Ravana sends Vajradamstra, another demon to kill Rama, Sugreeva and his monkeys. Vajradamstra and his army emerge from the southern gate where Angada, the General of the Monkeys is stationed. The monkeys had a tough fight with the demons. Angada, the leader of the monkeys strikes the terrible strong demons, chopping off their heads.
धूम्राक्षं निहतम् दृष्ट्वा रावणो राक्षसेश्वरः |
क्रोधेन महताविष्टो निःश्वसन्नुरगो यथा || ६-५३-१
दीर्घमुष्टं विनिःश्वस्य क्रोधेन कलुषीकृतः |
अब्रवीदाक्षसं क्रूरं वज्रदंष्ट्रं महाबलम् || ६-५३-२
1; 2. shrutvaa = hearing; dhuumraakSam = Dhumraksha; nihatam = having been killed; raavaNaH = Ravana; raakSasesvaraH = the king of demons; aaviSTaH = was possessed; krodhena = of anger; mahataa = greatly; niHshvasan = hissing; urago yathaa = like a serpent; viniHshvasya = sighing; diirgham = long; uSNam = and hot; kaluSikR^itaH = and polluted; krodhena = by anger; abraviit = spoke; vajradamSTram = to Vajradamshtra; raakSasam = a demon; kruuram = who was cruel; mahaabalam = and mighty.
Hearing the death of Dhumraksha, Ravana the King of demons was possessed of anger and began to hiss like a serpent. Polluted by anger, with long and burning sighs, he addressed the cruel and mighty Vajradamshtra, a demon (as follows)
गच्छत्वं वीर निर्याहि राक्षनैः परिवारितः |
जहि दाशरथिं रामं सुग्रीवं वानरैः सह || ६-५३-३
3. viira = O; warrior!; tvam = you; gachha = proceed niryaahi = go ahead; parivaaritaH = surrounded; raakSasaiH = by demons; jahi = slay; raamam = Rama; daasharathim = the son of Dasaratha; sugriivam = Sugriiva; vaanaraiH saha = along with his monkeys!
"O, warrior! Go ahead as the head of the demons and slay Rama the son of Dasaratha, as also Sugreeva and his monkeys!"
तथेत्युक्त्वा क्रुततरं मायावी राक्षसेश्वरः |
निर्जगाम बलैः सार्थं बहुभिः परिवारितः || ६-५३-४
नागैरश्वैः खरैरुष्ट्रैः संयुक्तः सुसमाहितः |
पताकाध्वजचित्रैश्च रथैश्च समलंकृतः || ६-५३-५
4; 5. raakSaseshvaraH = that leader of the demons; maayaavii = a conjurer; uktvaa = saying; tathaa it = "So it be" parivaaritaH = surrounded; bahubhiH = by many; balaiH saardham = along with the army; samyuktaH = accompanied; naagaiH = by elephants; ashvaiH = horses; kharaiH = mules; uSTraiH = camels; rathaiH = and chariots; pataakadhvajachitraiH = conspicuous with flags and banners; nirjagaama = set out; susamaahitaH = with a well-attentive mind; samalankR^itaH = and well-prepared.
"So it be" answered the leader of the demons who was a conjurer and departed with many divisions of the army that surrounded him. With the utmost attention, he assembled teams of elephants, horses mules camels and chariots adorning them with conspicuous flags and banners and he himself was well-prepared.
ततो विचित्रकेयूरमुकुटेन विभूषितः |
तनुत्रं च समावृत्य सधनुर्निर्ययौ द्रुतम् || ६-५३-६
6. tataH = then; vibhuuSitaH = adorned; vichitra keyuura mukuTena = with colourful bracelets and a diadem; samaavR^itya = well-covered; tanutramcha = by an armour; sadhanuH = along with a bow; (he); drutam = immediately; nirvayau = started.
Adorned with colourful bracelets and a diadem, Vajradamshtra set out immediately, wielding a bow and well-covered by an armour.
