While Rama crossed over to the other shore of the sea, Ravana instructs his ministers, Suka and Sarana to enter the enemy's army in disguise and to bring all the required information about them. When Suka and Sarana entered the enemy's ranks, Vibhishana recognises and captures them. But Rama sets them free. Going back to Ravana, they explain the might strength of the enemy's ranks and exhort him to restore Seetha to Rama.
सबले सागरम् तीर्णे रामे दशरथ आत्मजे |
अमात्यौ रावणः श्रीमान् अब्रवीत् शुक सारणौ || ६-२५-१
1. raame = (While) Rama; dasharathaatmaje = the son of Dasaratha; tiirNe = crossed; saagaram = the ocean; sabale = along; with his army; shriimaan = the illustrious; raavaNaH = Ravana; abraviit = spoke; shukasaaraNau = to Shuka and sarana; amaatyau = his ministers (as follows)
While Rama, the son of Dasaratha, crossed the ocean along with his army, the illustrious Ravana spoke to Shuka and Sarana, his ministers as follows:
समग्रम् सागरम् तीर्णम् दुस्तरम् वानरम् बलम् |
अभूत पूर्वम् रामेण सागरे सेतु बन्धनम् || ६-२५-२
2. samagram = the entire; bala = army; vaanaram = of monkeys; tiiraNam = crossed; dustaram = the impassable; saagaram = ocean; abhuutapurvam = the unprecedented; setubandhanam = construction of the bridge; saagare = across the ocean (was done); raameNa = by Rama.
"The entire army of monkeys crossed the impassable ocean. The construction of the bridge, unprecedented, across the ocean was executed by Rama."
सागरे सेतु बन्धम् तु न श्रद्दध्याम् कथंचन |
अवश्यम् च अपि सम्ख्येयम् तन् मया वानरम् बलम् || ६-२५-३
3. na shraddhadhyaam = I am not able to believe; kathamchana = under any circumstances; tam = that; setubandham = construction of the bridge; saagare = across the ocean; avashyam = certainly; tat = that; vaanaram balam = army of monkeys; samkhyeyamcha = is worth to be conduted (carried weight); mayaa = by me.
"I am not able to believe under any circumstances that a pass-way has been constructed across the ocean. Certainly, that army of monkeys is worth to be counted (carried weight) by me."
भवन्तौ वानरम् सैन्यम् प्रविश्य अनुपलक्षितौ |
परिमाणम् च वीर्यम् च ये च मुख्याः प्लवम् गमाः || ६-२५-४
मन्त्रिणो ये च रामस्य सुग्रीवस्य च सम्मताः |
ये पूर्वम् अभिवर्तन्ते ये च शूराः प्लवम् गमाः || ६-२५-५
स च सेतुर् यथा बद्धः सागरे सलिल अर्णवे |
निवेशः च यथा तेषाम् वानराणाम् महात्मनाम् || ६-२५-६
रामस्य व्यवसायम् च वीर्यम् प्रहरणानि च |
लक्ष्मणस्य च वीरस्य तत्त्वतो ज्ञातुम् अर्हथ || ६-२५-७
4; 5; 6; 7. bhavantau = both of you; anupalakShitau = unperceived (to others); pravishya = enter; sainyam = the army; vaanaram = of monkeys; arhathaH = and ought; N^aatum = to know; tattvataH = actually; parimaaNamcha = the quantum of the army; viiryamcha = their prowess; ye = as to which; plavaN^gamaaH = monkeys; mukhyaaH = are important ones; ye = which; mantriNaH = ministers; raamasya = of Rama; sugriivasya cha = and of Sugreeva; sangataaH = have come together; ye = which; abhivartante = are abiding; puurvam = in front; ye = which; plavaNgamaa = monkeys; shuuraaH = are valiant; yathaa = how; saH = that; setuH = bridge; baddhaH = was constructed; saagare = across the ocean; salilaarNave = full of water; yathaa = how; nivesham = the encamping (is done); teSaam vaanaraaNaam = for those monkeys; mahaatmaanaam = the great souled; vyavasaayamcha = the determination; viiryam = the strength; praharaNaanicha = and the striking senses; raamasya = of Rama; viirasya = and of the heroic; lakshmaNasya = Lakshmana.
