With the sound of kettle drums and couches, Rama arrives to Lanka with his army. Ravana hears those sounds and calls his ministers to chalk out his further course of action. Malyavan, Ravana's maternal grandfather advises Ravana to conclude peace with Rama and restore Seetha to him as he is perceiving adverse omens.
तेन शन्ख विमिश्रेण भेरी शब्देन राघवः |
उपयतो महा बाहू रामह् पर पुरम् जयः || ६-३५-१
1. raamaH = Rama; mahaa baahuH = the mighty-armed; parapuranjayaH = conqueror of oppnents cities; upayaati = was sallied forth; tena = there; naadinaa = with a resonant; bheriishabdena = roll of kattle drums; shaN^kha vimishreNa = mingled with the blast of couches.
The mighty armed Rama, the conqueror of hostile cities sallied forth with the resonant roll of kettle drums, mingled with the blast of couches.
तम् निनादम् निशम्य अथ रावणो राक्षस ईश्वरः |
मुहूर्तम् ध्यानम् आस्थाय सचिवान् अभ्युदैक्षत ||६-३५-२
2. nishamya = hearing; atha = thereafter; tam = that; ninaadam = sound; raavaNaH = Ravana; raakSaseshvaraH = the lord of demons; aasthaaya = resorting to dhyaanam = meditation; muhuurtam = for a moment; abhyudaikSata = looked towards; sachivaan = his ministers.
Hearing that sound, Ravana the Lord of demons, paused for a moment to reflect and looked towards his ministers.
अथ तान् सचिवांस् तत्र सर्वान् आभाष्य रावणः |
सभाम् सम्नादयन् सर्वाम् इत्य् उवाच महा बलः || ६-३५-३
जगत्पम्तापनः क्रूरोगर्हयन् राक्षसेश्वरः |
3. atha = then; raavaNaH = Ravan; mahaabalaH = of great strength; jagat samtaapanaH = the tormentor of the world; kruuraH = a cruel demon; raakSaseshvaraH = and the lord of demons; tatra = these; aabhaaSya = addressed; sarvaam = the entire; sabhaam = hall; uvaacha = spoke; iti = as follows; agarhayan = accusing none.
Ravana of great strength the tormentor of the world, and a cruel lord of demons then addressed all his ministers in a voice that resounded the entire hall as follows, accusing none.
तरणम् सागरस्य अपि विक्रमम् बल संचयम् || ६-३५-४
यद् उक्तवन्तो रामस्य भवन्तस् तन् मया श्रुतम् |
4. shrutam = It was heard; mayaa = by me; tat = that; yat = which; uktavantaH = was told; bhavantaH = by you; raamasya = of Rama's; taraNam = crossing; asya saagarasya = of this ocean; vikramam = his prowess; balapauruSam = strength and heroism.
"I have heard what you told me about Rama's crossing the ocean, his prowess, strength and heroism."
भवतश्चाप्यहम् वेद्मि युद्धे सत्यपराक्रमान् || ६-३५-५
तूष्णीकानीक्षतोन्योन्यम् विदित्वाम् रामविक्रमम् |
5. aham = I; vedmi = know; satya paraakramaan = you are truly brave; yuddhe = in the field of battle; viditvaa = yet on being aware; raamavikramam = of that valour of Rama; bhavatashchaapi = you too; iikSataH = look; anyonyam = on each other; tuuSNiikaan = in silence.
"I know that you are truly brave in the battle-field, yet, on beholding that valiant Rama, you too look on each other in silence."
ततस् तु सुमहा प्राज्नो माल्यवान् नाम राक्षसः || ६-३५-६
रावणस्य वचः श्रुत्वा मातुः पैतामहो अब्रवीत् |
6. shrutvaa = hearing; vachaH = the words; raavaNasya = of Ravana; raakSasaH = a demon; maalyavaan naama = called Malyavan; maataamahaH = his maternal grandfather; sumahaapraajJNaH = the highly intelligent; tataH = then; abraviit = answered; iti = as follows:
Hearing those word of Ravana whose maternal grandfather he was, the highly intelligent demon called Malyavan, answered him thus:
विद्यास्वभिविनीतो यो राजा राजन् नय अनुगः || ६-३५-७
स शास्ति चिरम् ऐश्वर्यम् अरींश्च कुरुते वशे |
7. raajam = O; king! saH = He; yaH = who; abhiviniitaH = is well trained; vidyaasu = in (fourteen) sciences; nayaanugaH = and follows the path prudence; shaasti = enjoys; aishvaryam = sovereignty; chiram = for a long time; kurute = compels; ariimshcha = his enemies too; vashe = into sbujugation.
