As per the advice of Sardula, Ravana sends Shuka to Sugriva as an ambassador. The monkeys harass him, who came to their place as a spy. But because of Rama's gracefulness, Shuka comes out of danger. Sugriva gives a fitting reply to Ravana's message sent through Shuka. When monkeys again try to bind him and harass him, Rama prevents them from killing him.
tato niviṣṭām dhvajinīm sugrīveṇābhipālitām |
dadarśa rākṣaso.abhyetya śārdūlo nāma vīryavān || 6-20-1
1. tataH = thereafter; viiryavaan = an energic;; raakshhasaH = demon; shaarduulo naama = named Shardula; abhyetya = came; dadarsha = and saw; dhvajiniim = army; abhipaalitam = ruled; sugriveNa = by Sugriva; nivishhTaam = which was drawn up in battle array.
Thereafter, an energetic demon named Shardula came and saw the army, commanded by Sugriva, which was drawn up in a battle array.
cāro rākṣasarājasya rāvaṇasya durātmanaḥ |
tām dṛṣṭvā sarvato.avyagram pratigamya sa rākṣasaḥ || 6-20-2
āviśya laṅkām vegena rājānamidamabravīt |
2. saH raakshhasaH = that demon; chaaraH = a spy; raavaNasya = of Ravana; raakshhasaraajasya = the king of demons; duraatmanaH = the evil natured; avyagraH = coolly; dR^ishhTvaa = seeing; tam = that army; sarvataH = from all sides; pratigamya = returned; vegena = speedily; aavishya = entered; laNkaam = Lanka; abraviit = and spoke; idam = these words; raajaanam = to the king.
That demon, the spy of Ravana the evil natured king of ogres, coolly observed that army from all sides, speedily returned to Lanka and spoke to their king as follows:
eṣa vai vānararkṣagho laṅkām samabhivartate || 6-20-3
agādhaścāprameyaśca dvitīya iva sāgaraḥ |
3. agaadhashcha = boundless; aprameyashcha = and immeasurable; dvitiiyaH saagaraH iva = like a second ocean; eshhaH = this; vaanararkshhoughaH = multitude of monkeys and bears; samabhivartate = is approaching ; laNkaam = Lanka.
"Boundless and immeasurable like another ocean, this multitude of monkeys and bears is approaching Lanka.".
putrau daśarathasyemau bhrātarau rāmalakṣmaṇau || 6-20-4
uttamau rūpasampannau sītāyāḥ padamāgatau |
etau sāgaramāsādya samniviṣṭau mahādyutī || 6-20-5
4; 5. imou = these; bhraatarou = brothers; raamalakshhmaNou = Rama and Lakshmana; putrou = the sons; dasharathasya = of Dasaratha; uttamou = the excellent men; ruupasampannou = endowed with beauty; mahaadyuti = very much dignified men; aagatou = have come; padam = in the cause; siitaayaaH = of sita; sannivishhTaa = and settled in camp; aasadya = after reaching; saagaram = the sea.
"These brothers Rama and Lakshmana, the sons of Dasaratha, the excellent and the most dignified men endowed with beauty have arrived in the cause of Sita and settled in a camp after reaching the sea shore" .
balam cākāśamāvṛtya sarvato daśayojanam |
tattvabhūtam mahāraja kṣipram veditumarhasi || 6-20-6
6. mahaaraaja = O; monarch! Balamcha = the army; aavR^itya = is employed around; aakaasham = a space; aayatam = measuring; sarvataH = on all sides; dashayojanam = ten yojanas(ten miles);archasi = you are fit; veditum = to ascertain; kshhipram = quickly; tattvabhuutam = this truth.
"O, monarch! Their army is employed around a radius of ten yojanas (eighty miles)on all sides. You have to ascertain this truth quickly"
tava dūtā mahārāja kṣipramarhanti veditum |
upapradānam sāntvam vā bhedo vātra prayujyatām || 6-20-7
7. mahaarajaH = O; monarch! Tava = your; duutaaH = spies; arhanti = are fit; veditum = to know; kshhipram = quickly; atra = under such circumstances; saantvamvaa = either conciliation;upapradaanam = or an act of giving away;bhedovaa = or sowing dissention (in the enemy's ranks); prayujyataam = may be employed.
