबोधयन् |
26. te = they; sametaaH = together; pratyabodhayam = tried to awaken; kumbhakarNam = Kumbhakarna; suptam = who was sleeping; vikR^itam = nastily; vikiirNam parvatam ive = like a spread-out mountain; mahaanidram = in a great slumber.
They together tried to awaken Kumbhakarna who was sleeping nastily like a spread-out mountain in a great slumber.
ऊर्ध्वलोमाञ्चिततनुम् श्वसन्तमिव पन्नगम् || ६-६०-२७
भ्रामयन्तम् विनिःश्वासैः शयानम् भीमविक्रमम् |
भीमनासापुटम् तम् तु पातालविपुलाननम् || ६-६०-२८
शयने न्यस्तसर्वाङ्गम् मेदोरुधिरगन्धिनम् |
काञ्चनाङ्गदनद्धाङ्गम् मेदोरुधिरगन्धिनम् || ६-६०-२९
ददृशुर्नैरृतव्याघ्रम् कुम्भकर्णमरिन्दमम् |
27; 28; 29. uurdhva lomaaNchita tanum = his limbs covered with down which stood on end; shvasantam = breathing; pannagamiva = like a serpent; shayaanam = as he slept; bhiimavikramam = shayaanam = as he slept; bhiimavikramam = Kumbhakarna of irresistible valour; bhraamayantam = brandishing; viniHshvaasaiH = dreadful snores; bhiimanaasaapuTam = his nostrils being horrible; paataala vipulaananam = and his mouth a gaping hell; nyasta sarvaaNgam = stretched to his full length of body; shayane = while lying down; medorudhiragandhinam = giving forth an odour of marrow and blood; kaaN^chanaaNga danaddhaaN^gam = his limbs adorned with goldedn armlets; kiriiTena = wearing a diadem; arkavarchasam = as bright as the sun; tam kumbhakarNam = that Kumbhakarna; nairR^ita vyaaghram = the lion among demons; arindanam = and the slayer of his foes; dadR^ishuH = (they) saw.
His limbs covered with down which stood on end, breathing like a serpent, as he slept, Kumbhakarna of irresistible valour emitted dreadful snores, his nostrils being horrible, and his mouth a gaping hell. Stretched to his full length on the earth, he gave forth an odour of marrow and blood, his limbs were adorned with golden armlets and he wore a diadem as bright as the sun, thus did that lion among demons, Kumbhakarna, the slayer of his foes, appear!
ततश्चक्रुर्महात्मानः कुम्भकर्णस्य चाग्रातः || ६-६०-३०
भूतानाम् मेरुसम्काशम् राशिम् परमतर्पणम् |
30. tataH = then; mahaatmaanaH = those powerful demons; parama taraNam = in order to satisfy him excellently; chakruH = made; raashim = a heap; bhuutaanaam = of (hunted) being; merusamkaasham = as high as mount Meru agrataH = in front; kumbhakarNasya = of Kumbhakarna.
Then, those powerful demons, in order to satisfy him, placed a heap of venison as high as Mount Meru, in front of Kumbhakarna.
मृगाणाम् महिषाणाम् च वराहाणाम् च संचयान् || ६-६०-३१
चक्रुर्नैरृतशार्दूला राशिमन्नस्य चाद्भुतम् |
31. nairR^itashaarduulaaH = those lions among demons; chakruH = made; samahayaan = a great mass; adbhutam annam = of wonderful food; mR^igaaNaam = with deers; mahiSaaNaam cha = buffaloes; varaahaNaam cha = and pigs.
Those excellent demons piled up a great mass of wonderful food with the meat of deers, buffaloes and pigs.
ततः शोणितकुम्भांश्च मांसानि विविधानि च || ६-६०-३२
पुरस्तात्कुम्भकर्णस्य चक्रुस्त्रिदशशत्रवः |
32. tataH = then; tridasha shatravaH = the demons; chakruH = made; shoNita kumbhaashcha = pots of blood; vividhaani = various kinds; maamsaani = of meats; purastaat = in front; kumbhakarNasya = of Kumbhakarna.
Then, the demons placed pots of blood and various kinds of meat in front of Kumbhakarna.
लिलिपुश्च परार्ध्येन चन्दनेन परम्तपम् || ६-६०-३३
दिव्यैराश्वासयामासुर्माल्यैर्गन्धैश्च गन्धिभिः |
33. lilipuH = (They) rubbed; paramtapam = that scourge of his foes; paraardhyena = with the most rare; chandanena = sandalwood; aashvaasa yaamaasuH = and refreshed him; divyaiH = with celestials; gandhibhiH = and fragrant; maalyaiH = garlands; gandhaiH cha = and sweet-smelling perfumes.
They rubbed Kumbhakarna the scourge of his foes with the most rare sandalwood and refreshed him with celestial and fragrant garlands as well as sweet-smelling perfumes.
धूपगन्धांश्च ससृजुस्तुष्टुवुश्च परम्तपम् || ६-६०-३४
जलदा इव चानेदुर्यातुधानास्ततस्ततः |
34. yaatudhaanaaH = the demons; sasR^ijuH = created; dhuupagandhaan cha = the burnt incense; tuSTuvushcha = and hymned the praises; paramtapam = of that warrior who proved fatal to his foes; aaneduH cha = (they) cried out noises; (which burst forth); tatastataH = on every side; jaladaaH iva = like thunder of clouds.
They burnt incenses and hymned the praises of that warrior who proved fatal to his foes. They cried out noises which burst forth on every side like thunder.
शङ्खांश्च पूरयामासुः शशाङ्कसदृशप्रभान् || ६-६०-३५
तुमुलम् युगपच्चापि विनेदुश्चाप्यमर्षिताः |
35. puurayaamaasuH = (They) blew; shaN^khaan = couches; shashaaN^ka sadR^isha prabhaan = as bright as the moon; amarSitaaH = and with impatience; vineduH cha api = made sounds; tumulam = tumultuously; yugapat = all at once.
