Seeing Lanka and describing it, Rama instructs Lakshmana to draw up his army in battle array. Rama orders for release of Shuka who was captured by the army earlier. Shuka approaches Ravana and describes the strength of Rama's side of the army. Ravana boasts himself of his own army's strength.
sā vīrasamitī rājñā virarāja vyavasthitā |
śaśinā śubhinakṣatrā paurṇamāsīva śāradī || 6-24-1
1. saa = that; viira samitiiH = assemblage of valiant monkeys; raajN^aa = along with the king Sugriva; viraraaja = looked charmingly; pournamaapi iva = like a full moon night; sharadii = in autumn; shashivaa = along with moon; shubha nakshhatraa = and bright stars.
That army of valiant monkeys along with the king Sugriva looked charming like a full moon night in autumn presided over by the moon and illuminated by bright stars.
pracacāla ca vegena trastā caiva vasundharā |
pīḍyamānā balau ghena tena sāgaravarcasā || 6-24-2
2. vasundharaa = the earth; piiDyamaanaa = pressed under foot; tena = by that; baloughena = multitude of army; saagara varchasaa = which was energetic like a sea; prachachaala = was trembled; trastaa = with fear; vegena = by the rapid movement of the army.
The earth pressed under foot by that multitude of army which was energetic like a sea, was trembled with fear by the rapid movement of that army.
tataḥ śuśrupurākruṣṭam laṅkāyāḥ kānanaukasaḥ |
bherīmṛdaṅgasamghuṣṭam tumulam romaharṣaṇam || 6-24-3
3. tataH = then; kaananoukasaH = the monkeys; shushruvaH = heard; aakrushhTam = a great tumult; laN^kaayaaH = arising in Lanka; tumulam = and noisy; bheriimR^idaNga samghushhTam = sounds of kettledrums and tabours; romaharshhaNam = which caused their hair to stand on end.
Then the monkeys heard a great tumult arising in Lanka and noisy sounds of kettledrums and tabours, which caused their hair to stand on end.
babhūvustena ghoṣeṇa samhṛṣṭā hariyūthapāḥ |
amṛṣyamāṇāstam ghoṣam vinedurghoṣavattaram || 6-24-4
4. hariyutaapaH = the leaders of monkeys; samhR^ishhTaaH = were rejoiced; tena ghosheNa = by that sound; amR^ishhyamaaNaaH = not tolerating; tam = that; ghoshham = sound; vineduH = they emitted shouts; ghoshhavattaram = which surpassed that uproar.
The leaders of monkeys were rejoiced by that sound. But by not tolerating that sound, they emitted shouts, which surpassed that uproar.
rākṣasāstam plavaṅgānām śuśruvuste.api garjitam |
vardatāmiva dṛptānām meghānāmambare svanam || 6-24-5
5. te = those; raakshhasaaH = demons too;shushruvuH = heard; garjitam = the roaring; dR^iptaanaam = of the wildly delighted; plavaN^gaanaam = monkeys; svanam iva = which was like the sound; nardataam meghaanaam = of thundering clouds; ambare = in the sky.
Those demons too heard the roaring of the wildly delighted monkeys, which roar sounded like thundering of clouds in the sky.
dṛṣṭvā dāśarathirlaṅkām citradhvajapatākinimm |
jagāma manasā sītām dūyamānena cetasā || 6-24-6
6. dR^ishhTvaa = seeing; laN^kaam = Lanka; chitradhvaja pataakiniim = dressed with multicolored flags and butings; daasharathiH = Rama; manasaa = by his mind; jagaama = went; siitaam = to Sita; chetasaa = and his heart; duuyamaanena = was filled with grief.
Seeing Lanka dressed with multi colored flags and buntings, Rama bethought himself of Sita and his heart was filled with grief.
atra sā mṛgaśābākṣī rāvaṇenoparudhyate |
abhibhūtā graheṇeva lohitāṅgena rohiṇī || 6-24-7
7. saa = that Sita; mR^igashabaakshhii = whose eyes resemble like a young deer; uparudhyate = was detained; raavaNena = by Ravana; atra = there; rohiNiiva = as Rohini star; abhibhuutaa = is overshadowed; lohitaaNgena = by red bodied; graheNa = planet(Mars).
