The demons break the news to Ravana about Lanka. Ravana having been laid siege to by the monkeys. Ravana then ascends his mansion and surveys the innumerable troops of monkeys, occupying the entire city of Lanka. Meanwhile, Rama issues a command to the monkeys to destroy the enemies forthwith. The monkeys start demolishing various important defensive structures of the city of Lanka and besiege all the city-gates. Ravana also commands his army to commence combat. Sounds of couches blown by the army and terrible roars on both sides re-echoes the air, earth and sea. Demons begin to strike the monkeys with their weapons and the monkeys respond the strike with trees, mountain-tops, nails and teeth.
ततस् ते राक्षसास् तत्र गत्वा रावण मन्दिरम् |
न्यवेदयन् पुरीम् रुद्धाम् रामेण सह वानरैः || ६-४२-१
1. tataH = then; raakSasaaH = the demons; tatra = there; gatvaa = having gone; raavaNamandiram = to the house of Ravana; nyavedayan = informed (that); puriim = the city of Lanka; ruddhaam = has been besieged; raameNa = by Rama; vaanaraiH saha = along with his monkeys.
Then, the demons there, approached Ravana and informed him that the city had been besieged by Rama along with his monkeys.
रुद्धाम् तु नगरीम् ज़्रुत्वा जात क्रोधो निज़ा चरः |
विधानम् द्विगुणम् ज़्रुत्वा प्रासादम् सो अध्यरोहत || ६-४२-२
2. shrutvaa = hearing; nagariim = that the city; ruddhaam = has been attacked; nishaacharaH = Ravana; jaatakrodhaH = exhibiting his anger; dviguNam = doubly; kR^itvaa = made; vidhaanam = his arrangements; aarohatacha = and ascended; praasaadam = his mansion.
Hearing that the city has been attacked, Ravana exhibiting his anger, doubly made the necessary arrangements for the war and ascended his mansion.
स ददर्ज़ आवृताम् लन्काम् सज़ैल वन काननाम् |
असम्ख्येयैर् हरि गणैः सर्वतो युद्ध कान्क्षिभिः || ६-४२-३
3. saH = that Ravana; dadarsha = saw; laN^kaam = the city of Lanka; sashailavanakaananaam = with its mountains; grooves and forests; vR^itaam = being covered; sarvataH = on all sides; asamkhyeyaiH = by innumerable; harigaNaiH = troops of monkeys; yuddha kaaNkSibhiH = looking for war.
That Ravana caught a glimpse of the city of Lanka, with its mountains, groves and forests all being covered by innumerable troops of monkeys, waiting for war.
स दृष्ट्वा वानरैह् सर्वाम् वसुधाम् कवली कृताम् |
कथम् क्षपयितव्याह् स्युर् इति चिन्ता परो अभवत् || ६-४२-४
4. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; vasudhaam = the earth; kapiliikR^itaam = made brown in colour; sarvaiH = with all; vanaraaH = monkeys; saH = Ravana; abhavat = became; chintaaparaH = lost in thought; iti = as to; katham = how; syuH = (they) can be; kSapayitavyaa = exterminated.
Seeing the earth made all brown with innumerable monkeys, Ravana in great perplexity reflected: "How can they be exterminated?"
स चिन्तयित्वा सुचिरम् धैर्यम् आलम्ब्य रावणः |
राघवम् हरि यूथाम्ज़् च ददर्ज़ आयत लोचनः || ६-४२-५
5. chintayitvaa = having pondered; suchiram = for long; aalambya = regaining; dhairyam = his confidence; aayata lochanaH = and with his eyes widened by surprise; saH = that Ravana; dadarsha = saw; raaghavam = Rama; hariyuuthaamshcha = and his troops of monkeys.
Having pondered for long, regaining his confidence and with his eyes widened by surprise, Ravana gazed on Rama and his troops of monkeys.
राघवः सहसैन्येन मुदितो नाम पुप्लुवे |
लङ्काम् ददर्श गुप्ताम् वै सर्वतो राक्षसैर्वृताम् || ६-४२-६
6. raaghavaH = Rama; muditaH = delightful; saha sainyena = along with the army; pupluve naama = pressed forward (on the back of a monkey); dadarsha = and saw; laN^Kaam = Lanka; guptaam = being guarded; sarvataH = on all sides; vR^itaam = and thronged; raakSasaiH = with demons.