They blew couches which were as bright as the moon and with impatience, made with impatience, made sounds tumultuously all at once.
नेदुरास्फोटयामासुश्चिक्षिपुस्ते निशाचराः || ६-६०-३६
कुम्भकर्णविबोधार्थम् चक्रुस्तेविपुलम् स्वनम् |
36. te nishaacharaaH = those demons; neduH = made sounds; kumbhakarNa vibodhaartham = in order to awaken Kumbhakarna; aasphoTayaamaasuH = clapped their hands; chikSupuH = and shook him; chakruH = made; vipulam = a great; svanam = clamour.
Those demons made sounds by clapping their hands, in order to awaken Kumbhakarna and shook him too, creating a great clamour.
दिशो द्रवन्तस्त्रिदिवम् किरन्तः |
श्रुत्वा विहम्गाः सहसा निपेतुः || ६-६०-३७
37. vihamgaaH = the birds; kirantaH = passing through; tridivam = the sky; dravantah = ran; dishaH = (to different) quarters; nipetuH = and fell down; sahasaa = soon; shrutvaa = on hearing; sashaNkha bheriipaNava praNaadam = the sound of the couches; drums; gongs; aasphoTitakSvelita simhanaadam = clapping of hands and leonine roars.
The birds passing through the sky ran helter-shelter and fell down soon on hearing the sounds of the couches, drums, gongs, clapping of hands and leonine roars.
यदा भृशम् तैर्निनदैर्महात्मा |
न कम्भकर्णो बुबुधे प्रसुप्तः |
ततो भुशुण्डीर्मुसलानि सर्वे |
रक्षोगणास्तम् जगृहुर्गदाश्च || ६-६०-३८
38. yadaa = when; mahaatmaa = the illustrious; KumbhakarNaH = Kumbhakarna; na bubudhe = did not waken; prasaptaH = from the slumber; taiH = (despite) those; bhR^isham = great; nivadaiH = sounds; tataH = then; sarve = all; rakSogaNaaH = troops of demons; jagR^ihuH = seized hold; bhushuNDiiH = of bars; musalaani = pestles; gadaashcha = and maces; tam = towards him.
As the illustrious Kumbhakarna did not waken from his slumber despite those great sounds, all troops of demons seized hold of bars, pestles and maces towards him.
तम् शैलशृङ्गेर्मुसलैर्गदाभि |
र्वक्षःस्थले मुद्गरमुष्टिभिश्च |
सुखप्रसुप्तम् भुवि कुम्भकर्णम् |
रक्षांस्युदग्राणि तदा निजघ्नः || ६-६०-३९
39. tadaa = then; udagraaNi = the cruel; rakSaamsi = demons; nijaghnuH = struck; tam = that; sukhaprasuptam = sleeping comfortably; bhuvi = on the floor; kumbhakarNam = Kumbhakarna; vakSasthale = on his chest-region; shailashR^iNgaiH = with mountain-tops; musalaiH = pestles; gadaabhiH = maces; mudgaramuSTibhiH cha = hammers and fists.
Then, the cruel demons struck that sleeping Kumbhakarna on his chest with mountain-tops, pestles, maces, hammers and their fists.
तस्य निःश्वासवातेन कुम्भकर्णस्य रक्षसः |
राक्षसा बलवन्तोऽपि स्थातुम् शेकुर्न चाग्रतः || ६-६०-४०
40. balavanto.api = eventhough strong; raakSasaaH = the demons; na shekuH = could not; sthaatum = stand upright; agrataH = before; niHshvaasavaatena = the breathing winds; kumbhakarNasya = of Kumbhakarna; rakSasaH = the demon.
Even with all their strength, the demons could not stand upright before the breathing winds of Kumbhakarna, the demon.
ततः परिहिता गाढम् राक्षसा भीमविक्रमाः |
मृदङ्गपणवान् भेरीः शङ्खकुम्भगणांस्तथा || ६-६०-४१
41. tataH = then; bhiima vikramaH = the terribly strong; raakSasaaH = demons; gaaDham = firmly; parihitaaH = seated themselves round him; (and began to beat); mR^idaN^ga paNavaan = drums; cymbals; bheriiH = kettle-drums; tathaa = and shaNkha kumbhagaNaam = myriads of couches and trumpets.
Then, the terribly strong demons firmly seated themselves round him and began to beat drums, cymbals, kettle-drums and myriads of couches and trumpets.
दश राक्षससाहस्रम् युगपत्पर्यवारयत् |
नीलञ्जनचयाकारम् ते तु तम् प्रत्य्बोधयन् || ६-६०-४२
अभिघ्नन्तो नदन्तश्च न च सम्बुबुधे तदा |
42. dasha raakSasa sahaahasram = ten thousand demons; paryavaarayat = surrounded (him); yugapat = all at once; te tu = they on their part; abhighnantaH = beating; tam = him; niilaaJNanachayaakaaram = that colossus who resembled a heap of antimony; pratyabodhayan = tried to rouse; tam = him; nadantaH = by making sounds; tadaa = (even) then; na sambabudhe = (he) did not wake.
Ten thousand demons surrounded him all at once. Beating that colossus who resembled a heap of antimony, the demons on their part tried to rouse him by making sounds. Even then, he did not wake.
यदा चैनम् न शेकुस्ते प्रतिबोधयितुम् तदा || ६-६०-४३
ततो गुरुतरम् यत्नम् दारुणम् समुपाक्रमन् |
43. yadaa = when; te = they; na shekuH = were unable; patibodhayitum = to rouse; enam = him; tadaa = then; samupaakraman = they began; tataH guru taram = with a more energetic; daaruNam = and ruthless; yatnam = endeavour.
As they were unable to rouse him by these means, they resorted to more energetic and ruthless methods.
