Seeing Lanka and describing it, Rama instructs Lakshmana to draw up his army in battle array. Rama orders for release of Shuka who was captured by the army earlier. Shuka approaches Ravana and describes the strength of Rama's side of the army. Ravana boasts himself of his own army's strength.
सा वीरसमिती राज्ञा विरराज व्यवस्थिता |
शशिना शुभिनक्षत्रा पौर्णमासीव शारदी || ६-२४-१
1. saa = that; viira samitiiH = assemblage of valiant monkeys; raajN^aa = along with the king Sugriva; viraraaja = looked charmingly; pournamaapi iva = like a full moon night; sharadii = in autumn; shashivaa = along with moon; shubha nakshhatraa = and bright stars.
That army of valiant monkeys along with the king Sugriva looked charming like a full moon night in autumn presided over by the moon and illuminated by bright stars.
प्रचचाल च वेगेन त्रस्ता चैव वसुन्धरा |
पीड्यमाना बलौ घेन तेन सागरवर्चसा || ६-२४-२
2. vasundharaa = the earth; piiDyamaanaa = pressed under foot; tena = by that; baloughena = multitude of army; saagara varchasaa = which was energetic like a sea; prachachaala = was trembled; trastaa = with fear; vegena = by the rapid movement of the army.
The earth pressed under foot by that multitude of army which was energetic like a sea, was trembled with fear by the rapid movement of that army.
ततः शुश्रुपुराक्रुष्टम् लङ्कायाः काननौकसः |
भेरीमृदङ्गसम्घुष्टम् तुमुलम् रोमहर्षणम् || ६-२४-३
3. tataH = then; kaananoukasaH = the monkeys; shushruvaH = heard; aakrushhTam = a great tumult; laN^kaayaaH = arising in Lanka; tumulam = and noisy; bheriimR^idaNga samghushhTam = sounds of kettledrums and tabours; romaharshhaNam = which caused their hair to stand on end.
Then the monkeys heard a great tumult arising in Lanka and noisy sounds of kettledrums and tabours, which caused their hair to stand on end.
बभूवुस्तेन घोषेण सम्हृष्टा हरियूथपाः |
अमृष्यमाणास्तम् घोषम् विनेदुर्घोषवत्तरम् || ६-२४-४
4. hariyutaapaH = the leaders of monkeys; samhR^ishhTaaH = were rejoiced; tena ghosheNa = by that sound; amR^ishhyamaaNaaH = not tolerating; tam = that; ghoshham = sound; vineduH = they emitted shouts; ghoshhavattaram = which surpassed that uproar.
The leaders of monkeys were rejoiced by that sound. But by not tolerating that sound, they emitted shouts, which surpassed that uproar.
राक्षसास्तम् प्लवङ्गानाम् शुश्रुवुस्तेऽपि गर्जितम् |
वर्दतामिव दृप्तानाम् मेघानामम्बरे स्वनम् || ६-२४-५
5. te = those; raakshhasaaH = demons too;shushruvuH = heard; garjitam = the roaring; dR^iptaanaam = of the wildly delighted; plavaN^gaanaam = monkeys; svanam iva = which was like the sound; nardataam meghaanaam = of thundering clouds; ambare = in the sky.
Those demons too heard the roaring of the wildly delighted monkeys, which roar sounded like thundering of clouds in the sky.
दृष्ट्वा दाशरथिर्लङ्काम् चित्रध्वजपताकिनिम्म् |
जगाम मनसा सीताम् दूयमानेन चेतसा || ६-२४-६
6. dR^ishhTvaa = seeing; laN^kaam = Lanka; chitradhvaja pataakiniim = dressed with multicolored flags and butings; daasharathiH = Rama; manasaa = by his mind; jagaama = went; siitaam = to Sita; chetasaa = and his heart; duuyamaanena = was filled with grief.
Seeing Lanka dressed with multi colored flags and buntings, Rama bethought himself of Sita and his heart was filled with grief.
