Ravana reprimands Shuka and Sarana, asking them to leave the assembly. He again sends some spies to the place of Rama and Lakshmana. Those spies were got caught by Vibhishana and the monkeys start harassing them. But the compassionate Rama gets them released and the spies reach back Lanka.
शुकेन तु समाख्यातांस् तान् दृष्ट्वा हरि यूथपान् |
लक्ष्मणम् च महावीर्यम् भुजम् रामस्य दक्षिणम् || २-२९-१
समीपस्थम् च रामस्य भ्रातरम् स्वम् विभीषणम् |
सर्व वानर राजम् च सुग्रीवम् भीम विक्रमम् || २-२९-२
अङ्गदम् चापि बलिनम् वज्रहस्तात्मजात्मजम् |
हनूमन्तम् च विक्रान्तम् जाम्बवन्तम् च दुर्जयम् || २-२९-३
सुषेणम् कुमुदम् नीलम् नलम् च प्लवगर्षभम् |
गजम् गवाक्षम् शरभम् वैन्दम् च द्विविदम् तथा || २-२९-४
किंचिद् आविग्न हृदयो जात क्रोधः च रावणः |
भर्त्सयाम् आस तौ वीरौ कथा अन्ते शुक सारणौ || २-२९-५
1; 2; 3; 4; 5. dR^iSTvaa = beholding; hariyuuthapaan = those foremost of monkey-leaders; samaadiSTaan = shown; shukena = Shuka; mahaaviiryam = the most valiant; lakshmaNamcha = Lakshmana; raamasya = Rama's; dakSiNambhujam = right arm; bhraataram = his own brother; vibhiiSaNam = Vibhishana; samiipastham = standing close; raamasya = to Rama; bhiimavikramam = the terribly powerful; sugriivamcha = Sugreeva; sarvavaanararaajam = the king of all monkeys; balinam = the strong; aN^gadam chaapi = Angada; vajra hastaatmajaatmajam = grand son of Indra; the Bearer of the Thunder bolt; vikraantam = the powerful; hanuumantam = Hanuman; durjayam = the invincible; jaambavantam = Jambavan; suSeNam = Sushena; kumudam = Kumuda; niilam = Nila; nalamcha = Nala; plavagarSabham = the excellent of monkeys; gajam = Gaja; gavaakSam = Gavaksha; sharabham = Sharabha; maindam = Mainda; tathaa = and; dvividam = Divivida; saHraavaNaH = that Ravana; aavigna hR^idayaH = his heart agitated; kimchit = a little; jaatakrodhashcha = became enraged; bhartsayaamaasa = abused; tau = those two; viirau = heroes; shuka saaraNau = Shika and Sarana; kathaante = who had completed their report.
Beholding those foremost of monkey leaders pointed out by Shuka- the most valiant Lakshmana; Rama's right arm, his own brother Vibhishana standing close to Rama, the terribly powerful Sugreeva the king of all monkeys, the strong Angada grandson of Indra the wielder of thunderbolt, the powerful Hanuman, the imincible Jambavan, Sushena, Kumuda, Nila, Nala the excellent of monkeys, Gaja, Gavaksha, Sharabha, Mainda and Dvivida- that Ravana - his heart became agitated a little, was enraged and then abused those two heroes Shuka and Sarana who had completed their report.
अधो मुखौ तौ प्रणताव् अब्रवीत् शुक सारणौ |
रोष गद्गदया वाचा सम्रब्धः परुषम् वचः || २-२९-६
6. (Ravana) abraviit = spoke; tau = to those; shuka saaraNau = Shuka and Sarana; praNatau = who saluted; adhomukhau = with their faces bent donw; vaachaa = in a voice; roSagadgadayaa = choked in anger; samrabdham = excited; tathaa = and paruSam = and harsh.
Ravana spoke (the following) excited and harsh words, in a voice choked in anger to Shuka and Sarana who stood saluting with their faces bent down.