"Sita whose eyes resemble those of a young deer, was detained by Ravana there, as Rohini star is overshadowed by the red bodied planet (mars)."
dīrghamuṣṇam ca niḥśvasya samudvīkṣya ca lakṣmaṇam |
uvāca vacanam vīrastatkālahitamātmanaḥ || 6-24-8
8. niHshvasya = sighing; ushhNamcha = warmly; diirgham = and deeply; samudviikshhyacha = and seeing; lakshhmaNam = Lakshmana; viiraH = the heroic Rama; vuvaacha = spoke; vachanam = the following words; tatkaalahitam = beneficial at that time; aatmaanaH = for him.
Seeing Lakshmana after a warm and deep sigh, the heroic Rama spoke the following words, which were beneficial for him at that time :-
ālikhantīmivākāśamutthitām paśya lakṣmaṇa |
manseva kṛtām laṅkām nagāgre viśvakarmaṇā || 6-24-9
9. lakshhmaNa = O; Lakshmana! Pashya = look; laN^kaam = at Lanka; kR^itaam iva = which appears as though constructed; nagaagre = on a hill top; vishvakarmaNaa = by Viswakarma; manasaa = with his imagination; utthitaam = so elevated; aalikhantim = scraping; aakaasham = the sky.
"O, Lakshmana! Look at this Lanka, which appears as though constructed on a hilltop by Visvakarma with his imagination and so elevated scraping the sky."
vimānairbahubhirlaṅka samkīrṇā racitā purā |
viṣṇoḥ padamivākāśam cāditam pāṇḍubhirghanaiḥ || 6-24-10
10. laNkaa = the city of Lanka; puraa = was formerly; rachitaa = constructed; kiirNaa = and filled with; bahubhiH = many; vimaanaiH = seven storied buildings; chhaaditam iva = as though covered; paaN^DubhiH = with white; ghanaiH = clouds; aakaasham = the sky; padam = the abode; vishhNoH = of Vishnu; the all pervaded.
The city of Lanka was constructed densely with many seven storied buildings and appears like a sky the abode of Vishnu (the all pervaded), covered with white clouds."
puṣpitaiḥ śobhitā laṅkā vanaiścatrarathopamaiḥ |
nānāpatagasamghuṣṭaphalapuṣpopagaiḥ śubhaiḥ || 6-24-11
11. lankaa = Lanka; shobhitaa = is made beautiful; vanaiH = by the gardens; chaitrarathaiH = vying with Chaitraratha; naanaapatagasamghushhTaphala pushhpopagaiH = with various sounds of birds; fruit bearing flowers; shubhaiH = and charms; pushhpitaiH = in bloom.
"Lanka is made beautiful by the garden vying with chaitraratha (the garden of Kubera the god of riches) with songs of birds of various species, with fruit bearing flowers and charms in bloom.
paśya mattavihaṅgani pralīnabhramarāṇi ca |
kokilākulakhaṇḍāni dodhavīti śivo.avilaḥ || 6-24-12
12. pashya = see; (how); shivaH = a gentle; anilaH = breeze; dodhaviiti = sways; kokilaakula khan^Daani = the branches where the cuckoos abound; praliinabhramaraanicha = where bees swarm; mattavihaN^gaani = and where the birds are exited with joy.
"See how a gentle breeze sways the branches where the cuckoos abound where bees swarm and where the birds are excited with joy."
iti dāśarathīramo lakṣmaṇam samabhāṣata |
balam ca tatra vibhajaccāstradṛṣṭena karmaṇā || 6-24-13
13. raamaH = Rama; daasharathiH = son of Dasaratha; samabhaashhata = spoke; iti = thus; lakshhmaNam = to Lakshmana;tatra = there; balam = the army; vibhajachcha = was divided into battalions; karmaNaa = according to method; shaastradR^ishhTena = found in the scriptures.