अश्वानुष्ट्रान् खरान्नागान् जघ्नर्दण्डकशाङ्कुशैः || ६-६०-४४
भेरीशङ्खेमृदङ्गांश्च सर्वप्राणैरवादयन् |
44. aajaghnuH = (they) beat; ashvaan = horses; uSTraan = camels; kharaan = donkeys; naagaan = and elephants; daNDaka shaan^kushaiH = with sticks; whips and thongs; (to trample upon him); avaadayan = and caused to blast; bheriishaNkha mR^idaN^gan cha = kettle-drums; couches and drums; sarvapraaNaiH = by all the beings.
They beat horses, camels, donkeys, and elephants with sticks whips and thongs, so that they trample upon him and blasted kettle-drums, couches and drums.
निजघ्नश्चास्य गात्राणि महाकाष्ठकटम्करैः || ६-६०-४५
मुद्गरैर्मुसलैश्चापि सर्वप्राणसमुद्यतैः |
45. nijaghnuH = (They) crushed; asya = his; gaatraaNi = limbs; mahaa kaaSThaka TamkaraiH = under piles of heavy logs and pillars; musalaishchaapi = and maces; sarvapraaNa samudyataiH = lifted with all strength.
They crushed his limbs under piles of heavy logs and pillars, as also maces lifted with all their strength.
तेन नादेन महाअ लङ्का समभिपूरिता || ६-६०-४६
सपर्वतवना सर्वा सोऽपि नैव प्रबुध्यते |
46. tena mahataa maadena = by that great noise; sambhipuuritaa = was filled; sarvaa = the entire; laN^kaa = Lanka; saparvatavanaa = along with its mountains and groves; saH api = he nevertheless; naiva prabudhyati = did not wake.
The entire Lanka, with its mountain and groves, was filled with great noise. He nevertheless did not wake.
ततः सहस्रम् भेरीणाम् युगपत्समहन्यत || ६-६०-४७
मृष्टकाञ्चनकोणाना मासक्तानाम् समन्ततः |
47. tataH = thereafter; sahasram = a thousand; bheriiNaam = drums; aasaktaanaam = lying upon that; samantataH = all around; mR^iSTa kaaN^chana koNaanaam = with sticks of refined gold.
Then, they beat a thousand drums all around with sticks of refined gold.
एवनओततुबुद्रस्त्य् तदा बौव ओरव्य्द्ग्तत || ६-६०-४८
शापस्य वशमापन्नस्ततः क्रुद्धा निशाचराः |
48. evamapi = yet; yadaa = when; naiva prabudhyata = he did not wake; atinidraH = from his profound slumber; aapannaH = having been afflicted; vasham = under the spell; shaapasya = of a curse; tataH = then; nishaaharaaH = the demons; kruddhaaH = were enraged.
Yet, as he did not wake from his profound slumber, being under the spell of a curse, the demons were enraged.
महाक्रोधसमाविष्टाः सर्वे भीमपराक्रमाः || ६-६०-४९
तद्रक्षो बोधयिष्यन्तश्चक्रुरन्ये पराक्रमम् |
49. sarve = all those demons; bhiimaparaakramaaH = of terrible strength; mhaakrodha samaaviSTaaH = were filled with a great fury; anye = some others; chakruH = assembled; paraakramam = their strength; bodhayiSyantaH = to awaken; tat = that rakSaH = demons.
All those demons of terrible strength were filled with a great fury. Some others assembled their strength to awaken that demon.
अन्ये भेरीः समाजघ्नरन्ये चक्रुर्महास्वनम् || ६-६०-५०
केशानन्ये प्रलुलुपुः कर्णावन्ये दशन्ति च |
50. anye = some; samaajaghnuH = beat; bheriiH = drums; anye = some; chakruH = made; mahaasvanam = a great sound; anye = some; pralulupuH = tore out; keshaan = his hair; anye = some others; dashanti = bit; karNau = his ears.
Some beat drums, some shouted, some tore out his hair and some others bit his ears.
उदकुम्भशतान्यन्ये समसिञ्चन्त कर्णयोः || ६-६०-५१
न कुम्भकर्णः पस्पन्दे महानिद्रावशं गतः |
51. anye = some; samasiJNchanta = poured; uda kumbha shataani = hundreds of pitchers of water; karNoyoH = into his ears; kumbhakarNaH = (but) Kumbhakarna; mahaanidravasham gataH = plunged in deep sleep; na paspande = did not stir.
Some poured hundreds of pitchers of water into his ears but Kumbhakarna, plunged in deep sleep, did not stir.
न कुम्भकर्णः पस्पन्दे महानिद्रावशम् गतः || ६-६०-५२
मूर्ध्नि वक्षसि गात्रेषु पातयन् कूटमुद्गरान् |
52. anye = some; balinaH = strong one; kuuTamudgara paaNayaH = armed with rocks and hammers; paatayan = struck; kuuTa mudgaraan = the rocks and hammers; tasya muurdhni = on his head; vakSasi = chest; gaatreSu = and other limbs.
Some strong ones, armed with rocks and hammers, struck the rocks and hammers on his head, chest and other limbs.
रज्जुबन्धनबद्धाभिः शतग्नीभिश्च सर्वशः || ६-६०-५३
वध्यमानो महाकायो न प्राबुध्यत राक्षसः |
53. vadhyamaanaH = (Though) smitten; shataghniibhiH = by missiles; rajju bandhana baddhaabhiH = fastened with ropes; sarvashaH = on all sides; mahaakaayaH = the giant bodied; raakSasaH = demon; na praabudhyata = did not wake.
Though smitten by missiles fastened with ropes on all sides, the giant bodied demon did not wake.
वारणानाम् सहस्रम् च शरीरेऽस्य प्रधावितम् || ६-६०-५४
कुम्भकर्णस्तदा बुद्ध्वा स्पर्शम् परमबुध्यत |
54. sahasram = a thousand; vaaraNaanaam = elephants; pradhaaritam = ran up and down; asya = on his; shariire = body; tadaa = then; kumbhakarNaH = Kumbhakarna; buddhvaa = lightly waking up; abudhyata = became aware; sparsham param = of the pressure.