Full of delight, Rama passed forward (on the back of a monkey) along with his army and saw Lanka being guarded on all sides and thronged with demons.
दृष्ट्वा दाशरथिर्लङ्काम् चित्रध्वजपताकिनीम् |
जगाम मनसा सीताम् दूयमानेन चेतसा || ६-४२-७
7. dR^iSTvaa = seeing; laN^kaam = Lanka; chitra dhvaja pataakiniim = decorated with banners and flags; daasharathiH = Rama; jagaama = recollected; manasaa = in his mind; siitaam = about Seetha; duuyamaanena = with a distressed chetasaa = heart.
Seeing that city of Lanka duly decorated with banners and flags, Rama remembered Seetha with a distressed heart.
अत्र सा मृगशाबाक्षी मत्कृते जनकात्मजा |
पीड्यते शोकसंतप्ता कृशा स्थण्डिलशायिनी || ६-४२-८
8. (He said to himself); saa jankaatmajaa = here is that Seetha; mR^iga shaabaakSii = whose eyes resemble those of a fawn; shoka samtaptaa = tormented with grief; kR^ishaa = emaciated; sthaNDila shaayinii = with a bare ground as her bed; piiDyate = and suffereing matkR^ite = on my account; atra = here.
He said to himself, "Here is that daughter of Janaka, whose eyes resemble those of a fawn, tormented with grief, emacitated, with a bare ground as her bed and suffering here on my account."
निपीड्यमानां धर्मात्मा वैदेहीमनुचिन्तयन् |
क्षिप्रमाज्ञापयद्रामो वानरान् द्विषताम् वधे || ६-४२-९
9. anuchintayan = reflecting on; vaidehiim = Seetha; nipiiDyamaanaam = being troubled; dharmaatmaa = the virtuous; raamaH = Rama; kSipram = speedily; aajJNaapayat = issued a command; vaanaraam = to the monkeys; vadhe = to destroy; dviSataam = the enemies.
Reflecting on Seetha being troubled, the virtuous Rama speedily issued a command to the monkeys to destroy the enemies forthwith.
एवमुक्ते तु वचसि रामेणाक्लिष्टकर्मणा |
संघर्षमाणाः प्लवगाः सिम्हनादै रपूर्यन् || ६-४२-१०
10. vachasi = (While) the aforesaid words; uktesati = were spoken; evam = thus; rameNa = by Rama; akliSTakarmaNaa = who was unwearied in action; plavagaaH = the monkeys; samgharSamaaNaaH = vying with one another; aapuurayan = filled the air; simhanaadaiH = with their roaring; resembling those of a lion.
Hearing those words of Rama, who was unwearied in action, the monkeys vying with one another filled the air with their roaring resembling those of lion.
शिखरैर्विकिरामैतां लङ्काम् मुष्टिभिरेव वा |
इति स्म दधिरे सर्वे मनांसि हरियूथपाः || ६-४२-११
11. vikiraama = we shall tear asunder; etaam laNkaam = this Lanka; shikharaiH = with mountain = peaks; muSTibhireva vaa = or with fists alone; iti = thus; dadhire manaamsi = resolved ; sarve = all; hariyuuthapaaH = the monkey- generals.
"We shall tear asunder this Lanka with mountain-peaks or with fists alone." - thus resolved all the monkey- generals.
उद्यम्य गिरिशृङ्गाणि महान्ति शिखराणि च |
तरूंश्चोत्पाट्य विविधांस्तिष्ठन्ति हरियूथपाः || ६-४२-१२
12. hariyuuthapaaH = the monkey- generals; udyamya = having lifted; girishR^iNgaaNi = the mountain-peaks; mahaanti = and huge; shikharaaNi = rocks; utpaaTya = and having plucked up; vividhaan = varius kinds; taruumshcha = of trees; tiSThanti = stood prepared (for the attack).
Lifting up mountain peaks and huge rocks and plucking up various kinds of trees, the monkey-generals stood prepared (for the attack).
प्रेक्षतो राक्षस इन्द्रस्य तान्य् अनीकानि भागज़ः |
राघव प्रिय काम अर्थम् लन्काम् आरुरुहुस् तदा || ६-४३-१३
13. tadaa = then; taani aniikaai = those troops; bhaagashaH = forming into columns aaruruhuH = began to scale the heights; laN^kaam = of Lanka; raakSasendrasya = (while) Ravana; prekSataH = stood gazing; raaghava priya kaamaartham = in order to fulfill Rama's cherished desire.