Rama the son of Dasaratha spoke as aforesaid to Lakshmana. The army there was divided into battalions according to the procedure found in scriptures.
śaśāsa kapisemām tām balādādāya vīryavān |
aṅgadaḥ saha nīlena tiṣṭhe durapi durjayaḥ || 6-24-14
14. shashaasa = (He issued the following) commands; aadaaya = taking; taam = these; kapisenaam = troops of monkeys; balata = from the army; (let) viiryavaan = the valiant; durjayaH = and the invincible; aN^gadaH = Angada; tishhThaat = take up his position; niilena saha = with Nila; urapi = at the center of the formation.
He issued the following commands: --"Taking these troops of monkeys from the army, let the valiant and the invincible Angada take up his position with Nila at the center of the formation.
tiṣṭhedvānaravāhinyā vānaraughasamāvṛtaḥ |
āśirto dakṣiṇam pārśvamṛṣabho nāma vānaraḥ || 6-24-15
15. vaanaraH = (let)the monkeys; R^ishhabhonaama = named Rishabha; vaanarougha samavR^itaH = along with the multitude of monkeys; tishhThet = take up his position; aashritaH = having recourse to ; dakshhiNam = to the right; paarshvam = side; vaanara vaahinyaaH = of the monkey-troops.
Let Rishabha along with the multitude of monkeys take up his position, having recourse to the right side of the army."
gandhahastīva durdharṣastarasvī gandhamādanaḥ |
tiṣṭhedvānaravāhinyāḥ savyam pakṣamadhiṣṭhataḥ || 6-24-16
16. gandhamaadanaH = (let)Gandhamadana; tarasvii = the strong; durdarshhaH = and the unconquerable; gandhahastiiva = like an elephant in rut; tishhThet = take his position; adhishhThitaH = superintending; savyampakshham = the left side; vaanara vaahinyaaH = of the monkey troops.
"Let Gandhamadana, the strong and unconquerable, resembling an elephant in rut, take his position superintending the left side of the monkey troops."
mūrdhni sthāsyāmyaham yatto lakṣmaṇena samanvitaḥ |
jāmbavāṃśca suṣeṇaśca vegadarśī ca vānaraḥ || 6-24-17
ṛkṣamukhyā mahātmānaḥ kukṣim rakṣantu te trayaḥ |
17. aham = I; sthaasyaami = shall stand; yattaH = alert; muurdhni = in the forefront of the army; samanvitaH = along with; lakshhmaNena = Lakshmana; jambavaashcha = and Jambavan; sushheNashcha = Sushena; vegadarshhiicha = and Vegadarshi; vaanaraaH = the monkey; te = those; trayah = three; mahaatmanaaH = exceedingly wise ones; R^ikshhamukhyaaH = the leaders of the bears; rakshhanti = protect; kukshhim = the belly.
"I shall stand alert in the forefront of the army along with Lakshmana. Let Jambavan, Sushena and Vegadarshi the monkey - those three exceeding wise leaders of bears and monkeys- protest the belly portion of the army."
jaghanam kapisenāyāḥ kapirājo.abhirakṣatu || 6-24-18
paścārdhamiva lokasya pracetāstejapā vṛtaḥ |
18. kapiraajaH = Sugriva; the king of monkeys; abhirakshhatu = protect; jaghanam = the hips and loins; kapisenaayaaH = of the monkey troops; pravetaaH = as Varuna (the god of water); vR^itaH = who remains enveloped; tejasaa = with splendor; (protects); pashchaardhamiva = the western quarter; lokasya = of the earth.
"Let Sugriva the king of monkeys protect the rear guard of the army, resembling Varuna (the god of water) who remains enveloped with splendor protects the western quarter of the earth."
suvibhaktamahāvyūhā mahāvānararakṣitā || 6-24-19
anīkinī sā vibabhau yathādyauḥ sābhrasamplavā |
19. saa amiikinii = that army; suvibhakta mahaavyuuhaa = with innumerable divisions being skillfully distributed; mahaa vaanararakshhitaa = led by the foremost of monkeys; vibabhou = shone; yathaa dyouH = like heavens; baabhrasamplavaa = with mass of clouds.
