Dispatched by the king Ravana to ascertain the strength of the army in the opposition-camp, Shardula the demon-spy acquaints his master with the important leaders of the monkeys.
ततस्तमक्षोभ्य बलम् लंका अधिपतये चराः |
सुवेले राघवम् शैले निविष्टम् प्रत्यवेदयन् || ६-३०-१
1. tataH = thereafter; charaaH = the spies; pratyavedayan = informed; laN^kaadhipate = Ravana; tam = about that; raaghavam = Rama; akshobhyabalam = with his unperturbable army; suvela shaile = on Suvela Mountain.
Thereafter, the spies informed Ravana about Rama, with his unperturbable army, having encamped on Suvela Mountain.
चाराणाम् रावणः श्रुत्वा प्राप्तम् रामम् महाबलम् |
जात उद्वेगो अभवत् किंचित् शार्दूलम् वाक्यम् अब्रवीत् || ६-३०-२
2. shrutvaa = hearing; chaaraaNaam = from the spies; praaptam = about the arrival; mahaabalam = of the exceedingly strong; raamam = Rama; raavaNaH = Ravana; abhavat = became; kimchit = a little; jaatodvegaH = perturbed; abraviit = (and) spoke; vaakyam = (the following) words; sharduulam = to Shardula.
Hearing from the spies about the arrival of Rama, the exceedingly strong man, Ravana became a little perturbed and spoke to Shardula as follows:
अयथावच् च ते वर्णो दीनः च असि निशा चर |
न असि कच्चिद् अमित्राणाम् क्रुद्धानाम् वशम् आगतः || ६-३०-३
3. nishaachara = O; demon! Te = your; varNaH = complexion; ayathaavat cha = is not so as it should be; asi = you (look); diinashcha = miserable too; na aagataH kachchit = I hope that you have not fallen; vasham = a victim; kruddhaanaam = to the enraged; amitraaNaam = enemies.
O, demon! Your complexion is not so as it should be. You look miserable too. I hope that you have not fallen a victim to the enraged monkeys."
इति तेन अनुशिष्टस् तु वाचम् मन्दम् उदीरयत् |
तदा राक्षस शार्दूलम् शार्दूलो भय विह्वलः || ६-३०-४
4. iti = thus; anushiSTaH = questioned; tena = by Ravana; shaarduulaH = Shardula; bhaya vihvalaH = afflicted with fear; tadaa = then; mandam = sluggishly; udiirayat = spoke; vaacham = (these) words; raakshasa shaarduulam = to Ravana the tiger among demons.
Thus questioned by Ravana, Shardula afflicted with fear, then sluggishly spoke the following words to Ravana the tiger among demons:
न ते चारयितुम् शक्या राजन् वानर पुम्गवाः |
विक्रान्ता बलवन्तः च राघवेण च रक्षिताः || ६-३०-५
5. raajan = O; king! Te = those; vaanara puNgavaaH = excellent monkeys; vikraantaaH = bold; balavantashcha = strong; rakSitaaH cha = and protected; raaghavaNa = by Rama; na shakyaaH = are not capable of being; chaarayitum = spied upon.
"O, king! Those strong, bold and excellent monkeys protected by Rama are not capable of being spied upon."
न अपि सम्भाषितुम् शक्याः सम्प्रश्नो अत्र न लभ्यते |
सर्वतो रक्ष्यते पन्था वानरैः पर्वत उपमैः || ६-३०-६
6. na shakyaaH = they are not capable of being; sambhaaSitumapi = talked with; na labhyate = nor can be found anything; samprashna = by interrogating; atra = with them; sarvataH = the entire; panthaaH = path; rakshyate = is being protected; vaanaraiH = by the monkeys; parvatopamaiH = looking like mountains.
"They are not capable of being talked with and nothing can be found in interrogating with them. The entire path is being protected by the monkeys looking like mountains."
