Rama advises Sugreeva not to repeat such reckless acts in future on the ground of he being a king. Then Rama tells Lakshmana about the various evil portents he had seen. Rama commands the monkey-generals to besiege all the four gates of Lanka. He himself along with Lakshmana protects the army, besieging the northern gate being guarded by Ravana. Then, Rama sends Angada to Ravana, to expostulate him and to bring him back to reason. Angada tries his best to convince Ravana, but in vain. Ravana commands his attendants to seize Angada. Angada shakes out those attendants who tried to seize him ascends the roof of Ravana's palace, tramples ad crushes it down by his strength. Angada finally returns to Rama, who was stationed in the midst of the monkey-forces.
atha tasmin nimittaani dR^iShTvaa lakShmaNa puurvajaH |
sugriivam sampariShvajya raamo vachanamabraviit || 6-41-1
1. atha = then; dR^iSTvaa = seeing; nimitthaani = the marks of conflict; raamaH = Rama; tasmi = on the person of Sugreeva; puurvajaH = the elder brother of Lkshmana; sampariSvajya = embracing sugriivam = Sugreeva; abraviit = and spoke; vachanam = (these) words.
Seeing the marks of conflict on the person of Sugreeva, Rama the elder brother of Lakshmana after embracing Sugreeva spoke these words.
asaMmantyra mayaa saartham tadidam saahasaM kR^itam |
evam saahasayuktaani na kurvanti janeshvaraaH || 6-41-2
2. asammantray = without consulting; mayaa saardham = me closely; idam = this; tat = such; saahasam = a reckless act; kR^itam = has been done; janeshvaraaH = the kings; na kurvanti = cannot do; saahasa yuktaani = such rash acts; evam = in this manner.
"Without consulting me closely, such a reckless act has been done by you, such a rashness is not seemly in a king."
saMshaye sthaapya maam chedam balam chemam vibhiiShanam |
kaShTaM kR^itamidaM viira saahasaM saahasapriya || 6-41-3
3. viira = O; warrior; saahasa priya = longing for acts of daring!; idam = this; kaSTam- wrong; saahasam = reckless act; kR^itam = has been done (by you); sthaapya = keeping; maamcha = me; idam = this; balamcha = army; imam = and this; vibhiiSaNam cha = Vibhishana; samshaye = in anxiety.
"O, warrior longing for acts of daring! This wrong and reckless act has been done by you, causing me, this army and Vibhishana great anxiety."
idaaniiM maa kR^ithaa viira evam vidhamari.ndama |
tvayi ki.nchitsamaapanne kim kaaryam siitayaa mama || 6-41-4
bharatena mahaabaaho lakShmaNena yaviiyasaa |
shatrughnena cha shatrughna svashariireNa vaa punaH || 6-41-5
4; 5. viira = O; warrior!; arimdama = O; Vanquisher of foes!; ma kR^ithaaH = do not act; evamvidham = thus; idaaniim- now; mahaabaaho = O; the mighty armed!; Shatrughna = O; annihilator of enemies!; O; annihilator of enemies!; tvayi = (If) you; kimchit samaapanne = have come by some misfortune; mama = to me; kim kaaryam = what is the use; siitayaa = with Seetha; bharatena = Bharata; lakSmaNena = Lakshmana; yaniiyasaa = and still younger; shatrughnena = Shatrughna; sva shariineNa vaa punaH = or even with my own person?
"O, warrior! O, vanquisher of foes! Do not act thus in future. O, the mighty armed! O, annihilator of enemies! If you have come by some misfortune, I would have had nothing to do with Seetha, Bharata, Lakshmana or still younger Shatrughna or even with my own person."
tvayi chaanaagate puurvamiti me nishchitaa matiH |
jaanatashchaapi te viiryam mahendravaruNopanu || 6-41-6
hatvaaham raavaNam raavaNam yuddhe saputrabalavaahanm |
abhiShichya cha laN^kaayaam vibhiiShaNa mathaapi cha || 6-41-7
bharate raajyamaaropya tyakShye deham mahaabala |
6; 7. mahaabala = O; monkey of great strength; mahendra varuNopama = equal to Indra the god of celestials and Varuna king of the Universe!; tvayi = (If) you; anaagate = have not returned; jaanatashchaapi = though I am conversant; te = with your; viiryam = valour; me = (this was) my; puurvam = earlier; matiH = determined; nishchitaa = resolve; hatvaa = having killed; raavaNam = Ravana; yuddhe = in fight; saputra bala vaahanam = with his sons forces and chariots; aham = I; abhiSichya = should have installed; vibhiiSaNam = Vibhishana (as king); laNkaayaam = of Lanka; aaropya = placing; raajyam = the kingdom; bharate = in Bharata; athaapi = and even; tyakSye = renounced; deham- my body.
"O, monkey of great strength, equal to Indra the god of celestials and Varuna the king of universe! If you have not returned, though I am conversant with your valour, this was my pre-determined resolve that having killed Ravana in fight with his sons forces and chariots, I should have installed Vibhishana as king of Lanka, placing the kingdom of Ayodhya in the hands of Bharata and renounced my life."
tamevamvaadinaM raamaM sugriivaH pratyabhaaShata || 6-41-8
tava bhaaryaapahartaaraM dR^iShTvaa raaghava raavaNam |
marShayaami katham viira jaananvikramamaatmanaH || 6-41-9
8; 9. sugriivaH = Sugreeva; pratyabhaaSata = replied; tam = to that; raamam = Rama; evam vaadinam = who was thus peaking; viira = O; brave; raaghava = Rama!; dR^iSTvaa = seeing; raavaNam = Ravana; tava bhaaryaapahartaaram = who had taken away your consort; jaanan = conscious; aatmanaH = of my own; balam = strength; katham = how; marSayaami = can I bear it?
Hearing Rama's words, Sugreeva replied as follows: "O, brave Rama! Seeing Ravana who had taken away your consort and being conscious of my own strength, how can I act otherwise?"
ityevaMvaadinaM viiramabhinandya cha raaghavaH |
lakShmaNam lakShmi sampannam idam vacanam abraviit || 6-41-10
10. abhinandya = complimenting; viiram = that hero; Sugreeva; ityevam raadinam = who was thus speaking raaghavaH = Rama; abraviit = spoke; idam = these; vachanam = words; lakSmaNam = to Lakshmana; lakSmi sampannam = was was endowed with auspicious marks.
Complimenting that hero Sugreeva who was thus speaking, Rama addressed Lakshmana, who was endowed with auspicious marks, saying:
parigR^ihya udakam shiitam vanaani phalavanti ca |
bala ogham samvibhajya imam vyuuhya tiShThema lakShmaNa || 6-41-11
11. lakSmaNa = O; Lakshmana!; parigR^ihya = occupying; ( a region); shiitam = providing fresh; udakam = water; vanaanicha = and trees; phalavanti = with fruit; samvibhajya = duly divinding; imam = this; balaugham = multitude of troops; vyuuhya = and drawing it up in a battle array; tiSThaama = we should remain alert.
"O, Lakshmana! Beside these fresh waters and trees laden with fruit, let us divide this multitude of troops, drawing it up in a battle array and remain alert."
loka kShaya karam bhiimam bhayam pashyaamy upasthitam |
nibarhaNam praviiraaNaam R^ikSha vaanara rakShasaam || 6-41-12
12. pashyaami = I foresee; bhayam = a terrible calamity; upasthitam = to have come; lokakSayakaram = boding universal destruction; bhiimam = awful ; nibarhaNam = and death; praviiraaNaam = to the intrepid; R^ikSavaanara rakSasaam = bears; monkeys and demons.