"O, king! He who is well-versed in (fourteen)* sciences and follows the path of prudence, enjoys sovereignty for a long time and compels his enemies too into subjugation."
Four Vedas, six Vedaangas, the Puranas, the Mimamsa, Nyaya and Dharma together constitute fourteen sciences.
संदधानो हि कालेन विगृह्णंसः चारिभिः सह || ६-३५-८
स्व पक्ष वर्धनम् कुर्वन् महद् ऐश्वर्यम् अश्नुते ||
8. (He who); samdadhaanaH = his indded concludes peace; aribhiH saha = even with enemies; vigR^ihNancha = or wages war; kaalena = at a fitting tiem; kurvan vardhanam = strengthens svapakSe = his own party; ashnute = and attains; mahat = a great; aishvaryam = power.
"He who concludes peace even with enemies or wages war at a fitting time strengthens his own party and attains a great power."
हीयमानेन कर्तव्यो राज्ना संधिः समेन च || ६-३५-९
न शत्रुम् अवमन्येत ज्यायान् कुर्वीत विग्रहम् |
9. samdhiH = A treaty of peace; kartavyaH = should be reached; raajN^aaH = by a king; hiiyamaanena = who is weaker; samena cha = or equal; na avamanyeta = He should not under rate; shatrum = that enemy; jyaayaan = (A king who is) stronger; kurrviita = should make; vigraham = war.
"A treaty of peace should be reached by a king who is weaker or equal to an enemy. The king should never underrate that enemy. If the king is more powerful, he should make war on the enemy."
तन्मह्यम् रोचते संधिः सह रामेण रावण || ६-३५-१०
यद् अर्थम् अभियुक्ताः स्म सीता तस्मै प्रदीयताम् |
10. raavaNa = O; Ravana!; tat = for that reason; samdhiH = alliance; raameNa saha = with Rama; rochate = finds favour; mahyam = with me; siitaa = (let) Seetha; yadartham = for whose sake; abhiyuktaH asi = you have been attacked by him; pradiiyataam = be restored; tasmai = to him.
"O, Ravana! For that reason, alliance with Rama finds favour with me. Let Seetha, for whose sake you are being attacked, be restored to him."
तस्य देव ऋषयः सर्वे गन्धर्वासः च जय एषिणः || ६-३५-११
विरोधम् मा गमस् तेन संधिस् ते तेन रोचताम् |
11. sarve = all; devarSayaH = the celestials; sages; gandharvaashcha = and Gandharvas the celestial musicians; jayaiSiNaH = wish for victory; tasya = of that Rama; maagamaH- do not get; virodham- enmity; tena = with them; samdhiH = (Let) alliance; tena = with him; rochataam = be agreable; te = to you.
"All the celestials, sages and Gandharvas the celestial musicians are wishing for victory of Rama. Do not get an enmity with them. Let alliance with him be acceptable to you."
असृजद् भगवान् पक्षौ द्वाव् एव हि पितामहः || ६-३५-१२
सुराणाम् असुराणाम् च धर्म अधर्मौ तद् आश्रयौ |
12. pitaamahaH = Brahma; bhagavaan = the Lord (of creation); aasR^ijat = created; dvau eva = only two pakSau = classes of beings; suraaNaamcha = the celestials; asuraaNaamcha = and the demons; dharmaadharmau = righteousness and unrighteousness; tadaashrayau = take refuge in them respectively.
"Brahma, the lord of creation, created only two classes of beings, the celestials and the demons. Celestials take refuge in righteousness and demons in unrighteousness."
धर्मो हि श्रूयते पक्षः सुराणाम् च महात्मनाम् || ६-३५-१३
अधर्मो रक्षसाम् पक्षोह्य असुराणाम् च रावण |
13. raakSasa = O; Ravana!; dharmaH = righteousness; shruuyate = is said to be; pakSaH = on the side; mahaatmaanaam = of the hight-souled; asuraaNaam = celestials; adharmaH hi = unrighteiousness is indeed; pakSaH = on the side; rakSasaam = of ogres; asuraaNaam cha = and demons.