That army with innumerable divisions, being skillfully distributed led by the foremost of monkeys, resembled heavens with their mass of clouds.
praGṛhya giriśṛṅgāṇi mahataśca mahīruhān || 6-24-20
āsedurvānarā laṅkām mimardayuṣavo raṇe |
20. mimardayishhavah = with a desire to crush(the demons); raNe = in battle; vaanaraah = the monkeys; pragR^ihya = seizing; girishR^iNgaaNi = peaks of mountains; mahataH = and gigantic; mahiiruhaan = trees; aaseduH = reached; laN^kaam = Lanka.
With a desire to crush the demons in battle, the monkeys, seizing peaks of mountains and gigantic trees, reached Lanka.
śikharairvikirāmainām laṅkām muṣṭibhireva vā || 6-24-21
iti sma dadhire sarve mānāṃsi haripuṅgavāḥ |
21. sarve = all; haripuN^gavaaH = the heroic monkeys; dadhire = held; manaamsi = in their minds; iti = the following resolve; "shikharaiH = with the peaks of mountains; mushhTibhireva vaa = or with our bare fists; vikiraama = we shall shatter into pieces; enaam = this; laNkaam = Lanka.
All the heroic monkeys held the following resolve in their minds, "It is with peak of mountains or with our bare fists even, we shall shatter this Lanka into pieces."
tato rāmo mahātejāḥ sugrīva midamabravīt || 6-24-22
suvibhaktāni sainyāni śuka eṣa vimucyatām |
22. tataH = then; raamaH = Rama; mahaatejaaH = with great splendor; abraviit = spoke; idam = these words; sugrivam = to Sugriva; sainyaani = our forces; suvibhaktaam = are properly marshaled; eshhaH shukaH = let this Shuka; vimuchyataam = be released.
Then, Rama with great splendor spoke the following words to Sugriva, "Our forces are properly marshaled. Let this Shuka be released."
rāmasya tu vacaḥ śrutvā vānarendro mahābalaḥ || 6-24-23
mocayāmāsa tam dūtam śukam rāmasya śāsanāt |
23. Shrutvaa = hearing; vachanam = the words; raamasya = of Rama; vaanarendraH = Sugriva the lord of monkeys; mochayaamaasa = released; shukam = Shuka; tam duutam = that messenger; shaasanaat = by the order; raamasya = of Rama.
Hearing the words of Rama, Sugriva the lord of monkeys released Shuka the messenger, as per the order of Rama.
mocito rāmavākyena vānaraiśca nipīḍitaḥ || 6-24-24
śukaḥ paramasamtrasto rakṣodhipamupāgamat |
24. shukaH = Shuka; nipiiDitaH = who was harassed; vaanaraiH = by monkeys; mochitaH = and released; raamavaakyaena = through the words of Rama; paramasamtrastaH = was trembling with great fear; upaagamat = and reached; rakshhodhipam = Ravana.
Shuka who was harassed by the monkeys and released then as per the words of Rama, was trembling with great fear and reached Ravana.
rāvaṇaḥ prahasanneva śukam vākyamuvāca ha || 6-24-25
kimimau te sitau pakṣau lūnapakṣśca dṛśyase |
kaccinnānekacittānām teṣām tvam vaśamāgataḥ || 6-24-26
25; 26. raavaNaH = Ravana; prahasanneva = even while laughing; uvaachaha = enquired; shukam = Shuka; vaakyam = with the following words: kim = why; imou = these; te = your; pakshhou = wings; sitou = were tied up? dR^ishyase = you are appearing; luunapakshhashcha = with your wings plucked up; tvam na aagataH kachchit = Have you not fallen; teshhaam = into their; anekachittaanaam = various(fickle)minds?
