Seetha asks Sarama to go secretly to Ravana and get to know what he is doing as well as report to her back about Ravana's decision about the matter of releasing her or continuing to keep her captive. Sarama secretly hears the conversation of Ravana with his ministers and reports to Seetha that Ravana is not inclined to set her free. Sarama consoles Seetha, saying that Rama with his sharp arrows will kill Ravana and take her back to Ayodhya.
अथ ताम् जात सम्तापाम् तेन वाक्येन मोदिताम् |
सरमा ह्लादयाम् आस महीं दग्धामिवाम्भसा || ६-३४-१
1. atha = then; taam = to that Seetha; jaataa samtaapam = who was overwhelmed with anguish;moditaam = was made delighted;tena vaakyena = by those words;saramaa = Sarama; samaahlaadayaamaasa = conferred delight;ambhasaa iva = like by rain;dagdhaam = the parched; mahiim = earth.
Seetha, who was overwhelmed with anguish on hearing Ravana's words, was comforted and rendered happy by Sarama, as parched earth is solaced by rain.
ततस् तस्या हितम् सख्याश् चिकीर्षन्ती सखी वचः |
उवाच काले कालज्ना स्मित पूर्व अभिभाषिणी || ६-३४-२
2. tataH = there after; chikiirshhanti = wishing to be; hitam(of further) service; tasyaaH = to that Seetha; sakhyaaH = her friend; sakhii = the affectionate Sarama; kaalajNaa = skilled in the knowledge of time; smita puurva bhaashhiNii = who smiled before talking; uvaacha = spoke; vachaH = (the following ) words; kaale = at the proper time.
Desiring to be of further service to her friend Seetha, the affectionate Sarama, skilled in the knowledge of time, smiling while talking, spoke the following words at that appropriate time.
उत्सहेयम् अहम् गत्वा त्वद् वाक्यम् असित ईक्षणे |
निवेद्य कुशलम् रामे प्रतिच्चन्ना निवर्तितुम् || ६-३४-३
3. asitekshhaNe = O; black eyed lady!; aham utsaheyam = I am able; nivedya = to carry a message; kushalam = of good will; tvadvaakyam = and your words; raame = to Rama; gatvaa = by going to him; pratichchhannaa = secretly; nivartitum = and to return.
"O, black eyed lady! I am capable of carrying a message of your words and good will to Rama and to return secretly."
न हि मे क्रममाणाया निरालम्बे विहायसि |
समर्थो गतिम् अन्वेतुम् पवनो गरुडो अपि वा || ६-३४-४
4. kramamaaNaayaaH = when I am journeying; vihaayasi = in the sky; niraalambe = self-supported; pavanaH = the god of wind; garuDo api vaa = or even Garuda the eagle; na samarthaH = is not capable; anvetum = to follow; me = my; gatim = movement
"When I am journeying in the sky self -supported, neither the god of wind nor Garuda the eagle can follow my movement."
एवम् ब्रुवाणाम् ताम् सीता सरमाम् पुनर् अब्रवीत् |
मधुरम् श्लक्ष्णया वाचा पूर्व शोक अभिपन्नया || ६-३४-५
5. taam saramaam = to Sarama; bruvaaNaam = who was speaking; evam = as aforesaid; siitaa = Seetha; vaachaa = her voice; puurvashokaabhi pannayaa = no longer charged with grief; abraviit = replied; idam = in these words; shlakshhNayaa = gently; madhuram = and sweetly (as follows):
To Sarama, who was speaking as aforesaid, Seetha her voice no longer charged with grief, gently and sweetly replied in the following words:
समर्था गगनम् गन्तुम् अपि वा त्वम् रसा तलम् |
अवगच्चाम्य् अकर्तव्यम् कर्तव्यम् ते मद् अन्तरे || ६-३४-६
6. tvam = you; samarthaa = are able; gantum = to go; gaganam = to heaven; apicha = and ; rasaatalam = to the penultimate subterranean region; avagachchha = know (from me); adya = today; kartavyam = duty; kartavyam = that has got to be performed; te = by you; medantare = for my sake.
"You are capable of going to heaven or to the penultimate subterranean region. Know from me today the duty that has got to be performed by you for my sake."
मत् प्रियम् यदि कर्तव्यम् यदि बुद्धिः स्थिरा तव |
ज्नातुम् इच्चामि तम् गत्वा किम् करोति इति रावणः || ६-३४-७
7. yadi = If; tava = your; buddhiH = intention; kartavyam = is to act; matpriyam = kindly towards me; tava = and your resolve; sthiraa yadi = is fixed; ichchhaami = I wish(you); gattvaa = to go; jN^aatum = and to know; kim = what; raavaNaH = Ravana; karotiiti = is doing.
