Akampana enters the battle-field and assails the monkeys with his bow and arrows. Then, Hanuman comes to the rescue of the monkeys. A great fight ensued between Akampana and Hanuman. Hanuman strikes the head of Akampana with a huge tree and Akampana dies. All the demons take to their heels and return to Lanka.
तद् दृष्ट्वा सुमहत् कर्म कृतम् वानर सत्तमैः |
क्रोधम् आहारयाम् आस युधि तीव्रम् अकम्पनः || ६-५६-१
1. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; tat = that; sumahat = very great; karma = exploit; kR^itam = done; vaanara sattamaiH = by the chiefs of monkeys; yudhi = in the battle; akampanaH = Akampana; aahaarayaamaasa = was seized; tiivram = a fierce; krodham = anger.
Seeing that very great exploit executed by the chiefs of monkeys in the battle, Akampana was seized with a fierce anger.
क्रोध मूर्चित रूपस् तु ध्नुवन् परम कार्मुकम् |
दृष्ट्वा तु कर्म शत्रूणाम् सारथिम् वाक्यम् अब्रवीत् || ६-५६-२
2. dR^iSTvaa = witnessing; karma = the work; shatruuNaam = of the enemies; krodha muurchhitaruupaH = appearing fully of fierce anger; dhunvan = and moving; parama kaarmukam = his great bow; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = the following words; saarathim = to his charioteer.
Witnessing that work of the enemies, his features were distorted by anger and brandishing his powerful bow, Akampana addressed his charioteer in these words.
तत्र एव तावत् त्वरितम् रथम् प्रापय सारथे |
एते अत्र बहवो घ्नन्ति सुबहून् राक्षसान् रणे || ६-५६-३
3. saarathi = O; charioteer!; ete balinaH = these strong monkeys; ghnanti = are killing; subahuun = innumerable; raakSasaan = demons; raNe = in the battle; praapaya = get; ratham = the chariot; tatraiva = just there; tvaritaH = soon.
"Drive the chariot quickly to that place, for, those monkeys are killing innumerable demons on the battle field."
एते अत्र बलवन्तो हि भीम कायाश् च वानराः |
द्रुम शैल प्रहरणास् तिष्ठन्ति प्रमुखे मम || ६-५६-४
4. ete = these; vaanaraaH = monkeys; balavantaH = who are strong; bhiimakopaashcha = with terrific anger; druma shaila praharaNaaH = with trees and rocks as their weapons; tiSThanti = are standing; mama = in my; pramukhe = front; atra = here.
"Those arrogant monkeys of terrific ferocity, armed with trees and rocks, dare to affront me here."
एतान् निहन्तुम् इच्चामि समर श्लाघिनो ह्य् अहम् |
एतैः प्रमथितम् सर्वम् दृश्यते राक्षसम् बलम् || ६-५६-५
5.aham ichchhami = I wish; nihantum = to kill; etaan = these monkeys; samarashlaaghinaH = who are praising themselves in battle; sarvam = all; balam = the army; rakSasaaam = of demons; dR^ishyate = who are seen; pramathitam = to be crushed; etaiH = by them.
"I wish to kill those andicious monkeys, who are seen herassing all the army of demons."
ततः प्रजवित अश्वेन रथेन रथिनाम् वरः |
हरीन् अभ्यहनत् क्रोधात् शर जालैर् अकम्पनः || ६-५६-६
6. tataH = thereafter; rathena = in his chariot; prachalitaashvena = drawn by fast-moving horses; akampanaH = Akampana; varaH = the most skillful; rathinaam = of chariot-warriors; sharajaalaiH = with a hail of darts; abhyapatat = assailed hariin = the monkeys; duuraat = from a distance.
Thereafter, in his chariot, drawn by fast-moving horses, Akampana the most skillful of chariot-warriors, with a hail of darts, assailed the monkeys from a distance.
न स्थातुम् वानराह् शेकुह् किम् पुनर् योद्धुम् आहवे |
अकम्पन शरैर् भग्नाह् सर्व;एव प्रदुद्रुवुः || ६-५६-७
7. vaanaraaH = the monkeys; na shekuH = were no longer able; sthaatum = to maintain their formation; aahave = in the battle; kim punaH = how much less; yuddhum = to fight; sarve eva = all of them; bhagnaaH = were crushed; akampana sharaiH = under the shafts of Akampana; abhidudruvuH = and took to their heels.