पताकालंकृतं दीप्तं तप्तकाञ्चनभूषितम् |
रथम् प्रदक्षिणम् कृत्वा समारोहच्चमूपतिः || ६-५३-७
7. chamnupatiH = that army-general; pradakSiNam kR^itvaa = circumambulated; samaarohat = and ascended; ratham = his chariot; pataakaalamkR^itam = decorated with flags; diiptam = and shiningly; tapta kaan^chana bhuuSitam = adorned with pure gold.
That army-general circumambulated and ascended his chariot, duly decorated with flags and shiningly adorned with purpose.
यष्टिभिस्तोमरैश्चित्रैः श्लक्ष्लैश्च मुसलैरपि |
भिन्दिपालैश्च चापैश्च शक्तिभिः पट्टिशैरपि || ६-५३-८
खड्गैश्चक्रैर्गदाभिश्च निशितैश्च परश्वधैः |
पदातयश्च निर्यान्ति विविधाः शस्त्रपाणयः || ६-५३-९
8; 9. padaatayashcha = Infantry; vividhaaH = of every kind; niryaanti = issued forth; shastra paaNayaH = furnished in hand with weapons; yaSTabhiH = (such as) clubs; chitraiH = excellent; tomaraiH = javelins; shlakSNaiH = smooth; musalairapi = pestles; bhindipaalaishcha = harpoons; chaapaishcha = bows; shaktibhiH = lances; paTTishairapi = spears; khaDgaiH = swords; chakraiH = discus; gadaabhishcha = maces; nishitaiH = and sharp; parashvadhaiH = axes.
Infantry of every kind issued forth, furnished in their hands with weapons such as clubs, excellent javelins, smooth pestles, harpoons, bows, lances, spears, swords, discus, maces and sharp axes.
विचित्रवाससः सर्वे दीप्ता राक्षसपुङ्गवाः |
गज मदोत्कटाः शूराश्चलन्त इव पर्वता || ६-५३-१०
10. sarve = all; raakSasapuNgaraah = those excellent demons; diiptaaH = in their resplendent; vichitra vaasasaH = and coloured uniforms; shuuraaH = full of strength; (mounted); gajaaH = on elephants; madotkaTaaH = furious with rut; chalantaH = parvataaH iva = resembled moving hills.
All those excellent demons in their resplendent and coloured uniforms, full of strength and mounted on elephants furious with rut, resembled moving mountains.
ते युद्धकुशला रूढास्तोमराङ्कुवाः |
अन्ये लक्षणसंयुक्ताः शूरारूढा महाबलाः || ६-५३-११
11. te = those elephants; ruuDhaaH = mounted; tomaraaN^kusha paaNibhiH = by warriors bearing lances and goads; yuddha kushalaaH = were skilled in was-fare; anye = some other elephants; lakSaNa samyuktaaH = having good qualities; shuuraaruuDhaaH = mounted by valiant demons; mahaabalaaH = were mighty in strength.
All those excellent demons in their resplendent and coloured uniforms, full of strength and mounted on elephants furious with rut, resembled moving mountains.
तद्राक्षसबलं सर्वं विप्रस्थितमशोभत |
प्रावृट्काले यथा मेघा नर्दमानाः सविद्युतः || ६-५३-१२
निःसृता दक्षिणद्वारादङ्गदो यत्र यूथपः |
12. tat = that; sarvam = whole; raakSasa balam = army of demons; viprasthitam = paraded; ashobhata = looking as brilliant; meghaaH yathaa = as the clouds; savidyutaH = with lightning; nardamaanaaH = and sound; praavR^itaa = they emerged; dakSiNa dvaaraat = from the southern gate; yatra = where; yuuthapaH = the General; aNgadaH = Angada ( is stationed).
That whole army of demons paraded, looking as brilliant as the clouds, with lightning and sound in the rainy season. They emerged from the southern gate where the General Angada is stationed.
