Rama orders ten of the monkey-generals to search for the whereabouts of Indrajit. But Indrajit arrested the approach of those monkeys, by means of his arrows. Both Rama and Lakshmana were transfixed by Indrajit with a net work of serpentine arrows into the vital parts of Rama and Lakshmana and they fall down on the battle-ground in a bath of blood. Seeing those two scions of Raghu in that state, the monkeys give way to utter despondence.
स तस्य गतिम् अन्विच्चन् राज पुत्रह् प्रतापवान् |
दिदेश अतिबलो रामो दश वानर यूथपान् || ६-४५-१
1. saH raamaH = that Rama; raja putraH = the son of Dasaratha; prataapavaan = the powerful man; ati balaH = and a very strong man; didesha = directed; dasha = ten; vaanarayuthapaan = monkey-generals; anvichchhan = to search; tasya = his; gatim = course of movement.
That very strong and powerful Rama the son of Dasaratha ordered ten monkey-generals to search for the whereabouts of Indrajit.
द्वौ सुषेणस्य दायादौ नीलम् च प्लवग ऋषभम् |
अन्गदम् वालि पुत्रम् च शरभम् च तरस्विनम् || ६-४५-२
द्विनतम् जाम्बवन्तम् च सानुप्रस्थम् महा बलम् |
ऋषभम् च ऋषभ स्कन्धम् आदिदेश परम् तपः || ६-४५-३
2; 3. paramtapaH = Rama; who torments his enemies; aadidesha = ordered; dvau = both; daayaadau = the sons; suSeNasya = of Sushena; niilamcha = Nila; plavagaadhipam = the chief of monkeys; aNgadam = Andaga; vaaliputram = the son of Vali; tarasvinam = the strong; sharabhamcha = Sharabha; dvividam cha = Divivda; hanuumantam = Hanuman; mahaabalam = the very strong; saanuprastham = Samprastha; R^iSabham cha = Rishabha; R^iSabha skandham = and Rishabhaskandha.
Rama the scourger of his enemies ordered both the sons of Sushena, Nila the chief of monkeys, Angada the son of Vali, the stron Sharabha, Dvivida, Hanuman, the very strong Sanuprastha, Rishabha and Rishabha skandha.
ते सम्प्रहृष्टा हरयो भीमान् उद्यम्य पादपान् |
आकाशम् विविशुह् सर्वे मार्गामाणा दिशो दश || ६-४५-४
4. te sarve harayaH = all those monkeys; samprahR^iSTaaH = thrilled with enthusiasm; udyamya = lifted; bhiimaan = terrific; paadapaan = trees; maargamaaNaaH = searching; dasha = in ten; dishaH = directions; vivishuH = entered; aakaasham = the air.
All those monkeys, thrilled with enthusiasm, flung into the air brandishing huge trunks of trees in order to explore the ten regions.
तेषाम् वेगवताम् वेगम् इषुभिर् वेगवत्तरैः |
अस्त्रवित् परम अस्त्रेण वारयाम् आस रावणिः || ६-४५-५
5. raavaNiH = Indrajit; the son of Ravana; astravit = who was skilled in the use of magic weapons; iSubhiH = by means of his arrows; vegavattaraiH = with great speed (released) parama astraiH = from the most excellent of bows; vaarayaamaasa = arrested; teSaam = their; vegavataam = impetuous; vegam = outbreak.
Indrajit, the son of Ravana, who was skilled in the use of magic weapons, by means of his arrows with great speed, released from his most excellent of bows, arrested the impetuous outbreak of the monkeys.
तम् भीम वेगा हरयो नाराचैह् क्षत विक्षताः |
अन्ध कारे न ददृशुर् मेघैह् सूर्यम् इव आवृतम् || ६-४५-६
6. harayaH = the monkeys; bhiimavegaaH = of terrific bound naaraachaiH kSata vigrahaaH = whose bodies were cruelly pierced by those shafts; na dadR^ishaH = were unable to see; tam = Indrajit; andhakaare = in the darkness; suuryamiva = as the sun; (is obscured); aavR^itam = when veiled; meghaiH = in clouds.
