Returning to consciousness, Rama laments over the plight of Lakshmana, who was lying unconscious. The foremost of monkeys too were plunged in grief and despondency on seeing Rama lamenting as aforesaid. In the meantime, Vibhishana approaches Rama and the monkeys flee away, mistaking him as Indrajit.
घोरेण शर बन्धेन बद्धौ दशरथ आत्मजौ |
निश्वसन्तौ यथा नागौ शयानौ रुधिर उक्षितौ || ६-४९-१
सर्वे ते वानर श्रेष्ठाह् ससुग्रीवा महा बलाः |
परिवार्य महात्मानौ तस्थुह् शोक परिप्लुताः || ६-४९-२
1; 2. baddhau = bound; ghoreNa = by that formidable; sharabandhena = net work of arrows; mahaatmanau = the high-souled; dasharaatmajau = sons of Dasaratha (Rama and lakshmana); shayaanau = lay; rudhirokSitau = bathed in blood; niHshvasantau = breething; naagau yathau = like serpants; sarve = all; te vaanarashreSThaH = those foremost of monkeys; mahaabalaah = who were exceedingly stron; sa sugriivaaH = including Sugreeva; shokapariplutaaH = plunged in grief; tasthuH = were standing; parivaarya = round; (the two illustrious warriors).
Bound by that formidable network of arrows, the two high-souled sons of dasaratha lay bathed in blood, breathing like serpants. All those foremost of monkeys who were exceedingly strong, including Sugreeva, plunged in grief, were standing around those two illustrious warriors.
एतस्मिन्न् अन्तेरे रामह् प्रत्यबुध्यत वीर्यवान् |
स्थिरत्वात् सत्त्व योगाच् च शरैह् संदानितो अपि सन् || ६-४९-३
3. etasmin antare = in the meanwhile; viiryavaan = the mighty; raamaH = Rama; sthiratvaat sattvayogaat cha = by virtue of his hardihood and native strength; pratyabuddhata = awoke from his sworn; samdaanito.api shaaiH = despite the shifts that held him captive.
In the meanwhile, the mighty Rama by virtue of his hardihood and native strength, awoke from his swwon, despite the shafts that held him captive.
ततो दृष्ट्वा सरुधिरम् विषण्णम् गाढम् अर्पितम् |
भ्रातरम् दीन वदनम् पर्यदेवयद् आतुरः || ६-४९-४
4. tataH = then; dR^iSTvaa = beholding; bhraataram = his brother; sarudhiram = discharging blood; niSaNNam = unconcious; gaaDham = firmly; arpitam = thrown on the floor; diinavadanam = and with a melancholic face; paryadevayat = (Rama) lamented; aaturaH = full of grief (thus):
Then, beholding his brother, bleeding unconscious, firmly thrown on teh floor, and his features changed, Rama full of grief lamented thus:
किम् नु मे सीतया कार्यम् किम् कार्यम् जीवितेन वा |
शयानम् यो अद्य पश्यामि भ्रातरम् युधि निर्जितम् || ६-४९-५
5. kim nu kaaryam = of what use; siitayaa = is the recovery of Seetha; kim kaaryam vaa = or of what use; jiivitena = is even life itself; me = to me; yaH = since; pashyaami = I am seeing; bhraataram = my brother; adya = now; shayaanam = lying; nirjitam = subdued; yudhi = in the fihgt.
"Of what use to me is the recovery of Seetha or even life itself, since my brother now lying, before my eyes, has been struck down in teh fight?"
शक्या सीता समा नारी प्राप्तुम् लोके विचिन्वता |
न लक्ष्मण समो भ्राता सचिवह् साम्परायिकः || ६-४९-६
6. shakyaa = It can be possible; vichinvataa = if I were to look for her; (to find); naarii = a consort; siitaasamaa = equal to Seetha; martyaloke = in the world of mortals; na = but not; bhraataa = a brother; sachivaH = a friend; saamparaayikaH = and a comrade in a hostile war; lakSmaNaH samaH = such as Lakshmana.
"It can be possible, if I were to look for her, to find a consort equal to Seetha in this world of mortals but not a brother, a friend and a comrade in a hostile war, such as Lakshmana!"