In order to fulfill Rama's cherished desire, those troops, forming themselves into columns, began to scale the heights of Lanka, while Ravana stood gazing.
ते ताम्र वक्त्रा हेम आभा राम अर्थे त्यक्त जीविताः |
लन्काम् एव अह्यवर्तन्त साल ताल ज़िला आयुधाः || ६-४२-१४
14. te = those monkeys; hemaabhaaH = of golden hue; taamra vaktraaH = with coppery countenance; saala bhuudhara yodhinaH = fighting with sala trees and mountain- peaks; abhyavartanta = marched ahead; laN^kam = towards Lanka; tyakta jiivitaaH = ready to lay down their lives; raamaarthe = in Rama's sevice.
Those monkeys, of golden hue with coppery countenance, fighting with Sala trees and mountain-peaks, marched ahead towards the city of Lanka, ready as they were to lay down their lives in Rama's service.
ते द्रुमैः पर्वत अग्रैज़् च मुष्टिभिज़् च प्लवम् गमाः |
प्रासाद अग्राणि च उच्चानि ममन्तुस् तोरणानि च || ६-४२-१५
15. te plavaN^gamaaH = those monkeys; mamanthuH = demolished; asamkhyaani = innumerable; praakaaraaNi = defensive walls; toraNaanicha = and arches; drumaiH = (with blows) from trees; parvataagraiH = mountain-tops; muSTibhishcha = an fists.
Those monkeys demolished innumerable defensive walls and arches with blows from trees, mountain-tops and fists.
पारिखाः पूरयन्ति स्म प्रसन्न सलिल आयुताः |
पांसुभिह् पर्वत अग्रैज़् च तृणैः काष्ठैज़् च वानराः || ६-४२-१६
16. vaanaraaH = the monkeys; puurayantisma = filled; parikhaiH = the moats; prasanna salilaayutaaH = containing clear water; paamsubhiH = with sands; parvataagraiH = mountain-tops; tR^iNaiH = grasses; kaaSThaishcha = and logs of woods.
The monkeys filled the moats containing clear water with sands, mountain-tops, grasses and logs of wood.
ततः सहस्र यूथाज़् च कोटि यूथाज़् च यूथपाः |
कोटी ज़त युताज़् च अन्ये लन्काम् आरुरुहुस् तदा || ६-४२-१७
17. tataH = thereafter; yuuthapaaH = the commanders; aaruruhuH = scaled (the walls); laN^kaam = of Lanka; (taking with them); sahasrayuuthaashcha = battalions of monkeys in thousands; koTiyuuthaashcha = in crores; koTiyuutha shataashcha = (and even) hundreds of crores; anye cha = along with other.
The commanders scaled the walls of Lanks, taking with them battalions of monkeys in thousands, in crores and even hundreds of crores.
कान्चनानि प्रम्ऱ्द्नन्तस् तोरणानि प्लवम् गमाः |
कैलास ज़िखर आभानि गोपुराणि प्रमथ्य च || ६-४२-१८
18. pramardantaH = tearing up; kaaNchanaani = the golden; toraNaani = arches; pramathyacha = and breaking down; gopuraaNi = the gates; kailaasa shikharaabhaaNi = that equaled the peak of Kailasa the mountainous abode of Shiva the god of destruction; plavaNgamaaH = the monkeys (attacked Lanka).
The monkeys stood tearing up the golden arches and breaking down the gates that equaled the peak of Kailasa the mountainous abode of Shiva the Lord of Destruction.
आप्लवन्तः प्लवन्तज़् च गर्जन्तज़् च प्लवम् गमाः |
लन्काम् ताम् अभ्यवर्तन्त महा वारण सम्निभाः || ६-४२-१९
19. plavaNgamaaH = the monkeys; mahaa vaaraNa samnibhaaH = who resembled great elephants; abhidhaavanti = rushed; taam laN^kaam = towards that Lanka; aaplavanta = sprining; plavantashcha = leaping; garjantashcha = and roaring.
The monkeys who resembled great elephants hurled themselves towards that Lanka, springing, leaping and roaring.
