Descending from the sky, Vibhishana seeks refuge at the feet of Rama. On Rama's enquiry, he explains about the strength of Ravana. Rama promises to kill Ravana and anoints Vibhishana. Rama sits on the sea -shore, seeking the help of the ocean god to yield a passage for his army to pass through and reach the city of Lanka.
राघवेन अभये दत्ते सम्नतो रावण अनुजः |
विभीषणो महाप्राज्ञो भूमिम् समवलोकयत् || ६-१९-१
1. abhaye = (while); assurance of protection; datte = having given; raaghaveNa = by Rama; mahaapraaG^yaH = the highly sagacious; vibhiishhaNaH = Vibhishana; raavaNaanuje = the brother of Ravana; samnataH = bent down; samavalokayat = and glanced towards; bhuumim = the earth.
While the assurance of protection having been given to Rama, the highly sagacious Vibhishana the brother of Ravana bent down and glanced towards the earth.
खात् पपात अवनिम् हृष्टो भक्तैर् अनुचरैः सह |
स तु रामस्य धर्म आत्मा निपपात विभीषणः || ६-१९-२
2. saH = that; dharmaatmaa = virtuous; vibhiishhaNaH = Vibhishana; papaata = descended; hR^ishhTaH = joyously; khaat = from the sky; avanim = to the ground; bhaktaiH anucharaiH saha = along with his faithful companions; nipapaata = and alighted; raamasya = near Rama.
The virtuous Vibhishana descended joyously from the sky to the ground along with his faithful companions and alighted in the vicinity of Rama.
पादयोः शरण अन्वेषी चतुर्भिः सह राक्षसैः |
अब्रवीच् च तदा रामम् वाक्यम् तत्र विभीषणः || ६-१९-३
धर्म युक्तम् च युक्तम् च साम्प्रतम् सम्प्रहर्षणम् |
3. atha = thereafter; vibhiishhaNaH = Vibhishana; chaturbhiH raakshhasaiH saha = along with four demons; nipapaata = fell prostrate; abravichcha = and spoke; raamam prati = to Rama; vaakyam = the following words; yuktamcha = which were right; saapratam = suitable; sampraharshhaNam = and joyful.
Thereafter, Vibhishana along with the four demons fell prostrate and spoke to Rama the following words which were equitable suitable and delightful.
अनुजो रावणस्य अहम् तेन च अस्मि अवमानितः || ६-१९-४
भवन्तम् सर्व भूतानाम् शरण्यम् शरणम् गतः |
4. aham = I; anujaH = an younger brother; raavaNasya = of Ravana; avamaaniteshcha = and was humiliated; tena = by him; sharaNam gataH = I sought refuge; bhavantam = in you; sharaNyam = who are the refuge; sarvabhuutaanaam = for all the beings.
"I am the younger brother of Ravana and was humiliated by him. I sought refuge in you, who are the refuge for all the beings."
परित्यक्ता मया लंका मित्राणि च धनानि च || ६-१९-५
भवद् गतम् हि मे राज्यम् च जीवितम् च सुखानि च |
5. laNkaa = Lanka; parityakta = who was abandoned; mayaa = by me; mitraaNi = the friends; dhanaanicha = and the possessions too; me = my; raajyam = kingdom; bhavadgatamhi = is indeed; at your disposal; jiivitam = my life; sukhaanicha = and happiness too.
"Abandoning Lanka, friends and possessions, I place my kingdom, life and happiness at your disposal."
तस्य तद्वचनम् श्रुत्वा रामो वचनमब्रवीत् || ६-१९-६
वचसा सान्त्वयित्वैनम् लोचनाभ्याम् पिबन्निव |
आख्याहि मम तत्वेन राक्षसानाम् बलाबलम् || ६-१९-७
6; 7. shrutvaa = hearing; tatvachanam = those words; tasya = of Vibhishana; raamaH = Rama; saantvayitvaa = in soothing tone; pibanniva = while soothing to refresh; lochanaabhyaam = with his eyes; abraviit = spoke; vachanam = words; aakhyaahi = Tell; mama = me; tattvena = really; balaabalam = the strengths and weaknesses; raakshhasaanaam = of the demons."
Hearing those words of Vibhishana, Rama in a soothing tone and with a refreshing look in his eyes, spoke these words: "Tell me really the strengths and weaknesses of the demons."