"I foresee a terrible calamity to come, boding universal destruction and death to the intrepid bears, monkeys and demons."
vaataash ca paruSham vaanti kampate ca vasum dharaa |
parvata agraaNi vepante patanti dharaNii dharaaH || 6-41-13
13. paruSam = Harsh; vaataaH = winds; vaanti = blow; vasundharaacha = the earth; kampate = trembles; parvataagraaNi = Mountain-peaks; vepante = shake; dharNiidharaaH = and the elephants bearing the earth; nadanti = trumpet.
"Harsh winds blow. The earth trembles. Mountain-peaks shake and the elephants bearing the earth trumpet."
meghaaH kravyaada samkaashaah paruShaah paruSha svanaaH |
kruuraah kruuram pravarShanti mishram shoNita bindubhiH || 6-41-14
14. kruuraH = Sinister; meghaaH = clouds; paruSa svanaaH = prey roar; paruSaaH = violently; kravyaada samkaashaaH = like carnivorous animals; pravarSanti = and let fall rain; mishram = mixed; shoNita bindubhiH = with drops of blood.
"Sinister clouds prey-roar violently like carnivorous animals and let fall a rain mixed with drops of blood."
rakta candana samkaashaa sa.ndhyaa parama daaruNaa |
jvalac ca nipataty etad aadityaad agni maNDalam || 6-41-15
15. sandhyaa = the dusk; raktachandana samkaashaa = red as sandal; param = daaruNaa = is full of horror; aadityaat = and from the sun; etat = this; jvalat = blazing; agnimaNDalam = mass of fire; nipatati = falls.
"The dusk, red as sandal, is full of horror and from the sun, this blazing mass of fire falls."
aadityam abhi vaashyante janayanto mahad bhayam |
diinaa diina svaraa ghoraa;aprashastaa mR^iga dvijaaH || 6-41-16
16. KruuraaH = wild; mR^iga dvijaaH = beasts and birds; diina svaraaH = emit frantic cris; diinaaH = and are ill at ease; aprashastaaH = ominous; janayantaH = inspiring; mahat = great; bhayam = fear; abhi vaashyanti = facing; aadityam = the sun.
"Wile beasts and birds emit frantic cries, ill at ease and ominous, inspiring great fear, facing the sun."
rajanyaam aprakaashash ca samtaapayati candramaaH |
kR^iShNa rakta a.nshu paryanto yathaa lokasya samkShaye || 6-41-17
17. chandramaaH = the moon; aprashastaH = shorn of its radiance; kR^iSNa raktaamshu paryantaH = surrounded by black and fiery rays; burns red; samkSaye tathaa = as at the time of the destraction of the world; samtaapayati = (and) is creating anguish; rajanyaam = in the night.
"The moon shorn of its radiance, surrounded by black and fiery rays, burns red as at the time of destruction of the word and is creating an anguish in the night."
hrasvo ruukSho aprashastash ca pariveShah sulohitaH |
aaditya maNDale niilam lakShma lakShmaNa dR^ishyate || 6-41-18
18. lakSmaNa = O; Lakshamana!; aaditya maNDale = In the disk of the sun; hrasvaH = a small; pariveSaH = halo; niilam = with a black; lakSma = mark; ruukSaH = fiery; aprashastaH = shoren of its radiance; sulohitaH = and of coppery hue; lakSyate = is seen.
"O, Lakshmana! In the disk of the sun, a small halo with a black mark, fiery, shorn of its radiance and of coppery hue is seen."
dR^ishyante na yathaavac ca nakShatraaNy abhivartate |
yuga antam iva lokasya pashya lakShmaNa sha.nsati || 6-41-19
19. lakSmaNa = O; Lakshmana!; pashya = behold; nakSatraaNi = (that) the stars; dR^ishyante = are not appearing; yathaavat = as they should be; shamsatiiva = foretelling; abhivartate = and intending to quicken; yugaantam = a final dissolution; lokasya = of the world.
"O, Lakshmana! The stars are not appearing as they should be duly foretelling their intention to hasten a final dissolution of the world."
kaakaaH shyenaas tathaa gR^idhraa niicaih paripatanti ca |
shivaash ca apy ashivaa vaacah pravadanti mahaa svanaaH || 6-41-20
20. kaakaaH = crows; shyenaaH = eagles; tathaa = and gR^idhraaH = vultures; paripatanti cha = are whirling round; niichaiH = at a lower level; shivaashcha = Jackals to; pravadanti = are howling; ashubhaaH = inauspicious; vaachaH = sounds.
"Crows, eagles and vultures are whirling round at a lower level. Jackals too are howling inauspicious sounds."
shailaiH shuulaishcha khaDgaishcha vimukteH kapiraakShasaiH |
bhaviShyatyaavR^itaa bhuumirmaaMsashoNitakardamaa || 6-41-21
21. bhuumiH = the earth; aavR^itaa = crowded; shailaiH = with rocks; shuulaishcha = darts; khaDgaishcha = and dagers; vimuktaiH = discharged; kapi raakSasaiH = by monkeys and demons; bhaviSyati = will become; maamasa shoNita kardamaa = a slime of flesh and blood.
"The earth, crowded with rocks, darts and daggers discharged by monkeys and demons, will become a slime of flesh and blood."
kShipram adya duraadharShaam puriim raavaNa paalitaam |
abhiyaama javena eva sarvato haribhir vR^itaaH || 6-41-22
22. abhiyaama = we shall attack; duraadharSaam = the invincible puriim = city; raavaNa paalitaam = ruled by Ravana; javenaiva = swiftly; sarvataH = from all sides; adya = now; kSipram = quickly; vR^itaaH = surrounded; haribhiH = by the monkeys.
"Now surrounded by the monkeys from all sides, let us make an attack on that invincible citadel ruled by Ravana quickly and swiftly."
ity evam tu vadan viiro lakShmaNam lakShmaNa agrajaH |
tasmaad avaatarat shiighram parvata agraan mahaa balaH || 6-41-23
23. ityevam = thus; vadan = speaking; lakSmaNam = to Lakshmana; viiraH = the heroic; lakSmaNaagrajaH = Rama; mahaabalaH = of great strength; avaatarat = descended; shiighram = quickly; tasmaat = from that; parvataagraat = mountain-peak.
Thus speaking to Lakshmana, the heroic Rama of great strength climbed down from that mountain-peak.
avatiirya tu dharma aatmaa tasmaat shailaat sa raaghavaH |
paraiH parama durdharSham dadarsha balam aatmanaH || 6-41-24
24. avatiirya = having descended; tasmaat = shailaat = from that mountain; saH = that; dharmaatmaa = righteous minded; raaghavaH = Rama; dadarsha = saw; aatmanaH balam = his own army; param durdharSam = which was verily unconquerable; pariah = by the enemies.
Having descended from that mountain, Rama, whose mind was set on righeousness, held a review of his own army, which was verily difficult to conquer for the enemies.
samnahya tu sasugriivah kapi raaja balam mahat |
kaalajno raaghavah kaale samyugaaya abhyacodayat || 6-41-25
25. raaggavaH = Rama; kaaljJNaH = who knows the appropriate time; sasugriivaH = along with Sugreeva; samnahya = made ready; mahat = the great; kapila raja balam = army of Sugreeva; abhyachodayat = and commanded (the army) to advance; kale at the appropriate moment; samyngaaya = for the battle.