जयत्य् अतिबलो रामो लक्ष्मणज़् च महा बलः |
राजा जयति सुग्रीवो राघवेण अभिपालितः || ६-४२-२०
इत्य् एवम् घोषयन्तज़् च गर्जन्तज़् च प्लवम् गमाः |
अभ्यधावन्त लन्कायाह् प्राकारम् काम रूपिणः || ६-४२-२१
20; 21. plavaNgamaaH = the monkeys; kaama ruupiNaH = who were able to change their form at will; ghoSayantascha = shouting thus; jayati = victory; urubalaH = to the mighty; raamaH = Rma; mahaabalaH = and the valiant; lakSmaNashca = Lakshmana; jayati = victory; raajaa = to the king; sugriivaH = Sugreeva; abhipaalitaH = protected; raaghaveNa = by Rama; garjantashcha = and roaring; abhyadhaavanta = rushed; praakaaram = towards the defensive walls; laN^kaayaaH = of Lanka.
The monkeys, who were able to change their form at will, shouting - "Victory to the mighty Rama and the valiant Lakshmana!" "Victory of Sugreeva protected by Raghava!" and roaring, rushed towards the defensive walls of Lanka.
वीर बाहुः सुबाहुज़् च नलज़् च वन गोचरः |
निपीड्य उपनिविष्टास् ते प्राकारम् हरि यूथपाः || ६-४२-२२
एतस्मिन्न् अन्तरे चक्रुह् स्कन्ध आवार निवेज़नम् |
22. te = those; hariyuuthapaaH = monkey-generals; viirabaahuH = Virabhabu; subaashcha = Subahu; nalashcha = Nala; tathaa = and panasaH = Panasa; nipiiDya = having stormed; praakaaram = the defensive walls; upaniviSTaaH = took up position on them; etasmin antare = meanwhile; chakre = (they); formed; skandhaavaaraniveshanam = an encampment of a multitude of military divisions.
Those monkey-generals Virabahu, Subahu, Nala and Panasa, having position on them. Meanwhile, they formed an encampment of a multitude of military divisions there.
पूर्व द्वारम् तु कुमुदह् कोटिभिर् दज़भिर् वृतः || ६-४२-२३
आवृत्य बलवांस् तस्थौ हरिभिर् जित काज़िभिः |
23. balavaan = the mighty; kumudaH = Kumuda; vR^itaH = surrounded; koTibhiH = by a crore; haribhiH = of monkeys; jita kaashibhiH = who behaved like conquerors; tasthau = stood; aavR^itya = beseizing; puurva dvaaram = the eastern gate (while remaining stationed in north-east).
The mighty Kumuda, surrounded by a crore of monkeys, who behaved like conquerors, stood besieging the eastern gate (while remaining stationed in north-east).
सहायार्थे तु तस्येव निविष्टः प्रसभो हरिः || ६-४२-२४
पनसश्च महाबाहुर्वानरै रभिसम्वृतः |
24. prasabhaH hariH = A monkey called Prasabha; mahaabaahuH = and the mighty armed; panasashcha = panasa; niviSTaH- took up their position; abhisamvR^itaH = surrounded; vaanaraiH = by (other) monkeys; sahaayaarthe = in order toa ssist; tasyaiva = Kumuda himself.
Surrounded by other monkeys, a monkey called Prasabha and the mighty armed Panasa too up their position, in order to assist Kumuda himself.
दक्षिण द्वारम् आगम्य वीरह् ज़त बलिह् कपिः || ६-४२-२५
आवृत्य बलवांस् तस्थौ विम्ज़त्या कोटिभिर् वृतः |
25. balavaan = the strong; viiraH = and valiant; shatabaliH kapiH = monkey; Shatabali; vR^itaH = surrounded; vimshatyaa koTibhiH = by twenty crores (of monkeys); aasaadya = approached; dakSiNa dvaaram = the southern gate (while remaining stationed in south-east); tasthau = and stood; aavR^itya = surrounding it.
The strong and valiant monkey, Shatabali accompanied by twenty crores of monkeys, approached the southern gate (while remaining stationed in south-east) and stood there, to obstruct the exit.
सुषेणह् पज़्चिम द्वारम् गतस् तारा पिता हरिः || ६-४२-२६
आवृत्य बलवांस् तस्थौ षष्टि कोटिभिर् आवृतः |
26. balavaan = the mighty; suSeNaH = Sushena; taarapitaa = the father of Tara; hariH = and a monkey; gatvaa = going; pashchima dvaaram = to the western gate (while remaining stationed in the south-west); aavR^itaH = surrounded; koTi koTibhiH = by crores and crores of monkeys; tasthau = stood; aavR^itya = besieging; (that gate).
