Rama, Sugreeva, Hanuman and others assemble to take counsel together, upon reaching the precinets of Lanks. While they were delibrating on the ways and means for the success of their mission, Vibhishana informs that he has sent his counsellors as spies to gather information about the enemy's plans and that they returned after gathering the required news about Ravana's arrangements at the four gates of theity. After hearing Vibhishana's information, Rama orders Nila, Angada Hanuman and others to storm the four gates and decides to stay on Suvela mountain with his army.
nara vānara rājau tau sa ca vāyu sutaḥ kapiḥ |
jāmbavān ṛkṣa rājasḥ ca rākṣasasḥ ca vibhīṣaṇaḥ || 6-37-1
angado vāli putrasḥ ca saumitriḥ śarabhaḥ kapiḥ |
suṣeṇaḥ saha dāyādo maindo dvivida;eva ca || 6-37-2
gajo gava akṣo kumudo nalo atha panasas tathā |
amitra viṣayam prāptāḥ samavetāḥ samarthayan || 6-37-3
1; 2; 3. (Meanwhile); naravaanara raajanau = Rama; the king of men and Sugreeva the sovereign of monkeys; saH kapiH = that Hanuman; vaayusutaH = the son of the wind; jaambavaan = Jambavan; R^ikSaraajaH = the king of the bears; vibhiiSaNaH = Vibhishana; raakSasaH = the demon; aN^gadaH = Angada; vaaliputraH = the son of Vali; saumitriH = lakshmana; sharabhaH kapiH = the Ape Sharabha; suSeNaH = Sushena; saha daayadaH = along with his kin's folk; maindaH = Mainda; dvivida evacha = Dvivida; gajaH = Gaja; atha = and; gavaakSaH = Gavaksha; kumudaH = Kumuda; tathaa = and; nalaH = Nala; atha = and; panasaH = Panasa; praaptaaH = (all) having reached; anitraviSayam = the enemy's territory; samavetaaH = assembled; samarthayan = for deliberation.
Meanwhile, Rama the king of men and Sugreeva the Sovereign of monkeys, Hanuman the son of the wind, Jambavan the king of the Bears, Vibhishana the demon, Angada the son of Vali, Lakshmana, Sushena along with his kinsfolk, Mainda, Dvivida, Gaja, Gavaksha, Kumuda, Nala and Panasa, all having reached the enemy's territory, assembled to take counsel together.
iyam sā lakṣyate lankā purī rāvaṇa pālitā |
sāsura uraga gandharvair amarair api durjayā || 6-37-4
4. lakshhate = observe; iyam = this; saa = that very; laN^kaapurii = City of Lanka; raavaNapaalitaa = ruled by Ravana; durjayaa = impregnable; amarairapi = even to celestials; saasuraH = and the demons together; uraga gandharvaiH = or the uragas (the serpant-demons) and Gandharvas (Celestials musicians)
"Observe this city of Lanka, ruled by Ravana, impregnable both to celestials and the demons together, or the uragas (the serpent-demons) and Gandharvas (celestial musicians)."
kārya siddhim puras kRtya mantrayadhvam vinirṇaye |
nityam samnihito hy atra rāvaṇo rākṣasa adhipaḥ || 6-37-5
5. raavaNaH = Ravana; raakSasaadhipaH = the Lord of Demons; nityam = always; samnihitaH hi = indeed stays; atra = there; mantrayadhvam = think; vinirNaye = of determining our duty; puraskR^itya = with regard to; kaarya siddhim = the success of our expedition.
"Ravana, the lord of demons always stays in the City. Think of the ways and means for the success of our expedition."
tathā teṣu bruvāṇeṣu rāvaṇa avarajo abravīt |
vākyam agrāmya padavat puṣkala artham vibhīṣaṇaḥ || 6-37-6
6. atha = then; (while); teSu = they; bruvaaNeSu = were talking thus; vibhiiSaNaH = Vibhishana; raavaNaavarajaH = the younger brother of Ravana; abraviit = spoke; (the following); puSkalaartham = meaningful; agraamyapadavat = and polished; vaakyam = words.
While they were talking thus, Vibhishana the younger brother of Ravana spoke the following meaningful and polished words:
analaḥ śarabhasḥ caiva sampātiḥ praghasas tathā |
gatvā lankām mama amātyāḥ purīm punar iha āgatāḥ || 6-37-7
7. mama = My; amatyaaH = counsellors; (named) analaH = Anala; panasashchaiva = and Panasa; sampaatiH = Sampati; tathaa = and; pramatiH = Pramati; gataa = went; laN^kaampuriim = to the City of Lanka; punaH aagataaaH = and returned; iha = here.
