Extra-ordinary duels arose between the monkeys and demons, who ran up towards each other. Indrajit fought with Angeda, Sampati with Prajangha, Hanuman with Jambumali, Vibhishana with the demon Shatrughna, Gaja with Tapana, Nila with Nikumbha, Sugreeva with Praghasa, Lakshmana with Virupaksha, Agniketu and others with Rama, Vajramsushit with Mainda, Ashaniprabha with Divivda, Pratapana with Nala and Sushena with Vidyunami. Streams of blood flowed from both sides. In a series of hand-to-hand encounters, the valiant monkeys destroyed the strong demons. The remaining demons waited for the sun to se-in and re-assembled with a renewed vigour for the battle.
युध्यताम् तु ततस् तेषाम् वानराणाम् महात्मनाम् |
रक्षसाम् सम्बभूव अथ बल कोपह् सुदारुणः || ६-४३-१
1. tataH = then; teSaam vaanaraaNaam = (While) those monkeys; mahaatmanaam = the exceedingly wise; rakSasaamcha = and the demons; yuddhyataam = were doing the battle; sudaaruNaH = a very harsh; bala roSaH = military ferocity; sambabhuuvaH = arose; atha = thereafter.
While highly wise monkey-troops and the demons were fighting a terrible military ferocity arose in them.
ते हयैः कान्चन आपीडैर् ध्वजैश च अग्नि शैख उपमैः |
रथैश च आदित्य सम्काशाइह् कवचैश च मनो रमैः || ६-४३-२
निर्ययू राक्षस व्याघ्रा नादयन्तो दिशओ दशा |
राक्षसा भीम कर्माणो रावणस्य जय एषिणः || ६-४३-३
2; 3. te raakSasaaH = those demons; raakSasa vyaaghraaH = the best of ogres; bhiima karmaaNaH = performing terrific acts; jayaiSiNaH = and desiring victory; raavaNasya = for Ravana; niryayuH = marched ahead; hayaiH = on horses; kaaNchana piiDaiH = with golden trappings; gajaishcha = on elephants; agnishikhopamaiH = resembling point-like flames; rathaiH = on chariots; aaditya samkaashaiH = looking like sun; manoramaiH = and with beautiful; kavachaishcha = armours; naadayantaH = with reverberant sound; dasha dishaH = in the ten regions.
Those demons, the best of ogres, doing terrific acts and eager to triumph in Ravana's name, marched ahead on steeds with golden trappings or elephants resembling pointed flames, or in chariots flashing like the sun and themselves wearing beautiful armours, creating reverberant sounds in the ten regions.
वानराणाम् अपि चमूर् महती जयम् इच्चताम् |
अभ्यधावत ताम् सेनाम् रक्षसाम् काम रूपिणाम् || ६-४३-४
4. bR^ihatii = the great; chamuuH api = army too; vaanaraaNaam = of monkeys; ichchhataam = eager; jayam = to triumph; abhyadhavata = marched opposite; taam senaam = to those troops; rakSasaam = of demons; ghora karmaNaam = of terrible acts.
The great army of monkeys, also eager to triumph, marched opposite to those troops of demons of terrible acts.
एतस्मिन्न् अन्तरे तेषाम् अन्योन्यम् अभिधावताम् |
रक्षसाम् वानराणाम् च द्वन्द्व युद्धम् अवर्तत || ६-४३-५
5. etasmin antare = meanwhile; dvandva yuddam = extra ordinary duels; avartata = arose; teSaam = (between) those; rakSasaam = demons; vaanaraaNaam cha = and moneys; abhidhaavataam = who ran up towards; anyonyam = each other.
Extra-ordinary duels arose between those demons and monkeys, who ran up towards each other.
अन्गदेन इन्द्रजित् सार्धम् वालि पुत्रेण राक्षसः |
अयुध्यत महा तेजास् त्र्यम्बकेण यथा अन्धकः || ६-४३-६
6. raakSasaH = the demon; indrajit = Indrajit; mahaatejaaH = of immense energy; ayudhyata = fought; aN^gadema saartham = with Angada; vaaliputreNa = the son of Vali; andhakaH iva = like the demon Andhaka; tryambakeNa yathaa = fought with Shiva the Lord of Destruction.
The demon Indrajit of immense energy fought with Angada the son of Vali, as the demon Andhaka fought with Shiva the Lord of destruction.