परित्यक्ष्याम्य् अहम् प्राणान् वानराणाम् तु पश्यताम् |
यदि पन्चत्वम् आपन्नह् सुमित्र आनन्द वर्धनः || ६-४९-७
7. aapannaH yadi = If he has returned; paNchatvam = to the five elements; sumitraananda vardhanaH = he; the increaser of Sumitra's joy; aham = I; parityakSyaami = will yield up; praaNaan = my life-breaths; vaanaraNaam = (while) the monkeys; pashyataam = stand looking on.
"If Lakshmana returned to the five elements, he the increaser of Sumitra's joy, I will yield up my life-breaths while the monkeys stand looking on."
किम् नु वक्ष्यामि कौसल्याम् मातरम् किम् नु कैकयीम् |
कथम् अम्बाम् सुमित्रांच पुत्र दर्शन लालसाम् || ६-४९-८
8. kim nu vakSyaami = what shall I say; maataram = to my mother; kausalyaam = Kausalya?; kim nu = what shall I tell; kaikeyiim = to Kaikeyi?' katham = and how can I talk; ambaam = to my mother; sumitraam = Sumitra; putra darshanalaalasaam = who is keenly sighing for the sight of her son.
"What shall I say to my mother, Kausalya or to Kaikeyi? How can I talk to my mother Sumitra, sighing for the sight of her son?"
विवत्साम् वेपमानाम् च क्रोशन्तीम् कुररीम् इव |
कथम् आश्वासयिष्यामि यदि यास्यामि तम् विना || ६-४९-९
9. katham = How; aashvaasayiSyaami = shall I console; (Sumitra); vepamaanaam cha = trembling; kroshantiim = and crying out; kurariimiva = like an osprey; vivatsaam = bereft of her son; Lakshmana; yaasyaami yadi = if I return (to Ayodhya); tam vinaa = without Lakshmana.
"How shall I console Sumitra, trembling and crying out like an osprey, bereft of her son, if I return to Ayodhya without lakshmana?"
कथम् वक्ष्यामि शत्रुघ्नम् भरतम् च यशस्विनम् |
मया सह वनम् यातो विना तेन आगतह् पुनः || ६-४९-१०
10. katham = how; vakSyaami = shall I tell shatrughnam = Shatrughna; yashashvinam = and the illustrious; bharatam = Bharata; aham = (when) I; aagataH = return; tena vinaa = without Lakshmana; yaataH = who followed; vanam = to the forest; mayasaha = along with me?
"How shall I tell Shatrughna and the illustrious Bharata when I return without Lakshmana, who followed to the forest along with me?"
उपालम्भम् न शक्ष्यामि सोढुम् बत सुमित्रया |
इह एव देहम् त्यक्ष्यामि न हि जीवितुम् उत्सहे || ६-४९-११
11. bata = Alas!; na shakSyaami = I should not be able; soDhum = to endure; upaalambham = the reproaches; sumitrayaa = of Sumitra; tyakSyaami = I will leave; deham = my body; ihaiva = here itself; na utsahe = I do not wish; jiivitum = to live.
"Alas! I should not be able to endure Sumitra's reproaches. I will leave my body here itself. I do not wish to continue living."
धिग् माम् दुष्कृत कर्माणम् अनार्यम् यत् कृते ह्य् असौ |
लक्ष्मणह् पतितह् शेते शर तल्पे गत असुवत् || ६-४९-१२
12. dhik = woe; maam = unto me; duSkR^ita karmaaNam = to my wicked deed anaaryam = and to my lack of nobility; matkR^ite = through my fault; asau = this; lakSmaNaH = Lakshmana; paatitaH = was befallen; shete hi = and lies indeed; sharatalpe = on a bed of arrows; gataasuvat = as me who has yielded up his life!
"Woe unto me to my wicked deed and to my lack of nobility. Through my fault, Lakshmana has fallen and lies indeed on a bed of arrows as on who has yielded up his life!"
त्वम् नित्यम् सुविषण्णम् माम् आश्वासयसि लक्ष्मण |
गत असुर् न अद्य शक्नोषि माम् आर्तम् अभिभाषितुम् || ६-४९-१३
13. lakSmaNa = O; Lakshmana!; tvam = you aashvaasayasi = used to console; maam = me; nityam = always; suviSaNNam = whenever I was in a great sorrow; gataasuH = you; having lost your life; naasi = are not; shaktaH = able; abhibhaaSitum = to talk; maam = to me; aartam = afflicted with grief.
