Feeling desperate at the death of Prahasta, Ravana himself appears on the battle-front for an encounter, along with Akampana, Indrajit, Atikaya, Mahodara, Pishacha, Trishiras, Kumbha, Nimkumbha and Narantaka the foremost of demons. After a tough fight with Sugreeva, Lakshmana, Hanuma and Nila, Ravana encounters Rama in battle, and sustaining an ignominious defeat at the latter's hands and escaping with his life, withdraws to Lanka.
तस्मिन् हते राक्षस सैन्य पाले |
प्लवम् गमानाम् ऋषभेण युद्धे |
भीम आयुधम् सागर तुल्य वेगम् |
विदुद्रुवे राक्षस राज सैन्यम् || ६-५९-१
1. tasmin = (while) that Prahasta; raakSasa sainyapaale = the Army chief of demons; nihate = was killed; yuddhe = in the battle; plaaN^gamaanaam R^iSabheNa = by Nila; the best among the monkeys; raakSaraaja sainyam = Ravana's army; bhiimaayudham = having terrible weapons; saagara vegatulyam = with the speed of the tide; vidudrave = took to flight.
While Prahasta the Army chief of demons was slain in the battle by Nila the foremost among the monkeys, Ravana's army possessing terrible arms took to flight with the speed of a tide.
गत्वा तु रक्षो अधिपतेह् शशंसुह् |
सेना पतिम् पावक सूनु शस्तम् |
तच् च अपि तेषाम् वचनम् निशम्य |
रक्षो अधिपह् क्रोध वशम् जगाम || ६-५९-२
2. gatvaa = (The demons) went; shashamsuH = and told; rakSodhipate = Ravana; (that); senaapatiH = Prahasta the Army chief; paavaka suunushastam = had been killed by Nila the son of Fire-god; nishanya = hearing; tat = those; vachanam = words; teSaam = of the demons; rakSodhipaH = Ravana; jagaama = gained; krodhavasham = possession of anger.
The demons went and told Ravana that Prahasta the Army chief had been killed by Nila the son of Fire-god. Hearing those words of the demons, Ravana was possessed of anger.
सम्ख्ये प्रहस्तम् निहतम् निशम्य |
शोक अर्दितह् क्रोध परीत चेताह् |
उवाच तान् नैरृत योध मुख्यान् |
इन्द्रो यथा च अमर योध मुख्यान् || ६-५९-३
3. nishamya = hearing; prahastam = Prahasta; nihatam = having been killed; samkhya = in the battle; (Ravana); krodhaarditaH = afflicted with anger; shokapariita chetaaH = with his heart filled with grief; uvaacha = spoke; taan = to those; raakSasayuuthamukhyaan = leaders of the demoniacal troops; indraH iva = as Indra the Lord of celestials; nirjarayuutha mukhyaan = to the leaders of the celestial troops.
Hearing that Prahasta had perished in the fight, Ravana was afflicted with anger and his heart filled with grief and he addressed the foremost of his leaders as Indra the Lord of celestials to the leaders of the celestial troops (as follows):
न अवज्ना रिपवे कार्या यैर् इन्द्र बल सूदनह् |
सूदितह् सैन्य पालो मे सानुयात्रह् सकुन्जरह् || ६-५९-४
4. ripave = that enemy; nakaaryaa avaJNaa = is not to be despised; yaiH = under whose; suuditaH = blows; indrabala saadanaH = the destroyer of Indra's host; me sainyapaalaH = the leader of my army; saanuyaatraH = with his followers; sakuN^jaraH = and elephants (fell).
"That enemy is not to be despised; under whose blows the destroyer of Indra's host the leader of my army with his followers and elephants fell."
सो अहम् रिपु विनाशाय विजयाय अविचारयन् |
स्वयम् एव गमिष्यामि रण शीर्षम् तद् अद्भुतम् || ६-५९-५
5. avichaarayan without hesitation; aham = I; gamiSyaami = will go; svayameva = myself; tat = to that; adbhutam = wonderful; raNashiirSam = battle-front; ripuvinaashaaya = to destroy the enemies; vijayaaya = and to gain victory.
"I myself shall go to that wonderful battle-front without hesitation in order to destroy the enemies and to gain victory."
अद्य तद् वानर अनीकम् रामम् च सह लक्ष्मणम् |
निर्दहिष्यामि बाण ओघैर् वनम् दीप्तैर् इव अग्निभिह् || ६-५९-६
अद्य सम्तर्पयिष्यामि पृथिवीम् कपिशोणितैः |
6. nirdahiSyaami = I shall scorch; tat = that; vaanaraaniikam = army of monkeys; adya = now; saha lakSmaNam = along with Lakshmana; raamam cha = and Rama; baaNaughaiH = by a multitude of arrows; vanamiva = as the forest; (is scorched); diiptaiH = by blazing; agribhiH = fires; adya = today; samtarpayiSyaami = I shall satiate; pR^ithiviim = the earth; kapishoNitaiH = with the blood of monkeys.
"As a forest is consumed by blazing fires, so shall I scorch that army of monkeys now along with Lakshmana and Rama with a multitude of arrows. Today, I shall satiate the earth with the blood of the monkeys."
स;एवम् उक्त्वा ज्वलन प्रकाशम् |
रथम् तुरम्ग उत्तम राजि युक्तम् |
प्रकाशमानम् वपुषा ज्वलन्तम् |
समारुरोह अमर राज शत्रुह् || ६-५९-७
7. evam = thus; uktvaa = speaking; saH = that Ravana; amararaaja shatruH = the enemy of Indra the king of celestials; samaaruroha = ascended; ratham = his chariot; jvalanaprakaasham = shining like a flame; turangottama raajiyuktam = yoked to a row of the best of horses; jvalantam = and blazing; prakaashamaanam = with an effulgent; vapuSaa = body.
Speaking thus, Ravana the enemy of the Lord of celestials ascended his chariot which shone like a flame and was yoked to a team of excellent horses with its brilliance of an effulgent body.
स शन्ख भेरी पटह प्रणादैर् |
आस्फोटित क्ष्वेडित सिम्ह नादैह् |
पुण्यैह् स्तवैश् च अप्य् अभिपूज्यमानस् |
स्तदा ययौ राक्षस राज मुख्यह् || ६-५९-८
8. tadaa = then; saH = Ravana; raakSasa raajamukhyaH = the best among the kings of demons; yayau = sallied forth; shaN^khabherii paNava praNaadaiH = with the sound of couches; kettle-drums and cymbals; aasphoTita kSveDitaa simhanaadaiH = clapping of hands and leonine roars; supuujyamaanaH = and well acclaimed; puNyaiH = by agreeable; stavaishchaapi = encomiums.
Ravana the best among the kings of demons sallied forth with the sound of couches, kettle-drums, cymbals, clapping of hands and leonine roars and well-acclaimed by agreeable encomiums.
स नीलजीमूतनिकाशरूपै |
र्मांस अशनैह् पावक दीप्त नेत्रैह् |
बभौ वृतो राक्षस राज मुख्यैर् |
भूतैर् वृतो रुद्र;इव अमर ईशह् || ६-५९-९
9. saH = that; raakSasaraajamukhyaH = Ravana; maamshaasanaiH vR^itau = amidst the meat-eating demons; niilajiimuuta nikaasharuupaiH = whose forms resembled mountains and clouds; paavaka diipta netraiH = and whose glances flashed like torches; babhau = shone; rudraH iva = like Rudra; amareshaH = the Lord of immortals; vR^itaH = surrounded; bhuutaiH = by genii.
That Ravana along with the flesh-eating demons whose forms resembled mountains and clouds and whose glances flashed like torches shone like Rudra the Lord of Immortals surrounded by genii.
ततो नगर्याह् सहसा महा ओजा |
निष्क्रम्य तद् वानर सैन्यम् उग्रम् |
महा अर्णव अभ्र स्तनितम् ददर्श |
समुद्यतम् पादप शैल हस्तम् || ६-५९-१०
10. tataH = then; mahaujaaH = Ravana who was endowed with extraordinary energy; niSkramya = issuing; sahasaa = all at once; nagaryaaH = from the city; dadarsha = observed; tat = that; ugram vaanara sainyam = ferocious army of monkeys; paadapa shaila hastam = with trees and rocks in their hands; samudyatam = ready for combat; mahaarNavaabhra sanitam = roaring like a vast ocean and a mass-of thunder-clouds.
Ravana who was endowed with extraordinary energy, issuing all at once from the city, observed a ferocious army of monkeys with trees and rocks in their hands, ready for combat and roaring like a vast ocean and a mass of thunder-clouds.
तद् राक्षस अनीकम् अतिप्रचण्डम् |
आलोक्य रामो भुजग इन्द्र बाहुह् |
विभीषणम् शस्त्रभृताम् वरिष्ठम् |
उवाच सेना अनुगतह् पृथु श्रीह् || ६-५९-११
11. aalokya = seeing; tat = that; raakSasaaniikam = army of demons; atiprachaN^Dam = exessively furious; raamaH = Rama; bhujagendra baahuH- whose arms resembled great serpents; sevaanagataH = accompanied by his forces; pR^ithushrii = and having great fortune; uvaacha = spoke; vibhiiSaNam = to Vibhishana; variSTham = the best; shastra bhR^itaam = among the wielders of weaponry.
Seeing that army of demons who were excessively furious, Rama whose arms resembled great serpents, accompanied by his forces and having great fortune, spoke to Vibhishana the best among the wielders of weapons (as follows):
नाना पताका ध्वज शस्त्र जुष्टम् |
प्रास असि शूल आयुध चक्र जुष्टम् |
सैन्यम् नग इन्द्र उपम नाग जुष्टम् |
कस्य इदम् अक्षोभ्यम् अभीरु जुष्टम् || ६-५९-१२
12. kasya = whose; sainyam = army; idam = is this; naanaapataaka dhvajachhatrajuSTam = furnished with every kind of standard; banner and canopy; praasaasishuulaayudha shastra juSTam = armed with javelins; swords; stakes and other weapons and missiles; abhiirujuSTam = presenting fear-less soldiers; akSobhyam = and imperturbable; mahendropama naagajuSTam = with elephants as high as the Mahendra Mountain?
"Who is in command of this army, furnished with every kind of standard, banner and canopy, armed with javelins, swords, stakes and other weapons and missiles and composed of imperturbable soldiers and elephants as high as the Mahendra Mountain?"
ततस् तु रामस्य निशम्य वाक्यम् |
विभीषणह् शक्र समान वीर्यह् |
शशंस रामस्य बल प्रवेकम् |
महात्मनाम् राक्षस पुम्गवानाम् || ६-५९-१३
13. nishamya = hearing; vaakyam = the words; raamasya = of Rama; vibhiiSaNaH = Vibhishana; shakrasamaanaviirya = having a valour equal to that of Devendra the Lord of Celestials; tataH = then; shashamsa = narrated; raamasya = to Rama; balapravekam = about the choicest army; raakSasa puN^garaanaam = of the foremost among demons; mahaatmanaam = of the highest peculiarity.
Hearing the words of Rama, Vibhishana the equal of Indra in valour, then narrated to Rama about the choicest army of the foremost among demons of the highest peculiarity (as follows):
यो असौ गज स्कन्ध गतो महात्मा |
नव उदित अर्क उपम ताम्र वक्त्रह् |
प्रकम्पयन् नाग शिरो अभ्युपैति ह्य् |
अकम्पनम् त्व् एनम् अवेहि राजन् || ६-५९-१४
14. raajan = O; Prince!; mahaatmaa = that hero; yaH asau = who; navoditaarkopama taamra vaktaH = has a face with a coppery hue resembling a newly rising sun; abhyupaiti = coming; gashkandhagataH = mounted on the back of an elephant; samkampayam naagashiraH = causing the elephant's head to sway; avehi = know; enam = him; akampanam = to be Akampana.
"O Prince! That hero who has a face with a coppery hue resembling a newly rising sun, coming on the back of an elephant causing its head to sway, know him to be Akampana."
यो असौ रथस्थो मृग राज केतुर् |
धून्वन् धनुह् शक्र धनुह् प्रकाशम् |
करी इव भात्य् उग्र विवृत्त दम्ष्ट्रह् |
स;इन्द्रजिन् नाम वर प्रधानह् || ६-५९-१५
15. yaH asau = He who; rathasthaH = standing in his chariot; dhunvan = brandishing; dhanuH = his bow; shakradhanuH prakaasham = which has a splendour of Indra's bow; mR^igaraajaketuH = who standard bears the image of a lion; bhaati = and who shines; kariiva = like an elephant; ugravivR^itta damSTra = with its terrible curved tusks; saH = he; indrajitnaama = is called Indrajit; vara pradhaanaH = who is renowned for the boons (he had received from Brahma).
"He who, standing in his chariot, brandish his bow which has a splendour of Indra's bow, whose standard bears the image of a lion, and who shines like unto an elephant with its terrible curved tusks, he is Indrajit who is renowned for the boons he had received from Brahma."
यश् च एष विन्ध्य अस्त महा इन्द्र कल्पो |
धन्वी रथस्थो अतिरथो अतिवीर्यह् |
विस्फारयंश् चापम् अतुल्य मानम् |
नाम्ना अतिकायो अतिविवृद्ध कायह् || ६-५९-१६
16. yaH eSaH = he who; dhanvii = the archer; vindhyaastamahendra kalpaH = like unto the Vindhya; Asta or Mahendra Mountains; rathasthaH = standing in his chariot; atirathaH = a mighty warrior; ati viiraH = of superior strength; visphaarayan = who wields; chaapam = a bow; atlyamaanam = of unequalled size; ativivR^ddha kaayaH = having an exceedingly grown body; ayam = he; naamnaa = is named; atikaayat = as Atikaya.