प्रजन्घेन च सम्पातिर् नित्यम् दुर्मर्षणो रणे |
जम्बू मालिनम् आरब्धो हनूमान् अपि वानरः || ६-४३-७
7. sampaatiH = A monkey called Sampati; nityam = forever; durdharSaNaH = uncomquerable; raNe = in war; prajaN^ghena = fought with Prajangha; hanumaanapi = Hanuman too; vaanaraH = the monkey; aarabdhaH = started (fight); jambu maalinam = with Jambumali.
The ever indomitable Sampati fought with Prajangha and Hanuman the monkey measured his strength with Jambumali.
सम्गतः सुमहा क्रोधो राक्षसो रावण अनुजः |
समरे तीक्ष्ण वेगेन मित्रघ्नेन विभीषणः || ६-४३-८
8. raakSasaH = the demon; mahaakrodhaH = with great fury; vibhiiSaNaH = Vibhishana; raavaNaanujaH = the younger brother of Ravana; samgataH = confronted; shatrughnena = with Shatrughana; tiikSNavegena = possessing fiery velocity; samara = in battle.
The demon with great fury, Vibhishana the younger brother of Ravana confronted with Shatrughna possessing fiery velocity in battle.
तपनेन गजह् सार्धम् राक्षसेन महा बलः |
निकुम्भेन महा तेजा नीलो अपि समयुध्यत || ६-४३-९
9. gajaH = Gaja; mahaabalaH = of great strength; raakSasena saartham = (fought) with a demon; tapaneva = called Tapana; nilo.api = and Nila also; mahaatejaH = of great energy; samayudhyata = fought; nikumbhena = with Nikumbha.
Gaja of great strength fought with a demon called Tapana and Nila too of great energy fought with Nikumbha.
वानर इन्द्रस् तु सुग्रीवह् प्रघसेन समागतः |
सम्गतः समरे शरीमान् विरूप अक्षेण लक्ष्मणः || ६-४३-१०
10. sugriivaH = Sugreeva; vaanarendraH = the king of monkeys; susamgataH = confronted well; praghasena = with Praghasa; shriimaan = and the glorious; lakSmaNaH = Lakshmana; samgataH = confronted; viruupaakSeNa = with Virupaksha; samara = in the battle.
Sugreeva the king of monkeys confronted well with Praghasa and the glorious Lakshmana confronted with Virupaksha in the battle.
अग्नि केतुश च दुर्धर्षो रशमि केतुश च राक्षसः |
सुप्तघ्नो यज्न कोपश च रामेण सह सम्गताः || ६-४३-११
11. sudardharSaH = the invincible; agniketuH = Agniketu; rashmi ketushcha = Rashmiketu; raakSasaH = the demon; mitraghnuH = Mitraghnu; yajJNa kopashcha = and Yajnakopa; samgataaH = confronted; raameNa saha = with Rama.
The invincible Agniketu, Rashmiketu, Mitraghnu and Yajnakopa confronted with Rama.
वज्र मुष्टिश्च मैन्देन द्विविदेन अशानि प्रभः |
राक्षसाभ्याम् सुघोराभ्याम् कपि मुख्यौ समागतौ || ६-४३-१२
12. vjramuSTiH = Vajramushti; (confronted) maindena = with Mainda; ashaniprabhaH = and Ashaniprabha; dvividena = with Dvivida; kapimukhyau = those principal monkeys Mainda and Dvivida; samaagatau = confronted; sughoraabhyaam raakSasaabhyaam = with those highly terrific demons.
Vajramushti confronted with Mainda and Ashaniprabha with Dvivida. Those principal monkeys Mainda and Dvivida confronted with those highly terrific demons.
वीरह् प्रतपनो घोरो राक्षसो रण दुर्धरः |
समरे तीक्ष्ण वेगेन नलेन समयुध्यत || ६-४३-१३
13. pratapanaH = Pratapana; viiraH = the valiant; ghoraH = terrific; raNadurdharaH = and invincible in battle; samayuddhyata = fought well; nalena = with Nala; samara tiikSNa vegena = of intense speed in battle.
Pratapana, the valiant, terrific and invincible in battle fought well with Nala of intense speed in battle.
