Rama recollects the lotus-eyed Seetha and laments much about his separation from her Lakshmana consoles him and there approaches the sun-set.
सा तु नीलेन विधिवत् स्वारक्षा सुसमाहिता |
सागरस्य उत्तरे तीरे साधु सेना विनिएशिता || ६-५-१
1. saa = that army; saa = he famous one; vidhivat = duly; svaarakSaa = well-protected; niilena = by Neela; viniveshitaa = was kept stationed; saadhu = well; uttare tiire = at the northern shore; saagarasya = of the ocean.
That famous army, well-protected by Neela, was kept stationed nicely at the northern shore of the ocean.
मैन्दः च द्विविधः च उभौ तत्र वानर पुम्गवौ |
विचेरतुः च ताम् सेनाम् रक्षा अर्थम् सर्वतो दिशम् || ६-५-२
2. ubhau = both; maindaH ca = Maina; dvividashcaiva = and Divida; vaanara pumgavau = the distinguished; tatra = there monkeys; viceratuH = moved; sarvato disham = in all directions; taam senaam = in that army; rakSaa artham = for the purpose of vigilance.
Both Maina and Dvivida the distinguished monkeys there moved in all directions through that army, for the purpose of vigilance.
निविष्टायाम् तु सेनायाम् तीरे नद नदी पतेः |
पार्श्वस्थम् लक्ष्मणम् दृष्ट्वा रामो वचनम् अब्रवीत् || ६-५-३
3. senaayaam = (after) the army; niviSTaayaam = was settled; tiire = at the shore; nada nadii pate = of the sea; raamaH = Rama; abraviit = spoke; vachanam = these words; dR^iSTvaa = seeing; lakshmaNam = Lakshmana; paarshvastham = at his side.
After the army was settled at the sea-shore, Rama spoke to Lakshmana who was by his side (as follows):
शोकः च किल कालेन गच्चता हि अपगच्चति |
मम च अपश्यतः कान्ताम् अहनि अहनि वर्धते || ६-५-४
4. kila = It is so said; shokaH = (that) sorrow; apagachchhati = gets vanished; gachchhataaa = at the passing; kaalena = of time; mama cha = but my agony; apashyataH = of not seeing kaantaam = my beloved; vardhate = is getting increased; ahanyahani = day n and day out.
"It is so said that sorrow gets vanished at the passing of time. But my agony of not seeing my beloved is getting increased every day."
न मे दुह्खम् प्रिया दूरे न मे दुह्खम् हृता इति च |
तद् एव अनुशोचामि वयो अस्या हि अतिवर्तते || ६-५-५
5. na = no; duHkham = anguish; me = to me;; priyaa = (that) my beloved; duure = is at a distance; na = No; duHkham = anguish; me = to me; hR^iteti cha = tat she was taken away; asyaaH = Her; vayaH = age; ativartate hi = is indeed passing away; amshochaami = I am repenting; eetadeva = only about this.
"There is no anguish for me that my beloved is at a distance, nor that she was taken away. Her age is indeed passing away. Only about this, I am repenting."
वाहि वात यतः कन्या ताम् स्पृष्ट्वा माम् अपि स्पृश |
त्वयि मे गात्र संस्पर्शः चन्द्रे दृष्टि समागमः || ६-५-६
6. vaata = Oh; wind!; vaahi = flow; yataH = from which side; kaantaa = is my beloved; spR^iSTvaa = touch; taam = her; spR^isha = (and) touch; maam api = me too; gaatra sparshaH = contact of her limb; me = to me; tvayi = is obtained through you; dR^iSTisamaagamaH = contact of our eyes; chandre = is through moon."
"Oh, wind! Flow from the side of my beloved. Touch her and touch me too. It is through you that I get a contact of her limbs. It is through moon that I get a contact of her eyes."
तन् मे दहति गात्राणि विषम् पीतम् इव आशये |
हा नाथ इति प्रिया सा माम् ह्रियमाणा यद् अब्रवीत् || ६-५-७
7. saa priyaa = that darling; hriyamaaNaa = being carried away; abraviit iti yat = might have cried; haa naathaa iti = Oh; Lord (seeking for help); tat = It; viSam iva = is like poison; piitam = gulped (by me); aashaye = and hovering in my stomach; dahati = scorching; me = my; gaatraaNi = limbs.
"That darling being carried away; might have cried "Oh, Lord!" Seeking for help. That thought is like poison gulped by me, hovering in my stomach and scorching my limbs."
तद् वियोग इन्धनवता तच् चिन्ता विपुल अर्चिषा |
रात्रिम् दिवम् शरीरम् मे दह्यते मदन अग्निना || ६-५-८
8. me = My; shariiram = body; dahyate = is scorching; raatrim divam = night and day; madanaagninaa = by the fire of passion; tadviyogendhana vataa = holding fuel of my separation from her; tacchintaavimalarchiSaa = and my thoughts of her flaring up into shimmering flames.