The monkeys were no longer able to maintain their formation, much less fight in the battle. all of them were crushed under the shifts of Akampana and took to their heels.
तान् मृत्यु वशम् आपन्नान् अकम्पन वशम् गतान् |
समीक्ष्य हनुमान् ज्नातीन् उपतस्थे महा बलः || ६-५६-८
8. samiikSya = seeing; taan = those; jJNaatiin = companions; aapannaan = getting; mR6ityu vasham = under the sway of death; akampana sharaanugaan = pursued by Akampana's darts; mahaabalaH = the mighty; hanumaan = Hanuman; upatasthe = went to their rescue.
Seeing those companions, getting under the sway of death pursued by Akampana's darts, the mighty Hanuman went to their rescue.
तम् महा प्लवगम् दृष्ट्वा सर्वे प्लवग यूथपाः |
समेत्य समरे वीराह् सहिताह् पर्यवारयन् || ६-५६-९
9. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; tam = him; mahaa plavagam = the giant monkey; sarve = all; te = those; viiraaH = valiant; plavagarSabhaaH = and best of the monkeys; hahitaaH = together; sametya = approached; paryavaarayan = and surrounded him.
Seeing Hanuman their great leader, all those valiant and the best of the monkeys together rallied and grouped themselves boldly round him.
व्यवस्थितम् हनूमन्तम् ते दृष्ट्वा हरि यूथपाः |
बभूवुर् बलवन्तो हि बलवन्तम् उपाश्रिताः || ६-५६-१०
10. dR^iSTvaa = observing; hanuumantam = Hanuman; vyavasthitam = standing comageously; te = those; plavagarSabhaH = excellent monkeys; upaashritaaH = took shelter; balavantam = in his powerfulness; babhuuvuH = and became; balavantaH hi = indeed powerful.
Observing Hanuman's courage, those excellent monkeys took shelter in his powerfulness and became powerfulness and became powerful indeed.
अकम्पनस् तु शैल आभम् हनूमन्तम् अवस्थितम् |
महा इन्द्र;इव धाराभिह् शरैर् अभिववर्ष ह || ६-५६-११
11. akampastu = Akampana; mahendraH iva = like Mahendra; the lord of celestials; abhivavarSaha = assailed; dharaabhiH = a hail; sharaiaH = of arrows; hanuumantam = on Hanuman; avasthitam = who remained as firm; shailaabham = as a rock.
Akampana, like Mahendra the Lord of celestials, assailed a hail of arrows on Hanuman, who remained as firm as a rock.
अचिन्तयित्वा बाण ओघान् शरीरे पतितान् शितान् |
अकम्पन वध अर्थाय मनो दध्रे महा बलः || ६-५६-१२
12. achintayitvaa = heedless; baaNaughaan = of the flood of weapons; patitaan = that fell; shariire = upon his body; mahaabalaH = the mighty; kapiH = Hanuman; manaH dadhre = resolved in his mind; akampanavadhaarthaaya = to slay Akampana.
Heedless of the flood of weapons that fell upon his body, the mighty Hanuman resolved in his mind to slay Akampana.
स प्रहस्य महा तेजा हनूमान् मारुत आत्मजः |
अभिदुद्राव तद् रक्षह् कम्पयन्न् इव मेदिनीम् || ६-५६-१३
13. prahasya = laughing heartily; saH = that; hanumaan = Hanuma; mahaatejaaH = of great splendour; maarutaatmajaH = and thes on of Maruta the wind-god; abhirudraava = leapt; tat raakSaH = on that demon; mediniim = causing the earth; kampayanniva = to shake as it were.
Laughing heartily , that Hanuman, the son of Maruta the wind-god and possessing a great splendour, leapt on the demon, causing the earth to shake as it were.