"Become unrecognisable to others, enter the army of monkeys and make out the real quantum of their army, their prowess, as to which monkeys are important among them, which ministers of Rama and Sugreeva have come together, which monkeys are abiding in front, which monkeys are valiant, how that bridge was constructed across the ocean full of water, how the encamping is done for those great-souled monkeys; the determination, strength and the striking senses of Rama and of the heroic Lakshmana."
कः च सेना पतिस् तेषाम् वानराणाम् महाओजसाम् |
एतज् ज्ञात्वा यथा तत्त्वम् शीघ्रम् अगन्तुम् अर्हथः || ६-२५-८
8. kaH = who; senaapatiH = is the chief of army; teSaam = of those; mahaatmanaam = high-souled; vaanaraaNaam = monkeys; N^aatvaa = knowing; tatcha = that also; yathaatattvam = actually; shiighram = and quickly; arhathaH = you ought; aagantum = to come.
"Knowing also accurately who the Chief of Army of those high-souled monkeys is, you have to come back quickly."
इति प्रतिसमादिष्टौ राक्षसौ शुक सारणौ |
हरि रूप धरौ वीरौ प्रविष्टौ वानरम् बलम् || ६-२५-९
9. pratipamaadiSTau = having thus been commanded; viirau = the valiant; raakSasau = demons; shukasaaraNau = Shuka and Sarana; hariruupadhaarau = both possessing the form of monkeys; praviSTau = entered; bala = (that) army; vaanaram = of monkeys.
Having thus been commanded by Ravana, the valiant demons Shuka and Sarana , both in the disguise of monkeys, entered that army of monkeys.
ततस् तद् वानरम् सैन्यम् अचिन्त्यम् लोम हर्षणम् |
सम्ख्यातुम् न अध्यगच्चेताम् तदा तौ शुक सारणौ || ६-२५-१०
10. tataH = thereafter; tau = those; shuka saaraNau = Shuka and Sarana; tadaa = then; naadhyagachchhetaam = were not able; samkhyaatum = to count; sainyam = the army; tat = of those; vaanaram = monkeys; achintyam = which was inconceivable; lomaharSaNam = and causing their hair to stand erect.
Shuka and Sarana were not able to count then that inconeviable army of monkeys, causing their hair to stand on end.
तत् स्थितम् पर्वत अग्रेषु निर्दरेषु गुहासु च |
समुद्रस्य च तीरेषु वनेषु उपवनेषु च || ६-२५-११
तरमाणम् च तीर्णम् च तर्तु कामम् च सर्वशः |
निविष्टम् निविशच् चैव भीम नादम् महाबलम् || ६-२५-१२
तद्बलार्णवमक्षोभ्यम् ददृशाते निशाचरौ |
11; 12. tat = that army; sthitam = was stationed; parvataagreSu = on the tops of mountains; nirjhareSu = round about the water-falls; guhaasucha = in the caves; tiireSu = on the shores; samudrasya = of the ocean; vaneSu = in the woodlands; upavaneSu = and in the gardens; taramaaNam = (It was either in) the process of crossing the ocen; tiirNam cha = or had crossed it; tartukaamamcha = or was intending to cross it; sarvashaH = in its entirety; niviSTam = (It had either) encamped; nivishachchaiva = or was still encamping; bhiima naadam = making a terrible noise; nishaacharau = the two demons; dadR^iSaate = saw; mahaabalam = that very stong; akSobhyam = and impeterbable; tadbalaarNavam = sea of army.
That army was stationed on the tops of mountains, round about the waterfalls, in the caves, on the sea-shores, in the woodlands and in the gardens. It was either in the process of crossing the ocean, or was intending to cross it in its entirety. It had either encamped or was still encamping, making a terrible noise. The two demons saw that very strong and imperturbable sea of army.
तौ ददर्श महातेजाः प्रच्चन्नौ च विभीषणः || ६-२५-१३
आचचक्षे अथ रामाय गृहीत्वा शुक सारणौ |
13. vibhiiSaNaH = Vibhishana; mahaatejaaH = with great splendour; dadarshau = beheld; tau = both of them; praticchannau = in disguise; saH = He; gR^ihiitva = laid hold of; shuka saaraNau = Shuka and Sarana; aacacakSe = and said; raamaaya = to Rama (as follows)
Vibhishana with great splendour beheld both of them in disguise. He caught hold of Shuka and Sarana and told Rama as follows:
तस्यैतौ राक्षसेन्द्रस्य मन्त्रिणौ शुक्सारणौ || ६-२५-१४
लंकायाः समनुप्राप्तौ चारौ पर पुरम् जयौ |
14. parapuramjaya = O; Rama the conqueror of hostile citadels!; etau = these; shukasaaraNau = Shuka and Sarana; mantriNau = the two miisters; tasya raakSasendrasya = of that Ravana; samanupraaptau = and came; caarau = as spies; laNkaayaaH = from Lanka.