"If your intention is to act kindly towards me and your resolve is firm , I wish you to go and know what Ravana is doing now."
स हि माया बलः क्रूरो रावणः शत्रु रावणः |
माम् मोहयति दुष्ट आत्मा पीत मात्रा इव वारुणी || ६-३४-८
8. saH = raavaNaH = that Ravana; maayaabalaH = equipped with strength in the shape of conjuring tricks; shatru raavaNaH = who makes his enemies cry; kruuraH = is cruel; dushhTaatmaa = and evil minded; mohayati = has bemused; maam = me; vaaruNiiva = as spirituous liquor(bemuses one); piita maatraa = the moment it is imbibed.
"That cruel and evil minded Ravana, equipped with strength in the shape of conjuring tricks, who makes his enemies cry has bemused me, as spirituous liquor bemuses one, the moment it is imbibed."
तर्जापयति माम् नित्यम् भर्त्सापयति च असक्र्त् |
राक्षसीभिः सुघोराभिर् या माम् रक्षन्ति नित्यशः || ६-३४-९
9. bhartsaapayati = he causes me to be threatened by words; nityam = all the time; sughoraabhiH = by the most frightful; raakshhasiibhiH = ogresses; yaaH = who; nityashaH = always; rakshhanti = surround me; tarjaapayati = insult me by their acts; asakR^it = repeatedly.
"He causes me to be threatened by words all the time by the most frightful ogresses, who always surround me and insult me by their act repeatedly."
उद्विग्ना शन्किता च अस्मि न च स्वस्थम् मनो मम |
तद् भयाच् च अहम् उद्विग्ना;अशोक वनिकाम् गताः || ६-३४-१०
10. aham = I; asmi = am; udvignaa = depressed in mind; shaN^kitaacha = and distrustful; mama = My; manaH = mind; na svastham = is not in its natural state; gataa = being in; ashoka vanakaam = Ashoka grove; aham = I; udvignaa = am distressed ; tadbhayaat = because of his fear.
"I am depressed in mind and distrustful. My mind is not in its natural state. Staying in Ashoka grove, I am distressed because of his fear."
यदि नाम कथा तस्य निश्चितम् वा अपि यद् भवेत् |
निवेदयेथाः सर्वम् तत् परो मे स्याद् अनुग्रहः ||६-३४-११
11. nivedayathaaH = if you inform; tat sarvam = all that; yat = which; bhavet = becomes; nishchitam vaapi = decision; (or) tasya = his; kathaa = talk; yadinaama = if ever; tat = it; syaat = will be; paraH = a great; anugrahaH = service; me = to me.
"Report to me, all that is decided by him during his talk going on with his ministers about the matter of releasing me or keeping me captive. It will be of great service to me."
साप्येवम् ब्रुवतीम् सीताम् सरमा वल्गु भाषिणी |
उवाच वचनम् तस्याः स्पृशन्ती बाष्प विक्लवम् || ६-३४-१२
12. saa = that; saramaapi = Sarama also; mR^idu bhaashiNii = who speaks kindly words; spR^ishantii = touching (wiping); tasyaaH = her; vadanam = face; bashhpaviklabam = which got moist with tears; uvaacha = replied; siitaam = to Seetha; bruuvatiim = who was speaking; evam = as aforesaid:
The soft spoken Sarama, wiping her face, which got moist with tears, replied as follows to Seetha who was speaking as aforesaid:
एष ते यद्य् अभिप्रायस् तस्माद् गच्चामि जानकि |
गृह्य शत्रोर् अभिप्रायम् उपाव्र्त्ताम् च पश्य माम् || ६-३४-१३
13. yadi = if; te = your; abhipraayah = opinion; eshhaH = is this; gachchhaami = I shall go; tasmaat = on that account; jaanaki = O; Seetha !; gR^ihya = having grasped; abhipraayam = the feeling; shatroH = of the enemies; upaavartaami = I shall return; maithili = O; Seetha!
"If your opinion is like this, I shall go on that account, O, Seetha! Having grasped the feeling of the enemies, I shall return O, Seetha!"
एवम् उक्त्वा ततो गत्वा समीपम् तस्य रक्षसः |
शुश्राव कथितम् तस्य रावणस्य समन्त्रिणः || ६-३४-१४
14. uktvaa = speaking; evam = thus; gatvaa = (she); went; tataH = thereafter; samiipam = to the vicinity; tasya rakshhasaH = of that demon; shushraava = and heard; kathitam = the conversation; tasya = of that; raavaNasya = Ravana; samantriNaH = who was with his ministers.
Speaking thus, Surama thereafter went to the vicinity of that demon and heard the conversation of Ravana who was with his ministers.