Rama, who knew the fitting moment to act, along with Sugreeva made ready the great army and commanded the army to advance, at the appropriate moment for the battle.
tataH kaale mahaa baahur balena mahataa vR^itaH |
prasthitah purato dhanvii lankaam abhimukhah puriim || 6-41-26
26. tataH = then; mahaabaahuH = Rama; the mighty armed; vR^itaH = together with; mahataa = the mighty; balena = army; prasthitaH = marched; purataH = in front; dhanvii = wielding a bow; abhimukhaH = towards; laNkaam puriim = the city of Lanka; kale = at the befitting moment.
Rama, the mighty armed, together with the mighty army marched in front, wielding a bow, towards the city of Lanka, at the befitting moment.
tam vibhiiShaNa sugriivau hanuumaan jaambavaan nalaH |
R^ikSha raajas tathaa niilo lakShmaNash ca anyayus tadaa || 6-41-27
27. tadaa = then; vibhiiSaNa sugriivau = Vibhishana; Sugreeva; hanuman = Hanuman; Jaambavau = Jambavan; R^ikSaraajaH = the king of bears; nalaH = Nala; tathaa = and; niilaH = Nila; lakSmaNashcha = and Lakshmana; anvayuH = accompanied; tam = that Rama.
Then, Vibhishana, Sugreeva, Hanuman, Jambavan the king of bears, Nala, Nila and Lakshmana accompanied that Rama.
tataH pashcaat sumahatii pR^itanaa R^ikSha vana okasaam |
pracchaadya mahatiim bhuumim anuyaati sma raaghavam || 6-41-28
28. tataH = thereafter; prachchhaadya = enveloping; mahatiim = the extensive; bhuumim = earth; mahatii = the great; pR^itanaa = army; R^ikSa vanaukasaam = of bears and monkeys; pashchaat = behind them; anuyaati sma = went; accompanying; raaghavam = Rama.
Thereafter, fully covering a vast stretch of land, the great army of bears and monkeys, followed in the wake of Rama.
shaila shR^ingaaNi shatashah pravR^iddhaa.nsh ca mahii ruhaam |
jagR^ihuh kunjara prakhyaa vaanaraah para vaaraNaaH || 6-41-29
29. vaanaraH = monkeys; paravaaraNaaH = the annihilator of enemies; kuNjara prakhyaaH = resembling elephants; jagR^ihuH = took hold of; shailashR^iNgaaNi = mountain-peaks; shatashaH = and hundreds of; pravR^iddhaan = well- grown; mahiiruhaan = huge trees.
Monkeys, the annihilator of enemies, resembling elephants, took hold of mountain-peaks and hundreds of well-grown huge trees.
tau tv adiirgheNa kaalena bhraatarau raama lakShmaNau |
raavaNasya puriim lankaam aasedatur arim damau || 6-41-30
30. tau = bhraatarau raama lakSmaNau = those brothers; Rama and Lakshmana;arindamau = the destroyers of adversaries; aasedatuH = reached; purrim = the city; laN^aam = of Lanka; raavaNasya = of Ravana; adiirgheNa = in not a long; kaalena = time.
Those two brothers Rama and Lakshmana, the destroyers of their adversaries, reached the city of Lanka ruled by Ravana, in not a long time.
pataakaa maaliniim ramyaam udyaana vana shobhitaam |
citra vapraam suduShpraapaam ucca praakaara toraNaam || 6-41-31
taam surair api durdharShaam raama vaakya pracoditaaH |
yathaa nidesham sampiiDya nyavishanta vana okasaH || 6-41-32
31; 32. vanaukasaH = the monkeys; raama vaakya prachoditaaH = encouraged by the sound of Rama's voice (and); sampiiDya = obedient; yathaanidesham = to his command; nyavishanta = halted before; taam = that Lanka; pataaka maaliniim = garlanded with banners; ramyaam = beautiful; udyaana vana shobitaam = splendid with pleasure gardens; chitra vapraam = having an unusual rampart; suduSpraapaam = which is inaccessible; uchchaiH praakaara toraNaam = with its elevated arched door-ways; durdharSaam = invincible; surairapi = even by celestials.
The monkeys, encouraged by the sound of Rama's voice and obedient to his command, halted before the city of Lanka, garlanded with banners, beautiful and splendid with pleasure-gardens, having an unusual rampart which is inaccessible with its elevated arched door-ways and invincible even by the celestials.
lankaayaas tu uttara dvaaram shaila shR^ingam iva unnatam |
raamaH saha anujo dhanvii jugopa ca rurodha ca || 6-41-33
lankaam upaniviShTash ca raamo dasharatha aatmajaH |
lakShmaNa anucaro viirah puriim raavaNa paalitaam || 6-41-34
uttara dvaaram aasaadya yatra tiShThati raavaNaH |
na anyo raamaadd hi tad dvaaram samarthah parirakShitum || 6-41-35
raavaNa adhiShThitam bhiimam varuNena iva saagaram |
saayudhau raakShasair bhiimair abhiguptam samantataH || 6-41-36
laghuunaam traasa jananam paataalam iva daanavaiH |
33; 34; 35; 36. aasaadya = Reaching; laNkaam puriim = the city of Lanka; raavaNa paalitaam = ruled by Ravana; viiraH = the heroic; raamaH = Rama; dasharaatmajaH = the son of Dasaratha; lakSmaNaamaNaanu charaH = accompanied by Lakshmana; upaniviSTaH = halted near; uttara dvaaram = the northern gate; yatra = where; raavaNaH = Ravana; tiSThati = stayed; anyaH = who else; na samarthaH hi = indeed is capable; parirakSitum = to examine; tata dvaaram = that gate; raavaNaadhiSThitam = regulated by Ravana; bhiimam = terrific; saagaram iva = as an ocean; varuNena = regulated by Varuna; abhiguptam = guarded; bhiimaiH = by awful; daanavaiH = demons; samastataH = on all sides; traasajananam = creating fear; laghuunaam = to the lay men; paataalamiva = like a subterranean region; rakSasaiH = guarded by demons.
Reaching the city of Lanka ruled by Ravana, the heroic Rama the son of Dasaratha accompanied by Lakshmana, halted near the northern gate, where Ravana stayed. Who else but Rama is capable of protecting the army besieging that gate, regulated by Ravana, as an ocean, regulated by Varuna, guarded by awful demons on all sides and creating fear to the weak as a subterranean region is guarded by demons?
vinyastaani ca yodhaanaam bahuuni vividhaani ca |
dadarsha aayudha jaalaani tathaiva kavacaani ca || 6-41-37
37. dadarsha = (Rama) saw; vividhaanicha = various types; bahuuni = and multitude; aayudhajaalaani = of collection of weapons; tathaiva = and kavachaanicha = and shields; vinyastaani = kept there; yodhaanaam = by the warriors.
Rama saw various types and multitude of weapons and shields kept there by the warriors.
puurvam tu dvaaram aasaadya niilo hari camuu patiH |
atiShThat saha maindena dvividena ca viiryavaan || 6-41-38
38. niilaH = Nila; viiryavaan = the valiant; hari chamuupatiH = army-chief of monkeys; maindena saha = together with Mainda; dvividena cha saha = and Dvivida; aasaadya = reached; aatiSThat = and halted; (near); puurvam dvaaram = eastern gate.
