Vibhishana informs the assembly about the strength of the monkeys, and about the power of Rama`s arrow. He also informs that none on the demon's side can withstand Rama, in battle. Prahasta replies that they have no fear at any time to face Rama in battle. Then, Vibhishana reiterates the enormous strength of the fatal arrows discharged by Rama and requests the assembly to save Ravana by giving back Sita to Rama.
निशाचरेन्द्रस्य निशम्य वाक्यम् |
स कुम्भकर्णस्य च गर्जितानि |
विभीषणो राक्षसराजमुख्य |
मुवाच वाक्यम् हितम्र्थयुक्तम् || ६-१४-१
1. nishamya = hearing; vaakyam = the words; nishaacharendrasya = of the king of demons; garijitaani = and the growls; kumbhakarNasya = of Kumbhakarna; saH vibhiishhaNaH = that Vibhishana; uvaacha = spoke; hitam = friendly; arthayuktam = and meaningful; vaakyam = words; raakshhasaraajamukhyam = to that Ravana; the foremost king of demons.
Hearing the words of Ravana the king of demons and the growls of Kumbhakarna, Vibhishana spoke the following friendly and meaningful words to Ravana the foremost king of ogres:
वृतो हि बाह्वन्तरभोगराशि |
श्चिन्ताविषः सुस्मिततीक्षणदम्ष्ट्रः |
सीतामहाहिस्तव केन राजन् || ६-१४-२
2. raajaa = "O;king! Kena = by whom; vR^taH = has been wrapped; tava = to you; siita mahaa hiH atikaayaH = this great serpent of gigantic body called Sita; baahvantarabhogaraashiH = with heap of expanded hoods as her bosom; chintaavishhaH = having the poison called anxiety; susmita tiikshhNadamshhtraH = with sharp fangs as her sweet smile; paNchaaNgulii paNcha shiro atikaayaH = with five hoods as her five fingers."
"By whom, O, king, has been wrapped around your neck, this great serpent of gigantic body called Sita, with heap of expended hoods as her bosom, having poison as her anxiety and with sharp fangs as her sweet smile and with five hoods as her five fingers."
यावन्न लङ्का समभिद्रवन्ति |
वलीमुखाः पर्वतकूटमात्राः |
दम्ष्ट्रयुधाश्चैव नखायुधाश्च |
प्रदीयताम् दाशरथाय मैथिली || ६-१४-३
3. na yaavat = before; valumukhaaH = the monkeys; parvata kuuTa maatraaH = with the size of mountain peaks; damshhTraayudhaaH = with their teeth as weapons; nakhaayudhaashcha = and their nails too as weapons; samaadhidravanti = rush full upon; laNkaam = the city of Lanka; maithilii = let Sita; pradiiyataam = be given back; dasharathaaya = to Rama."
"Even before the monkeys with their body size as mountain peaks, having their teeth and nails as weapons, rush full upon the city of Lanka, give back Sita to Rama."
यावन्न गृह्णन्ति शिरांसि बाणा |
रामेरिता राक्षसपुङ्गवानाम् |
वज्रोपमा वायुसमानवेगाः |
प्रदीयताम् दाशरथाय मैथिली || ६-१४-४
4. na yaavat = before; baaNaaH = the arrows; raameritaa = dispatched by Rama; vajropamaa = resembling thunderbolts; vaayu samaana vegaaH = with a speed equal to wind; gR^ihNanti = take away; shiraamsi = the heads; raakshhasapuNgavaan = of the chiefs of demons; maithilii = let Sita; pradiiyataam = be given back; daasharathaaya = to Rama."
"Even before arrows resembling thunder bolts and with a speed equal to wind, dispatched by Rama, take away the heads of chiefs of demons, give back Sita to Rama."