"My counsellors named Anala, Panasa, Sampati and Pramati went to the City of Lanka and returned here."
bhūtvā śakunayaḥ sarve praviṣṭāsḥ ca ripor balam |
vidhānam vihitam yac ca tad dRṣṭvā samupasthitāḥ || 6-37-8
8. bhuutvaa = by transforming into; shakunayaH = birds; sarve = all of them; praviSTaaH = entered; rupoH = the enemy's balam = army; samupasthitaaH = (they) came; dR^iSTvaa = after observing; yat = which; tat = that; vidhaanam = arrangement; vihitam = was done.
"Assuming the form of birds, all the four entered that enemy's citadel and observed the measures taken by Ravana closely."
samvidhānam yathā āhus te rāvaṇasya durātmanaḥ |
rāma tad bruvataḥ sarvam yathātathyena me śṛṇu || 6-37-9
9. raama = O; Rama! shruNu = hear; me = from me; bruvataH = telling; sarvam = all; yathaatathyena = the exact position; yathaa = as; te = they; aahuH = informed; samvidhaanam = about the arrangement; raavaNasya = of Ravana; duraatmanaH = the evil-minded.
"O, Rama! I give a detailed report as it was given to me of the defence-arrangements made by tha evil-minded Ravana, hear me."
pūrvam prahastaḥ sabalo dvāram āsādya tiṣṭhati |
dakṣiṇam ca mahā vīryau mahā pārśva mahā udarau || 6-37-10
10. prahastaH = Prahasta; prabalaH = of great strenght; tiSThati = is standing; aasaadya = accussed; puurvam dvaaram = to the eastern gate; mahaa paarshva mahodarau = Mahaparshva and Mahodara; mahaaviiryau = of mighty prowess; ( are at); dakSiNamcha = the southern gate.
"The very strong Prashata is standing near the eastern gate. Mahaparshva and Mahodara of mighty prowess are at the southern gate."
indrajit paścima dvāram rākṣasair bahubhir vṛtaḥ |
paṭṭasa asi dhanuṣmadbhiḥ śūla mudgara pāṇibhiḥ || 6-37-11
nānā praharaṇaiḥ śūrair āvṛto rāvaṇa ātmajaḥ |
11. indrajit = Indrajit; raavaNaatmajaH = the son of Ravana; vR^itaH = along with; bahubhiH = many; raakSasaiH = demons; pattishaasidhanuSmadbhiH = harpoon; swords; bows; shuula mudgaraH = spears and hammers; aavR^itaH = and along with; bhuuraiH = warriors; naanaapraharaNaiH = furnished with weapons of many kinds; pashchimam dvaaram = is at the western gate.
"Indragit, the son of Ravana is at the western gate along with many demons armed with harpoons, swords, bows, spears and hammers together with warriors furnished with weapons of various kinds."
rākṣasānām sahasrais tu bahubhiḥ śastra pāṇibhiḥ || 6-37-12
yuktaḥ parama samvigno rākṣasair bahubhir vRtaḥ |
uttaram nagara dvāram rāvaṇaḥ svayam āsthitaḥ || 6-37-13
12; 13. paramasamvigraH = a prey to great anxiety; raavaNaH = Ravana; mantravit = knower of magical formulas; svayam = is himself; aasthitaH = stationed; uttaram nagaradvaaram = at the northern gate; yuktaH = along with; raakSasaiH = thousands; shatra paaNibhiH = holding lances in their hand.
"A prey to great anxiety, Ravana knower of magical formulas, is himself stationed at the northern gate, along with several thousands of demons holding lances in their hand."
virūpa akṣas tu mahatā śūla khaḍga dhanuṣmatā |
balena rākṣasaiḥ sārdham madhyamam gulmam āsthitaḥ || 6-37-14
14. viruupakSastu = as for virupaksha; mahataa balena = with a nighty army; shuula khedga dhanuSmataa = armed with spears; clubs and bows; raakSasaiH saardham = along with demons; aashritaH = occupies; madhyamam gulamam = the center of the fort.
"As for Virupaksha he with mighty army carrying spears, clubs and bows along with other demons, occupies the center of the fort."
etān evam vidhān gulmāml lankāyām samudīkṣya te |
māmakāḥ sacivāḥ sarve śīghram punar iha āgatāḥ || 6-37-15
15. sarve = all; te mantriNaH = those counsellors; maamakaraH = of mine; samudiikSya = observed; etaan = these; gulmaan = arranged in this manner; laN^kaayaam = in Lanka; punaH aagataaH = and returned; iha = here; shiighram = quickly.
