Seetha, on beholding Rama and Lakshmana, was absorbed in various thoughts like, "The sooth sayers had prophesied that I should never be widowed and would bear sons. How could their prediction become untrue?" However, Trijata reassures her, stating good reasons for Rama and Lakshman to be still alive and cheering her up, takes her back to Ashoka grove.
bhartāram nihatam dṛṣṭvā lakṣmaṇam ca mahā balam |
vilalāpa bhṛśam sītā karuṇam śoka karśitā || 6-48-1
1. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; nihatam = the slain; bhartaaram = husband; mahaabalam = and the exceedingly strong; lakshmaNamcha = Lakshmana; siitaa = Seetha; shoka karshitaa = was emaciated with grief; bhR^isham = very much; vilalaapa = and lamented; karuNtam = pitiably.
Seeing her husband and the mighty Lakshmana having been killed, Seetha was very much emaiated through grief and lamented pitiably (as follows):
ūcur lakṣaṇikā ye mām putriṇy avidhavā iti ca |
te asya sarve hate rāme ajnānino anṛta vādinaḥ || 6-48-2
2. ye = which; laakSaNikaaH = interpretors of marks or signs ( the sooth-sayers); uuchuH = predicted; maam = me; putriNii = to be having children; avidhaveti cha = and without widowhood; te = those; jJNaaninaH = knowledgeable persons; adya = now; anR^itavaadinaH = (are proved to be) liers; raame = (since) Rama; hate = has been killled.
"The sooth sayers, reading the marks and signs on my body, prophesized that I shall bear sons and never be widowed. Now that Rama has been slain, their words have proved to be untrue."
yajvano mahiṣīm ye mām ūcuh patnīm ca satriṇaḥ |
te adya sarve hate rāme ajnānino anṛta vādinaḥ || 6-48-3
3. raame = Since Rama; hate = is slain; sarve = all; te jJNaaninaH = those astrologers; ye = who; uuchuH = predicted; maam patniim = that I should be the companion; sattriNaH = of a sattra sacrifice; mahiSiim = and the consort; yajvanaH = of the performer of great sacrifices; adya = now; anR^itavaadinaH = have become utterers of falsehood.
"Since Rama is slian, all those astrologers, who predicted that I shold be the companio of a sattra sacrifice and the consort of the performer of great sacrifices, now have proved to be utteres of falsehood."
vīra pārthiva patnī tvam ye dhanyā iti ca mām viduḥ |
te adya sarve hate rāme ajnānino anṛta vādinaḥ || 6-48-4
4. adya = now; raame = that Rama; hate = has been slain; sarve = all; te = those; jNaaninaH = sooth-sayers; ye = who; viduH = predicted; bhartR^ipuujitaam = that I should be honoured by my husbaned; viirapaarthiva patniinaam = and by the wives of warriors and kings; anR^ita vaadinaH = are proved not to have spoken truly.
"Now that Rama has been slain, all those sooth-sayers who predicted that I should be honoured by my husband as well as the wives of warriors and kings, are proved to be liars."
ūcuḥ saṃśravaṇe ye mām dvijāh kārtāntikāh śubhām |
te adya sarve hate rāme ajnānino anṛta vādinaḥ || 6-48-5
5. adya = now; raame = that Rama; hate = has beeen slain; sarve = all; te = those; jJNaaninaH = astrologers; kaartaanikaaH dvijaaH = among the wise brahmins; ye = who; samshravaNe = openly; uuchuH = foretold; shubham = happiness; maami = for me; anR^itavaadinaH = are proved to have spoken falsely!;
"Now that Rama has been slain, all those astrologers among the wise brahmins. Who openly foretold that I should remain happy with my husband are proved to have spoken falsely!"
imāni khalu padmāni pādayor yaih kila striyaḥ |
adhirājye abhiṣicyante nara indraih patibhih saha || 6-48-6
6. padmaani khalu = by the marks of lotus indeed; imaani = on these; paadayoH = my feet; yaiH = by which; kulastriyaH = hight-born women; abhiSichyante = are consecreated; aadhiraajye = for an empire; patibhiH saha = with their husbands; narendraH = and kings.