"My body is scorching night and day, by the fire of passion, holding fuel of my separation from her and my thoughts of her flaring into shimmering flames."
अवगाह्य अर्णवम् स्वप्स्ये सौमित्रे भवता विना |
कथंचित् प्रज्वलन् कामः समासुप्तम् जले दहेत् || ६-५-९
9. saumitre = OH; Lakshmana!; avagaahya = going deep into; aarNavam = the sea; bhavataa vina = without you; svapasye = I shall fall asleep; prajvalan = flaming; kaamaH = passion; na dahet = will not scorch; maam = me; evam cha = thus; suptam = sleeping; jale = in water.
"Oh, Lakshmana! Diving deep into the sea without you, I shall fall asleep. This flaming passion will not thus scorch me, lying down in water.
बह्व् एतत् कामयानस्य शक्यम् एतेन जीवितुम् |
यद् अहम् सा च वाम ऊरुर् एकाम् धरणिम् आश्रितौ || ६-५-१०
10. etat = this; bahu = is great thing; kaamayaanasya = for me who is passionate; iti yat = that; aham = I; saa vaamoruuH = and that Seetha; with charming thighs aashritau = are resting; ekaam = on one and the same; dharaNim = earth; shakyam = I am able; jiivitum = to survive; etena = on this fact.
"It is enough for me, who is passionate, that Seetha with charming thighs and myself are resting on one the same earth and on this fact I am able to survive."
केदारस्य इव केदारः स उदकस्य निरूदकः |
उपस्नेहेन जीवामि जीवन्तीम् यत् शृणोमि ताम् || ६-५-११
11. yat = that; shruNomi = I am hearing; taam = her; jiivantiim = as surviving; jiivaami = I also survive; kedaaraH iva = as a paddy-field; niruudakaH = without water (survives); upasnehena = getting wet; kedaarasya = by another paddy-field; sodakasya = under water.
"Even as a paddy-field without water survives, by getting wet from a neighboring paddy-field under water, I also survive since I am hearing her as surviving.
कदा तु खलु सुस्शोणीम् शत पत्र आयत ईक्षणाम् |
विजित्य शत्रून् द्रक्ष्यामि सीताम् स्फीताम् इव श्रियम् || ६-५-१२
12. kadaa khalu = when; drakshhyaami = shall I see; siitaam = Seetha; shushroNiim = with charming hips; shata patraayatekshhaNaam = having long lotus-like eyes; sphiitaam = flourishing; shriyamiva = as prosperity; vijitya = by conquering; shatruun = the enemies.
"When shall I behold Seetha with charming hips, having long lotus-like eyes flourishing as prosperity, by conquering the enemies?"
कदा नु चारु बिम्ब ओष्ठम् तस्याः पद्मम् इव आननम् |
ईषद् उन्नम्य पास्यामि रसायनम् इव आतुरः || ६-५-१३
13. kadaa = when; unnamya = raising; iishhat = a little; tasyaaH = her; aananam = face; padmamiva = looking like louts; suchaarudantoshhTham = with its beautiful teeth and lips; paasyaami = shall I drink; rasaayanamiva = as a sovereign drink of remedy; aaturaH = by a sick man?"
"When, gently raising her face looking like louts, with its beautiful teeth and lips, shall I drink as a sick man the sovereign drink of remedy?"
तौ तस्याः सम्हतौ पीनौ स्तनौ ताल फल उपमौ |
कदा नु खलु स उत्कम्पौ हसन्त्या माम् भजिष्यतः || ६-५-१४
14. khalu = when will; tau = those; stanau = breasts; hasantyaaH = which are delightful; sahitau = close; piinau = bulging; sotkampau = and quivering; taalaphalopamau = looking like Palmyra fruits; bhajishhyathaH nu = indeed press; maam = me?
"When will those breasts which are delightful close, bulging and quivering, looking like palmary fruits, indeed press me?"
सा नूनम् असित अपान्गी रक्षो मध्य गता सती |
मन् नाथा नाथ हीना इव त्रातारम् न अधिगच्चति || ६-५-१५
15. saa = she; asitaapaaN^gii = with dark-cornered eyes; rakshhomadhyagataa satii = who has fallen in the middle of ogres; mannaathaa = though I am her support; nuunam = is certainly; naadhigachchhati = not getting; traataaram = any defender; naatha hiinena = resembling an orphan.
"She, with dark-cornered eyes, who has fallen into the midst of demons, is surely not getting any defender, she resembling an orphan, though I am her support."
कदा विक्षोभ्य रक्षांसि सा विधूय उत्पतिष्यति |
राक्षसीमध्यगा शेते स्नुषा दशरथस्य च || ६-५-१६
16. katham = how; janakaraajasya duhitaa = Seetha; the daughter of king Janaka; mama cha = my; priyaa = darling; dasharathasya cha = and Dasaratha's; snushhaa = daughter-in-law; shete = is sleeping; raakshhasiimadhyagaa = in the midst of ogresses?