"O, Rama the conqueror of hostile citadels! These two demons are Shuka and Sarana, the ministers of Ravana and they came here as spies from Lanka."
तौ दृष्ट्वा व्यथितौ रामम् निराशौ जीविते तदा || ६-२५-१५
कृत अन्जलि पुटौ भीतौ वचनम् च इदम् ऊचतुः |
15. tau = both of the them; dR^iSTvaa = having seen; vaamam = Rama; vyathitau = were trembled; tathaa = and ; niraashau = were without hope; jiivite = for their lives; bhiitau = were frightened; chedam = and; uuchatu = spoke; idam = these; vachanam = words; kR^itaaN^jalipuTau = having joined their palms.
Both of them, having seen Rama, were trembled with fear, without any hope for their lives and having joined their palms, spoke the following words:
आवाम् इह आगतौ सौम्य रावण प्रहिताव् उभौ || ६-२५-१६
परिज्ञातुम् बलम् कृत्स्नम् तव इदम् रघु नन्दन |
16. raghunandana = O; Rama! Saumya = O; excellent man! aavaam ubhau = we both; raavaNaprahitau = as sent by Ravana; aagatau = came; iha = here; parijJNaatum = to know; idam = this; tat = and that; sarvam = entire; balam = army.
"O, excellent man! O, Rama! We both of us, as sent by Ravana, came here together to know everything about your entire army."
तयोस् तद् वचनम् श्रुत्वा रामो दशरथ आत्मजः || ६-२५-१७
अब्रवीत् प्रहसन् वाक्यम् सर्व भूत हिते रतः |
17. raamaH = Rama; dasharathaatmajaH = the son of Dasaratha; rataH = who was interested; sarvabhuutahite = in the welfare of all being; shrutvaa = after hearing; tat = those; vachanam = words; tayoH = of them both; prahasan = simingly; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = (the following) words.
Hearing their aforesaid words, Rama the son of Dasaratha who was interested in the welfare of all beings, smilingly spoke the following words:
यदि दृष्टम् बलम् कृत्स्नम् वयम् वा सुसमीक्षिताः || ६-२५-१८
यथा उक्तम् वा कृतम् कार्यम् चन्दतः प्रतिगम्यताम् |
18. sarvam = (Has) the entire; balam = army; dR^iSTam = yadi = been seen? vayam susamiikSitaH vaa = have we been seen well? kaaryam kR^itam vaa = has the operation been accomplished; yathoktam = as instructed? pratigamyataam = you may go back; chandataH = according to your own wish.
"Has the entire army been observed by you? Have you observed us well? Have you accomplished the task, as entrusted to you? If so, you may go back now according to your free will."
अथ किंचिददृष्टम् वा भूयस्तद्द्रष्टुमर्हथः || ६-२५-१९
विभीषनो वा कार्त्स्न्येन पुनः संदर्शयिष्यति |
19. atha = or; adR^iSTam vaa = even if you have not seen; kimchit = something; arhathaH = you ought; draSTum = to see; tat = that; bhuuyaH = also; vaa = otherwise; vibhiiSaNaH = Vibhishana; samdarSayati = will show you; punaH = again; kaartsnyena = entirely.
"Even if you have not seen something you may see it now also. Otherwise, Vibhishana will show it to you again entirely."
न चेदम् ग्रहम् णम् प्रप्य भेतव्यम् जीवितम् प्रति || ६-२५-२०
व्यस्तशस्त्रौ गृहीतौ च न दूतौ वधमर्हतः |
20. praapya = having obtained; idam = this; grahaNam = seizure; nabhetavyam = you need not fear; jivitam prati = about your life; gR^ihiitau = the seized; ddutau = messengers; nyastashastrau = without weapons; arhataH = deserve; na vadham = no killing.
"You, having been caught, need not fear about your life. The captured messengers holding no weapons indeed deserve no killing."