तेषां निष्क्रममाणानामशुभं समजायत || ६-५३-१३
आकाशाद्विघनात्तीव्रादुल्मुका न्यपतंस्तदा |
वमन्तः पावकज्वालाः शिवा घोरा ववाशिरे || ६-५३-१४
13; 14. teSaam = (While) those demons; niSkramaaNaam = set forth; ashubham = inauspicious portents; ajaayata = appeared; tadaa = then; vighanaat = from a cloudless; tiivraat = yet burning; aakaashaat = sky; ulmukaani = meteors; apatan = fell; ghoraaH = fearful; shiraaH = jackals; vavaashire = (emitting) their howls; vamantaH = belched forth; paavakajraalaaH = flames and fire.
While those demons set forth, inauspicious portents appeared. From a cloudless yet burning sky, meteors fell. Fearful jackals, emitting their howls, belched forth flames and fire.
व्याहरन्त मृगा घोरा रक्षसां निधनं तदा |
समापतन्तो योधास्तु प्रास्खलंस्तत्र दारुणम् || ६-५३-१५
15. ghoraaH = the dreadful; mR^igaaH = animals; tadaa = then; vyaaharanta = foretold; midhanam = teh destruction; rakSasaam = of the demons; yodhaastu = the warriors; samaapatantaH = entering the combat; praaskhalam = stumbled; tatra = there daaruNam = miserably.
The dreadful beasts then foretold destruction of demons, who while entering the combat, stumbled miserably.
एतानौत्पातिकान् दृष्ट्वा वज्रदंष्ट्रो महाबलः |
धैर्यमालम्ब्य तेजस्वी निर्जगाम रणोत्सुकः || ६-५३-१६
16. dR^iSTvaa = (Even after) seeing; etaan = these; outpaatikaan = portents; vajradamSTraH = Vjradamshtra; mahaabalaH = of exceeding prowess; tejasvii = and sharpness; aalambhya = shored up; dhairyam = courage; nirjagaama = and set out (for the combat); roNotsukaH = being fond of the battle.
Ever after seeing these portents Vajradamshtra of exceeding prowess and sharpness, shored up courage and being fond of battle, set out for the combat.
तांस्तु निष्क्रमतो दृष्ट्वा वानरा जितकाशिनः |
प्रणेदुः सुमहानादान् पूरयंश्च दिशो दशः || ६-५३-१७
17. vaanaraaH = the monkeys; jitakaashinaH = burning for victory; dR^iSTvaa = seeing; taan = then; niSkramataH = advancing; praNeduH = sounded; sumahaanaadaan = very great noises; puurayamshcha = and filled; dasha = the ten; dishaH = quarters.
The monkeys, burning for victory, seeing their enemies advancing, made tremendous shouts which echoed every quarter.
ततः प्रवृत्तं तुमुलं हरीणां राक्षसैः सह |
घोराणाम् भीमरूपाणामन्योन्यवधकान्क्षिणाम् || ६-५३-१८
18. tataH = thereafter; tumulam = a tumultuous battle; pravR^ittam = occured; hariiNaam = (between) monkeys; tathaa = and; rakSasaam = demons; ghoraaNaam = who were cruel; bhiima ruupaaNaam = of fearful forms; anyonya vadhakaaNkSiNaam = and desirous of killing each other.
Thereafter, a tumultuous battle ensured between the monkeys and the demons, who were cruel, of ferocious form and desirous of each other's destruction.
निष्पतन्तो महोत्साहा भिन्नदेहशोरोधराः |
रुधिरोक्षितसर्वाङ्गा न्यपतन्धरणीतले || ६-५३-१९
19. mahotsaahaaH = some warriors of great energy; niSpatantaH = coming for war; bhinna deha shirodharaaH = their necks and bodies severed; nyapatan = fell; dharaNiitale = to the surface of the earth; rudhirokSi ta sarvaaNgaaH = their entire body bathed in blood.
Some warriors of great energy, coming for war, their necks, and bodies severed, fell to the surface of the earth, their entire bodies bathed in blood.
केचिदन्योन्यमासाद्य शूराः परिघपाणयः |
चिक्षिपुर्विविधान् शस्त्रान्समरेष्वनिवर्तिनः || ६-५३-२०
20. kechit shuuraaH = some warriors; anivartinaH = who did not turn back; samre = in battle; parighapaaNayaH = with arms resembling steel; aasaadya = approached; anyonyam = each other; chikSipuH = and threw; vividhaan = various kinds; shastraan = of weapons.