एवमुक्तम् तदा रक्षो रामेणाक्लिष्टकर्मणा |
रावणस्य बलम् सर्वमाख्यातुमुपचक्रमे || ६-१९-८
8. evam = thus; uktam = asked; tadaa = then; raameNa = by Rama; aklishhTakarmaNaa = who was unwearied in action; rakshhaH = Vibhishana; upachakrame = started; aakhyaatum = telling; uktam = a word; sarvam = about the entire; balam = strength; raavaNasaya = of Ravana.
Thus asked then by Rama who was unwearied in action, Vibhishana started telling about the detailed strength of Ravana.
अवध्यः सर्वभूतानाम् गन्धर्वोरगपक्षिणाम् |
राजपुत्र दशग्रीवो वरदानात्स्वयम्भुवः || ६-१९-९
9. raajaputra = O; prince! Varadaanaat = because of a special boon given; svayambhuvaH = by Brahma (the lord of celestials); dashagriivaH = Ravana; avadhyaH = cannot be killed; gandharvoragapakshhiNaam = by Gandharvas; serpents and birds.
"O, prince! Because of a special boon given by Brahma (lord of creation), Ravana can not be killed by all beings, Gandharvas (celestial musicians), serpents, and birds."
रावणानन्तरो भ्राता मम ज्येष्ठश्च वीर्यवान् |
कुम्भकर्णो महातेजाः शक्रप्रतिबलो युधि || ६-१९-१०
10. kumbhakarNaH = Kumbhakarna; bhraataa = a brother; raavaNaanantaraH = born after Ravana; mama jyeshhThashcha = and my elder brother; viiryavaan = who is valiant; mahaatejaa = and highly powerful; shakrapratibalaH = has a strength to fight against Indra (the lord of celestials); Yuddhi = in battle.
Kumbhakarna, my elder brother born after Ravana, who is valiant and highly powerful, has enough strength to fight against Indra (Lord of celestials) in battle.
राम सेनापतिस्तस्य प्रहस्तो यदि ते श्रुतः |
कैलासे येन सम मणिभद्रः पराजितः || ६-१९-११
11. raama = O; Rama; yena = by whom; maNibhadraH = Manibhadra; paraajitaH = was defeated; samare = in battle; kailaase = on the mountain of Kailasa; tasyasenaapatiH = that chief of army; prahastaH = Prahasta; shrutaHyadi = is it mentioned; te = to you?
"O, Rama! You might have heard about Prahasta, his chief of army. He defeated Manibhadra in a battle on the mountain of Kailasa."
बद्दगोधाङ्गुलित्रश्च अवध्यकवचो युधि |
धनुरादाय यस्तिष्ठन्नदृश्यो भवतीन्द्रजित् || ६-१९-१२
12. baddha jodhaaNgulitrashcha = when furnished with gloves made of the skin of an Iguana (to prevent injury from the bow string); avadhyakavachaH = and when clad in armor that no arrow can pierce; yaH = that; Indrajit = Indrajit; aadaaya = wielding; dhanuH = his bow; bhavati = becomes; adhR^ishyaH = invisible; tishhThan = standing; yudhi = in battle field.
"When furnished with gloves made of the skin of Iguana (to prevent injury from the bowstring) and when clad in armor that no arrow can pierce, that Indrajit (son of Ravana) standing in battle wielding a bow, becomes invisible."
सम्ग्रामे सुमहद्व्यूहे तर्पयित्वा हुताशनम् |
अन्तर्धानगतः श्रीमानिन्द्रजिद्धन्ति राघव || ६-१९-१३
13. raaghava = O; Rama! Shriimaan = the glorious; Indrajit = Indrajit; tarpayitvaa = having propitiated; hutaashanam = the God of Fire; hanti = strikes; (the enemy) antardhaanegataH = while remaining invisible; sangraame = in the battle field; sumahadvyuuhe = with a huge battle array (on both sides)
"O, Rama! The glorious Indrajit, having propitiated the God of Fire, strikes his enemy while remaining invisible in the battle field with a huge battle array (on both sides)"
महोदरमहापार्स्वौ राक्षसश्चाप्यकम्पनः |
अवीकपास्तु तप्यैते लोकपालसमा युधि || ६-१९-१४
14. mahodara = Mahodara; mahaapaarshvaa = and Mahaparshva; raakshhasashcha = along with a demon; akampanaH = called Akampana; lokapaalasamaaH = who are equal to the guardians of the world; yudhi = in battle; ete = they are; tasya = his; aniikapaaH = commanders of army.
"Mahodara and Mahaparsva along with a demon called Akampana who are equal to the guardians of the world in battle - they are the commanders of his army."
