Ravana summons some female demons including Trijata and instructs them to take Seetha in Pushpaka-plane to the battle-front and show Rama and Lakshmana alleged to have been killed by Indrajit. Accordingly, the female-demons take Seetha in Pushpaka-plane and show her Rama and Lakshmana lying unconscious on a bed of arrows in the battle-field. Imagining Rama and Lakshmana to have been dead, Seetha bursts into sobs.
तस्मिन् प्रतिप्रविष्टे लन्काम् तु कृत अर्थे रावण आत्मजे |
राघवम् परिवार्य आर्ता ररक्षुर् वानर ऋषभाः || ६-४७-१
1. tasmin = (while) that; raavaNaatmaja = Indrajit; the son of Ravana; kR^itaarthe = accomplished his purpose; praviSTe = and entered; laN^kaayaam = Lanka; vaanaraSabhaaH = the leading mokeys; atha = then; parivaarya = having surrounded; raaghavam = Rama; rarakSuH = and protected him.
Indrajit, the son of Ravana having returned to Lanka, his purpose accomplished, the leading monkeys surrounded Rama in order to watch over him.
हनूमान् अन्गदो नीलह् सुषेणह् कुमुदो नलः |
गजो गव अक्षो गवयह् शरभो गन्ध मादनः || ६-४७-२
जाम्बवान् ऋषभह् सुन्दो रम्भह् शत बलिह् पृथुः |
व्यूढ अनीकाश् च यत्ताश् च द्रुमान् आदाय सर्वतः || ६-४७-३
वीक्षमाणा दिशह् सर्वास् तिर्यग् ऊर्ध्वम् च वानराः |
तृणेष्व् अपि च चेष्टत्सु राक्षसा;इति मेनिरे || ६-४७-४
2; 3; 4. hanuman = Hanuman; aN^gadaH = Angada; NiilaH = Nila; suSeNaH = Sushena; kumudaH = Kumuda; nalaH = Nala; gajaH = Gaja; gavaakSaH = Gavaksha; panasaH = Panasa; mahaa hariH = the mighty monkey; saanaprasthaH = Sanuprastha; jaambavaan = Jambavan; R^iSabhaH = Rishabha; sunaH = Sunda; rambhaH = Rmaba; shatabaliH = Shatabali; pR^ithuH = Prithu; vaanaraaH = (these) monkeys; aadaaya = armed with; drumaan = trees; vyuuDhaaniikaaH = reorganized their ranks; sarvataH = on all sides;yathaashcha = alert; viikSamaaNaaH = surveyed; dishaH = the quarters of the sky; uurdhvam cha = upwards; tiryak = and horizontally; sarvataH = and on every side; tR^iNeSvapi = and even if a grass; cheSTatsu = stirred; menire = (they) exclaimed; raakSasaaH iti = "It is a demon!"
Hanuman, Angada, Nila, Sushena, Kumuda, Nala, Gaja, Gavaksha, Panasa, Sanuprastha and the mighty Jambavan with Sunda, Rambha, Shatabali and Prithu all these monkeys, armed with trees, reorganized their ranks, stood alert, surveyed the quarters of the sky up and down and on every side and, even if a grass stirred, they exclaimed, "It is a demon!"
रावणश् च अपि सम्हृष्टो विसृज्य इन्द्रजितम् सुतम् |
आजुहाव ततह् सीता रक्षणी राक्षसीस् तदा || ६-४७-५
5. raavaNashchaapi = Ravana too; samhR^iSTaH = full of joy; visR^ijya = dismissed; sutam = his son; indrajitam = Indrajit; tataH = and thereafter; aajuhaava = summoned; raakSasiiH = the female-demons; siitaa raakSaNiiH = who guarded Seetha; tadaa = then.
Ravana, meanwhile, full of joy, dismissed his son Indrajit and thereafter summoned the female demons who guarded Seetha.