अत्र सा मृगशाबाक्षी रावणेनोपरुध्यते |
अभिभूता ग्रहेणेव लोहिताङ्गेन रोहिणी || ६-२४-७
7. saa = that Sita; mR^igashabaakshhii = whose eyes resemble like a young deer; uparudhyate = was detained; raavaNena = by Ravana; atra = there; rohiNiiva = as Rohini star; abhibhuutaa = is overshadowed; lohitaaNgena = by red bodied; graheNa = planet(Mars).
"Sita whose eyes resemble those of a young deer, was detained by Ravana there, as Rohini star is overshadowed by the red bodied planet (mars)."
दीर्घमुष्णम् च निःश्वस्य समुद्वीक्ष्य च लक्ष्मणम् |
उवाच वचनम् वीरस्तत्कालहितमात्मनः || ६-२४-८
8. niHshvasya = sighing; ushhNamcha = warmly; diirgham = and deeply; samudviikshhyacha = and seeing; lakshhmaNam = Lakshmana; viiraH = the heroic Rama; vuvaacha = spoke; vachanam = the following words; tatkaalahitam = beneficial at that time; aatmaanaH = for him.
Seeing Lakshmana after a warm and deep sigh, the heroic Rama spoke the following words, which were beneficial for him at that time :-
आलिखन्तीमिवाकाशमुत्थिताम् पश्य लक्ष्मण |
मन्सेव कृताम् लङ्काम् नगाग्रे विश्वकर्मणा || ६-२४-९
9. lakshhmaNa = O; Lakshmana! Pashya = look; laN^kaam = at Lanka; kR^itaam iva = which appears as though constructed; nagaagre = on a hill top; vishvakarmaNaa = by Viswakarma; manasaa = with his imagination; utthitaam = so elevated; aalikhantim = scraping; aakaasham = the sky.
"O, Lakshmana! Look at this Lanka, which appears as though constructed on a hilltop by Visvakarma with his imagination and so elevated scraping the sky."
विमानैर्बहुभिर्लङ्क सम्कीर्णा रचिता पुरा |
विष्णोः पदमिवाकाशम् चादितम् पाण्डुभिर्घनैः || ६-२४-१०
10. laNkaa = the city of Lanka; puraa = was formerly; rachitaa = constructed; kiirNaa = and filled with; bahubhiH = many; vimaanaiH = seven storied buildings; chhaaditam iva = as though covered; paaN^DubhiH = with white; ghanaiH = clouds; aakaasham = the sky; padam = the abode; vishhNoH = of Vishnu; the all pervaded.
The city of Lanka was constructed densely with many seven storied buildings and appears like a sky the abode of Vishnu (the all pervaded), covered with white clouds."
पुष्पितैः शोभिता लङ्का वनैश्चत्ररथोपमैः |
नानापतगसम्घुष्टफलपुष्पोपगैः शुभैः || ६-२४-११
11. lankaa = Lanka; shobhitaa = is made beautiful; vanaiH = by the gardens; chaitrarathaiH = vying with Chaitraratha; naanaapatagasamghushhTaphala pushhpopagaiH = with various sounds of birds; fruit bearing flowers; shubhaiH = and charms; pushhpitaiH = in bloom.
"Lanka is made beautiful by the garden vying with chaitraratha (the garden of Kubera the god of riches) with songs of birds of various species, with fruit bearing flowers and charms in bloom.
पश्य मत्तविहङ्गनि प्रलीनभ्रमराणि च |
कोकिलाकुलखण्डानि दोधवीति शिवोऽविलः || ६-२४-१२
12. pashya = see; (how); shivaH = a gentle; anilaH = breeze; dodhaviiti = sways; kokilaakula khan^Daani = the branches where the cuckoos abound; praliinabhramaraanicha = where bees swarm; mattavihaN^gaani = and where the birds are exited with joy.
"See how a gentle breeze sways the branches where the cuckoos abound where bees swarm and where the birds are excited with joy."
इति दाशरथीरमो लक्ष्मणम् समभाषत |
बलम् च तत्र विभजच्चास्त्रदृष्टेन कर्मणा || ६-२४-१३
13. raamaH = Rama; daasharathiH = son of Dasaratha; samabhaashhata = spoke; iti = thus; lakshhmaNam = to Lakshmana;tatra = there; balam = the army; vibhajachcha = was divided into battalions; karmaNaa = according to method; shaastradR^ishhTena = found in the scriptures.