दशकोटिसहस्राणि रक्षसाम् कामरूपिणाम् |
मांसशोणितभक्ष्याणाम् लङ्कापुरनिवासिनाम् || ६-१९-१५
15. dashakoti sahasraaNi = ten thousand crores; rakshhasaam = of demons; laNkaapuranivaasinaam = who reside in the city of Lanka; kaamaruupiNaam = can assume any form at will ; maamsa shoNita bhakshhyaaNaam = and eat flesh and blood as their staple food.
"In the city of Lanka, are residing ten thousand crore demons, who can assume any form at will and who consume flesh and blood as their staple food"
स तैस्तु सहितो राजा लोकपालानयोधयत् |
सह देवैस्तु ते भग्ना रावणेन दुरात्मना || ६-१९-१६
16. saH = that; raajaa = king Ravana; saha = along with; tataiH = those demons; ayodhayat = made war; lokapaalaan = against the guardians of the earth; devaiHsaha = along with celestials; bhagnaaH = were defeated; raavaNena = by Ravana; duraatmanaa = the wicked one.
"King Ravana along with those demons made war against the guardians of the earth. Those guardians of the earth along with the celestials were defeated by the wicked Ravana."
विभीषणस्य तु वचस्तछ्रुत्वा रघुसत्तमः |
अन्वीक्ष्य मनसा सर्वमिदम् वचनमब्रवीत् || ६-१९-१७
17. shrutvaa = hearing; tat = those; vachaH = words; vibhiishhaNasya = of Vibhishana; raghusattamaH = Rama; anviikshhya = examined; sarvam = all; manasaa = attentively; abraviit = and spoke; idam = those; vachanam = words.
Hearing the aforesaid words of Vibhishana, Rama scrutinized them all attentively and spoke the following words:
यानि कर्मापदानानि रावणस्य विभीषण |
अख्यातानि च तत्त्वेन ह्यवगच्चामि तान्यहम् || ६-१९-१८
18. vibhiishhaNa = O;Vibhishana; aham = I; avagachchhaami hi = indeed know; taani = those; karmaapadaani = feats; raavanasya = of Ravana; yaani = which; aakhyaataami = were told; tattena = really (by you).
"O, Vibhishana! I indeed know those feats standing to the credit of Ravana, which were told by you, as true."
अहम् हत्वा दशग्रीवम् सप्रहस्तम् सहात्मजम् |
राजानम् त्वाम् करिष्यामि सत्यमेतच्छृणोतु मे || ६-१९-१९
19. hatvaa = after killing; dashagriivam = Ravana; saprahastam; along with Prahasta; sahaatmajam = and his son(Indrajit); karishhyaami = I will make; tvaam = you; raajaanam = the king; shruNotu = here; etat = this; satyam = truth; me = from me.
"After killing Ravana along with Prahasta and his son (Indrajit), I will make you the king. Hear this truth from me."
रसातलम् वा प्रविशेत्पातालम् वापि रावणः |
पितामहसकाशम् वा न मे जीवन्विमोक्ष्यते || ६-१९-२०
20. raavaNaH = Ravana; pravishet = may well enter ; rasaatalam = Rasaatala; paataalamvaapi = or even Paataala; pitaamaha sakaasham vaa = or seek the presence of Brahma; na vimokshhyate = he will not be left; jiivan = alive; me = by me.
"Ravana may well plunge into Rasaatala (the penultimate subterranean region) or even Paataala (the nethermost subterranean region) or seek the presence of Brahma and he will not be left alive by me."
अहत्वा रावणम् सम्ख्ये सपुत्रजनबान्धवम् |
अयोध्याम् न प्रवेक्ष्यामि त्रिभिस्तैर्भ्रतृभिः शपेः || ६-१९-२१
21. na pravekshhyaami = I will not enter; ayodhyaam = Ayodhya; ahatvaa = without killing; raavaNaam = Ravana; saputra jana baandhavam = together with his sons; companions and relatives; samkhye = in battle; shape = I swear; taiH = on those; tribhiH = three; bhraatR^ibhiH = brothers.
"I will not enter Ayodhya without killing Ravana together with his sons, companions and relatives in battle. I take oath on my three brothers."