न कुम्भकर्णेन्द्रजितौ च राजम् |
स्तथा महापार्श्वमहोदरौ वा |
निकुम्भकुम्भौ च तथातिकायः |
स्थातुम् समर्था युधि राघवस्य || ६-१४-५
5. raajan = O; king!; kumbhakarNendrajitou = Either Kumbhakarna or Indrajit; tathaa = and; mahaparshva mahodarou vaa = either Mahaparshvaa or Mahodara; nikumbhakumbhaou = or Nikumbha or Kumbha; tathaa = and; atikaayaH = Atikaya; na samarthaaH = cannot; sthaatum = withstand; raaghavasya = against Rama; yudhi = in battle."
"O, king! Either Kumbhakarna or Indrajit and either Mahaparsva or Mahodara and either Nikumbha or Kumbha or even Atikaya cannot withstand Rama in battle."
जीवंस्तु रामस्य न मोक्स्यसे त्वम् |
गुप्तः सवित्राप्यथवा मरुद्भिः |
न वासवस्याङ्कगतो न मृत्यो |
र्नभो न पातालमनुप्रविष्टः || ६-१४-६
6. tvam = (Even if) you; guptaH = are guarded; savitraa = by the sun god; athavaa = or marudbhiH = by Maruts; jiivan = alive; raamasya = by Rama; na = nor; aNgagataH = when gone in proximity; vaasavasya = of Indra; na = nor; mR^ityoH = when gone nearer to the god of death; na = nor; anupravishhTaH = when penetrated; nabhaH = the heaven; paataalam = or under the earth."
"Even if you are protected by the sun god, or by Maruts (storm gods) nor even seated in the lap of Indra or god of Death nor if you have penetrated into the regions of heaven or under the earth you will not be spared by the arrows of Rama."
निशम्य वाक्यम् तु विभीषणस्य |
ततः प्रहस्तो वचनम् बभाषे |
न नो भयम् विद्म न दैवतेभ्यो |
न दानवेभ्योऽप्यथवा कदाचित् || ६-१४-७
7. nishamya = hearing; vaakyam = the words; vibhiishaNasya = of Vibhishana;prahastaH = Prahasta; tataH = then; babhaashhe = spoke;vachanam = these words; naH = "To us; na vidma = is not known; bhayam = fear; na = neither; daivatebhyaH = for celestials; na athavaa = nor; daanavebhyaH = for demons; kadaachit = at any time."
Hearing the words of Vibhishana, Prahasta spoke as follows: "We are not knowing of fear at all. We do not have fear of either celestials or demons at any time."
न यक्षगन्धर्वमहोरगेभ्यो |
भयम् न सम्ख्ये पतगोरगेभ्यः |
कथम् नु रामाद्भविता भयम् नो |
नरेन्द्रपुत्रात्समरे कदाचित् || ६-१४-८
8. na bhayam = there is no fear; (for us); yakshagandharva mahoragebhyaH = from Yakshas or Gandharvas or eminent Nagas; na = nor from; patagoragebhyaH = birds and reptiles; samkhye = in battle; katham = how; bhavitaa = can; kadaachit = at any time; bhayam = fear; naH = to us; samare = in battle; raamaat = from Rama; narendraputraat = the son of a human king?"
"We do not have fear from Yakshas (demi- gods) or Gandharvas (celestial musicians) or eminent Nagas (serpent demons) or from birds and reptiles on the field of battle. When such is the case, how can we have fear from Rama, the son of a human king at any time in battle?"