राक्षस्यस् त्रिजटा च अपि शासनात् तम् उपस्थिताः |
ता उवाच ततो हृष्टो राक्षसी राक्षस ईश्वरः || ६-४७-६
6. shaasanaat = as per his orders; raakSasyaH = the female-demons; trijaTaa chaapi = along with Trijata; upasthitaaH = appeared; tam = before him; tataH = then; hR^iSTaH = the rejoiced; raakSasaadhipaH = Ravana; uvaacha = spoke; taaH raakSasaadhipaH = Ravana; uvaacha = spoke; taaH raakSasiiH = to those female-demons (as follows)
Following his orders, the female-demons along with Trijata appeared before him. Then, the rejoiced Ravana said to them as follows:
हताव् इन्द्रजिता आख्यात वैदेह्या राम लक्ष्मणौ |
पुष्पकम् च समारोप्य दर्शयध्वम् हतौ रणे || ६-४७-७
7. aakhyaata = tell; vaidehyaaH = Seetha; raama lakSmaNau = that Rama and Lakshmana; hatau = have been killed; indrajitaa = by Indrajit; samaaropya = having made to ascend; tat = that; puSpakam = aeroplane; Pushpaka; darshayadhvam = show; hatau = Rama and Lakshmana; killed; raNe = in battle.
"Tell Seetha that Rama and Lakshmana have been killed by Indrajit. Take her in Pushpaka the aeroplane and show her Rama and Lakshman who were killed in battle."
यद् आश्रयाद् अवष्टब्धो न इयम् माम् उपतिष्ठति |
सो अस्या भर्ता सह भ्रात्रा निरस्तो रण मूर्धनि || ६-४७-८
8. yadaashrayaat = on whose shelter; iyam = she; avaSTabdhaa = feels proud; na upatiSThate = and does not come near; maam = me; saH = that; asyaaH bhartaaH = her husband; nihataH = was killed; bhraatraa saha = along with his brother; raNamuurdhani = in the battle-front.
"Her husband, the one depending on whom rendered her so proud that she refused to be united with me, lies there killed with his brother in the battle-front."
निर्विशन्का निरुद्विग्ना निरपेक्षा च मैथिली |
माम् उपस्थास्यते सीता सर्व आभरण भूषिता || ६-४७-९
9. siitaa = Seetha; maithilii = the princess of Mithila; sarvaabharaNa bhuuSitaa = adorned herself with all kinds of ornaments; upasthaasyate = willl submit before; maam = me; nirvishankaa = without any apprehension; nirudvignaa = without grief; nirapekSaa = and without any hope of reunion.
"From now on, free from anxiety, grief and expectation of reunion, Seetha the princess of Mithila kingdom, adorned in all her jewels, will submit herself to me."
अद्य काल वशम् प्राप्तम् रणे रामम् सलक्ष्मणम् |
अवेक्ष्य विनिवृत्त आशा न अन्याम् गतिम् अपश्यती || ६-४७-१०
अनपेक्षा विशालाक्षी मामुपस्थस्यते स्वयम् |
10. avekSya = beholding; raamam = Rama; salakSmaNam = with Lakshmana; gatam = having obtained; kaalavasham = the dominion of death; adya = today; saa = she; vishaalaakSii = the large-eyed woman; vinivR^ittaa = will return; upasthaasyate = and submit before; maam = me; svayam = herself; apashyatii = without finding; anyaam = any other; gatim = haven; anapekSaa = and hoping for nothing else .
"Beholding Rama and Lakshmana fallen under the sway of death on the battle-field today, finding no other haven and hoping for nothing else, the large-eyed Seetha will voluntarily seek refuge with me!"
तस्य तद् वचनम् श्रुत्वा रावणस्य दुरात्मनः || ६-४७-११
राक्षस्यस् तास् तथा इत्य् उक्त्वा प्रजग्मुर् यत्र पुष्पकम् |
11. shrutvaa = hearing; tat vachanam = that command; tasya raavaNasya = of that Ravana; duraatmanaH = the curel demon; taaH raakSasya = those female-demons; uktvaa = having replied; tathaa iti = "so it be"; jagmuH vai = and went; yatra = there; where; puSpakam = Pushpaka-plane was there.
Hearing these words of the cruel Ravana, they all replied, "Be it so" and went to where the Pushpaka chariot was.