श्रुत्वा तु वचनम् तस्य रामस्याक्लिष्टकर्मणः |
शिरसा वन्द्य धर्मात्मा वक्तुमेव प्रचक्रमे || ६-१९-२२
22. shrutvaa = hearing; vachanam = the words; tasya raamasya = of that Rama; aklishhTakarmaNaH = who was unwearied in action; dharmaatmaa = Vibhishana; the right minded; aavandya = saluted; shivasaa = (by bowing) his mind; prachakrama = and started; vaktumeva = to tell; (the following words):
Hearing the words of that Rama, who was unwearied in action, the right minded Vibhishana saluted him by bowing his head and started telling as follows:
राक्षसानाम् वधे साह्यम् लंकायाः च प्रधर्षणे |
करिष्यामि यथा प्राणम् प्रवेक्ष्यामि च वाहिनीम् || ६-१९-२३
23. karishhyaami = I will do; saahyam = help; vadhe = in killing; raakshhasaanaam = the demons; pradharshhane = and in the attack; laNkaayaaH = against Lanka; yathaapraaNam = according to my strength; pravekshhyaami = I will also enter; vaahiniim = the army.
"I will extend my help in killing the demons and in attacking the city of Lanka. According to my strength, I will also penetrate into the army of the adversary to fight."
इति ब्रुवाणम् रामस् तु परिष्वज्य विभीषणम् |
अब्रवील् लक्ष्मणम् प्रीतः समुद्राज् जलम् आनय || ६-१९-२४
24. raamastu = Rama on his part; priitaH = duly delighted; parishhvaNga = embraced; vibhiishhaNam = Vibhishana; bruuvaaNam = speaking; iti = as aforesaid; abraviit = and spoke; lakshmaNam = to Lakshmana (as follows); "aanaya = Bring; jalam = water; samudraat = from the sea"
Rama on his part, duly delighted, embraced Vibhishana who was speaking as aforesaid and spoke to Lakshmana as follows: "Bring some water from the ocean."
तेन च इमम् महाप्राज्ञम् अभिषिन्च विभीषणम् |
राजानम् रक्षसाम् क्षिप्रम् प्रसन्ने मयि मानद || ६-१९-२५
25. maanada = O; Lakshmana; who gives respect to others! Kshhipram = quickly; abhishhiNcha = consecrate; tena = with that water; imam = this; vibhiishhaNam = who is greatly intelligent; raajaanam = as a king; rakshhasaam = of demons; mayi = I am; prasanne = pleased.
"O, Lakshmana who bestows honor on others! Quickly consecrate as a king of demons this greatly intelligent Vibhishana with that water, so that I am pleased."
एवम् उक्तस् तु सौमित्रिर् अभ्यषिन्चद् विभीषणम् |
मध्ये वानर मुख्यानाम् राजानम् राम शासनात् || ६-१९-२६
26. uktvaH = having been spoken; evam = thus ; soumitriH = Lakshmana; abhishhiNchat = as per the royal instructions; madhye = amidst; vaanara mukhyaanaam = the leaders of monkeys.
Hearing Rama's words, Lakshmana consecrated Vibhishana as a king, as per the royal instructions, amidst the leaders of monkeys.
तम् प्रसादम् तु रामस्य दृष्ट्वा सद्यः प्लवम् गमाः |
प्रचुक्रुशुर् महानादान् साधु साध्व् इति च अब्रुवन् || ६-१९-२७
27. dR^ishhTvaa = seeing; tam = that; sadyaH = instant; prasaadam = graciousness; raamasya = of Rama; plavaNgamaaH = the monkeys; prachukrushuH = cried; abruvancha = proclaiming; saadhu saadhu = Excellent; excellent" mahaatmanaam = about the high soled Rama.
Perceiving that instant graciousness in Rama, the monkeys cried, proclaiming "excellent, excellent" about the high soled Rama.
अब्रवीच् च हनूमामः च सुग्रीवः च विभीषणम् |
कथम् सागरम् अक्षोभ्यम् तराम वरुण आलयम् || ६-१९-२८
सैन्यैः परिवृताः सर्वे वानराणाम् महौजसाम् |
28. hanuumaanshcha = Hanuman; sugriivevashcha = and Sugriva; abraviit = spoke; vibhiishhaNam = to Vibhishana; katham = how; tarena = can we cross; saagaram = the ocean; akshhobhyam = which is imperturbable; varuNaalayam = the habitation of Varuna; the god of water; sarve = by all of us; parivR^ite = surrounded; sainyaiH = with the army; vaanaraanam = of monkeys; mahoujasaam = possessing a great splendor?