न तावत् सदृशम् नाम सचिवैर् उपजीविभिः |
विप्रियम् नृपतेर् वक्तुम् निग्रह प्रग्रहे विभोः || २-२९-७
7. na taavatnaama = It is not; sadR^isham = befitting; vaktum = to utter; vipriyam = unpleasant words; upajivibhiH = by dependent; sachivaiH = ministers; nR^ipate = to their king; prabhoH = who has the power; nigrahe = to mete out punishment; pragrahe = or reward.
"It is not befitting to utter unpleasant words by dependent ministers to their king who has the power to mete out any punishment or reward."
रिपूणाम् प्रतिकूलानाम् युद्ध अर्थम् अभिवर्तताम् |
उभाभ्याम् सदृशम् नाम वक्तुम् अप्रस्तवे स्तवम् || २-२९-८
8. sadR^isham naama = Is it proper; vaktum = to utter; stavam = praise; vipuuNaam = of the enemies; pratikuulaanaam = who are adverse to us; abhivartataam = and who are coming; yuddhartham = for war; ubhaabhyaam = by both of you; aprastave = irrelevantly?
"Is it proper for both of you to shower irrelevant praise on our enemies who are adverse to us and are approaching for a war?"
आचार्या गुरवो वृद्धा वृथा वाम् पर्युपासिताः |
सारम् यद् राज शास्त्राणाम् अनुजीव्यम् न गृह्यते || २-२९-९
9. vR^ithaa = in vain; paryupaasitaaH = have you sat at the feet; aachaaryaaH = of your elders; guravaH = and your preceptors; vR^iddhaaH = and the aged; yat = since; saaram = the essence; anujiivyam = to be followed; raaja shastraaNaam = from political sciences; nagR^ihyate = has not been grasped; vaam = by both of you.
"In vain have you sat at the feet of your elders, your preceptors and the aged, since the essence to be followed from political sciences has not been grasped by both of you."
गृहीतो वा न विज्ञातो भारो ज्ञानस्य वा उच्यते |
ईदृशैः सचिवैर् युक्तो मूर्खैर् दिष्ट्या धरामि अहम् || २-२९-१०
10. grahitaH = or if you have imbibed them; na vijJNaato raa = you have not remembered them; vaahyate vaa bhaaraH = you are over-burdened; ajJNaanasya = with ignorance; yuktaH = being associated; iidR^ishaiH = with such; sachiraiH = ministers; murkhaiH = who are fools; diSTyaa = it is a miracle; aham (that) I; dharaami = I am able to retain my sovereignity.
"Or if you have imbibed them, you have not remembered them. You are over-burdened with ignorance! Being associated with such foolish ministers, it is a miracle that I am still able to retain my sovereignty."
किम् नु मृत्योर् भयम् न अस्ति माम् वक्तुम् परुषम् वचः |
यस्य मे शासतो जिह्वा प्रयच्चति शुभ अशुभम् || २-२९-११
11. naasti kimnu = have you no; bhayam = fear; mR^ityoH = of death; vaktum = to speak; paruSam = (such) rude; vachaH = words; maam = to me; prayachchhati = who dispenses; shubhaashubham = good and evil; yasyame = by my; jihvaa = tongue; shaasataH = which commands.
"Have you no fear of death that you dare address me thus rudely, I whose tongue that you dare tongue dispenses good and evil?"
अपि एव दहनम् स्पृष्ट्वा वने तिष्ठन्ति पादपाः |
राज दोष परामृष्टास् तिष्ठन्ते न अपराधिनः || २-२९-१२
12. paadapaaH = trees; tiSThanti = survive; vane = in the forest; spR^iSTvaa apyaiva = even if disturbed; dahanam = by fire; (But); aparaadhinaH = the guilty; na tiSThante = cannot survive; raja daN^DaparaamR^iSTaaH = if touched by the royal scepter.