"Yet I bear the marks of lotus on my soles by virtue of which high-born women are consecrated on an imperial throne with their husbands and lords."
vaidhavyam yānti yair nāryo alakṣaṇair bhāgya durlabhāḥ |
na ātmanas tāni paśyāmi paśyantī hata lakṣaṇā || 6-48-7
7. na pashyaami = I do not find; taani = tohse; alakSaNaiH = marks of ill-fortune; yaiH = which; yaanti = betoken; vaidhavyam- widowhood; naaryaH = in women; bhaagya durlabhaaH = who are ill-starred; pashyantii = and as I examine; hata lakSaNaa = all the auspicious signs appear to be rendered void; aatmanaH = for me.
"I do not find those marks of ill-fortune which betoken widowhood in women who are ill-starred and as I examine, all the auspicious signs appear to be rendered void for me."
satyāni imāni padmāni strīṇām uktvāni lakṣaṇe |
tāny adya nihate rāme vitathāni bhavanti me || 6-48-8
8. lakSaNaiH = (These) marks; padmaani = of the lotus; uktaani = said to be; satyanaamaani = good angury; striiNaam = for women; (by the wise men); taani = those marks; me = of mine; bhavanti = have become; vitathaani = meaningless; adya = now; raame = that Rama; nihate = is slain.
"Those marks of the lotus said to be good angury for women by wise men, have become meaningless, now that Rama is slain."
keśāh sūkṣmāh samā nīlā bhruvau ca asamgate mama |
vṛtte ca alomaśe janghe dantāś ca aviralā mama || 6-48-9
9. mam = my; keshaaH = hair; suukSmaaH = is fine; niilaaH = black in clour; samaaH = and smooth; bruvoucha = my eye-brows too; asamhate = are dis-united; mama = my; jaN^ghe = shanks; vR^itte = are well-rounded; aromake = and hair-less; dantaashcha = my teeth; aviralaaH = are contiguous.
"My hair is fine, black in colour and smooth. My eye-brows are disunited. My shanks are hair-less and well rounded. My teeth are contiguous, without any gaps between them."
śankhe netre karau pādau gulphāv ūrū ca me citau |
anuvṛttā nakhāh snigdhāh samāś ca angulayo mama || 6-48-10
10. mama = My; shaNkhe = temples; netre = eyes; karau = arms; paadau = feet; gulphau = ankles; uuru = thighs; samau = are homogenous; chitau = and wll-proportioned; aNgulayaH = the fingers; anuvR^ittanakhaaH = have well-rounded nails; snigdhaaH = which are glossy; samaashcha = and having a right length.
"My temples, eyes, arms, feet, ankles and thights are homogenous and well-proportioned. My fingers have well-rounded and glossy nails, having a right lenght."
stanau ca aviralau pīnau mama imau magna cūcukau |
magnā ca utsanginī nābhih pārśva uraskam ca me citam || 6-48-11
11. maamakau = my; stanau = breasts; aviralau = are close to each other; piinau = fully developed; magna chuuchukau = and have depressed nipples; naabhiH = my navel; magnaa = is deeply; utsedhinii = indented; me = my; paarshvoraskamcha = flanks and bossom; chitam = are well-formed.
"My breasts are close to each other, fully developed and have depressed nipples. My navel is deeply idented. My flanks and bossom are well-formed."
mama varṇo maṇi nibho mṛdūny anga ruhāṇi ca |
pratiṣṭhitām dvadaśabhir mām ūcuh śubha lakṣaṇām || 6-48-12
12. mama = my; varNaH = complexion; maNinibhaH = has the sheen of a pearl; aNga ruhaaNicha = the hair on my skin; mR^iduuni = are soft; uuchuH = It is said; maam = of me; as endowed with auspicious signs; pratiSThitaam = in that I touched the ground; dvaadashabhiH = with my twelve limbs ( vix. the ten toes and two soles).