"How Seetha the daughter of King Janaka, my darling and Dasaratha's daughter-in-law is sleeping among ogresses?"
अविक्षोभ्याणि रक्षांसि सा विधूयोत्पतिष्यति |
विधूय जलदान् नीलान् शशि लेखा शरत्स्व् इव || ६-५-१७
17. saa = Seetha; utpatishhyati = will come out; vidhuuya = driving away (through my force) avikshhobhyaaNi = the unassailable; rakshhaamsi = demons; vidhuuya = as driving away; niilaan = black; jaladaan = clouds; shasilekhaa = by a digit of the moon; sharat su = in autumn.
"Seetha will come out, driving away (through my force) the unassailable demons, as driving away black clouds by a digit of the moon, in autumn."
स्वभाव तनुका नूनम् शोकेन अनशनेन च |
भूयस् तनुतरा सीता देश काल विपर्ययात् || ६-५-१८
18. siitaa = Seetha; svabhaavatanukaa = who; by nature is slender; nuunam = will undoubtedly; bhuuyaH = further; tanutaraa = become more lean; shokena = because of anguish; anashanena = abstinence from food; desha kaalaviparyayaat = and adverse position of time and place.
"Seetha, who by nature is slender, will undoubtedly become leaner further because of her anguish, her abstinence from food and her adverse position of time and place."
कदा नु राक्षस इन्द्रस्य निधाय उरसि सायकान् |
सीताम् प्रत्याहरिष्यामि शोकम् उत्सृज्य मानसम् || ६-५-१९
19. kadaam = when; pratyaharishhyaami = shall I bring back; siitaam = Seetha; nidhaaya = having lodged; saayakaan = arrows; raakshasendrasya = in Ravana's urasi = chest; utsR^ijya = and having abandoned; maanasam = (this) mental; shokam = agony?
"When shall I bring back Seetha, having lodged arrows in Ravana's chest and having abandoned this mental agony?"
कदा नु खलु माम् साध्वी सीता अमर सुता उपमा |
स उत्कण्ठा कण्ठम् आलम्ब्य मोक्ष्यति आनन्दजम् जलम् || ६-५-२०
20. kadaa khalu = when indeed shall; siitaa = Seetha; saadhvii = the virtuous woman; surasutopamaa = similar to the child of a celestial; sotkaNThaa = with an excited longing; aalambya = embrace; me = my; kaNTham = neck; mokshhyati nu = (and) will release; jalam = tears; aanandajam = begotten of joy?
"When indeed Seetha the virtuous lady similar to the child of a celestial, with an excited longing, will embrace my neck and release tears of joy?"
कदा शोकम् इमम् घोरम् मैथिली विप्रयोगजम् |
सहसा विप्रमोक्ष्यामि वासः शुक्ल इतरम् यथा || ६-५-२१
21. kadaa = when; vipramokshhyaami nu = shall I thrillingly abandon; imam = this; ghoram = terrible; shokam = anguish; maithiliiviprayogajam = born out of my separation from; sahasaa = so Seetha soon; shukletaram vaasam yathaa = as (abandoning) a soiled clothing?
"When shall I thrillingly abandon this terrible anguish, born out of my separation from Seetha so soon, as we abandon a soiled clothing?"
एवम् विलपतस् तस्य तत्र रामस्य धीमतः |
दिन क्षयान् मन्द वपुर् भास्करो अस्तम् उपागमत् || ६-५-२२
22. tasya = (while) that; dhiimataH = sagacious; raamasya = Rama; vilapataH = was lamenting; tatra = there; evam- = thus; bhaaskaraH = sun; mandavapuH = sun; dinakshhayaat = due to day-decline; astam upaagataH = approached dusk.
While that sagacious Rama was lamenting thus there, the sun, the weak-rayed due to day-decline, approached the dusk.
आश्वासितो लक्ष्मणेन रामः संध्याम् उपासत |
स्मरन् कमल पत्र अक्षीम् सीताम् शोक आकुली कृतः || ६-५-२३
23. aashvaasitaH = consoled; lakshmaNena = by Lakshmana; raamaH = Rama; shokaakuliikR^itaH = made overcome by anguish; smarau = recollecting; siitaam = Seetha; kamelapatraakshhiim = the lotus-eyes; upaasataH = worshipped; sandhyaam = the evening-twilight.
Lakshmana consoled Rama who was overwhelmed with anguish, duly recollecting the lotus-eyed Seetha. Thereafter, Rama worshipped the evening-twilight.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामयणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डेपञ्चमः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© April 2003, K. M. K. Murthy
Further info on
Site transferred by FREE Go FTP Software