"He who, the archer like unto the Vindhya, Asta or Mahendra Mountains, standing in his chariot, a mighty warrior, of superior strength, who wields a bow of unequalled size and having an exceedingly grown body, he is called Atikaya."
यो असौ नव अर्क उदित ताम्र चक्षुर् |
आरुह्य घण्टा निनद प्रणादम् |
गजम् खरम् गर्जति वै महात्मा |
महा उदरो नाम स;एष वीरह् || ६-५९-१७
17. yaH asau = he who; navaarkodita taamrachakSuH = with tawny eyes resembling the dawn; aaruhya = riding; gajam = an elephant; ghaTTaaninada praNaadam = with its bells jangling; garjati = who is shouting; kharam = aloud; sah eSaH viiraH = he is that strong demon; mahaatmaH = of the highest peculiarity; mahodaranaam = is called Mahodara.
"He who, with tawny eyes resembling the dawn, riding an elephant with its bells jangling, who is shouting aloud, he is that strong demon of the highest peculiarity is called Mahodara."
यो असौ हयम् कान्चन चित्र भाण्डम् |
आरुह्य संध्या अभ्र गिरि प्रकाशम् |
प्रासम् समुद्यम्य मरीचि नद्धम् |
पिशाच;एष अशनि तुल्य वेगह् || ६-५९-१८
18. yaH asau = he who; aaruhya = ascending; kaaNchanabhaaN^Dam = the brilliantly caparisoned; hayam = horse; samudyamya = raising high; mariichinaddham = a glearing; praasam = javelin; ashantulya vegaH = possesses a velocity of a well-directed thunder-bolt; samdhyaabhra giriprakaashaH = and resembles a mass of evening clouds a mountain; he is Pishacha."
"He who, ascending the brilliantly caparisoned horse raising high a gleaming javelin, possesses a velocity of a well-directed thunder-bolt and resembles a mass of evening clouds and a mountain, he is Pishacha."
यश् च एष शूलम् निशितम् प्रगृह्य |
विद्युत् प्रभम् किम्कर वज्र वेगम् |
वृष इन्द्रम् आस्थाय गिरि प्रकाशम् |
आयाति सो असौ त्रिशिरा यशस्वी || ६-५९-१९
19. yaH eSaH = he who; pragR^ihya = seizing; nishitam = a sharp; shuulam = spike; vidyut prabham = with a lightning brilliance; kimkara vajravegam = possesses the velocity of a thunder-bolt; aayaati = comes; aaruuhya = mounting; vR^iSendram = on an excellent bull; shashiprakaasham = which shines like a moon; asau = he; yashasvii = is the illustrious; trishiiraH = Trishiras.
"He who, seizing a sharp spike with a possesses the velocity of a well-directed thunder bolt and comes mounting on an excellent bull which shines like a moon, he is the illustrious Trishiras."
असौ च जीमूत निकाश रूपह् |
कुम्भह् पृथु व्यूढ सुजात वक्षाह् |
समाहितह् पन्नग राज केतुर् |
विस्फारयन् भाति धनुर् विधून्वन् || ६-५९-२०
20. jiimuutanikaasha ruupaH = the other resembling a thunder-bolt; pR^ithuvyuuDha sujaata vakSaaH = of large and well-developed chest; samaahitaH = who has an attentive mind; pannagavaaja ketuH = has the king of snakes as his standard; vidhuunvan = who is moving; visphaarayan = and twanging; dhanuH = the bow; asau = this is; kumbhaH = Kumbha; yaati = leading.
"The other resembling a thunder-bolt, of large and well-developed chest, who has an attentive mind, has the King of Snakes as his standard, who is moving and twanging his bow, he is Kumbha."
यश् च एष जाम्बू नद वज्र जुष्टम् |
दीप्तम् सधूमम् परिघम् प्रगृह्य |
आयाति रक्षो बल केतु भूतह् |
सो असौ निकुम्भो अद्भुत घोर कर्मा || ६-५९-२१
21. yaH eSaH = he who; pragR^ihya = holding; parigham = a mace; jaambuunadavajrajuSTam = decorated with gold and diamonds; diiptam = which are radiant (as fire); sadhuumam = and also smoky (studded with sapphires); aayaati = who advances; rakSobalaketubhuutaH = as a standard bearer to the army of demons; saH asau = he as such; nikumbhaH = is Nikumbha; adbhutaviira karmaa = of prodigious exploits.
"He who, holding a mace decorated with gold and diamonds, which are radiant (as fire) and also smoky (studded with sapphires), who advances as a standard bearer tot he army of demons, he is Nikumbha of Prodigious exploits."
यश् च एष चाप असि शर ओघ जुष्टम् |
पताकिनम् पावक दीप्त रूपम् |
रथम् समास्थाय विभात्य् उदग्रो |
नर अन्तको असौ नग शृन्ग योधी || ६-५९-२२
22. yaH eSaH = he who; samasthaaya = mounted; ratham = in a chariot; pataakinam = adorned with flags; paavaka diipta ruupam = gleaming like a glowing blazer; chaapaasisharaugha juSTam = who is furnished with bows; swords and a multitude of arrows; asau = he; naraantakaH = is Narantaka; udagraH = who shines brightly over there; naga shR^iN^gayodhii = who is combat; fights with mountain peaks.
"He who, mounted in a chariot, adorned with flags, gleaming like a glowing blazer, who is furnished with bows swords and a multitude of arrows, he is Narantaka who shines brightly over there and who, in combat, fights with mountain-tops."
यश् च एष नाना विध घोर रूपैर् |
व्याघ्र उष्ट्र नाग इन्द्र मृग इन्द्र वक्त्रैह् |
भूतैर् वृतो भाति विवृत्त नेत्रैह् |
सो असौ सुराणाम् अपि दर्प हन्ता || ६-५९-२३
यत्र एतद् इन्दु प्रतिमम् विभातिच् |
चत्त्रम् सितम् सूक्ष्म शलाकम् अग्र्यम् |
अत्र एष रक्षो अधिपतिर् महात्मा |
भूतैर् वृतो रुद्र;इव अवभाति || ६-५९-२४
23; 24. yaH eSaH = He who; vR^itaH = (appears) surrounded by; bhuutaiH naanaa vidhaghoraruupaiH = ghosts of dreadful form; vivR^itta netraiH = of rolling eyes; vyaaghroSTra naagendra mR^igaashvavaktraiH = with heads of tigers; buffalo; mighty elephants; deer and horses; sitam chhatram = under a white canopy; agrayam = which was excellent; suukSmashalaakam = with slender ribs; yatra etat = where it is; vibhaati = shining; indupratimam = like moon; yaH asau = he who; darpahantaa = is the humbler; suraaNaamapi = of the gods themselves; vibhaati = shining; rudraH iva = like unto Rudra; vR^itaH = amidst; bhuutaiH = the genii; eSaH = he; tatra = there; mahaatmaa = is the suzerain; rakSodhipatiH = lord of the demons.
"He who, surrounded by ghosts of dreadful form of rolling eyes, with heads of tigers, buffalo mighty elephants, deer and horses, under an excellent white canopy with slender ribs and shining like a moon, he who is the humbler of the gods themselves, shining like unto Rudra amidst the genii, is the suzerain Lord of Demons there."
असौ किरीटी चल कुण्डल आस्यो |
नाग इन्द्र विन्ध्य उपम भीम कायह् |
महा इन्द्र वैवस्वत दर्प हन्ता |
रक्षो अधिपह् सूर्य;इव अवभाति || ६-५९-२५
25. rakSodhipaH = Ravana; kiriiTii = decked with diadem; hantaa = who has brought Indra the Lord of Celestials and Vaivasvata the Lord of Death low; avabhaati = is shining; suuryaH iva = like the sun; chalakuN^DalaasyaH = his countenance is graced by swinging ear-rings; nagendra vindhyopama bhiima kaayaH = his formidable stature equals the Vindhya the Lord of Mountains.
"Ravana, decked with a diadem, who has brought Indra the Lord of celestials and Vaivasvata the Lord of Death low, is shining like the sun. His countenance is graced by ear-rings. His formidable stature equals the Vindhya the Lord of Mountains."
प्रत्युवाच ततो रामो विभीषणम् अरिम् दमम् |
अहो दीप्तो महा तेजा रावणो राक्षस ईश्वरह् || ६-५९-२६
26. tataH = then; raamaH = Rama; arindamaH = the anihilator of enemies; pratyuvaacha = answered; vibhiiSaNam = Vibhishana (and said); aho = Alas!; kiipta mahaa tejaaH = what glory; what exceeding majesty; raavaNaH = is Ravana's; raakSasesvaraH = the Lord of Demons!.
Then, Rama the annihilator of enemies, answered Vibhishana and said "Alas! What glory, what majesty is Ravana's the Lord of Demons!
आदित्य;इव दुष्प्रेक्ष्यो रश्मिभिर् भाति रावणह् |
सुव्यक्तम् लक्षये ह्य् अस्य रूपम् तेजह् समावृतम् || ६-५९-२७
27. raavaNaH = Ravana; bhaati = is beaming; aadityaH iva = like the Sun; rashmibhiH = with his rays; duSprekSyaH = and difficult to be gazed; na lakSyate hi = neither can the eye rest indeed; asya = on his; ruupam = form; vyaktam = fully manifested; tejaH samaavR^itam = as is covered by magnificence!.
"Ravana is beaming like the sun with his rays difficult to be gazed, neither can the eye rest on him such is the binding strength of his magnificence!"
देव दानव वीराणाम् वपुर् न एवम् विधम् भवेत् |
यादृशम् राक्षस इन्द्रस्य वपुर् एतत् प्रकाशते || ६-५९-२८
28. vapuH = the body; devadaanavaviiraaNaam = of celestial or demoniacal heroes; na bhavet viraajite = may not be so radiant; evam vidham = in ths way; yaadR^isham = as; etat = this; vapuH = body; raakSasendrasya = of the king of ogres.
"The body of celestial or demonical heroes may not be so radiant in this manner as this body of the king of demons."
सर्वे पर्वत सम्काशाह् सर्वे पर्वत योधिनह् |
सर्वे दीप्त आयुध धरा योधश् च अस्य महा ओजसह् || ६-५९-२९
29. sarve = all; yodhaaH = the warriors; asya mahaatmanaH = of the suzerian Lord of demons; parvata sankaashaah = are as high as hills; sarve = all; parvatayodhinaH = fight with mountains; sarve = all; diiptaayudhadharaaH = wield fiery weapons.
"All the warriors of the suzerain Ravana are as high as hills. All fight with mountains. All wield fiery weapons."
भाति राक्षस राजो असौ प्रदीप्तैर् भीम विक्रमैह् |
भूतैह् परिवृतस् तीक्ष्णैर् देहवद्भिर् इव अन्तकह् || ६-५९-३०
30. parivR^itaiH = amidst; tiikSNaiH = the fiery; bhuutaiH = ghosts; bhiimadarshanaiH = of terrible aspect; asau = this; rakSoraajaH = king of demons; bhaati = shines; antakaH iva = like the Lord of Death; (surrounded by); pradiiptaiH = blazing; (genii); dehavadbhiH = endowed with hideous.
"Amidst the fiery ghosts of terrible aspect, this king of demons shines like Yama the Lord of Death surrounded by blazing genii endowed with hideous forms."
दिष्ट्यायमद्य पापात्मा मम दृष्टिपथम् गतः |
अद्य क्रोधं विमोक्ष्यामि सीताहरणसम्भवम् || ६-५९-३१
31. diSTyaa = by good luck; ayam = that; paapaatmaa = wretch; gataH = comes; adya = today; mama = within my; dR^iSTipatham = range of sight!; vimokSyaami = I shall expunge; krodham = my wrath; siitaaharaNa sambhavam = born of Seetha's abduction!
"By good luck, that wretch comes today within my range of sight! Today, I shall expunge my wrath, born of Seetha's abduction!"
एवम् उक्त्वा ततो रामो धनुर् आदाय वीर्यवान् |
लक्ष्मण अनुचरस् तस्थौ समुद्धृत्य शर उत्तमम् || ६-५९-३२
32. uktvaa = having spoken; evam = thus; viiryavaan = the valiant; raamaH = Rama; lakSmaNaanucharaH = who was accompanied by Lakshmana; aadaaya = took up; dhanuH = his bow; tataH = and then; tasthau = standing erect; samuddR^itya = drew out; sharottamam = and excellent arrow.
Having spoken thus, the valiant Rama who was accompanied by Lakshmana, took up his bow and then standing erect, drew out an excellent arrow.
ततह् स रक्षो अधिपतिर् महात्मा |
रक्षांसि तान्य् आह महा बलानि |
द्वारेषु चर्या गृह गोपुरेषु |
सुनिर्वृतास् तिष्ठत निर्विशन्काह् || ६-५९-३३
33. tataH = thereafter; saH = that; mahaatmaa = powerful; rakSodhipatiH = Ravana; aaha = spoke; taani = to those; mahaabalaani = exceedingly strong; rakSaamsi = demons (as follows); tiSThata = stay; nirvishaNkaaH = without hesitation; sunirvR^itaaH = and very happily; dvaareSu = at the gates; charyaagR^iha gopureSu = and principal exists; the outposts and fortifications.
Thereafter, that powerful Ravana spoke to those exceedingly strong demons as follows: "Take up your positions unfalteringly and happily at the gates and principal exits, the outposts and fortifications."