धर्मस्य पुत्रो बलवान् सुषेण;इति विशरुतः |
स विद्युन् मालिना सार्धम् अयुध्यत महा कपिः || ६-४३-१४
14. saH mahaakapiH = that great monkey; vishrutaH = named; suSeNaH iti = as Sushena; balavaan = the strong; putraH = son; dharmasya = of Yama; ayudhyata = fought; vidyunmaalinaa; saartham = with Vidyunmali.
That great monkey called Sushena, the strong son of Yama fought with Vidyunmali.
वानराश च अपरे भीमा राक्षसैर् अपरैह् सह |
द्वन्द्वम् समीयुर् बहुधा युद्धाय बहुभिह् सह || ६-४३-१५
15. apare = some other; ghoraaH = dreadful; vaanaraashcha = monkeys; yuddhvaacha = having fought; bahubhiH saha = with many; sahasaa = swiftly; dvandvam samiiyuH = got a duel; aparaiH; saha = with other; raakSasaiH = demons.
Some other dreadful monkeys, having finished their fight with many demons, swiftly got a duel with some other demons.
तत्र आसीत् सुमहद् युद्धम् तुमुलम् लोम हर्षणम् |
रक्षसाम् वानराणाम् च वीराणाम् जयम् इच्चताम् || ६-४३-१६
16. tatra = there; sumahat = a very great; yuddham = battle; romaharSaNam = which caused hair to stand one end; tumulam = and tumultuous; aasiit = continued; viiraaNaam = (between) heroic; rakSasaam = demons; vaanaraaNaamcha = and monkeys; ichhataam = who were eager to triumph.
A very great tumultuous battle, which caused hair to stand on end, continued there between heroic demons and monkeys, who were eager to triumph.
हरि राक्षस देहेभ्यह् प्रसृताह् केशा शाअड्वलाः |
शारीर सम्घाट वहाह् प्रसुस्रुह् शओणित आपगाः || ६-४३-१७
17. shoNitaapagaaH = streams of blood; prasusruH = flowed; prasR^itaaH = coming forth; hariraakSasa dehebhyaH = from the bodies of monkeys and demons; kasha shaadvalaaH = with turfs of hair; shariira samghaaTa vahaaH = and carrying bodies in the stream like timber.
Streams of blood flowed from the bodies of monkeys and demons, with turfs of hair and carrying bodies in the stream, like timber.
आजघान इन्द्रजित् क्रुद्धो वज्रेण इव शात क्रतुः |
अन्गदम् गदया वीरम् शात्रु सैन्य विदारणम् || ६-४३-१८
18. kruddhaH = the enraged; indrajit = Indrajit; ajaghaana = struck; viiram = the valiant; aN^gadam = Angada; shatrusainya vidaaraNam = who can tear asunder the enemy forces; gadayaa = with a mace; shata katruH iva = like Indra the Lord of celestials; vajreNeva = with his thunder-bolt.
The enraged Indrajit struck the valiant Angada (who can tear asunder the enemy forces) with a mace, like Indra the Lord of celestials with his thunder-bolt.
तस्य कान्चन चित्र अन्गम् रथम् साशवम् ससारथिम् |
जघान समरे शरीमान् अन्गदो वेगवान् कपिः || १९
19. vegavaan = the swift; shriimaan = and glorious; hariH = monkey; aN^gadaH = Angada; jahaana = struck; tasya = his; ratham = the chariot; kaaN^chana chitraaNgam = having a variegated body of gold; saashvam = along with horses; including the charioteer; samara = in the battle.
The swift monkey, Angada struck his chariot, having a variegated body of gold, along with horses and the charioteer in the battle.
सम्पातिस् तु त्रिभिर् बाणैह् प्रजन्घेन समाहतः |
निजघान अशव कर्णेन प्रजन्घम् रण मूर्धनि || ६-४३-२०
20. sampaatistu = Sampati; samaahataH = who was struck; prajaN^ghena = by Prajangha; tribhiH = with three; baaNaiH = arrows; nijaghaana = killed; prajaN^gham = prajangha; ashvakarNena = by an Ashvakarna tree; raNamuurdhani = at a zenith of the combat.
Sampati, who was struck by Prajangha with three arrows, killed Prajangha by an Ashvakarna tree, at the zenith of the combat.