Rama the son of Dasaratha spoke as aforesaid to Lakshmana. The army there was divided into battalions according to the procedure found in scriptures.
शशास कपिसेमाम् ताम् बलादादाय वीर्यवान् |
अङ्गदः सह नीलेन तिष्ठे दुरपि दुर्जयः || ६-२४-१४
14. shashaasa = (He issued the following) commands; aadaaya = taking; taam = these; kapisenaam = troops of monkeys; balata = from the army; (let) viiryavaan = the valiant; durjayaH = and the invincible; aN^gadaH = Angada; tishhThaat = take up his position; niilena saha = with Nila; urapi = at the center of the formation.
He issued the following commands: --"Taking these troops of monkeys from the army, let the valiant and the invincible Angada take up his position with Nila at the center of the formation.
तिष्ठेद्वानरवाहिन्या वानरौघसमावृतः |
आशिर्तो दक्षिणम् पार्श्वमृषभो नाम वानरः || ६-२४-१५
15. vaanaraH = (let)the monkeys; R^ishhabhonaama = named Rishabha; vaanarougha samavR^itaH = along with the multitude of monkeys; tishhThet = take up his position; aashritaH = having recourse to ; dakshhiNam = to the right; paarshvam = side; vaanara vaahinyaaH = of the monkey-troops.
Let Rishabha along with the multitude of monkeys take up his position, having recourse to the right side of the army."
गन्धहस्तीव दुर्धर्षस्तरस्वी गन्धमादनः |
तिष्ठेद्वानरवाहिन्याः सव्यम् पक्षमधिष्ठतः || ६-२४-१६
16. gandhamaadanaH = (let)Gandhamadana; tarasvii = the strong; durdarshhaH = and the unconquerable; gandhahastiiva = like an elephant in rut; tishhThet = take his position; adhishhThitaH = superintending; savyampakshham = the left side; vaanara vaahinyaaH = of the monkey troops.
"Let Gandhamadana, the strong and unconquerable, resembling an elephant in rut, take his position superintending the left side of the monkey troops."
मूर्ध्नि स्थास्याम्यहम् यत्तो लक्ष्मणेन समन्वितः |
जाम्बवांश्च सुषेणश्च वेगदर्शी च वानरः || ६-२४-१७
ऋक्षमुख्या महात्मानः कुक्षिम् रक्षन्तु ते त्रयः |
17. aham = I; sthaasyaami = shall stand; yattaH = alert; muurdhni = in the forefront of the army; samanvitaH = along with; lakshhmaNena = Lakshmana; jambavaashcha = and Jambavan; sushheNashcha = Sushena; vegadarshhiicha = and Vegadarshi; vaanaraaH = the monkey; te = those; trayah = three; mahaatmanaaH = exceedingly wise ones; R^ikshhamukhyaaH = the leaders of the bears; rakshhanti = protect; kukshhim = the belly.
"I shall stand alert in the forefront of the army along with Lakshmana. Let Jambavan, Sushena and Vegadarshi the monkey - those three exceeding wise leaders of bears and monkeys- protest the belly portion of the army."
जघनम् कपिसेनायाः कपिराजोऽभिरक्षतु || ६-२४-१८
पश्चार्धमिव लोकस्य प्रचेतास्तेजपा वृतः |
18. kapiraajaH = Sugriva; the king of monkeys; abhirakshhatu = protect; jaghanam = the hips and loins; kapisenaayaaH = of the monkey troops; pravetaaH = as Varuna (the god of water); vR^itaH = who remains enveloped; tejasaa = with splendor; (protects); pashchaardhamiva = the western quarter; lokasya = of the earth.
"Let Sugriva the king of monkeys protect the rear guard of the army, resembling Varuna (the god of water) who remains enveloped with splendor protects the western quarter of the earth."
सुविभक्तमहाव्यूहा महावानररक्षिता || ६-२४-१९
अनीकिनी सा विबभौ यथाद्यौः साभ्रसम्प्लवा |
19. saa amiikinii = that army; suvibhakta mahaavyuuhaa = with innumerable divisions being skillfully distributed; mahaa vaanararakshhitaa = led by the foremost of monkeys; vibabhou = shone; yathaa dyouH = like heavens; baabhrasamplavaa = with mass of clouds.