The mighty monkey named Sushena, the father of Tara (Vali's wife), going to the western gate (while remaining stationed in the south-west) surrounded by crores and croes of monkeys, stood besieging that gate.
उत्तर द्वारम् आसाद्य रामह् सौमित्रिणा सह || ६-४२-२७
आवृत्य बलवांस् तस्थौ सुग्रीवज़् च हरि ईज़्वरः |
27. raamaH = Rama; saumitreNaa saha = along with Lakshmana; sugreevashcha = and Sugreeva; balavaan = the mighty; hariishvaraH = lord of the monkeys; aagamya = seeking uttara dvaaram = the northern gate (while remaining stationed in the north-west); tasthau = stood; aavR^itya = besieging (that gate)
Rama along with Lakshmana and Sugreeva the mighty lord of the monkeys, seeking the northern gate (while remaining stationed in the north west) stood besieging that gate.
ऋष्काणाम् भीम वेगानाम् धूम्रह् ज़त्रु निबर्हणः || ६-४२-२८
वृतह् कोट्या महा वीर्यस् तस्थौ रामस्य पार्ज़्वतः |
28. dhuumraH = Dhumra; mahaaviiryaH = of great prowess; shatrunibarhaNaH = and annihilator of enemies; vR^itaH = accompanied; koTyaa = R^ikSaaNaam = by a crore of bears; bhiima kopaanaam = having terrific rage; tasthau = stood; paarshvataH = by the side; raamsya = of Rama.
Accompanied by a crore of bears having terrific rage, Dhumra (brother of Jambavan, the king of bears) of great prowess and the annihilator of enemies, took up his position by the side of Rama.
सम्नद्धस् तु महा वीर्यो गदा पाणिर् विभीषणः || ६-४२-२९
वृतो यस् तैस् तु सचिवैस् तस्थौ तत्र महा बलः |
29. vibhiSaNaH = Vibhishana; mahaaviiryaH = of great energy; gadaa paaNiH = with mace in hand; samnaddhaH = clad in defensive armour; vR^itaH = and accompanied; yattaiH = by his watchful; sachivaiH = ministers; tasthau = took his position; yatra = where; mahaabalaH = the mighty Rama (was stationed).
Vibhishana of great energy with mace in hand, clad in defensive armour and accompanied by his watchful ministers, took his position where the mighty Rama is stationed.
गजो गव अक्षो गवयह् ज़रभो गन्ध मादनः || ६-४२-३०
समन्तात् परिघावन्तो ररक्षुर् हरि वाहिनीम् |
30. gajaH = Gaja; gavaakSaH = Gavaksha; gavayaH = GavayaH = Gavaya; sharabhaH = sharabha; gandhamaadanaH = and Gadhamdana; paridhaavantaH = galloping; samantaat = on every side; rarakSuH = defended; hari vaahiniim = the army of monkeys.
Gavaksha, Gavaya, Sharabha and Gandhamadana, galloping on all sides, defended the army of monkeys.
ततः कोप परीत आत्मा रावणो राक्षस ईज़्वरः || ६-४२-३१
निर्याणम् सर्व सैन्यानाम् द्रुतम् आज्नापयत् तदा |
31. tataH = then; raavaNaH = Ravana; raakSashvaraH = the lord of demons; kopa pariitaatmaa = with his mind filled in anger; tadaa = then; aajJNaapayat = commanded; niryaaNam- for the decamping; sarva seinyaanaam = of all the army; drutam = immediately.
Ravana the lord of demons with his mind filled in anger, then commanded for the decamping of the entire army immediately.
एतच्च्रुत्वा तदा वाक्यं रावणस्य मुखेरितम् || ६-४२-३२
सहसा भीमनिर्घोषमुद्घुष्टं रजनीचरैः |
32. shrutvaa = hearing; etat = vaakyam = these words; mukheritam = uttered from the mouth; raavaNasya = of Ravana; udghuSTam = a sound; bhiima nirghoSam = rattling terribly; (was made); rajani charaiH = by the demons; sahasaa = immediately; tadaa = then.
At this command coming from Ravana lips, a tremendous clamour arose among the demons.