जम्बू माली रथस्थस् तु रथ शाक्त्या महा बलः |
बिभेद समरे क्रुद्धो हनूमन्तम् स्तन अन्तरे || ६-४३-२१
21. jambumaalii = Jambumali; mahaabalaH = having a mighty prowess; rathasthaH = who was in the chariot; kruddhaH = was enraged; bibheda = banged; hanuumantam = Hanuman; samara = in the battle; ratha shaktyaa = with a javelin lying in his chariot; stanaantare = in the region of the breast.
Jambumali, standing in his chariot, full of strength and fury banged on Hanuman's breast, with a javelin kept in his chariot, on the field of battle.
तस्य तम् रथम् आस्थाय हनूमान् मारुत आत्मजः |
प्रममाथ तलेन आशौ सह तेन एव रक्षसा || ६-४३-२२
22. hanuman = Hanuman; maarutaatmajaH = the son of wind-god; aasthaaya = ascended; tasya = his; tam ratham = that chariot; aashu = soon; pramamaatha = overthrew (it); tena rakSasaa sahaiva = together with the demon; talena = with the palm of his hand.
Hanuman, the son of the wind-god, ascended his chariot and soon overthrew it together with the demon, with the palm of his hand.
भिन्न गात्रः शारैस् तीक्ष्णैह् क्षिप्र हस्तेन रक्षसा |
प्रजघान अद्रि शऋन्गेण तपनम् मुष्टिना गजः || ६-४३-२३
23. saH ghoraH pratapanaH = that terrible pratapana; nadan = while roaring; abhyadhaavata = ran; nalam = towards Nala; nalaH aashu = suddenly; paatayaamaasa = scratched out; pratapanasya = Pratapana's; chakSusii = eyes.
That terrific Pratapana, while roaring, ran towards Nala. Nala suddenly scratched out Pratapana's eyes.
ग्रसन्तम् इव सैन्यानि प्रघसम् वानर अधिपः |
सुग्रीवः सप्त पर्णेन निर्बिभेद जघान च || ६-४३-२४
24. bhinna gaatraH = Pierced in the limbs; tiikSNaiH = by sharp; sharaiH = arrows; rakSasaa = by Praghasa the demon; kSipra hastena = the swift-handed; sugriivaH = Sugreeva; vaanaraadhipaH = the Lord of demons; javena = immediately; nijaghena = killed; praghasam = Praghasa; grasantamiva = who was looking like swallowing; sainyaani = the armies; saptaparNena = with a Saptaparna tree.
Pierced in the limbs by sharp arrows by Praghasa the swift-handed demon, Sugreeva the Lord of demons immediately killed Praghasa (who was appearing to swallow the monkey-troops) with a Saptaparna tree.
प्रपीड्य शार वर्षेण राक्षसम् भीम दर्शानम् |
निजघान विरूप अक्षम् शारेण एकेन लक्ष्मणः || ६-४३-२५
25. lakSmaNaH = Lakshman; bhiima darshanam = with terrific look; nipiiDya = having; tormented; raakSasam = the demon; viruupaakSam = Virupaksha; sharavarSeNa = by a bombardment of arrows; nijaghaana = killed (him); ekena = by one; shareNa = arrow.
Lakshmana with a terrific look, having tormented Virupaksha the demon with a shower of arrows, finally killed him with an arrow.
अग्नि केतुश च दुर्धर्षो रशमि केतुश च राक्षसः |
सुप्तिघ्नो यज्न कोपश च रामम् निर्बिभिदुह् शारैः || ६-४३-२६
26. durdharSaH = the invincible; agniketushcha = Agniketu; raakSasaH = the demon; rashmiketushcha = Rashmiketu; mitrughnaH = Mitrughna; yajJNa kopashcha = Yajna kopa; nirbibhiduH = wounded; raamam = Rama; sharaiH = by arrows.
The invincible Agniketu, Rashmiketu, Mitrughna and Yajnakopa wounded Rama by arrows.
तेषाम् चतुर्णाम् रामस् तु शैरांसि समरे शारैः |
क्रुद्धश चतुर्भिश चिच्चेद घोरैर् अग्नि शैख उपमैः || ६-४३-२७
27. kruddhaH = the enraged; raamastu = Rama on his part; chichheda = chopped; shiraamsi = the heads; teSaam = of those; chaturNaam = four demons; chaturbhiH = by four; sharaiH = arrows; agni shikhopamaiH = having fire-like points; ghoraiH = and dangerous; samara = in battle.
