Advised by Mahaparsva to take charge of Sita by force, Ravana expresses his inability to do so, because of a curse pronounced against him by Brahma (lord of creation) in the past. Ravana then boasts of his own prowess.
रावणम् क्रुद्धमाज्ञाय महापार्श्वो महाबलः |
मुहूर्त मनुसंचिन्त्य प्राञ्जलिर्वाक्य मब्रवीत् || ६-१३-१
1. aaG^yaaya = noticing; raavaNam = Ravana; kruddham = enraged; mahaabalaaH = a very strong; mahaapaarshvaH = Mahaparsva; anusanchintya = thought; muhuurtam = for a while; praaNjaliH = and with joined palms; abraviit = spoke; vaakyam = these words:
Perceiving Ravana enraged, a very strong demon named Mahaparsva thought for a while and with joined palms, spoke as follows:
यः खल्वपि वनम् प्राप्य मृगव्यालनिषेवितम् |
न पिबेन्मधु सम्प्राप्य स नरो बालिशो ध्रुवम् || ६-१३-२
2. khaluapi = besides indeed; yaH naraH = which man; praapya = after reaching; vanam = a forest; mR^igavyaala nishhevitam = inhabited by wild beasts and vicious elephants; sampraapya = obtained; madhu = honey; na pibet = does not drink; saH = he; dhruvam = surely; baalishaH = is a fool."
"That man indeed is a fool, who after reaching a forest inhabited by wild beasts and vicious elephants and having duly found honey, does not drink it."
ईश्वरस्येश्वरः कोऽस्ति तव शत्रुनिबर्हण |
रमस्व सह वैदेह्या शत्रूनाक्रम्य मूर्धसु || ६-१३-३
3. shatrunibarhaNa = O; annihilator of enemies! KaH = who; asti = is; iishvaraH = a lord; tava = to you; iishvarsya = who are a lord of all? aakramya = stepping upon; muurdhasu = the heads; shatruun = of your enemies; ramasva = you take pleasure; vaidehyaa saha = with Sita."
"O,annihilator of enemies! Who is a lord to you, who are a lord of all? Setting your foot upon the heads of your enemies, take pleasure with Sita."
बलात्कुक्कुटवृत्तेन प्रवर्तस्व महाबल |
अक्रम्याक्रम्य सीताम् वै ताम् भुङिक्स्व च रमस्व च || ६-१३-४
4. mahaabala = O; ruler endowed with a mighty prowess! pravartasva = Behave; kukkuTa vR^ittena = in the mode of a cock; balata = using force against her; bhuNkshhva = enjoy; taam siitaam = that Sita; aakramya aakramya = charging and charging; ramasya cha = and revel with her."
"O, ruler endowed with a mighty prowess! Act in the mode of a cock, forcibly against her. Enjoy that Sita, by charging on her again and again and revel with her."
लब्धकामस्य ते पश्चादागमिष्यति किम् भयम् |
प्राप्तमप्राप्तकालम् वा सर्वम् प्रतिविधास्यते || ६-१३-५
5. kim bhayam = what fear; aagamishhyati = will come; pashchaat = after; labdhakaamasya = fulfilling your lust? sarvam = All; praaptum = that comes; apraaptakaalam = or yet to come ; pratividhaanyate = will be prevented."
"What fear will be there to you, after fulfilling your lust? All that comes or yet to come will be prevented (by us)."
कुम्भकर्णः सहास्माभिरिन्द्रजिच्च महाबलः |
प्रतिषेधयितुम् शक्तौ सवज्रमपि वज्रिणम् || ६-१३-६
6. kumbhakarNaH = Kumbhakarna; indrajitcha = and Indrajit; mahaabalaH = of great might; asmaabhiHcha = with us; shaktou = are capable; pratishhedhayitum = of keeping off; vajriNam api = even Devendra(god of celestials); savajram = wielding the weapon of a thunderbolt".
"Kumbhakarna and Indrajit of great might together with us are capable of keeping off even Devendra (god of celestials), wielding the weapon of a thunderbolt."
उपप्रदानम् सान्त्वम् वा भेदम् वा कुशलैः कृतम् |
समतिक्रम्य दण्डेन सिद्धिमर्थेषु रोचये || ६-१३-७
7. samatikramya = having overstepped; upapradaanam = the method of giving away gifts; saa stvam vaa = or gentle means; bhedamvaa = or showing dissention; kR^itam = being done; kushalaiH = by right men ;rochaye = I like; siddhim = accomplishment; artheshhu = in actions; daNDena = through hostility."
"Overstepping the methods of giving away gifts or conciliation or even showing dissention being followed by right men, I like accomplishment of actions through hostile means."