Those monkeys of terrific bound, whose bodes were cruelly pierced by those shafts, were unable to see Indrajit in the darkness, as the sun is obscured when veiled in clouds.
राम लक्ष्मणयोर् एव सर्व मर्म भिदह् शरान् |
भृशम् आवेशयाम् आस रावणिह् समितिम् जयः || ६-४५-७
7. raavaNiH = Indrajit; the son of Ravana; samitimjayaH = victorious in battle; aaveshayaamaasa = caused to enter; sharaan = the arrows; sarva dehabhidaH = which split up the flesh; bhR^isham = in great measure; raama lakSmaNayoreva = into Rama and Lakshmana exactly.
Indrajit, the victorious in battle, transfixed Rama and Lakshmana with those arrows that lacerated their flesh in great measure.
निरन्तर शरीरौ तु भ्रातरौ राम लक्ष्मणौ |
क्रुद्धेन इन्द्रजोता वीरौ पन्नगैह् शरताम् गतैः || ६-४५-८
8. indrajitaa = by Indrajit; kruddhena = the enraged demon; ubhau = both; tau = those; viirau = warriors; raama lakSmaNau = Rama and Lakshmana; nirantara shariirau = whose bodies were densely transfixed with arrows; pannagaiH = by serpants; gataiH = which obtained; sharataam = the form of arrows.
The bodies of both those warriors, Rama and Lakshmana were densely transfixed with serpentine arrows by the enraged Indrajit.
तयोह् क्षतज मार्गेण सुस्राव रुधिरम् बहु |
ताव् उभौ च प्रकाशेते पुष्पिताव् इव किंशुकौ || ६-४५-९
9. rudhiram = blood; susraava = flowed; bahu = profusely; tayoH = from their; kSata maargeNa = wound-marks; ubhau = both; tau = of them; prakaashitau = shone; kimshukau iva = like Kimshuka trees; puSpitau = in following.
Blood flowed from the wound-marks of both Rama and Lakshmana and both of them shone like Kimshuka trees in flowring.
ततः पर्यन्त रक्त अक्षो भिन्न अन्जन चय उपमः |
रावणिर् भ्रातरौ वाक्यम् अन्तर्धान गतो अब्रवीत् || ६-४५-१०
10. tataH = at that instant; paryanta raktaakSaH = his eyes inflamed; raavaNiH = Indrajit; Ravana's son; bhiinnaN^jana chayopamaH = which resembled a mass of collyrium mixed with oil; antardhaana gataH = though still invisible; abraviit = spoke; vaakeyam = the following words; bhraatarau = those two brothers.
At that instant, though still invisible, Indrajit, Ravana's son, with his inflamed eyes, which resembled a mass of collyrium mixed with oil, spoke the following words to those two brothers.
युध्यमानम् अनालक्ष्यम् शक्रो अपि त्रिदश ईश्वरः |
द्रष्टुम् आसादितुम् वा अपि न शक्तह् किम् पुनर् युवाम् || ६-४५-११
11. yudhyamaanam = when I enter into combat; anaalakSyam = making myself invisible; shakro.api = even Indra; tridasheshvaraH = the lord of celestials; na shaktaH = is not bale; draSTum = to see; aasaaditum vaapi = or approach (me); kim punaH = how much less; yuvaam = you two!.
"When I enter into combat, making myself invisible, even Indra the lord of celestials is not able to see or approach me. How much less, you two!"