The enraged Rama on his part chopped the hands of those four demons in the battle by his four terrific arrows having fire-like points.
वज्र मुष्टिस् तु मैन्देन मुष्टिना निहतो रणे |
पपात सरथह् साशवह् पुराट्ट इव भू तले || ६-४३-२८
28. nihataH = struck; muSTinaa = with his fist; maindena = by Mainda; raNe = in the fight; vajramuSTistu = Vajramushti; sarathaH = along with his chariot; saashvaH = and horses; papaata = fell; bhuutale = to the ground; puraaTTaH iva = like a watch-tower on a city-wall.
Struck with a fist by Mainda in the battle, Vajramushti along with his chariot fell to the ground like a watch-tower on a city-wall.
वज्र अशानि सम स्पर्शओ द्विविदो अप्य् अशानि प्रभम् |
जघान गिरि शऋन्गेण मिषताम् सर्व रक्षसाम् || ६-४३-२९
29. nikumbhastu = Nikumbha; nirbhibheda = chopped; niilam = Nila; niilaaNjana chayaprabham = having a radiance of a mass of collyrium; raNe = in battle; tiikSNaiH = by his sharp; sharaiH = arrows; meghamiva = like a cloud; karaiH = by the rays; amshumaan = of the sun.
Nikumbha chopped Nila, having a radiance of a mass of collyrium in battle, by his sharp arrows, like a cloud by the rays of the sun.
द्विविदम् वानर इन्द्रम् तु द्रुम योधिनम् आहवे |
शारैर् अशानि सम्काशाइह् स विव्याध अशानि प्रभः || ६-४३-३०
30. atha = then; nikumbhaH = Nikumbha; kSipra hastaH = the swift-handed; nishaacharaH = demon; punaH = again; bibheda = wounded; niilam = Nila; sharashatena = by hundred arrows; samara = in the battle; prajahaasa cha = and laughed continuously.
Then, Nikumbha the swift-handed demon again wounded Nila by a hundred arrows in the battle and laughed continuously.
स शारैर् अतिविद्ध अन्गो द्विविदह् क्रोध मूर्चितः |
सालेन सरथम् साशवम् निजघान अशानि प्रभम् || ६-४३-३१
31. niilaH = Nila; chichchheda = chopped; shiraH = the head; saaratheH = of the charioteer; nikumbhasya = of Nikumbha; tasyaiva = by exactly his; ratha chakreNa = chariot-wheel; samara = in the fight; viSNuriva = like Vishnu the Lord of preservation; aahave = in a battle.
Nila chopped the head of the charioteer of Nikumbha by the wheel of the same chariot in that fight, as Vishnu the Lord of preservation (by his Chakra, a circular missile weapon) in a battle.
निकुम्भस् तु रणे नीलम् नील अन्जन चय प्रभम् |
निर्बिभेद शारैस् तीक्ष्णैह् करैर् मेघम् इव अंशौमान् || ६-४३-३२
32. dvivido.api = even Dvivida; vajraashamisam sparshaH = whose impact was like a flash of lightening of a thunder bolt; jaghaana = struck; ashniprabham = Ashniprabha; girishR^iNgeNa = with a rock; miSataam = before the eyes; sarva rakSasaam = of all the demons.
Even Dvivida, whose impact was like a flash of lightening of a thunder bolt, struck Ashaniprabha with a rock before the eyes of all the demons.
पुनः शार शातेन अथ क्षिप्र हस्तो निशाअ चरः |
बिभेद समरे नीलम् निकुम्भह् प्रजहास च || ६-४३-३३
33. saH ashani prabhaH = that Ashaniprabha; viviyaadha = wounded; sharaiH = by his arrows; ashani samkaashaiH = resembling thunder-bolt; tam dvividam = that Dvivida; vaanarendram = the leader of monkeys; druma yodhinam = who was fighting with trees; aahave = in the battle.
That Ashaniprabha wounded Dvivida the monkey leader by his thunder bolt-like arrows, while Dvivida was fighting with trees in the battle.
