Ravana reprimands Shuka and Sarana, asking them to leave the assembly. He again sends some spies to the place of Rama and Lakshmana. Those spies were got caught by Vibhishana and the monkeys start harassing them. But the compassionate Rama gets them released and the spies reach back Lanka.
śukena tu samākhyātāṃs tān dṛṣṭvā hari yūthapān |
lakṣmaṇam ca mahāvīryam bhujam rāmasya dakṣiṇam || 2-29-1
samīpastham ca rāmasya bhrātaram svam vibhīṣaṇam |
sarva vānara rājam ca sugrīvam bhīma vikramam || 2-29-2
aṅgadam cāpi balinam vajrahastātmajātmajam |
hanūmantam ca vikrāntam jāmbavantam ca durjayam || 2-29-3
suṣeṇam kumudam nīlam nalam ca plavagarṣabham |
gajam gavākṣam śarabham vaindam ca dvividam tathā || 2-29-4
kiṃcid āvigna hṛdayo jāta krodhaḥ ca rāvaṇaḥ |
bhartsayām āsa tau vīrau kathā ante śuka sāraṇau || 2-29-5
1; 2; 3; 4; 5. dR^iSTvaa = beholding; hariyuuthapaan = those foremost of monkey-leaders; samaadiSTaan = shown; shukena = Shuka; mahaaviiryam = the most valiant; lakshmaNamcha = Lakshmana; raamasya = Rama's; dakSiNambhujam = right arm; bhraataram = his own brother; vibhiiSaNam = Vibhishana; samiipastham = standing close; raamasya = to Rama; bhiimavikramam = the terribly powerful; sugriivamcha = Sugreeva; sarvavaanararaajam = the king of all monkeys; balinam = the strong; aN^gadam chaapi = Angada; vajra hastaatmajaatmajam = grand son of Indra; the Bearer of the Thunder bolt; vikraantam = the powerful; hanuumantam = Hanuman; durjayam = the invincible; jaambavantam = Jambavan; suSeNam = Sushena; kumudam = Kumuda; niilam = Nila; nalamcha = Nala; plavagarSabham = the excellent of monkeys; gajam = Gaja; gavaakSam = Gavaksha; sharabham = Sharabha; maindam = Mainda; tathaa = and; dvividam = Divivida; saHraavaNaH = that Ravana; aavigna hR^idayaH = his heart agitated; kimchit = a little; jaatakrodhashcha = became enraged; bhartsayaamaasa = abused; tau = those two; viirau = heroes; shuka saaraNau = Shika and Sarana; kathaante = who had completed their report.
Beholding those foremost of monkey leaders pointed out by Shuka- the most valiant Lakshmana; Rama's right arm, his own brother Vibhishana standing close to Rama, the terribly powerful Sugreeva the king of all monkeys, the strong Angada grandson of Indra the wielder of thunderbolt, the powerful Hanuman, the imincible Jambavan, Sushena, Kumuda, Nila, Nala the excellent of monkeys, Gaja, Gavaksha, Sharabha, Mainda and Dvivida- that Ravana - his heart became agitated a little, was enraged and then abused those two heroes Shuka and Sarana who had completed their report.
adho mukhau tau praṇatāv abravīt śuka sāraṇau |
roṣa gadgadayā vācā samrabdhaḥ paruṣam vacaḥ || 2-29-6
6. (Ravana) abraviit = spoke; tau = to those; shuka saaraNau = Shuka and Sarana; praNatau = who saluted; adhomukhau = with their faces bent donw; vaachaa = in a voice; roSagadgadayaa = choked in anger; samrabdham = excited; tathaa = and paruSam = and harsh.
Ravana spoke (the following) excited and harsh words, in a voice choked in anger to Shuka and Sarana who stood saluting with their faces bent down.
na tāvat sadṛśam nāma sacivair upajīvibhiḥ |
vipriyam nṛpater vaktum nigraha pragrahe vibhoḥ || 2-29-7
7. na taavatnaama = It is not; sadR^isham = befitting; vaktum = to utter; vipriyam = unpleasant words; upajivibhiH = by dependent; sachivaiH = ministers; nR^ipate = to their king; prabhoH = who has the power; nigrahe = to mete out punishment; pragrahe = or reward.
"It is not befitting to utter unpleasant words by dependent ministers to their king who has the power to mete out any punishment or reward."
ripūṇām pratikūlānām yuddha artham abhivartatām |
ubhābhyām sadṛśam nāma vaktum aprastave stavam || 2-29-8
8. sadR^isham naama = Is it proper; vaktum = to utter; stavam = praise; vipuuNaam = of the enemies; pratikuulaanaam = who are adverse to us; abhivartataam = and who are coming; yuddhartham = for war; ubhaabhyaam = by both of you; aprastave = irrelevantly?