सा श्रुत्वा निश्चयम् तस्य निश्चयज्ना दुरात्मनः |
पुनर् एव अगमत् क्षिप्रम् अशोक वनिकाम् तदा || ६-३४-१५
15. saa = she; nishchayajNaa = who knew how to investigate; shrutvaa = having heard; duraatmanaH = the wicked; tasya = Ravana's; nishchayam = resolve; kshhipram = soon; aagamat = came; punareva = again; shubhaam = to the beautiful; ashokavanikaam = Ashoka grove.
Sarama, who knew how to investigate could hear the wicked Ravana's resolve and soon returned to Ashoka grove.
सा प्रविष्टा पुनस् तत्र ददर्श जनक आत्मजाम् |
प्रतीक्षमाणाम् स्वाम् एव भ्रष्ट पद्माम् इव श्रियम् || ६-३४-१६
16. saa = she; pravishhTaa = who entered; tatra = there; dadarsha = saw; tataH = then; janakaatmajam = Seetha; shriyam iva = who looked like Lakshmi ;the goddess of prosperity; bhrashhTa padmaam = bereft of the lotus; pratiikshhamaaNaam = who was waiting; svaameva = for her alone.
Sarama, who entered the Ashoka grove, saw Seetha who looked like Lakshmi the goddess of prosperity (and the wife of Vishnu); bereft of the lotus and waiting for her only.
ताम् तु सीता पुनः प्राप्ताम् सरमाम् वल्गु भाषिणीम् |
परिष्वज्य च सुस्निग्धम् ददौ च स्वयम् आसनम् || ६-३४-१७
17. siitaa = Seetha; susnigdham = affectionately; parishhvajya = embraced; priyabhaashhiNiim = the kindly speaking; saramaam = Sarama; punaH praaptaam = who returned ; dadou = and offered; svayam = personally; aasanam = a seat(to her).
Seetha affectionately embraced the kindly speaking Surama who returned there and offered personally a seat to her.
इह आसीना सुखम् सर्वम् आख्याहि मम तत्त्वतः |
क्रूरस्य निश्चयम् तस्य रावणस्य दुरात्मनः || ६-३४-१८
18. aasiinaa = sitting; iha = here; sukham = comfortably; aakhyaahi = tell; mama = me; tattvataH = really; sarvam = about all; nishchayam = the design; tasya raavaNasya = of that Ravana; kruurasya = the cruel; duraatmanaH = and the wicked demon.
"Sitting here comfortably, tell me about the real design of that cruel and wicked Ravana"
एवम् उक्ता तु सरमा सीतया वेपमानया |
कथितम् सर्वम् आचष्त रावणस्य समन्त्रिणः || ६-३४-१९
19. saramaa = (while) Sarama;uktaa = was enquired; evam = thus; siitasya = by Seetha; vepamaanayaa = tremblingwith fear; aachashTa = narrated; sarvam = all; kathitam = the conversation; raavaNasya = of Ravana; samantriNaH = together with his ministers.
When Seetha trembling with fear enquired thus, Sarama narrated all the conversation of Ravana together with his ministers.
जनन्या राक्षस इन्द्रो वै त्वन् मोक्ष अर्थम् बृहद् वचः |
अविद्धेन च वैदेहि मन्त्रि वृद्धेन बोधितः || ६-३४-२०
20. vaidehi = O;Seetha!; jananyaa = by the mother; raakshhasendraH = of Ravana; aviddhena = and by Aviddha; mantri vR^iddhena = his aged minister; bR^ihat = excellent; vachaH = words; uditaH = were spoken; tvanmokshhaartham = with the aim of your release.
"Excellent words were spoken by Kaikasi, the mother of Ravana as well as Aviddha the aged minister asking for your release, O Seetha!"
दीयताम् अभिसत्क्र्त्य मनुज इन्द्राय मैथिली |
निदर्शनम् ते पर्याप्तम् जन स्थाने यद् अद्भुतम् || ६-३४-२१
21. maithilii = (let) Seetha; diiyataam = be restored; abhisatkR^itya = honorably; manujendraaya = to Rama the lord of men; adbhutam = the wonderful thing; yat = which; (happened) janasthaane = in Janasthana; paryaaptam = is an enough; midarsham = eye opener; te = to you.
"Let Seetha, be restored honorably to Rama the Lord of men. That wonderful** thing happened in Janasthana is an enough eye- opener to you."
** Rama exterminated fourteen thousand demons led by such great warriors as Khara and Dushana at Janastana.
लन्घनम् च समुद्रस्य दर्शनम् च हनूमतः |
वधम् च रक्षसाम् युद्धे कः कुर्यान् मानुषो भुवि || ६-३४-२२
22. kaH = what; maanushhaH = mortal; kuryaat = could accomplish; laN^ghanam = the crossing; samudrasya = of the ocean; hanuumataH = by Hanuman; vadhamcha = and the carnage; rakshhasaam = of the demons; yuddhe = in combat; bhuvi = on the earth?