प्रविष्ट मात्रे ज्ञातो अहम् बले तस्मिन्न् अचारिते |
बलाद् गृहीतो बहुभिर् बहुधा अस्मि विदारितः || ६-३०-७
7. aham = I; jJNaataH = was identified; (when); tasmin = that; bale = army; praviSTamaatre = was merely penetrated into (by me); achaarite = and began to be examined; gR^ihiitaH = I was seized; balata = forcibly; rakshobhiH = by the demons (forming the retinue of Vibhishana); asmi = I was; vichaaritaH = investigated (by them); babhudhaaH = in various ways.
"I was identified when that army was merely penetrated into (by me) and began to be examined. I was seized forcibly by the demons (forming the retinue of Vibhishana), who investigated me in various ways."
जानुभिर् मुष्टिभिर् दन्तैस् तलैः च अभिहतो भृशम् |
परिणीतो अस्मि हरिभिर् बलवद्भिर् अमर्षणैः || ६-३०-८
8. abhihataH = I was beaten; bhR^isham = very much; jaambhiH = with knees; muSTibhiH = fists; dantaiH = teeth; talaishcha = and palms; amarSaNaiH = by the enraged; haribhiH = monkeys; asmi = I was; pariNiitaH = paraded round; balamdhye = in the middle of the army.
"I was beaten on all sides with knees, fists, teeth and palms by the enraged monkeys. I was also paraded round in the midst of their army."
परिणीय च सर्वत्र नीतो अहम् राम संसदम् |
रुधिर आदिग्ध सर्व अन्गो विह्वलः चलित इन्द्रियः || ६-३०-९
9. pariNiiya = having been paraded; sarvatra = all around; aham = I; niitaH = was taken; raamasamsadi = to the court of Rama; rudhiraadidighdhasarvaaN^gaH = all my limbs was anointed with blood; vihvalaH = being trembled; chalitendriyaH = my senses were disturbed.
"Having been paraded all around thus, I was finally taken to the court of Rama. All my limbs were bleeding and Rama. All my limbs were bleeding and I was trembling, with my senses disturbed."
हरिभिर् वध्यमानः च याचमानः कृत अन्जलिः |
राघवेण परित्रातो जीवामि ह यदृच्चया || ६-३०-१०
10. vadhyamaanaH = while being plagmed; haribhiH = by the monkeys; yaachamaanaH = and asked for protection; kR^itaN^jaliH = with joined palms; paritraataH = I was saved; yard^ichchhayaa = fortunately; raaghaveNa = by Rama; maameti cha = saying "stay! Stay!".
"While being plagued by the monkeys and asked for protection with joined palms, I was saved fortunately by Rama, saying �stay!stay!'
एष शैलैः शिलाभिः च पूरयित्वा महाअर्णवम् |
द्वारम् आश्रित्य लंकाया रामस् तिष्ठति सायुधः || ६-३०-११
11. eSaH = that; raamaH = Rama; puurayitvaa = has filled; mahaarNavam = the sea; shailaiH = with boulders; shilaabhishcha = and rocks; aashritya = taking up his position; dvaaram = at the gates; laN^kaayaaH = of Lanka; tiSThati = and stands there; saayndhaH = well equipped with weapon.
"Rama has filled the sea with boulders and rocks, taking up his position at the gates of Lanka and stands there, well-equipped with weapons."
गरुड व्यूहम् आस्थाय सर्वतो हरिभिर् वृतः |
माम् विसृज्य महातेजा लंकाम् एव अभिवर्तते || ६-३०-१२
12. visR^ijya = having released; maam = me; mahaatejajaaH = Rama of great splendour; aasthaaya = arranged; (the army); garuDa vyuuham = in the form of Garuda (an eagle); vR^itaH = (He is) encircled; sarvataH = on all sides; haribhiH = by monkeys; abhivartate = and is approaching; laN^kaameva = towards Lanka.