Some other warriors, who did not turn back in battle, with arms resembling steel, approached one another, attacking with various kinds of weapons.
द्रुमाणां च शिलानां च शस्त्राणां चापि निःस्वनः |
श्रूयते सुमहांस्तत्र घोरो हृदयभेदनः || ६-५३-२१
21. sumahaan = an extremely great; ghoraH = and terrible sound; hR^idaya bhedanaH = breaking the hearts; shruuyate = was heard; tatra = there; drumaaNaam = of trees; shilaanaam cha = rocks; shastraaNaam cha api = and even weapons.
An extremely great and terrible noise, breaking the hearts, was heard there from trees, rocks and weapons.
रथनेमि स्वनस्तत्र धनुषश्चापि घोरवत् || ६-५३-२२
शङ्खभेरीमृदङ्गनां बभूव तुमुलः स्वनः |
22. ghoravat = a terrific; rathanemi svnaH = noise of the wheel-rims of chariots; dhanushchaapi = the bow; tumulaH = the shaN^kha bheriimR^idaN^gaanaam = of couches; kettle-drums and tabours; babhuuva = arose; tatra = there.
A terrific noise of the wheel-rims of chariots and the bow, along with the tumultuous sounds of couches, kettle-drums and tabours arose there.
केचिदस्त्राणि संत्यज्य बाहुयुद्धमकुर्वत || ६-५३-२३
तलैश्च चरणैश्चापि मुष्टिभिश्च द्रुमैरपि |
जानुभिश्च हताः केचिद्भग्नदेहाश्च राक्षसाः || ६-५३-२४
शिलाभिश्चूर्णिताः केचिद्वानरैर्युद्धदुर्मदैः |
23; 24. kechit = some demons; samtyajya = leaving; astraaNi = weapons; akurvata = performed; baahuyuddham = battle with their arms; raakshasaaH = the demons; hataaH = were beaten; bhagnadehaaH = and their bodies made fragmented; vaanaraiH = by the monkeys; yuddha durmadaiH = of fighting arrogance; talaishcha = with their palms; charaNaishcha = feet; muSTibhishcha = fists; drumairapi = even trees; jaanubhishcha = knees; kechit = some; chuurNitaa = were crushed to powder; shilaabhiH = by rocks.
Some demons, leaving weapons, performed battle with their arms. The demons were beaten and their bodies made fragmented by the monkeys of fighting arrogance, with their palms, feet, fists, trees and knees. Some demons were crushed to powder with rocks.
वज्रदंष्ट्रो भृशं बानै रणे वित्रासयन् हरीन् || ६-५३-२५
च्चार लोकसम्हारे पाशहस्त इवान्तकः |
25. bhR^isham = tremendously; vitraayasan = frightening; hariin = the monkeys; raNe = in the battle; baaNaiH = by his arrows; vajradamSTraH = Vajradamshtra; chachaara = moved himself; antakaH iva = like Yama the God of Death; loka samhaare = at the time of destroying the words; paasha hastaH = with a noose in his hand.
Tremendously frightening the monkeys in the battle by his arrows, Vajradamshtra moved himself in the battle-field like Yama the God of Death moving at the time of dissolution of the worlds, wielding a noose in his hand.
बलवन्तोऽस्त्रविदुषो नानाप्रहरणा रणे || ६-५३-२६
जघ्नर्वानरसैन्यानि राक्षसाः क्रोधमूर्चिताः |
26. balavantaH = the strong; raakSasaH = demons; astra vidiSaH = skilled in weaponry; naanaa praharaNaaH = and wielding various kinds of weapons; jaghnuH = killed; vaanara sainyaani = the army of monkeys; raNe = in the battle; krodha muurchitaaH = with their increased anger.
The strong demons skilled in weaponry and wielding various kinds of weapons, killed the army of monkeys in that battle, with their increased anger.