"O, Ravana! Righteous is said to be on the side of the high-souled celestials. Unrighteousness is indeed on the side of ogres and demons."
धर्मो वै ग्रसते अधर्मम् ततः कृतम् अभूद् युगम् || ६-३५-१४
अधर्मो ग्रसते धर्मम् ततस् तिष्यः प्रवर्तते |
14. yadaa = when; dharmaH = rightoeusness; grastae = swallows; adharmam- unrighteousness; abhuut = it becomes; kR^itam yugam = Kruta Yuga a golden age; adharmaH = (when) unrigheousness; grasate\ swallows; dharmam = righteousness; tadaa = then; pravartate = it stimulates; tiSyaH = Kali Yuga the fourth age.
"When righteousness swallows unrighteousness, it becomes kR^ita Yuga, a golden age. When unrighteousness swallows righteousness, it incites Kali Yuga the fourth age."
तत् त्वया चरता लोकान् धर्मो विनिहतो महान् || ६-३५-१५
अधर्मः प्रगृहीतसः च तेन अस्मद् बलिनः परे |
15. tat = therefore; charataa = who were wandering; lokaan = in the worlds; tvayaa = by you; mahaan = great; dharmo.api = righteousness even; nihataH = was destroyed; adharmaH = (and) unrighteousness; pragR^ihiitashcha = was favoured too; tena = for that reason; pare = the enemies; balinaH = are stronger; asmat = than us.
"Therefore, while you were wandering in the worlds, even the great righteousness was destroyed and unrighteousness favoured by you. So, the enemies are stronger than us."
स प्रमादाद् विवृद्धस् ते अधर्मो अहिर् ग्रसते हि नः || ६-३५-१६
विवर्धयति पक्षम् च सुराणाम् सुर भावनः |
16. pramaadaat = due to negligence; te = of you; saH = that; pravR^iddhaH = well-grown; adharmaH = unrighteousness; grahate hi = is indded swallowing; naH = us; sura bhaavanaH = being favourable to demons; pakSam = the sect; suraaNaam = of demons; vivardhayati cha = is getting augmented.
"Due to your negligence, that well nourished unrighteousness is swallowing us. Being favourable to demons, the sect of demons is thereby getting augmented."
विषयेषु प्रसक्तेन यत् किंचित् कारिणा त्वया || ६-३५-१७
ऱ्षीणाम् अग्नि कल्पानाम् उद्वेगो जनितो महान् |
17. mahaan = A great; udvegaH = fear; janitaH = has been generated; R^iSiNaam = in the sages; agnikalpaanaam = having the nature of fire; prasaktena = who are interested; viSayeSu = in sensual enjoyments; yatkinchitkaariNaa = doing whatever you like.
"You, who are interested in sensual enjoyments, doing whatever you like, have created a great alarm in the sages, having the nature of fire."
तेषाम् प्रभावो दुर्धर्षः प्रदीप्त;इव पावकः || ६-३५-१८
तपसा भावित आत्मानो धर्मस्य अनुग्रहे रताः |
मुख्यैर् यज्नैर् यजन्त्य् एते नित्यम् तैस् तैर् द्विजातयः || ६-३५-१९
जुह्वत्य् अग्नींसः च विधिवद् वेदांसः च उच्चैर् अधीयते |
अभिभूय च रक्षांसि ब्रह्म घोषान् उदैरयन् || ६-३५-२०
दिशो विप्रद्रुताः सर्वे स्तनयित्नुर् इव उष्णगे |
18; 19; 20. prabhaavah = the power; teSaam = of those sages; durdarSah = is insurmountable; pradiiptaH iva = like an igniting; paavakaH = fire; bhaavitaatmaanaH = their minds purified; tapasaa = by penance; rataaH = interested; anugrahe = in promotion; dharmasya = of righteousness; ete = these; dvijaayataH = Brahmanas; yat = for which reason; yajanti = they worship the gods; taistaiH = throught different; mukhyaiH = principal; yaN^aiH = sacrifices; juhvati = pour oblations; agniimshcha = into sacrificial fires; vidhivat = in due ceremonies; adhiiyate = and read; vedaan = the Vedas (sacred texts); uchchaiH = in a loud voice; abhibhuuya = and having subdued; rakSaamsi = the demons; udairayan = they continued to chant; brahmaghoSaan = the sacred texts; (on hearing which); sarve = all demons; vipradrutaaH = scattered; dishaH = in all directions; stanayitnuH = as thundering clouds; uSNage = in a hot season.nt; brahmaghoSaan = the sacred texts; (on hearing which); sarve = all demons; ipradrutaaH = scattered; dishaH = in all directions; stanayitnuH = as thundering clouds; uSNage = in a hot season.