"Which mortal would accomplish the crossing of the ocean, the discovery of Seetha by Hanuman, and the carnage of the demons in combat on this earth?"
एवम् स मन्त्रि वृद्धैश्च मात्रा च बहु भाषितः |
न त्वाम् उत्सहते मोक्तुम् अर्तह्म् अर्थ परो यथा || ६-३४-२३
23. bodhitaH = though admonished; bahu = in many ways; evam = thus; mantrivR^iddhaishcha = by the aged ministers; maatraacha = and by his mother; saH = he; na utsahate = does not want; moktum = to release; tvaam = you; arthamiva = as with riches; arthaparaH = by a miser.
"Though admonished in many ways by the aged ministers and his mother he is not inclined to set you free, any more than a miser would leave his hold on his riches.
न उत्सहत्य् अम्र्तो मोक्तुम् युद्धे त्वाम् इति मैथिलि |
सामात्यस्य नृशंसस्य निश्चयो ह्य् एष वर्तते || ६-३४-२४
24. maithili = O;Seetha!; notsahati = he does not want; moktum = to release; tvaam = you; amR^itaH = without dying; yuddho = in battle; iti = in this manner; eshhaH = this; vartate = is; nishchayaH = the resolve; nR^ishamsasya = of the cruel Ravana; saamaatyasya = along with his ministers.
"O, Seetha! He does not want to release you, without dying himself in a battle. This is the resolve of the cruel Ravana along with his ministers."
तद् एषा सुस्थिरा बुद्धिर्मृत्यु लोभाद् उपस्थिता |
भयान् न शक्तस् त्वाम् मोक्तुम् अनिरस्तस् तु सम्युगे || ६-३४-२५
राक्षसानाम् च सर्वेषाम् आत्मनश् च वधेन हि |
25. -"Thereafter; due to infatuation caused by his impending death; his aforesaid determination is very firm .He is not in a position to release you; not through sheer fear; but until he is actually defeated in battle through the carnage of all the demons and of himself."
-"Thereafter, due to infatuation caused by his impending death, his aforesaid determination is very firm .He is not in a position to release you, not through sheer fear, but until he is actually defeated in battle through the carnage of all the demons and of himself."
निहत्य रावणम् सम्ख्ये सर्वथा निशितैः शरैः || ६-३४-२६
प्रतिनेष्यति रामस् त्वाम् अयोध्याम् असित ईक्षणे |
26. asitekshhaNe = O; dark eyed Seetha!; nihatya = killing; raavaNam = Ravana; nishitaiH = by his sharp; sharaiH = arrows; samkhye = in combat; raamaH = Rama; tvaam prati neshhyati = will take you back; ayodhyaam = to Ayodhya; sarvathaa = by all means.
"O, dark eyed Seetha! Killing Ravana by his sharp arrows in combat, Rama will take you back to Ayodhya by all means."
एतस्मिन्न् अन्तरे शब्दो भेरी शन्ख समाकुलः || ६-३४-२७
श्रुतो वै सर्व सैन्यानाम् कम्पयन् धरणी तलम् |
27. In the meantime was heard the sound of all the monkey troops blended with the sound of kettle drums; causing earth to shake. w.wM-etasmin antare = in the mean time; shrutovai = was heard; shabdoH = the sound; sarva sainyaanaam = of all the monkey troops; bheriishabda samaakulaH = blended with the sound of kettle drums; dharaNiitalam = causing earth; kampayam = to shake.
In the meantime was heard the sound of all the monkey troops blended with the sound of kettle drums, causing earth to shake.
श्रुत्वा तु तम् वानर सैन्य शब्दम् |
लन्का गता राक्षस राज भ्र्त्याः |
नष्ट ओजसो दैन्य परीत चेष्टाः |
श्रेयो न पश्यन्ति न्र्पस्य दोषैः || ६-३४-२८
28. Hearing that sound of that monkey troops; the servants of Ravana stationed in Lanka were lack- luster with their movements; overcome by depression. They did not see anything salutary in it; owing to the fault of their king. wM-shrutvaa = hearing; tvam = that; vaanara sainya naadam = sound of the monkey troops; raakshhasa raajabhR^ityaaH = the servants of Ravana; laN^kaagataaH = employed in Lanka; hatoujasaH = were bereft of luster; dainyapariitacheshhTaaH = with their movements overcome by depression; na pashyanti = they did not see; shreyaH = anything salutary; doshhaat = owing to the fault; nR^ipashya = of their king.
Hearing that sound of that monkey troops, the servants of Ravana stationed in Lanka were lack- luster with their movements, overcome by depression. They did not see anything salutary in it, owing to the fault of their king.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे चतुस्त्रिंशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© September 2004, K. M. K. Murthy