"O, monarch! Your other spies also ought to ascertain the fact quickly. Under such circumstances, either conciliation or an act of giving away or sowing dissention (in the enemy's ranks) may be employed."
śārdūlasya vacaḥ śrutvā rāvaṇo rākṣaseśvaraḥ |
uvāca sahasā vyagraḥ sampradhāryārthamātmanaḥ || 6-20-8
śukam nāma tadā rakṣo vākyamarthavidām varam |
8. shrutvaa = hearing; shaarduulasya = shardula's; vachaH = words; raavaNaH = Ravana; raakshhaseshvaraH = the lord of demons; sahasaa = immediately; vyaaghraH = disturbed; sampradhaarya = determined; aatmaanaH = his; artham = course of action; tadaa = and then; uvaacha = spoke; vaakyam = words; rakshhaH = to a demon; shukam naama = by name Suka; varam = the foremost among; arthavidaam = those who know their duty.
Hearing Shardula's words Ravana the lord of demons was perturbed and immediately determined his cause of action. Then he spoke the following words to a demon by name, Shuka the foremost among those who know their duty.
sugrīvam brūhi gatvāśu rājānam vacanānmanu || 6-20-9
yathāsaṃdeśamaklībam śalksṇayā parayā girā |
9. gatvaa = going; aashu = quickly; bruuhi = speak; akliibam = fearlessly; raajaanam = to the king; sugriivam = Sugriva; mama = as my; vachanaat = words; yatha samdesham = according to my command; parayaa = in an excellent; shlakshhNayaa = and gentle; giraa = voice:
"Going quickly, speak fearlessly to king Sugriva on my behalf, according to my command, in an excellent and gentle voice, as follows:"
tvam vai mahāraja kulaprasūto |
na kaścanārthastava vāstyanartha |
stathāpi me bhrātṛsamo harīśa || 6-20-10
10. mahaaraaja = O; great king! tvam = you; kulaprasuutaH vai = are indeed born in a noble family; mahaabalashcha = possessing great strength; rikshharajaH sutashcha = are a son of Riksharaja; naasti = no; arthaH = gain; kashchana = whatsoever; anarthaH = nor any harm; tava = to you(from this battle); hariisha = O; lord of monkeys; tathaapi = nevertheless; bhraatrusamah = you are like a brother; me = to me.
O, great king! You are indeed born in a noble family, possessor of a great strength and are a son of Riksharaja. No gain whatsoever or any harm will accrue to you (from this battle) .O, lord of monkeys! Nevertheless, you are like a brother to me."
aham yadyaharam bhāryām rājaputrasya dhīmataḥ |
kim tatra tava sugrīva kiśkindhām prati gamyatām || 6-20-11
11. sugriva = O; Sugriva; kim = what (does it matter); tava = to you; tatra = there; aham aharamyadi = if I have embezzled; bhaaryaam = the wife ; raajaputrasya = of prince Rama; dhiimataH = the wise? Gamyataam = return; kishhkindhaam prati = to Kishkinda.
"What does it matter to you, if I have embezzled the wife of a wise prince? (Therefore) return to Kishkindha"
na hīyam haribhirlaṅkā prāptum śakyā katham cana |
devairapi sagandharvaiḥ kim punarnaravānaraiḥ || 6-20-12
12. iyam laNkaa = this Lanka; na shakyaahi = cannot indeed; praaptum = be acquired; haribhiH = by monkeys; kathamchana = in any way. (It cannot be reached) devairapi = even by celestials; sagandharvaiH = together with Gandharvas; kim punaH = what to tell; nara vaanaraiH = of reaching by men and monkeys?