Ravana, even while laughing, enquired Shuka with the following words: " why were your wings tied up? You appear with your wings plucked up. Have you not fallen as a victim to their various fickle minds?"
tataspa bhayasamvigna stadā rājñābhicoditaḥ |
vacanam pratyuvācedam rākṣasādhipamuttamam || 6-24-27
sāgarasyottare tīre.abravam te vacanam tathā |
yathāsaṃdeśamakliṣṭam sāntvayan ślakṣṇayā girā || 6-24-28
27; 28. tataH = then; saH = that Shuka; bhayasamvignaH = agitated with fear; tadaa = then; abhichoditaH = prompted; raaj^Naa = by the king Ravana; pratyuvaacha = replied; idam = with these; uttamam = exellent; vachanam = words; raakshhasaadhipam = to Ravana: uttare tiire = on the northern shore; saagarasya = of the ocean; abravam = I spoke; tathaa = as; te = your; vachanam = words; shlakshhNayaa = conciliating; yathaasandesham = as per your instructions; aklishhTam = without any ambiguity.
Asked as aforesaid by the king Ravana, Shuka agitated as he was with fear, gave him the following excellent reply: "On the northern shore of the ocean, I conveyed your message in a smooth tone, conciliating and without any ambiguity exactly as per your instructions."
kruddhaisterahamutplutya dṛṣṭamātraḥ plavaṅgamaiḥ |
gṛhito.asmyapi cārabdho hantum loptum ca muṣṭibhiḥ || 6-24-29
29. aham = I; dR^ishhTamaatraH = on just being seen; gR^ihiitaH = by those monkeys; kruddhaiH = in rage; apicha = and; aaraabddhaiH = started; hantum = beating; loptumcha = and plucking; mushhTibhiH = with their fists.
"Just on seeing me, the enraged monkeys jumped on me and seized me. They soon started beating and plucking me with their fists."
na te sambhāṣitum śakyāḥ sampraśno.atra na vidyate |
prakṛtyā kopanāstīkṣiṇā vānarā rākṣasādhipa || 6-24-30
30. raakshhasaadhipa = O; lord of demons! Te = those monkeys; nashakyaaH = are not capable of being; sambhaashhitum = spoken to; navidyate = nor possible; samprashnaH = of being questioned; atra = in this matter; vaanaraaH = monkeys; prakR^ityaaH = by their nature; kopanaaH = are angry; tiikshhNaaH = and ferocious.
"O, Lord of demons! Those monkeys are not capable of being spoken to, or possible of being questioned in this matter. Monkeys, by their very nature, are angry and ferocious."
sa ca hantā virādhasya kabandhasya kharasya ca |
sugrīvasahito rāmaḥ sītāyāḥ padamāgataḥ || 6-24-31
31. saH raamaH = that Rama; hantaa = the killer; viraadhasya = of Viradha; kabandhasya = Kabandha; kharasyacha = and Khara; aagataH = came; sugriiva sahitaH = along with Sugriva; padam = to the place; siitaayaaH = of Sita.
"That Rama the killer of Viraadha, Kabandha and Khara came along with Sugriva to the place of Sita."
sa kṛtvā sāgare setum tīrtvā ca lavaṇodadhim |
eṣa rakṣāsi nirdhūya dhanvī tiṣṭhati rāghavaḥ || 6-24-32
32. kR^itvaa = having constructed; setum = a bridge; saagare = across the sea; tiirtvaa = and having crossed; lavaNodadhim = the salty ocean; nirdhuuya = and expelling; rakshaamsi = the demons; raaghavaH = Rama; eshhaH = as such; tishhThati = stands; dhanvii = wielding a bow.
"Having constructed a bridge across the sea and crossed the salty ocean and expelling the demons, here stands Rama wielding a bow."
ṛkṣavānarasamghānāmanīkāni sahasraśaḥ |
girimeghanikāśānām cādayanti vasundharām || 6-24-33
33. sahasrashaH = thousands; aniikaani = of divisions; R^ikshhavaanarasamghavaam = of crowds of bears and monkeys; girimegha nikashaanaam = resembling mountains and clouds; chhaadayanti = cover; vasundharaam = the earth.
