Ravana refuses to hear the words of Vibhishana and rebukes him with harsh words. Vibhishana gets angry and sets off, to leave Ravana.
suniviShTam hitam vaakyam uktavantam vibhiiShaNam |
abraviit paruSham vaakyam raavaNaH kaala coditaH || 6-16-1
1. vibhishhaNam = to Vibhishana; sunuvishhTam = who was very stable; uktavantam = and who spoke; hitam = wholesome; vaakyam = words; raavanNaH = Ravana; kaalachoditaH = goaded by death; abraviit = spoke; parushham = harsh; vaakyam = words; (as follows):
Ravana, goaded by death, spoke the following harsh words to Vibhishana, who was very stable and who had spoken wholesome words:
vaset saha sapatnena kruddhena aashii viSheNa ca |
na tu mitra pravaadena samvascchatruNaa saha || 6-16-2
2. vaset = one can stay; sapatnena saha = with an enemy; ashiivishheNa = or with a snake; kruddhena = which is enraged; tu = but; na samvaset = one cannot stay; shatruNaasaha = with an enemy; mitrapravaadena = talking as a friend."
"One can stay together with an enemy or even with a furious snake, but one cannot stay together with an adversary yet avowing himself as a friend"
jaanaami shiilam GYaatiinaam sarva lokeShu raakShasa |
hR^iShyanti vyasaneShvete GYaatiinaam GYaatayaH sadaa || 6-16-3
3. O; demon! GYaami = I know shiilam = the conduct; gyaatiinaam = of kinsmen; sadaa = always; hR^ishhyanti = are rejoiced; vyasaneshhu = at the calamities; g^yaatiinaam = of their kinsmen."
"O, demon! I know the conduct of kinsmen in all the worlds. These kinsmen always are rejoiced at the calamities of their kinsmen"
pradhaanam saadhakam vaidyam dharma shiilam ca raakShasa |
GYaatayo hyanamanyante shuuram paribhavanti ca || 6-16-4
4. raakshhasa = O;demon; n^yaatayaH = kinsmen; avamanyante hi = indeed insult; paribhavanticha = and even humiliate; saadhakam = an effective; pradhaanam = leader; vaidyam = an educated person; dharmashiilaamcha = a person of right conduct; shuuram = and a valiant man."
"O, demon! The kinsmen indeed insult and even humiliate their kinsman, who is an effective leader, a person of education and right conduct and a valiant man."
nityam anyonya samhR^iShTaa vyasaneShvaatataayinaH |
pracchanna hR^idayaa ghoraa GYaatayas tu bhaya aavahaaH || 6-16-5
5. ghoraaH = the horrible; G^yaataH = kinsmen; prachchhanna hR^idayaaH = with their concealed thoughts; aatataayinaH = and treacherous minds; bhayaavahaaH = terrific ones as they are; nityam = always; anyonyasamhR^ishhTaaH = rejoice each other; vyasaneshhu = in adversities."
"The horrible kinsmen with their concealed thoughts and treacherous minds, terrific ones as they are, always rejoice each other in adversities."
shruuyante hastibhir giitaaH shlokaaH padma vane puraa |
paasha hastaan naraan dR^iShTvaa shR^iNu taan gadato mama || 6-16-6
6. padmavane = In a forest called Padmavana; puraaH = previously; shlokaH = maxims; giitaH = were spoken; hastibhiH = by elephants; dR^ishhTvaa = after seeing; naraan = men; paasha hastaan = with nooses in hand; shR^iNushhva = Hear; gadataH = as told; mama = to me."
"Previously in a forest called Padmavana, some maxims were spoken by elephants, which saw men with nooses in hand. Hear and I shall tell them."
naagnirnaanyaani shastraaNi na naH paashaa bhayaavahaaH |
ghoraaH svaarthaprayuktaastu GYaatayo no bhayaavahaaH || 6-16-7
7. naH = for us; na = no; agniH = fire; na = no; anyaani = after; shastraaNi = weapons; na = no; paashaaH = nooses; na = they are not; bhayaavahaaH = begetting fear; ghoraH = the terrific; jJNaatayaH = kinsmen; svaarthaprayuktaaH = incited by selfishness; bhayaavahaaH = are begetting fear; naH = to us."