इहागतम् माम् सहितम् भवद्भि |
र्वनौकसश्चिद्रमित्दम् विदित्वा |
शून्याम् पुरीम् दुष्प्रसहाम् प्रमथ्य |
प्रधर्षयेयुः सहसा समेताः || ६-५९-३४
34. viditvaa = hearing; maam = of my; aagatam = having come; iha = here; sahitam = with; bhavadbhiH = you; (taking); idam = this; chhidram = to be a weak point; pramathya = and storming; shuunyaam = this desolate; purrim = city; duSprasahaam = which is otherwise difficult to be overpowered; pradharSayeyuH = may destroy it; sahasaa = by surprise.
"Learning of my presence along with you here, taking this to be a weak point and storming this desolate city which is otherwise difficult to be overpowered, the monkeys when united may destroy it by surprise."
विसर्जयित्वा सहसा ततस् तान् |
गतेषु रक्षह्सु यथानियोगम् |
व्यदारयद् वानर सागर ओघम् |
महा झषह् पूर्मम् इव अर्णव ओघम् || ६-५९-३५
35. vusarhautvaa = having dismissed; taan = those; sachivaan = counsellors; rakSasuH = and the demons; tataH = thereafter; gateSu = departed; yathaa niyogam = as ordered; vyadaarayat = Ravana began to split asunder; arNavaugham = as the waters of the sea; vaanarasaagaraugham = the sea of monkeys; mahaajhaSaH = in the way as a gigantic fish; mahaajhaSaH = in the way as a gigantic fish; (would rend); puurNam = the entire (expanse of the sea)
Having dismissed those counsellors and as the demons departed as ordered, Ravana thereafter began to split under the waters of the sea of monkeys, in the same way as a gigantic fish would rend the entire expanse of the sea.
तम् आपतन्तम् सहसा समीक्ष्य |
दीप्त इषु चापम् युधि राक्षस इन्द्रम् |
महत् समुत्पाट्य मही धर अग्रम् |
दुद्राव रक्षो अधिपतिम् हरि ईशह् || ६-५९-३६
36. samiikSa = seeing; raakSasendram = Ravana; diipteSu chaapam = with his radiant bow; aapatantam = advancing; sahasaa = suddenly; yudhi = in the battle; hariishaH = Sugreeva the Lord of Monkeys; samutpaaTya = tearing up; mahat = a huge; mahiidharaagram = mountain-top; dudraava = and ran; rakSodhipam = towards that king of demons.
Seeing Ravana with his radiant bow, in the battle, Sugreeva the Lord of Monkeys tearing up a huge mountain-top, ran towards that king of demons.
तत् शैल शृन्गम् बहु वृक्ष सानुम् |
प्रगृह्य चिक्षेप निशा चराय |
तम् आपतन्तम् सहसा समीक्ष्य |
बिभेद बाणैस् तपनीय पुन्खैह् || ६-५९-३७
37. pragR^ihya = (Sugreeva) seizing; tat = that; shaila shR^iN^gam = mountain-top; bahu vR^ikSasaanum = with its many trees and ridges; chikSepa = hurled; nishaacharaaya = on Ravana the demon; samiikSya = seeing; tam = that mountain-top; aapatantam = approaching; (Ravana) sahasaa = quickly; chichchheda = broke it asunder; baaNaiH = with his arrows; tapaniiya puNkhaiH = with golden shafts.
Seizing a mountain-top with its many trees and ridges, Sugreeva hurled it on Ravana the demon. Seeing that mountain-top coming towards him, Ravana quickly broke it asunder with his arrows with golden shafts.
तस्मिन् प्रवृद्ध उत्तम सानु वृक्षे |
शृन्गे विकीर्णे पतिते पृथिव्याम् |
महा अहि कल्पम् शरम् अन्तक आभम् |
समाददे राक्षस लोक नाथह् || ६-५९-३८
38. tasmin = (While) that; shR^iN^ge = mountain-top; pravR^iddhottama saanuvR^ikSe = with its well-developed ridges and excellent trees; vidiirNe = was split asunder; patite = and fell; pR^ithivyaam = on earth; raakSasa lokanaathaH = Ravana; antakaabham = like unto another Yama the Lord of Death; samaadadhe = loosed; sharam = an arrow; mahaahi kalpam = resembling a great serpent.
While that mountain-top with its well-developed ridges and excellent trees was rent asunder and fell on the earth, Ravana like unto another Yama the Lord of Death, loosed an arrow resembling a great serpent.
स तम् गृहीत्वा अनिल तुल्य वेगम् |
सविस्फुलिन्ग ज्वलन प्रकाशम् |
बाणम् महा इन्द्र अशनि तुल्य वेगम् |
चिक्षेप सुग्रीव वधाय रुष्टह् || ६-५९-३९
39. saH = that Ravana; ruSTaH = enraged; gR^ihiitvaa = taking; tam baaNam = that arrow; ashanitulyavegam = with a speed equal to a thunder-bolt; savisphulinga jvalanprakaasham = possessing the brilliance of a fire; mahendraashami tulyavegam = and with a velocity of the thunder-bolt of Indra the Lord of celestials; chikSepa = hurled it; sugriiva vadhaaya = to kill Sugreeva.
The enraged Ravana, taking that arrow with the speed of a thunder bolt of Indra the Lord of celestials and possessing the brilliance of a fire, hurled it to kill Sugreeva.
स सायको रावण बाहु मुक्तह् |
शक्र अशनि प्रख्य वपुह् शित अग्रह् |
सुग्रीवम् आसाद्य बिभेद वेगाद् |
गुह ईरिता क्रौचम् इव उग्र शक्तिह् || ६-५९-४०
40. saH paayakaH = that arrow; raavaNo baahumuktaH = released by Ravana's arm; aasaadya = reached sugriivam = Sugreeva; shakraashaniprakhya vapuH prakaasham = having a bodily splendour equal to that of Indra's thunder-bolt; bibheda = and pierced; (his body); vegaat = in its flight; guheritaa ugrashaktiH = as formerly Guha's spear; (When he discharged it); krounchamiva = at the Krauncha Mountain.
That arrow released by Ravana's arm reached Sugreeva, having a bodily splendour equal to that of Indra's thunder bolt, and pierced his body in its flight as formerly Guha's spear when he discharged it at the Krauncha Mountain.
स सायक आर्तो विपरीत चेताह् |
कूजन् पृथिव्याम् निपपात वीरह् |
तम् प्रेक्ष्य भूमौ पतितम् विसम्ज्मम् |
नेदुह् प्रहृष्टा युधि यातु धानाह् || ६-५९-४१
41. saayakaartaH = wounded by that arrow; vipariitachctaaH = which bereft him of consciousness; saH viiraH = that warrior; nipataata = fell; kuujaan = moaning; pR^ithivyaam = to the earth; viikSya = beholding; tam = him; patitam = falling; bhuumau = on the ground; visamjJNam = deprived of his senses; yudhi = in battle; yaatu dhaanaaH = the demons; neduH = raised a shout; prahR^iSTaaH = of joy.
Wounded by that arrow, which bereft him of consciousness, that warrior fell moaning to the earth. Beholding him falling on the ground, deprived of his senses in the battle-field, the demons raised a shout of triumph.
ततो गव अक्षो गवयह् सुदम्ष्ट्रस् |
तथा ऋषभो ज्योति मुखो नलश् च |
शैलान् समुद्यम्य विवृद्ध कायाह् |
प्रदुद्रुवुस् तम् प्रति राक्षस इन्द्रम् || ६-५९-४२
42. tataH = then; gavaakSaH = Gavaksha; gavayaH = Gavaya; suSeNaH = Sushena; atha = and; R^iSabhaH = Rishabha; jyotimukhaH = Jyotimukha; nalashcha = and Nala; vivR^iddha kaayaaH = of exceeding corpulence; samupaaTya = hearing up; shailaan = rocks; pradudruvuH = rushed; tam raakSasendram prati = towards that Ravana.
Then, Gavaksha, Gavaya, Sushena, Rishabha, Jyotimukha and Nala; of exceeding corpulence tearing up rocks, rushed towards Ravana.
तेषाम् प्रहारान् स चकार मेघान् |
रक्षो अधिपो बाण गणैह् शित अग्रैह् |
तान् वानर इन्द्रान् अपि बाण जालैर् |
बिभेद जाम्बू नद चित्र पुन्खैह् || ६-५९-४३
43. saH rakSodhipaH = that Lord of Demons; baaNashataiH = with hundreds of arrows; shitaagraiH = possessed of sharp points; chakaara = rendered; teSaam = their; prahaaraan = projectiles; moghaan = fruitless; bibheda = and pierced; taan = those; vaanarendraanapi = leaders of the monkeys; baaNajaalaiH = with a multitute of arrows; jaambuunada chitra puNkhaiH = which were marvellously golden shafted.
That Lord of Demons, with hundreds of arrows, possessed of sharp points, rendered their projectiles fruitless and pierced those leaders of the monkeys with a multitude of marvellous golden shafted arrows.
ते वानर इन्द्रास् त्रिदश अरि बाणैर् |
भिन्ना निपेतुर् भुवि भीम रूपाह् |
ततस् तु तद् वानर सैन्यम् उग्रम् |
प्रच्चादयाम् आस स बाण जालैह् || ६-५९-४४
44. bhinnaaH = split up; tridashaaribaaNaiH = by the arrows of Ravana the Enemy of the Gods; te vaanarendraaH = those monkey-leaders; bhiima kaayaaH = of terrifying stature; nipetuH = fell; bhuvi = on the ground; tataH = thereafter; saH = he; prachchhaadayaamaasa = covered; tat = that; ugram = formidable; vaanarasainyam = army of monkeys; baaNa jaalaiH = with shower of arrows.
Pierced by the arrows of Ravana the Enemy of Gods, those monkey-Generals of terrifying stature fell on the ground. Thereupon, he covered that formidable army of monkeys with a shower of arrows.
ते वध्यमानाह् पतित अग्र्य वीरा |
नानद्यमाना भय शल्य विद्धाह् |
शाखा मृगा रावण सायक आर्ता |
जग्मुह् शरण्यम् शरणम् स्म रामम् || ६-५९-४५
45. vadhyamaanaH = assailed; patitaaH = and fallen down; te shaakhaamR^igaaH = those monkeys; viiraaH = the warriors; naandyamaanaaH = emitted cries; bhaya shalya viddhaaH = as though struck by an arrow of terror; raavaNa saaya kaartaaH = whom Ravana was destroying with his darts; jagmuHsma = fled; sharaNam = for refuge; raamam = to Rama; sharaNyam = who affords protection.
Assailed and fallen down, those monkey-warriors, emitted cries as though struck by an arrow of terror, whom Ravana was destroying with his darts and fled for refuge to Rama who is capable of affording protection to all.
ततो महात्मा स धनुर् धनुष्मान् |
आदाय रामह् सहरा जगाम |
तम् लक्ष्मणह् प्रान्जलिर् अभ्युपेत्य |
उवाच वाक्यम् परम अर्थ युक्तम् || ६-५९-४६
46. tataH = then; mahaatmaa = the high-souled; saH raamaH = Rama; dhanuSmaan = the skillful archer; aadaaya = taking; dhanuH = his bow; jagaama = set ou; sahasaa = at once; lakSmaNaH = Lakshmana; abhyupetya = approaching; tam = him; praaJNaliH = with joined palms; uvaacha = spoke; vaakyam = (the following) words; paramaarthayuktam = which were very meaningful.
Then the high-souled Rama the skilful archer, taking his bow, set out at once. Lakshmana, however, approaching him with joined palms, spoke very meaningful words follows:
कामम् आर्यह् सुपर्याप्तो वधाय अस्य दुरात्मनह् |
विधमिष्याम्य् अहम् नीचम् अनुजानीहि माम् विभो || ६-५९-४७
47. aaryaH = O; Noble Brother!; suparyaaptaH kaamam = of my own accord I am quite sufficient; vadhaaya = for killing; asya = of this Ravana; duraatmanaH = the wretched; vibho = O; Lord! aham = I; vidhamiSyaami = shall slay; etam = him; anujaaniihi = permit; maani = me.
"O, noble Brother! Of my own accord, I am able to kill this wretched Ravana. O, Lord! I shall slay him. Permit me to do so."
तम् अब्रवीन् महा तेजा रामह् सत्य पराक्रमह् |
गच्च यत्न परश् च अपि भव लक्ष्मण सम्युगे || ६-५९-४८
48. mahaatijaaH = the exceedingly powerful; satyaparaakramaH = and the truly courageous; raamaH = Rama; abraviit = spoke; tam = to that Lakshmana (as follows); gachchha = go; lakSmaNa = Lakshmana!; samyuge = and in this duel; bhava = be; yatna parashchaapi = strennous also.
The exceedingly powerful and the truly courageous Rama spoke to that Lakshmana as follows: "Go, Lakshmana and also be strenuous in this duel."
रावणो हि महा वीर्यो रणे अद्भुत पराक्रमह् |
त्रैलोक्येन अपि सम्क्रुद्धो दुष्प्रसह्यो न संशयह् || ६-५९-४९
49. raavaNaH = Ravana; mahaatejaaH = the exceedingly powerful; satyaparaakramaH = and the truly courageous; raamaH = Rama; abraviit = spoke; tam = to that Lakshmana (as follows): gachchha = go; lakSmaNa = Lakshmana!; samyuge = and in this duel; bhava = be; yatnaparashchaapi = strenuous also.