"Thousands of divisions of hordes of bears and monkeys resembling mountains and clouds, cover the earth."
rākṣasānām balaughasya vānarendrabalasya ca |
naitayorvidyate saṃdhirdevadānavayoriva || 6-24-34
34. navidyate = there is no more possibility; samdhiH = of an alliance; etayoH = between these two armies; baloughasya = the army; raakshhasaanaam = of demons; vaanarendra balasya = and the army of Sugriva; the lord of monkeys; devadaanavayoriva = than between a god and a demon.
"There is no more possibility of an alliance between these two armies - the army of demons and the army of monkeys- than between a God and a demon."
purā prākāramāyānti kṣipramekataram kuru |
sītām vāsmai prayaccāśu yuddham vāpi pradīyatām || 6-24-35
35. puraa aayanti = very soon; (they) can come; praakaaram = to the rampart; kuru = do; ekataram = any one of the two acts; kshhipram = immediately; prayachchha vaa = either to restore; siitaam = Sita; yuddhamvaapi = or combat ; pradiiyataam = may be offered; asmai = to him; aashu = soon.
"Very soon they will come to our rampart. Immediately, do any one of these two acts- either to restore Sita or to offer a combat to him."
śukasya vacanam śrutvā rāvaṇo vākya mabravīt |
roṣasamraktanayano nirdahanniva cakṣuṣā || 6-24-36
36. shrutvaa = hearing; vachanam = the words; shukasya = of Shuka; raavaNaH = Ravana; roshhasamraktanayanaH = with his eyes becoming blood red in anger; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = these words; nirdahanniva = as if he would consume him; chakshhusaa = with his glance.
Hearing the words of Shuka, Ravana with his eyes becoming blood red in anger, as if he would consume him with his glance, said as follows:
yadi mām pratiyudhyeran devagandharvadānavāḥ |
naiva sītām pradāsyāmi sarvalokabhayādapi || 6-24-37
37. sarva loka bhayaadapi = even if I were frightened by all worlds; maam pratiyuddhyerannapi = or even if I were to face a battle; devagandharva daanavaaH = with celestials; Gandharvas(celestial singers) or demons; naiva pradaasyaami = I would not give back; siitaam = Sita.
"Even if I were frightened by all the worlds or even if I were to face a battle with celestials or Gandharvas (celestial singers) or demons, I would not give back Sita."
kadā samabhidhānanti māmakā rāghavam śarāḥ |
vasante puṣpitam mattā bhramarā iva pādapam || 6-24-38
38. kadaa = when; maamakaaH = will my; shavaaH = arrows; samabhidhaavanti = soon fall; raaghavam = upon Rama; bhramaraaH iva = as large black bees; mattaaH = exited with joy; (fall upon) paadapam = a tree; pushhpitam = in bloom; vasante = at spring time?
"When will my arrows soon fall upon Rama, as large black bees excited with joy fall upon a tree in bloom at spring time?"
kadā śoṇitadigdhāṅgam dīpaiḥ kārmukavicyutaiḥ |
śarairādīpayiṣyāmi ulkābhiriva kuñjaram || 6-24-39
39. kadaa = when; aadii payishhyaami = shall I consume; diiptaiH = by the blazing; sharaiH = arrows; kaarmuka vichyutaiH = released from my bow; shoNita digdhaaNgam = his body flowing with blood; ulkaabhiriva = as flaming torches; (destroy) kuN^jaram = an elephant?
"When shall I consume his body flowing with blood, by the blazing arrows released from my bow, as flaming torches destroy an elephant?"
taccāsya balamādāsye balena mahatā vṛtaḥ |
jyotiṣāmiva sarveṣām prabhāmudyandivākaraḥ || 6-24-40
40. vR^itaH = endowed with; mahataa = a huge; balena = army; aadaasye = I shall eclipse ; tat = the aforesaid; balam = army; asya = of Rama; prabhaamiva = as the brilliance; sarveshhaam jyotishhaam = of all stars; udyan = at the rising; divaakaraH = of the sun.