"My complexion has the sheen of a pearl. The hair on my skin are soft. It is said of me as endowed with auspicious signs, in that I touched the ground with my twelve limbs (viz. the ten toes and two soles).
samagra yavam accidram pāṇi pādam ca varṇavat |
manda smitā ity eva ca mām kanyā lakṣaṇikā viduḥ || 6-48-13
13. kanyaalakSaNikaaH = those who interpret the marks of youthful maidens; viduH = spoke; maam = of me; iti = that; paaNipaadamcha = my hands and feet; varNavat = are rosy; samagrayavam = fully provided with marks resembling a barley-corn; achchhidram = devoid of space between the fingers and toes; mandasnitaa = and my smile is gentle.
"Those who interpret the marks of youthful maidens spoke of me that my hands and feet are rosy, fully provided with marks each resembling a barley corn, devoid of space between my fingers and toes and that my smile is gentle."
adhirājye abhiṣeko me brāhmaṇaih patinā saha |
kṛta anta kuśalair uktam tat sarvam vitathī kṛtam || 6-48-14
14. tat sarvam = all that; uktam = was told; braahmaNaiH = by brahmins; kR^itaanta kushalaiH = who were skilled in sooth-saying; me = of me; aadhi raajyaabhiSekaH = that I should be conscrated on the imperial throne; patinaa saha = along with my husband; vitathiikR^itam = proved to be in vain.
"All that was told by brahmins well-versed in sooth-saying, of me that- I should be consecrated on the imperial throne along with my husband -proved to be in vain."
śodhayitvā jana sthānam pravṛttim upalabhya ca |
tīrtvā sāgaram akṣobhyam bhrātarau goṣpade hatau || 6-48-15
15. shodayitvaa = having searched; janasthaanam = all the resorts of men; upalabhyacha = received; pravR^ittim = the tidings of my fate; tiirtvaa = and crossed; akSobhyam = the impassable; saagaram = ocean; bhraataram = those two brothers; hatau = have perished; goSpade = in the imprint of a cows hoof (a small brothers)
"Having searched all the resorts of men, received the tidings of my fate, and crossed the impassable ocean, those two brothers have perishe din the imprint of a cow's hoof ( a small puddle)."
nanu vāruṇam āgneyam aindram vāyavyam eva ca |
astram brahma śiraś caiva rāghavau pratyapadyatām || 6-48-16
16. raaghavau = Rama and Lakshmana; pratya padyataam nanu = surely knew the use of; vaaruNam = the arrows of Varuna; aagneyam = Agni; aindram = Indra; vaayavyameva cha = and Vayu; brahmashiraH astram cha = as also the Brahmashira weapon.
"Rama and Lakshmana surely knew the use of the arrows of Varuna, Agni, Indra and Vayu, as also the Brahmashira weapon."
adṛśyamānena raṇe māyayā vāsava upamau |
mama nāthāv anāthāyā nihatau rāma lakṣmaṇau || 6-48-17
17. maayayaa = by means of magic arts; raama lakSmaNau = Rama and Lakshmana; mama = my; naathau = protectors; vaasavopamau = who are equal to Indra; nihatau = have been slain; adR^ishya maanena = by an invisible foe; raNe = in battle; anaathaayaaH = and I am now bereft of any support.
"By means of magic arts, an invisible foe has slain Rama and Lakshmana, my protectors, who are equal to Indra in battle and I am now bereft of any support."
na hi dṛṣṭi patham prāpya rāghavasya raṇe ripuḥ |
jīvan pratinivarteta yady api syān mano javaḥ || 6-48-18
18. praapya = having reached; dR^iSTipatham = the range of sight; raaghavasya = of Rama; raNe = in a combat; na ripuH = no enemy; pratinivartate hi = could return; jiivam = alive; syaadyadyapi = even though; manojavaH = (he were endowed with) the swiftness of thought.