Hanuman and Sugreeva asked Vibhishana as follows: " How can we cross the imperturbable ocean, the habitation of Varuna, the god of water by all of us along with our army of monkeys possessing a great splendor?"
उपायैर् अभिगच्चामो यथा नद नदी पतिम् || ६-१९-२९
तराम तरसा सर्वे ससैन्या वरुण आलयम् |
29. yathaa = In what manner; tarena = shall we ; tarasaa = swiftly; varuNaalayam = the sea; nadanadiipatim = the lord of streams and rivers; abhigachhaama = we will arrive; upaayaiH = at the strategy.
"In what manner shall we along with the army swiftly cross the sea, the lord of streams and rivers, and arrive at that strategy?"
एवम् उक्तस् तु धर्मज्ञः प्रत्युवाच विभीषणः || ६-१९-३०
समुद्रम् राघवो राजा शरणम् गन्तुम् अर्हति |
30. evam = thus; uktaH = spoken; dharmaatmaa = the rightminded ; vibhiishaNaH = Vibhishana; pratyuvaacha = replied;as follows): raajaa = the prince; raaghavaH = Rama; arhati = is apt; gantum = to obtain; sharaNam = refuge; samudram = from the sea."
Hearing their words, the right minded Vibhishana replied as follows: "It is apt if prince Rama seeks ocean as his refuge"
खानितः सगरेण अयम् अप्रमेयो महाउदधिः || ६-१९-३१
कर्तुम् अर्हति रामस्य ज्ञातेः कार्यम् महाउदधिः |
31. ayam = this; mahodadhiH = great ocean; aprameyaH = the immesurable; khanitaH = was excavated; sagareNa = by Sagara; (hence; mahodabhiH = this great ocean; arhati = will be inclined; kartum = to do; kaaryam = the act; raamasya = for Rama; j^Naate = his kinsman.
"This immeasurable great ocean was excavated by Sagara*. Hence, this great ocean will be inclined to do the act for Rama, his kinsman".
*Sagara was one of Rama's ancestors. His story is told in Balakanda.
एवम् विभीषणेन उक्ते राक्षसेन विपश्चिता || ६-१९-३२
आजगामथ सुग्रीवो यत्र रामः सलक्ष्मणः |
32. atha = then; uktaH = after being spoken; evam = thus; raakshhasena = by the demon; vibhiishhaNena = Vibhishana; vipashchitaa = the learned; sugriivaH = Sugriva; aajagaama = came; yatra = where; raamaH = Rama; salakshhmaNaH = along with Lakshmana.
Hearing the aforesaid words of the learned demon Vibhishana, Sugreeva came to the place where Rama and Lakshmana were there.
ततश्चाख्यातुमारेभे विभीषणवचः शुभम् || ६-१९-३३
सुग्रीवो विपुलग्रीवः सागरस्योपवेशनम् |
33. tataH = thereafter; sugriivaH = Sugriva; vipulagriivaH = the long necked; aarebhe = startred; aakhyaatum = to tell; shubham = the auspicious; vibhiishhaNavachaH = words of Vibhishana; upaveshanam = advising Rama to approach; saagarasya = the ocean (to allow him a passage).
The long necked Sugreeva then started to tell the auspicious words of Vibhishana, advising Rama to approach the ocean (to allow him a passage).
प्रकृत्या धर्म शीलस्य राघवस्य अपि अरोचत || ६-१९-३४
स लक्ष्मणम् महातेजाः सुग्रीवम् च हरि ईश्वरम् |
सत् क्रिया अर्थम् क्रिया दक्षः स्मित पूर्वम् उवाच ह || ६-१९-३५
34;35. asya raamasyaapi = to even this Rama; prakR^ityaa = who by his nature; dharmashiilasya = is of pious attitude; aarochata = that advice was agreeable; mahaatejaaH = the highly splendorous; saH = rama; abhaashheta = spoke; smitapuurvam = smilingly; satkriyaartham = with an intention to honor Vibhishana words; lakshhmaNam = to Lakshmana; sugrivamcha = and to Sugriva; kriyaadakshham = who was skilled in action; hariishvaram = and the ruler of monkeys.