"O, Lakshmana! You always used to consoe me whenever I was in a great sorrow. You, having lost your life now are not able to allay my sufferings with your words."
येन अद्य बहवो युद्धे राक्षसा निहताह् क्षितौ |
तस्याम् एव क्षितौ वीरह् स शेते निहतह् परैः || ६-४९-१४
14. tvam yena = You; who; yuddhe = in this battle; adya = today; nihataaH = struck down; bahavaH = innumerable; raakSasaaaH = demons; kSitau = to the earth; sheSe = are fallen; nihataH = pierced; sharaiH = by darts; shuuraH = like a hero; tasyaameva = on the self same field.
"You, who in this battle today, struck down inummerable demons to the earth, are fallen, pierced by darts, like a hero on the self same field."
शयानह् शर तल्पे अस्मिन् स्व शोणित परिप्लुतः |
शर जालैश् चितो भाति भास्करो अस्तम् इव व्रजन् || ६-४९-१५
15. shayaanaH = lying; asmin sharatalpe = on this bed of arrows; shoNitapariplutaH = bathed in blood; chitaH = you are piled up; sharajaalaiH = in a heap of arrows; saH = you; as such; bhaasi = look; bhaaskaraH iva = like the sun; vrajan = setting behind; astam = the horizon.
"Lying on this bed of arrows, bathed in blood, you are piled up; sharajaalaiH= in a heap of arrows; saH= you, as such; bhaasi= look; bhaaskaraH= iva= like the sun; vrajan= setting behind; astam= the horizon.
बाण अभिहत मर्मत्वान् न शक्नोत्य् अभिवीक्षितुम् |
रुजा च अब्रुवतो ह्य् अस्य दृष्टि रागेण सूच्यते || ६-४९-१६
16. baaNaabhihata marmatvaat = your vital parts having been pierced with arrows; na shaknoti = you are not able even; abhibhaaSitum = to speak (now); abruvato.api = eventhough you are not speaking; asya rujaa = your agony; suuchyate = is disclosed; dR^iSTiraageNa = by the redness of your eyes.
"Your vital parts having been pierced with arrows, you are not able even to speak now. Eventhough you not speaking, your agony is disclosed by the redness of your eyes."
यथा एव माम् वनम् यान्तम् अनुयातो महा द्युतिः |
अहम् अप्य् अनुयास्यामि तथैव एनम् यम क्षयम् || ६-४९-१७
17. anuyaasyaami = I shall follow; enam = him; yamakSayam = to the region of Yama; yathaiva = as; mahadyutuH = that illustrious warrior anuyaataH = accompanied; maam = me; ahamapi = when I; yaantam = retired; vanam = to the forest.
"I shall follow him to the region of Yama, as that illustrious warrior accompanied me when I retired to the forest."
इष्ट बन्धु जनो नित्यम् माम् च नित्यम् अनुव्रतः |
इमाम् अद्य गतो अवस्थाम् मम अनार्यस्य दुर्नयैः || ६-४९-१८
18. nityam = He who ever; iSTa bandhu janaH = loved his own kinsfolk; anuvrataH = and was filled with devotion; maam = for me; gataH = got; imaam = this; avasthaam = state; durnayaiH = to which the misdeeds; mama = of me; (have brought him); wretched that I am !
"He who loved his own kinsfolk and was filled iwth devotion for me, got this state to which my misdeeds have brought him, wretched that I am!"
सुरुष्टेन अपि वीरेण लक्ष्मणेना न संस्मरे |
परुषम् विप्रियम् वा अपि श्रावितम् न कदाचन || ६-४९-१९
19. na samsmare = I do not remember; shraavitam = to have heard; kadaachana = at any time; paruSam = harsh; vipriyam = and hateful words; lakSmaNena = by lakshmana; viireNa = the valiant man; suruSTenaapi = even if he is deeply provoked.
"I do not remember to have heard any harsh or hateful words from that valiant Lakshmana, even if he is deeply provoked."