A thousand elephants ran up and down on his body till Kumbhakarna lightly woke up and became aware of the pressure.
स पात्यमानैर्गिरिशृङ्गवृक्षै |
रचिन्तयंस्तान्विपुलान् प्रहारान् |
निद्राक्षयात् क्षुद्भयपीडितश्च |
विजृम्भमाणः सहसोत्पपाप || ६-६०-५५
55. achintayan = being insensible; taan = to those; vipulaan = violent; prahaaraan = blows; girishR^iNga vR^ikSaiH = of crags and trees; paatyamaanaiH = hurled upon him; kSud bhaya piiDitashcha = but under the prompting of extreme hunger; sahasaa = suddenly; utpapaata = sprung up from sleep; vijR^imbhamaanaH = yawning; nidraakSayaat = due to loss of sleep.
Being insensible to those violent blows of crags and trees hurled upon him, but under the prompting of extreme hunger, Kumbhakarna suddenly sprang up from sleep, yawning due to loss of sleep.
स नागभोगाचलशृङ्गकल्पौ |
विक्षिप्य बाहू जितवज्रसारौ |
विवृत्य वक्त्रम् वडवामुखाभम् |
निशाचरोऽसौ विकृतम् जजृम्भे || ६-६०-५६
56. vikSipya = waving; baahuu = his arms; naagabhogaachlashR^iN^ga kalpau = resembling serpent's coils or the peaks of mountains; jita vajra saarau = hard as cut diamonds; saH = such; asau = of this; niSaacharaH = demon; vivR^itya = opening; vikR^itam = his monstrous vaktram = mouth; vaDavaamukhaabham = like unto the face of a submarine fire; jajR^imbhe = yawned.
Waving his arms resembling serpent's coils or the peaks of mountains, hard as cut diamonds, that demons opening his monstrous month like unto the face of a submarine fire, yawned.
तस्य जाजृम्भमाणस्य वक्त्रम् पातालसम्निभम् |
दद्ऱ्^उशे मेरुशृङ्गाग्रे दिवाकर इवोदितः || ६-६०-५७
57. tasya = his; vaktram = mouth; jaajR^imbhamaaNasya = yawning horribly; paataala samnibham = resembled hell; dadR^ishe = and appeared; divaakaraH = like the sun; uditaH = rising; meru shR^iN^ge = under the high peak of Meru Mountain.
His mouth yawning horribly resembled hell and appeared like the sun rising under the high peak of Meru Mountain.
स जृम्भमाणोऽतिबलः प्रबुद्धस्तु निशाचरः |
निःश्वासश्चास्य सम्जज्ञे पर्वदादिव मारुतः || ६-६०-५८
58. saH = that; atibalaH = mighty; nishaacharaH = demon; prabuddhaH = being awake; jR^imbhamaaNaH = yawned; asya samjajJNe niHshvaasaH = heaving his sigh; maarutaH iva = like unto a tempest; parvataat = from a mountain.
That mighty demon, being awake, yawned, heaving a sigh, like unto a tempest arising from a mountain.
रूपमुत्तिष्ठतस्तस्य कुम्भकर्णस्य तद् बभौ |
युगाने सर्वभूतानि कालस्येव दिधक्षतः || ६-६०-५९
59. tat ruupam = that figure; tasya kumbhakarNasya = of that Kumbhakarna; uttiSThataH = rising up; babhau = stood out; kaalasyeva = resembling Time; yugaante = at the dissolution of the world; didhakSataH = prepared to devour; sarva bhuutaani = all beings.
That figure of Kumbhakarna, rising up, stood out resembling Time at the dissolution of the world, prepared to devour all beings.
तस्याग्निदीप्तिसदृशे विद्युत्सदृशवर्चसी |
ददृशाते महानेत्रे दीप्ताविव महाग्रहौ || ६-६०-६०
60. tasya mahaanetre = his huge eyes; agnidiipti sadR^ishe = resembling flames of fire; vidyutsadR^ishavarchasii = with a glitter equal to that of lightning; dadR^ishaate = appeared; diiptau mahaagrahau iva = like blazing great planets.
His huge eyes, resembling flames of fire, with a glitter equal to that of lightning, appeared like great blazing planets.
ततस्त्वदर्शयन् सर्वान् भक्ष्यांश्च विविधान् बहून् |
वराहान् महिषांश्चैव बभक्ष स महाबलः || ६-६०-६१
62. tataH = then; adarshayan = (the demons) pointed out; vividhaan = various kinds; bahuuvn = of many; sarve = and all pieces; bhakSyaancha = of eatables; varaahaan = boar; mahiSaamshcha = and buffaloes; mahaabalaH = the mighty; saH = Kumbhakarna; babhakSa = devoured (them).
Then, the demons pointed to various kinds of victuals, boar and buffalo. The mighty Kumbhakarna devoured them.
आदद्बुभुक्षितो मांसम् शोणितम् तृषितोऽपिबत् |
मेदःकुम्भांश्च मद्यांश्च पपौ शक्ररिपुस्तदा || ६-६०-६२
63. tadaa = then; buhukSitaH = the hungry; shakraripuH = Kumbhakarna the enemy of Indra; aadat = ate; maamsam = the meat; tR^iSitaH = and being thirsty; apibat = drank; shoNitam = the blood; papau = and gulped; medaH kumbhaamshcha = pitchers full of fat; madyaamshcha = and wine.
Then, the hungry Kumbhakarna, the enemy of Indra, ate the meat and being thirsty drank the blood and gulped pitchers full of fat and wine.