तस्य अभिनर्दमानस्य दीप्यमानस्य तेजसा |
बभूव रूपम् दुर्धर्षम् दीप्तस्य इव विभावसोः || ६-५६-१४
14. diipta maanasya = while burning; tejasaa = with energy; nardamaanasya = and emitting yells; tasya = his; ruupam = form; babhuuva = became; durdharSam = difficult to overpower; diiptasya vibhaavasoH iva = like a blazing fire; atha = thereafter.
As he roared burning with energy, the form of Hanuman became difficult to overpower, like a blazing fire.
आत्मानम् त्व् अप्रहरणम् ज्नात्वा क्रोध समन्वितः |
शैलम् उत्पाटयाम् आस वेगेन हरि पुम्गवः || ६-५६-१५
15. jJNaatvaa = knowing; aatmaanam = himself; a praharaNam = to be bereft of any weapon; haripuN^gavaH = Hanuman the excellent monkey; krodha saman votaH = with anger; utpaaTayaamaasa = uplifted; shailam = a mountian; vegena = quickly.
Knowing himself to be bereft of any weapon, Hanuman the excellent monkey, with a rage, uplifted a mountain quickly.
तम् गृहीत्वा महा शैलम् पाणिना एकेन मारुतिः |
विनद्य सुमहा नादम् भ्रामयाम् आस वीर्यवान् || ६-५६-१६
16. saH = that; viiryavaan = valiant; maarutiH = Hanuman; gR^ihiitvaa = seizing; sumahaashailam = very great mountain; ekena paaNinaa = with one hand; vinadye mahaanaadam = letting up a roar; bhraamayaamaasa = began to spin it rapidly.
That valiant Hanuman, seizing a very great mountain with one hand and letting up a roar, began to spin it rapidly.
ततस् तम् अभिदुद्राव राक्षस इन्द्रम् अकम्पनम् |
यथा हि नमुचिम् सम्ख्ये वज्रेण इव पुरम् दरः || ६-५६-१७
17. tataH = thereafter; puraa iva = as formerly; samkhye = in an encounter; purandaraH = Indra the Lord of celestials; vajreNa = (hurled) his thunderbolt; namuchimiva = at Namuchi; (Hanuman); abhirudraava = rushed; tam akampanam = towards that Akampana.
Thereafter, as formerly in an encounter Indra the Lord of celestials hurled his thunderbolt at Namuchi, Hanuman rushed towards Akampana.
अकम्पनस् तु तद् दृष्ट्वा गिरि शृन्गम् समुद्यतम् |
दूराद् एव महा बाणैर् अर्ध चन्द्रैर् व्यदारयत् || ६-५६-१८
18. dR^iSTvaa = beholding; samudyatam = uplifted; girishR^iN^gam = mountain-peak; akampanstu = Akampana on his part; adaarayat = shattered it;duuraadeva = even from a distance; mahaa baaNaiH = by mighty arrows; ardhachandraiH = each having the shape of a crescent.
Beholding that crag flying towards him, Akampana shattered it even from a distance by means of his great crescent-shaped arrows.
तत् पर्वत अग्रम् आकाशे रक्षो बाण विदारितम् |
विकीर्णम् पतितम् दृष्ट्वा हनूमान् क्रोध मूर्चितः || ६-५६-१९
19. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; tam = that; parvataagram = rocky peak; rakSobaaNa vidaaritam = shattered by the demon's arrows; patitam = and falling; vikiirNam = in pieces; aakaashee = in the sky; hanumaan = Hanuman; krodha muurchhitaH = became mad with anger.
Seeing that rocky peak shatterd in the air by the demon's arrows and falling in pieces, Hanuman became mad with anger.
सो अश्व कर्णम् समासाद्य रोष दर्प अन्वितो हरिः |
तूर्णम् उत्पाटयाम् आस महा गिरिम् इव उच्च्रितम् || ६-५६-२०
20. samaasaadya = approaching; ashvakarNam = an Ashvakarna tree; mahaagirimiva = as large as a mountain; roSadarpaanvitaH = in the transport of rage that possessed him; saH = that; hariH = Hanuman; utpaaTayaamaasa = uprooted it; tuurNam = speedily.
Approaching an Ashwakarna tree as large as a mountain, in the transport of rage that possessed him, that Hanuman uprooted it speedily.