ततः प्रबोधिता भेर्यश्चन्द्रपाण्डुरपुष्कराः || ६-४२-३३
हेमकोणैरभिहता राक्षसानां समन्ततः |
33. bheryaH = kettle-drums; Chandra paaNDu puSkaraaH = their discs white as the moon; abhihataaH = on which are beaten; raakSasaanaam = by the demons; hemakoNaiH = with sticks of gold; samantataH = on all sides; prabodhitaaH = were stirred up.
By beating with sticks of gold, the demons stirred up on every side, kettle drums whose discs were white as the moon.
विनेदुश्च महाघोषाः शङ्खः शतसहस्रशः || ६-४२-३४
राक्षसानां सुघोराणां मुखमारुतपूरिताः |
34. shata sahasrashaH = hundres and thousands; shaNkhaaH = of couches; mahaaghoSaaH = with great noise; vinedushcha = blared for the; mukha maaruta puuritaaH = blown with their cheeks extended to the full; raakSasaanaam = by the demons; sughoraaNaam = the most ghastly ones.
Hundreds and thousands of sonorous couches blared forth, blown with their cheeks extended to the full, by the most ghastly demons.
ते बभुः शुभनीलाङ्गाः सशङ्खा रजनीचराः || ६-४२-३५
विध्युन्मण्डलसंनद्धाः सबलाका इवाम्बुदाः |
35. shubhaniilaaNgaaH = with their handsome dark limbs; sa shaNkhaaH = equipped with couches; rajaniicharaaH = those rangers of the night; babhuuH ambudaaH iva = shone like clouds; vidynmaNDala samnaddhaaH = bored with lightning; sabalaakaaH = accompanied by rows of cranes.
With their handsome limbs equipped with couches, those rangers of night shone like clouds bordered with lightning accompanied by rows of cranes.
निष्पतन्ति ततः सैन्या हृष्टा रावण चोदिताः || ६-४२-३६
समये पूर्यमाणस्य वेगा;इव महा उदधेः |
36. niSpatanti = rushed forth; sainyaaH = the battalions; hR^iSTaaH = gaily; tataH = thereafter; raavaNa choditaaH = under Ravana's directions; sanuye iva = as; at the time of Pralaya (dissolution of the world); vegaa = the rushing forth; mahodadhaH = of the ocean; puuryamaaNasya = which is swollen (by clouds).
The battalions rushed forth under Ravana's instructions like the rushing forth of the ocean, which is swollen by the clouds, at the time of universal dissolution.
ततो वानरसैन्येन मुक्तो नादः समन्ततः || ६-४२-३७
मलयः पूरितो येन ससानुप्रस्थकन्दरः |
37. tataH = then; samantataH = from every side; naadaH = a clamour; muktaH = arose; vaanara sainyena = from the army of monkeys; puuritaH = which filled; malayaH = Malaya mountain; sa saanu prastha kandaraH = with its ridger plains and caves.
Then, from every side a clamour, arose from the army of monkeys, which filled Malaya mountain with its ridges, plains and caves.
शङ्खदुन्दुभिनिर्घोषः सिम्हनादस्तरस्विनाम् || ६-४२-३८
पृथिवीं चान्तरिक्षम् च सागरं चाभ्यनादयत् |
38. shaNkha du ndubhi nirghoSaH = the sound of couches and drums; simhanaadaH = and the lionine roars; tarasvinaam = of those warriors; abhyanaadayat = reechoed; pR^ithiviim = over the earth; antarikSamcha = sky; saagaramcha = and sea.
The sound of couches and drums made by the demons and the leouine roars of those monkey- warriors re-echoed over the earth, sky and sea.
गजानां बृंहितैः सार्धं हयानां हेषितैरपि || ६-४२-३९
रथानां नेमिनिर्घोषै रक्षसाम् पदनिःस्वनैः |
39. bR^ihitaiH saartham = with the trumpeting; gajaanaam = of elephants; heSitairapi = the neighing; hayaanaam = of the horses; nemi nirghoSaiH = the clatters of wheels; rathaanaam = of the chariots; pada niHsvanaiH = and the sounds of the couches re-echoed over the earth; sky and sea).
With the trumpeting of elephants, the neighing of the horses, the clattering of the chariot-wheels and the sounds of the foot-steps, the sound of the couches reechoed over the earth, sky and sea.