तस्य एव रथ चक्रेण नीलो विष्णुर् इव आहवे |
शैरश चिच्चेद समरे निकुम्भस्य च सारथेः || ६-४३-३४
34. abhividdhaaN^gaH = with his limbs struck; sharaiH = by arrows; saH dvividaH = that Dvivida; krodha muurchhitaH = agitated by anger; nijaghaana = struck; salena = with a Sala tree; ashaniprabha = Ashaniprabha; saratham = along with the chariot; saashvam = and the horses.
With his limbs struck by arrows, that Dvivida agitated as he was by anger, struck with a Sala tree, Ashaniprabha, his chariot and the horses.
विद्युन् माली रथस्थस् तु शारैह् कान्चन भूषणैः |
सुषेणम् ताडयाम् आस ननाद च मुहुर् मुहुः || ६-४३-३५
35. vidyunmaalii = vidyunmali; rathasthaH = seated in a chariot; taaDayaamaasa = struck; muhurmuhuH = again and again; suSeNam = Sushena; sharaiH = with arrows; kaaN^chana bhuuSaNaiH = adorned with gold; nanaada cha = and made a roaring sound.
Vidyunmali, seated in a chariot, struck Sushena repeatedly with arrows adorned with gold and made a roaring sound.
तम् रथस्थम् अथो दृष्ट्वा सुषेणो वानर उत्तमः |
गिरि शऋन्गेण महता रथम् आशौ न्यपातयत् || ६-४३-३६
36. atho = thereafter; susheNaH = Sushena; vaanarottamaH = the excellent monkey; dR^iSTvaa = seeing; tam = him; rathastham = mounted on a chariot; aashu = quickly; ratham nyapaatayat = caused the chariot to fall down; mahataa = by a huge; girishR^iNgeNa = rock.
Sushena the excellent monkey, seeing him mounted on a chariot, quickly caused the chariot to fall down, by a huge rock.
लाघवेन तु सम्युक्तो विद्युन् माली निशाअ चरः |
अपक्रम्य रथात् तूर्णम् गदा पाणिह् क्षितौ स्थितः || ६-४३-३७
37. apakramya = retreating; tuurNam = soon; rathaat = from the chariot; vidyunmaalii = vidyunmali; nishaacharaH = the demon; samyuktaH = endowed; laaghavena = with a skill; sthitaH = stood; gadaapaaNiH = with a mace in his hands kSitau = on the ground.
Retreating soon from the chariot, Vidyunmali the demon endowed with a skill, stood on the ground with a mace in his hand.
ततह् क्रोध समाविष्टह् सुषेणो हरि पुम्गवः |
शैलाम् सुमहतीम् गृह्य निशाअ चरम् अभिद्रवत् || ६-४३-३८
38. tataH = then; haripuNgavaH = the excellent monkey; suSeNaH = Sushena; krodhamaaviSTaH = engulfed with anger; gR^ihya = sizing; sumahatiim = a very huge; shilaam = rock; abhidravat = chased; nishaacharam = that demon.
Then, the excellent monkey, Sushena engulfed as he was with anger, seizing a very huge rock in his hands, chased that demon.
तम् आपतन्तम् गदया विद्युन् माली निशाअ चरः |
वक्षस्य् अभिजग्नान आशौ सुषेणम् हरि सत्तमम् || ६-४३-३९
39. vidyunmaalii = Vidyunmali; nishaacharaH = the ranger of the night; abhijaghaanaha = struck; tam = that; aapatantam = approaching suSeNam = Sushena; haripuN^gavam = the excellent monkey; aashu = quickly; gadayaa = with a mace; vakSasi = on his chest.
Vidyunmali the ranger of the night; struck that approaching Sushena the excellent monkey, quickly with a mace on his chest.
गदा प्रहारम् तम् घोरम् अचिन्त्य प्लवग उत्तमः |
ताम् शैलाम् पातयाम् आस तस्य उरसि महा मृधे || ६-४३-४०
40 achintya = not minding; tam = that; ghoram = terrific; gadaaprahaaram = blow with the mace; mahaamR^idhe = in that great battle; plavagottamaH = the excellent monkey; Sushena; tuuSNiim = silently; paatayaamaasa = threw; taam = that rock; tasya urasi = on his chest.
Not minding that terrific blow with the mace in the great battle, Sushena the excellent monkey silently threw that huge rock on his chest.