विससर्ज एक वेगेन पन्च बाण शतानि यः |
इष्व् अस्त्रेष्व् अधिकस् तस्मात् कार्तवीर्याच् च लक्ष्मणः || ६-४९-२०
20. yaH = he who; visasarja = was able to loose; paNcha baaNa shataani = five hundred arrows; eka vegena = in one shot; tasmaat = such; lakSmaNaH = Lakshmana; adhikaH = was surpassing; kaartaviiryaat cha = Kartavirya himself; iSvastreSu = in the science of archery.
"Lakshmana, who was able to loose five hundred arrows in one shot, was surpassing kartavirya himself in the science of archery."
अस्त्रैर् अस्त्राणि यो हन्यात् शक्रस्य अपि महात्मनः |
सो अयम् उर्व्याम्हतह् शेते महा अर्ह शयन उचितः || ६-४९-२१
21. saH ayam = this Lakshmana; yaH = who; mahaarha shayanochitaH = was accustomed to a rich couch; astraiH = and who by his arrows; hanyaat = severe; astraanapi = the weapons even; shakrasya = of Indra; mahaatmanaH = the mighty one; shete = is lying; hataH = slain; urvyaam = on the earth.
"This Lakshmana, who was accustomed to a rich couch and who by his arrows severe the weapons the mighty Indra the Lord of celestials, is lying slain on the ground."
तच् च मिथ्या प्रलप्तम् माम् प्रधक्ष्यति न संशयः |
यन् मया न कृतो राजा राक्षसानाम् विभीषणः || ६-४९-२२
22. mithyaa pralaptam = (Those) vain words; na samshayaH = without doubt; pradhakSyati = will consume; maam = me; yat tat = since; vibhiiSaNaH = Vibhishana; na kR^itaH = was not made; rajaa = the king; raakSasaanaam = of demons; mayaa = by me.
"Those vain words uttered by me, will ndoubtedly consume me since I have not made Vibhishana the king of demons."
अस्मिन् मुहूर्ते सुग्रीव प्रतियातुम् इतो अर्हसि |
मत्वा हीनम् मया राजन् रावणो अभिद्रवेद् बली || ६-४९-२३
23. sugriiva = O; Sugreeva!; arhasi = you ought; pratiyaatum = to return; asmin = this; muhuurte = moment; itaH = from here; (since); matvaa = knowing (you are); hiinam = without; mayaa = me; raavanaH = Ravana; abhibhaviSyat = will overcome (you); raajan = O; king!.
"O, Sugreeva! You ought to return at once from here since knowing that you are bereft of my support, Ravana will overcome you, O king!"
अन्गदम् तु पुरस् कृत्य ससैन्यह् ससुहृज् जनः |
सागरम् तर सुग्रीव पुनस् तेन एव सेतुना || ६-४९-२४
24. sugriiva = O; Sugreeva!; tara = re-cross; samudram = the sea; sasainyam = with you army; puraskR^itya = keeping Angada in front; aNgadam puraskR^itya = keeping Angada in front; parichchhadam = with your followers; niilena cha = Nila; nalenacha = and Nala.
"O, Sugreeva! Recross the sea with your army, keeping Angada in front and with your followers, Nila and Nala."
कृतम् हनुमता कार्यम् यद् अन्यैर् दुष्करम् रणे |
ऋक्ष राजेन तुष्यामि गो लान्गूल अधिपेन च || ६-४९-२५
25. tuSyaami = I am fully satisfied; sumahat = by the great; karma = military exploit; kR^itam hi = acccomplished indeed; R^ikSarajena = by Jambavan; the king of Bears; golaaNguuladhipena = and the general of the monkeys; yat = which; duSkaram = was impossible; anyaiH = to any other; raNe = in battle.
"I am fully satisfied by the great military exploit, done by Jambavan the king of Bears and the General of the Monkeys, which was impossible to any other in battle."
अन्गदेन कृतम् कर्म मैन्देन द्विविदेन च |
युद्धम् केसरिणा सम्ख्ये घोरम् सम्पातिना कृतम् || ६-४९-२६
26. karma = A (great) act; kR^itam = was done; aN^gadena = by Angada; maindena = Mainda; dvividena = and Dvivida; ghoram = A terrible; yuddham = combat; kR^itam = was done; kesariNaa = by Kesari; sampaatinaa = and Sampati; samkhye = in the battle-field.
"A great act was done by Angada, Mainda and Dvivida. A terrible combat was done by Kesari and Sampati in the battle-field."