"Is it proper for both of you to shower irrelevant praise on our enemies who are adverse to us and are approaching for a war?"
ācāryā guravo vṛddhā vṛthā vām paryupāsitāḥ |
sāram yad rāja śāstrāṇām anujīvyam na gṛhyate || 2-29-9
9. vR^ithaa = in vain; paryupaasitaaH = have you sat at the feet; aachaaryaaH = of your elders; guravaH = and your preceptors; vR^iddhaaH = and the aged; yat = since; saaram = the essence; anujiivyam = to be followed; raaja shastraaNaam = from political sciences; nagR^ihyate = has not been grasped; vaam = by both of you.
"In vain have you sat at the feet of your elders, your preceptors and the aged, since the essence to be followed from political sciences has not been grasped by both of you."
gṛhīto vā na vijñāto bhāro jñānasya vā ucyate |
īdṛśaiḥ sacivair yukto mūrkhair diṣṭyā dharāmi aham || 2-29-10
10. grahitaH = or if you have imbibed them; na vijJNaato raa = you have not remembered them; vaahyate vaa bhaaraH = you are over-burdened; ajJNaanasya = with ignorance; yuktaH = being associated; iidR^ishaiH = with such; sachiraiH = ministers; murkhaiH = who are fools; diSTyaa = it is a miracle; aham (that) I; dharaami = I am able to retain my sovereignity.
"Or if you have imbibed them, you have not remembered them. You are over-burdened with ignorance! Being associated with such foolish ministers, it is a miracle that I am still able to retain my sovereignty."
kim nu mṛtyor bhayam na asti mām vaktum paruṣam vacaḥ |
yasya me śāsato jihvā prayaccati śubha aśubham || 2-29-11
11. naasti kimnu = have you no; bhayam = fear; mR^ityoH = of death; vaktum = to speak; paruSam = (such) rude; vachaH = words; maam = to me; prayachchhati = who dispenses; shubhaashubham = good and evil; yasyame = by my; jihvaa = tongue; shaasataH = which commands.
"Have you no fear of death that you dare address me thus rudely, I whose tongue that you dare tongue dispenses good and evil?"
api eva dahanam spṛṣṭvā vane tiṣṭhanti pādapāḥ |
rāja doṣa parāmṛṣṭās tiṣṭhante na aparādhinaḥ || 2-29-12
12. paadapaaH = trees; tiSThanti = survive; vane = in the forest; spR^iSTvaa apyaiva = even if disturbed; dahanam = by fire; (But); aparaadhinaH = the guilty; na tiSThante = cannot survive; raja daN^DaparaamR^iSTaaH = if touched by the royal scepter.
"Trees may survive in the forest, even if disturbed by fire. But the guilty cannot survive, if touched by the royal scepter."
hanyām aham imau pāpau śatru pakṣa praśaṃsakau |
yadi pūrva upakārair me na krodho mṛdutām vrajet || 2-29-13
13. yadi = If; me = my; krodhaH = anger; na vrajet mR^idutaam = is not softened; puurvopakaaraiH = by the services they rendered earlier; aham = I; hanyaam = would have killed; imau paapau = these two miscreants; satrupakSaprashamsinau = who are praising the band of enemies.
"If my anger is not softened by the services they rendered earlier, I would have killed thse two miscreants who are praising the band of enemies."
apadhvaṃsata gaccadhvam samnikarṣād ito mama |
na hi vām hantum iccāmi smarann upakṛtāni vām || 2-29-14
hatāv eva kṛtaghnau tau mayi sneha parān mukhau |
14. apadhvamsata = keep away; mama = from my; itaH = this; samnikarSaat = neighbourhood; na shyadhvam = do not be seen anywhere here; smaraani = I am recollectin; vaam = your; upakR^itaani = services; na ichchhaami = I do not wish; hantum = to kill; vaam = you; dvau = both of you; kR^itaghnau = who are ungrateful; snehaparaaN^mukhau = and affection-less; mayi = towards me; hataaveva = are just as dead.
"Keep away from my neighbourhood. Do not be seen anywhere here. I am recollecting your past services and hence do not wish to kill you. Both of you, who are ungrateful and unfaithful towards me, are just as dead to me."
evam uktau tu savrīḍau tāv ubhau śuka sāraṇau || 2-29-15
rāvaṇam jaya śabdena pratinandya abhinihsṛtau |
15. tau shukasaariNau = those Shuka and Sarana; evam = thus; uktau = told; savriidau = they were ashamed; dR^iSTvaa = having seen; raavaNam = Ravana; niHsR^itau = and went away; pratinandya = having enlogised; jayashabdena = with words of victory.