"This Lanka cannot be reached by monkeys in any way. It cannot be acquired even by celestials and Gandharvas (celestial musicians), why to talk about men and monkeys?"
sa tadā rākṣasendreṇa saṃdiṣṭo rajanīcaraḥ |
śuko vihamgamo bhūtvā tūrṇamāplutya cāmbaram || 6-20-13
13. tadaa = then; shukaH = Shuka; sah = that; rajaniicharaH = demon; samdishhTah = heralded; raakshhasendreNa = by Ravana; bhuutvaa = become; vihaNgamaH = a bird; aaplutyacha = and flew; tuurNam = quickly; ambaram = into the sky.
Then Shuka the demon heralded by Ravana turned himself into the form of a bird and quickly flew into the sky.
sa gatvā dūramadhvānamuparyupari sāgaram |
saṃsthito hyambare vākyam sugrīva madimabravīt || 6-20-14
14. saH = that Shuka; gatvaa = going; adhvaanam = in the sky; duuram = for a distance; uparyupari saagaram = continuously over the ocean; samsthitaH = and stationed; ambare = in the sky(itself); abraviit = spoke; idam = these; vaakyam = words; sugriivam = to Sugriva.
Proceeding in the sky for a distance continuously over the ocean, Shuka then stood up in the sky itself and spoke these words to Sugriva:
sarvamuktam yathādiṣṭam rāvaṇena durātmanā |
tatprapayantam vacanam tūrṇamāplutya vānarāḥ || 6-20-15
prāpadyanta tadā kṣipram loptum hantum ca muṣṭibhiḥ |
15. yathaa = As was ; aadishhTam = directed; raavaNena = by Ravana; duraatmanaa = the wicked; sarvam = all that; uktam = was told; praapayantam = while receiving ; tat = those; vachanam = words; vaanaraaH = the monkeys; aaplutya = jumped up; praapadyanta = reached him; tadaa = at that moment; kshhipram = quickly; tuurNam = and speedily; loptum = to tear off his wings; hantumcha = and to strike him; mushhTibhiH = by their fists.
Shuka repeated all the words the wicked Ravana had told him to say to Sugriva. As he was still speaking, the monkeys bounded into the air to reach him at that moment quickly to tear off his wings and to smite him by their fists.
sarvaiḥ plavaṇgaiḥ prasabham nigṛhīto niśācarah || 6-20-16
gaganādbhūtale cāśu pratigṛhyāvatāritaḥ |
16. nigR^ihiitaH = the attacked; nishhaacharaH = demon; prasabham = was forcibly; pratigR^ihya = seized; sarvaiH = by all; plavaNgaiH = monkeys; aashu = and immediately; avataaritaH = brought down; bhuutale = to the ground; gaganaat = from the sky.
The demon thus attacked was forcibly seized by all the monkeys and immediately brought down to the ground from the sky.
vānaraiḥ pīḍyamānastu śuko vacanamabravīt || 6-20-17
na dūtān ghnanti kākutthsa vāryantām sādhu vānarāḥ |
17. shukaH = Shuka; piiDyamaanaH = being harassed; vaanaraiH = by monkeys; abraviit = spoke; vachanam = these words; kakutthsa = O; Rama! Duutaan = messengers; naghnanti = are not killed; vaanaraaH = let the monkeys; vaaryantaam = be restrained; saadhu = properly.
Shuka being harassed by monkeys spoke the following words: "O, Rama! Messengers are not to be killed. Let your monkeys be restrained properly."
yastu hitvā matam bhartuḥ svamatam samprabhāṣate || 6-20-18
anuktavādī dūtaḥ sann sa dūto vadhamarhati |
18. yaH = who; hitvaa = abandon; matam = the intent; bhartuH = of his lord; samprabhaashhate = will speak; svamatam = about his own intent; duutaH sau = through being a messenger; saH duutaH = that messenger; anukta vaadii = who speaks which was not told; arhati = is fit; vadham = for killing
"That messenger, who by abandoning the opinion of his king will speak about his own opinion though he being a messenger and he who on the other hand speaks that which was not told to him, that messenger is indeed fit to be killed."