तम् गृहीत्वा महा स्कन्धम् सो अश्व कर्णम् महा द्युतिः |
प्रगृह्य परया प्रीत्या भ्रामयामास भूतले || ६-५६-२१
21. saH = that Hanuman; mahaadutiH = of great strength; gR^ihiitvaa = taking hold; tam ashvakarNam = of that Ashwakarna tree; mahaa skandam = with large branches; pragR^ihya = and tightly holding it; parayaa priityaa = with grea delight; bhraamayaamaasa = spinned it; bhuutale = on the ground.
Taking hold of that Ashvakarna tree with large branches, in his great strength, Hanuman with immense delight spinned it, while standing on the ground.
प्रधावन्न् उरु वेगेन प्रभन्जंस् तरसा द्रुमान् |
हनूमान् परम क्रुद्धश् चरणैर् दारयत् क्षितिम् || ६-५६-२२
22. paramakR^iddhaH = the highly enraged; hanumaan = hanuman; pradhaavan = began to run; uruvegena = with great strides; babhaN^jaH = breaking down; drumaan = the trees; tarasaa = by his strength; daarayan = and tearing up; mahiim = the earth; charaNaiH = with his feet.
Then, the highly enraged Hanuman began to run with great strides, breaking down the trees by his strength and tearing up the earth with his feet.
गजांसः च सगज आरोहान् सरथान् रथिनस् तथा |
जघान हनुमान् धीमान् राक्षसांश् च पदातिकान् || ६-५६-२३
23. hanumaan = Hanuman; jaghaana = struck down; gajaamshcha = elephants; sagajaarohaan = as also who rode upon them; rathinaH = and charioteers; sarathaan = with their chariots; bhiimaan = and the terrific; padaatigaan = infantry; raakSasaan = of demons.
Hanuman struck down elephants as also who rode upon them and charioteers with their chariots and the terrific infantry of demons.
तम् अन्तकम् इव क्रुद्धम् समरे प्राण हारिणम् |
हनूमन्तम् अभिप्रेक्ष्य राक्षसा विप्रदुद्रुवुः || ६-५६-२४
24. abhiprekSya = seeing; tam hanuumantam = that Hanuman; antakmiva = like unto Yama the Destroyer of Vital breaths; kruddham = full of wrath; sadrumam = aimed with a tree; praNahaariNam = and taking off lives; raakSasaaH = the demons; vipradudruvuH = took to flight.
Seeing that Hanuman, like unto Yama the Destroyer of vital Breaths, full of wrath armed with a tree and taking off lives, the demons took of flight.
तम् आपतन्तम् सम्क्रुद्धम् राक्षसानाम् भय आवहम् |
ददर्श अकम्पनो वीरश् चुक्रोध च ननाद च || ६-५६-२५
25. viiraH = the valiant; akampanaH = Akampana; dadarsha = beheld; tam = that Hanuman; samkruddham = who was enraged; aapatantam = and rushing on; bhayaavaham = sowing terror; raakSasaanaam = among his demons; chukSobha cha = was greatly perturbed; nanaada cha = and set up a mighty shout.
The valiant Akampana, beholding that Hanuman who was enraged and rushing on, sowing terror among his soldiers, was greatly perturbed and set up a mighty shout.
स चतुर्दशभिर् बाणैह् शितैर् देह विदारणैः |
निर्बिभेद हनूमन्तम् महा वीर्यम् अकम्पनः || ६-५६-२६
26. saH akampanaH = that Akampana; dasha dashabhiH = with his fourteen; nishitaiH = sharp; baaNaiH = arrows; deha daaraNaiH nirbibhedha = pierced that tore the body; mahaa viiryam = the highly valiant; hanumantam = Hanuman.
With fourteen sharp arrows that tore the flesh, that Akampana pierced the highly valiant Hanuman.
स तथा प्रतिविद्धस् तु बह्वीभिह् शर वृष्टिभिः |
हनूमान् ददृशे वीरह् प्ररूढ;इव सानुमान् || ६-५६-२७
27. viprakiirNaH = Riddled; shita shaktibhiH = with sharp-pointed; naaraachaiH = iron shafts; saH viiraH = that warrior; hanumaan = Hanuman; dadR^ishe = appeared; saanumaaniva = like a mountain; pravuuDhaH = on which number of plants sprang up.
