Indrajit criticizes Vibhishana for underestimating the former`s strength. Vibhishana abuses Indrajit for his immaturity of mind and for his rash nature in underscoring the power of Rama`s arrows. Vibhishana further advises Ravana to give back Sita along with valuable presents to Rama and to live happily ever after in Lanka.
nnishamya yatnena vibhiiShaNasya |
tato mahaatmaa vacanam babhaaShe |
tatrendrajinnairR^itayuuthamukhyaH || 6-15-1
1. nishamya = hearing; yatnena = carefully; tat = those; vachaH = words; vibhiishhaNasya = of Vibhishana; tulyamateH = whose intellect was equal; bR^ihaspataH = to that of Brihaspati( god of wisdom and eloquence); mahaatmaa = the high spirited; Indrajit = Indrajit; nairR^itayuutha mukhyaH = the chief of army of demons; babhaashha = spoke; vachanam = (these) words; tatra = there.
Carefully hearing the words of Vibhishana, whose intellect was equal to that of Brihaspati (god Of wisdom and eloquence) the high spirited Indrajit, the chief of army of demons spoke as follows:
kim naama te taata kaniShTha vaakya |
manrthakam vai bahubhiitavacca |
asmin kule yo.api bhavenna jaataH |
so.apiidR^isham naiva vadenna kuryaat || 6-15-2
2. kanishhTha taata = O; youngest uncle! Kim naama = pray; what? Te = your; vaakyam = words; anarthakam = are meaning less; bahubhiitavachcha = and very much frightening; saHapi = Even he; yaH = who; na bhavet = is not born; asmin = in this; kule = race; naiva vadet = would not speak; iidR^sham = such words; na kuryaat = nor do such a thing (as you suggest)".
"O, youngest uncle! Pray, what? Your words are meaningless and very much frightening. Even he who is not born in this race would neither speak such words nor do such a thing (as you suggest)."
sattvena viiryeNa paraakrameNa
dhairyeNa shauryeNa ca tejasaa ca |
ekaH kule.asmin puruSho vimukto |
vibhiiShaNastaatakaniShTha eShaH || 6-15-3
3. asmin = in this; kule = race; eshhaH = this; vibhiishhaNaH = Vibhishana; taatakanishhThaH = the youngest uncle; ekaH = is the only; purushhaH = individual; vimuktaH = lacking; sattvena = in strength; viiryeNa = heroism; paraakrameNa = prowess; dhairyeNa = courage; shauryana = valour; tejasaacha = and vital power."
"In our race, this Vibhishana the youngest uncle is the only individual lacking in strength, heroism, prowess, courage, valor and vital powers" W.w m.
kim naama tau maanuSharaajaputraa |
vasmaakamekena hi raakshasena |
supraakR^itenaapi nihantumetau |
shakyau kuto bhiiShayase sma bhiiro || 6-15-4
4. kim naama = what then are; tau = those; manushha raajaputrou = princes who are human beings? Etou = these; shakyau = can be; nihantum = killed; ekena raakshhasena = by one demon; supraakR^itenaapi = even very ordinary; asmaakam = among us; kutaH = why; bhiishhayase = are you frightening (us); bhiiro = O; coward!"
"What after all are those princes who are mere human beings? They can be killed even by one very ordinary demon among us. O, coward! Why are you frightening us? "
trilokanaatho nama devaraajaH |
shakto mayaa bhuumitale viviShTaH |
bhayaarmitaashcaapi dishaH prapannaaH |
sarve tadaa devagaNaaH samagraaH || 6-15-5
5. tadaa = at that time; shaktaH = the competent; devaraajaH = the lord of three worlds; nanu = indeed; nivishhTah = was tossed down; bhuumi tale = on the floor; mayaa = by me; sarve = all; devaganaaH = the flock of celestials; bhayaarpitaashchaapi = were cast into fear; samgraaH = and all; prasannaaH = cleared; dishaH = (to different) quarters."
"At one time, the competent Devendra, the lord of three worlds, was indeed tossed down on the floor by me. All the flocks of celestials were cast into fear and all of them fled to different quarters."
airaavato visvaramunnadan sa |
nipaatito bhuumitale mayaa tu |
vikR^iShya dantau tu mayaa prapahya |
vitraasitaa devagaNaaH samagraaH || 6-15-6
6. saH = that; airaavatah = Airavata; Indra`s elephant; unnadan = which was making noise; visvaram = discordantly; nipaatitaH = was hurled down; bhuumitale = on the floor; mayaa = by me; prasahya = forcibly; vikR^ishhya = extracted; dantou = its teeth; mayaa = by me; samagraaH = the entire; devagaNaaH = flocks of celestials; vitraasitaa = were frightened."
"Airavata (Indra`s elephant), which was making noise discordantly, was hurled down by me on the floor. I forcibly extracted its teeth and frightened the entire flock of celestials."
so.aham suraaNaamapi darpahantaa |
daityottamaanaamapi shokakartaa |
katham narendratmajayorna shakto |
mamaShyayoH praakR^itayoH suviiryaH || 6-15-7
7. katham = how; saH aham = am I; darpahantaa = who suppressed the arrogance; suraaNaamapi = of even the celestials; shoka kartaa = who made miserable; daityottomaanaamapi = the life of even excellent of the demons; suviiryaH = and having great valor; nashaktaH = not capable; narendraatmajayoH = the princes; praakR^itayoH = who are ordinary; manushhyayoH = human beings?"