śukasya vacanam rāmaḥ śrutvā tu paridevitam || 6-20-19
uvāca mā vadhisṭeti ghnataḥ śākhāmṛgarṣabhān |
19. shrutvaa = hearing; shukasya = Shuka's; vachanam = words; paridevitam = and his complaint; raamaH = Rama;uvaachaam = spoke; iti = thus; shakhaa mR^igarshhabhaan = to the foremost of monkeys; ghnatah = who were beating; maa vadhishhTa = "do not kill."
Hearing Shuka's complaining words, Rama spoke to the foremost of monkeys, who were beating him as aforesaid, saying "Do not kill him"
sa ca patralaghudbhūtvā haribhirdarśite.abhaye || 6-20-20
antarikṣe sthito bhūtvā punarvacana mabravīt |
20. darshite = perceiving; abhaye = no fear; haribhiH = from the monkeys; saH cha = he; bhuutvaa = became; patra laghuH = light winged; bhuutvaa = virtually; sthitaH = standing; antarikshhe = in the sky; abraviit = and spoke; vachanam = these words; punaH = again:
Perceiving no fear from monkeys, Shuka became light winged, virtually standing in the sky and spoke again the following words.
sugrīva sattvasampanna mahābalaparākrama || 6-20-21
kim mayā khalu naktavyo rāvaṇo lokarāvaṇaḥ |
21. sugriiva = O;Sugriva; sattvasampannaH = rich in courage; mahaabalaparaakrama = possessing strength and great valor; kim = what; raavaNaH = Ravana; lokaraavaNah = who causes the world to cry; vaktvyaH = is to be told; mayaa = by me?
"O, Sugriva, rich in courage and possessing great strength and valor! What am I to tell Ravana, whose nature is to cause world to cry?"
sa evamuktaḥ plavagādhipastadā |
plavaṅgamānāmṛṣabho mahābalaḥ |
uvāca vākyam rajanīcarasya |
cāram śukam śuddha madīnasattvaḥ || 6-20-22
22. evam = thus; uktvaa = being told; mahaabalaH = the mighty strong; saH = Sugriva; plavagaadhipaH = the king of monkeys; plavaNgamaanaam RishhabhaH = and the foremost among the monkeys; tadaa = then; adiina sattvaH = with a merciless mind; uvaacha = spoke; vaakyam = these words; shuddham shukam = to the blame less Shuka; rajaniicharasya = Ravana's; chaaram = spy:
Hearing the aforesaid words, the mightily strong Sugriva the king of monkeys and the foremost among them, with a merciless mind then spoke to the blame less Shuka, Ravana's spy, as follows:
sa me.asi mitram va tathānukampyo |
na copakartāsi na me priyo.api |
ariśca rāmasya sahānubandha |
stato.asi vālīva vadhārha vadhyaḥ || 6-20-23
23. vadhaarha = O; Ravana; worthy of killing! Na asi = you are not; me = my; mitram = friend; tathaa = and; na = you are not; anukampyaH = worthy of sympathy; na asi = you are not; upakartaacha = the person who helps; na api = you are not; priyaH = beloved; me = to me; (you are); raamasya = Rama's; ariH = enemy; tataH = therefore; asi = you are; vadhyaH = enemy to be killed; sahaanubandhaH = along with your associates; vaalina = like Vali.
"O, Ravana, worthy of killing! You are not my companion. You are not worthy of sympathy. You are not the person who helped me in any way. I do not like you, as you are Rama's enemy. Hence, You are worthy to be killed like Vali, along with your associates"
nihanmyaham tvām sasutam sabandhum |
sajñātivargam rajanīcareśa |
laṅkām ca sarvām mahatā balena |
sarvaiḥ kariṣyāmi sametya bhasma || 6-20-24
24. rajaniicharesha = O; the king of demons! aham = I; nihanmi = am killing; tvaam = you; sasutam = along with your sons; sabandhum = along with your relatives; sa jN^aati vargam = along with your kinsfolk; sametya = together; mahataa balena = with my great army; karishhyaami = I will make; sarvaam = the entire; laNkaam = Lanka; sarvaH = along with all of you; bhasma = to ashes.