"Having reached the range of sight of Rama in a combat, no enemy could return alive, eventhough he were endowed with the swiftness of thought."
na kālasya atibhāro asti kṛta antaś ca sudurjayaḥ |
yatra rāmah saha bhrātrā śete yudhi nipāthitaḥ || 6-48-19
19. naasti = there is no; atibhaaraH = great burden; kaalasya = for death; yatra = as; raamaH = Rama; bhraatraa saha = along wtih his brother; shete = are lying; nipaatitaH = struck down; yudhi = on the battle-field; kR^itaantashcha = fate; sudurjayaH = is inexorable.
There is no burden too heavy for death to shoulder, as Rama along with his brother are lying struck down on the battle-field. Fate is inexorable."
na aham śocāmi bhartāram nihatam na ca lakṣmaṇam |
na ātmānam jananī ca api yathā śvaśrūm tapasvinīm || 6-48-20
20. na shochaami = I do not repent; raama = for Rama; lakSmaNam cha = or Lakshmana; mahaaratham = the great chariot-wariior; na = nor; aatmaanam = for myself; na = nr; jananiim chaapi = my mother even; yathaa tathaa = by so much; shashruum = as my mother-iin-law; tapasviniim = the unfortunate one.
"I do not repent so much for Rama and Lakshmana or for myself or even my mother but for my unfortunate mother-in-law, Kausalya."
sā hi cintayate nityam samāpta vratam āgatam |
kadā drakṣyāmi sītām ca rāmam ca saha lakṣmaṇam || 6-48-21
21. saa tu = Kausalya for her part; nityam = forever; chintayate = remains absorbed in the thought; kadaa = when; drakSyaami = shall I see; lakSmaNamcha = Lakshmana; siitaamcha = and Seetha; saraaghavam = with Rama; aagatam = returned (to Ayodhya); samapta vratam = having completed his vow ( of remaining in exile in the forest for fourteen years)?
"Kausalya for her part, forever remains absorbed in the thought 'When shall I see Lakshmana and Seetha with Rama returned (to Ayodhya) having completed his vow (of remaining in exile in the forest for fourteen years)?"
paridevayamānām tām rākṣasī trijaṭā abravīt |
mā viṣādam kṛthā devi bhartā ayam tava jīvati || 6-48-22
22. trijaTaa = Trijata; raakSasii = the demoness; abraviit = spoke; taam = to that Seetha; paridevayamaanaam = who was thus lamenting (as follows); devi = O; god-like lady!; maa kR^ithaaH = do not; viSaadam = despair; tava = your; bhartaa = husband; ayam = this Rama; jiivati = is living.
The demoness Trijata spoke to that lamenting Seetha as follows : "O, the god-like lady! Do not despair. Your husband, Rama is still living."
kāraṇāni ca vakṣyāmi mahānti sadṛśāni ca |
yathā imau jīvato devi bhrātarau rāma lakṣmaṇau || 6-48-23
23. devii = O godlike lady!; vakSyaami = I will tell; mahaanti = mighty; sadR^ishaani = and cogent; kaaraNaanicha = reasons; yathaa = how; imau = these; bhraatarau = two brothers; raama lakSmaNau = Rama and Lakshmana; jiivataH = are living.
"O, godlike lady! I will tell you mighty and cogent reasons, how these two brothers Rama and Lakshmana are living."
na hi kopa parītāni harṣa paryutsukāni ca |
bhavanti yudhi yodhānām mukhāni nihate patau || 6-48-24
24. patau = The leader; nihate = having been lost; mukhaani = the faces; yodhaanaam = of the soldiers; yudhi = on the field of battle; na bhavanti hi = are never seized; kopapariitaani = by anger; harSapryutsukaani = (nor are they) animated with joy.
"The leader having been lost, the faces of the soldiers on the field of battle are never seized by anger nor are they animated with joy."
idam vimānam vaidehi puṣpakam nāma nāmataḥ |
divyam tvām dhārayen na idam yady etau gaja jīvitau || 6-48-25
25. vaidehi = O; Seetha!; idam vimaanam = this aerial car; divyam = celestial as it is; puSpakam naama called Pushpaka; naamataH = by name; na dhaarayat = would not have brought; tvaam = you; (here); yadi etau = if those two heroes; gata jiivitau = have lost their lives.