"How can I, with great valor, who suppressed the arrogance of even the celestials and who made the lives of even excellent of the demons miserable, not capable of conquering the two princes who are ordinary human beings?"
athendrakalpasya duraasadasya |
mahaajasastadvacanam nishamya |
tato mahaartham vacanam babhaaShe |
vibhiiShaNaH shastrabhR^itaam variShThaH || 6-15-8
8. nishamya = hearing; tatvachanam = those words;( of Indrajit); indrakalpasya = who was equal to Indra; duraasadasya = dangerous to be approached; mahaujasaH = and possessing great vital power; vibhiishhaNaH = Vibhishana; varishhThaH = excellent; shastrabhR^Itaam = among bearers of weapons; tataH = then; babhaashha = spoke; mahaartham = highly meaningful; vachanam = words:-
Hearing those words of Indrajit, who was equal to Indra (god of celestials), dangerous to be approached, and possessing great vital power, Vibhishana the excellent one among bearers of weapons spoke then the following highly meaningful words:
na taata mantre tava nishcayo.asti |
vacho.arthhiinam bahu vipralaptam || 6-15-9
9. taata = O; child! Naasti = There is no; nishchayaH = settlement; mantre = of thought; tava = in you; tvam = you; baalaH = being a boy; avipakvabuddhiH = are immature in mind; adyaapi = even now. Tasmaat = that is why; arthahiinam = meaningless; bahuvachaH = many words; vipralaptam = was prattled; tvayaapi = by you too; aatmavinaashanaaya = for only your self destruction."
"O, child! There is no stability of thought in you. Being a boy, you are still immature in mind. That is why, many a meaningless word was prattled by you too, for only your self-destruction."
putrapravaadena tu raavaNasya |
tvamindrajinmitramukho.asi shatruH |
yasyedR^isham raaghavato vinaasham |
vishamya mohaadanuvanyase tvam || 6-15-10
10. indrajit = " O; Indrajit! Nishamya = hearing; iidR^isham = such; vinaashanam = destruction; yasya = of which Ravana; raaghavataH = from Rama; tvam = you; anunanyase = are accepting; mohaat = by ignorance; putraa pravaadena = in the guise of a son; raavaNasya = of such Ravana; asi = you are; shatruH = his enemy; mitramukhaaH = in the mask of as a well wisher."
"In the guise of a son, O, Indrajit, you are an enemy of Ravana putting on the mask of a well wisher in that even hearing (from me) of his destruction at the hands of Rama, you are blindly agreeing with him."
tvameva vadhyashca sudurmatishca |
sa caapi vadhyo ya aihaanayattvaam |
baalam dR^iDham saahaasikam ca yo.adya |
praaveshayanmantrakR^taam samiipam || 6-15-11
11. tvameva = you surely; vadhyashcha = are fit to be killed; yaH = he who; aanayat = brought; tvaam = you; baalam = a boy; dR^Idham = who are thorougly; susaahasikam = reckless; praaveshayat = and ushered you ; iha = here; adya = today; samiipam = in proximity; mantrakR^itaam = of the counselors; saHcha = also he; sudurmatiH = who is very much a fool; vadhyah = is to be killed."
"You surely are fit to be killed. Nay, he too is fit to be killed, who brought you, a reckless boy here today and ushered you foolishly in the proximity of counselors".
tvamindrajidbaalatayaa braviiShi || 6-15-12
indrajit = O; Indrajit! tvam = you; muuDhaH = irresolute; avinayopapannaH = without humility; tiikshhNa svabhaahaH = rude natured; alpamatiH = unwise; duraatmaa = evil natured; muurkhaH = inexperienced; atyanta sudurmatishcha = highly evil minded; tvam = you; bra viishhi = are thus speaking; baalatayaa = because you are a boy."
"O, Indrajit! You are a stupid, irresolute, without humility, rude natured; unwise; evil person, inexperienced and highly evil minded. You are speaking in this manner because you are an immature boy".
ko brahmadaNDapratimaprakaashaa |
narciShmataH kaalanikaasharuupaan |
saheta baaNaanyamadaNDakalpaa |
nsamakshamuktaanyudhi raaghaveNa || 6-15-13
13. kaH = who; saheta = can endure; baaNaam = the arrows; samakshhamuktaan = discharged in front; raghaveNa = by Rama; yudhi = in battle; brahmadaNDa pratimaprakaashaan = with a splendor resembling Brahma's (creator's) staff; archishhmataH = with rays of light; kaalanikaasha ruupaan = taking the form of Yama (God of Death); yamadaNDa kalpaan = resembling Yama's staff.
"Who can endure the arrows, discharged by Rama in battle right in front of the enemy, which resemble Brahma's (creator's) staff in glory, which present a form similar to that of God of Death and are equal to the Yama's staff?"
dhanaani ratnaani subhuuShaNaani |
vaapaampi divyaani maNii.nshca citraan |
siitaam ca raamaaya nivedya deviim |
vasema raajanniha viitashokaaH || 6-15-14
14. raajan = O; king; nivedya = offering; dhanaani = riches; ratnaani = precious stones; subhuushhaNaani = good jewels; divyaani = excellent; vasaamsi = clothes; chitraan = bright colored; maNiimshcha = gems; siitaamdeviimcha = and the god-like Sita; raamaaya = to Rama; vasesu = let us live; iha = here; vita shokaH = free from anguish.
" O, king! Offering riches, precious stones, good jewellery, excellent clothes, bright colored gems and the god-like Sita to Rama, let us live here, free from anguish."
- - - -
ityaarShe shriimadraamaayaNe aadikaavye yuddhakaaNDe paJNcadashaH sargaH
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© Sept 2003, K. M. K. Murthy