"Ravana is endowed with great strength and possesses an outstanding prowess during a war. The Three Worlds themselves could not withstand his fury. There is no doubt about it."
तस्य चिद्राणि मार्गस्व स्वच् चिद्राणि च गोपय |
चक्षुषा धनुषा यत्नाद् रक्ष आत्मानम् समाहितह् || ६-५९-५०
50. maargasya = seek out; tasya = his; chhidraaNi = weak points; lakSaya = and guard; svachchhidraaNi cha = against your own; yopaayasva = defend; aatmaanam = yourself; samaahitaH = vigilantly; chakSusaa = with eye; dhanuSaa = and bow.
"Seek out his weak points and guard against your own. Defend yourself vigilantly with your eye and bow."
राघवस्य वचह् श्रुत्वा सम्परिष्वज्य पूज्य च |
अभिवाद्य ततो रामम् ययौ सौमित्रिर् आहवम् || ६-५९-५१
51. shrutvaa = hearing; vachaH = the words; raaghavasya = of Rama; saumitriH = Lakshmana; sampariSvajya = embracing him; puujya = (thereafter) offering obeisance to him; abhivaadhya cha = and bidding farewell; raamaaya = to Rama; yayau = went; aahavam = to the battle.
Hearing the words of Rama, Lakshmana embraced him, thereafter offering obeisance and bidding him farewell, he entered the battle-field.
स रावणम् वारण हस्त बाहुर् |
ददर्श दीप्त उद्यत भीम चापम् |
प्रच्चादयन्तम् शरवृष्टि जालैस् |
तान् वानरान् भिन्न विकीर्ण देहान् || ६-५९-५२
52. saH = Lakshmana; dadarsha = saw; raavaNam = Ravana; vaaraNa hasta baahum = with arms as large as the trunks of elephants; bhiimodyatadiiptachaapam = who was brandishing his dread and fiery bow; prachchhaadayantam = bhinnavikiirNa dehaan = whose bodies he had severed; sharavR^iSTijaalaiH = with a close rain of darts.
Lakshmana then saw Ravana with arms as large as the trunks of elephants, who was brandishing his dreadful and fiery bow, covering those monkeys whose bodies he had severed with a close rain of darts.
तम् आलोक्य महा तेजा हनूमान् मारुत आत्मजा |
निवार्य शर जालानि प्रदुद्राव स रावणम् || ६-५९-५३
53. saH = that; hanumaan = Hanuma; mahaatejaaH = the exceedingly energetic one; maarutaatmajaH = born of Maruta the god of wind; aalokya = beholding; tam = that Ravana; nivaarya = in order to end; sharajaalaani = that rain of arrows; vidudraava = rushed on; raavaNam = Ravana.
The exceedingly energetic Hanuma, born of Maruta the god of wind, beholding this, rushed on Ravana in order to bring that rain of arrows to an end.
रथम् तस्य समासाद्य भुजम् उद्यम्य दक्षिणम् |
त्रासयन् रावणम् धीमान् हनूमान् वाक्यम् अब्रवीत् || ६-५९-५४
54. samaasaadya = approaching; tasya = his; ratham = chariot; dhiimaan = the sagacious; hanumaan = Hanuma; udyamya = lifted; dakSiNam = his right; baahum = arm; abraviit = and spoke; vaakyam = the following words; traasayan = which wee threatening.
Approaching his chariot, the sagacious Hanuma lifted his right arm and spoke the following threatening words to Ravana:
देव दानव गन्धर्वा यक्षाश् च सह राक्षसैह् |
अवध्यत्वात् त्वया भग्ना वानरेभ्यस् तु ते भयम् || ६-५९-५५
55. praaptam = (A boon) was obtained; tvayaa = by you; avadhyam = being invulnerable; deva daanava gandharve = to celestials; demons; celestial musicians; saharaakSasaiH = along with ogres; yakSaishcha = and semi-divine beings; vaanarebhyastu = but monkeys; bhayam = are a danger; te = to you.
"You have obtained the boon of invulnerability to the celestials, demons, celestial musicians, ogres and semi-divine beings. But monkeys are a danger to you."
एष मे दक्षिणो बाहुह् पन्च शाखह् समुद्यतह् |
विधमिष्यति ते देहाद् भूत आत्मानम् चिर उषितम् || ६-५९-५६
56. eSaH paN^cha shaakhaH = this five-branched; dakSiNaH baahuH = right hand; me = of mine; samudyataH = which I now raise; vidhamiSyati = will rob you; bhuutaatmaanam = of your self consisting of elements (life); chiroSitam = that has long been resident; te = in your; dehe = body.
"This five-branched right hand of mine, which I now raise, will rob you of your life that has long been resident in your body."
श्रुत्वा हनूमतो वाक्यम् रावणो भीम विक्रमह् |
सम्रक्त नयनह् क्रोधाद् इदम् वचनम् अब्रवीत् || ६-५९-५७
57. shrutvaa = hearing; vaakyam = the words; hanumataH = of Hanuma; bhiimavikramaH = the exceedingly valiant; raavaNaH = Ravana; samrakta nayanaH = his eyes inflamed; krodhaat = with anger; abraviit = spoke; idam = these; vachanam = words.
Hearing the words of Hanuma, the exceedingly valiant Ravana, his eyes inflamed with anger, answered.
क्षिप्रम् प्रहर निह्शन्कम् स्थिराम् कीर्तिम् अवाप्नुहि |
ततस् त्वाम् ज्नाति विक्रान्तम् नाशयिष्यामि वानर || ६-५९-५८
58. prahara = strike; kSipram = quickly; niH shaNTkam = without fear; vaanara = O; Monkey!; avaapnuhi = win; sthiraam = eternal; kiirtim = renown; tataH = thereafter; naashayiSyaami = I shall destroy; tvaam = you; jJNaata vikraantam = after knowing your strength.
"Strike quickly without fear, O Monkey! Win eternal renown. Thereafter, I shall destroy you, after measuring your strength."
रावणस्य वचह् श्रुत्वा वायु सूनुर् वचो अब्रवीत् |
प्रहृतम् हि मया पूर्वम् अक्षम् स्मर सुतम् तव || ६-५९-५९
59. shrutvaa = hearing; vachaH = the words; raavaNasya = of Ravana; vaayusuumuH = Hanuma the son of wind-god; abraviit = spoke; vachaH = (the following) words; smara = recollect; tava = your; sutam = son; akSam = Aksha; puurvam = who was formerly; prahastam hi = struck (killed) already; mayaa = by me.
Hearing the words of Ravana, Hanuma the son of wind-god spoke the following words: "Recollect that I have killed your son Aksha already."
एवम् उक्तो महा तेजा रावणो राक्षस ईश्वरह् |
आजघान अनिल सुतम् तलेन उरसि वीर्यवान् || ६-५९-६०
60. evam = thus; uktaH = spoken; mahaatejaaH = the highly energetic; viiryavaan = and the valiant; raakSaseshvaraH = Ravana the Lord of Demons; aajaghaana = struck; anilasutam = Hanuma the son of Anila; urasi = on his chest; talena = with the palm of his hand.
Thus spoken, the highly energetic and the valiant Ravana the Lord of Demons struck Hanuma the son of Anila a violent blow on his chest with the palm of his hand.
स तल अभिहतस् तेन चचाल च मुहुर् मुहुह् |
आजघान अभिसम्क्रुद्धस् तलेन एव अमर द्विषम् || ६-५९-६१
आजघान च सम्क्रुद्धस्तलेनैवामरद्विषम् |
61. saH = Hanuma; talaabhihataH = thus struck with the palm; tena = of Ravana; chachaalacha = reeled; muhurmuhuH = repeatedly; mahaamatiH = the highly sagacious; tejasvii = and illustrious Hanuma; muhuurtam = within a moment; sthitaH kR^itvaa = secured; sthairyam = his balance; samkR^iddhaa = and enraged as he was; aajaghaava = struck; amaradviSam = Ravana the enemy of Immortals; talenaiva = with the very palm of his hand.
Hanuma, thus struck with Ravana's palm, reeled repeatedly. Thereafter the highly sagacious and illustrious Hanuma secured his balance within a moment and in fury, struck Ravana the enemy of Immortals with the very palm of his hand.
ततस् तलेन अभिहतो वानरेण महात्मना || ६-५९-६२
दशग्रीवह् समाधूतो यथा भूमि चले अचलह् |
62. tataH = then; dashagriivaH = Ravana; abhihataH = struck; tena vaanareNa = by that monkey; Hanuma; mahaatmanaa = the mighty; samaadhuutaH = was shaken; achalaH yathaa = like a mountain; bhuumichale = during an earth-quake.
Under the violent impact of the blow of the mighty Hanuma Ravana shook like a mountain when the earth trembles.
सम्ग्रामे तम् तथा दृष्ट्व रावणम् तल ताडितम् || ६-५९-६३
ऋषयो वानराह् सिद्धा नेदुर् देवाह् सह असुराह् |
63. dR^iSTvaa = beholding; tam raavaNam = that Ravana; tathaa = thus; talataaDitam = struck by a palm; samgraame = in the battle; R^iSayaH = the sages; vaanaraaH = monkeys; siddhaaH = semi = divine beings; asuraiH saha = along with the demons; devaaH = and celestials; neduH = made a resounding approbation.
Beholding Ravana struck in the fight by Hanuma's palm; the sages, monkeys, semi-divine beings, along with celestials and demons raised a resounding approbation.
अथ आश्वस्य महा तेजा रावणो वाक्यम् अब्रवीत् || ६-५९-६४
साधु वानर वीर्येण श्लाघनीयो असि मे रिपुह् |
64. atha = thereafter; mahaatejaaH = the extremely spirited; raavaNaH = Ravana; aashvasya = after regaining his breath; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = the following words; vaanara = O; monkey!; sadhu = well done;; well done!; viiryeNa = by your valour; asi = you are; me = my; ripuH = enemy; shlaaghaniiya = worthy of praise.
Then, the extremely spirited Ravana, having regained his breath, spoke the following words: "Well done! Well done! O, monkey! You are my adversary, worthy of praise by your valour!"
रावणेन एवम् उक्तस् तु मारुतिर् वाक्यम् अब्रवीत् || ६-५९-६५
धिग् अस्तु मम वीर्यम् तु यत् त्वम् जीवसि रावण |
65. evam = thus; uktaH = spoken; raavaNena = by Ravana; maarutiH = Hanuma; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = these words; raavaNa = O; Ravana! dhikastu = cursed be; viiryasy of my valour; yat = by which; tvam = you; jiivasi = (still) survive!
Then, Hanuma answered, "O, Ravana! Cursed by that strength since you do still survive!"
सकृत् तु प्रहर इदानीम् दुर्बुद्धे किम् विकत्थसे || ६-५९-६६
ततस् त्वाम् मामको मुष्टिर् नयिष्यामि यथा क्षयम् |
66. durbuddhe = O; foolish fellow! kim vikatthase = why do you boast of yourself?; idaaniim = now; prahara = strike (me); sakR^it = once; tataH = thereupon; maamakaH = my; muSTiH = fist; nayiSyati = will get; tvaam = you; yamakSayan = to the Abode Yama the Lord of Death!
"O, foolish fellow! Why this boasting? Now come, strike me once! My fist is about to dispatch you to the Abode of Yama the Lord of Death!"
ततो मारुति वाक्येन क्रोधस् तस्य तदा अज्वलत् || ६-५९-६७
सम्रक्त नयनो यत्नान् मुष्टिम् उद्यम्य दक्षिणम् |
पातयाम् आस वेगेन वानर उरसि वीर्यवान् || ६-५९-६८
67; 68. tataH = thereafter; maaruti vaakyena = by the words of Hanuma; tasya = Ravana's kopaH = fury; tadaa = then = then; ajvalat = was inflamed; samrakta nayanaH = with his eyes becoming red; udyanaH = and lifting; dakSiNam = his right; muSTim = fist; yatnaat = with zeal; viiryavaan = the valiant Ravana; paatayaamaasa = and knocked a blow; vegena = swiftly; vaanarorasi = on Hanuma's chest.
Hearing the words of Hanuma, the powerful Ravana, enraged, his eyes red with fury and whirling his fist with force knocked it down violently on Hanuma's chest.
हनूमान् वक्षसि व्यूधे संचचाल हतह् पुनह् |
विह्वलम् तम् तदा दृष्ट्वा हनूमन्तम् महा बलम् || ६-५९-६९
रथेन अतिरथह् शीघ्रम् नीलम् प्रति समभ्यगात् |
69. hanumaan = Hanuma; vyuuDhe vakSasi = struck on his broad chest; samchachaala = reeled; punaH punaH = again and again; dR^iSTvaa = seeing tam = that; mahaabalam = mighty; hanuumantaam = Hanuma; vihvalam = exhausted; atirathaH = Ravana; samabhyagaat = advanced; shiighram = quickly; rathena = by his chariot; niilam prati = towards Nila.
Under the shock, Hanuma reeled once again. Seeing that mighty Hanuma exhausted, Ravana turned his chariot towards Nila.
राक्षसानामधिपतिर्दशग्रीवः || ६-५९-७०
पन्नग प्रतिमैर् भीमैह् पर मर्म अतिभेदिभिह् |
शरैर् आदीपयाम् आस नीलम् हरि चमू पतिम् || ६-५९-७१
70; 71. dashagriivaH = Ravana; praataapavaan = the powerful; adhipatiH = lord; raakSasaanaam = of demons; aadiipayaamaasa = blazed up (overwhelmed); niilam = Nila; harichamuupatim = the Army-general of monkeys; bhiimaiH = with terrific; sharaiH = arrows; pannaga pratimaiH = in the likeness of serpents; para marmaadi bhedanaiH = which can pierce the vital parts of his enemy.