"For us, fire or weapons or nooses are not begetting fear. The terrific kinsmen, incited by selfishness are begetting fear to us."
upaayamete vakShyanti grahaNe naatrasa.nshayaH |
kR^itsnaad bhayaajGYaatibhayam sukaShTam viditam ca naH || 6-16-8
8. ete = these kinsmen; vakshhyanti = will inform; upaayam = the strategy; grahaNe = to seize us; na = there is no; samshayaH = doubt; atra = in this; kR^itsnaat; out of all; bhayaat = fears; G^yaatibhayam = the fear of kinsmen; sukashhTam = is very troublesome; naH = for us; viditam = It is known thing."
"These kinsmen will inform the strategy to our enemies to seize us. There is no doubt about this. Out of all fears, the fear of kinsmen is very much troublesome for us. It is a well known thing."
vidyate goShu sampannam vidyate jJNaatito bhayam |
vidyate striiShu caapalyam vidyate GYaatito bhayam || 6-16-9
9. vidyate = There is; sampannam = wealth; goshhu = in cows; vidyate = there is; bhayam = fear; G^yaatitaH = for kinsmen; vidyate = there is; chaapalyam = fickleness; striishhu = in women; vidyate = there is; tapaH = austerity; braahmaNe = in brahmins."
"There is wealth in cows. There is fear for kinsmen. There is fickleness in women. There is austerity in Brahmins."
tato neShTam idam saumya yadaham loka satkR^itaH |
aishvaryam abhijaataH ca ripuuNaam muurdhni ca sthitaH || 6-16-10
10. saumya = O;gentleman! TataH = hence; idam = this; na ishhTam = is not of liking to you; iti yat = that; aham = I; loka satkR^itaH = am venerated by the people; abhijaataHcha = that I obtained; aishvaryam = riches; sthitaHcha = and that I am sitting tight; muurdhni = in the head; ripuNaam = of enemies."
"O, gentleman! Hence, it is not of liking to you that the people are venerating me, that I obtained riches and that I am sitting tight in the heads of enemies".
yathaa puShkarapatreShu patitaastoyabindavaH |
na shleShamabhigacchanti tathaanaaryeShu sauhR^idam || 6-16-11
11. yathaa = how; toyabindavaH = drops of water; palitaaH = fallen; pushhkarapatreshhu = on lotus leaves; na abhigachchhanti = do not get; shleshham = clinging; tathaa = in the same manner. SouhR^idam = friendship; anaaryeshhu = in vulgar ones."
"As drops of water fallen on lotus leaves do not get clung to those leaves, so also a friendship does not cling to vulgar ones."
yathaa sharadi meghaanaam siJNcaataamapi garjataam |
na bhavatyamubasamkledastathaanaaryeShu sauhR^idam || 6-16-12
12. yathaa = how; piNchataam = raining; meghaanaam = clouds ; garjataamapi = even if thundering; na bhaveti = cannot; ambusamsamkledaH = give excessive wetness with water; tathaa = in the same manner; souhR^idam = friendship; anaaryeshhu = in vulgar people."
"As rainy clouds in autumn, even though thundering, cannot get the earth saturated with water, so also friendship does not have tenderness of heart in vulgar people."
yathaa madhukarastarShaadraasam vindanna tiShThati |
tathaa tvamapi tatraiva tathaanaaryeShu sauhR^idam || 6-16-13
13. yathaa = how; madhukaraH = a honey bee; vindan = getting; rasam = nectar (from a flower); na tishhThati = does not stick on (that flower);tarshhaat = due to eager desire (for more); tathaa = in the same manner; tvamapi = you also; tatraiva = in that(category) only; tathaa = in the same manner; souhR^idam = friendship; anaaryeshhu = in vulgar people."
"As a honey bee, even though getting nectar from a flower, does not stick on to that flower due to its eager desire for more, you also belong to that category as friendship does not stick on to vulgar people."
yathaa madhukarstaraaShaatkaashapuShpam pibannapi |
rasamatra na vindeta tathaanaaryeShu sauhR^idam || 6-16-14
14. yathaa = how; madhukaraH = a honey bee; na vindeta = cannot get; rasam = nectar; atra = in it; pibannapi = even though trying to drink;kaashapushhpam = on a flower of grass; tathaa = in the same manner ; sauhR^idam = friendship; anaaryeshhu = from vulgar persons."