प्रावृताव् इषु जालेन राघवौकन्क पत्रिणा |
एष रोष परीत आत्मा नयामि यम सादनम् || ६-४५-१२
12. raaghavau = O; Descendents of Raghu!; praavR^itau = having imprisoned you; aviSujaalena = in this net work of arrows; kaN^kapatriNaa = furnished with heron's feathers; eSaH = this I; roSa pariitaatmaa = yielding myself up to the violence of my wrath; nayaami = am about to dispatch you; yamasaadanam = to the region of Yama the Lord of Death.
"O, Descendents of Raghu! Having imprisoned you in this net work of arrows furnished with heron's feathers, I, yielding myself up to the violence of my wrath, am about to dispatch you to the region of Yama the Lord of Death."
एवम् उक्त्वा तु धर्मज्नौ भ्रातरौ राम लक्ष्मणौ |
निर्बिभेद शितैर् बाणैह् प्रजहर्ष ननाद च || ६-४५-१३
13. uktvaa = speaking; evam = thus; bhraatarau = to the brothers; raama lakSmaNau = Rama and Lakshmana; dharmajJNau = who wee aware of righteousness; (Indrajit); nirbibheda = pierced (them); shitaiH = with pointed; baaNaiH = arrows; nanaadacha = and shouted too; prajaharSa = exultantly.
Speaking thus to the brothers Rama and Lakshmana, who were aware of righteousness, Indrajit pierced them with pointed arrows and shouted too exultantly.
भिन्न अन्जन चय श्यामो विस्फार्य विपुलम् धनुः |
भूयो भूयह् शरान् घोरान् विससर्ज महा मृधे || ६-४५-१४
14. bhinnaaN^jana chaya shyaamaH = Indrajit; who was as black as a heap of shattered collyrium; visphaarya = stretching; vipulam = his immense dhanuH = now; visasarja = discharged; ghoraan = formidable; sharaan = arrows; bhuuya eva = even once more; mahaa mR^idhe = in that great fight.
Indrajit, who was as black as a heap of shattered collyrium, stretching his immense bow, discharged formidable arrows even once more, in that great fight.
ततो मर्मसु मर्मज्नो मज्जयन् निशितान् शरान् |
राम लक्ष्मणयोर् वीरो ननाद च मुहुर् मुहुः || ६-४५-१५
15. viiraH = that warrior; Indrajit; marma jJNaH = who was aware of the vital parts; muhurmuhuH = set up a continual; nanaada cha = shouting; majjayan = digging; nishitaan = sharp; sharaan = arrows; raamalakSmaNayoH = marmasu = into the vital parts of Rama and Lakshmana.
That warrior, Indrajit, who was aware of their vital parts, set up a continual shouting, digging sharp arrows into the vital parts of Rama and Lakshmana.
बद्धौ तु शर बन्धेन ताव् उभौ रण मूर्धनि |
निमेष अन्तर मात्रेण न शेकतुर् उदीक्षितुम् || ६-४५-१६
16. tau ubhau = those two princes; raNamuurdhaani = in the forefront of battle; baddhau tu shara bandhena = bounded by the net of arrows; nimeSaantara maatreNa = in the twinkling of an eye; na shekatuH = became incapable; avekSitum = of even looking up.
Those two princes, in the forefront of battle, bounded by that net work of arrows in the twinkling of an eye, became incapable of even looking up.
ततो विभिन्न सर्व अन्गौ शर शल्य आचिताव् उभौ |
ध्वजाव् इव महा इन्द्रस्य रज्जु मुक्तौ प्रकम्पितौ || ६-४५-१७
तौ सम्प्रचलितौ वीरौ मर्म भेदेन कर्शितौ |
निपेततुर् महा इष्वासौ जगत्याम् जगती पती || ६-४५-१८
17; 18. marma bhedena = pierced in their vital parts; karshitau = exhausted; kR^itau = made; sharashalya achitau = covered by heads of arrows; vibhinna sarvaaN^gau = all over the different limbs; tau = those two; maheSvaasau = wielding mighty arches; jagatii patii = who were the lords of the earth; nipetutuH = fell; jagatyaam = to the earth; samprachalitau = shaking violently; mahendrasya dhvajaamiva = like a pair of flag-staffs raised in honour of Indra the Lord of celestials; rajju muktau = and freed from their chords.