Nila, the valiant army-chief of monkeys together with Mainda and Dvivida reached and halted before the Eastern gate.
angado dakShiNa dvaaram jagraaha sumahaa balaH |
RShabheNa gava akSheNa gajena gavayena ca || 6-41-39
39. aNgadaH = Angada; sumahaabalaH = of very mighty prowess; R^iSabheNa = together with R^iShabha; gavaakSeNa = Gavaksha; gajena = Gaja; gavayena = and Gavaya; jagraaha = took hold; dakSiNa dvaaram = of southern gate.
Angada of very mighty prowess, together with Rishhabha, Gavaksha, Gaja and Gavaya took charge of the Southern gate.
hanuumaan pashcima dvaaram rarakSha balavaan kapiH |
pramaathi praghasaabhyaam ca viirair anyaish ca samgataH || 6-41-40
40. balavaan = the storng; kapiH = monkey; hanuman = Hanuman; prajaN^gha sangataH = along with; tarasaabhyaam cha = Prajangha; Tarasa; anyeH = and other; viiraishcha = warriors; rarakSa = guarded; pashchima dvaaram = the western gate.
The strong monkey Hanuman together with Prajangha, Tarasa and other warriors, guarded the western gate.
madhyame ca svayam gulme sugriivah samatiShThata |
saha sarvair hari shreShThaih suparNa shvasana upamaiH || 6-41-41
41. sugriivaH = Sugreeva; saha sarvaiH = along with all; harishreSThaiH = the chiefs of monkeys; ssuparNa pavanopamaiH = equal to Garuda the eagle and the vehicle of Vishnu and Vayu the god of the wind; samatiSThata = stationed svayam- himself madhyame = in the middle; gulme = of the fort.
Sugreeva, along with all the chiefs of monkeys equal to the strength of Garuda (the eagle and the vehicle of Vishnu) as well as Vayu the god of the wind, was stationed himself in the middle of the fort.
vaanaraaNaam tu ShaT tri.nshat koTyah prakhyaata yuuthapaaH || 6-41-42
nipiiDya upaniviShTaash ca sugriivo yatra vaanaraH |
42. SaTtrimshatkoTya = thirty six crores; vaanaraaNaam = of monkeys; prakyaata yuuthapaaH = highly renowned generals; upanivivSTaaH = stood besiezed; yatra = where; vaanaraH = the monkey; sugriivaH = Sugreeva (was); nipiiDya = having exerted pressure (on the demons occupying that post).
Thirty six crores of monkeys, highly renowned generals stood besiezed, where the monkey Sugreeva was there, having exerted pressure on the demons occupying that post.
shaasanena tu raamasya lakShmaNah savibhiiShaNaH || 6-41-43
dvaare dvaare hariiNaam tu koTim koTim nyaveshayat |
43. raamasya = under Rama's; shaasanena = command; lakSmaNaH = Lakshmana; savibhiiSanaH = along with Vibhishana; nyaveshayat = distributed; koTim koTim = a crore each; hariiNaam = of monkeys; dvaare dvaare = at each gate.
Meanwhile, under Rama's command, Lakshmana along with Vibhishana distributed a crore each of his monkeys at each gate.
pashcimena tu raamasya sugriivah saha jaambavaan || 6-41-44
aduuraan madhyame gulme tasthau bahu bala anugaH |
44. pashchimena = behind; raamasya = Rama; aduuraat = not far from him; suSeNaH = Sushena; saha jaambavaan = together with Jambavan; bahubalaanugaH = followed by a multitude of forces; tasthau = stood; madhyaame gulme = at the intermediate post.
Behind Rama and not far from him, Sushena together with Jambavan, followed by a multitude of forces, stood at the intermediate post.
te tu vaanara shaarduulaah shaarduulaa;iva damShTriNaH || 6-41-45
gR^ihiitvaa druma shaila agraan hR^iShTaa yuddhaaya tasthire |
45. te = those; vaanara shaarduulaaH = lions among the monkeys; damSTriNaH = possessing the teeth; shaarduulaaH iva = of tigers; gR^ihiitvaa = taking hold; druma shailaagraan = of trees ad rocks; tasthire = waited; hR^iSTaraH = delightedly; yuddhaaya = (for the signal) to fight.
Those lions among the monkeys, possessing the teeth of tigers, taking hold of trees and rocks, waited delightedly for the signal to fight.
sarve vikR^ita laanguulaah sarve damShTraa nakha aayudhaaH || 6-41-46
sarve vikR^ita citra angaah sarve ca vikR^ita aananaaH |
46. sarve = all of them were; feverishly; sarve = all of them were; damSTraanakhaayudhaaH = using their jaws and nails as weapons; sarve = all of them were; vikR^ita chitraaNgaaH = trembling in every limb; sarve cha = all of them; vikR^itaananaaH = had their faces set grimly.
All of them were lashing their tails feverishly, using their jaws and nails as weapons, trembling in every limb and had their faces set grimly.
dasha naaga balaah kecit kecid dasha guNa uttaraaH || 6-41-47
kecin naaga sahasrasya babhuuvus tulya vikramaaH |
47. kechit = some were; dashanaaga balaaH = having a strength of ten elephants; kachit; some were; dashaguNottaraaH = having a strength of ten times of that; kechit = some; babhuuvuH = were; tulya vikramaaH = equal to the strength of a thousand elephants.
Some were having the strength of ten elephants, some a ten times of that and some were equal to the strength of a thousand elephants.
santi ca oghaa balaah kecit kecit shata guNa uttaraaH || 6-41-48
aprameya balaash ca anye tatra aasan hari yuuthapaaH |
48. kechit = some were; oghabalaaH = having the strength of an ogha* of elephants; kechit = some; santi = were; dashaguNottaraaH = having strength; ten times to that; anye = some others; tatra = there; aasan = were; hari yuuthapaaH = chiefs of monkeys; aprameya balaashcha = having a strength; which was immeasurable.
Some were having the strength of an ogha* of elephants. Some were endowed with a strength of ten times to that. some others there were chiefs of monkeys, having an immeasurable strength.
*For the number represented by on ogha vide canto 28, Sarga 37.
adbhutash ca vicitrash ca teShaam aasiit samaagamaH || 6-41-49
tatra vaanara sainyaanaam shalabhaanaam iva udgamaH |
49. adbhutashcha = marvelous; vichitrashcha = and astonishing; aasiit = was; samaagamaH = the gathering; teSaam = of those; vaanara sainyaanaam = troops of monkeys; tatra = there; udgamaH iva = like aflight; shalabhaanaam = of locusts.
Marvellous and astonishing was the gathering of those troops of monkeys there, like a swarm of locusts.
patipuurNam iva aakaasham sa.nchannaa iva ca medinii || 6-41-50
lankaam upaniviShTaish ca sampatadbhish ca vaanaraiH |
50. vaanaraiH = by the monkeys; upaniviSTaiH = who reached; laNkaam = Lanka; sampatadbhishcha = and by those stationed already beneath its walls; aakaasham = the air; pratipuurNamiva = seems to be completely filled; mediniicha = the land also; sampuurNeva = seems to be entirely filled.
By the monkeys who reached Lanka and by those stationed already beneath its walls, the air and earth seem to be completely filled.
shatam shata sahasraaNaam pR^ithag R^ikSha vana okasaam || 6-41-51
lankaa dvaaraaNy upaajagmur anye yoddhum samantataH |
51. shatam = a hundred divisions; shatasahasraaNaam = of on lakh; R^ijSa vanaukasaam = bears and monkeys; pR^ithak = each; upaajagmuH = poured; laNkaadvaaraaNi = towards the gates of Lanka; (while) anye = others; (proceeded); yoddhum = to fight; samantataH = on every side.