That army with innumerable divisions, being skillfully distributed led by the foremost of monkeys, resembled heavens with their mass of clouds.
प्रग़ृह्य गिरिशृङ्गाणि महतश्च महीरुहान् || ६-२४-२०
आसेदुर्वानरा लङ्काम् मिमर्दयुषवो रणे |
20. mimardayishhavah = with a desire to crush(the demons); raNe = in battle; vaanaraah = the monkeys; pragR^ihya = seizing; girishR^iNgaaNi = peaks of mountains; mahataH = and gigantic; mahiiruhaan = trees; aaseduH = reached; laN^kaam = Lanka.
With a desire to crush the demons in battle, the monkeys, seizing peaks of mountains and gigantic trees, reached Lanka.
शिखरैर्विकिरामैनाम् लङ्काम् मुष्टिभिरेव वा || ६-२४-२१
इति स्म दधिरे सर्वे मानांसि हरिपुङ्गवाः |
21. sarve = all; haripuN^gavaaH = the heroic monkeys; dadhire = held; manaamsi = in their minds; iti = the following resolve; "shikharaiH = with the peaks of mountains; mushhTibhireva vaa = or with our bare fists; vikiraama = we shall shatter into pieces; enaam = this; laNkaam = Lanka.
All the heroic monkeys held the following resolve in their minds, "It is with peak of mountains or with our bare fists even, we shall shatter this Lanka into pieces."
ततो रामो महातेजाः सुग्रीव मिदमब्रवीत् || ६-२४-२२
सुविभक्तानि सैन्यानि शुक एष विमुच्यताम् |
22. tataH = then; raamaH = Rama; mahaatejaaH = with great splendor; abraviit = spoke; idam = these words; sugrivam = to Sugriva; sainyaani = our forces; suvibhaktaam = are properly marshaled; eshhaH shukaH = let this Shuka; vimuchyataam = be released.
Then, Rama with great splendor spoke the following words to Sugriva, "Our forces are properly marshaled. Let this Shuka be released."
रामस्य तु वचः श्रुत्वा वानरेन्द्रो महाबलः || ६-२४-२३
मोचयामास तम् दूतम् शुकम् रामस्य शासनात् |
23. Shrutvaa = hearing; vachanam = the words; raamasya = of Rama; vaanarendraH = Sugriva the lord of monkeys; mochayaamaasa = released; shukam = Shuka; tam duutam = that messenger; shaasanaat = by the order; raamasya = of Rama.
Hearing the words of Rama, Sugriva the lord of monkeys released Shuka the messenger, as per the order of Rama.
मोचितो रामवाक्येन वानरैश्च निपीडितः || ६-२४-२४
शुकः परमसम्त्रस्तो रक्षोधिपमुपागमत् |
24. shukaH = Shuka; nipiiDitaH = who was harassed; vaanaraiH = by monkeys; mochitaH = and released; raamavaakyaena = through the words of Rama; paramasamtrastaH = was trembling with great fear; upaagamat = and reached; rakshhodhipam = Ravana.
Shuka who was harassed by the monkeys and released then as per the words of Rama, was trembling with great fear and reached Ravana.
रावणः प्रहसन्नेव शुकम् वाक्यमुवाच ह || ६-२४-२५
किमिमौ ते सितौ पक्षौ लूनपक्ष्श्च दृश्यसे |
कच्चिन्नानेकचित्तानाम् तेषाम् त्वम् वशमागतः || ६-२४-२६
25; 26. raavaNaH = Ravana; prahasanneva = even while laughing; uvaachaha = enquired; shukam = Shuka; vaakyam = with the following words: kim = why; imou = these; te = your; pakshhou = wings; sitou = were tied up? dR^ishyase = you are appearing; luunapakshhashcha = with your wings plucked up; tvam na aagataH kachchit = Have you not fallen; teshhaam = into their; anekachittaanaam = various(fickle)minds?