शैला प्रहार अभिहतो विद्युन् माली निशाअ चरः |
निष्पिष्ट हृदयो भूमौ गत असुर् निपपात ह || ६-४३-४१
41. nishaacharaH = the demon; vidyunmaalii = Vdyunmali; shilaaprahaaraabhihataH = struck by the thump of that rock; niSpiSTa hR^idayaH = his chest crushed; nipahaata ha = fell; gataasuH = lifeless; bhuumau = on the earth.
Struck by the thump of that rock, Vidyunmali the demon, his chest crushed, fell lifeless on the earth.
एवम् तैर् वानरैह् शौउरैह् शौउरास् ते रजनी चराः |
द्वन्द्वे विमृदितास् तत्र दैत्या;इव दिव ओकसैः || ६-४३-४२
42. te = those; shuuraaH = strong; rajaniicharaaH = demons; vimathitaaH = were destroyed; evam = thus; taiH = by those; shuuraiH = strong; vaanaraiH = monkeys; tatra = there; dvandeve = in a series of hand to hand encounters; daityaa iva = as the demons; divaukasaiH = by the celestials.
Those strong demons were destroyed thus by those valiant monkeys there in a series of hand to hand encounters, as the demons were destroyed by the blows of the celestials.
भल्लैः खड्गैर् गदाभिश च शाक्ति तोमर पट्टसैः |
अपविद्धश च भिन्नश च रथैः साम्ग्रामिकैर् हयैः || ६-४३-४३
निहतैः कुन्जरैर् मत्तैस् तथा वानर राक्षसैः |
चक्र अक्ष युग दण्डैश च भग्नैर् धरणि संशरितैः || ६-४३-४४
बभूव आयोधनम् घोरम् गोमायु गण सेवितम् |
43; 44. aayodhanam = the battle-field; babhuuva = became; ghoram = frightening; bhallaiH = with extra ordinary spears; anyaiH = other arrows; gadaabhishcha = maces; shaktitomara paTTishaiH = javelins; lances and some other weapons with three points; apaviddhaiH = shattered; rathaishchaapi = chariots; hayaiH = steeds; kuNjaraiH = elephants; mattaiH = in rut; tathaa = and; vaanara raakSasaiH = monkeys and demons; nihataiH = which had been killed; chakraakSayugadaN^Daishcha = wheels; axles and yokes; bhagnaiH = broken; dharaNisamshritaiH = and lying on the ground; gomaayugaNa sevitam = and frequented as it was by herds of jackals.
The battle-field became frightening with extra-ordinary spears, other arrows, maces, javelins, lances and some other weapons with three points, shattered chariots and military steeds elephants in rut, monkeys and demons which had been killed, wheels axles and yokes broken and lying on the ground and frequented as it was by herds of jackals.
कबन्धानि समुत्पेतुर् दिक्षु वानर रक्षसाम् |
विमर्दे तुमुले तस्मिन् देव असुर रण उपमे || ६-४३-४५
45. kabandhaani = the headless trunks; vaanara rakSasaam = of monkeys and demons; samutpetuH = sprang up; dikSu = here and there; tasmin = (in the midst) of that; tumule vimarde = tumultuous conflict; devaasura raNopame = which resembled the war between celestials and demons.
The headless trunks of monkeys and demons sprang up here and there in the midst of that tumultuous conflict, which resembled the war between celestials and demons.
निहन्यमाना हरि पुम्गवैस् तदा |
निशाअ चराह् शओणित दिग्ध गात्राह् |
पुनः सुयुद्धम् तरसा समाशरिता |
दिवाकरस्य अस्तमय अभिकान्क्षिणह् || ६-४३-४६
46. tadaa = then; nishaacharaaH = the rangers of the night; shoNita digdhagaatraaH = their limbs anointed with blood; nihanyamaanaaH = after being attacked; haripuNgavaiH = by the excellent monkeys; divaakarasya astamayaabhi kaaNkSiNaH = longed for sun-set; punaH = and again; samaashritaaH = assembled; tarasaa = with strength; suyuddham = for a good combat.
Then, the rangers of the night, with their limbs anointed with blood after being attacked by the excellent monkeys, longed for sun-set and again with strength, assembled for a good combat.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्येयुद्धकाण्डे त्रिचत्वारिंशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© April 2005, K. M. K. Murthy
further information concerning
Site transported by Go FTP FREE Program