Pierced in their vital parts, exhausted, and covered all over with heads of arrows, those two mighty and courageous archers fell to the earth, they who were the lords of the earth, shaking violently like a pair of flag-staffs in honour of Indra the Lord celestials and freed from their raised of chords.
तौ वीर शयने वीरौ शयानौ रुधिर उक्षितौ |
शर वेष्टित सर्व अन्गाव् आर्तौ परम पीडितौ || ६-४५-१९
19. tau viirau = those warriors; shayanau = lying; viira shayane = on that heroes' bed; rudhirokSitau = bathed in blood; sharaveSTita sarvaaaN^gau = all their limbs bristling with arrows; parama piiDitau = and extremely injured; aartau = felt distress.
Those warriors, Rama and Lakshmana, lying on that heroes' bed (on the battle-ground), bathed in blood, all their limbs bristling with arrows and extremely injured, felt distressed.
न ह्य् अविद्धम् तयोर् गात्रम् बभूव अन्गुलम् अन्तरम् |
न अनिर्भिन्नम् न च अस्तब्धम् आ कर अग्राद् अजिह्मगैः || ६-४५-२०
20. na babhuuva = there was not; aN^gula maatram = a finger's breadth; antaram = of space; tayoH = on their; gaatre = bodies; aakaaraagraat = from the tips of their fingers to the end of their feet; anirbhinnam = that was not lacerated; na = nor; astabdham = not implanted; aviddham = and not pierced; ajihmagaiH = by those arrows.
There was not a finger's breadth on their bodies form the tips of their fingers to the end of their feet that was not lacerated, implanted and pierced by those arrows.
तौ तु क्रूरेण निहतौ रक्षसा काम रूपिणा |
असृक् सुस्रुवतुस् तीव्रम् जलम् प्रस्रवणाव् इव || ६-४५-२१
21. nihatau = struck down; kruureNa = by that ferocious; rakSasaa = demon; kaama ruupiNaa = able to change his shape at will; tiivram = the hot; asR^ik = blood; susruvatuH = gushed forth; tau = from both Rama and Lakshmana; jalam iva = as water; prasravaNau = from a spring.
Struck down by that ferocious demon, who was able to change his shape at will, the hot blood gushed forth from both Rama and Lashmana, as water from a spring.
पपात प्रथमम् रामो विद्धो मर्मसु मार्गणैः |
क्रोधाद् इन्द्रजिता येन पुरा शक्रो विनिर्जितः || ६-४५-२२
22. raamaH = Rama; papaata = fell; prathamam = first; marmasu = his vital parts; viddhaH = pierced; maargaNaiH = by arrows; krodhaat = of the wrathful; indrajitaa = Indrajit; yena = by whom; shakraH = Indra the Lord of celestials; puraa = had been formerly; vinirjitaH = vanquished.
Rama fell first, his vital parts pierced by arrows of the wrathful Indrajit, who had formerly vanquished Indra the Lord of celestials.
रुक्मपुङ्खेः प्रसन्नाग्रैरधोगतिभिराशुगैः |
नारचैर् अर्ध नाराचैर् भल्लैर् अन्जलिकैर् अपि || ६-४५-२३
विव्याध वत्स दन्तैश् च सिम्ह दम्ष्ट्रैह् क्षुरैस् तथा |
23. (Indrajit); vivyaadha = pierced; (Rama) (by arrows); rukma puN^khaiH = with golden shafts; prasanna agraiH = with sharp points; adhogatibhiH = which had downward movement; aashugaiH = which go fast; naarachaiH = Narachas; ardha naaraachaiH = Demi-naraches; bhallaiH = Bhallas (with wide tips); aNjalikairapi = Anjalis; vatsa dantaishcha = Vatsadantas; simha damSTraiH = Simhadantas; tathaa = and; kSuraiH = those shafts like unto razors.