"The power of those sages is insurmountable like an igniting fire. Having purified their minds through penance, they are intent on promotion of righteousness, in as much as these Brahamans worship the gods through different principal sacrifices, also pour oblations into the sacred fires with due ceremony and read the Vedas (Sacred texts) in a loud voice. Having subdued the demons, they continued to chant the sacred text, on hearing which all the demons scattered in all directions, as thundering clouds in a hot season."
ऋषीणाम् अग्नि कल्पानाम् अग्नि होत्र समुत्थितः || ६-३५-२१
आदत्ते रक्षसाम् तेजो धूमो व्याप्य दिशो दश |
21. dhuumaH = The smoke; agnihotra samutthitaH = coming forth from the sacred fire; R^iSiiNaam = of the sages; agnikalpaanaam = who resemble the fire ( in brilliance); vyaapya = enveloping; dasha- the ten; dishaH = directions; aadatte = takes away; tejaH = the magical power; rakSasaam = of the demons.
"The smoke coming forth from the sacred fire of the sage who resemble the fire (in brilliance), enveloping the ten directions, takes away the magical power of the demons."
तेषु तेषु च देशेषु पुण्येषु च दृढ व्रतैः || ६-३५-२२
चर्यमाणम् तपस् तीव्रम् सम्तापयति राक्षसान् |
22. tiivram = the severe; tapaH = austerity; charyamaaNaam = practised; puNyeSTyavadhR^ita vrataiH = by the sages; firm of resolve; teSu teSu = in different; desheSu = countries; samtaapayati = torment; raakSasaan = the demons.
"The severe austerity practised by the sages, firm of resolve, in different countries torment the demons."
देवदानवयक्षेभो गृहीतश्च वरस्त्वया || ६-३५-२३
मनुष्या वानरा ऋक्षा गोलाङ्गूला महाबलाः |
बलवन्त इहागम्य गर्जन्ति दृढविक्रमाः ||६-३५-२४
23; 24. varaH = a boon; (of invincibility); gR^ihiitaH = was recived; tvayaa = by you; deva daanavayakSebhyaH = from celestials; demons and semi-divine beings; (but these are); manuSyaaH = men; R^ikSaaH = bears; golaaNguulaaaH = and monkeys; balavantaH = who are powerful; dR^iDha vikramaaH = having stron prowess; mahaabalaaH = and very efficacious; aagamya = are coming; iha = hither; garjanti = roaring like lions.
"You received a boon of invincibility from celestials, demons and semi-divine beings, but then are men, bears as well as powerful and very efficacious having strong prowess who are coming hither, roaring like lions."
उत्पातान् विविधान् दृष्ट्वा घोरान् बहु विधांस् तथा |
विनाशम् अनुपश्यामि सर्वेषाम् रक्षसाम् अहम् || ६-३५-२५
25. dR^iSTvaa = by seeing; vividhaan = various kinds; utpaataan = of unexpected events (portents); tathaa = and; bahuvidhaan = many types; ghoraan = of terrible things; aham = I; anupashyaami = am perceiving; vinaasham = destruction; sarveSaam = of all; rakSasaam = the demons.
"By seeing various kinds of unexpected events (portents) and many types of terrific things, I am perceiving a destruction of all the demons."
खराभिस् तनिता घोरा मेघाह् प्रतिभयम् करः |
शोणितेन अभिवर्षन्ति लन्काम् उष्णेन सर्वतः || ६-३५-२६
26. ghoraaH = terrific; pratibhayankaraaH = and monstrous; maghaaH = clouds; kharaabhistanitaaH = having harsh thundering sound; abhivarSanti = are raining; uSNena = hot; shoNitena = blood; sarvataH = throughtout; laN^kaan = Lanka.