प्रहस्तवाक्यम् त्वहितम् निशम्य |
विभीषणो राजहितानुकाङिक्षी |
ततो महार्थम् वचनम् बभाषे |
धर्मार्थकामेषु निविष्टबुद्धिः || ६-१४-९
9. tatah = then; vibhiishaNaH = Vibhishana; raaja hitaanukaaNkshhiii = who desired the welfare of the king; nivishhTa buddhiH = who possessed a stable mind; dharmaarthakaamashhu = in virtue wealth and pleasure; nishamya = having heard; Prahasta vaakyam = the words of Prahasta; ahitam = which were inimical; babhaashhe = spoke; mahaartham = greatly meaningful; vachanam = words(as follows):
Vibhishana who desired the welfare of the king and who possessed a stable mind in virtue wealth and pleasure, after hearing the inimical words of Prahasta, spoke highly meaningful words as follows:
प्रहस्त राजा च महोदरश्च |
त्वम् कुम्भकर्णश्च यथार्थजातम् |
ब्रवीत रामम् प्रति तन्न शक्यम् |
यथा गतिः स्वर्गमधर्मबुद्धेः || ६-१४-१०
10. prahasta = "O; Prahasta! Yathaa = How; raajaacha = the king; mahodarashcha = and Mahodara; tvam = you; kumbhakarNashcha = and Kumbhakarna; braviita = are telling; arthajaatam = the collection of things; raamamprati = about Rama; tat = that; nashakyam = is impossible; yathaa = as ; adharmabuddheH = to the wicked minded; gatiH = going; svargam = to heaven(is impossible)"
"O, Prahasta! The series of actions king or Mahodara as also yourself and Kumbhakarna propose to take against Rama are impossible of being accomplished, any more than going to heaven by wicked minded persons."
वधस्तु रामस्य मया त्वया च |
प्रहस्त सर्वैरपि राक्षसैर्वा |
कथम् भवेदर्थविशारदस्य |
महार्णवम् तर्तु मिवाप्लवस्य || ६-१४-११
11. katham = how; bhavet = is it possible; mayaa = by me; tvayaacha = or by you; sarvaH = or by all; raakshhasairvaa = demons; vadhaH = the killing; raamasya = of Rama; arthavishaaradasya = who is expert in any matter; tartum iva = like crossing; mahaarNavam = a great ocean; aplavasya = by a person without a bark"
"How is it possible by me or by you or by all the demons to kill Rama, who is expert in all matters, any more than a person without a bark to cross a great ocean."
धर्मप्रधानस्य महारथस्य |
इक्स्वाकुवंशप्रभवस्य राज्ञः |
पुरोऽस्य देवाश्च तथाविधस्य |
कृत्येषु शक्तस्य भवन्ति मूढाः || ६-१४-१२
12. "devashcha = Even the celestials; bhavanti = become; muuDhaaH = bewildered; puraH = before; raaG^yaH = the king; asya = Rama; tathaavidhasya = of such qualities as whose priority is righteousness; ;mahaarathasya = who is great car warrior; ikshhvaakuvamsha prabhavesya = who was born in Ikshvaku dynasty; shaktasya = who is capable of accomplishing; kR^iteshhu = his objects."
"Even the celestials would feel bewildered when placed in front of the king Rama who gives priority to righteousness, is a great car warrior, was born in the dynasty of Ikshvaku and is capable of accomplishing his objects."
तीक्षणा न तावत्तव कङ्कपत्रा |
दुरापदा राघवविप्रमुक्ताः |
भित्त्वाशरीरम् प्रविशन्ति बाणाः |
प्रहस्त तेनैव विकत्थसे त्वम् || ६-१४-१३
13. prahasta = O;Prahasta ! baaNaaH = the arrows; raaghavavipramuktaaH = released by Rama; tiikshhNaaH = which are sharp; kaN^kapatraaH = furnished with heron's feathers; duraasadaaH = which are dangerous to be approached; na pravishanti taavat = did not penetrate; bhittavaa = piercing; tava = your; shariiram = body; tenaina = for that reason; tvam = you; vikatthase = are boasting"
"O, Prahasta! The sharp arrows discharged by Rama, which are furnished with heron's feathers and are dangerous to be approached, have not yet penetrated, duly piercing, your body. That is why, you indulge in a boastful talk."