With his terrific arrows in the likeness of serpents, Ravana the powerful Lord of Demons pierced the vital parts of his enemy, thus overwhelming Nila the Monkey-general.
स शर ओघ समायस्तो नीलह् कपि चमू पतिह् |
करेण एकेन शैल अग्रम् रक्षो अधिपतये असृजत् || ६-५९-७२
72. saH niilaH = that Nila; harichamuupatiH = the Army general of monkeys; sharaugha samayastaH = tormented by a flood of arrows; asR^ijat = hurled; ekena = with one; kareNa = hand; shailaagram = a mountain-top; rakSodhipataye = on Ravana; the king of Demons.
Nila, the Army General of Monkeys, tormented by that hail of arrows, with one hand hurled a great rock at Ravana the king of demons.
हनूमान् अपि तेजस्वी समाश्वस्तो महा मनाह् |
विप्रेक्षमाणो युद्ध ईप्सुह् सरोषम् इदम् अब्रवीत् || ६-५९-७३
नीलेन सह सम्युक्तम् रावणम् राक्षस ईश्वरम् |
अन्येन युध्यमानस्य न युक्तम् अभिधावनम् || ६-५९-७४
73; 74. hanuumapi = Hanuma also; tejasvii = who was burning with courage; mahaamanaaH = and having exalted mind; samaashvastaH = regained his breath; yuddhepsuit = and desirous to fight; viprekSamaaNaH = beheld (on both sides); saroSam = and with fury; abraviit = spoke; idam = these words; raavaNam = to Ravana; raakSaseshvaram = the lord of demons; samsaktam = who occupied in fight; niilena saha = with Nila; nayuktam = it is not proper; abhidhaavanam = to attack; yuddhyamaanasya = a person who doing a fight; anyena = with another.
Meanwhile, Hanuma of exalted mind, burning with courage, regained his breath and in his martial ire cried out furiously towards Ravana, the Lord of Demons who occupied in fight with Nila as follows: "It is not proper to engage in a combat with a person who is already doing a fight with another."
रावणो अपि महा तेजास् तत् शृन्गम् सप्तभिह् शरैह् |
आजघान सुतीक्ष्ण अग्रैस् तद् विकीर्णम् पपात ह || ६-५९-७५
75. atha = when; mahaatejaaH = the mighty; raavaNaH = Ravana; aajaghaana = struck; tam shR^iNgam = that rock; saptabhiH sharaiH = with seven arrows; sutikSNaagraiH = having very sharp ends; tat = and it; papaata ha = fell down; vishiirNam = crumbling to pieces.
Then, the mighty Ravana, however, shattered the rock hurled by Nila with seven pointed arrows and it fell down, crumbling to pieces.
तद् विकीर्णम् गिरेह् शृन्गम् दृष्ट्वा हरि चमू पतिह् |
काल अग्निर् इव जज्वाल क्रोधेन पर वीरहा || ६-५९-७६
76. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; tat = that; shR^iN^gam = rock; vishiirNam = crumbling to pieces; chamuupatiH = the Army general; Nila; paraviirahaa = the destroyer of enemies; jajvaala = inflamed; kopena = with fury; kaalagniriva = who resembled the Fire of Time.
Seeing that rock crumbling to pieces, Nila the Army-general the destroyer of enemies who resembled the Fire of Time, glowed with fury.
सो अश्व कर्णान् धवान् सालांश् चूतांश् च अपि सुपुष्पितान् |
अन्यांश् च विविधान् वृक्षान् नीलश् चिक्षेप सम्युगे || ६-५९-७७
77. samyuge = In the battle; saH niilaH = that Nila; chikSepa = hurled; ashvakarNa drumaan = Aswakarna trees; shaalaan = Shala trees; supuSpitaan = in good flowering; chuutaanapi = Chuta trees; anyaan = and other; vividhaan = various types; vR^ikSaan = of trees.
In that fight, Nila hurled Aswakarna trees, Shala trees with extensive flowering, Chuta trees and other various types of trees.
स तान् वृक्षान् समासाद्य प्रतिचिच्चेद रावणह् |
अभ्यवर्षत् सुघोरेण शर वर्षेण पावकिम् || ६-५९-७८
78. saH raavaNaH = that Ravana; prati samaasaadya = confronting; taan = those; vR^ikSaan = trees; chichheda = bursted them; abhyavarSachcha = and showered; ghoreNa = terrific; sharavarSaNa = hail of darts; paavakim = on Nila the son of Fire-God.
Ravana, confronting those trees, bursted them and showered a hail of dangerous darts on Nila the son of Fire-God.
अभिवृष्टह् शर ओघेण मेघेन इव महा अचलह् |
ह्रस्वम् कृत्वा तदा रूपम् ध्वज अग्रे निपपात ह || ६-५९-७९
79. abhivR^iSTaH = showered (thus); sharaugheNa = by a multitude of arrows; meheneva = as from a cloud; mahaabalaH = the mighty Nila; tataH = then; kR^itvaa = made; ruupam = his form; hrasvam = short; nipapaata = and jumped on; dhvajaagre = to the top of the standard.
Showered by a multitude of shafts, as from a cloud, the mighty Nila assumed a diminutive form and leapt on to the point of Ravana's standard.
पावक आत्मजम् आलोक्य ध्वज अग्रे समवस्थितम् |
जज्वाल रावणह् क्रोधात् ततो नीलो ननाद ह || ६-५९-८०
80. aalokya = seeing; paavakaatmajam = Nila the son of Fire-God; samavasthitam = standing well; dhvajaagre = on the point of his standard; raavaNaH = Ravana; jajvaala = thereafter; niilaH = Nila; nanaada cha = shouted loudly.
Seeing Nila the son of Fire-God standing well on the point of his standard, Ravana inflamed with fury. Then, Nila shouted loudly.
ध्वज अग्रे धनुषश् च अग्रे किरीट अग्रे च तम् हरिम् |
लक्ष्मणो अथ हनूमांश् च दृष्ट्वा रामश् च विस्मिताह् || ६-५९-८१
81. dR^iSTvaa = beholding; tam harim = that monkey; dhvajaagre = on the point of Ravana's standard; agre = and on the top; kiriiTaagre cha = of his diadem; lakSmaNaH = Lakshmana; atha = and; hanumaamshcha = Hanuma; raamashcha = and Rama; vismitaaH = were surprised.
Beholding that monkey sometimes leaping on to the point of Ravana's standard sometimes on to the tip of his bow and sometimes on to the peak of his diadem, Lakshmana, Hanuma and Rama were astonished.
रावणो अपि महा तेजाह् कपि लाघव विस्मितह् |
अस्त्रम् आहारयाम् आस दीप्तम् आग्नेयम् अद्भुतम् || ६-५९-८२
82. atha = then; mahaatejaaH = the mighty; raavaNaH = Ravana; kapilaaghava vismitaH = surprised at the agility of the monkey; aahaarayaamaasa = seized; diiptam = a glowing; adbhutam = and wonderful; aagneyam astram = weapon of Fire.
The mighty Ravana, amazed at the monkey's agility, seized a marvellous and glowing arrow called Agneya the weapon of Fire.
ततस् ते चुक्रुशुर् हृष्टा लब्ध लक्ष्याह् प्लवम् गमाह् |
नील लाघव सम्भ्रान्तम् दृष्ट्वा रावणम् आहवे || ६-५९-८३
83. tataH = thereafter; te plavaN^gamaaH = those monkeys; chukrushuH = shouted; hR^iSTaaH = joyously; raavaNam = over Ravana; niilalaaghava sambhraantam = being disconcerted for Nila's agility; of his leaping about; aahave = in combat; labdhalakSaaH = finding an occasion for jubilation.
Thereafter, those monkeys who felt rejoiced to see Ravana disconcerted at the agility of Nila and had found an occasion for jubilation, shouted joyously.
वानराणाम् च नादेन सम्रब्धो रावणस् तदा |
सम्भ्रम आविष्ट हृदयो न किंचित् प्रत्यपद्यत || ६-५९-८४
84. tadaa = then; samarabhaH = provoked; naadena = by the shouts; vaanaraaNaam = of the monkeys; sambhramaaviSTa hR^idayaH = his heart possessed with confusion; pratyapadyata = did not know; kimchit = what to do.
Then, provoked by the shouts of the monkeys, his heart possessed with confusing, Ravana did not know what to do.
आग्नेयेन अथ सम्युक्तम् गृहीत्वा रावणह् शरम् |
ध्वज शीर्ष स्थितम् नीलम् उदैक्षत निशा चरह् || ६-५९-८५
85. raavaNaH = Ravana; nishaacharaH = the demons; gR^ihiitvaa = taking up; sharam = an arrow; aagneyaa = charged with the missile presided over by the Fire-God; udaikSata = aimed at; niilam = Nila; dhvajashiirSa sthitam = who had perched on the tip of his standard.
Ravana the demon, taking up an arrow, charged with the missile presided over by the fire-God, aimed at Nila who had perched on the tip of his standard.
ततो अब्रवीन् महा तेजा रावणो राक्षस ईश्वरह् |
कपे लाघव युक्तो असि मायया परया अनया || ६-५९-८६
86. tataH = then; mahaatejaaH = the mighty; raakSaseshvaraH = king of demons; raavaNaH = Ravana; abraviit = said; kape = O; monkey!; asi = you are endowed; laaghavayuktaH = with agility; paayaa maayaa saha = combined with a supreme power of magic.
Then, Ravana the king of demons said,: "O monkey! You are endowed with agility combined with a supreme power of magic."
जीवितम् खलु रक्षस्व यदि शक्नोषि वानर |
तानि तान्य् आत्म रूपाणि सृजसे त्वम् अनेकशह् || ६-५९-८७
87. vaanara = O; monkey!; tvam = you; sR^ijasi = are creating; taani taani anekashaH = numerous deeds of various kinds; aatmaruupaaNi = worthy of your own self; rakSasva khalu = Indeed save; jiivitam = your life; asi yadi = if you are; shaktaH = capable.
"Do you save your life if you can, eventhogh you are creating numerous deeds of various kinds indeed worthy of your own self, O, monkey!"
तथा अपि त्वाम् मया मुक्तह् सायको अस्त्र प्रयोजितह् |
जीवितम् परिरक्षन्तम् जीविताद् भ्रंशयिष्यति || ६-५९-८८
88. tathaapi = even then; saayakaH = the arrow; astraprayojitaH = charged with a mystic missile; mutaH = that is about to be loosened; mayaa = by me; bhramshayiSyati = will severe; tvaam = you; jiivitaat = from life; jiivitam = which existence; parirakSantam = you seek to preserve.
"Even then, the arrow charged with a mystic missile I am about to loose, will severe you from life, which existence you seek to preserve."
एवम् उक्त्वा महा बाहू रावणो राक्षस ईश्वरह् |
संधाय बाणम् अस्त्रेण चमू पतिम् अताडयत् || ६-५९-८९
89. evam = thus; uktvaa = speaking; raavaNaH = Ravana; raavaNashvaraH = the King of Demons; mahaabaahuH = having mighty arms; samdhaaya = having placed; astreNa = Agni missile; baaNam = with his arrow; ataaDayat = struck; chamuupatim = Nila the Army-General.
Thus speaking, Ravana the long-armed King of Demons, having placed Agni Missile with his arrow, struck Nila the Army-General.
सो अस्त्र युक्तेन बाणेन नीलो वक्षसि ताडितह् |
निर्दह्यमानह् सहसा निपपात मही तले || ६-५९-९०
90. taaDitaH = Struck; vakSasi = on the chest; baaNena = by the arrow; astrayuktena = combined with a missile; niilaH = Nila; nirdahyamaanaH = being burnt all over; sahasaa = suddenly; nipapaata = fell; mahiitale = to the ground.
Struck on the chest by the arrow combined with a missile, Nila being burnt all over, suddenly fell to the ground.
पितृ माहात्म्य सम्योगाद् आत्मनश् च अपि तेजसा |
जानुभ्याम् अपतद् भूमौ न च प्राणैर् व्ययुज्यत || ६-५९-९१
91. tu = yet; pitR^imahaatmaya samyogaat = by virtue of the powerful aid of his own; tejasaachaapi = native vigour; nyapatat = though brought; jaanubhyaam = to his knees; bhuumau = on to the earth; navyayujyata = he was not deprived; praaNaiH = of his life.
Yet by virtue of the powerful aid of his father and his own native vigour, though brought to his knees on to the earth, he was not deprived of his life.
विसम्ज्नम् वानरम् दृष्ट्वा दशग्रीवो रण उत्सुकह् |
रथेन अम्बुद नादेन सौमित्रिम् अभिदुद्रुवे || ६-५९-९२
92. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; vaanaram = Nila; visamJNam = becoming unconscious; dashagriivaH = Ravana; raNotsukaH = eager for fight; abhidudruve = rushed; saumitrim = on Lakshmana; rathena = by his chariot; ambudanaadena = which sounded like a cloud.
Seeing Nila unconscious, Ravana, eager for fight, in his chariot whose rattling sounded like thunder-clouds, rushed on Lakshmana.
आसाद्य रणमध्ये तं वारैत्वा स्थितो ज्वलन् |
धनुर्विष्फारयामास राक्षसेन्द्रः प्रतापवान् || ६-५९-९३
93. prataapavaan = the powerful; raakSasendraH = Ravana; the king of demons; aasaadya = approached; tam = that Lakshmana; raNamadhye = in the middle of the battle-field; vaarayitvaa = preventing him to go forward; sthitaH = and standing there; jvalan = blazing; visphaarayaamaasa = lifted up; dhanuH = his bow.