गवयेन गव अक्षेण शरभेण गजेन च |
अन्यैश् च हरिभिर् युद्धम् मद् आर्थे त्यक्त जीवितैः || ६-४९-२७
27. gavayena = by Gavaya; gavaakSeNa = Gavaksha; sharabheNa = Sharabha; gajena = Gaja; anyaiH = and other; haribhishcha = mokeys; tyakta jiivitaiH = who are willing to sacrifice their lives; madarthe = for me; yuddham = the battle was carried on.
"By Gavaya, Gavaksha, Sharabha, Gaja and other monkeys, who are willing to sacrifice their lives for me, the battle was carried on."
न च अतिक्रमितुम् शक्यम् दैवम् सुग्रीव मानुषैः |
यत् तु शक्यम् वयस्येन सुहृदा वा परम् तप || ६-४९-२८
कृतम् सुग्रीव तत् सर्वम् भवता अधर्म भीरुणा |
28. sugriiva = O; Sugreeva!; na cha shakyam = It is not possible; maanushaiH = for mortals; atikramitum = to avoid; daivam = their destiny; sugriiva = O; Sugreeva; paramtapa = the tormentator of enemies!; dharma bhiiruNaa = fearing to fail in your duty; kR^itam = it was done; tvayaa = by you; sarvam = all; tat = that; yatha = which suhR^idaa = a friend; vayasyena = and a comrade; shakyam = could do.
"O, Sugreeva! It is not possible for mortals to avoid their destiny. O, Sugreeva the tormentat of enemies! Fearing to fail in your duty, you have done all that which a friend and a comrade could do."
मित्र कार्यम् कृतम् इदम् भवद्भिर् वानर ऋषभाः || ६-४९-२९
अनुज्नाता मया सर्वे यथा इष्टम् गन्तुम् अर्हथ |
29. vaanararSabhaaH = O; foremost of monkeys!; idam = this; mitra kaaryam = friendly act; kR^itam = has been done; bharadbhiH = by you; sarve = all of you; anujJNaataaH = are being permitted mayaa = by me; arhatha = you ought; gantum = to go; yatheSTam = where it seems best to you!.
"O. foremost of Monkyes! You have accomplished all this due to your friendship. I take leave of you all; go where it seems best to you!"
शुश्रुवुस् तस्य ते सर्वे वानराह् परिदेवितम् || ६-४९-३०
वर्तयाम् चक्रुर् अश्रूणि नेत्रैह् कृष्ण इतर ईक्षणाः |
30. sarve = all; vaanaraaH = the monkeys; kR^iSNatarekSaNaaH = the tawny eyed one; ye = who; shushruvaH = heard; tasya = that Rama's; paridevitam = lamentation; ashruuNi vartayaam chakrire = allowed tears to fall netraiH = from their eyes.
All the tawny eyed monkeys, who heard Rama's lament thus, allowed tears to fall from their eyes.
ततः सर्वाण्य् अनीकानि स्थापयित्वा विभीषणः || ६-४९-३१
आजगाम गदा पाणिस् त्वरितो यत्र राघवः |
31. tataH = thereafter; vibhiiSaNaH = Vibhishana; sthaapayitvaa = having establied order; sarvaaNi = in all; a niikaani = the ranks; gadaa paaNih = mace in his land; aajagaama = come; tvaritam = quickly; yatra = where; raaghava = Rama (was then).
Meanwhile, Vibhishana having established order in all the ranks, with mace in his hand, came quickly to Rama.
तम् दृष्ट्वा त्वरितम् यान्तम् नील अन्जन चय उपमम् || ६-४९-३२
वानरा दुद्रुवुह् सर्वे मन्यमानास् तु रावणिम् |
32. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; tam = him; niilaaNjana chayopamam = who resembled a mass of collyrium; tvaritam yaantam = hastening; (towards them thus); sarve = all; vaanaraaH = the monkeys; manyamaanaaH = thinking; (him) raavaNim = to be Indrajit; the son of Ravana; dudruvuH = fled away.
Seeing him, who resembled a mass of collyrium, hastening towards them thus, all the monkeys thinking him to be Indrajit the son of Ravana, fled away.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे एकोनपञ्चाशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© Sep 2005, K. M. K. Murthy
World Wide view of
verse and locator
Content moved by Go FTP FREE