जघ्ने तान् राक्षसान् सर्वान् धृष्टो वालिसुतो रणे || ६-५३-२७
क्रोधेन द्विगुणाविष्टः संवर्तक इवानलः |
27. dhR^iSTaH = the courageous; vaalisutaH = Angada; the son of Vali; dviguNaaviSTaH = twice possessed krodhena = by anger; jaghne = killed; sarvaan = all; taan = those; raakSasaan = demons; raNe = in the battle; samvartake analaH iva = like a world destroying fire.
The courageous Angada the son of Vali, twice possessed of anger, killed all those demons in the battle, like a world-destroying fire.
तान् राक्षसगणान् सर्वान्वऋक्षमुद्यम्य वीर्यवान् || ६-५३-२८
अङ्गदह् क्रोधताम्राक्षः सिम्हह् क्षुद्रमृगानिव |
चकार कदनम् घोरम् शक्रतुल्यपराक्रमः || ६-५३-२९
28; 29. viiryavaan = the valiant; aNgadaH = Angada; krodhataamraakSaH = with his raging red eyes; udyamya = lifted; vR^ikSam = a tree; (jaghaana = killed); sarvaan = all; taan = those; raakSasagaNaan = troops of demons; sihaH iva = like a lion (killing); kSudramR^igaan = small animals; shakratulya paraakramaH = Angada; with his prowess resembling that of Indra the Lord of celestials; chakaara = made; ghoram = a terrific kadanam = destroyer of the enemies.
The valiant Angada with his raging red eyes lifted a tree and killed all those troop of demons, like a lion killing small animals. Angada, with his prowess resembling that of Indra the Lord of celestials, brought about a terrific destroyer of the enemies.
अङ्गदाभिहतास्तत्त राक्षसा भीमविक्रमाः |
विभिन्नशिरसः पेतुर्निकृत्ता इव पादपाः || ६-५३-३०
30. bhiima vikramaaH = the terribly strong; raakSasaaH = demons; aN^gadaabhihataaH = struck by Angada; tatra = there; vibhinna shirasaH = with their heads shattered; petuH = fell down; paadapaaH iva = like trees; nikR^ittaaH = chopped off.
The terribly strong demons, struck by Angada there, had their heads shattered and fell down like chopped off trees.
रथैश्चित्रैर्ध्यजैरश्वैः शरीर्हैररिरक्षसाम् |
रुधिरौघेण संचन्ना भूमिर्भयकरा तदा || ६-५३-३१
31. bhuumiH = the earth; tadaa = then; bhayakaraa = appeared fearful; samchannaa = being covered; rathaiH = with chariots; chitraiH = conspicuous; dhvajaiH = flags; ashvaiH = horses; shariiraiH = bodes; harirakSasaam = of monkeys and demons; rudhirougheNa = with streams of blood.
The earth then appeared fearful, it being covered with chariots, conspicuous flags, horses, bodies of monkeys and demons with streams of blood flowing there.
हारकेयूरवस्त्रैश्च चत्रैश्च समलम्कृता |
भूमिर्भाति रणे तत्र शारदीव यथा निशा || ६-५३-३२
32. bhuumiH = the earth; samalamkR^itaa = decorated; raNe = in battle; tatra = there; haara keyuura vastraishcha = with necklaces; bracelets worn on upper arm; garments; chatraishcha = and umbrellas; bhaati = shone; shaaradii nisheva yathaa = like an autumnal night.
That battle-field, decorated with necklaces, bracelets worn on upper arm, garments and umbrellas looked like an autumnal night.
अङ्गदस्य च वेगेन तद्राक्षसबलम् महत् |
प्राकम्पत तदा तत्र पवनेनाम्बुदो यथा || ६-५३-३३
33. vegena = by swiftness; aN^gadasya = of Angada; tat = that; mahat = great; raakSasabalam = army of demons; tatra = there; praakampata = trembled; tadaa = then; ambudoyathaa = like a cloud; vegena = by the swiftness; pavanena = of wind.
By the swiftness of Angada, that great army of demons there trembled then, like a cloud by the swiftness of wind.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्ध काण्डे त्रिपञ्चशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© December 2005, K. M. K. Murthy