Ravana, even while laughing, enquired Shuka with the following words: " why were your wings tied up? You appear with your wings plucked up. Have you not fallen as a victim to their various fickle minds?"
ततस्प भयसम्विग्न स्तदा राज्ञाभिचोदितः |
वचनम् प्रत्युवाचेदम् राक्षसाधिपमुत्तमम् || ६-२४-२७
सागरस्योत्तरे तीरेऽब्रवम् ते वचनम् तथा |
यथासंदेशमक्लिष्टम् सान्त्वयन् श्लक्ष्णया गिरा || ६-२४-२८
27; 28. tataH = then; saH = that Shuka; bhayasamvignaH = agitated with fear; tadaa = then; abhichoditaH = prompted; raaj^Naa = by the king Ravana; pratyuvaacha = replied; idam = with these; uttamam = exellent; vachanam = words; raakshhasaadhipam = to Ravana: uttare tiire = on the northern shore; saagarasya = of the ocean; abravam = I spoke; tathaa = as; te = your; vachanam = words; shlakshhNayaa = conciliating; yathaasandesham = as per your instructions; aklishhTam = without any ambiguity.
Asked as aforesaid by the king Ravana, Shuka agitated as he was with fear, gave him the following excellent reply: "On the northern shore of the ocean, I conveyed your message in a smooth tone, conciliating and without any ambiguity exactly as per your instructions."
क्रुद्धैस्तेरहमुत्प्लुत्य दृष्टमात्रः प्लवङ्गमैः |
गृहितोऽस्म्यपि चारब्धो हन्तुम् लोप्तुम् च मुष्टिभिः || ६-२४-२९
29. aham = I; dR^ishhTamaatraH = on just being seen; gR^ihiitaH = by those monkeys; kruddhaiH = in rage; apicha = and; aaraabddhaiH = started; hantum = beating; loptumcha = and plucking; mushhTibhiH = with their fists.
"Just on seeing me, the enraged monkeys jumped on me and seized me. They soon started beating and plucking me with their fists."
न ते सम्भाषितुम् शक्याः सम्प्रश्नोऽत्र न विद्यते |
प्रकृत्या कोपनास्तीक्षिणा वानरा राक्षसाधिप || ६-२४-३०
30. raakshhasaadhipa = O; lord of demons! Te = those monkeys; nashakyaaH = are not capable of being; sambhaashhitum = spoken to; navidyate = nor possible; samprashnaH = of being questioned; atra = in this matter; vaanaraaH = monkeys; prakR^ityaaH = by their nature; kopanaaH = are angry; tiikshhNaaH = and ferocious.
"O, Lord of demons! Those monkeys are not capable of being spoken to, or possible of being questioned in this matter. Monkeys, by their very nature, are angry and ferocious."
स च हन्ता विराधस्य कबन्धस्य खरस्य च |
सुग्रीवसहितो रामः सीतायाः पदमागतः || ६-२४-३१
31. saH raamaH = that Rama; hantaa = the killer; viraadhasya = of Viradha; kabandhasya = Kabandha; kharasyacha = and Khara; aagataH = came; sugriiva sahitaH = along with Sugriva; padam = to the place; siitaayaaH = of Sita.
"That Rama the killer of Viraadha, Kabandha and Khara came along with Sugriva to the place of Sita."
स कृत्वा सागरे सेतुम् तीर्त्वा च लवणोदधिम् |
एष रक्षासि निर्धूय धन्वी तिष्ठति राघवः || ६-२४-३२
32. kR^itvaa = having constructed; setum = a bridge; saagare = across the sea; tiirtvaa = and having crossed; lavaNodadhim = the salty ocean; nirdhuuya = and expelling; rakshaamsi = the demons; raaghavaH = Rama; eshhaH = as such; tishhThati = stands; dhanvii = wielding a bow.
"Having constructed a bridge across the sea and crossed the salty ocean and expelling the demons, here stands Rama wielding a bow."
ऋक्षवानरसम्घानामनीकानि सहस्रशः |
गिरिमेघनिकाशानाम् चादयन्ति वसुन्धराम् || ६-२४-३३
33. sahasrashaH = thousands; aniikaani = of divisions; R^ikshhavaanarasamghavaam = of crowds of bears and monkeys; girimegha nikashaanaam = resembling mountains and clouds; chhaadayanti = cover; vasundharaam = the earth.