इह प्राप्तान्वयम् सर्वान् शत्रूंस्तव महाबल |
वशे शस्त्रप्रतापेन करिष्यामो न संशयः || ६-१३-८
8. mahaabala = O; ruler endowed with great might! Vayam = We; karishhyaamaH = shall make; sarvaan = all; tava = your; shatruun = enemies; praaptaan = reached; iha = here; vashe = to surrender; shastraprataapena = by the power of our weapons; na samshayaH = there is no doubt."
"O, ruler endowed with great might! We shall make all your enemies reaching here to surrender, by the power of our weapons. There is no doubt about it."
एवमुक्तस्तदा राजा महापार्श्वएन रावणः |
तस्य सम्पूजयन्वाक्यमिदम् वचनमब्रवीत् || ६-१३-९
9. tadaa = then; sampuujayan = appreciating; tasya = his; vaakyam = words; evam = thus; uktaH = spoken; mahaapaarshvena = by Mahaparsva; raajaa = king; raavaNaH = Ravana; abraviit = spoke; idam = these; vachanam = words:
Appreciating the words spoken thus by Mahaparsva, King Ravana spoke the following words:
महापार्श्व निबोध त्वम् रहस्यम् किंचिदात्मनः |
चिरवृत्तम् तदाख्यास्ये यदवाप्तम् पुरा मया || ६-१३-१०
10. mahaapaarshva = " O;Mahaparsva; nibodha = know; kimchit = a little; rahasyam = secret; aatmanaH = about me; aakhyaasye = I shall tell; tat = that; yat = which; avaaptam = was obtained; mayaa = by me; puraa = previously; chiravR^ittaam = which occurred long ago."
"O, Mahaparsva! Know a little secret about me. I shall tell you an incident, which occurred to me long ago."
पितामहस्य भवनम् गच्चन्तीम् पुञ्जिकस्थलाम् |
चञ्चूर्यमाणामद्राक्षमाकाशेऽग्निशिखामिव || ६-१३-११
11. adraakshham = I saw; puNjikasthala = Punjikasthala; (by name); agnishikhaamiva = gleaming like a flame; chaNchuuryamaaNaam = concealing herself (for fear of me); aakaashe = in the sky; gachchhantiim = and proceeding; bhavanam = to the abode; pitaamahasya = of Brahma."
"Once I saw a celestial nymph, Punjikasthala(by name) flashing like a flame, concealing herself in the sky and proceeding towards the abode of Brahma."
सा प्रसह्य मया भुक्ता कृता विवसना ततः |
स्वयम्भूभवनम् प्राप्ता लोलिता नलिनी यथा || ६-१३-१२
12. saa = she; kR^itaa = was made; vivasanaa = unclothed; bhuktaa = and was enjoyedmayaa = by me; prahasya = forcibly; tataH = thereafter; praaptaa = she reached; svayambhuu bhavanam = the abode of Brahma; naliniiyathaa = like a lotus; lolitaa = which was crumled."
"She was made unclothed by me and was enjoyed forcibly. Thereafter, appearing like a crumpled lotus, she went to the abode of Brahma."
तच्च तस्य तदा मन्ये ज्ञातमासीन्महात्मनः |
अथ सम्कुपितो वेधा मामिदम् वाक्यमब्रवी || ६-१३-१३
13. manye = I think; tachcha = it; G^yaatam = was informed; tadaa = then; tasya = to Brahma; mahaatmanaH = the high soled; atha = and then; samkupitaH = the enraged; vedhaaH = Brahama; abraviit = spoke; idam = these; vaakyam = words; maam = to me."
"I think that the matter was made known to the high soled Brahama and then the enraged Brahma spoke to me the following words:
अद्यप्रभृति यामन्याम् बलान्नारीम् गमिष्यसि |
तदा ते शतधा मुर्धा फलिष्यति न संशयः || ६-१३-१४
14. adya prabhR^ti = from today onwards; gamishhyasi = if you revel with ; yaam anyaam = any other; naariim = woman; balaan = forcibly; tadaa = then; te = your; muurthaa = head; phalishhyati = will break asunder; shatadhaa = into hundred (pieces); na samshayaH = there is no doubt."
"From today onwards, if you revel with any other woman forcibly, your head then undoubtedly will break asunder into a hundred pieces."
इत्यहम् तस्य शापस्य भीतः प्रसभमेव ताम् |
नारोहये बलात्सीताम् वैदेहीम् शय्ने शुभे || ६-१३-१५
15. bhiitaH = fearing; tasya = his; shaapasya = curse; iti = in this manner; aham = I; naarohye taam siitaam vaidehiim = am not making that Sita; the daughter of king Videha to mount; shube = (my) beautiful; shayane = bed; prasabhameva = hurriedly."