"All these counsellors of mine watched those groups of troops arranged in Lanka in this manner and immediately returned here."
gajānām ca sahasram ca rathānām ayutam pure |
hayānām ayute dve ca sāgra koṭī ca rakṣasām || 6-37-16
vikrāntā balavantasḥ ca samyugeṣv ātatāyinaḥ |
iṣṭā rākṣasa rājasya nityam ete niśā carāḥ || 6-37-17
16; 17. dashasaahasaram = ten thousand; gajaanaam = elephants; tathaa = and; ayutam = ten thousand; ruthaanaam = chariots; dve ayutam = twenty thousand; hayaanaam = cavalry; saagraa = a little more than; koTishcha = crore; rakSasaam = foot soldiers; balavantashcha = who are strong; vikraantaaH = intrepid; aatataayinaH = in battle; nityam = have even been; raakSasa raajasya = of their sovereign's; iSTaaH = favourites.
"The elephants and chariots number some ten thousand each, the cavalry twenty thousand and there are more than a crore foot soldiers. These strong and intrepid demons endeavouring to kill someone in battle have ever been their sovereign's favourites."
eka ekasya atra yuddha arthe rākṣasasya viśām pate |
parivāraḥ sahasrāṇām sahasram upatiṣṭhate || 6-37-18
18. vishaampate = O; king! atra = in these demons; ekasya = for each; raakSasya = demon; parivaaraH = a retime; sahasraaNaam sahasram = of ten lacs; upatiSThate = is near at land.
"O, Rama! In these demons, a retinue of ten lacs each is near at hand for each demon."
etām pravṛttim lankāyām mantri proktam vibhīṣaṇaḥ |
rāmam kamala patra akṣam idam uttaram abravīt || 6-37-19
19. mahaabaahuH = the mighty-armed; vibhiiSaNaH = Vibhishana; aadarshayat = showed; taan = those; raakSasaan = demons (his counsellors); uktvaa = after speaking; itaam = this; pravR^ittim = news; laN^kaayaam = in Lanka; evam = thus; mantriproktaam = spoken by his counsellors.
The mighty armed Vibhishana showed those counsellors to Rama after reporting the aforesaid news pertaining to Lanka, thus informed by his counsellors.
laṅkāyām sacivaiḥ rāmāya pratyavedayat |
rāmaṃ kamalapatrākṣamidamuttaramabravīt || 6-37-20
rāvaṇāvarajaḥ śrīmān rāmapriyacikīrṣayā |
20. sachivaiH = the counsellors; pratyavedayat = confirmed; sarvam = all that was known; laN^kaayaam = regarding Lanks; (thereafter); shromaan = the illustrious; raavaNaavarajaH = Vibhishana raama priya chikiirSayaa = in his desire to please Rama; abraviit = addressed; kamalapatraakSam = that lotus-eyed; raamam = Rama; uttaram = further; idam = with these words.
The counsellors of Vibhishana themselves confirmed all that was known regarding Lanka. Thereafter, the illustrious Vibhishana, in his desire to please Rama, addressed that lotus-eyed one, further with the following words:
kuberam tu yadā rāma rāvaṇaḥ pratyayudhyata || 6-37-21
ṣaṣṭiḥ śata sahasrāṇi tadā niryānti rākṣasāḥ |
parākrameṇa vīryeṇa tejasā sattva gauravāt || 6-37-22
sadṛśā yo atra darpeṇa rāvaṇasya durātmanaḥ |
21; 22. raama = O; Rama!; yadaa = when; raavaNaH = Ravana; kuberam pratyayudhyata = attacked Kubera in battle; SaSTiH = sixty shatasahasraaaNi = lacs of raakSasaam = demons; niryaanti = sallied forth; tadaa = then(with him); sadR^ishaa = (all of them) were similar; raavaNasya = to Ravana; duraatmanaH = the evil minded; paraakramaNa = in prowess; viiryeNa = in strength; tejasaa = in splendour; stattvagouravaat = because of angmented courage; darpNa = and a pride; atra = there.
"O, Rama! When Ravana attacked Kubera in battle, sixty lacs of demons sallied forth with him. All of them were akin to the evil-minded Ravana in prowess, in strength, in courage and in pride."
atra manyur na kartavyo roṣaye tvām na bhīṣaye || 6-37-23
samartho hy asi vīryeṇa surāṇām api nigrahe |
23. manyuH = Indignation; na kartavyaH = is not required; atra = in this matter; tvaam roSaye = I am making you irritated; na bhiiSaye = and not terrifying; asihi = you are indeed; samarthaH = capable; nigrahe.api = of even overpowering; suraaNaam = the celestials; viiryeNa = by your valour.