A hundred divisions of one lakh each of bears and monkeys poured towards the gates of Lanka, while others proceeded to fight on every side.
aavR^itah sa girih sarvais taih samantaat plavam gamaiH || 6-41-52
ayutaanaam sahasram ca puriim taam abhyavartata |
52. saH giriH = that mountain; aavR^itaH = was covered; taiH = by those; plavaNgamaiH = monkeys; samantaat = on every side; sahasram aayutaanaam = A crore; abhyavartataH = ranged round; taam = that; puriim = city.
Those monkeys covered the mountain on every side. A crore of them ranged round that city.
vaanarair balavadbhish ca babhuuva druma paaNibhiH || 6-41-53
sarvatah samvR^itaa lankaa duShpraveshaa api vaayunaa |
53. vaayunaapi = even winds; babhuuva = were; duSpraveshaa = unable to enter; laN^kaa = in Lanka; savR^itaa = surrounded; sarvataH = on all sides; vaanaraiH = by monkeys; drumapaaNibhiH = holding tree trunks in their hands; balavadbhiH = being strong as they were.
Even winds were unable to penetrate Lanka being surrounded on all sides by heroic monkeys holding tree trunks in their hands.
raakShasaa vismayam jagmuh sahasaa abhinipiiDitaaH || 6-41-54
vaanarair megha samkaashaih shakra tulya paraakramaiH |
54. raakSasaaH = the demons; shakratulya paraakramaiH = who in their valour equaled indra the ruler of gods; abhinipiiDitaaH = (seeing themselves) beseized; vaanaraiH = by monkeys; meghasamkaashaiH = like clouds; jagmuH = were struck; sahasaa = with sudden; vismayam = terror.
The demons, who in their valour equaled Indra the ruler of gods, seeing themselves besieged, as by clouds, were struck with sudden terror.
mahaan shabdo abhavat tatra bala oghasya abhivartataH || 6-41-55
saagarasya iva bhinnasya yathaa syaat salila svanaH |
55. balaughasya = (while) the flock of troops; abhivartataH = was advancing; tatra = there; mahaan = a tremendous; shabdaH = clamour; abhavat = arose; yathaa = as; syaat = becomes of; salilasvanaH = a roar in the water; saagarasyena = of the ocen; bhinnasya = beating against its shore.
While the flock of monkey- troops was advancing there, a tremendous clamour arose, resembling a roar in the ocean beating against its shore.
tena shabdena mahataa sapraakaaraa satoraNaa || 6-41-56
lankaa pracalitaa sarvaa sashaila vana kaananaa |
56. mahataa tena shabdena = by that great tumult; sarvaa = the entire; laN^kaa = Lanka; sapraakaaraa = with its ramparts; satoraNaa = arches; sashaila vana kaananaa = hills woods and forests; prachalitaa = began to tremble.
By that great tumult, the entire Lanka with its ramparts arches, hills, woods and forests began to tremble.
raama lakShmaNa guptaa saa sugriiveNa ca vaahinii || 6-41-57
babhuuva durdharShataraa sarvair api sura asuraiH |
57. saa = that; harivaahinii = army of monkeys; raama lakSmaNa guptaa = guarded by Rama; Lakshmana; sugriiveNacha = and Sugreeva; babhuuva = became; durdharSataraa = even more inivincible; sarvaiH = than all; suraasurairapi = celestials and demons.
That army of monkeys, guarded by Rama, Lakshmana and Sugreeva became even more invinceible than all the celestials and demons put together.
raaghavah samniveshya evam sainyam svam rakShasaam vadhe || 6-41-58
sammantrya mantribhih saardham nishcitya ca punah punaH |
aanantaryam abhiprepsuh krama yoga artha tattvavit || 6-41-59
vibhiiShaNasya anumate raaja dharmam anusmaran |
angadam vaali tanayam samaahuuya idam abraviit || 6-41-60
58; 59; 60. samviveshya = having ranged; svam = his; sainyam = forces; evam = thus; (in the battle-array); vadhe = with a view to destruct; rakSasaam = the demons; raaghavaH = Rama; karma yogaartha tattva vit = who knew about four expedients (to be used against an enemy in the shape of conciliation; gift; sowing dissention and punishment) employed in succession; sammantrtray = took counsel; punaH punaH = again and again; mantribhiH saartham = with his counsellors; nishchitya = and arrived at a decision; anusmaran = calling to his mind; raja dharmam = the duty of the kings; samaahuuya = summoning; aN^gadam = Angada; vaalitanayam = the son of Vali; (Rama); aanantaryam abhipropsum = who was eager to undertake what was to be done next; animate = acting in concurrence with; vibhiiSaNasya = Vibhishana; abraviit = spoke; idam = these words.
Having thus ranged his forces, with a view to destroy the demons, Rama who knew about the four expedients (to be used against an enemy in the shape of conciliation, gift, sowing dissension and punishment) employed in succession, took counsel again and again with his ministers and arrived at a decision. Calling to his mind the duty of the kings, Rama who was eager to undertake what was to be done next, in concurrence with Vibhishana, summoned Angada the son of Vali and spoke as follows:
gatvaa saumya dashagriivam bruuhi mad vacanaat kape |
langhayitvaa puriim lankaam bhayam tyaktvaa gata vyathaH || 6-41-61
bhraShTa shriika gata aishvarya mumuurSho naShTa cetanaH |
61. saumya = O; gentle; kape = Angada!; laN^ghayitvaa = after passing; laNKaam purrim = the city of Lanka; tyaktvaa = abandoning; bhayam = fear; gata vyathaH = free from anxiety; gatvaa = and approaching; dashagriivam = Ravana; bhraSTa shriikam = the unfortunate demon; gataishvaryam = devoid of sovereignity; mumuurSanaSTa chetasam = who lost splendour because of his desire for death; bruuhi = tell (him); madvachanaat = as my words.
"Go my gentle Angada on my behalf and, passing thought the city of Lanka without fear and anxiety and Lanka without fear and anxiety and approaching Ravana - the unfortunate demon devoid of sovereignty and who has lost his splendour because of his inclination to die - admonish him in the following words:"
R^iShiiNaam devataanaam ca gandharva apsarasaam tathaa || 6-41-62
naagaanaam atha yakShaaNaam raajnaam ca rajanii cara |
yac ca paapam kR^itam mohaad avaliptena raakShasa || 6-41-63
nuunam adya gato darpah svayambhuu vara daanajaH |
tasya daNDa dharas te aham daara aaharaNa karshitaH || 6-41-64
62; 63; 63. rajaniichara = O; Ravana the ranger of the night!; yat = which; paapam = sin; kR^itam = was performed; avaliptena = by you the arrogant; mohaat = and the ignorant one; R^iSiiNaam = to sages; devataanaam = to celestials; tathaa = an; gandharvaapsarasaam = to the celestial musicians and their wives; naagaaanaam = to the serpent- demons; atha = and; yakSaaNaam = to yakshas the semidivine beings; raajJNaamcha = and to the kings; tasya = that; paapasya = sin's; duraasadaa = unparalleled; vyuSTiH = consequence; sampraaptaa = has come; adye = now; te = your; darpaH = arrogance; svayambhuuvaradaanajaH = born out of the boon granted to you by Brahma the god of creation; vigataH = has gone (will go).