Hearing Ravana's words, Shuka and Sarana felt ashamed to see Ravana paid obeisance to him saying, "Be thou victorious!" and went away.
abravīt sa daśagrīvaḥ samīpastham mahāudaram || 2-29-16
upasthāpaya śīghram me cārān nīti viśāradān |
16. nishaacharaH = the deomon; dashagriivaH = Ravana; abraviit = spoke; mahodaram = to Mahodara; samipastham = who was standing nearby (as follows):- upasthaaya = bring; me = me; chaaraan = spies; shiighram = quickly.
The demon Ravana spoke to Mahodara who was standing nearby as follows: "Bring me the spies here quickly."
mahodarastathoktastu śīghramājñāpayaccarān || 2-29-17
tataścārāḥ samtvaritāḥ prāptāḥ pārthivaśāsanāt |
upasthithāḥ prāñjalayo vardhayitvā jayāśiṣaḥ || 2-29-18
17; 18. mehodaraH = Mahodara; tathaa = thus; uktaH = spoken; shiighram = quickly; aajJNaapayat = ordered; charaan = for the spies; tataH = then; chaaraaH = the spies; praaptaaH = who came; samtvaritaaH = hurriedly; paarthiva shaasanat = as per the order of the king; praaJNjalayaH = paid obeisance by joining their palms; upasthitaaH = and approached; vadhayitvaa = having felicitated (Ravana); jayaashiSaH = expressing their desire to see him victorious.
Hearing those words, Mahodara immediately ordered for the spies. The spies came hurriedly as per the orders of the king, paid obeisance to him by joining their palms and approached him, having made a complement expressing their desire to see him victorious.
tān abravīt tato vākyam rāvaṇo rākṣasa adhipaḥ || 2-29-19
cārān pratyayikān śūrān bhaktān vigata sādhvasān |
19. tataH = then; raavaNaH = Ravana; raakshasaadhipaH = the king of demons; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = (these) words; taan charaan = to those spies; praatyayikam = who were faithful; shuuraan = brave; dhiiraan = energetic; vigata saadhvasaan = and free from fear.
Then, Ravana the king of demons spoke the following words to those spies, who were faithful, brave, energetic and free from fear:
ito gaccata rāmasya vyavasāyam parīkṣatha || 2-29-20
mantreṣv abhyantarā ye asya prītyā tena samāgatāḥ |
20. gachchhata = you go; itaH = from here; pariikshitum = to investigate; vyavasaayam = about the first impression; raamasya = about Rama; ye = (as regards) who; abhyantaraaH = are the intimate friends; asya = to him; samaagataaH = and those who joined; tena = with him; priityaa = in affection.
"You go from here to investigate about the first impression concerning Rama, as regards who are his intimate friends and in respect of those who joined on his side with a liking towards him."
katham svapiti jāgarti kim anyac ca kariṣyati || 2-29-21
vijñāya nipuṇam sarvam āgantavyam aśeṣataḥ |
21. katham = how; (is he); svapiti = sleeping? Jaagarti = and waking up? Kim = what; kariSyati = will he do; adya = now? Aagantavyam = you ought to come; vijJNaaya = after acquainting with; sarvam = all this; asheSaaH = completely; nipuNam = and skillfully.
"Find out what are his hours of sleeping and waking and what he intends to do next. You ought to come here, after acquainting with all this information completely and skillfully."
cāreṇa viditaḥ śatruḥ paṇḍitair vasudhā adhipaiḥ || 2-29-22
yuddhe svalpena yatnena samāsādya nirasyate |
22. vasudhaadhipaiH = by kings; paNDitaiH = who are shrewd; shatruH = an enemy; yuddhe = in battle; samaasaadhya = who is got; chaareNa = through spies; nirasyate = will be defeated; svalpena = with a little; yatnena = of effort.
"An enemy in battle, got known through spies by kings, will be defeated with only a little of effort."
cārās tu te tathā iti uktvā prahṛṣṭā rākṣasa īśvaram || 2-29-23
śārdūlamagrataḥ kṛtvā tataścakruḥ pradakṣiṇam |
23. te = those; chaaraastu = spies on their part; prahR^iSTaaH = were delighted; uktvaa = spoke; tatheti = "May it be so"; kR^itvaa = kept; shaarduulam = Shardula; agrataH = in front; chakruH = and made; pradakshiNam = clockwise circumambulation; raakshasesvaram = around Ravana.