Indrajit pierced Rama by arrows with golden shafts, with sharp points, which had downward movement, which go fast, Narchas, Demi-narachas, Bhallas (with wide tips), Anjalis, Vatsa dantas, Simha dantas and those shafts like unto razors.
स वीर शयने शिश्ये विज्यम् आदाय कार्मुकम् || ६-४५-२४
भिन्न मुष्टि परीणाहम् त्रिणतम् रुक्म भूषितम् |
24. aavidhya = throwing asunder; kaarmukam = his bow; vijyam = string-less; bhinna muSTipariiNaaham = detached from the hold of his fist; trinatam = and which was bent at three places; rukma bhuuSitam = adorned with gold; saH = that Rama; shishye = lied down; viirashayane = on heroes bed (on the battle-ground).
Throwing asunder his bow bent at three places, adorned with gold, with its string loosened away and detached from the hold of his fist, Rama lied down on the battle-ground.
बाण पात अन्तरे रामम् पतितम् पुरुष ऋषभम् || ६-४५-२५
स तत्र लक्ष्मणो दृष्ट्वा निराशो जीविते अभवत् |
25. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; puruSarSabham = Rama the excellent among men; patitam = fallen; tatra = there; baaNa paataantare = at a distance of a range of an arrow; lakSmaNaH = Lakshmana; abhavat = became; niraashaH = the one without any hope; jiivite = in life.
Seeing Rama the excellent man fallen, at a distance of an arrows range, Lakshman became hopeless about his own life.
रामम् कमलपत्राक्षं शरबन्धपरिक्षतम् || ६-४५-२६
शुशोच भ्रातरं दृष्ट्वा पतितम् धरणीतले |
26. dR^iSTvaa = seeing bhraataram = his elder brother; raamam = Rama; kamala patraakSam = with his eyes resembling lotus-leaves; patitam = having fallen; dharaNiitale = on the ground; sharabandha parikSatam = wounded by a net work of arrows; (Lakshmana); shushocha = lamented.
Seeing his elder brother Rama, with his eyes resembling lotus-leaves, having fallen on the ground, wounded as he was by a net work of arrows, Lakshmana felt sad.
हरयश्चापि तम् दृष्ट्वा सम्तापम् परमं गताः || ६-४५-२७
27. dR^iSTvaa = beholding; tam = that Rama; harayashchaapi = the monkeys also; gataaH = obtained; paramam = great; samtaapam = grief; ashrupuurita lochanaaH = with their eyes filled in tears; shokaartaaH = afflicted by sorrow; ghoram = and terribly; chakmshuH = wept.
Beholding that Rama, the monkeys too were in great grief and wept terribly, with their eyes filled in tears, being afflicted as they were by sorrow.
बद्धौ तु वीरौ पतितौ शयानौ |
तौ वानराह् सम्परिवार्य तस्थुह् |
समागता वायु सुत प्रमुख्या |
विषदम् आर्ताह् परमम् च जग्मुह् || ६-४५-२८
28. te vaanaraaH = Those monkeys; vaayusuta pramukhyaaH = with Hanuman in first place; samaagataaH = gathered at one place; tasthuH = and stood; samparivaarya = surrounding; tau = both those Rama and Lakshman; baddhau = bound by a net work of arrows lying down; viirashayane = on the battle-ground; jagmuH cha = (they) aartaaH = were disturbed; jagmuH cha = and obtained; paramam = a great; viSaadam = grief.
Those monkeys with Hanuman in first place gathered at a place and stood surrounding Rama and Lakshmana, who wee bound by a net work of arrows and lying down on the battle ground. They were disturbed and afflicted sorrow.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे पञ्चचत्वारिंशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© June 2005, K. M. K. Murthy
Read more about:
arrows and rama
moved by FREE Go FTP Client