"Endowed with a huge army I shall eclipse the aforesaid army of Rama, as the brilliance of all stars is obscured at the rising of the sun."
sāgarasyeva me vego mārutasyeva me balam |
na ca dāśarathirveda tena mām yoddhumiccati || 6-24-41
41. me = my; vegaH- = rashness; sagarasyeva = is like that of the sea. Me = my; balam = strength; marutasyeva = is like that of the wind; daasharathiH = Rama; nachaveda = is not aware of it; tena = that is why; ichchati = he desires; maam yoddhum = to meet me in combat.
"My rashness is like that of the sea and my strength is like that of the wind. Rama is not aware of it. That is why, he is desirous of meeting me in a combat."
na me tūṇīśayān bāṇān saniṣāniva pannagān |
rāmaḥ paśyati samgrāme tena mām yoddhumiccati || 6-24-42
42. raamaH = Rama; na pashyati = has not seen; me baanaan = my arrows; savishhaan pannagaaniva = resembling venomous serpents; tuuNiishayaan = in my quiver; tena = that is why; ichchhati = he desires; yoddhum = to fight; maam = with me.
"Rama has not seen my arrows resembling venomous serpents lying in my quiver. That is why, he desires to fight with me."
na jānāti purā vīryam mama yuddhe sa rāghavaḥ |
mama cāpamayīm vīṇām śarakoṇaiḥ pravāditām || 6-24-43
jyāśabadatumulām ghorāmārtagītamahāsvanām |
nārācatalasamnādām tām mamāhitavāhinīm || 6-24-44
avagāhya maharaṅgam vādayiṣyāntagan raṇe |
43; 44. saH raaghavaH = that Rama; puraa = formerly; najaanaati = was not aware; mama = of my; viiryam = prowess; Yuddhe = in battle; vaadayishhyaami = I shall cause to resound; viiNaam = Vina; mama chaapa mayiim = in the form of my bow; naaraachatala samvaadaam = which is played on; with the heads of my arrows; jyaashabda tumulaam = the bow string producing a tumultuous sound; aartagiita mahaasvanaam = the huge cries of the wounded ; ghoraam = its terrible accompaniment; shara koNaiH = the darts; pravaaditaam = sounding its innumerable notes; (when) aham = I; avagaahya = enter; mahaaraN^gam = a vast stage; maam ahitavaahiniim = in the form of my enemy ranks; taam = in that; raNe = battle.
Rama was not formerly aware of my prowess in battle. I shall cause to resound Vina (a musical instrument) in the form of my bow, which is played on with the heads of my arrows, the bow string producing a tumultuous sound, the huge cries of the wounded its terrible accompaniment, the darts sounding its innumerable notes, when I enter a vast stage in the form of my enemy ranks in that battle."
na vāsavenāpi sa hasracakṣuṣā |
yuddhe.asmi śakyo varuṇena vāsvayam |
yameva vā dharṣayitum śarāgninā |
mahāhave vaiśravaṇena vā svayam || 6-24-45
45. vaaasavenaapi = neither by Devendra; the god of celestials; sahasrachakshhushhaa = the thousand eyed; varuNenaapi = nor by Varuna; the god of waters; svayam = in person; yuddhe = in combat; yamanaivaa = nor by Yama the god of death; sharaagninaa = with the fire of his arrows; vaishravaNenavaa = nor by Kubera the lord of riches; svayam = in person; shakyaH = can I be able; dharshhayitum = to be attacked; mahaahave = in a great battle.
"Neither by the thousand eyed Indra the god of celestials nor by Varuna the God of waters in person in a combat, nor by Yama the god of death with the fire of his arrows, nor by Kubera the lord of riches in person, can I be able to be attacked in a great battle."
- - - -
ityārṣe śrīmadrāmāyaṇe ādikāvye yuddhakāṇḍe caturviṃśaḥ sargaḥ
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© March 2004, K. M. K. Murthy