Coming to the centre of the battle-field, the powerful Ravana the King of Demons prevented Lakshmana to go forward, halted, standing there in his glory and lifted up his bow.
तम् आह सौमित्रिर् अदीन सत्त्वो |
विस्फारयन्तम् धनुर् अप्रमेयम् |
अभेहि माम् एव निशा चर इन्द्र |
न वानरांस् त्वम् प्रति योद्धुम् अर्हसि || ६-५९-९४
94. saumitriH = Lakshmana; adiinasattvaH = of indomitable courage; aaha = spoke tam = to that Ravana; visphaarayantam = who was lifting up; aprameyam = his unfathomable; dhanuH = bow; nishaacharendra = O; king of Demons!; abhyehi = come; maam = towards me; tvam = you; naarhasi = ought not; pratiyoddhum = to fight against; vaanaraan = the monkeys.
Lakshmana of indomitable courage spoke to that Ravana who was lifting up his unfathomable bow (as follows): "O, King of Demons! Now enter into combat with me; cease from fighting with the monkeys!"
स तस्य वाक्यम् परिपूर्ण घोषम् |
ज्या शब्दम् उग्रम् च निशम्य राजा |
आसाद्य सौमित्रिम् अवस्थितम् तम् |
कोप अन्वितम् वाक्यम् उवाच रक्षह् || ६-५९-९५
95. nishamya = hearing; tasya = Lakshmana's; vaakyam = words; ugram = like the terrible; jyaashabdam = sound of the bow-string; pratipuurNaghoSam = full of up-roar; aasaadya = approached; tam saumitrim = that Lakshmana; upasthitam = who came nearer; uvaacha = and spoke; roSaanvitam = with furious; vaacham = words (as follows):
Hearing that marvellously modulated voice that resounded like the twanging of a bow-string, Ravana drawing near his adversary, who stood close to his chariot, answered in anger:
दिष्ट्या असि मे राघव दृष्टि मार्गम् |
प्राप्तो अन्त गामी विपरीत बुद्धिह् |
अस्मिन् क्षणे यास्यसि मृत्यु देशम् |
संसाद्यमानो मम बाण जालैह् || ६-५९-९६
96. raaghava = O; Lakshmana!; diSTyaa = by my good fortune; antagaamii = you; to meet your death; vipariita buddhiH = and in your perverted mind; praaptaH = have reached; me = my; dR^iSTimaargam = range of sight; asmin = this; kSaNe = very instant; yaasyasi = you will go; samsaadyamaanaH = after having collapsed; mR^ityulokam = to the region of death; mama = by me; baaNa jaaliH = rain of arrows.
"O, Lakshmana! By my good fortune, you in your perverted mind, reached within my range of sight so as to meet your death. This very instant, you will go to the region of Death, after having collapsed by the bang of my rain of arrows."
तम् आह सौमित्रिर् अविस्मयानो |
गर्जन्तम् उद्वृत्त सित अग्र दम्ष्ट्रम् |
राजन् न गर्जन्ति महा प्रभावा |
विकत्थसे पापकृताम् वरिष्ठ || ६-५९-९७
97. saumitriH = Lakshmana; avismayaanaH = being unsurprised; aaha = spoke; tam = to that Ravana; garjantam = who was roaring; udvR^itta sitaagradamSTram = with his protruding and sharp teeth; raajan = O; King; variSTha = the foremost; paapakR^itaam = of evil-doers; vikatthase = you are boasting of yourself!; mahaaprabhaavaaH = greatly dignified ones; nagarjanti = do not roar.
Then, Lakshmana, unmoved spoke to that Ravana who was roaring with his sharp and protruding teeth (as follows): "Greatly dignified ones eschew bragging! O, the foremost of evil-doers! You are sounding your own praises!"
जानामि वीर्यम् तव राक्षस इन्द्र |
बलम् प्रतापम् च पराक्रमम् च |
अवस्थितो अहम् शर चाप पाणिर् |
आगच्च किम् मोघ विकत्थनेन || ६-५९-९८
98. raakSasendra = O; King of demons!; jaanaami = I know; tava = your; viiryam = valour; balam = strength; prataapamcha = energy; paraakramamcha = and courage; aham = I; avasthitaH = stand here; sharachaapa paaNiH = with my bow and arrows in hand; aagachchha = come; kim = what is the use; moghavikatthanena = of boasting in vain?
"O, King of Demons! I know your valour, strength, energy and courage! Come! I now stand here, with my bow and arrows in hand. O what use are vain boasts."
स;एवम् उक्तह् कुपितह् ससर्ज |
रक्षो अधिपह् सप्त शरान् सुपुन्खान् |
ताम्ल् लक्ष्मणह् कान्चन चित्र पुन्खैश् |
चिच्चेद बाणैर् निशित अग्र धारैह् || ६-५९-९९
99. evam = thus; uktaH = spoken; saH rakSodhipaH = the king of Demons; kupitaH = being enraged; sasarja = loosened; sapta = seven; sharaan = arrows; supuNkhaan = with good shafts; lakSmaNaH = Lakshmana; chichchheda = broke; taan = them; baaNaiH = with his arrows; kaanchanachitra puNkhaiH = bearing beautiful golden shafts; nishitaagra dhaaraiH = and having sharp ends and edges.
Thus accosted, the King of Demons, infuriated, loosened seven marvellously plumed arrows which Lakshmana shattered with his beautiful golden-shafted arrows of sharp ends and edges.
तान् प्रेक्षमाणह् सहसा निकृत्तान् |
निकृत्त भोगान् इव पन्नग इन्द्रान् |
लन्का ईश्वरह् क्रोध वशम् जगाम |
ससर्ज च अन्यान् निशितान् पृषत्कान् || ६-५९-१००
100. prekSamaaNaH = beholding; taan = those arrows; nikR^ittaan = shattered; sahasaa = promptly; pannagendraamiva = like great cobras; nikR^ita bhogaan = with their hoods shattered; laN^keshvaraH = Ravana; jagaama = got; krodhavasham- into clutches of anger; sasarja = and loosened; anyam = other; nishitaan = sharp; pR^iSatkaan = arrows.
Beholding those arrows shattered like great cobras with their hoods shattered, Ravana got angry and loosened other sharp arrows.
स बाण वर्षम् तु ववर्ष तीव्रम् |
राम अनुजह् कार्मुक सम्प्रयुक्तम् |
क्षुर अर्ध चन्द्र उत्तम कर्णि भल्लैह् |
शरांश् च चिच्चेद न चुक्षुभे च || ६-५९-१०१
101. saH raamaanujaH = that Lakshmana; vavarSa = rained; tiivram = a severe; baaNa varSam = shower of arrows; kaarmuka samprayuktam = employed by his bow; chichchheda = and broke; sharaan cha = Ravana's arrows; kSuraardhachandraottama karNibhallaiaH = with his arrows called Kshura; Ardhachandra; the excellent Karni and Bhalla; na chukSudha cha = He did not feel perturbed.
Lakshmana, however, caused a well-aimed rain of missiles from his bow to fall on Ravana and nay, even broke Ravana's arrows with his arrows called Khura, Ardhachandra, the excellent Karni and Bhalla. He did not feel perturbed.
स बाणजालान्यपि तानि तानि |
मोघानि पश्यांस्त्रिदशारिराजः |
विसिस्मिये लक्ष्मणलाघवेन |
पुनश्च बाणान्निशितान्मुमोच || ६-५९-१०२
102. pashyam = seeing; taani taani = his various; baaNa jaalaani = sets of arrows; moghaani = becoming vain; saH = that; tridashaariraajaH = king of those hostile to Gods; visismiye = was astonished; lakSmaNa laaghavena = at Lakshmana's skill; punaH cha = and once more; mumocha = released; nishitaan = sharp; baaNaan = arrows.
Seeing his successive arrows proving in vain, Ravana the King of those hostile to Gods was astonished at Lakshmana's skill and released more whetted shafts upon him.
स लक्ष्मणश् च आशु शरान् शित अग्रान् |
महा इन्द्र वज्र अशनि तुल्य वेगान् |
संधाय चापे ज्वलन प्रकाशान् |
ससर्ज रक्षो अधिपतेर् वधाय || ६-५९-१०३
103. saH = that; lakSmaNashchaapi = Lakshmana too; mahendra tulyaH = who was equal to Indra the Lord of celestials; samdhaaya = fixed; shitaagraa = sharpened; sharaan = arrows; ashanibhiima vegaan = terribly swift as lightning; jvalanaprakaashaan = and blazing effulgence; chaape = on the bow-string; sasarje = and discharged; (them); vadhaaya = for killing; rakSodhipateH = of Ravana the Lord of Demons.
Lakshmana, the equal of Mahendra the Lord of celestials, fixing some sharpened arrows, swift as lightning and of blazing effulgence on his bow-string, discharged them on Ravana in order to strike him down.
स तान् प्रचिच्चेद हि राक्षस इन्द्रश् |
चित्त्वा च ताम्ल् लक्ष्मणम् आजघान |
शरेण काल अग्नि सम प्रभेण |
स्वयम्भु दत्तेन ललाट देशे || ६-५९-१०४
104. saH = that; raakSasendraH = Ravana the King of Demons; prachichchheda hi = shattered; taan = those; shitaan = pointed; sharaan = arrows; aajaghaana = and struck; lakSmaNam = Lakshmana; lalaaTa deshe = on the forehead; shareNa = by an arrow; kaalaagni samaprabheNa = with an effulgence equal to the Fire of Time; svayambhudattena = and gifted by Brahma the Lord of Creation.
Whereupon, Ravana the King of Demons shattered those pointed arrows and struck Lakshmana in the forehead with a struck Lakshmana in the forehead with a shaft as bright as the Fire of Time, which had been bestowed on him by Brahma the Lord of Creation.
स लक्ष्मणो रावण सायक आर्तश् |
चचाल चापम् शिथिलम् प्रगृह्य |
पुनश् च सम्ज्नाम् प्रतिलभ्य कृच्च्राच् |
चिच्चेद चापम् त्रिदश इन्द्र शत्रोह् || ६-५९-१०५
105. raavaNa saayakaartaH = struck by Ravana's arrow; saH lakSmaNaH = that Lakshmana; chachaala = reeled a little; shithilam = and became feeble; pragR^ihya = in holding; chaapam = his bow; pratilabhya = but coming; samJNaam = to consciousness; kR^ichchhraat = with difficulty; chichheda = he shattered; chaapam = (that) weapon; trishendrashatroH = belonging to Ravana; Indra's enemy.
Struck by Ravana's arrow, Lakshmana reeled a little and was scarcely able to retain his bow. But, coming to his consciousness with difficulty, he shattered that weapon belonging to Ravana, Indra's enemy.
निकृत्त चापम् त्रिभिर् आजघान |
बाणैस् तदा दाशरथिह् शित अग्रैह् |
स सायक आर्तो विचचाल राजा |
कृच्च्राच् च सम्ज्नाम् पुनर् आससाद || ६-५९-१०६
106. tadaa = then; daasharathiH = Lakshmana the son of Dasaratha; aajaghaana = struck; nikR^itta chaapam = him three; baaNaiH = darts; shitaagraiH = having pointed ends; saH raajaa = that king; saayakaartaH = pierced by those arrows; (swooned); aasasaadamcha = and regained; samJNaam = his senses; kR^ichchhaa = with difficulty.
Then, Lakshmana the son of Dasaratha struck Ravana, whose bow was broken, with three pointed darts. The king, pierced by those arrows, swooned and regained his senses with difficulty.
स कृत्त चापह् शर ताडितश् च |
स्वेद आर्द्र गात्रो रुधिर अवसिक्तह् |
जग्राह शक्तिम् समुदग्र शक्तिह् |
स्वयम्भु दत्ताम् युधि देव शत्रुह् || ६-५९-१०७
107. saH = that; devashatruH = Ravana the enemy of celestials; kR^itta chaapaH = whose bow was broken; shara taaDita shcha = struck by the arrows; medaardragaatraH = his limbs spattered with flesh; rudhiraavasiktaH = and streaming with blood; svayam = himself; ugra shaktiH = of formidable energy; jagraaha = seized; yudhi = in the battle; shaktim = a spear; svayambhu dattaam = gifted to him by Brahma the Lord of creation.
Ravana, the enemy of celestials, whose bow was broken, struck by the arrows, his limbs spattered with flesh, and streaming with blood, himself of formidable energy, seized in the battle a spear gifted to him by Brahma the Lord of Creation.
स ताम् विधूम अनल सम्निकाशाम् |
वित्रासनीम् वानर वाहिनीनाम् |
चिक्षेप शक्तिम् तरसा ज्वलन्तीम् |
सौमित्रये राक्षस राष्ट्र नाथह् || ६-५९-१०८
108. saH = that Ravana; raakSasaraaSTra naathaH = the Lord of the country of demons; chikSepa = hurled; tarasaa = with strength; saumitraye = on Lakshmana; taam jvalantiim shaktim = that blazing spear; sadhuumaanala samnikaasham = emitting smoke and as bright as fire; vitraasaniim = frightening; vaanaraaNaam = the monkeys; samyati = in the fray.
Ravana the Lord of the country of demons hurled with strength on Lakshmana, that blazing spear, emitting smoke and as bright as fire, frightening the monkeys in the fray.