"Having released me, Rama of great splendour arranged the army in the form of Garuda (an eagle). He is encircled on all sides by the monkeys and is approaching towards Lanka."
पुरा प्राकारम् आयाति क्षिप्रम् एकतरम् कुरु |
सीताम् च अस्मै प्रयच्च आशु सुयुद्धम् वा प्रदीयताम् || ६-३०-१३
13. puraa aayaati = he may reach; praakaaram = the ramparts; kuru = do; ekataram = one thing or the other; kshipram = quickly; vaa = or; prayaachchha = give away; siitaam = Seetha; aashu = immediately; pradiiyataam vaapi = or even give him; yuddham = a battle.
"Before he reaches the ramparts, do one thing or the other quickly or give away Seetha immediately or even offer him battle."
मनसा सम्तताप अथ तत् श्रुत्वा राक्षस अधिपः |
शार्दूलस्य महद् वाक्यम् अथ उवाच स रावणः || ६-३०-१४
14. shrutvaa = having heard; tat = those words; saH = that; raavaNaH = Ravana; raakshasaadhipaH = the Lord of demons; tadaa = then; prekshya manasaa = reflected; tat = on it; atham = and thereafter; uvaacha = spoke; sumahat vaakyam = the significant words; shaarduulam = to shardula.
Having heard those words, Ravana the lord of demons reflected on it and thereafter spoke the following significant words to Shardula.
यदि माम् प्रतियुध्येरन् देव गन्धर्व दानवाः |
न एव सीताम् प्रदास्यामि सर्व लोक भयाद् अपि || ६-३०-१५
15. naira pradaasyaami = I will not give away; siitaam = Seetha; yadi = even if; deva gandharva daanavaaH = the celestials or Gandharvas the celestial musicians or the demons; pratiyudhyerannapi = were to fight again; maam = me; sarva loka bhayaadapi = or even under danger from all beings.
"I will not give away Seetha even if the celestials or Gandharvas the celestial musicians or the demons were to fight against me or even under danger from all beings."
एवम् उक्त्वा महातेजा रावणः पुनर् अब्रवीत् |
चारिता भवता सेना के अत्र शूराः प्लवम् गमाः || ६-३०-१६
16. mahaatejaaH = the heroic; raavaNaH = Ravana; evam = thus; uktvaa = uttered; punaH = and again; abraviit = spoke (as follows); senaa = (has) the army; charitaa = been espied; bhavataa = by you? Ke = who; shuuraaH = are the valiant; plavaN^gamaaH = monkeys; atra = among them?
After uttering the aforesaid words, the heroic Ravana again spoke as follows: "Has the army been espied by you? Who are the valiant monkeys among them?"
कीदृशाः किम् प्रभावाः च वानरा ये दुरासदाः |
कस्य पुत्राः च पौत्राः च तत्त्वम् आख्याहि राक्षस || ६-३०-१७
17. suurata = O; the virtuous; saumya = gentle man!; kimprabhaaH vaanaraaH = what radiance do the monkeys have; ye = who; duraasadaaH = an difficult to be conquered? kiidR^ishaaH = of what kind? Kasya = whose; putraaH = sons (are they?) pautrashcha = whose grandsons are they? Tvam = you; aakhyaahi = describe; tat = it.
"O, the virtuous gentle Shardula! What radiance do the monkeys, who are difficult to be conquered possess of? what kind? Whose sons and grandsons are they? You tell me that information."
तथात्र प्रतिपत्स्यामि ज्ञात्वा तेषाम् बल अबलम् |
अवश्यम् बल सम्ख्यानम् कर्तव्यम् युद्धम् इच्चता || ६-३०-१८
18. jJNaatvaa = after knowing; teSaam = their; balaabalam = strength and weakness; pratipatsyaami = I will decide; atra = in this matter; tathaa = accordingly; kartavyam khalu = Is it not necessary; samkhyaanam = to count; avashyam = clearly; ichchhataam = those who are yearning; yuddham = for battle?