That advice found favor with Rama who by nature is of pious attitude. Then that highly illustrious Rama replied to Sugreeva, the ruler of monkeys who was skillful in action and who was accompanied by Lakshmana. Full of respect for Vibhishana's words, he told him as also his brother Lakshmana smilingly as follows:
विभीषणस्य मन्त्रो अयम् मम लक्ष्मण रोचते |
सुग्रीवः पण्डितो नित्यम् भवान् मन्त्र विचक्षणः || ६-१९-३६
उभाभ्याम् सम्प्रधार्य आर्यम् रोचते यत् तद् उच्यताम् |
36. lakshhmaNa = O; Lakshmana; ayam mantraH = this thought; vibhiishhaNasya = of Vibhishana; rochate = is agreeable; mama = to me; sugrivaH = Sugriva; paNditaH = is a learned person; bhavaam = you; nityam = are ever; mantra vichakshhaNaH = wise in your thoughts; artham = the matter; sampradhaarya = be decided; ubhaabhyaam = by both of you; uchayataam = and tell; tat = that; yat = which; rochate = is agreeable.
"O, Lakshmana! This idea of Vibhishana is agreeable to me. Sugreeva is a learned person. You are ever wise in your thoughts. Both of you decide on the matter and inform whichever is agreeable to you."
एवम् उक्तौ तु तौ वीराव् उभौ सुग्रीव लक्ष्मणौ || ६-१९-३७
समुदाचार सम्युक्तम् इदम् वचनम् ऊचतुः |
37. tataH = then; uktou = having been spoken; evam = thus; ubhou sugriiva lakshhmaNah = both Sugriva and Lakshmana; viirou = the valiant; uuchutuH = spoke; idam = these; vachanam = words; samudaachaarasamyuktam = with proper courtesy.
Hearing Rama's words, Sugreeva and Lakshmana both, valiant as they were, spoke with proper courtesy, the following words: .
किम् अर्थम् नो नर व्याघ्र न रोचिष्यति राघव || ६-१९-३८
विभीषणेन यत् तु उक्तम् अस्मिन् काले सुख आवहम् |
38. raaghava = O; Rama; naravyaaghra = the tiger among men! Na kimartham = why not; vibhiishhaNena = Vibhishana's; uktam = words; sukhaavaham = which are soothing; asmin = at this; kale = time; rochishhyati = be agreeable; nou = to us?
"O, Rama the tiger among men! Why not Vibhishana's words, which are soothing at this time of crisis be agreeable also to us?"
अबद्ध्वा सागरे सेतुम् घोरे अस्मिन् वरुण आलये || ६-१९-३९
लंका न आसादितुम् शक्या स इन्द्रैर् अपि सुर असुरैः |
39. abaddhvaa = without constructing; setum = a bridge; asmin = saagare ghore = across the fiery ocean; varuNaalaye = which is an abode of Lord Varuna; suraasurairapi = even the celestials and demons; na shakyaa = can not; aasaaditum = reach; laNkaa = the city of Lanka.
"Without constructing a bridge across this fiery ocean, which is an abode of Lord Varuna, even the celestials and demons along with Indra cannot reach the city of Lanka."
विभीषणस्य शूरस्य यथा अर्थम् क्रियताम् वचः || ६-१९-४०
अलम् काल अत्ययम् कृत्वा समुद्रो अयम् नियुज्यताम् |
यथा कालात्ययम् कृत्वा सागराय नियुज्यताम् || ६-१९-४१
40;41. shuurasya = the valiant; vbhiishhaNaasya = Vibhishana's; vachaH = advice; kriyataam = be followed; yathaartham = suitably; alam = It is enough; kR^itvaa = of having done; kaalaatyayam = a waste of time; niyujyataaya saagaraaya = Let the ocean be commanded; yathaa = how; gachchhaama = to go; sainyena = with the army; puriim = to the city; raavaNapaalitaam = being ruled by Ravana.
"Let the valiant Vibhishana's words be followed suitably. It is enough that we have already wasted our time. Let the ocean be commanded to yield a passage for the army to reach the city being ruled by Ravana."
एवम् उक्तः कुश आस्तीर्णे तीरे नद नदी पतेः |
सम्विवेश तदा रामो वेद्याम् इव हुत अशनः || ६-१९-४२
42. evam = thus; uktaH = having been spoken; raamaH = Rama; tadaa = then; samvivesha = sat; tire = on the shore; nadanadiipate = of the ocean; kushaastiirNe = covered with blades of kusha grass; vedyaamiva = as ascending an altar; hutaashanaH = by the god fire.
Having been thus exhorted, Rama then sat on the shore of the ocean covered with blades of Kusha grass, as the God of Fire ascends the altar.
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाम्डे एकोनविंशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© December 2003, K. M. K. Murthy
Read more about:
rama and verse
Fastest SFTP (SSH) on the planet FREE Go FTP