"Trees may survive in the forest, even if disturbed by fire. But the guilty cannot survive, if touched by the royal scepter."
हन्याम् अहम् इमौ पापौ शत्रु पक्ष प्रशंसकौ |
यदि पूर्व उपकारैर् मे न क्रोधो मृदुताम् व्रजेत् || २-२९-१३
13. yadi = If; me = my; krodhaH = anger; na vrajet mR^idutaam = is not softened; puurvopakaaraiH = by the services they rendered earlier; aham = I; hanyaam = would have killed; imau paapau = these two miscreants; satrupakSaprashamsinau = who are praising the band of enemies.
"If my anger is not softened by the services they rendered earlier, I would have killed thse two miscreants who are praising the band of enemies."
अपध्वंसत गच्चध्वम् सम्निकर्षाद् इतो मम |
न हि वाम् हन्तुम् इच्चामि स्मरन्न् उपकृतानि वाम् || २-२९-१४
हताव् एव कृतघ्नौ तौ मयि स्नेह परान् मुखौ |
14. apadhvamsata = keep away; mama = from my; itaH = this; samnikarSaat = neighbourhood; na shyadhvam = do not be seen anywhere here; smaraani = I am recollectin; vaam = your; upakR^itaani = services; na ichchhaami = I do not wish; hantum = to kill; vaam = you; dvau = both of you; kR^itaghnau = who are ungrateful; snehaparaaN^mukhau = and affection-less; mayi = towards me; hataaveva = are just as dead.
"Keep away from my neighbourhood. Do not be seen anywhere here. I am recollecting your past services and hence do not wish to kill you. Both of you, who are ungrateful and unfaithful towards me, are just as dead to me."
एवम् उक्तौ तु सव्रीडौ ताव् उभौ शुक सारणौ || २-२९-१५
रावणम् जय शब्देन प्रतिनन्द्य अभिनिह्सृतौ |
15. tau shukasaariNau = those Shuka and Sarana; evam = thus; uktau = told; savriidau = they were ashamed; dR^iSTvaa = having seen; raavaNam = Ravana; niHsR^itau = and went away; pratinandya = having enlogised; jayashabdena = with words of victory.
Hearing Ravana's words, Shuka and Sarana felt ashamed to see Ravana paid obeisance to him saying, "Be thou victorious!" and went away.
अब्रवीत् स दशग्रीवः समीपस्थम् महाउदरम् || २-२९-१६
उपस्थापय शीघ्रम् मे चारान् नीति विशारदान् |
16. nishaacharaH = the deomon; dashagriivaH = Ravana; abraviit = spoke; mahodaram = to Mahodara; samipastham = who was standing nearby (as follows):- upasthaaya = bring; me = me; chaaraan = spies; shiighram = quickly.
The demon Ravana spoke to Mahodara who was standing nearby as follows: "Bring me the spies here quickly."
महोदरस्तथोक्तस्तु शीघ्रमाज्ञापयच्चरान् || २-२९-१७
ततश्चाराः सम्त्वरिताः प्राप्ताः पार्थिवशासनात् |
उपस्थिथाः प्राञ्जलयो वर्धयित्वा जयाशिषः || २-२९-१८
17; 18. mehodaraH = Mahodara; tathaa = thus; uktaH = spoken; shiighram = quickly; aajJNaapayat = ordered; charaan = for the spies; tataH = then; chaaraaH = the spies; praaptaaH = who came; samtvaritaaH = hurriedly; paarthiva shaasanat = as per the order of the king; praaJNjalayaH = paid obeisance by joining their palms; upasthitaaH = and approached; vadhayitvaa = having felicitated (Ravana); jayaashiSaH = expressing their desire to see him victorious.
Hearing those words, Mahodara immediately ordered for the spies. The spies came hurriedly as per the orders of the king, paid obeisance to him by joining their palms and approached him, having made a complement expressing their desire to see him victorious.