"Thousands of divisions of hordes of bears and monkeys resembling mountains and clouds, cover the earth."
राक्षसानाम् बलौघस्य वानरेन्द्रबलस्य च |
नैतयोर्विद्यते संधिर्देवदानवयोरिव || ६-२४-३४
34. navidyate = there is no more possibility; samdhiH = of an alliance; etayoH = between these two armies; baloughasya = the army; raakshhasaanaam = of demons; vaanarendra balasya = and the army of Sugriva; the lord of monkeys; devadaanavayoriva = than between a god and a demon.
"There is no more possibility of an alliance between these two armies - the army of demons and the army of monkeys- than between a God and a demon."
पुरा प्राकारमायान्ति क्षिप्रमेकतरम् कुरु |
सीताम् वास्मै प्रयच्चाशु युद्धम् वापि प्रदीयताम् || ६-२४-३५
35. puraa aayanti = very soon; (they) can come; praakaaram = to the rampart; kuru = do; ekataram = any one of the two acts; kshhipram = immediately; prayachchha vaa = either to restore; siitaam = Sita; yuddhamvaapi = or combat ; pradiiyataam = may be offered; asmai = to him; aashu = soon.
"Very soon they will come to our rampart. Immediately, do any one of these two acts- either to restore Sita or to offer a combat to him."
शुकस्य वचनम् श्रुत्वा रावणो वाक्य मब्रवीत् |
रोषसम्रक्तनयनो निर्दहन्निव चक्षुषा || ६-२४-३६
36. shrutvaa = hearing; vachanam = the words; shukasya = of Shuka; raavaNaH = Ravana; roshhasamraktanayanaH = with his eyes becoming blood red in anger; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = these words; nirdahanniva = as if he would consume him; chakshhusaa = with his glance.
Hearing the words of Shuka, Ravana with his eyes becoming blood red in anger, as if he would consume him with his glance, said as follows:
यदि माम् प्रतियुध्येरन् देवगन्धर्वदानवाः |
नैव सीताम् प्रदास्यामि सर्वलोकभयादपि || ६-२४-३७
37. sarva loka bhayaadapi = even if I were frightened by all worlds; maam pratiyuddhyerannapi = or even if I were to face a battle; devagandharva daanavaaH = with celestials; Gandharvas(celestial singers) or demons; naiva pradaasyaami = I would not give back; siitaam = Sita.
"Even if I were frightened by all the worlds or even if I were to face a battle with celestials or Gandharvas (celestial singers) or demons, I would not give back Sita."
कदा समभिधानन्ति मामका राघवम् शराः |
वसन्ते पुष्पितम् मत्ता भ्रमरा इव पादपम् || ६-२४-३८
38. kadaa = when; maamakaaH = will my; shavaaH = arrows; samabhidhaavanti = soon fall; raaghavam = upon Rama; bhramaraaH iva = as large black bees; mattaaH = exited with joy; (fall upon) paadapam = a tree; pushhpitam = in bloom; vasante = at spring time?
"When will my arrows soon fall upon Rama, as large black bees excited with joy fall upon a tree in bloom at spring time?"
कदा शोणितदिग्धाङ्गम् दीपैः कार्मुकविच्युतैः |
शरैरादीपयिष्यामि उल्काभिरिव कुञ्जरम् || ६-२४-३९
39. kadaa = when; aadii payishhyaami = shall I consume; diiptaiH = by the blazing; sharaiH = arrows; kaarmuka vichyutaiH = released from my bow; shoNita digdhaaNgam = his body flowing with blood; ulkaabhiriva = as flaming torches; (destroy) kuN^jaram = an elephant?
"When shall I consume his body flowing with blood, by the blazing arrows released from my bow, as flaming torches destroy an elephant?"
तच्चास्य बलमादास्ये बलेन महता वृतः |
ज्योतिषामिव सर्वेषाम् प्रभामुद्यन्दिवाकरः || ६-२४-४०
40. vR^itaH = endowed with; mahataa = a huge; balena = army; aadaasye = I shall eclipse ; tat = the aforesaid; balam = army; asya = of Rama; prabhaamiva = as the brilliance; sarveshhaam jyotishhaam = of all stars; udyan = at the rising; divaakaraH = of the sun.