ततः पुष्पकम् आदय राक्षस्यो रावण आज्नया || ६-४७-१२
अशोक वनिकास्थाम् ताम् मैथिलीम् समुपानयन् |
12. tataH = thereafter; raakSasyaH = the female-demons; aadaaya = brought; puSpakam = the aerial car; Pushpaka; raamaNaajJNayaa = as per the instructions of Ravana; samupaanayan = and carried it near; taam = tat; maithiliim = Seetha; ashokavanikaa; samsthaam = who was staying in Ashoka grove.
Thereafter, the female-demons brought the aerial car, Pushpaka as per the instructions of Ravana and carried it nearer to Seetha who was staying in Ashoka-grove.
ताम् आदाय तु राक्षस्यो भर्तृ शोक परायणाम् || ६-४७-१३
सीताम् आरोपयाम् आसुर् विमानम् पुष्पकम् तदा |
13. tadaa = then; raakSasyaH = the female demons; aadaaya = brought; taam siitaam = that Seetha; bhartR^ishoka paraajitaam = who was afflicted with grief for her husband; aaropayaamaasuH = and made to ascend; puSpakam vimaanam = Pushpaka -plane.
The female-demons brought Seetha who was afflicted with grief for her husband and made her to ascend Pushpaka-plane.
ततः पुष्पकम् आरोप्य सीताम् त्रिजटया सह || ६-४७-१४
जग्मुर्दर्शयितुं तस्यै राक्षस्यो रामलक्ष्मणौ |
14. tataH = then; raakSasyaH = the female-demons; trijaTayaasaha = along with Trijata; aaropya siitaam = made Seetha to ascend; puSpakam = Pushpaka-plane; jagmuH = and proceeded; darshayitum = to show; tasyai = her; raama lakSmaNau = Rama and Lakshmana.
The female-demons along with Trijata made Seetha to ascend Pushpaka-plane and proceeded to show her Rama and Lakshmana.
रावणो अकारयल् लन्काम् पताका ध्वज मालिनीम् || ६-४७-१५
प्राघोषयत हृष्टश् च लन्कायाम् राक्षस ईश्वरः |
राघवो लक्ष्मणश् चैव हताव् इन्द्रजिता रणे || ६-४७-१६
15; 16. raavaNaH = Ravana; raakSaseshvaraH = the king of demons; hR^iSTaH = thrilled with rapture; kaarayaamaasa = made; laN^kaam = Lanka; pataaka dhvaja maaliniim = garlanded with flags and banners; praaghoSayata = and caused a proclamation; (to be made in Lanka); announcing that; raaghavaH = Rama; lakSmaNashcha = and Lakshmana; hatau = had been slain; raNe = in battle; indrajitaa = by Indrajit.
Ravana the king of demons, thrilled with rapture, caused Lanka to be garlanded with flags and banners and arranged a proclamation to be made in Lanka announcing that Rama and Lakshmana had been slain by Indrajit in battle.
विमानेन अपि सीता तु गत्वा त्रिजटया सह |
ददर्श वानराणाम् तु सर्वम् सिन्यम् निपातितम् || ६-४७-१७
17. siitaa = Seetha; trijaTayaa saha = along with Trijata; gatvaa = went; vimaanena = by that plane; dadarsha = and saw; sarvam = all; vaanaraaNaam sainyam = the monkey-troops; nipaatitam = who had been slain.
Seetha along with Trijata, transported by that plane, saw all the monkey-troops who had been slain.
प्रहृष्ट मनसश् च अपि ददर्श पिशित अशनान् |
वानरांश् च अपि दुह्ख आर्तान् राम लक्ष्मण पार्श्वतः || ६-४७-१८
18. dadarsha = (Seetha) saw; pishitaashanaan = the demons; prahR^iSTamanasaH = who were delighted at heart; vaanaraamshcha = and monkeys; atiduHkhaartaan = who were disturbed with immense grief; raamalakSmaNa paarshvataH = by the side of Rama and Lakshmana.
Seetha saw the demons who were delighted at heart and monkeys disturbed with grief, standing round Rama and Lakshmana.