Those spies on their part delightfully replied, "May it be so", kept Shardula in their front and made their circumambulation clockwise around Ravana.
tatastam tu mahātmānam cārā rākṣasasattamam || 2-29-24
kṛtvā pradakṣiṇam jagmur yatra rāmaḥ salakṣmaṇaḥ |
24. tataH = then; chaaraaH = the spies; pradakSiNam kR^itvaa = having made the circumambulation; (around); tam = that; raakSasa sattamam = excellent demon; mahaatmaanam = the distinguished; jagmuH = and went; yatra = to the place where; raamaH = Rama; salakSmaNaH = along with Lakshmana (were there).
Having thus made circumambulation to Ravana the excellent and the distinguished demon, the spies went to the place where Rama along with Lakshmana were there.
te suvelasya śailasya samīpe rāma lakṣmaṇau || 2-29-25
praccannā dadṛśur gatvā sasugrīva vibhīṣaṇau |
25. gatvaa = having gone; prachchhannaaH = in a disguised manner; te = they; dadR^ishuH = saw; raamalakshmaNau = Rama and Lakshman; sa sugriiva vibhiiSaNau = together with Sugreeva and Vibhishana; saniipe = in the vicinity; suvelasya shailasya = of mountain Suvela.
Having gone in a disguised manner, those spies saw Rama and Lakshman together with Sugreeva and Vibhishana in the neighbourhood of Mountain Suvela.
prekṣamāṇāścamūm tām ca babhūvurbhayavihvalāḥ || 2-29-26
te tu dharma ātmanā dṛṣṭā rākṣasa indreṇa rākṣasāḥ |
26. prekshamaaNaaH = seeing; taam chamuum = that army; te raakshasaaH = those demons; babhuuvuH = became; bhayavihvalaaH = overwhelmed with fear; dR^iSTaaH = and were observed; raakshasendreNa = by Vibhishana the Lord of demons; dharmaatmanaa = the high-souled.
Seeing that army, those demons became overwhelmed with fear. However, they were observed by the high-souled Vibhishana the Lord of demons.
vibhīṣaṇena tatrasthā nigṛhītā yadṛccayā || 2-29-27
śārdūlo grāhitastvekaḥ pāpo.ayamiti rākṣasaḥ |
27. yard^ichchhayaa = accidentally; tatrasthaaH = the demons there; nigR^ihiitaaH = were caught; vibhiiSaNena = by Vibhishana; iti = saying that; ayam = this; raakSasaH = demon; paapaH = was a wicked person; shaarduulaH tu = Shardula; ekaH = alone; graahitaH = was got seized.
Accidentally, the deomons there were caught by Vibhishana, who said that the demon Shardula among them was wicked and got him alone seized.
mokṣitaḥ so.api rāmeṇa vadhyamānaḥ plavaṅgamaiḥ || 2-29-28
anṛśaṃsena rāmeṇa mokṣitā rākṣasāḥ sare |
28. so.api = that Shardula also; vadhyamaanaH = who was about to be killed; plavaN^gamaiH = by the monkeys; mochitaH = was got released; raameNa = by Rama; pare = the other; raakSasaaH = demons; mokSitaaH = wee got released; raameNa = by Rama; anR^ishamsena = the kind man.
That Shardula also, who was going to be killed by the monkeys, was got released by Rama. The other demons also were got released by Rama, the kind man.
vānarair arditās te tu vikrāntair laghu vikramaiḥ || 2-29-29
punar laṃkām anuprāptāḥ śvasanto naṣṭa cetasaḥ |
29. te = those demons; arditaaH = harassed; vaanaraiH = by the monkeys; vikraantaiH = the courageous; laghuvikramaiH = and the quick-footed; naSTachetasaH = became insensible; shvasantaH = heaved a sigh; anupraaptaaH = and reached; laN^kaam = Lanka; punaH = again.
Those demons, harassed by the courageous and the quick-paced monkeys, became insensible, heaved a sigh and reached back Lanka.
tato daśagrīvam upasthitās te |
cārā bahir nitya carā niśā carāḥ |
gireḥ suvelasya samīpa vāsinam |
nyavedayan bhīma balam mahābalāḥ || 2-29-30
30. chaaraaH = (those) spies; nityacharaaH = mahaabalaaH = valiant; nishaacharaaH = rangers of the night; tataH = thereafter; upasthitaaH = approached; dashagriivam = Ravana; nyavedayan = and informed him; raama balam = that Rama's army; samiipavaasinam = was camping in the vicinity; suvelasya = of the Suvela mountain.
Those spies, who always wander outside and who were valiant rangers of the night, thereafter approached Ravana and informed him that Rama's army was camping in the vicinity of the Suvela mountain.
- - - -
ityārṣe śrīmadrāmāyaṇe ādikāvye yuddhakāṇḍe ekonatriṃśaḥ sargaḥ
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© May 2004, K. M. K. Murthy
What the world says about
who and verse
Secure FTPS and FTPS on the planet Go FTP FREE Client