"After knowing their strengths and weakness, I will decide in this matter accordingly. Is it not necessary to count clearly those who are really yearning to fight the battle?"
अथ एवम् उक्तः शार्दूलो रावणेन उत्तमः चरः |
इदम् वचनम् आरेभे वक्तुम् रावण सम्निधौ || ६-३०-१९
19. evam = thus; uktaH = spoken; raavaNena = by Ravana; shaarduulaH = Shardula; uttamaH charaH = the excellent spy; atha = then; aarebhe = started; vaktum = to tell; idam = these; vachanam = words; raavaNa samvidhau = for Ravana's clearance.
Hearing Ravana's words, Shardula the excellent spy then started to narrate these words for Ravana's information:
अथ ऋक्ष रजसः पुत्रो युधि राजन् सुदुर्जयः |
गद्गदस्य अथ पुत्रो अत्र जाम्बवान् इति विश्रुतः || ६-३०-२०
20. atha = certainly; raajaa = king Sugreeva; putraH = the son; R^iksharajasaH = of Riksharajasa; duraasadaH = is difficult to be conquered; yudhi = in battle; atra = here; sutraH = is the so; gadgadasya = of Gadgada; vishrutaH = famously; jaambavaaniti = called as Jambavan.
"Certainly, king Sugreeva, the son of Riksharajasa, is difficult to be conquered in battle. Here is the son of Gadgada, famously called as Jambavan."
गद्गदस्य एव पुत्रो अन्यो गुरु पुत्रः शत क्रतोः |
कदनम् यस्य पुत्रेण कृतम् एकेन रक्षसाम् || ६-३०-२१
21. asyaH = the other one; putraH = is the son; gadgadasyaiva = of the same Gadagada. (another one); guruputraH = is the son of Brihaspati; the teacher; shatakratoH = of Indra the god of celestials; (called Kesari); yasya = by whose; putreNa = son (Hanuman); ekena = alone; kadanam = the destroyal; rakshasaam = of demons; kR^itam = was done.
"The other one is the son of the same Gadgada. Another one is the son of Brihaspati the teacher of Indra the lord of celestials, called Kesari by whose son Hanuman the demons were destroyed."
सुषेणः च अपि धर्म आत्मा पुत्रो धर्मस्य वीर्यवान् |
सौम्यः सोम आत्मजः च अत्र राजन् दधि मुखः कपिः || ६-३०-२२
22. raajan = O; king! Atra = here is; suSeNashcha = Sushena; putraH = the son; dharmasya = of Yama the lord of Death; viiryavaan = who is valiant; dharmaatmaa = and virtuous minded; dadhimukhaH kapiH = and a monkey called Dadhimukha; somaatmajaH = who is the son of moon; saumyaH = and cool-minded.
"O, king! Here is Sushena the son of Yama the Lord of Death who is valiant and virtuous, as well as a monkey called Dadhimukha, the cool-minded, who is the son of moon."
सुमुखो दुर्मुखः च अत्र वेग दर्शी च वानरः |
मृत्युर् वानर रूपेण नूनम् सृष्टः स्वयम्भुवा || ६-३०-२३
23. sumukhaH = Sumukha; durmukhashchaiva = Durmukha; vaanaraH = and monkey called; vegadarshiicha = called Vegadarshi; nuunam = are surely; mR^ityuH = the death; sR^iSTaH = created; vaanara rapeNa = in the form of monkeys; svayambhuvaa = by Brahma the Lord of creation.
"Sumukha, Durmukha and a monkey called Vegadarshi are surely the personifications of death in the form of monkeys, created by Brahma, the Lord of creation."
पुत्रो हुत वहस्य अथ नीलः सेना पतिः स्वयम् |
अनिलस्य च पुत्रो अत्र हनूमान् इति विश्रुतः || ६-३०-२४
24. atra = here is; niilaH = Nila; senaapatiH = the army-general; svayam = himself; putraH = the son; hutavahasya = of Agni the Lord of Fire; atra = here is; anilasya putraH = the son of Vayu the Lord of Wind; vishrutaH = well-know; hanumaaniti = as Hanuman.