Riddled with sharp-pointed shafts, that warrior Hanuman appeared like a mountain on which a number of plants shooted up.
विरराज महावीर्यो महाकायो महाबलः |
पुष्पिताशोकसम्काशो विधूम इव पावकः || ६-५६-२८
28. mahaabalaH = the mighy Hanuman; mahaaviiryaH = of great strength; mahaa kaayaH = with a large body; viraraaja = shone; paavakaH iva = like a fire; vidhuumaH = without smoke; puSpitaashoka samkaashaH = and resembling an Ashoka tree in flowering.
That mighty Hanuman of great strength with a large body shone like a fire without smoke and resembled a blooming Ashoka tree.
ततो अन्यम् वृक्षम् उत्पाट्य कृत्वा वेगम् अनुत्तमम् |
शिरस्य् अभिजघान आशु राक्षस इन्द्रम् अकम्पनम् || ६-५६-२९
29. tatH = thereafter; kR^itvaa = showing; anuttamam = a great; vegam = haste; utpaaTya = in uprooting; anyam = another; vR^ikSam = tree; (Hanuman); jaghaana = struck; aashu = quickly; shirasi = on the head; akampanam = of Akampana; raakSasendram = the General of demons.
Thereafter, showing a great haste in uprooting another tree, Hanuman struck the head of Akampana the General of demons.
स वृक्षेण हतस् तेन सक्रोधेन महात्मना |
राक्षसो वानर इन्द्रेण पपात स ममार च || ६-५६-३०
30. hataH = struck; vR^ikSeNa = with a tree; tena vaanarendraNa = by that Hanuman; sakrodhena = the enraged; mahaatmanaa = and the high-souled; saH = that; raakSasaH = demon; papaata = fell down; mamaaracha = and died.
Struck with a tree by that high-souled and enraged Hanuman, that demon fell down and died.
तम् दृष्ट्वा निहतम् भूमौ राक्षस इन्द्रम् अकम्पनम् |
व्यथिता राक्षसाह् सर्वे क्षिति कम्प;इव द्रुमाः || ६-५६-३१
31. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; tam akampanam = that Akampana; raakSasendram = the leader of demons; bhummau = on the ground; nihatam = killed; sarve = all; raakSasaaH = the demons; vyathitaaH = were perturbed; drumaaH iva = as trees; kSitikampe = during an earth-quake.
Seeing their leader Akampana lying lifeless on earth, all the demons trembled as the trees do during an earthquake.
त्यक्त प्रहरणाह् सर्वे राक्षसास् ते पराजिताः |
लङ्काम् अभिययुस् त्रस्ता वानरैस् तैर् अभिद्रुताः || ६-५६-३२
32. sarve = all; te = those; paraajitaaH = defeated; raakSasaaH = demons; abhiyayuH = were going; laN^kaam = towards Lanka; traasaa = due to fear; tyakta praharaNaaH = abandoning their weapons; abhidrutaaH = and having been attacked; taiH vaanaraiH = by those monkeys.
All those defeated warriors, throwing their arms, escaped in the direction of Lanka, terrified, pursued by those monkeys.
ते मुक्त केशाः सम्भ्रान्ता भग्न मानाह् पराजिताः |
स्रवत् श्रम जलैर् अन्गैह् श्वसन्तो विप्रदुद्रुवुः || ६-५६-३३
33. mukta keshaaH = their hair loosened; sambhraantaaH = bewildered; bhagnamaanaaH = their pride broken; paraajitaaH = by the defeated; aN^gaiH = their limbs; sravachchhramajalaiH = dripping with sweat; te = those demons; vipradudruvuH = fled; shvasantaH = blowing out their breaths.
Their hair loosened, bewildered, their pride broken by defeat, their limbs dripping with sweat, those demons fled, blowing out their breaths.