"O, Ravana the Ranger of the Night! In your reckless arrogance, sages, celestials, celestial musicians and their wives, serpent - demons, yakshas the semi-divine beings and kings have been oppressed by you. From now on, that arrogance, born of the boon you received from Brahma the Lord of creation, shall be subdued."
tasya daNDadharaste.aham daaraaharaNakarshitaH |
daNDam dhaarayamaaNas tu lankaa dvare vyavasthitaH || 6-41-65
65. aham = I; daaraaharaNa karshitaH = having been hurt because of taking away of my wife; daN^DadharaH = have become a punisher; te = to you; tasya = on that account; dhaarayamaaNaH = wielding; daN^Dam = as rod of chastisement; vyavasthitaH = I am stationed; laNkaa dvaare = at the gate of Lanka.
"I shall inflict a fitting penalty for your ruthless abduction of my consort. I am stationed myself at the gate of Lanka, with a Rod of chastisement."
padaviim devataanaam ca maharShiiNaam ca raakShasa |
raajarShiiNaam ca sarveNaam gamiShyasi mayaa hataH || 6-41-66
66. raakSasa = O; demon!; hataH = Slain; mayaa = by me; gamiSyasi = you will ontain; padaviim = the path (death); devataanaam cha = of the Gods; maharSiiNaam cha = great sages; sarveSaam = and all; raajarSiiNaam cha = the royal sages.
"O, demon! Slain by me, you will attain the region of Gods, of all the great sages and all the royal sages."
balena yena vai siitaam maayayaa raakShasa adhama |
maam atikraamayitvaa tvam hR^itavaa.ns tad vidarshaya || 6-41-67
67. raakSasaadhama = O; the worst demon!; nidarshaya = Demonstrate; tat = that; balena = courage; maayayaa = and magic; yena = by which; tvam = you; atikraamayitvaa = have distanced; siitaam = Seetha; maam = from me; hR^itavaan = and stolen (her).
"O, the worst demon! Demonstrate the same courage and magic that you did employ in bearing Seetha away from me."
araakShasam imam lokam kartaa asmi nishitaih sharaiH |
na cet sharaNam abhyeShi maam upaadaaya maithiliim || 6-41-68
68. na abhyeSi yadi = If you do not make an appeal; sharaNam = to my clemency; aadaaya = by returning; tat = that; maithiliim = Seetha; karmaasmi = I shall make; imam = this; lokam = world; araakSasam = devoid of demons.
"If you do not make an appeal to my clemency by returning Seetha, I shall make this world devoid of all demons."
dharma aatmaa rakShasaam shreShThah sampraapto ayam vibhiiShaNaH |
lankaa aishvaryam dhruvam shriimaan ayam praapnoty akaNTakam || 6-41-69
69. ayam vibhiiSaNaH = this Vibhishana; dharmaatmaa = the pious minded; raakSasa shreSThaH = and the foremost of demons; sampraaptaH = has come to me; dhruvam = Surely; shriimaan = this illustrious demon; praaproti = will obtain; idam = this; laN^kaishvaryam = kingdom of Lanka; akaN^Takam = free from troubles.
"This pious minded Vibhishana, the foremost of demons has come to me. Surely, this illustrious demon will obtain the kingdom of Lanka, which will henceforth be free from troubles."
na hi raajyam adharmeNa bhoktum kShaNam api tvayaa |
shakyam muurkha sahaayena paapena avijita aatmanaa || 6-41-70
70. tvayaa = by you; muurkha sahaayena = having stupid followers; paapena = a sinful demon; aviditaatmanaa = without a knowledge of the self; na shakyam hi = can not indeed; bhoktum = enjoy; raajyam = the kingdom; kSaNampi = even for a moment; adharmeNa = by this unrightousness.
"You, without a knowledge of the self and a sinful demon having stupid followers around you, cannot indeed enjoy the kingdom even for a moment, by this unrighteousness."
yudhyasva vaa dhR^itim kR^itvaa shauryam aalambya raakShasa |
mat sharais tvam raNe shaantas tatah puuto bhaviShyasi || 6-41-71
71. raakSasa = O; demon!; vaa = otherwise; yudhyasva = get ready for a battle; kR^itvaa = by gathering; dhR^itim = courage; aalambya = and laying hold of; shauryam = your valour; shaantaH = having been slain; machharaiH = by my arrows; raNe = in combat; bhaviSyasi = you will be laid; shaantaH = in peace.
"O, demon! Otherwise, get ready for a battle, by gathering courage and laying hold of your valour. Having been slain by my arrows in combat, you will be laid in peace.
yadyaavishasi lokaa.ns triin pakShi bhuuto mano javaH |
mama cakShuSh patham praapya na jiivan pratiyaasyasi || 6-41-72
72. nishaachara = O; Ranger of the Night!; bhuutvaa = (Even if) you become; pakSii = a bird; aavishasi = and enter; triin = the three; lokaan = world's; na pratiyaasyasi = you will not return; jiivan = alive; praapya = when you come into; mama = my; chakSuH patham = range of sight.
"O, Ranger of the Night! Even if you range the three worlds in the forms of a bird, you will not return alive, when you come into my range of sight."
braviimi tvaam hitam vaakyam kriyataam aurdhvadekikam |
sudR^iShTaa kriyataam lankaa jiivitam te mayi sthitam || 6-41-73
73. braviim = I am telling; vaakyam = the words; hitam = beneficial; tvaam = to you; kriyataam = be obliged; surd^iSTaa = to be seen well (by you); (as) te jiivitam = your survival; sthitam = is dependent; mayi = on me.
"I give you this salutary counsel prepare for your obsequies. Let Lanka be obliged to be seen well by you (like your last sight), as your survival is in my hands."
ity uktah sa tu taareyo raameNa akliShTa karmaNaa |
jagaama aakaasham aavishya muurtimaan iva havya vaaT || 6-41-74
74. uktaH = spoken; iti = thus; raameNa = by Rama; akliSTa karmaNaa = who was unwearied inaction; taareyaH = Angada the son of Tara; aavishya = entered; aakaasham- the air; havyavaaTiva = like a god of fire; muurtimaan = personified; jagaama = and proceeded ahead.
Hearing the words of Rama, who was unwearied in action, Angada the son of Tara, leapt into air like a god of fire personified and marched ahead.
so atipatya muhuurtena shriimaan raavaNa mandiram |
dadarsha aasiinam avyagram raavaNam sacivaih saha || 6-41-75
75. atipatya = reaching; raavaNa mandiram = Ravana's palace; muhuurtena = within a moment; shriimaan = the illustrious; saH = Angada; dadarsha = saw; raavaNam = Ravana; aasiinam = seated; avyagram = coolly; sachivaiH saha = along with his ministers.
Reaching Ravana's palace in an instant, the illustrious Angada saw Ravana, seated coolly along with his ministers.
tatas tasya aviduureNa nipatya hari pumgavaH |
diipta agni sadR^ishas tasthaav angadah kanaka angadaH || 6-41-76
76. tataH = thereafter; aN^gadaH = Angada; haripuNgavaH = the foremost of the monkeys; kanakaaN^gadaH = wearing golden bracelets; nipatya = descended; aduureNa = close; tasya = to the king; tasthau = and stood; diipaagni; sadR^ishaH = like a flaming torch.