एतस्मिन्न् अन्तरे घोरह् सम्ग्रामह् समपद्यत || ६-४२-४०
रक्षसाम् वानराणाम् च यथा देव असुरे पुरा |
40. etasmin antare = in the meantime; ghoraH = a terrible; samgraamaH = struggle; samapadyata = ensued; rakSasaam = between the demons; vaanaraaNaam = and the monkeys; puraa yathaa = as; in former times; devaasure = between celestials and demons.
In the meantime, a terrible struggle ensued between the demons and the monkeys, as in the former times between celestials and demons.
ते गदाभिह् प्रदीप्ताभिह् ज़क्ति ज़ूल परज़्वधैः || ६-४२-४१
निजघ्नुर् वानरान् घोराह् कथयन्तह् स्व विक्रमान् |
41. kathayantaH = exhibiting; svavikramaan = their native prowess; te = those demons; nijaghnuH = struck; sarvaan = all; vaanaraan = the monkeys; gadaabhiH = with their maces; shaktishuula parasvadhaiH = spears; harpoons and axes; pradiiptaabhiH = which were flaming.
Exhibiting their native prowess, the demons began to strike all the monkeys with their flaming maces, spears, harpoons and axes.
तथो वृक्षैर् महा कायाः पर्वत अग्रैज़् च वानराः || ६-४२-४२
निजघ्नस्तानि रक्षांसि नगैर्दनैश्च वेगिनः |
राजा जयति सुग्रीव इति शब्दो महानभूत् || ६-४२-४३
42; 43. tataH = then; vaanaraaH = the monkeys; mahaakaayaaH = with huge bodies; veginaH = swiftly; nijaghnuH = struck; taani rakSaamsi = those demons; vR^ikSaiH = with trees; parvataagraishcha = mountain-tops; nakhaiH = nails; dantaishcha = and teeth; jayati = victorious; raajaa = is king; sugriivaH = Sugreeva; iti = thus; abhuut = arose; mahaan = a loud; shabdaH = war-cry.
Then, the gigantic monkeys swiftly struck those demons with trees, mountain-tops, nails and teeth "Victorious is king Sugreeva" - thus arose a loud war-cry.
राजन् जय जयेत्युक्त्वा स्वस्वनामकथां ततः |
राक्षसास्त्वपरे भीमाः प्राकारस्थामहीं गतान् || ६-४२-४४
वानरान् भिन्दिपालैश्च शूलै श्चैव व्यदारयन् |
44. tataH = then; apre = some other; bhiimaaH = terrifying; raakSasaastu = demons on their part; uktvaa = uttering; iti = thus; jaya jaya = "Be winsome! Be victorious" sva sva naama kathaam = proclaimed their own respective names; praakaarasthaaH = (while some) standing on walls; vyadaarayan = hacked; vaanaraan = at the monkeys; gataan mahiim = standing on the ground (below); bhindi palaaishcha = with hooks and harpoons.
Then, some other terrifying demons on their part, shouting "Be winsome! Be victorious!", proclaimed their own respective names. While some demons standing on walls hacked at the monkeys standing on the ground (below) with hooks and harpoons.
वानराचापि सम्क्रुद्धाह् प्राकारस्थान् मही गताः || ६-४२-४५
राक्षसान् पातयाम् आसुह् समाप्लुत्य प्लवम् गमाः |
45. samkruddhaaH = the enraged; vaanaraashchaapi = monkeys too; mahiim gataaH = who were standing on the ground; aaplutya = leapt; kham = into the air; paatayaamaasuH = and dragged down; raakSasaan = those demons; praakaarastaaH = stationed on the walls; svabaahubhiH = (by seizing them) with their arms.
The enraged monkeys, who wee standing on the ground, leapt into the air and dragged down the demons stationed on the walls by seizing them with their arms.
स सम्प्रहारस् तुमुलो मांस ज़ोणित कर्दमः || ६-४२-४६
रक्षसाम् वानराणाम् च सम्बभूव अद्भुत उपमाः |
46. saH = that; tumulaH = tumultuous; samprahaaraH = combat; rakSasaam = between demons; vaanaraaNaam cha = and monkeys; sambadhuuvaH = became; adbhutopamaH = resembling a wonder; maamsa shoNita kardamaH = leaving a mire of flesh and blood.
That tumultuous combat between demons and monkeys transformed into a wonder, leaving a mire of flesh and blood.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्येयुद्धकाण्डे द्विचत्वारिंशः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© March 2005, K. M. K. Murthy
Site transferred by FREE Go FTP Program