ततस्तृप्त इति ज्ञात्वा समुत्पेरुर्निशाचराः |
शिरोभिश्च प्रणम्यैनम् सर्वतः पर्यवारयन् || ६-६०-६३
64. tataH = thereupon; JNaatvaa = knowing; tR^iptaH iti = that Kumbhakarna was gratified; nishaacharaaH = the demons; samutpetuH = jumped up (to him); praNamya = saluting; enam = him; shirobhiH = with their heads; paryavaarayan = (they) surrounded him; sarvataH = on all sides.
Thereupon, knowing that Kumbhakarna was gratified of his hunger, the demons approached him, saluting him with their heads bent and surrounded him on all sides.
निद्राविशदनेत्रस्तु कलुषीकृतलोचनः |
चारयन् सर्वतो दृष्टिम् तानुवाच निशाचरान् || ६-६०-६४
65. nidravishadanetraH = raising his eyelids that were heavy with sleep; kaluSiikR^ita lochanaH = his gaze still veiled; chaarayan = (he) directed; dR^ishTim = his glance; taan = towards those; nishaacharaan = demons; uvaacha = and spoke (as follows):
Raising his eyelids that were heavy with sleep, his gaze still veiled, he directed his glance towards those demons and spoke as follows:
स सर्वान् सान्त्वयामास नैर्ऱ्^तान् नैरृतर्षभः |
बोधनाद्विस्मितश्चापि राक्षसानिदमब्रवीत् || ६-६०-६५
66. saH = that; nairR^itarSabhaH = excellent demon; saantvayaamaasa = kindly addressed; sarvaan = all; nairR^itaan = the demons; vismitashchaapi = and surprised at being roused; abraviit = spoke; idam = those words; raakSasaan = to the demons.
That excellent demons kindly addressing all the demons and surprised at being roused, spoke the following words to the demons:
किमर्थमहामादृत्य भवद्भिः प्रतिबोधितः |
कच्चित्सुकुशलम् राज्ञो भयम् वा नेह किंचन् || ६-६०-६६
66. kimartham = for what reason; aham = have I; pratibodhitaH = been awakened; bhavadbhiH = by you; aadR^itya = so suddenly?; sukushalam kachchit = is all well; raaJNaH = with the king?; vaa = or; kimchana = is there anything; na = not; bhayam = peril; iha = here?.
"For what reason have you thus wakened me so suddenly? Is all well with the king or anything in peril here?"
अथवा ध्रुवमन्येभ्यो भयम् परमुपस्थितम् |
यदर्थमेव त्वरिरैर्भवद्भिः प्रतिबोधितः || ६-६०-६७
67. athavaa = or; dhruvam = surely; param = a great; bhayam = danger; upasthitam = must have arisen; yadarthameva = for which reason; pratibodhitaH = I have been awaken; bhavadbhiH = by you; tvaritaiH = in haste.
"Surely, there must be some great danger from an external source since you have wakened me in haste."
अद्य राक्षसराजस्य भयमुत्पाटयाम्यहम् |
दारयिष्ये महेन्द्रम् वा शीतयिष्ये तथानलम् || ६-६०-६८
68. adya = now; aham = I; utpaaTayaami = shall drive away; bhayam = the misfortune; raakSasa raajarsya = from Ravana the King of Demons; daarayiSye = (even if) I have to cut to pieces; mahendram vaa = Mahendra himself; tathaa = and; shiitayiSye = to freeze; analam = the Fire.
"Now, I shall drive away the misfortune from Ravana the King of Demons, even if I have to cut Mahendra himself to pieces or to freeze the Fire.
स ह्यल्पकारणे सुप्तम् बोधयिष्यति मादृशम् |
तदाख्यातार्थतत्त्वेन मत्प्रबोधनकारणम् || ६-६०-६९
69. alpakaaraNe = for a petty reason; na bodhayiSyati hi = one does not indeed awaken one; maadR^isham = such as I; suptam = who was sleeping; tat = hence; aakhyaata = tell me; arthatattvena = frankly; matprabodha kaaraNam = for what reason you have roused me.
"For a petty reason, one does not indeed awaken, one such as I, from my slumber. Hence, tell me frankly, for what reason you have roused me."
एवम् ब्रुवाणम् सम्रब्धम् कुम्भकर्णमरिंदमम् |
यूपाक्षः सचिवो राज्ञः कृताञ्जलिरभाषत || ६-६०-७०
70. yuupaakSaH = Yupaksha; sachivaH = a minister; raaJNaH = of the king; kR^itaaN^jaliH = with his hands joined in salutation; abhaaSata = spoke; kumbhakarNam = to Kumbhakarna; arimdamam = the annihilator of his enemies; evam = thus; bruvaaNam = talking; samrabdham = excitedly.
Yupaksha, a minister of the King, with his hands joined salutation, spoke (as follows) to Kumbhakarna, the annihilator of his enemies, thus talking excitedly.
न नो देवकृतम् किंचिद्भयमस्ति कदाचन |
मानुषान्नो भयम् राजंस्तुमुलम् सम्प्रबाधते || ६-६०-७१
71. raajan = O; Prince!; naasti = there is no; kimchit = any; bhayam = panic; kadaachana = at any time; naH = for us; devakR^itam to be caused by celestials; maanuSaat = (but) from a man; tumulam = there is a tumultuous; bhayam = tremor; samprabaadhate = that is driving us back.
"O, Prince! There is no threat whatsoever at anytime for us from celestials but a mere man is driving us back by a tumultuous tremor."
न दैत्यदानवेभ्यो वा भयमस्ति हि तादृशम् |
यादृशम् मानुषम् राजन् भयमस्मानुपस्थितम् || ६-६०-७२
72. raaja = O; Prince!; naastihi = It is not indeed; daitya daanavebhyo = the celestials or demons; upasthitam = who have put; asmaan = us; taadR^isham = in such; bhayam = a peril; maanuSam = from a man!.
"O, Prince! It is not indeed the celestials or demons who have put us in such a peril as it comes to us from a man."