Angada, the foremost of the monkeys, wearing golden bracelets, descended close to the king and stood there like a flaming torch.
tad raama vacanam sarvam anyuuna adhikam uttamam |
saamaatyam shraavayaam aasa nivedya aatmaanam aatmanaa || 6-41-77
77. nivedya aatmaanam aatmanaa = haing made himself known; (Angada); shravayaamaasaa = caused to be communicated; tat = that; sarvam = whole; uttamam = of excellent; raama vachanam = speech of Rama; anyuunaadhikam = without adding or subtracting anything; saamaatyam = to Ravana in the presence of his ministers (a follows):
Having made himself known, Angada communicated, that whole of the excellent speech of Rama without adding or subtracting anything to Ravana in the presence of Ravana's ministers, saying:
duuto aham kosala indrasya raamasya akliShTa karmaNaH |
vaali putro angado naama yadi te shrotram aagataH || 6-41-78
78. aham = I; vaaliputraH = am the son of Vali; aNgado naama = called Angada; duutaH = the messenger; koshalendrasya = of the king of Koshala; raamasya = Rama; akliSTa karmaNaH = of imperishable = exploits; aagataH yadi = (has my name) ever reached; te = your; shrotram = ear?
"I am the son of Vali, Angada by name. I have come as a messenger for the king of Koshala, Rama of imperishable exploits. Has my name ever reached your ears?"
aaha tvaam raaghavo raamah kausalya aananda vardhanaH |
niShpatya pratiyudhyasva nR^isha.nsam puruSha adhama || 6-41-79
79. raamaH = Rama; Kausalya nandaardhanaH = who augments the joy of Kausalya; raaghavaH = and the one born in Raghu dynasty; aha = speaks (thus); tvaam = to you; nR^ishamsa = O; ruthless demon!; niSpatya = come forth; yudhyasva = and enter into combat; bhava = prove; puruSaH = to be the representative of your race.
"Rama who is born in Raghu dynasty and who augements the joy of Kausalya speaks thus to you, �O, ruthless demon! Come forth and enter into combat. Prove to be the representative of your race!' "
hantaa asmi tvaam saha amaatyam saputra jnaati baandhavam |
nirudvignaas trayo lokaa bhaviShyanti hate tvayi || 6-41-80
80. hantaasmi = I shall kill tvaam = you; sahaamaatyam = along with your ministers; saputra jJNaati baandhavaH = sons; cousins and relatives; tvam = you; hate = being dead; trayaH = the three; lokaah = worlds; bhaviSyanti = will be; nirudvignaaH = rid of fear.
" �I shall kill you along with your ministers, sons, cousins and other relatives. You being dead, all the three worlds will be rid of fear.'"
deva daanava yakShaaNaam gandharva uraga rakShasaam |
shatrum adya uddhariShyaami tvaam R^iShiiNaam ca kaNTakam || 6-41-81
81. adya = now; uddhariSyaami = I shall uproot out; tvam = you; kaN^Takamcha = who are a thorn; R^iSiiNaam = to sages; shatrum = and enemy; deva daanava yakSaaNaam = to celestials; demons; semi-divine beings; gandharvoraga rakSasaam = celestial musicians; serpent-gods and ogres.
" �Now, I shall uproot you, a thorn to sages and an enemy to celestials, demons, semi-divine beings, celestial musicians, serpent-gods and ogres'."
vibhiiShaNasya ca aishvaryam bhaviShyati hate tvayi |
na cet satkR^itya vaidehiim praNipatya pradaasyasi || 6-41-82
82. na pradaasyasi chet = If you do not restore; vaidehiim = Seetha; satkR^itya = honourably; praNipatya = by bowing respectfully before me; tvayi = you; hate = ae slain; aishvaryam = and the kingdom; bhaviSyati = will belong; vibhiiSaNasya = to Vibhishana.
"If you do not restore Seetha honourably, by bowing respectfully before me, you are slain and Vibhishana will become the king.'"
ity evam paruSham vaakyam bruvaaNe hari pumgave |
amarSha vasham aapanno nishaa cara gaNa iishvaraH || 6-41-83
83. hari puN^gave = (While) the lion among monkeys; Angada; bruvaaNe = was speaking; ityevam = thus; paruSam = in harsh; vaakyam = words; nishaacharagaNeshvaraH = Ravana the Lord of the demon-tribe; aapannaH = prevailed; amarSa vasham = on the influence of anger.
Hearing these harsh words from Angada the lion among the monkeys, Ravana the Lord of the demon-tribe was infuriated.
tataH sa roSha taamra akShah shashaasa sacivaa.ns tadaa |
gR^ihyataam eSha durmedhaa vadhyataam iti ca asakR^it || 6-41-84
84. tataH = thereafter; saH = Ravana; aapannaH = who obtained; roSam = wrath; tadaa = then; asakR^it = respeatedly; shasaasa = commanded; sachivaan = his attendants; iti = thus; durmedhaaH = (Let) this stupid monkey; gR^ihyataam = be seized; vadhyataam = and killed.
Then, the enraged Ravana repeatedly commanded his attendants, saying: "Let this stupid monkey be seized and put to death."
raavaNasya vacah shrutvaa diipta agni sama tejasaH |
jagR^ihus tam tato ghoraash catvaaro rajanii caraaH || 6-41-85
85. tataH = then; shrutvaa = hearing; raavaNasya = Ravana's vachaH = words; chatvaaraH = four; ghoraaH = terrible; rajaniicharaah = demons; jagR^ihuH = seized; tam = Angada; tejasaa = who; in his splendour; diiptaagnimiva = resembled a blazing torch.
Hearing Ravana's words, four terrible demons seized Angada who, in his splendour, resembled a blazing torch.
graahayaam aasa taareyah svayam aatmaanam aatmanaa |
balam darshayitum viiro yaatu dhaana gaNe tadaa || 6-41-86
86. tadaa = then; taareyaH = Angada the son of Tara; aatmavaan = the prudent; viiraH = and the heroic monkey; svayam = voluntarily; graahayaamaasa aatmaanaam = allowed himself to be seized; darshayitum = to display; balam = his prowess; yaatudhaanagaNe = before the host of demons.
Then, the prudent and heroic Angada the son of Tara voluntarily allowed himself to be seized, in order to display his prowess before the host of demons.
sa taan baahu dvaye saktaan aadaaya patagaan iva |
praasaadam shaila samkaasham utpaapaata angadas tadaa || 6-41-87
87. tadaa = then; aadaaya = seizing; patagaaniva = like unto birds; taan = those attendants; baahudvayaa = saktaan = entangled in both of his arms; utpapaata = he leapt on; praasaadam = to the palace; shaila sankaasham = that resembled like a mountain.
Then, seizing like unto birds those attendants clung to his arms, Angada leapt on to the palace that resembled like a mountain.
tesyotpatanavegena nirdhuutaastatra raakShasaaH |
bhumau nipatitaah sarve raakShasa indrasya pashyataH || 6-41-88
88. sarve = all those four; raakSasaaH = demons; nirdhuutaaH = were shaken out; tasya = by Angada's utpatana vegena = impetuous leap; nipatitaaH = and they fell; bhuumau = on the ground; tatra = there; pashyataH = under the eyes; raakSasendrasya = of the king of demons.
All those four demons were shaken out by Angada's impetuous leap and fell on the ground there under the eyes of their king.
tataH praasaada shikharam shaila shR^ingam iva unnatam |
tat paphaala tadaa aakraantam dashagriivasya pashyataH || 6-41-89
89. tataH = thereafter; prataapavaan = the glorious; vaali putraH = Angada the son of Vali; chakraama = ascended; praasaada shikharam = the roof of the palace; raakSasendrsya = of Ravana; shailashR^igamiva = which equaled the summit of a mountain; unnatam = in height.