"O, the king of demons! I am killing you along with your sons, relatives and other kinsfolk. Arriving with a great army, I will reduce the entire Lanka and all of you to ashes."
na mokṣyase rāvaṇa rāghavasya |
sarvaiḥ sahendraidapi mūḍha guptaḥ |
antarhataḥ sūryapatham gato.api|
tathaiva pātālamanupraviṣṭaḥ || 6-20-25
girīśapādambujasamgato vā |
hato.asi rāmeṇa śānujastvam || 6-20-26
25; 26. raavaNa = O; Ravana; muuDha = the stupid! Tvam = you; na mokshhyase = will not be left; sahaanujaH = along with your younger brother; raaghavasya = by Rama; guptaH api = even if protected; sarvaiH = by all; sahendraiH = including Indra; antarhitaH = even if disappeared; gatovaa = or obtained; suuryapatham = the solar path; tathaiva = and so also; anupravishhTaH = if you entered; paatalam = the nethermost subterranean region; giiriisha paadaammbuja sangatovaa = or even if approached the lotus feet of Shiva( the lord of Kailasa mountain).
"O, stupid Ravana! You along with your younger brother will not be left unkilled by Rama, even if you are protected by all including Indra (the lord of celestials) or even if you have disappeared (by virtue of conjuring trick) or obtained, the solar orbit or entered the nethermost subterranean region or even if approached the lotus feet of Shiva (the lord of Kailasa mountain)"
tasya te triṣu lokeṣu na piśācam na rākṣasam |
trātāramanupaśyāmi na gandharvam na cāsuram || 6-20-27
27. na anupashyaami = I do not see; traataaram = any protector; te = to you; tasya = as such; trishhu lokeshhu = in the three worlds; na = nor do I see; pishaacham = a devilish being; na = nor; raakshhasam = a demon; na = nor; gandharvam = a Gandhrva (celestial musician); na = nor; asuramcha = an ogre.
"I do not see any protector to you as such in the three worlds, nor do I see any devilish being or a demon or a Gandharva (celestial musician) or an ogre coming forward to protect you."
avadhīstvam jarāvṛddham gṛdhrārājam jaṭāyuṣam |
kim mate rāmasāmnidhye sakāśe lakṣmaṇasya ca || 6-20-28
hṛtā sītā viśālākṣi yām tvam gṛhya na budhyase |
28. tvam = you; avadhiiH = killed; jaTaayushham = Jatayu; gR^idhraraajam = the king of vultures; jaraavR^iddham = and who was senior due to old age; kimnu = why; visaalaakshhii = the wide eyed; siitaa = Sita; nahR^itaa = was not taken away; raama saannidhye = in the presence of Rama; sakaashe = and in the presence; lakshhmaNa = of Lakshmana; tvam = you; gR^ihya = having seized her; na budhyase = do not recognize her; yaam = what she is.
"You killed Jatayu, the king of vultures and who was senior to you in old age. Why the wide-eyed Sita was not taken away in the presence of Rama and Lakshmana? Having made her captive, you do not recognize her for what she is."
mahābalam mahātmānam durādharṣam surairapi || 6-20-29
na budhyase raghuśreṣṭham yaste prāṇān hariṣyati |
29. na budhyase = you are unaware; mahaabalam = how much strong; mahaatmaanam = high soled; duraadarshham = and irresistible; surai rapi = even to celestials; Raghu shreshhTam = is this excellent man of Raghu dynasty; yaH = who; harishhyati = shall deprive; te = you; praaNaan = of your lives.
"You are unaware how strong, high soled and irresistible even to celestials, is this Rama the excellent man of Raghu dynasty, who shall deprive you of your life."
tato.abravīdvālisuto.apyaṅgado harisattamaḥ || 6-20-30
vāyam dūto mahāprājña cārakaḥ pratibhāti me |
30. tataH = thereafter; angadaH = Angada; vaalisutaH = the son of Vali; harisattamaH = and the foremost of the monkeys; abraviit = spoke; (as follows) mahaa prajN^a = O; Sugriva the highly intelligent! ayam = He; na = is not; duutaH = an ambassador; pratibhaati = he appears; me = to me; chaarakaH = as a spy.