तान् अब्रवीत् ततो वाक्यम् रावणो राक्षस अधिपः || २-२९-१९
चारान् प्रत्ययिकान् शूरान् भक्तान् विगत साध्वसान् |
19. tataH = then; raavaNaH = Ravana; raakshasaadhipaH = the king of demons; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = (these) words; taan charaan = to those spies; praatyayikam = who were faithful; shuuraan = brave; dhiiraan = energetic; vigata saadhvasaan = and free from fear.
Then, Ravana the king of demons spoke the following words to those spies, who were faithful, brave, energetic and free from fear:
इतो गच्चत रामस्य व्यवसायम् परीक्षथ || २-२९-२०
मन्त्रेष्व् अभ्यन्तरा ये अस्य प्रीत्या तेन समागताः |
20. gachchhata = you go; itaH = from here; pariikshitum = to investigate; vyavasaayam = about the first impression; raamasya = about Rama; ye = (as regards) who; abhyantaraaH = are the intimate friends; asya = to him; samaagataaH = and those who joined; tena = with him; priityaa = in affection.
"You go from here to investigate about the first impression concerning Rama, as regards who are his intimate friends and in respect of those who joined on his side with a liking towards him."
कथम् स्वपिति जागर्ति किम् अन्यच् च करिष्यति || २-२९-२१
विज्ञाय निपुणम् सर्वम् आगन्तव्यम् अशेषतः |
21. katham = how; (is he); svapiti = sleeping? Jaagarti = and waking up? Kim = what; kariSyati = will he do; adya = now? Aagantavyam = you ought to come; vijJNaaya = after acquainting with; sarvam = all this; asheSaaH = completely; nipuNam = and skillfully.
"Find out what are his hours of sleeping and waking and what he intends to do next. You ought to come here, after acquainting with all this information completely and skillfully."
चारेण विदितः शत्रुः पण्डितैर् वसुधा अधिपैः || २-२९-२२
युद्धे स्वल्पेन यत्नेन समासाद्य निरस्यते |
22. vasudhaadhipaiH = by kings; paNDitaiH = who are shrewd; shatruH = an enemy; yuddhe = in battle; samaasaadhya = who is got; chaareNa = through spies; nirasyate = will be defeated; svalpena = with a little; yatnena = of effort.
"An enemy in battle, got known through spies by kings, will be defeated with only a little of effort."
चारास् तु ते तथा इति उक्त्वा प्रहृष्टा राक्षस ईश्वरम् || २-२९-२३
शार्दूलमग्रतः कृत्वा ततश्चक्रुः प्रदक्षिणम् |
23. te = those; chaaraastu = spies on their part; prahR^iSTaaH = were delighted; uktvaa = spoke; tatheti = "May it be so"; kR^itvaa = kept; shaarduulam = Shardula; agrataH = in front; chakruH = and made; pradakshiNam = clockwise circumambulation; raakshasesvaram = around Ravana.
Those spies on their part delightfully replied, "May it be so", kept Shardula in their front and made their circumambulation clockwise around Ravana.
ततस्तम् तु महात्मानम् चारा राक्षससत्तमम् || २-२९-२४
कृत्वा प्रदक्षिणम् जग्मुर् यत्र रामः सलक्ष्मणः |
24. tataH = then; chaaraaH = the spies; pradakSiNam kR^itvaa = having made the circumambulation; (around); tam = that; raakSasa sattamam = excellent demon; mahaatmaanam = the distinguished; jagmuH = and went; yatra = to the place where; raamaH = Rama; salakSmaNaH = along with Lakshmana (were there).
Having thus made circumambulation to Ravana the excellent and the distinguished demon, the spies went to the place where Rama along with Lakshmana were there.
ते सुवेलस्य शैलस्य समीपे राम लक्ष्मणौ || २-२९-२५
प्रच्चन्ना ददृशुर् गत्वा ससुग्रीव विभीषणौ |
25. gatvaa = having gone; prachchhannaaH = in a disguised manner; te = they; dadR^ishuH = saw; raamalakshmaNau = Rama and Lakshman; sa sugriiva vibhiiSaNau = together with Sugreeva and Vibhishana; saniipe = in the vicinity; suvelasya shailasya = of mountain Suvela.