"Endowed with a huge army I shall eclipse the aforesaid army of Rama, as the brilliance of all stars is obscured at the rising of the sun."
सागरस्येव मे वेगो मारुतस्येव मे बलम् |
न च दाशरथिर्वेद तेन माम् योद्धुमिच्चति || ६-२४-४१
41. me = my; vegaH- = rashness; sagarasyeva = is like that of the sea. Me = my; balam = strength; marutasyeva = is like that of the wind; daasharathiH = Rama; nachaveda = is not aware of it; tena = that is why; ichchati = he desires; maam yoddhum = to meet me in combat.
"My rashness is like that of the sea and my strength is like that of the wind. Rama is not aware of it. That is why, he is desirous of meeting me in a combat."
न मे तूणीशयान् बाणान् सनिषानिव पन्नगान् |
रामः पश्यति सम्ग्रामे तेन माम् योद्धुमिच्चति || ६-२४-४२
42. raamaH = Rama; na pashyati = has not seen; me baanaan = my arrows; savishhaan pannagaaniva = resembling venomous serpents; tuuNiishayaan = in my quiver; tena = that is why; ichchhati = he desires; yoddhum = to fight; maam = with me.
"Rama has not seen my arrows resembling venomous serpents lying in my quiver. That is why, he desires to fight with me."
न जानाति पुरा वीर्यम् मम युद्धे स राघवः |
मम चापमयीम् वीणाम् शरकोणैः प्रवादिताम् || ६-२४-४३
ज्याशबदतुमुलाम् घोरामार्तगीतमहास्वनाम् |
नाराचतलसम्नादाम् ताम् ममाहितवाहिनीम् || ६-२४-४४
अवगाह्य महरङ्गम् वादयिष्यान्तगन् रणे |
43; 44. saH raaghavaH = that Rama; puraa = formerly; najaanaati = was not aware; mama = of my; viiryam = prowess; Yuddhe = in battle; vaadayishhyaami = I shall cause to resound; viiNaam = Vina; mama chaapa mayiim = in the form of my bow; naaraachatala samvaadaam = which is played on; with the heads of my arrows; jyaashabda tumulaam = the bow string producing a tumultuous sound; aartagiita mahaasvanaam = the huge cries of the wounded ; ghoraam = its terrible accompaniment; shara koNaiH = the darts; pravaaditaam = sounding its innumerable notes; (when) aham = I; avagaahya = enter; mahaaraN^gam = a vast stage; maam ahitavaahiniim = in the form of my enemy ranks; taam = in that; raNe = battle.
Rama was not formerly aware of my prowess in battle. I shall cause to resound Vina (a musical instrument) in the form of my bow, which is played on with the heads of my arrows, the bow string producing a tumultuous sound, the huge cries of the wounded its terrible accompaniment, the darts sounding its innumerable notes, when I enter a vast stage in the form of my enemy ranks in that battle."
न वासवेनापि स हस्रचक्षुषा |
युद्धेऽस्मि शक्यो वरुणेन वास्वयम् |
यमेव वा धर्षयितुम् शराग्निना |
महाहवे वैश्रवणेन वा स्वयम् || ६-२४-४५
45. vaaasavenaapi = neither by Devendra; the god of celestials; sahasrachakshhushhaa = the thousand eyed; varuNenaapi = nor by Varuna; the god of waters; svayam = in person; yuddhe = in combat; yamanaivaa = nor by Yama the god of death; sharaagninaa = with the fire of his arrows; vaishravaNenavaa = nor by Kubera the lord of riches; svayam = in person; shakyaH = can I be able; dharshhayitum = to be attacked; mahaahave = in a great battle.
"Neither by the thousand eyed Indra the god of celestials nor by Varuna the God of waters in person in a combat, nor by Yama the god of death with the fire of his arrows, nor by Kubera the lord of riches in person, can I be able to be attacked in a great battle."
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे चतुर्विंशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© March 2004, K. M. K. Murthy