"Here is Nila the army-general himself, the son of Agni the Lord of Fire. Here is the son of Vayu the Lord of Wind well- known as Hanuman."
नप्ता शक्रस्य दुर्धर्षो बलवान् अन्गदो युवा |
मैन्दः च द्विविदः च उभौ बलिनाव् अश्वि सम्भवौ || ६-३०-२५
पुत्रा वैवस्वतस्य अत्र पन्च काल अन्तक उपमाः |
गजो गव अक्षो गवयः शरभो गन्ध मादनः || ६-३०-२६
दश वानरकोट्यश्च शूराणाम् युद्धकाङ्ग्क्षिणाम् |
श्रीमताम् देवपुत्राणाम् शेषम् नाख्यातुमुत्सहे || ६-३०-२७
25; 26; 27. yuvaa = the young; an^gadaH = Angada; shakrasya = Indra's; naptaa = grandson; balavaan = the stron; durdharSaH = and invincible; ubhau = both; balinau = the mighty; maindashacha = Mainda; dvividashcha = and Dvivida; ashvisambhavau = born of the two divinities of Ashvin*; atha = and; gaja = Gaja; gavaakSaH = Gavaksha; gavayaH = Gavaya; sharabhaH = Sharabha; gandhamaadhanaH = and Gandhamadhana; paN^cha = the five; putraaH = sons; vaivasvatasya = of Yama the God of Death; kaalaantkopamaa = resembling Yama at the time of dissolution of the world; dasha = ten; vaanarakoTyashcha = crores of monkeys; shuuraaNaam = the valiant ones; yuddhakaaNkshiNaam = who are yearning for battle (are here); na utsahe = I cannot venture; aakhyaatum = to tell; sheSaam = about remaining; devaputraaNaam = sons of god; shriimataam = the glorious.
"The young Angada, Indra's grandson, the strong and invincible one, both the mighty Mainda and Dvinda born of the two divinties of Ashvin* as well as Gaja, Gavaksha, Gavaya, Sharabha and Gandhamadhana the five sons of Yama the God of Death all of them resembling Yama at the time of dissolution of the world, the valiant ten crores of monkeys who are yearning for battle are all here. I cannot venture to tell about the remaining glorious sons of god."
The two divinities of Ashvin are said to appear in the sky before the dawn in a golden carriage drawn by horses or birds, they bring treasures to men and avert misfortune and sickness; they are considered as the physicians of heaven.
पुत्रो दशरथस्येष सिम्हसम्हननो युवा |
दूषणो निहतो येन खरश्च त्रिशिरास्तथा || ६-३०-२८
28. eSaH = this; yuvaa = young man; (is Rama); dasharathasya = Dasaratha's; putraH = son; simha samhananaH = who is well-built like a lion; yena = by whom; duuSaNaH = Dushana; nihataH = was killed; tathaa = as also; kharashcha = Khara; trishiraaH = and Trishira.
"This young man is Rama, Dasartha's son, who is well-built like a lion, by whom Dushana ws killed as also Khara and Trishana.
नास्ति रामस्य सदृशो विक्रमे भुवि कश्चन |
विराधो निहतो येन कबन्धश्चान्तकोपमः || ६-३०-२९
29. naasti kashchana = there is no one; bhuvi = on earth; sadR^ishaH = who is equal; vikrame = in prowess; raamasya = to Rama; yena = by whom; viraadho = Viradha; nihataH = was killed; kabandhashcha = as also Kabandha; antakopamaH = who was equal to Yama.
"There is no one on earth who is equal in prowess to Rama, by whom Viradha was killed as also Kabandha who was equal to Yama."