Thereafter, Angada the son of Vali and the foremost of the monkeys spoke as follows: "O, Sugriva the highly intelligent! He is not an ambassador. He appears to me as a spy."
tulitam hi balam sarvamanena tava tiṣṭhatā || 6-20-31
gṛhyatām māgamallaṅkā metaddhi mama rocate |
31. sarvam = all; balam = our army; tulitam hi = indeed has been evaluated; anena = by him; tishhThataa = standing here; gRi^hyataam = let him be made captive; maa gamaat = le him not return; laNkaam = to Lanka; etat hi = this indeed; rochate = finds favor; mama = with me.
"All our army has been indeed evaluated by him, standing here. Let him be made captive. Let him not return to Lanka. This indeed finds favor with me."
tato rājñā samādiṣṭāḥ samutpatya valīmukhāḥ || 6-20-32
jagṛhuśca babandhuśca vilapantamanāthavat |
32. tataH = then; samaadishhTaaH = commanded; raajN^aa = by the king Sugriva; valiimukhaaH = the monkeys; samutpatya = jumped up; jagR^ihushcha = seized; babandhushcha = and bound him; anaathavat = who without defence; vilapantam = wailed loudly.
Commanded then by the king Sugriva, the monkeys jumped up, seized and bound him, who without defence, wailed loudly.
śukastu vānaraiśca ṇḍaistatra taiḥ samprapīḍitaḥ || 6-20-33
vyācukrośa mahātmānam rāmam daśarathātmajam |
33. samprapiiDitaah = harassed; taiH vaanaraiH = by those monkeys; chaN^DaiH = who were fierce; tatra = there; shukastu = Shuka on his part; vyaachukrosha = cried loudly; raamam = to Rama; mahaatmaanam = the high soled; dasharathaatmajam = son of Dasaratha(as follows):
Harassed by those monkeys there, Shuka on his part cried loudly towards Rama, the high soled son of Dasaratha as follows:
lupyete me balātpakṣau bhidyete me tathākṣiṇī || 6-20-34
yām ca rātrim mariṣyāmi jāye rātrim ca yāmaham |
etasminnantre kāle manmayā cāśubham kṛtam || 6-20-35
sarvam tadupapadyethā jahyam cedyadi jīvitam |
34;35. me = my; pakshhou = wings; lupyete = are being pulled out; balata = forcibly; tathaa = and; me akshhiNii = my eyes; bhidyete = are being pierced; jahyaam chedyadi = if I abandon; jiivitam = my life; yat = which; ashhubham = sin; kR^itam = done; mayaa = by me; ekasmin antare kale = between this period; aham = I; jaaye = was born; yaamcha = on which; raatrim = night; yaamcha = and on which; raatrim = night; marishhyaami = I shall die; tat sarvam = all that; upapadyethaaH = would fall to your share.
"My wings are being pulled out forcibly. My eyes are being pierced. If I die, all the sins incurred by me between my birth and my death would fall to your share."
nāghātayattadā rāmaḥ śrutvā tatparidevitam || 6-20-36
vānarānabravīdrāmo mucyatām dūta āgataḥ |
36. tadaa = then; shrutaa = hearing; tat = that; paridevanam = lamentation; raamaH = Rama; na aghaatayat = did not cause his killing; raamah = Rama; abraviit = told; vaanaraam = Vanaras; muchyataam = let him be forced; aagataH = as he came; duutaH = as an ambassador.
Hearing that lamentation of Shuka, Rama did not allow his killing by the monkeys. Rama ordered monkeys to release him, as he came as an ambassador.
- - - -
ityārṣe śrīmadrāmāyaṇe ādikāvye uddhakāṇḍe viṃśaḥ sargaḥ
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© December 2003, K. M. K. Murthy
Global View of
The Fastest FTPS and FTPS on the planet FREE Go FTP Program