"Indignation need not be resorted to (by you) based on this report. I am not terrifying you, bt only arousing your wrath. You are indeed capable of overpowering even celestials by your valour."
tad bhavāṃsḥ catur angeṇa balena mahatā vṛtaḥ || 6-37-24
vyūhya idam vānara anīkam nirmathiṣyasi rāvaṇam |
24. tat = for this reason; vyuuhya vaanaraaniikam = having set out these monkey forces in battle-array; bhavam = you; nirmathiSyati = shall destroy; raavaNam = Ravana; idam = (with) this; vaanaraaniikam = army of monkeys; charaNgeNa balena = composed of four division; vR^itam = which surround you.
"Having set out these monkey-forces in battle-array, you shall destryoy Ravana with this great army of monkeys, composed of four divisions, which surround you."
rāvaṇa avaraje vākyam evam bruvati rāghavaḥ || 6-37-25
śatrūṇām pratighāta artham idam vacanam abravīt |
25. raavaNaavaraje = Vibhishana; bruvatisati = having spoken; vaakyam = words; evam = thus; raaghavaH = Rama; abraviit = gave; idam = the following; vachanam = orders; pratighaataartham = for the attack; shatruuNaam = of the adversaries.
Vibhishana having spoken thus Rama gave the following orders for the attack of the adversaries.
pūrva dvāre tu lankāyā nīlo vānara pumgavaḥ || 6-37-26
prahastam pratiyoddhā syād vānarair bahubhir vṛtaḥ |
26. puurva dvaare = at the eastern gate; laN^kaayaaH = of Lanka; niilaH = Nila; vaanarapuNgavaH = that lion among monkeys; syaat = for his part; vR^itaH = surrounded; bahubhiH = by many; vaanaraiH = monkeys; prahasta pratiyoddhaa = should attack Prahasta.
"At the eastern gate of Lanka, Nila that lion among monkeys for his part, surrounded by many monkeys, should attack Prahasta."
angado vāli putras tu balena mahatā vṛtaḥ || 6-37-27
dakṣiṇe bādhatām dvāre mahā pārśva mahā udarau |
27. dakSiNa dvaare = At the southern gate; aNgadaH = Angada; vaaliputraH = the son of Vali; vR^itaH = surrounded; mahataa = by his mighty; balena = army; baadhataam = should oppose; mahaapaarshva mahodarau = Mahaparshva and Mahodara.
"At the southern gate, Angada the son of Vali, surrounded by his mighty army, should oppose Mahaparshva and Mahodara."
hanūmān paścima dvāram nipīḍya pavana ātmajaḥ || 6-37-28
praviśatv aprameya ātmā bahubhiḥ kapibhir vṛtaḥ |
28. (Let); hanumaan = Hanuman; pavanaatmajaH = the son of wind; aprameyaatmaa = (and) of inscrutable spirit; vR^itaH = surrounded; bahubhiH = by a multitude; kapibhiH = of monkeys; niSpiiDya = having crashed; pashchima dvaare = into the western gate; praveshitu = enter (the City)
"Let Hanuman that son of the Wind and of inscrutable spirit, surrounded by a multitude of monkeys, enter the City through the western gate."
daitya dānava samghānām ṛṣīṇām ca mahātmanām || 6-37-29
viprakāra priyaḥ kṣudro vara dāna bala anvitaḥ |
parikrāmati yaḥ sarvāml lokān samtāpayan prajāḥ || 6-37-30
tasya aham rākṣasa indrasya svayam eva vadhe dhṛtaḥ |
uttaram nagara dvāram aham saumitriṇā saha || 6-37-31
nipīḍya abhipravekṣyāmi sabalo yatra rāvaṇaḥ |
29; 30 ; 31. aham = I; svayameva = am myself; dhR^itaH = determined; vadhe = to slay; tasya = that; kSudraH = mean fellow; raakSasendrasya = Ravana; yaH = who; varadaan abalaanivitaH = owing to the boon he has received; viprakaara priyaH = enjoys oppressing; daitya daanavasanghaanaam = multitudes of Daityas (giants) and daanavas (demons); mahaat manaam = as also the magnanimous; R^iSiiNaam cha = sages; parikraamati = and who ranges; lokaan = the worlds; samtaapayan = persecnting; sarvaan = all; prajaaH = being; saumitreNa saha = with the aid of Lakshaman; aham = I; nipiiDya = shall forcibly; abhipravekSyaami = enter; uttaram nagara dvaaram = the northern gate; yatra; raavaNaH = where Ravana is there; sabalaH = along with the army.