"As even though trying to drink nectar from a flower of grass, a honey bee cannot get it, so also friendship cannot be extracted from vulgar persons."
yathaa puurvam gajaH snaatvaa gR^ihya hastena vai rajaH |
duuShayatyaatmano deham tathaanaaryeShu sauhR^idam || 6-16-15
15. yathaa = how; gajaH = an elephants; duushhayati = abuses; aatmanaH = its; deham = body; gR^ihya = by helping itself; rajah = with dust; snaatvaa = after taking bath; puurvaa = earlier; hastena = with its trunk; tathaa = in the same manner; souhR^idam = friendship; anaryeshhu = in vulgar persons"
"How an elephant abuses its body by helping itself with dust after taking bath earlier with its trunk, friendship gets an abuse in vulgar persons in the same manner."
yo.anyastvevamvidham bruuyaad vaakyametannishaacara |
asmin muhuurte na bhavet tvaam tu dhik kulapaa.nsanam || 6-16-16
16. nishaachara = O; demon; walking about by night! yaH = Whoever; anyaH = other one; evamvidham = in this manner; bruuyaat = utters; etat = these; vaakyam = words; na bhavet = he will not be present; asmin = at this; muhuurte = moment; kula paamsana = O; destroyer of race! dhik = A curse; tvaam tu = upon you."
"O, demon, walking about by night! If any other person utters these words in this manner, he will be ceasing to exit at this moment. O, destroyer of race! A curse upon you!"
itiuktaH paruSham vaakyam nyaayavaadii vibhiiShaNaH |
utpapaata gadaapaaNiHcaturbhiH saha raakShasaiH || 6-16-17
17. parushham = harsh; vaakyam = words; iti = thus; uktaH = spoken; vibhiishhaNaH = Vibhishana; nyaayavaadii = who advocates justice; gadaapaaNiH = having a mace in his hand; utpapaata = soared into the sky; chaturbhiH raakshhasaiH saha = along with four demons.
Hearing those harsh words from Ravana, Vibhishana who advocates justice, wielding a mace in his hand, soared high into the sky, along with four other demons.
abraviicca tadaa vaakyam jaatakrodho vibhiiShaNaH |
antarikShagataH shriimaan bhraataram raakShasa adhipam || 6-16-18
18. tadaa = then; shriimaan = the illustrious; vibhiishhaNaH = Vibhishana; jaatakrodhaH = for whom angry was arisen; antarikshhagataH = after moving into the sky; abraviichcha = spoke also; raakshhasaadhipam = to the king of demons; bhraataram = his brother.
Then, the illustrious Vibhishana who became angry also spoke these words to king Ravana, his brother after moving into the sky.
sa tvam bhraataa asi me raajan bruuhi maam yad yad icchasi |
jyeShTho maanyaH pitR^isamo na ca dharmapathe sthitaH || 6-16-19
idam tu paruSham vaakyam na kShamaami anR^itam tava |
19. raajan = O;king! SaH tvam = you as such; asi = are; bhraataa = brother; me = to me; bruuhi = speak; maam = to me; yadyat = whatever; ichchhasi = you like; jyeshhThaH = elder brother; pitR^isamaH = is equal to father; maanyaH = he is to be respected; nachasthitaH = even though not staying; dharmapathe = in right path; ; na kshhamaapi = I cannot forbear; ;idam = these; te = your; parushham = harsh; vaakyamtu = words."
"O, king! You are a brother to me. You utter whatever you like. Elder brother is like a father. Even if he is not staying in a right path, he is to be respected. But I cannot forbear these harsh words from you."
suniitam hita kaamena vaakyam uktam dasha aanana || 6-16-20
na gR^ihNanti akR^ita aatmaanaH kaalasya vashamaagataaH |
20. akR^itaatmenaH = those who have an ill composed mind; aagataah = and get; vasham = conceded; kaalasya = to the occasion; na gR^ihNanti = do not assimilate; suniitam vaakyam = the words of prudence; uktam = spoken; hitakaamena = by a well wisher."