वानरैः पर्वताकारैर्लङ्केयम् परिवारिता |
सीताहरणसम्तप्ताद्रामान्नस्तुमुलम् भयम् || ६-६०-७३
73. vaanaraiH = by monkeys; parvataakaaraiH = whose forms are as large as mountains; iyam laN^kaa = this Lanka; parivaaritaa = is besieged; tumulam = there is tumultuous; bhayam = peril; naH = for us; raamaat = from Rama; siitaaharaNa samtaptaat = who is furious on account of Seetha's abduction.
"Monkeys, whose forms are as large as mountains, are besieging Lanka. There is a tumultuous peril for us from Rama, who is furious on account of Seetha's abduction."
एकेन वानरेणेयम् पूर्वम् दग्धा महापुरी |
कुमारो निहतश्चाक्षः सानुयात्रः सकुञ्जरः || ६-६०-७४
74. puurvam = already; ekena = by one; vaanareNa = monkey; iyam = this; mahaapurii = great city; dagdhaa = was burnt; kumaaraH akSaH = and the youthful Prince Aksha; nihataH = was killed; saanuyaatraH = along with his retinue; sakuN^jaraH = and elephants.
"Already, a single monkey set fire to our great city of slew the youthful Prince Aksha with his escort of elephants and retinue."
स्वयम् रक्षोधिपश्चापि पौलस्त्यो देवकण्टकः |
व्रजेति सम्युगे मुक्तो रामेणादित्यवर्चसा || ६-६०-७५
75. vraja iti = 'get thee hence'; (were the words addressed); raameNa = by Rama; aaditya; varchasaa = who is equal to the sun in splendour; paulastyaH api = to Ravana; svayam = in person; rakSodhipaH = the Lord of Demons; devakaNTakaH = the Lord of Demons; devakaNTakaH = and the troublesome person to celestials.
" ' Get thee hence' were the words addressed by Rama who is equal to the sun in splendour, to Ravana in person the Lord of Demons and the trouble-some person to celestials."
यन्न देवैः कृतो राजा नापि दैत्यैर्न दानवैः |
कृतः स इह रामेण विमुक्तः प्राणसंशयात् || ६-६०-७६
76. yat = that which; saH raajaa = that king; na kR^itaH = never suffered; devaiH = (in the hands) of Gods; na = never; daityaiH = with demons; na = never; daityaiH = with demons; na = never; daanavaiH = with Danavas; kR^itaH = (he had had) to endure; iha = here; raameNa = from Rama; vimuktaH = who released him; praaNasamshayaat = from the danger to his life.
"That which this king never suffered at the hands of Gods or Demons or Danavas, he has had to endure here from Rama, who released him from the danger to his life."
स यूपाक्षवचः श्रुत्वा भ्रातुर्युधि पराभवम् |
कुम्भक्र्णो विवृत्ताक्षो यूपाक्षमिदमब्रवीत् || ६-६०-७७
77. shrutvaa = hearing; paraabhavam = about the humiliation; bhraatuH = of his brother; yudhi = in the battle; yuupaakSa vachanaH = through the words of Yupaksha; kumbhakarNaH = Kumbhakarna; vivR^ittakSaH = rolling his eyes; abraviit = spoke; yuupakSam = to Yupaksha (as follows):
Hearing about the humiliation of his brother in the battle through the words of Yupaksha, Kumbhakarna rolling his great eyes, spoke to Yupaksha (as follows):
सर्वमद्यैव यूपाक्ष हरिसैन्यम् सलक्ष्मणम् |
राघवम् च रणे जित्वा ततो द्रक्ष्यामि रावणम् || ६-६०-७८
78. yuupaakSa = O; Yupaksha!; adyaiva = now itself; jitvaa = after conquering; raagjavam = Rama; salakshamaNam = along with Lakshmana; sarvam = and the entire; harisainyam = army of monkeys; raNe = in the battle; drakSyaami = I shall see; raavaNam = Ravana; tata = thereafter.
"O, Yupaksha! Now itself, after conquering the entire army of monkeys with Lakshmana and Rama on the battle-field, then only I shall see Ravana."
राक्षसांस्तर्पयिष्यामि हरीणाम् मांसशोणितैः |
रामलक्ष्मणयोश्चापि स्वयम् पास्यामि शोणितम् ||६-६०-७९
79. tarpayiSyaami = I shall satiate; raakSasaan = the demons; maamsashoNitaiH = with the flesh and blood; hariiNaam = of the monkeys; paasyaami = I shall drink; svayam = myself; shoNitam = the blood; raamalakSmaNayoH = Rama and Lakshmana.
"I shall satiate the demons with the flesh and blood of monkeys and, as for Rama and Lakshmana, I shall drink their blood myself."
तत्तस्य वाक्यम् ब्रुवतो निशम्य |
सगर्वितम् रोषविवृद्धदोषम् |
महोदरो नैरृतयोधमुख्यः |
कृताञ्जलिर्वाक्यमिदम् बभाषे || ६-६०-८०
80. nishamya = hearing; tat vaakyam = those words; bruvataH = spoken; garvitam = with haughtiness; roSavivR^iddha doSam = and whose anger increased his ferocity; tasya = of him; sah = that; mahodaraH = Mahodara; nairR^itayodhamukhyaH = the chief of warriors of demons; kR^itaaN^jaliH = with joined palms; babhaaSe = spoke; idam vaakyam = these words.
Hearing these haughty from that demon, whose anger increased his ferocity, Mahodara the chief of warriors of demons, having offered obeisance with joined palms, spoke the following words:
रावणस्य वचः श्रुत्वा गुणदोषौ विमृश्य च |
पश्चादपि महाबाहो शत्रून्युधि विजेष्यसि || ६-६०-८१
81. mahaabaaho = O; the mighty armed!; shrutvaa = when your have listened to; vachaH = the words; raavaNasya = of Ravana; vimR^ishya cha = and considered; guNa doSau = the advantages and disadvantages (of the matter); pashchaat = api = even afterwards; vijeSyasi = you can conquer; shatruun = the enemies; yudhi = in battle.