प्रच्चन्नौ च विमुञ्चएमौ चारौ रात्रिंच रावुभौ || ६-२५-२१
शत्रुपक्षस्य सततम् विभीषण विकर्षिणौ |
21. vibhiSaNa = O; Vibhishana! satatam = always; vikarSaNau = draw; a bow-string; shatrupakSasya = on the opponents; vimuJNca = set free; ubhau = the two; raatrimaharau = deomns; chaarau = who are spies; pracchanau = in disguise.
"O, Vibhishana! Always try to draw a bow-string on the opponents and not on these two demons. Set them both, who are spies in disguise, free."
प्रविश्य नगरीम् लंकाम् भवद्भ्याम् धनद अनुजः || ६-२५-२२
वक्तव्यो रक्षसाम् राजा यथा उक्तम् वचनम् मम |
22. pravishya = after entering; laN^kaam nagariim = the city of Lanka; dhanadaanujaH = Ravana the younger half-brother of Kubera the god of riches; raajaa = and the king; rakSasaam = of demons; vaktavyaH = be told; bhavadbhyaam = by you; yathoktam = as told; mama vachanam = in my words.
"When you return to the city of Lanka, repeat my words faithfully to Ravana the younger half-brother of Kubera and the king of demons."
यद् बलम् च समाश्रित्य सीताम् मे हृतवान् असि || ६-२५-२३
तद् दर्शय यथा कामम् ससैन्यः सह बान्धवः |
23. yat = that; balam = force; samaashritya = on which you relied; hR^itavaan asi = when you were taking away; siitaam = Seetha; darshaya = display; yathaakaamam = at your will; tat = that force; sasainyaiH = along with your troops; sahabaandhavaH = and with your allies.
"That force on which you relied when you were taking away Seetha from me, display that force at your will along with your troops and allies."
श्वः काले नगरीम् लंकाम् सप्राकाराम् सतोरणाम् || ६-२५-२४
राक्षसम् च बलम् पश्य शरैर् विध्वंसितम् मया |
24. shvaH = tomorrow; kaalye = at break of day; pashya = you will see; laN^kaa nagariim = the city of Lanka; sapraakaaraam- with its ramparts; satoraNaam = and arches; balam = (as well as) the army; rakSasaam = of demons; vidhavamsitaam = demolised; mayaa = by me; shariaH = by my arrows.
"Tomorrow, at break of day, you will see my arrows demolish the city of Lanka with its ramparts and arches as well as the army of demons."
खोधम् भीममहम् मोक्ष्ये बलम् धारय रावण || ६-२५-२५
श्वः काले वज्रवान् वज्रम् दानवेष्व् इव वासवः |
25. raavaNa = O; Ravana! shvaH = tomorrow; kaalye = at break of day; aham = I; mokSyaami = shall cast; bhiimam = my terrific; krodham = andger; tvayi = on you; sasainye = with your army; vajram iva = as casting a thunderbolt; daanaveSu = on demons; vaasavaH = Indra the Lord of Celestials; vajravaan = wielding the thunder-bolt.
"O, Ravana! Tomorrow, at break of day I will cast my dreadful anger on you and your army as Indra the Lord of celestials wielding a thunderbolt casts the thunderbolt on demons."
इति प्रतिसमादिष्टौ राक्षसौ शुक सारणौ || ६-२५-२६
जयेति प्रतिनन्द्यैनम् राघवम् धर्मवत्सलम् |
आगम्य नगरीम् लंकाम् अब्रूताम् राक्षस अधिपम् || ६-२५-२७
26; 27. iti = thus; pratisamaadiSTau = commanded; shuka saaraNau = Shuka and Sarana; raakSasau = the demons; pratinandya = admired; iti = that; jaya = "May you be Victorious!" enam = on this; raaghavam = Rama; dharmavatsalam = who was intent on righteousness; aagamya = reached; laN^kaam nagariim = the city of Lanka; abruutaam = and spoke; raakSasaadhipam = to Ravana.
Receiving this command, the two demons, Shuka and Sarana, admiring his justice, cried out: "May you be victorious!", reached the city of Lanka and spoke to Ravana as follows:
विभीषण गृहीतौ तु वध अर्हौ राक्षस ईश्वर |
दृष्ट्वा धर्म आत्मना मुक्तौ रामेण अमित तेजसा || ६-२५-२८
28. raakSaseshvara = O; king of demons! vibhiSaNagR^ihiitau = we were seized by Vibhishana; vadhaartham = with the intention of killing us; raameNa = but by Rama; dharmaatmanaa = the pious minded; amita tejasaa = whose valour is immeasureable; muktau = we were released; dR^iSTvaa = on seeing.