भित्त्वा न तावत्प्रविशन्ति कायम् |
शिताः शरा राघवविप्रमुक्ताः |
प्रहस्त तेनैव विकत्थसे त्वम् || ६-१४-१४
14. prahaste = O;Prahasta! SharaaH = The arrows; praaNaahtakaaH = which are fatal; ashanitulyavegaaH = having the speed of a thunderbolt; shitaaH = and are sharp; raaghave vipramuktaaH = discharged by Rama; na taavat pravishanti = have not yet penetrated; bhitvaa = splitting; te = your; kaayam = body; tenaiva = that is why; tvam = you; vikatthase = are boasting."
"The sharp and fatal arrows, discharged by Rama with the speed of a thunderbolt, have not yet penetrated, duly splitting your body. That is why; you are indulged in a boastful talk."
न रावणो नाइबलस्त्रीशीर्षो |
न कुम्भकर्णस्य सुतो निकुभः |
न चेन्द्रजिद्दाशरथिम् प्रसोढुम् |
त्वम् वा रणे शक्रसमम् समर्थः || ६-१४-१५
15. raavaNaH = Ravana; nasamarthaH = is not capable; na = nor; trishiirshhaH = Triseersha; atibalaH = with great strength; na = nor; Indrajit = Indrajit; tvam vaa = nor yourself; soDhum = to withstand; daasharathim = Rama; shakrasamam = equal to Indra; raNe = in battle."
"Ravana or Triseersha, with great strength or Nikumbha the son of Kumbhakarna or Indrajit or yourself are not capable to withstand Rama, who is equal in strength to Indra, in battle."
देवान्तको वापि नरान्तको वा |
तथातिकायोऽतिरथो महात्मा |
स्थातुम् न शक्ता युधि राघवस्य || ६-१४-१६
16. devaantakova.api = or even Devantaka ; naraatakovaa:or Narantaka; tathaa:and;atikaayaH:Atikaya;atirathaH:or Atiratha; mahaatmaa = of gigantic proportions; akampanashcha = or Akampana; adrisamaana saaraH = who is mighty as an ocean; na shaktaaH = are not capable; sthaatum = to withstand; yudhi = in battle; raaghavasya = against Rama."
"Even Devantaka or Narantaka or Atikaya or Atiratha of gigantic proportions, or Akampana who is mighty as an ocean are not capable to withstand against Rama in battle."
अयम् च राजा न्यसनाभिभूतो |
अन्वास्यते राक्षसनाशनार्थे |
तीक्षणः प्रकृत्या ह्यसमीक्ष्यकारी || ६-१४-१७
17. ayam raajaa = this king; vyasanaabhibhuutaH = who is over come by evil addictions*; tiikshhNaH = is rude; prakR^ityaa = in nature; asamiikshhyakaarii = and acts inconsiderately; raakshhanaashanarthe = for the destruction of demons; anvaasyate = he is being seated round as a caucus; bhavadbhiH = by you; mitraiH = who are his friends; amitrapratimaiH = taking the form of enemies."
"This king who is overcome by evil addictions, * is rude in nature and acts inconsiderately. Such a king is being surrounded as a caucus by you who are his companions taking the form of his enemies for the ultimate destruction of demons."
*The following are the seven evil habits to which kings are generally found addicted: --Harshness of speech and severity of punishment, extravagance, drinking, love of women, hunting and gambling.
अनन्तभोगेन सहस्रमूर्ध्ना |
वागेन भीमेन महाबलेन |
बलात्परिक्षिप्तमिमम् भवन्तो |
राजानमुत्क्षिप्य विमोचयन्तु || ६-१४-१८
18. bhavantaH = you; utekshhipya = lift up; vimochayantu = and release; imaam raajaanam = this king; parikshhiptam = who has been wrapped; balata = forcibly; bhiimana = by terrific; naagena = snake; mahaabalena = exceedingly strong; ananta bhogena = of boundless proportions; sahasra muurdhnaa = having thousand hoods."
"You lift up and release this king, who has been wrapped forcibly by a terrific and exceedingly strong snake of boundless proportions having thousand hoods and make him completely free."