ताम् आपतन्तीम् भरत अनुजो अस्त्रैर् |
जघान बाणैश् च हुत अग्नि कल्पैह् |
तथा अपि सा तस्य विवेश शक्तिर् |
भुज अन्तरम् दाशरथेर् विशालम् || ६-५९-१०९
109. bharataanujaH = Lakshmana the younger brother of Bharata; jaghaana = struck; taam = it; aapatantiim = falling upon him; astraiH = with arrows; baaNaishcha = and darts; hutaagnikalpaiH = as if it were a sacrificial fire; tathaapi = nevertheless; saashaktiH = that spear; vivesha = entered; daasharateH = Lakshmana's; vishaalam = broad; bhuujaantaram = chest;
Lakshmana the younger brother of Bharata struck that weapon falling upon him with arrows and darts, as if it were a sacrificial fire. Nevertheless, that spear entered Lakshmana's broad chest.
स शक्तिमान् शक्तिसमाहतः सन् |
जज्वाल भूमौ स रघुप्रवीरः |
तं विह्वलन्तं सहसाभुपेत्य |
जग्राह राजा तरसा भुजाभ्याम् || ६-५९-११०
110. saH = that; raghupraviiraH = Lakshmana; shaktimaan = the mighty man; shakti samaahataH san = struck by the spear; bhuumau = (lay on) the earth; jajvaala = breathing fire; raajaa = and the king; abhyupetya = rushing; sahasaa = suddenly; tam = on him; vihvalantam = who was yet insensible; jagraaha = seized (him); tarasaa = brutally; bhujaabhyaam = in his two hands.
The mighty Lakshmana, struck by the spear, lay on the earth, breathing fire. The king, rushing suddenly on him who was yet insensible, seized him brutally in his hands.
हिमवान् मन्दरो मेरुस्त्रैलोक्यम् वा सहामरैः |
शक्यम् भुजाभ्यामुद्दर्तुम् न शक्यो भरतानुजः || ६-५९-१११
111. shakyam = Though he was able; uddhartum = to lift up; himavaan = Himavat; mandaraH = Mandara; meruH = Meru; trailokyamvaa = and the three worlds; sahaamaraiH = with the Gods; na shakyaH = he could not raise; bharataanujaH = Lakshmana the younger brother of Bharata.
Though he was able to lift up Himavat, Mandara and Meru mountains as also the Three Worlds with the Gods, he could not raise Lakshmana the younger brother of Bharata.
शक्त्याब्राह्म्या तु सौमित्रिस्ताडितोऽपि स्तनान्तरे |
विष्णोरमीमांस्यभागमात्मानं प्रत्यनुस्मरत् || ६-५९-११२
112. saumitriH = Lakshmana; taaDito.api = though wounded; stanaantare = in the breast; braahmyaa = by Brahma's shaktyaa = weapon; prati anusmarat = recollected on; aatmaanam = himself; amiimamsya bhaagam = to be the inconceivable fraction; viSNoH = of Vishnu Himself.
Lakshmana, though wounded in the breast by Brahma's weapon, recollected that he was an inconceivable fraction of Vishnu Himself.
ततो दानवदर्पघ्नं सौमित्रिम् देवकण्टकः |
तं पीडयित्वा बाहुभ्यां न प्रभुर्णङ्घनेऽभवत् || ६-५९-११३
113. tataH = then; devakaNTakaH = Ravana that thorn in the side of the Gods; piiDayitvaa = though overcoming; tam = that saumitrim = Lakshmana; daanavadarpaghnam = who removed the pride of demons; naabhavat prabhiH = was unable; laN^ghane = to bear him away; baahubhyaam = with his hands.
Ravana that thorn in the side of the Gods, though overcoming that Lakshmana who removed the pride of demons, was unable to bear him away with his hands.
ततः क्रुद्धो वायुसुतो रावणं समभिद्रवत् |
आजघानोरसि क्रुद्धो वज्रकल्पेन मुष्टिना || ६-५९-११४
114. tataH = thereafter; kruddhaH = the enraged; vaayusutaH = Hanuma the son of the wind-God; samabhidravat = rushed; raavaNam = towards Ravana; aajaghaana = and struck; kruddhah = angrily; urasi = in the chest-portion; muSTinaa = with his fist; vajra kalpena = which was resembling a thunder bolt.
Thereupon, the enraged Hanuma the son of the Wind-God, rushed towards Ravana and struck angrily on his chest with his fist, resembling a thunder-bolt.
तेन मुष्टिप्रहारेण रावणो राक्षसेश्वरः |
जानुभ्यामगमद्भूमौ चचाल च पपात च || ६-५९-११५
115. tena = by that; muSTiprahaareNa = blow of the fist; raavaNaH = Ravana; raakSaseshvaraH = the Lord of Demons; chachaala = reeled; apatat cha = and fell; jaanubhyaam = on his knees; bhuumau = to the ground.
By that blow of the fist, Ravana the Lord of Demons reeled and fell on his knees to the ground.
आस्यैश्च नेत्रैः श्रवणैः पपात रुधिरं बहु |
विघार्णमानो निश्चेष्टो रथोपस्थ उपाचिशत् || ६-५९-११६
116. bahu = a lot of; rudhiram = blood; papaata = oozed; asyaiH cha = from his face; netraiH = from his eyes; shravaNaiH = from his ears; vighuurNamaanaH = Reeled; nishcheSTaH = and motionless; upavishat = he sat; rathopasthe = in the middle of the chariot.
A lot of blood oozed out from his face, eyes, and ears. Reeled and motionless, he became and sat in the middle of the chariot.
विसंज्ञो मूर्चितश्चासीन्न च स्थानम् समालभत् |
विसम्ज्ञम् रावणम् दृष्ट्वा समरे भीमविक्रमम् || ६-५९-११७
ऋषय् वानराश्चैव नेदुर्देवाश्च सासुराः |
117. aasiit = he became; visamJNaH = unconscious; muurchhitashcha = and swooned; na cha samaalabhat = he could not acquire; sthaanam = stability; dR^iSTvaa = seeing; bhiimavikramam = the terribly stron; raavaNam = Ravana; visamJNam = becoming unconscious; samare = in the battle-field; R^iSayaH = the sages; vaanarashchaiva = the monkeys; devaashchaiva = the celestials; saasuraaH = along with demons; neduH = shouted in joy.
Seeing Ravana despite his redoubtable strength swooned on the battle-field, sages and monkeys began to shout in triumph as did also celestials and the demons (invisibly present on the scene).
हनूमनथ तेजस्वी लक्ष्मणम् रावणार्दितम् || ६-५९-११८
अनयद्रघवाभ्याशं बाहुभ्याम् परिगृह्य तम् |
118. atha = then; tejasvii = the courageous; hanuumaan = Hanuma; parigR^ihya = taking; tam lakSmaNam = that Lakshmana; raavaNaarditam = wounded by Ravana; baahubhyaam = to his shoulders; aanayat = and brought him; raaghavaabhyaasham = nearer to Rama.
Then, the courageous Hanuma lifting up Lakshmana in his arms, who had been wounded by Ravana, brought him to Rama's presence.
वायुसूनोः सुहृत्त्वेन भक्त्या परमया च सः || ६-५९-११९
शत्रूणामप्रकम्प्योऽपि लघुत्वमगमत्कपेः |
119. saH = that Lakshmana; shatruuNaam = whom his foes; aprakampyo.api = were unable to more; aagamat = became; laghutvam = light; kapeH = for Hanuma; suhR^ittvena = because of friendship; paramayaa = and great; bhaktyaa cha = devotion; vaayusuunaH = of Hanuma the son of Wind-God.
That Lakshmana, whom his foes were unable to move, became light for Hanuma because of friendship and great devotion of Hanuma the son of Wind-God towards him.
तं समुत्सृज्य सा शक्तिः सौमित्रिम् युथि निर्जितम् || ६-५९-१२०
रावणस्य रथे तस्मिन् स्थानं पुनरुपागमत् |
120. saa shaktiH = that spear; samutsR^ijya = leaving; saumitrim = Lakshmana; nirjitam = who was overcome; yudhi = in the battle; punaH upaaamat = returned; sthaanam = to its position; tasmin rathe = in that chariot; raavaNasya = of Ravana.
That spear leaving Lakshmana, who was overcome in the battle, returned to its position in that chariot of Ravana.
रावणोऽपि महातेजाः प्राप्य सम्ज्ञां महाहवे || ६-५९-१२१
आददे निशितान् बाणान् जग्रह च महद्धनुः |
121. mahaatejaaH = the mighty; raavaNo.api = Ravana too; praapya = regaining; samJNaan = his consciouness; mahaahave = in that great battle-field; aadade = picked up; nishitaan = sharp; baaNaan = arrows; aadade = and got hold of; mahat = his great; dhanuH cha = bow too.
The mighty Ravana too, regaining his consciousness in the great battle-field, picked up his sharp arrows and the great bow.
अश्वस्तश्च विशल्यश्च लक्ष्मणः शत्रुसूदनः || ६-५९-१२२
विष्णोर्भागममीमांस्यमात्मानम् प्रत्यनुस्मरन् |
122. aashvastaH = healed; vishalyaH = and feed from that lance; lakSmaNaH = Lakshmana; shatrusuudanaH = the annihilator of foes; pratyanusmaran = recollected; aatmaanam = of him; viSNoH bhaagam = as a part of Vishnu the Lord of Preservation; amiimaamsyam = the inconceivable.
Healed and free from that lance, Lakshmana the annihilator of his foes, recollected of himself as a part of the inconceivable Vishnu the Lord of Preservation.
निपातितमहावीराम् वानराणाम् महाचमूम् || ६-५९-१२३
राघवस्तु रणे दृष्ट्वा रावणम् समभिद्रवत् |
123. dR^iSTvaa = beholding; mahaachamuum = the great army; vaanaraaNaam = of monkeys; nipaatita mahaaviiraam = whose great warriors were overthrown; raNe = on the battle-field; raaghavastu = Rama on his part; samabhidravat = rushed; raavaNam = on Ravana.
Beholding the great army of monkeys whose great warriors were overthrown on the battle-field, Rama rushed on Ravana.
अथैनमुपसम्गम्य हनूमान्वाक्यमब्रवीत् || ६-५९-१२४
मम पृष्ठों समारुह्य राक्षसम् शास्तुमर्हसि |
विष्णुर्यथा गरुत्मन्तमारुह्यमरवैरिणम् || ६-५९-१२५
124; 125. atha = thereafter; hanuumaan = Hanuma; upasamgamya = approaching; enam = this Rama; abraviit = spoke;vaakyam = the following words; arhasi = you ought; shaastum = to punish; raakSasam = the demon; samaaruuhya = by climbing; mam = my; pR^iSTham- back; viSNuyathaa = like Vishnu; garutmantam = on Garuda; amaravairiNam = in order to fight with the Enemy of Gods.
Meanwhile, Hanuma approaching Rama spoke the following words: "You have to punish the demon by climbing my back, as Vishnu on Garuda in order to fight with the Enemy of Gods."
तच्छ्रुत्वा रागवो वाक्यम् वायुपुत्रेण भाषितम् |
अथारुरोह सहसा हनूमन्तं महाकपिम् || ६-५९-१२६
रथस्थम् रावणम् सम्ख्ये ददर्श मनुजाधिपः |
126. shrutvaa = hearing; tat = those; vaakyam = words; bhaaSitam = spoken; vaayuputreNa = by Hanuma the son of Wind-God; raaghavaH = Rama; atha = then; sahasaa = soon; aaruroha = mounted; mahaakapim = the great monkey; hanuumantam = Hanuma; manujaadhipaH = Rama the Lord of Men; dadarsha = saw; raavaNam = Ravana; rathastham = standing in his chariot; samkhye = in the battle-field.
Hearing those words spoken by Hanuma the son of Wind-God, Rama soon after mounted the great monkey, Hanuma. Rama the Lord of men then saw Ravana standing in his chariot in the battle-field.
तमालोक्य महातेजाः प्रदुद्राव स रावणम् || ६-५९-१२७
वैरोचनमिव क्रुद्धो विष्णुरभ्युद्यतायुधः |
127. mahaatejaaH = the mighty; saH = Rama; kruddhaH = became angry; aalokya = on seeing; tam = him; pradudraava = and rushed; raavaNam = upon Ravana; viSNuH iva = like unto Vishnu; abhyudyataayudhaH = with his uplifted mace; (rushed upon); vairochanam = Virochana.
The mighty Rama became angry on seeing him and rushed upon that Ravana like unto Vishnu with his uplifted mace rushed upon Virochana.
ज्याशब्दमकरोत्तीव्रम् वज्रनिष्पेषनिष्ठुरम् || ६-५९-१२८
गिरा गम्भीरया रामो राक्षसेन्द्रमुवाच ह |
128. raamaH = Rama; aakarot = made; jyaashabdam = a sound in drawing the cord of his bow; vajraniSpeSa niSThuram = and like unto the roll of thunder; uvaacha ha = spoke; gambhiirayaa = in a deep; giraa = voice; raakSasendram = to Ravana.
Rama made a sound in drawing the cord of his bow and like unto the roll of thunder, spoke in a deep voice to Ravana as follows:
तिष्ठ तिष्ठ मम त्वम् हि कृत्वा विप्रियमीदृशम् || ६-५९-१२९
क्व नु राक्षसशार्दूल गत्वा मोक्षमवाप्स्यसि |
129. raalSasa shaarduula = O Tiger among the Demons!; tiSTha tiSTha = stay; stay; kR^itvaa = having evoked; iidR^isham = such; vipriyam = a displeasure; mama = to me; kvanu = where; gatvaa = by fleeing; avaapsyasi = you will get; mokSam = an abandonment?