"O, Seetha! This aerial car called Pushpaka by name, celestial as it is, would not have brought you here, if those two heroes have lost their lives."
hata vīra pradhānā hi hata utsāhā nirudyamā |
senā bhramati samkhyeṣu hata karṇā iva naur jale || 6-48-26
26. senaa = an army; hata viira pradhaanaa = that sees its valiant commander fall; gatotsaahaa = is bereft of courage; bhramati = and wanders; nirudyamaa = aimlessly about; samkhyeSu = on the battle field; nauH iva = like a ship; hata karNaa = which has broken its rudder; jale = in water.
"An army that sees its valiant commander falll, is bereft of courage and wanders aimlessly about on the battle field, like a ship which has broken its rudder in water."
iyam punar asambhrāntā nirudvignā tarasvinī |
senā rakṣati kākutsthau māyayā nirjitau raṇe || 6-48-27
27. iyam = this; senaa punaH = army for its part; asambhraantaa = is neither confused; nirudvignaa = nr perturbed; rakSati = and is guarding; kaakutsthsau = the two scious of kakutstha; Rama and Lakshmana; niveditau = this is being pointed out; mayaa = by me; priityaa = on account of my affection for you; tapasvini = O lady given to austerities!.
"This army for its part is neither confused nor perturbed and is guarding Rama and Lakshman. I am pointing this out to you on account of my affection for you, O lady given to austerities!"
sā tvam bhava suvisrabdhā;anumānaih sukha udayaiḥ |
ahatau paśya kākutsthau snehād etad bravīmi te || 6-48-28
28. bhava = be; savisrabdhaa = reassured; sukhodayaiH = by these auspicious; anumaanaiH = omens; pashya = behold; kaakutsthau = Rama and Lakshmana the scions of kakutstha; ahatau = who are not dead; braviimi = I am telling; te = you; etad = this; snehaat = on account of my affection for you.
"You as such, be reassured by these auspicious omens. Behold Rama and Lakshman who are not dead. I am telling you this, on account of my affection for you."
anṛtam na ukta pūrvam me na ca vakṣye kadācana |
cāritra sukha śīlatvāt praviṣṭā asi mano mama || 6-48-29
29. maithili = O; Seetha!; anR^itam = falsehood; na ukta puurvam = has not been uttered before; me = by me; nacha rakSyami = nor do I utter too now; praviSTaa asi = you have entered; mam = my; mamaH = mind; chaaritrasukha shiilatvaat = by your conduct and natural gaiety.
"O, Seetha! I have not spoken falsehood before, nor shall I ever do so. By your conduct and natural gaiety, you have found a place in my heart!"
na imau śakyau raṇe jetum sa indrair api sura asuraiḥ |
etayor ānanam dṛṣṭvā mayā ca āveditam tava || 6-48-30
30. suraasurairapi = even celestials and demons; sendraiH = along with Indra; na shakyau = are unable; jetum = to defeat; imau = these two heroes; raNe = in battle; dR^iSTvaa = having observed; taadR^ishan = such; darshanam = a sight; aaveditam = it was communicated; tava = to you; mayaa = by me.
"Even celestials and demons along with Indra cannot vanquish there two heroes in battle. This is what I have observed and communicated to you."
idam ca sumahac cihnam śanaih paśyasva maithili |
nihsamjnāv apy ubhāv etau na eva lakṣmīr viyujyate || 6-48-31
31. maithili = O Seetha!; pashyasva = see; idam = this; sumahat = a very great; chitram = marvel!; (see how); patitau = fallen; sharaiH = (under those) shafts; visamjN^au = and deprived of their senss; lakSmiiH = their beauty; naiva muNehati = has not desrted; etau = them.