Thereafter, the glorious Angada the son of Vali ascended the roof of Ravana's palace, which equaled the summit of a mountain in height.
paphaala cha tadaakraantaM dashagriivasya pashyataH |
puraa himavataH shR^iN^gaM vajreNeva vidaaritam 6-41-90
90. tadaakraantam = that roof of the palace; trampled by Angada; paphaalacha = crumbled; himaataH shR^iN^gamiva = as a peak of Himalayan range; vidaaritam = was shattered; puraa = long ago; vajreNa = by lightening; dashagriivasya = before Ravana's pashyatah = gaze.
That roof of the palace, trampled by Angada, crumbled - as a peak of Himalayan range was shattered long ago by lightening - before Ravana's gaze.
bhanktvaa praasaada shikharam naama vishraavya ca aatmanaH |
vinadya sumahaa naadam utpapaata vihaayasaa || 6-41-91
91. bhaNKtvaa = after destroying; prasaada shikharam = the roof of the palace; naama vishraavyacha aatmanaH = proclaiming his name; vinadya = roaring; sumahaa naadam = with a very great noise; utpapaata = rose; vihaayasaa = into the air.
After destroying the roof of the palace, Angada proclaimed his name and with a triumphant roar, rose into the air.
vyathayan raakShasaan sarvaan harShaya.nshchaapi vaanaraan |
sa vaanaraaNaaM madhye tu raamapaarshvamupaagataH 6-41-92
92. vyathayan = causing restlessness; sarvaan = to all; raakSasaan = the demons; harSayam shchaapi = but delight; vaanaraaNaam = to the monkeys; (Angada); upaagataH = approached; raama paarshvam = close to Rama; madhye = in the middle; vaanaraaNaam = of the monkeys.
Causing restlessness to all the demons but delight to the monkeys, Angada approached close to Rama, who was stationed in the middle of the monkey-forces.
raavaNas tu param cakre krodham praasaada dharShaNaat |
vinaasham ca aatmanah pashyan nihshvaasa paramo abhavat || 6-41-93
93. praasaada dharSaNaat = because of the destruction of the palace; raavaNastu = Ravana on his part; chakre = got; param = extreme; krodham = anger; pashyan = foreseeing; aatmaanaH = his own; vinaasham = destruction; abhavat = he became; niH shvaasa paramaH = a desponded demon.
Because of the destruction of his palace, Ravana on his part got extremely angry. Foreseeing his own destruction, he became a desponded demon.
raamas tu bahubhir hR^iShTair ninadadbhih plavam gamaiH |
vR^ito ripu vadha aakaankShii yuddhaaya eva abhyavartata || 6-41-94
94. vR^itaH = surrounded; bahubhiH plavaNgamaiH = by many monkeys; vinadadbhiH = roaring; hR^iSTaiH = with delight; raamastu = Rama on his part; abhivartata = was proceeding ahead; yuddhaayaiva = for the battle already; ripuvadhaa kaaN^kSii = with an intent to wipe out the enemy.
Surrounded by many monkeys, roaring with delight, Rama on his part was proceeding ahead already for the battle, with an intent to wipe out the enemy.
suSheNas tu mahaa viiryo giri kuuTa upamo hariH |
bahubhih samvR^itas tatra vaanaraih kaama ruupibhiH || 6-41-95
95. suSeNastu = now Sushena; mahaaviiryaH = the most valiant; hariH = girikuuTopamaH = was like the head of the mountain; tatra = there; bahubhiH = samvR^itaH = surrounded by; innumerable; vaanaraiH = monkeys; kaamaruupibhiH = who were able to change their form at will.
Now, Sushena the highly valiant monkey, was stationed there like the head of the mountain surrounded by innumerable monkeys, who were bale to change their form at will.
sa tu dvaaraaNi sarvaaNi sugriiva vacanaat kapiH |
paryaakramata durdharSho nakShatraaNi iva candramaaH || 6-41-96
96. Sugreeva vachanaat = under the order of Sugreeva; saH kapiH = that monkey; durdharSaH = the invincible; samyamya = was patrolling; dvaaraaNi = the gates; paryakraamata = and wandering; nakSatraaNiva = like among stars; chandramaaH = the moon.
Under the order of Sugreeva, the invincible monkey, Sushena was patrolling the gates and wandering like a moon among the stars.
teShaam akShauhiNi shatam samavekShya vana okasaam |
lankaam upaniviShTaanaam saagaram ca ativartataam || 6-41-97
raakShasaa vismayam jagmus traasam jagmus tathaa apare |
apare samara uddharShaadd harSham eva upapedire || 6-41-98
97; 98. samavekSya = seeing; akSauhiNi shatam = hundreds of divisions; teSaam = of those; vanaukasaam = monkeys; abhivartataam = encamped; laN^kaam upaniviSTaanaam = under the walls of Lanksa; saagaram cha = (marshaled on the shores) of the sea; raakSasaaH = the demons; jagmuH = got; vismayam = amazed; tathaa = and; apare = some others; jagmuH = got; tathaa = and; apare = some others; jagmuH = got; taasam = terror-struck; apare = (while) others; traasam = terror-struck; apare = (While) others; harSaat = overjoyed; samara = at the prospect of fighting; upapedire = leapt; harSameva = even in exultation.
Seeing hundreds of divisions of those monkeys encamped under the walls of Lanka, marshaled on the shores of the sea, the demons were amazed and some others were terror-struck while others, overjoyed at the prospect of fighting, leapt even in exultation.
kR^itsnam hi kapibhir vyaaptam praakaara parikha antaram |
dadR^ishuu raakShasaa diinaah praakaaram vaanarii kR^itam || 6-41-99
haahaakaaramakurvanta raakShasaa bhayamaagataaH |
99. diinaH = the miserable; rakSasaaH = demons; dadR^ishuH = saw; kR^itsnam = the entire; vyaaptam = extensive; praakaara parikhaantaram = space between the walls and the moat; vaanariikR^itam = being occupied by the monkeys; praakaaram = like under unto a second rampart; raakSasaaH = the demons; aagataH = got; bhayam = a panic; akurvanta = and cried out; haahaakaaram = "woe! Alas!"
Those miserable demons saw the entire extensive space between the walls and the moat being occupied by the monkeys, like unto a second rampart. The demons cried out, "Woe! Alas!" in panic.
tasmin mahaa bhiiShaNake pravR^itte |
kolaahale raakShasa raajadhaanyaam |
pragR^ihya rakShaa.nsi mahaa aayudhaani |
yuga anta vaataa;iva samviceruh || 6-41-100
100. pravR^itte = as a result; tasmin = of that; mahaa bhiiSaNake = appalling; kolaahale = tumult; raakSasa raajadhaanyaam = in the capital city of demons; rakSaamsi = the demons; pragR^ihya = seized hold of; mahaayudhaani = their great weapons; samvicheruH = and sallied forth; yugaantaa raataaH iva = like the winds that blow at the dissolution of the worlds.
As a result of that appalling tumult in the capital city of the demons, the soldiers of Ravana seized hold of their great weapons and sallied forth like the winds that blow at the dissolution of the worlds.
- - - -
ityaarShe shriimadraamaayaNe aadikaavye yuddhakaaNDe ekachatvaariMshaH sargaH
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© March 2005, K. M. K. Murthy