ततः सीता ददर्श उभौ शयानौ शत तल्पयोः |
लक्ष्मणम् चैव रामम् च विसम्ज्नौ शर पीडितौ || ६-४७-१९
विध्वस्त कवचौ वीरौ विप्रविद्ध शर आसनौ |
सायकैश् चिन्न सर्व अन्गौ शर स्तम्भमयौ क्षितौ || ६-४७-२०
19; 20 tataH = then; siitaa = Seetha; dadarsha = beheld; ubhau viirau = those two warriors; raamam cha = Rama; lakSmaNamchaiva = and Lakshmana; shayanau = lying; shara piiDitau = pierced with arrows; visamjJNau = unconscious; shara piiDitau = riddled with weapons; vidhvasta kavachau = their armour shattered; vipraviddha sharaasanau = their bows thrown at a distance; chhinna sarvaaN^gau = their entire body transfixed; saayakaiH = by darts; sharastambamayau = on a bed of arrows; kSitau = on the ground.
Then, Seetha beheld those two warriors Rama and Lakshmana lying unconscious on the ground on a bed of arrows, their limbs pierced with arrows, riddled with weapons, their armour shattered, their bows cast aside at a distance and their entire body transfixed by darts.
तौ दृष्ट्वा भ्रातरौ तत्र प्रवीरौ पुरुष ऋषभौ |
शयानौ पुण्डरीकाक्षौ कुमाराविव पावकी || ६-४७-२१
शरतल्पगतौ वीरौ तथाभूतौ नरर्षभौ |
दुह्ख आर्ता सुभृशम् सीता करुणम् विललाप ह || ६-४७-२२
21; 22. dR^iSTvaa = on seeing; tau bhraatarau = those two brothers; praviirau = who were filled with valour; puNDariikaakSau = having lotus-eyes; puruSarSabhau = the excellent of men; shayanau sharatalpagatau = lying stretched on a bed of arrows; tatra = there; tathaa bhuutau = in that wretched plight; kumaaraaviva = like the two sons; paavakii = of the fire-god (shakha and Vishakha) (lying on a bed of reeds); siitaa = Seetha; vilalaapaha = wailed; karuNam = piteously; subhR^isham duHkhartaa = stricken with a great agony.
On seeing those two brothers, who were filled with valour, having lotus-eyes, the excellent of men, lying streteched on a bed of arrows there in that wretched plight like the two sons of the fire-god (Shkha and Vishakha) lying on a bed of reeds, Seetha wailed piteously, stricken as she was with a great agony.
भर्तारमनवद्याङ्गी लक्ष्मणम् चासितेक्षणा |
प्रेक्ष्य पांसुषु चेष्टन्तौ रुरोद जनकात्मजा || ६-४७-२३
23. asitekSaNaa = the dark-eyed; janakaatmajaa = Seetha the daughter of Janaka; anavadyaaNgii = with faultless limbs; prekSya = beholding; bharataaram = her lord; lakSmaNam cha = and Lakshmana; cheSTantau = lying paamsuSu = in the dust; ruroda = burst into sobs.
The dark-eyed Seetha the daughter of Janaka with her faultless limbs, beholding her lord and Lakshmana lying in the dust, burst into sobs.
सा बाष्प शोक अभिहता समीक्ष्य |
तौ भ्रातरौ देव सम प्रभावौ |
वितर्कयन्ती निधनम् तयोह् सा |
दुह्ख अन्विता वाक्यम् इदम् जगाद || ६-४७-२४
24. samiikSya = witnessing; tau bhraatarau = those brothers; devasuta prabhaavau = the prominent sons of god; saa = that Seetha; sabaaSpa shokaabhihataa = struck by grief with tears; vitarkayantii = believing; tayoH = their; nidhanam = death; jagaada = spoke; idam = these; vaakyam = words; duHkhaanvitaa = possessed with grief.
Witnessing those brothers, the prominent sons of god, Seetha afflicted with tearful sorrow, believing their death, spoke with grief the following words.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे सप्तचत्वारिंशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© August 2005, K. M. K. Murthy