"O Seetha!; See this, a great marvel !; See how, fallen under those shafts and deprived of their senses, thier beauty has not deserted them."
prāyeṇa gata sattvānām puruṣāṇām gata āyuṣām |
dṛśyamāneṣu vaktreṣu param bhavati vaikṛtam || 6-48-32
32. praayeNa = generally; vaktreSu = the faces; puruSaaNaam = of men; gata sattvaanaam = who lost their lives; gataayuSaam = and whose vital power has vanished; bhavati = with be; dR^ishyamaaieeSu = appearing; param = with an appalling; vaikR^itam = alteration.
"Generally, the faces of those who lost their lives and whose vital power has vanished, will be appearing with an appalling alteration".
tyaja śokam ca duhkham ca moham ca janaka ātmaje |
rāma lakṣmaṇayor arthe na adya śakyam ajīvitum || 6-48-33
33. janakaatmaje = O; Seetha!; tyaja = Banish; shokam = your grief; duHkham cha = pain; mohamcha = and ignorance; raamalakSmaNayoH arthe = on account of Rama and Lakshman; na shakyam = It is impossible; adya = now 9with the splendour in their faces); (they) ajiivitum = do not live.
"O, Seetha! Banish your grief, pain and ignorance on account of Rama and Lakshmana. It is impossible, now with the splendour seen in their faces, for Rama and Lakshmana to die."
śrutvā tu vacanam tasyāh sītā sura sutā upamā |
kṛta anjalir uvāca idam evam astv iti maithilī || 6-48-34
34. shrutvaa = hearing; tasyaaH = her; vachanam = words; siita = Seetha; surasutopamaa = who resembled a daughter of gods; maithilii = but the daughter of Mithila kingdom; kR^itaaNjaliH = with joined palms; uvaacha = exclaimed; iti emaam = in this way; evam astu = may it be so."
Hearing her words, Seetha, the daughter of Mithila kingdom resembling a daughter of gods, with joined palms exclaimed, "May it be so."
vimānam puṣpakam tat tu samivartya mano javam |
dīnā trijaṭayā sītā lankām eva praveśitā || 6-48-35
35. samnivartya = after duly sending back; tat = that; puSpakam vimaanam = aerial car; Pushpaka; manojavam = sorrowfu; siitaa = Seetha; pravashitaa = was caused to enter; laN^kaameva = Lanka once more; tirjaTayaa = by Trijata.
After sending back that aerial car, Pushpaka which was as swift as the thought, the sorrowful Seetha was caused by Trijata to enter Lanka once more.
tatas trijaṭayā sārdham puṣpakād avaruhya sā |
aśoka vanikām eva rakṣasībhih praveśitā || 6-48-36
36. tataH = thereafter; saa = Seetha; trijaTayaa saardham = along with Trijata; avaruhya = who descended; puSpakaat = from Pushpaka the aerial car; praveshitaaa = were caused to enter; ashokavanikaameva = Ashoka grove again; raakSasiibhiH = by the female demons.
Thereafter, Seetha along with Trijata who descended from Pshpaka the aerial car, were caused by the female demons, to enter the Ashoka grove again.
praviśya sītā bahu vṛkṣa ṣaṇḍām |
tām rākṣasa indrasya vihāra bhūmim |samprekṣya saṃcintya ca rāja putrau |
param viṣādam samupājagāma || 6-48-37
37. pravishya = entering; taam = that Ashoka grove; bahuvR^ikSaNDaam = planted with a multitude of trees; vihaara bhuumim = the sporting ground; raakSasendrasya = of Ravana; samchintya cha = recalling; raajaputrau = the two princes; samprakSya = who she had just seen; siitaa = Seetha; upaaja = gave way; param viSaadam = to extreme grief.
Entering that Ashoka grove, planted with a multitude of trees, sporting ground of Ravana and recalling the two princes who she had just seen, Seetha gave way to extreme grief.
- - - -
ityārṣe śrīmadrāmāyane ādikāvye yuddhakāṇḍe aṣṭacatvāriṃśaḥ sargaḥ
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© August 2005, K. M. K. Murthy