I am myself determined to slay that wicked who owing to the boon he has received, enjoys oppressing multitudes of Daityas (gaints) and Daanavas (demons), as also the magnanimous sages and who ranges the world, persenting all being. With the aid of Lakshmana, I shall forcibly enter the northern gate where Ravana is stationed along with his army."
vānara indrasḥ ca balavān ṛkṣa rājasḥ ca jāmbavān || 6-37-32
rākṣasa indra anujasḥ caiva gulme bhavatu madhyame |
32. balavaan = the mighty; vaanarendrashcha = Sugreeva the king of monkeys; viiryavaan = the valiant; R^ikSaraajashcha = jambavanshchaiva = and vibhishana; the younger brother of the Lord of demons; bhavatu = be; gulme = of the army.
"Let the mighty Sugreeva the king of monkeys, the valiant Jambavan the king of bears and Vibhishana, the younger brother of the Lord of demons occupy the central position of the army."
na ca eva mānuṣam rūpam kāryam haribhir āhave || 6-37-33
eṣā bhavatu naḥ samjnā yuddhe asmin vānare bale |
33. maanuSam = Human; ruupam = form; na chaiva kaaryam = should not be assumed; haribhiH = by the monkeys; aahave = in battle; bale = in the army; vaanare = of monkeys; eSaa = this monkey-shape; bhavatu = should be; samjJNaa = a sign of recognition; naH = among us; asmin = in this; yuddhe = battle.
"Monkeys should not assume human form in the battle, for, in the army of monkeys, this monkey-shape should serve as a sign of recognition among us."
vānarā;eva niścihnam sva jane asmin bhaviṣyati || 6-37-34
vayam tu mānuṣeṇa eva sapta yotsyāmahe parān |
aham eva saha bhrātrā lakṣmaṇena mahā ojasā || 6-37-35
ātmanā pancamasḥ ca ayam sakhā mama vibhīṣaṇaḥ |
34; 35. asmin svajane = in our own people among us; vaanaraaH eva = the form of monkeys itself; bhaviSyati = will become; chihnam = a sign of recognition; naH = for us; sapta = seven; vayam = fo us; yotsyaamahe = will attack; paraan = the foe; maanuSeNaiva = in human form; eSaH = this; aham = I; (along with); bhraatraa = my brother; lakSmaNena = Lakshmana; mohaujasaa = who is full of valour; mama sakhaa = my friend; ayam = this; vibhiiSaNaH = Vibhishana; paN^chamaH = the fifhth; aatmanaa = with him (along with his four companions).
"Among our own people also, the form of monkeys will become a sign of recognition for us. Seven of us will attack the foe in our human form, I, my brother Lakshmana, who is full of valour, my friend Vibhishana and his four companions."
sa rāmaḥ kārya siddhy artham evam uktvā vibhīṣaṇam || 6-37-36
suvela ārohaṇe buddhim cakāra matimān matim |
ramaṇīyataram dṛṣṭvā suvelasya girestaṭm || 6-37-37
36; 37. uktvaa = having said; evam = thus; vibhiiSaNam = to Vibhishana; kR^itya siddhyartham = for the success of the enterprise; saH raamaH = that Rama; matimaan prabhuH = in the role of a wise leader; chakaara = made up; buddhim = his mind; suvelaarohaNe = to ascend Mount Suvela; ramaNiiyataram = the more charming; taTam = slope; suvelasya gireH = of the Mount Suvela; dR^iSTvaa = (he) had observed.
Having said thus to Vibhishana for the success of the enterprise, Rama in the role of a wise leader, decided to stay on Mount Suvela, after observing its charming slopes.
tatas tu rāmo mahatā balena |
praccādya sarvām pṛthivīm mahātmā |
prahṛṣṭa rūpo abhijagāma lankām |
kṛtvā matim so ari vadhe mahātmā || 6-37-38
38. tataH = Thereafter; prachchhaadi = having covered; sarvaam pR^ithiviim = the entire field; mahataa balena = with his great army; kR^itvaa = having made up; matim = his mind; arivadhe = to slain the enemies; mahaatmaa = that high-souled; raamaH = Rama; mahaatmaa = of great courage; abhijagaama = set out; laN^kaam = for Lanka; prahR^iSTa ruupaH = with a joyous and exultant air.
Thereafter, having covered the entire filed with his great army and having made up his mind to destroy the enemies, that high-souled Rama of great courage, set out for Lanka with a joyous and exultant air.
- - - -
ityārṣe śrīmadrāmāyaṇe ādikāvye yuddha kānde saptatriṃśaḥ sargaḥ
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© November 2004, K. M. K. Murthy