Having gone in a disguised manner, those spies saw Rama and Lakshman together with Sugreeva and Vibhishana in the neighbourhood of Mountain Suvela.
प्रेक्षमाणाश्चमूम् ताम् च बभूवुर्भयविह्वलाः || २-२९-२६
ते तु धर्म आत्मना दृष्टा राक्षस इन्द्रेण राक्षसाः |
26. prekshamaaNaaH = seeing; taam chamuum = that army; te raakshasaaH = those demons; babhuuvuH = became; bhayavihvalaaH = overwhelmed with fear; dR^iSTaaH = and were observed; raakshasendreNa = by Vibhishana the Lord of demons; dharmaatmanaa = the high-souled.
Seeing that army, those demons became overwhelmed with fear. However, they were observed by the high-souled Vibhishana the Lord of demons.
विभीषणेन तत्रस्था निगृहीता यदृच्चया || २-२९-२७
शार्दूलो ग्राहितस्त्वेकः पापोऽयमिति राक्षसः |
27. yard^ichchhayaa = accidentally; tatrasthaaH = the demons there; nigR^ihiitaaH = were caught; vibhiiSaNena = by Vibhishana; iti = saying that; ayam = this; raakSasaH = demon; paapaH = was a wicked person; shaarduulaH tu = Shardula; ekaH = alone; graahitaH = was got seized.
Accidentally, the deomons there were caught by Vibhishana, who said that the demon Shardula among them was wicked and got him alone seized.
मोक्षितः सोऽपि रामेण वध्यमानः प्लवङ्गमैः || २-२९-२८
अनृशंसेन रामेण मोक्षिता राक्षसाः सरे |
28. so.api = that Shardula also; vadhyamaanaH = who was about to be killed; plavaN^gamaiH = by the monkeys; mochitaH = was got released; raameNa = by Rama; pare = the other; raakSasaaH = demons; mokSitaaH = wee got released; raameNa = by Rama; anR^ishamsena = the kind man.
That Shardula also, who was going to be killed by the monkeys, was got released by Rama. The other demons also were got released by Rama, the kind man.
वानरैर् अर्दितास् ते तु विक्रान्तैर् लघु विक्रमैः || २-२९-२९
पुनर् लंकाम् अनुप्राप्ताः श्वसन्तो नष्ट चेतसः |
29. te = those demons; arditaaH = harassed; vaanaraiH = by the monkeys; vikraantaiH = the courageous; laghuvikramaiH = and the quick-footed; naSTachetasaH = became insensible; shvasantaH = heaved a sigh; anupraaptaaH = and reached; laN^kaam = Lanka; punaH = again.
Those demons, harassed by the courageous and the quick-paced monkeys, became insensible, heaved a sigh and reached back Lanka.
ततो दशग्रीवम् उपस्थितास् ते |
चारा बहिर् नित्य चरा निशा चराः |
गिरेः सुवेलस्य समीप वासिनम् |
न्यवेदयन् भीम बलम् महाबलाः || २-२९-३०
30. chaaraaH = (those) spies; nityacharaaH = mahaabalaaH = valiant; nishaacharaaH = rangers of the night; tataH = thereafter; upasthitaaH = approached; dashagriivam = Ravana; nyavedayan = and informed him; raama balam = that Rama's army; samiipavaasinam = was camping in the vicinity; suvelasya = of the Suvela mountain.
Those spies, who always wander outside and who were valiant rangers of the night, thereafter approached Ravana and informed him that Rama's army was camping in the vicinity of the Suvela mountain.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे एकोनत्रिंशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© May 2004, K. M. K. Murthy
who and verse
Secure SFTP on the planet FREE Go FTP Software