"O, king of demons! We were seized by Vibhishana with the intention of killing us. But, Rama, the pious minded wose valour is immeasurable, seeing us, set us free."
एक स्थान गता यत्र चत्वारः पुरुष ऋषभाः |
लोक पाल उपमाः शूराः कृत अस्त्रा दृढ विक्रमाः || ६-२५-२९
रामो दाशरथिः श्रीमाम्ल् लक्ष्मणः च विभीषणः |
सुग्रीवः च महातेजा महाइन्द्र सम विक्रमः || ६-२५-३०
एते शक्ताः पुरीम् लंकाम् सप्राकाराम् सतोरणाम् |
उत्पाट्य सम्क्रामयितुम् सर्वे तिष्ठन्तु वानराः || ६-२५-३१
29; 20; 31. yatra = where; chatvaaraH = the four; puruSarSabhaaH = eminent persons; lokapaalasamaaH = who are equal to the protector of the worlds; shuuraaH = the valiant ones; kR^itaastraaH = skilled in the use of weapons; dR^iDhavikramaaH = and of proven prowess; raamaH = Rama; daasharathiH = son of Dasartha; shriimaan = the illustrious; lakSmaNaH = Lakshmana; mahaatejaH = the great resplendent; vibhiiSaNaH = Vibhishana; sugriivashca = and Sugreeva; mahendra samavikramaH = whose valour is equal to that of Indra the Lord of celestials; ekasthaanagataaH = are stationed at the same place; ete = they; utpaaTya = having plucked up; laN^kaampuriim = the city of Lanka; sapraakaaraam = with its ramparts; satoraNaam = and arches; shaktaaH = are able; samkraamayitum = to transplant it elswhere; sarve = (even if) all; vaanaraaH = (the) monkeys; tiSThantu = keep aloof.
"Where the four eminent persons who are equal to the protector of the worlds, the valiant ones skilled in the use of weapons and of proven prowess namely Rama the son of Dasaratha, the illustrious Lakshmana, the great resplendent Vibhishana and Sgreeva whose valour is equal to Indra the Lord of celestials, arestationed at the same place, they can pluck up the city of Lanka with its ramparts and arches and transplant it elswhere, even if all the monkeys keep aloof."
यादृशम् तस्य रामस्य रूपम् प्रहरणानि च |
वधिष्यति पुरीम् लंकाम् एकस् तिष्ठन्तु ते त्रयः || ६-२५-३२
32. tat = such; raamasya = is Rama's; ruupam = from; yaadR^iSham = and such; praharaNaanicha = are his weapons; ekaH = that he can alone; vadhiSyati = overthrow; laN^kaampurim = the city of Lanka; te trayaH = his three companions; tiSThantu = standing by.
"Such is Rama's form and such are his weapons, that he can alone overthrow the city of Lanka, his three other companious standing by."
राम लक्ष्मण गुप्ता सा सुग्रीवेण च वाहिनी |
बभूव दुर्धर्षतरा सर्वैर् अपि सुर असुरैः || ६-२५-३३
33. saa vaahinii = that army; raamalakSmaNaguptaa = protected by Rama and Lakshmana; sugreeveNaca = as well as by sugreeva; babhuuva = are; durdharSataraa = exceedingly unconquerable; sarvaiH = by all; suraasuraiH api = the gods and demons even.
"That army protected by Rama and Lakshmana as well as Sugreeva, are exceedingly unconquerable even by all the gods and demons."
प्रहृष्ट रूपा ध्वजिनी वन ओकसाम् |
वनौकसाम् सम्प्रति योद्धुम् इच्चताम् |
अलम् विरोधेन शमो विधीयताम् |
प्रदीयताम् दाशरथाय मैथिली || ६-२५-३४
34. samprati = now; dhvajinii = the army; vanaukasaam = of the monkeys; mahaatmanaam = the minghty ones; icchataam = who are inclined; yoddhum = to fight; prahR^iSTayodhaaH = has cheerful warriors; alaim = enough; virodhena = of hte enmity; shamaH = (Let) peace; vidhiiyataam = be made; pradiiyataam = restore; maithilii = Seetha; daasharathaaya = to Rama.
"Now, the army of the mighty monkeys, who are readily inclined to fight, consists of cheerful warriors. Mae peace, insted of enmity with them. Restore Seetha to Rama."
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे पञ्चविंशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© March 2004, K. M. K. Murthy