अन्योन्यम् प्रममन्तुस् ते विविशुर् नगरम् भयात् |
पृष्ठतस् ते सुसम्मूढाह् प्रेक्षमाणा मुहुर् मुहुः || ६-५६-३४
34. sammuuDhaaH = mad; bhayaat = with fear; prekSyamaaNaaH = looking; pR^iSThataH = back; muhurmuhuH = again and again; pramathnantaH = crushing; anyonyam = each other; te = they; vivishuH = entered; nagaram = the city.
Mad with fear, looking back again and again and crushing each other in haste, they entered the city.
तेषु लन्काम् प्रविष्टेषु राक्षसेषु महा बलाः |
समेत्य हरयह् सर्वे हनूमन्तम् अपूजयन् || ६-५६-३५
35. teSu raakSaseSu = (when) those demons; praviSTeSu = had entered; laNkaam = Lanka; sarve = all; mahaabalaaH = the mighty; harayaH = monkeys; sametya = approached; hanuumantam = Hanuman; apuujayan = and paid homage (to him).
When those demons had entered Lanka, all the mighty monkeys approached Hanuman and paid homage to him.
सो अपि प्रहृष्टस् तान् सर्वान् हरीन् सम्प्रत्यपूजयत् |
हनूमान् सत्त्व सम्पन्नो यथा अर्हम् अनुकूलतः || ६-५६-३६
36. saH = that; hanumaanapi = Hanuman; sattva sampannaH = of noble nature; sampratya puujayat = honoured; sarvaan = all; taan = those; prahR^iSTaH = delighted; hariin = monkeys; yathaarham = in accord with their rank; anukuulataH = as per the occasion.
That Hanuman, of noble nature honoured all those delighted monkeys, in accord with their rank and the occasion.
विनेदुसः च यथा प्राणम् हरयो जित काशिनः |
चकर्षुसः च पुनस् तत्र सप्राणान् एव राक्षसान् || ६-५६-३७
37. jitakaashinaH = the triumphant; harayaH = monkeys; vineduH = shouted; yathaa praaNam = in accord with their might; punaH = and once again; chakR^iSushcha = dragged; raakSesaan = the demons; sapraaNaaneva = who were still alive; tatra = there on the battle field.
The triumphant monkeys shouted in accord with their nighty and once again dragged the demons who were still alive there on the battle-field.
स वीर शोभाम् अभजन् महा कपिः |
समेत्य रक्षांसि निहत्य मारुतिः |
महा असुरम् भीमम् अमित्र नाशनम् |
यथैव विष्णुर् बलिनम् चमू मुखे || ६-५६-३८
38. saH mahaakapiH = that great monkey; maarutiH = born of Maruta; sametya = having encountered; nihatya = and killed; rakSaamsi = the demons; abhajat = enjoyed; viira shobham = the heroic lustre; viSNuryathaa = as Vishnu; (when he overcame); mahaasuram = the mighty demons; bhiimam = of terror; urubalam = of immense power; amitranaashanam = destroying his enemies; chamuumukhe = in the forefront of the battle.
That great monkey, born of Maruta having encountered and killed the demons, enjoyed the same renown as Vishnu when he overcame the mighty and terrific demon of immense power destroying his enemies in the forefront of the battle.
अपूजयन् देव गणास् तदा कपिम् |
स्वयम् च रामो अतिबलश् च लक्ष्मणह् |
तथैव सुग्रीव मुखाह् प्लवम् गमा |
विभीषणश् चैव महा बलस् तदा || ६-५६-३९
39. tadaa = then; devagaNaaH = the troops of deities; raamaH = along with Rama; svayam = himself; atibalaH = the exceedingly strong; lakSmaNaH cha = Lakshmana; tathaiva = and; sugriiva mukhaaH = Sugreeva etal; plavaNgamaaH = the monkeys; tathaa = and; mahaabalaH = the mighty; vibhiiSaNashchaiva = Vibhishana; apuujayam = paid homage; kapim = to Hanuman.
Then, the troops of deities along with Rama himself, the exceedingly strong Lakshmana, Sugreeva and other monkeys and the mighty Vibhishana paid homage to Hanuman.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे षट्पञ्चाशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© March 2006, K. M. K. Murthy
Read more about:
hanuman and verse
HTML moved by Go FTP FREE Software