"Fearing the curse given in this manner by Brahama, I am not violently making Sita the daughter of Videha, to mount on my beautiful bed forcibly."
सागरस्येव मे वेगो मारुतस्येव मे गतिः |
नैतद्दाशरथिर्वेद ह्यापादयति तेन माम् || ६-१३-१६
16. me = my; vegaH = swiftness; saagarasyeva = is like that of an ocean; me = my; gatiH = movement; maarutasyeva = is like that of wind; daasarathiH = Rama = na veda = does not know; etad = this; tena = that is why; aasaadayati hi = he is indeed attacking; maam = me."
"My swiftness is like that of an ocean. My movement is like that of a wind. Rama does not know this and hence he is indeed having an encounter with me."
को हि सिम्हमिवासीनम् सुप्तम् गिरिगुहाशये |
क्रुद्धम् मृत्युमिवाऽसीनम् सम्बोधयितुमिच्चति || ६-१३-१७
17. kohi = who; ichchhati = wants; sambodhayitum = to arouse; (me); aasiinam = sitting; simham iva = like a lion; suptam = sleeping; giriguhaashaye = at a place in a mountain cave; mR^ityum iva = like death; aasiinam = sitting; kR^Iddham = enraged."
"If not otherwise, who wants to arouse me (for a combat) as one would awaken a lion asleep, sitting at a place in a mountain cave or arouse into activity an enraged Death?"
न मत्तो निर्गतान् बाणान् द्विजिह्वान् पन्न्गानिव |
रामः पश्यति सम्ग्रामे तेन मामभिगच्चति || ६-१३-१८
18. raamaH = Rama; na pashyati = did not see; baaNaam = the arrows; pannagaaniva = looking like serpents; dvijihvaan = with two tongues; nirgataan = coming forth; mattaH = from me; tena = for that reason; abhigachchhati = he is coming against; maam = me; samgraame = in battle."
"Rama did not see the arrows, looking like two tongued serpents, coming forth from me. That is why he is marching against me for a battle"
क्षिप्रम् वज्रसमैर्बाणैः शतधा कार्मुकचुतैः |
राममादीपयिष्यामि उल्कभिरिव कुञ्जरम् || ६-१३-१९
19. aadiipayishhyaami = I shall blaze up; raamam = Rama; kshhipram = quickly; baaNaiH = by arrows; vajrasamaiH = resembling thunderbolts; shatadhaa = in hundreds; kaarmukachyutaiH = released from my bow; kuNjaram iva = like an elephant; ullaabhiH = with fire brands."
"I shall blaze up Rama swiftly with my arrows in hundreds resembling thunder bolts discharged from my bow, like tormenting an elephant with fire brands."
तच्चास्य बलमादास्ये बलेन महता वृतः |
उदितः सविता काले नक्षत्राणाम् प्रभामिव || ६-१३-२०
20. vR^itaH = surrounded; mahataa balena = by a great army; aadasya = I shall take away; asya = his; tat = that; balam = strength; prabhaamiva = like taking away the light; nakshhatraaNaam = of the stars; uditaH = by a rising; savitaa = sun; kaale = in dawn."
"Surrounded by great army, I shall take away that strength of Rama, as a rising sun at dawn takes away radiance of the stars."
न वासवेनापि सहस्रचक्षुषा |
युधास्मि शक्यो वरुणेन वा पुनः |
मया त्वियम् बाहुबलेन निर्जिता |
पुरा पुरी वैश्रवणेन पालिता || ६-१३-२१
21. vaasavenaapi = even by Devendra(Lord of celestials) ; sahasra chakshhushhaa = with thousand eyes; varuNenavaa = or by Varuna(king of the universe); nashakyaH asmi = I am not capable of being conquered; yudhaa = in a battle; puraa = once; iyam purii = this city; paalitaa = ruled; vaishrevaNena = by Kubera; (Lord of riches); nirjitaa = was conquered; mayaa = by me; baahubalena = with the power of my arms."
"Even Devendra (lord of celestials) with thousand eyes or Varuna (king of the Universe) can not conquer me in battle. Once upon a time, this city of Lanka ruled by Kubera (Lord of riches) was conquered by me with the power of my arms."
- - - -
इत्यार्षे श्रीमद्रामायणे आदिकाव्ये युद्धकाण्डे त्रयोदशः सर्गः
|Top of Page||1||2||3||4|
© July 2003, K. M. K. Murthy