"Those who have an ill composed mind and who get conceded to the occasion do not assimilate the words of prudence, spoken by a well wisher."
sulabhaaH puruShaa raajan satatam priya vaadinaH || 6-16-21
apriyasya tu pathyasya vaktaa shrotaa ca durlabhaH |
21. raajan = O;king! purushaaH = men; priyavaadinaH = who speak pleasing words; satatam = forever; sulabhaaH = are easy to be obtained; vaktaa = (But) one who speaks; pathyasya = of useful; apriyasya = but unpleasing words; shrotaacha = and also one listens to them; durlabhaaH = are rare to be obtained."
"O, king! Men who forever speak pleasing words are easy to be obtained. But one who speaks of useful but unpleasing words as also the one who listens to them, are rare to be obtained"
baddham kaalasya paashena sarva bhuuta apahaariNaa || 6-16-22
na nashyantam upekSheyam pradiiptam sharaNam yathaa |
22. naupekshhe = I could not ignore; tvaam = you;nashyantam = being destroyed; paashena = by the noose; kaalasya = of Yama; (god of death); baddham = being tied; (around you); sarva bhuutaapahaariNaH = which takes away all beings; sharaNamyathaa = as a house; pradiiptam = which is burning."
"I could not ignore you, being destroyed by the noose of Yama (god of death); tied around you and which snatches away all beings, as none can ignore a burning house."
diipta paavaka samkaashaiH shitaiH kaancana bhuuShaNaiH || 6-16-23
na tvaam icchaami aham draShTum raameNa nihatam sharaiH |
23. aham = I; naichchhaami = do not wish; drashhTum = to see; tvaam = you; nihatam = killed; raameNa = by Rama; sharaiH = by his arrows; shitaaH = sharp as they are ; kaaNchana bhuushhaNaiH = = adorned with gold; diiptapaavaka samkaashaiH = and resembling like blazing fire."
"I do not wish to see you, being killed by Rama with his sharp arrows, adorned with gold and each resembling like a blazing fire."
shuuraaH ca balavantaH ca kR^ita astraaH ca nara aajire || 6-16-24
kaala abhipannaa siidanti yathaa vaaluka setavaH |
24. naraaH = persons; shuuraaH = who are valiant; balavantashcha = who are strong; kR^itaashcha = and who are skilled in weaponry; kaalaabhipannaaH = overpowered by Time; siidanti = sink down = (ruin) vaaluka setuvaH yathaa = like a dam constructed with sand."
"Persons who are valiant, strong and skilled in weaponry, when time comes, sink down (ruin) as a dam constructed with sand sinks down."
tanarShayatu yaccoktam gurutvaaddhitamicchataa || 6-16-25
aatmaanam sarvathaa rakSha puriim ca imaam saraakShasaam |
svasti te astu gamiShyaami sukhii bhava mayaa vinaa || 6-16-26
25; 26. gurutraat = as an elder brother; marshhayatu = be patient; tat = with that; uktam = spoken; yat = by which; hitam = welfare; ichchhataa = was desired by me; rakshha = guard; aatmaanam = yourself; saraaksshhasaam = along with demons; imaam = and this ; puriimcha = city ; sarvathaa = by all means; asti = Let (all) be; savasti = well; te = to you; gamishhyaami = I am departing; bhava = Be; sukhii = happy person; mayaa vinaa = without me."
"As an elder brother, bear the words spoken by me, who desire your welfare. Guard this city and yourself along with demons, by all means. Let all be well with you. I am departing. Be a happy person without me."
nivaaryamaaNasya mayaa hita eShiNaa |
na rocate te vacanam nishaa cara |
pariita kaalaa hi gata aayuSho naraa |
hitam na gR^ihNanti suhR^idbhir iiritam || 6-16-27
27. nishaachara = O; Ravana; the ranger of the night! vachanam = my words; narochate = are not relishing; te = to you; nivaaryanaaNasya = who are being restrained; mayaa = by me; hitaaishhiNaa = desiring welfare; naraaH = persons; gataayushhaH = whose duration of life is ended; na gR^ihNanti = do not accept ;hitam = the beneficial words; iiritam = spoken; suhR^idbhiH = by well wishers."
"O, Ravana the ranger of the night! My words are not relishing to you, who are being restrained by me duly desiring your welfare. Persons whose duration of life is to end, do not accept the salutary words spoken by their well wishers"
- - - -
ityaarShe shriimadraamaayaNe aadikaavye yuddhakaaNDe ShoDashaH sargaH
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© October 2003, K. M. K. Murthy
What the world says about
File transported by FREE Go FTP