वक्तुम् न शक्तो रामस्य गुणान् कश्चिन्नरः क्षितौ |
जनस्थानगता येन तावन्तो राक्षसा हताः || ६-३०-३०
30. na shaktaH naraH kashchit = No man is able; kSitau = on this earth; vaktum = to tell; guNaan = the qualities; raamasya = of Rama; yena = by whom; taavantaH = all raakshasaH = the demons; janasthaanagataaH = staying in Janasthana; hataaH = were killed.
"No man on this earth is able to narrate the qualities of Rama, by whom all the demons staying in Janasthana were killed."
लक्ष्मणश्चात्र धर्मात्मा मातङ्गवामिवर्षभः |
यस्य बाणपथम् प्राप्य व जीवेदपि वासवः || ६-३०-३१
31. praapya = having stood; yasya = on whose; baaNapatham = path of arrows; vaasavaH api = even Indra the Lord of celestials; na jiivet = could not survive; lakshmaNashcha = that Lakshamna; dharmaatmaa = the virtuous man; R^iSabhaH iva = resembling the most excellent of elephants; maataN^gaanaam = among elephants.
"Here too is the virtuous Lakshamana, resembling the most excellent elephant among elephants, in the path of whose arrows, even Indra the Lord of celestials himself could not survive
श्वेतो ज्योतिर् मुखः च अत्र भास्करस्य आत्म सम्भवौ |
वरुणस्य च पुत्रो अथ हेम कूटः प्लवम् गमः || ६-३०-३२
विश्व कर्म सुतो वीरो नलः प्लवग सत्तमः |
विक्रान्तो वेगवान् अत्र वसु पुत्रः सुदुर्धरः || ६-३०-३३
32; 33. shveta = Sweta; jyotirmukhashcha = and Jyotirmukha; aatmasambhavau = the sons; bhaaskarasya = of the sun-god; plavaN^gamaH = a monkey called; hemakuuTaH = Hemakuta; anyaH putraH = another son; varuNasya = of Varuna; nalaH = Nala; vishvakarmasutaH = the son of Vishvakarma; viiraH = the strong; plavN^gama sattamaH = and the best of monkeys; saH = (as well as) that; durdharaH = Durdhara; vasuputraH = the son of Vasus; vikraantaH = the mighty; vegavaan = and the swift; atra = are here.
"Sweta and Jyotirmukha, the sons of the sun-god, a monkey called Hemakuta, another son of Varuna, Nila the son of Visvakarma the strong and the best of monkeys, as well as that mighty and swift Durdhara the son of Vasus are all here."
राक्षसानाम् वरिष्ठः च तव भ्राता विभीषणः |
परिगृह्य पुरीम् लंकाम् राघवस्य हिते रतः|| ६-३०-३४
34. variSThashcha = there is the prince; raakSasaanaam = of demons; vibhiiSaNaH = Vibhishana; tava = your; bhraataa = brother; prtigR^ihya = who having secured; laN^kaam puriim = the city of Lanka; (as a prospective gift from Rama); rataH = remains devoted; hite = to be good; raaghavasya = of Rama.
"There is the prince of demons Vibhishana, your brother, who having secured the city of Lanka (as a prospective gift from Rama) remains devoted to the good of Rama."
इति सर्वम् समाख्यातम् तव इदम् वानरम् बलम् |
सुवेले अधिष्ठितम् शैले शेष कार्ये भवान् गतिः || ६-३०-३५
35. iti = thus; samaakhyaatam = has been; described; idam = about this; sarvam = entire; vaanaram balam = army of monkeys; adhiSThitam = stationed; suvele shaile = on the Mount Suvela; bhavaan = It is for you; gatiH = to decide; sheSakaarye = what remains to be done!.
"Thus, I have described about the entire army of monkeys stationed on the Mount Suvela. Now, it is for you to decide what remains to be done!"
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे त्रिंशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© May 2004, K. M. K. Murthy
What the world says about
This file uploaded by FREE Go FTP