"O, the mighty armed! When you have listened to the words of Ravana and considered the advantages and disadvantages of the matter, even afterwards you can conquer the enemies in battle."
महोदरवचः श्रुत्वा राक्षसैः परिवारितः |
कुम्भकर्णो महातेजाः सम्प्रतस्थे महाबलः || ६-६०-८२
82. shrutvaa = hearing; mahodara vachaH = the words of Mahodara; mahaabalaH = the mighty; kumbhakarNaH = Kumbhakarna; mahaatejaaH = of great valour; sampratasthe = prepared to depart; parivaaritaH = surrounded; raakSasaiH = by demons.
Hearing the words of Mahodara, the might Kumbhakarna of great valour prepared to depart, surrounded by demons.
सुप्तमुत्थाप्य भीमाक्षम् भीमरूपपराक्रमम् |
राक्षसास्त्वरिता जग्मुर्दशग्रीवनिवेशनम् || ६-६०-८३
83. raakSasaaH = the demons; utthaaprya = having awaken; suptam = that sleeping Kumbhakarna; bhiimaakSam = of dreadful eyes; bhiimaruupa paraakramam = with formidable aspect and valour; jagmuH = went; dashagriiva niveshanam = to the king's palace; tvaritaaH = in haste.
The demons, having awaken that sleeping Kumbhakarna of dreadful eyes, form and valour, went to the King's palace in haste.
तेऽभिगम्य दशग्रीवमासीनम् परमासने |
ऊचुर्बद्धाञ्जलिपुटाः सर्व एव निशाचराः || ६-६०-८४
84. sarve = all; te nishaacharaaH = those demons; abhigamya = approaching; dashagriivam = Ravana; aasiinam = who was seated; paramaasane = on the throne; uuchuH = said to him; baddhaaN^jalipuTaaH = with joined palms (as follows):
All those demons, approaching Ravana who was seated on the throne, said to him with joined palms, as follows:
कुम्भकर्णः प्रबुद्धोऽसौ भ्राता ते राक्षसेश्वर |
कथम् तत्रैव निर्यातु द्रक्ष्यसे तमिहागतम् || ६-६०-८५
85. raakSaseshvara = O; Lord of Demons!; asau kumbhakarnaH = this Kumbhakarna; te bhraataa = your brother; prabuddhaH = has wakened; niryaatu katham = (It is your will) that he should enter the battle field; tatraiva = from there itself; drakSyase = or do you desire to see; tam = him; aagatam = who came; iha = here?.
"O, Lord of Demons! Kumbhakarna, your brother, has wakened. Is it your will that he should enter the battle field from there itself or do you desire him to come here and see you?"
रावणस्त्वब्रवीद्धृष्टो राक्षसांस्तानुपस्थितान् |
द्रष्टुमेनमिहेच्छामि यथान्यायम् च पूज्यताम् || ६-६०-८६
86. raavaNastu = Ravana on his part; abraviit = answered; taan = those; raakSasaan = demons; upasthitam = who stood before him; hR^iSTaH = and with a glad heart; (said); ichchhami = I want; draSTum = to see; enam = him; iha = here; puujyataam = let hi receive the honours; yathaanyaayam = in a befitting manner.
Ravana answered those demons who stood before him and with a glad heart, said: "I want to see him here. Bring him after extending the honours due to him in a befitting manner."
तथेत्युक्त्वा तु ते सर्वे पुनरागम्य राक्षसाः |
कुम्भकर्णमिदम् वाक्यमूचू रावणचोदिताः || ६-६०-८७
87. uktvaa = uttering; tatheti = "Be it so"; sarve = all; te = those; raakSasaaH = demons; raavaNachoditaaH = as per the command of Ravana; punaH aagamya = returned; kumbhakarNam = to Kumbhakarna; uuchuH = and spoke; idam = these; vaakyam = words.
Uttering "Be it so", all those demons as commanded by Ravana, returned to Kumbhakarna and spoke the following words:
द्रष्टुम् त्वाम् काम्क्षते राजा सर्वराक्षसपुम्गवः |
गमने क्रियताम् बुद्धिर्भ्रातरम् सम्प्रहर्षय || ६-६०-८८
88. raajaa = the king; sarva raakSasa pungavaH = the lion of all the dmeons; kaan^kSate = desires; draSTum = to see; tvaam = you; kriyataam = bestow; buddhiH = your mind; gamane = in going; sampraharSaya = and gratify; bhraataram = your brother!.
"The king, the lion of all the demons, desires to see you. Go and gratify your brother!"
कुम्भकर्णस्तु दुर्धर्षो भ्रातुराज्ञाय शासनम् |
तथेत्युक्त्वा महावीर्यः शयनादुत्पपात ह || ६-६०-८९
89. aaJNaaya = understanding; bhraatuH = his brother's; shaasanam = command; kumbhakarNastu = Kumbhakarna; durdharSaH = the inviolable demons; mahaaviiryaH = of great prowess; uktvaa = uttering; tathaa iti = "so be it"; utpapaataha = rose up; shayanaat = from his couch.
Hearing his brother's wish, Kumbhakarna the inviolable demon of great prowess, uttering "so be it", leapt up from his couch.
प्रक्षाल्य वदनम् ह्ऱ्^ष्टः स्नातः परमभूषितः |
पिपासुस्त्वरयामास पानम् बलसमीरणम् || ६-६०-९०
90. prakSaalya = washing; vadanam = his face; snaataH = bathing; hR^iSTaH = refreshed and delighted; paramabhuuSitaH = adorning himself well; pipaasuH = and feeling thirsty; tvarayaamaasa = (he) hastened (them); paanam = (to bring him) a drink; balasamiiraNam = which can boost up his strength.