"With terrifying clamour, monstrous clouds, inspiring horror, rain hot blood on Lanka on every side."
रुदताम् वाहनानाम् च प्रपतन्त्य् अस्र बिन्दवः |
ध्वजा ध्वस्ता विवर्णासः च न प्रभान्ति यथा पुरम् || ६-३५-२७
27. ashrubindavaH = drops of tears; prapatanti = fall; rudataam = from weeping; vaahanaanaam = elephnts; horses etc.; vivarNaaH = which became discoloured; rajodhvastaaH = due to covering by dust; na prabhaanti = and are not shining; yathaapuram = as before.
"Drops of tears drop from the weeping elephants, horses etc., whose skins became discoloured, covered with dust and are not shining as before."
व्याला गोमायवो ग्ऱ्^ इध्रा वाशन्ति च सुभैरवम् |
प्रविश्य लन्काम् अनिशम् समवायांसः च कुर्वते || ६-३५-२८
28. vyaalaaH = flesh-eating animals; gomaayavaH = jackals; gR^idhraaH = eagles; vaashyanti = are howling; subhairavam = horribly; pravishya = and entering; laN^kaam = Lanka; kurvate = they are forming; samavaayaan cha = into groups; aaraame = in groves.
"Flesh-eating animals, jackals and eagles and howling horribly. Entering Lanka, they are in the groves, forming into groups."
कालिकाः पाण्डुरैर् दन्तैः प्रहसन्त्य् अग्रतः स्थिताः |
स्त्रियः स्वप्नेषु मुष्णन्त्यो गृहाणि प्रतिभाष्य च || ६-३५-२९
29. kaalikaaH = black; striyaH = women; pratibhaaSya = talking adversely; svapneSu = in dreams; muSNantyaH = robbing; gR^ihaaNi = the houses; sthitaaH = stand; agrataH = in front; prahasanti = laughing; paaNDuraiH = with their white; dantaiH = teeth.
"Black women, chattering incoherently in dreams and robbing different houses stand in front, laughing loudly with their white teeth."
गृहाणाम् बलि कर्माणि श्वानः पर्युपभुन्जते |
खरा गोषु प्रजायन्ते मूषिका नकुलैः सह || ६-३५-३०
30. shvaanaH = dogs; paryupabhuN^jate = devour; balikarmaaNi = the sacred offerings; gR^ihaaNi = in homes; kharaaH = donkeys; prajaayante = are born; goSu = of cows; muuSakaaH cha = and rats; nakuleSu = of mongoose.
"Dogs devour the sacred offerings offered in homes. Donkeys are born of cows and rats of mongoose."
मार्जारा द्वीपिभिः सार्धम् सूकराः शुनकैः सह |
किम्नरा राक्षसैसः च अपि समेयुर् मानुषैः सह || ६-३५-३१
31. maarjaaraaH = cats; sameyuH = mate; dviipibhiH saardham = with tigers; suukaraaH = pigs; shunakaiH saha = with dogs; kimnaraaH = Kinnaras (a species of demi-gods with the human figure and the head of a horse or with a horse's body with the head of a man); raakSasaishchaapi = with demons; maanuSaiH saha = and men.
"Cats mate with tigers, pigs with dogs, Kinnaras (a species of demi-gods with the human figure and the head of a horse or with a horse's body and the head of a man) with demons and men."
पाण्डुरा रक्त पादासः च विहगाः काल चोदिताः |
राक्षसानाम् विनाशाय कपोता विचरन्ति च || ६-३५-३२
32. rakta paadaashcha = red-footed and; paaNDuraaH = white; kapotaaH = pigeons; kaala choditaaH = messengers of death; vicharanti = move in different directions; (foretelling); vinaashaaya = the extermination; raakSasaam = of demons.
"Red-footed and white pigeons, messengers of death, move in different directions, foretelling the extermination of demons."