यावद्धि केशग्रहणात्सुहृद्भिः |
समेत्य सर्वैः परिपूर्णकामैः |
निगृह्य राजा परिरक्षितव्यो |
भूतैर्यथा भीमबलैर्गृहीअः || ६-१४-१९
19. sarvaiH = all; suhR^IdbhiH = the well wishers; paripuurNakaamaiH = who are getting their desires fulfilled (by the king); sametya = should come together; raajaa parirakshhitavyaHhi = and the king is indeed to be protected; nigR^ihya = by coersion; keshagrahaNaat yaavat = even by pulling his hair; gR^ihiitaH yathaa = as one who is taken possession of ; bhuutaiH = by evil spirits; bhiimabalaiaH = of terrific strength."
"All the well-wishers who are getting their desires fulfilled by the king, should come together and protect the king by coercion even by pulling his hair if necessary as one who is taken ossession of by evil spirits with terrific strength, is protected by one's kith and kin."
सुवारिणा राघवसागरेण |
प्रच्चाद्यमानस्तरसा भवद्भिः |
प्रच्चाद्यमानस्तरसा भवद्भिः |
युक्तस्त्वयम् तारयितुम् समेत्य |
काकुत्थ्सपातालमुखे पतन्सः || ६-१४-२०
20. ayam = this Ravana; prachchaadyamaanaH = who is going to be enveloped; tarasaa = forcibly; raaghavasaagareNa = with full of excellent water; patan = and who is about to fall; kaakutthsa paataala mukhe = into the mouth of Patala (the nethermost subterranean region; ); in the shape of Rama; yuktaH = is fit; taarayitum = to be saved; sametya = united; bhavidbhiH = by you."
"This Ravana, for his part who is going to be enveloped forcibly by an ocean in the shape of Rama - which is full of excellent water (who possesses excellent moral character) and who is about to fall into the mouth of Patala (the nethermost subterranean region) in the shape of Rama, is fit to be rescued united by you."
इदम् पुरस्यास्य सराक्षसस्य |
राज्ञश्च पथ्यम् ससुहृज्जनस्य |
सम्यग्घि वाक्यम् स्वमतम् ब्रवीमि |
नरेन्द्रपुत्राय ददातु मैथिलीम् || ६-१४-२१
21. braviimihi = I am indeed telling; samyak = rightly; idam vaakyam = these words; pathyam = which are wholesome; svamatam = as per my opinion; asya = to this; parasya = city; paraakshhasasya = and the demons residing init; raaG^yashcha = to the king; sasuhR^ijjanasya = along with his well wishers; maithiliim = Let Sita; dadaatu = be given back; narendraputraaya = to Rama".
"I am telling these right and wholesome words, as per my opinion, to this city and the demons inhabiting in it as well as to the king and his well wishers: Let Sita be given back to Rama."
परस्य वीर्यम् स्वबलम् च बुद्ध्वा |
स्थानम् क्षयम् चैव तथैव वृद्धिम् |
तथा स्वपक्षे प्यनुमृश्य बुद्ध्या |
वद्त् क्षमम् स्वामिहितम् स मन्त्री || ६-१४-२२
22. buddhvaa = knowing; viiryam = the strength; parasya = of the enemies; svabalamcha = and our own strength; anumR^Ishya = grasping; buddhyaa = by the intellect; tathaa = like wise; sthaanam = the status quo; kshhayamchaiva = the fall; tathaiva = and; vR^iddhim = rise; svapakshhe = in our army; vadet = (he who) speaks; svaamihitam = in the interest of the king; khhamam = in a befitting manner; saH = he; mantrii = is the councellor".
"A counselor is he, who after knowing the strength of the enemies and that of his own (master) and even so duly grasping with his intellect, the status quo, fall, or rise in military power like-wise on both sides, renders advice which is appropriate to the interest of his king."
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे चतुर्दशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© August 2003, K. M. K. Murthy
rama and who
moved by FREE Go FTP Client