Washing his face and bathing, refreshed and delighted, adorning himself well and feeling thirsty, he hastened them to bring him a drink which can boost up his strength.
ततस्ते त्वरितास्तत्र राक्षसा रावणाज्ञया |
मद्यम् भक्ष्यांश्च विविधान् क्षिप्रमेवोपहारयन् || ६-६०-९१
91. tataH = thereupon; te raakSasaaH = those demons; upahaarayan- brought; (him); kSiprameva = quickly; madyam = the wine; vividhaan = and various kinds; bhakSyaamshcha = of eatables; tatra = there; tvaritaaH = (and who) hastened; raavaNaaJNayaa = to carry out Ravana's commands.
Thereupon, those demons brought him quickly the wine and various kinds of eatable there, in their hurry to take Kumbhakarna with them as per Ravana's commands.
पीत्वा घटसहस्रे द्वे गमनायोपचक्रमे |
ईषत्समुत्कटो मत्तस्तेजोबलसमन्वितः || ६-६०-९२
92. pitraa = having drunk; dve = two; ghaTa sahasre = thousand pitchers; gamanaaya upachakrame = (Kumbhakarna) prepared to set out; iiSat = and slightly; samutkaTaH = inebriated; mattaH = and flushed; tejobalasamanvitaH = he was exhilarated and filled with energy.
Having drunk two thousand pitchers, Kumbhakarna prepared to set out and slightly inebriated and flushed, he was exhilarated and filled with energy.
कुम्भकर्णो बबौ रुष्टः कालान्तकयमोपमः |
भ्रूतुः स भवनम् गच्छन् रक्षोबलसमन्वितः || ६-६०-९३
कुम्भकर्णः पदन्यासैरकम्पयत मेदिनीम् |
93. ruSTaH = the fuming; umbhakarNaH = Kumbhakarna; gachchhan = going; bhraatruH = to his brother's; bhavanam = palace; rakSobala samanvitaH = along with the army of demons; babhau = appeared; kaalaantaka yamopamaH = like Yama the Lord of Death at the end of all-destroying time; akampayata mediniim = he caused the earth to tremble; padanyaasaiH = with his foot-steps.
The fuming Kumbhakarna, going to his brother's palace along with the army of demons, appeared like Yama the Lord of Death at the end of all-destroying Time. He caused the earth to tremble with his foot-steps, while marching.
स राजमार्गम् वपुषा प्रकाशयन् |
जगाम तत्राञ्जलिमालया वृतः |
शतक्रतुर्गेहमिव स्वयम्भुवः || ६-६०-९४
94. raajamaargam = the royal highway; prakaashayan = was illumined; vapuSaa = by his body; sahasra rashmiH iva = like unto that orb of a thousand rays (sund); amshubhiH = by its flashes; dharaNiim = (illumines) the earth; jagaama = and he went; tatra = there; vR^itaH = surrounded by; aN^jalimaalayaa = a circle of demons paying him obeisance; shatakratuH = resembling Indra the Lord of Celestials; geham = (approaching) the abode; svayambhuvaH = of Brahma the Lord of Creation.
The royal high way was illumined by his body, like unto that orb of a thousand rays (the sun) by its flashes illumines the earth and he went there, surrounded by a circle of demons paying obeisance, resembling Indra the Lord of Celestials approaching the abode of Brahma the Lord of Creation.
तम् राजमार्गस्थममित्रघातिनम् |
वनौकसस्ते सहसा बहिःस्थिताः |
दृष्ट्वाऽ प्रमेयम् गिरिशृङ्गकल्पम् |
वितत्रसुस्ते सह यूथपालैः || ६-६०-९५
95. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; amitraghaatinam = that slayer of his foes; raajamaargastham = on the royal high way; tam = that monster; girishR^iNga kalpam = as high as the peak of a mountain; te vanaukasaH = those monkeys; bahiHsthitaH = stationed outside (the city); yuuthapaalaiH saha = as also their leaders; vitatrasuH = were frightened; sahasaa = suddenly.
Seeing that slayer of his foes on the royal high way, that monster as high as the peak of a mountain, those monkeys stationed outside the city, as also their leaders, were frightened suddenly.
केचिछरण्यम् शरणम् स्म रामम् |
व्रजन्ति केचिद्व्यथिताः पतन्ति |
केचिद्दिशश्च व्यथिताः पतन्ति |
केचिद्बयार्ताभुवि शेरते स्म || ६-६०-९६
96. kechit = some; sharaNam vajrantisma = gained refuge; raamam = in Rama; sharaNyam = who affords protection; kechit = some; patantisma = fell down; vyathitaa = tottering; kechit = some; patantisma = fled away; vyathitaaH = perturbed; dishaH = in all directions; kechit = and some; sherate sma = lay; bhuvi = on the ground; bhayaartaaH = confounded with fear.
Some gained refuge in Rama who affords protection, some fell down tottering, some fled away perturbed in all directions and some others lay on the ground, confounded with fear.
तमद्रिशृङ्गप्रतिमम् किरीटिनम् |
वनौकसः प्रेक्ष्य विवृद्धमद्भुतम् |
भयार्दिता दुद्रुविरे यतस्ततः || ६-६०-९७
97. prekSya = seeing; tam adbhutam = that colossus; adri shR^iNga pratimam = like a great peak; kiriiTinam = having a diadem; spR^ishantam iva = who seemed to touch; aadityam = the sun; aatma tejasaa = with his brilliance; vanaukasaH = the monkeys; bhayaarditaaH = were seized with terror; vivR^iddham = and had grown immensely in size; dudruvire = fled; yatastataH = hither and thither.
Seeing that colossus appearing like a great peak, having a diadem who seemed to touch the sun with his brilliance, the monkeys were seized with terror and had grown immensely in size, fled hither and thither.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकांडे षष्टितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© July 2006, K. M. K. Murthy