वीचीकूचीति वाशन्त्यः शारिका वेश्मसु स्थिताः |
पतन्ति ग्रथितासः च अपि निर्जिताः कलह एषिणः || ६-३५-३३
33. veshmasu sthitaaH = Domesticated; shaarikaaH = minas; vaashantya = making; chiichiikuuchi iti = a chirping sound; nirjitaaH- defeated; kalahaiSibhiH = by other bellicose birds; patanti = drop down; gratjotaasjcjaa[o = being twined together in groups.
"Domesticated minas (a kind of birds) making a chirping sound, defeated by other bellicose birds drop down, being twined together in groups."
पक्षिणश्च मृगाः सर्वे प्रत्यादित्यम् रुदन्ति ते |
करालो विकटो मुण्डः पुरुषः कृष्ण पिन्गलः || ६-३५-३४
कालो गृहाणि सर्वेषाम् काले काले अन्ववेक्षते |
एतान्य् अन्यानि दुष्टानि निमित्तान्य् उत्पतन्ति च || ६-३५-३५
34; 35. pakSiNaH = birds; te sarve = and all those; mR^igaaH = wild animals; pratyaadityam = turning towards the sun; rudanti = cryout; kaalaH = death; karaalaH = (in the from of) frightful; vikaTaH = monstrous; paruSaH = and cruel; kR^iSNa priN^galaH = blackish fellow; muNDaH = with a shaven head; anvavekSate = casts his eyes; gR^ihaaNi = on the dwellings; sarveSaaNi = of all of us; kaale kaale = both morning and eening; etaani = these; anyaani = and other; duSTaani nimittaani cha = sinister omens; utpatanti = appear.
"Birds and wild animals, facing towards the sun, cry out. Death, in the form of a frightful, monstrous and cruel blackish fellow with a shaven head casts his eyes on all our dwellings, both morning and evening. These and such other sinister omens appear."
विष्णुम् मन्यामहे रामम् मानुषम् देहम् आस्थितम् |
न हि मानुष मात्रो असौ राघवो दृढ विक्रमः || ६-३५-३६
येन बद्धः समुद्रस्य स सेतुः परम अद्भुतः |
कुरुष्व नर राजेन संधिम् रामेण रावण || ६-३५-३७
ज्ञात्वावधार्य कर्माणि क्रियतामायतिक्षमम् |
36; 37. manyaamahe = I deem; raamam = Rama; dR^iDhavikramaH = of firm fortitude; viSNum = as Vishnu; aasthitam = dwelling; maanuSam = in human; ruupam = form; asau = this; raaghavaH = Rama; na hi = is not indeed; maanuSa maatraH = a mere human being; yena = he by whom; saH = that paramaadbhutaH = most wonderful; setuH = bridge; baddhaH = was built; samudre = across the sea; raavaNa = O; Ravana!; kuruSva = conclude; samdhim = peace; raameNa = with Rama; nara raajena = who is the king of men; jJNaatvaa = having come to know; karmaaNi = of his acts; aayatikSamam = let that which is good for the future; kriyataam = be done; avadhaarya = after a mature understanding.
"I deem Rama of firm fortitude as Vishnu dwelling in human form. This Rama is not a mere human being, he by whom that most wonderful bridge was built across the sea. O, Ravana! Conclude peace with Rama, who is the king of men. Having come to know of his acts, let that which is good for the future be done after a mature understanding."
इदम् वचस् तत्र निगद्य माल्यवन् |
परीक्ष्य रक्षो अधिपतेर् मनः पुनः |
अनुत्तमेषु उत्तम पौरुषो बली |
बभूव तूष्णीम् समवेक्ष्य रावणम् || ६-३५-३८
nigadya = having spoken; idam vachaH = these words; maalyavaan = Malyavan; balii = the mighty; uttama pauruSaH = who was foremost in valour; anuttameSu = among the bravest warriors; pariikSya = aware of what was passing; rakSadhipate = in Ravana's manaH = mind; punaH = and again; samavekSya = eyeing him; babhuuva = became; tuuSNiim = silent.
Having spoken thus, the mighty Malyavan, who was foremost in valour among the bravest warriors, being aware of what was passing in Ravana's mind, eyeing him, became silent.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे पञ्चत्रिंशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© September 2004, K. M. K. Murthy
What the world says about
verse and locator
Page powered by FREE Go FTP Client