"O, Tiger among the Demons! Stay, stay! Having evoked such a displeasure to me, where will you flee and get an abandonment?"
गमिष्यसि त्वं दशधा दिशो वा |
तथापि मे नाद्य गतो विमोक्ष्यसे || ६-५९-१३०
130. tvam = gamiSyasi yadi = even if you go; indraivaivasvata bhaaskaraan vaa = or to the ten regions; tathaapi = even in those regions; gataH = having obtained; me = my proximity; na vimokSyase = you will not be let loose; adya = now.
"Even if you seek refuge in the region of Indra the Lord of celestials or Yama the Lord of Death or the Sun or Brahma the Lord of Creation or Agni the Lord of Fire or Shiva the Lord of dissolution or in the ten regions, even in those abodes you will elude me from now on."
यश्चैष शक्त्या निहतस्त्वयाद्य |
गच्छन्विषादं सहसाभ्युपेत्य |
स एष रक्षोगणराज मृत्युः |
सपुत्रपौत्रस्य तवाद्य युद्धे || ६-५९-१३१
131. rakSogaNa raaja = O king of the demoniace people!; yaH eSaH = the one who; nihataH = was struck; shaktyaa = by the spear; gachchhan = obtaining; duHkham = sorrow; saH eSaH = the same Lakshmana; abhyupetya = recovering consciousness; sahasaa = immediately; mR^ityuH = and assuming the form of death; adya = will now; (claim); tava = you; saputrapautrasya = along with your sons and grandsons; yuddhe = in battle.
"O, Ravana the King of Demons! The one who was struck by the spear, fell swooping this day only to recover consciousness immediately, will now, assuming the form of death, claim you, your sons and grandsons in battle."
एतेन चात्यद्भुतदर्शनानि |
रक्षः सहस्राणि निषूदितानि || ६-५९-१३२
132. etena = here is he; sharaiH = under whose arrows; chaturdashaani = fourteen; rakSaH sahasraaNi = thousand demons; adbhuta darshanaani = of terrible form; niSuuditaani = perished; janasthaana kR^itaalayaani = who had established themselves in Janasthana; aathavaraayudhaani = and were furnished with excellent weapons.
"Here is he, under whose blows of arrows, fourteen thousand demons of terrible form perished, who had established themselves in Janasthana and were furnished with excellent weapons."
राघवस्य वचः श्रुत्वा राक्षसेन्द्रो महाबलः |
वायुपुत्रम् महावेगम् वहन्तं राघवं रणे || ६-५९-१३३
रोषेण महताविष्टः पूर्ववैरमनुस्मरन् |
आजघान शरैर्दीपैः कालानलशिखोपमैः || ६-५९-१३४
133; 134. shrutvaa = hearing; vachaH = the words; raaghavasya = of Rama; raakSasendraH = Ravana the King of Demons; mahaabalaH = having a great strength; aaviSTaH = full; roSaNa = of rage; aajaghaana = struck; diiptaiH sharaiH = with flaming arrows; kaalaanala shikhopamaiH = resembling the tonguews; vaayuputram = on Hanuman the son of Wind-God; mahaavegam = bearing; raaghavam = Rama; raNe = in the battle field; anusmaran = and recollecting; puurva vairam = his former hostility.
Hearing the words of Rama, Ravana of great strength, full of rage and recollecting his former hostility struck with flaming arrows resembling the tongues of the Fire of Dissolution, on Hanuman the son of Wind-God, who with extreme velocity, was bearing Rama in the battle-field.
राक्षसेनाहवे तस्य ताडितस्यापि सायकैः |
स्वभावतेजोयुक्तस्य भूयस्तेजोऽभ्यवर्धत || ६-५९-१३५
135. taaDitasyaapi = even when struck; raakSasena = by that demon; saayakaiH = with arrows; aahave = in the battle; tasya svabhaava tejoyuktasya = the native strength of which Hanuman was possessed tejaH = that vigour; abhyavardhataH = increased; bhuuyaH = still further.
Even when struck by that demon with his arrows in the battle, the vigour of Hanuman, who was endowed with native strength, increased still further.
ततो रामो महातेजा रावणेन कृतव्रणम् |
दृष्ट्वा प्लवगशार्दूलं क्रोधस्य वशमेयुवान् || ६-५९-१३६
136. tataH = then; mahaatejaaH = the mighty; raamaH = Rama; dR^iSTvaa = seeing; plavaga sharduulam = Hanuman the tiger among the monkeys; kR^itavraNam = having been wounded; raavaNena = by Ravana; eyivaan = got; vasham = into the clutches; krodhasya = of anger.
Thereupon, seeing Hanuman the Tiger among the monkeys getting wounded by Ravana, Rama was transported with anger.
तस्याभिसम्क्रम्य रथम् सचक्रम् |
ससारथिम् साशनिशूलखड्गम् |
रामः प्रचिच्छेद शितैः शराग्रैः || ६-५९-१३७
137. raamaH = Rama; abhisamkramya = going near (him); prachichchheda = and shattered; shitaiH = by sharp; sharaagraiH = pointed arrows; tasya = his; ratham = chariot; saahakram = with its wheels; saashva dhvaja chchhatra mahaapataakam = horses; banner; canopy; great standard; sasaarathim = with its charioteer; saashanishuulakhaDgam = darts; spears and swords.
Going near his chariot with his sharp and pointed arrows, Rama shattered it along with its wheels, horses, banner, canopy, great standard, charioteer, darts, spears and swords.
अथेन्द्रशत्रुम् तरसा जघान |
बाणेन वज्राशनिसम्निभेन |
भुजान्तरे व्यूढसुजातरूपे |
वज्रेण मेरुं भगवानिवेन्द्रः || ६-५९-१३८
138. atha = thereupon; tarasaa = with a great force; (he) jaghaana = struck; baaNena = with an arrow; vajraashani samnibhena iva = like unto a thunderbolt; (falling on); merum = Mount Meru; indra shatrum = that Ravana the enemy of Indra the Lord of celestials; bhuujaantare = on his chest; vyuuDhasujaataruupe = which was broad and beautiful; bhagavaan = as Lord; indraH = Indra the Lord of celestials; vajreNa = (struck) with his thunder-bolt.
Thereupon, with a great force, Rama struck with his shaft shining brightly as the thunderbolt, that Ravana, the enemy of Indra, in his broad and beautiful chest, even as the mighty Indra would strike the Mount Meru with his thunderbolt.
यो वज्रपाताशनिसंनिपाता |
न्न चुक्षुभे नापि च्चाल राजा |
स रामबाणाभिहतो भृशार्त |
श्चचाल चापं च मुमोच वीरः || ६-५९-१३९
139. yaH = which; raajaa = king of Demons; na vajra paatashanisamnipaataat = whom neither thunder nor lightning; chukSubhe = could cause disturbance; naapi chachaala = nor could cause trembling; saH viiraH = that valiant demons; chachaala = stumbled; mumocha = letting fall; chaapamcha = his bow; raama baaNaabhihataH = at the violent impact of Rama's missile; bhR^ishaartaH = which created a deep injury.
That valiant King of Demons, whom neither thunder nor lightning could cause disturbance or trembling; stumbled letting fall his bow at the valiant impact of Rama's missile which created a deep injury.
तम् विह्वलन्तं प्रसमीक्ष्य रामः |
समाददे दीप्तमथार्धचन्द्रम् |
तेनार्कवर्णं सहसा किरीटं |
चिच्छेद रक्षोधिपतेर्महात्मा || ६-५९-१४०
140. prasamiikSya = seeing; tam = that Ravana; vihvalantam = swooning; raamaH = Rama; atha = then; samaada = took up; diiptam = a blazing; arthachandram = a crescent shaped arrow; tena = and by it; mahaatmaa = the magnanimous Rama; sahasaa = immediately; chichchheda = shattered; kiriiTam = the diadem; arkavarNam = having a bright hue; rakSodhipate = of Ravana the Lord of Demons.
Seeing that Ravana swooning, the magnanimous Rama took up a blazing arrow shaped like a crescent moon and immediately used it to shatter the diadem of Ravana the Lord of Demons, which was of bright hue.
तं निर्विषाशीविषसंनिकाशं |
शान्तार्चिषं सूर्यमिवाप्रकाशम् |
गतश्रियं कृत्तकिरीटकूट |
मुवाच रामो युधि राक्षसेन्द्रम् || ६-५९-१४१
141. raamaH = Rama; uvaacha = said; tam raakSasendram = to that Lord of Demons; gatashriyam = whose splendour was dimmed; kR^itta kiriiTa kuuTam = the setting of his diadom riven; nirviSaashiiviSasamnikaasham = who resembled a venomous snake; robbed of its poison; suuryamiva = or like a sun; shaantaarchiSam = its rays extinguished; aprakaasham = bereft of lustre; yudhi = in the battle-field.
In that battle-field, Rama said to that Lord of Demons whose splendour was dimmed, the setting of his diadem river, who resembled a venomous snake robbed of its poison or like a sun its rays extinguished, bereft of lustre.
कृतं त्वया कर्म महत्सुभीमं |
हतप्रवीरश्च कृतस्त्वयाहम् |
तस्मात्परिश्रान्त इति व्यवस्य |
न्न त्वां शरैर्मऋत्युवशम् नयामि || ६-५९-१४२
142. subhiimam = a highly terrific; mahat = great; karma = feat; kR^itam = was accomplished; aham = I; kR^itam = was accomplished; tvayaa = by you; aham = I; kR^itam = have been effected; hata praviiraH = with my brave soldiers having been succumbed; tasmaat = for that reason; vyavasya = having made up my mind; parishaantaH iti = that you have become weary; na nayaami = I shall not put; tvaam = you; mR^ityuvasham = under the clutches of Death.
"You have accomplished a highly terrific great feat and my brave soldiers have succumbed beneath your blows. Now, you are weary and in this condition, I shall not put you under the clutches of Death."
प्रयाहि जानामि रणार्दितस्त्वं |
प्रविश्य रात्रिंचरराज लङ्काम् |
अश्वस्य निर्याहि रथी च धन्वी |
तदा बलम् प्रेक्ष्यसि मे रथस्थः || ६-५९-१४३
143. raatrimchara raaja = O; King of the Rangers of Night!; jaanaami = I know; tvam = you; raNaarditaH = have been tormented in battle; prayaahi = go; pravishya = and entering; laN^kaam = Lanka; ashvasya = and having return; rathii = in your chariot; dhanviicha = with your bow; tadaa = and then; rathasthaH = standing in your chariot; prekSyasi = you will witness; me = my; balam = prowess.
"O, King of the Ranger of night! I know you have been tormented in the battle. Go and return to Lanka. Having regained your breath, come back in your chariot with your bow and then standing in your chariot, you will witness once more my prowess."
स एवमुक्तो हतदर्पहर्षो |
निकृत्तचापः स हताश्वसूतः |
शरार्दितो भग्नमहाकिरीटो |
विवेश लङ्काम् सहसा स्म राजा || ६-५९-१४४
144. evam = thus; uktaH = spoken; saH raajaa = that King Ravana; hata darpa harSaH = his joy and boasting subdued; nikR^itta chaapaH = his bow shattered; hataashva suutaH = his horses and chariot slain; sharaarditaH = pierced with arrows; bhagna mahaakiriiTaH = his great diadem broken; sah = he; sahasaa = soon; vivesha = returned; laN^kaam = to Lanka.
At these words, that King Ravana, his joy boasting subdued, his bow shattered, his horses and chariot slain pierced with arrows, his great diadem broken, he soon returned to Lanka.
तस्मिन् प्रविष्टे रजनीचरेन्द्रे |
महाबले दानवदेवशत्रौ |
हरीन् विशल्यान् सह लक्ष्मणेन |
चकार रामः परमाहवाग्रे || ६-५९-१४५
145. tasmin = (While) that; mahaabale = mighty; rajanicharendre = Ravana the Lord of Demons; daanava deva shatrau = the enemy of celestials and titans; praviSTe- returned to Lanka; raamaH = Rama; chakaara vishalyaan = arranged for drawing out arrows; hariin = from monkeys; lakSmaNena saha = and from Lakshmana too; paramaahavaagre = in the forefront of that vast battle-field.
While that mighty Ravana the Lord of Demons and the enemy of celestials and titans returned to Lanka, Rama arranged for drawing out arrows from monkeys and from Lakshmana too, in the forefront of that vast battle-field.
तस्मिन् प्रभग्ने त्रिदशेन्द्रशत्रौ |
सुरासुरा भूतगणा दिशश्च |
ससागराः सर्वमहोरगाश्च |
तथैव भूम्यम्बुच राः प्रहृष्टाः || ६-५९-१४६
146. tasmin = that Ravana; tridashendra shatrau = the adversary of the King of the Gods; prabhagne = being vanquished; suraasuraaH = the celestials; Asuras; bhuutagaNaaH = the multitude of beings; dishascha = in all quarters; sasaagaraaH = and creatures of the ocean; sarva mahoragaaH = with the great serpents; tathaiva = as also bhuumyambucharaaH = all being on earth and in the waters; prahR^iSTaaH = rejoiced very much.
That Ravana, the adversary of the King of the Gods being vanquished, the celestials, Asuras the multitude of beings in all the quarters, the creatures of the ocean with the great serpents as also all beings on earth and in waters rejoiced very much.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे एकोनषष्टितमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© June 2006, K. M. K. Murthy